Old 01-31-2007, 01:38 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by spiff72 View Post

OK all, I am looking for some advice...

I had a Sammy LN-4695 deliverer from BB on 1/25 and I have it hooked up to my Series 3 Tivo, a PS3, and an S2 Tivo. I have been seeing the diagonal lines (or waves) sometimes on SD content (from both the S2 and S3 Tivo's). I can deal with this because it is SD content anyway.

I noticed last night, though, that when watching a hockey game on HDNet that the picture seemed very "noisy". In other words, there seemed to be noticeable mosquito noise, and I noticed during the intermission when they were showing the commentators that their black sportcoats looked very strange. The black wasn't a uniform black - it seemed to flicker and had some pixellization going on. I REALLY noticed this when I sat on the floor right in front of the TV to connect my laptop directly to my router which is in my entertainment center. This blocky display really jumped out at me, and after I went back to my normal viewing distance, I could still see this.

Later, when Saturday Night Live was on, I noticed a similar effect during the live performance of Ludacris. There were some strobe lights (which always wreak havoc on HDTV images - especially 1080i broadcasts), but the lights weren't firing at the end of his performance. There were times when there was nearly no motion in the picture, and I could still see a surprising amount of macroblocking (if this is the right terminology).

This prompted me to second-guess this purchase and I started looking for alternatives again.

I like the Sharp, but I am still afraid of the banding issues. I am also interested in the Sony XBR2 46", but this one is too pricey for my current budget (BB had it on sale last week, but it went off sale today). I have a 32" XBR1 model that is in the bedroom - I like this TV, but to be honest, I have had a hard time getting the color to look right - especially fleshtones). I also am interested in the 46" Mits 1080p LCD's, but they aren't carried at BB, and I really like their financing deals right now (36 months with no interest). I have a 62" Mits DLP downstairs that I have had for about 2-1/2 years, and I have been very happy with it.

I am torn. I am trying to figure out if the flaws I saw last night will continue to bother me. I am watching King Kong in HD right now (recorded on the S3 off from Cinemax HD) and it looks pretty good. The PS3 looks really good too. I wanted the 1080p for "future-proofing", and to get the full benefit from the PS3.

Can anyone comment on their experience with the PQ with channels like HDNet and NBC? I am wondering if this is because these are 1080i channels and the Sammy doesn't deal with them well. I tried setting the Tivo to output 720p fixed while watching these channels but it didn't seem to help.

Any comments/advice are appreciated!

Jeff

Have you calibrated the set yet? How do you other HD channels look? I can tell the difference between my HDs with Discovery HD being consistently AWESOME! You mentioned getting close to the set and seeing issues, I think this is normal. I only have the 40" based on my normal viewing distance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-31-2007, 02:19 PM
AVS Club Gold

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by gui3 View Post

thanks for all the great info in this thread!

i have a few questions:

(1) FIRST - do i have this right? with the 4696 & 95...
- PC input is 1:1 with no overscan over VGA, but color is better over DVI-HDMI
- over DVI-HDMI there's 2% overscan (but this can be fixed with software)
- the 2% overscan would result in 2% of the taskbar (for example) not being visible

(2) when using as a PC monitor, will it be a problem viewing it from ~4 feet away?

(3) i saw the x4695 alongside a sharp 46D62u at circuit city, both on 720p. the colors and detail on the samsung looked way better. is this a function of calibration or is the samsung really better in that respect?

(4) for calibration, has anyone used the calibration video that came with windows media center?

Its a lot more than 2% as far as I can see - I think it's more like 5%. It's very significant. On some overscanning displays I can still see menu bars on my PC and use it, but on the Samsung I can't unless I'm using VGA.

Other than that, the picture would be class-leading.

EDIT: I am a VERY happy man The Samsung "JustScan" firmware update has fixed my overscanning issues!! This is just what I was hoping for. THANK YOU to those of you who posted these firmware updates (1026 for the xx95 and 1024 for the xx96).

And THANK YOU to Samsung for this very important release!

Enjoy this great TV!
Old 01-31-2007, 04:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by laurie_lu View Post

Just checked mine. It says 1012

mimne the same 1012 with an Auguest date next to it. but on the back on my tv it says built in dec 06

How do you upgrade the version to the newest one?>
Old 01-31-2007, 05:26 PM

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdjam View Post

Its a lot more than 2% as far as I can see - I think it's more like 5%. It's very significant. On some overscanning displays I can still see menu bars on my PC and use it, but on the Samsung I can't unless I'm using VGA.

have you tried under-scanning to compensate over DVI?

if so, what resolution?
is the picture still as good? and how does it compare to the 1:1 on VGA?
colors "washed out"?

i'm psyched, this may be the TV for me.
Old 01-31-2007, 06:51 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Here are my questions....

-Did anyone get the 4696D from any BB or CC? I called both and they were not even available to me, so I got the 4695D.
-Is there a way to listen to or swap the audio when viewing PIP?
-Is there a way to change the audio out to variable rather than fixed? I have a powered sub hooked up.
-What is film mode and why does it only work on SD channels?
-Does the auto sound even do anything?
ERIC
Old 01-31-2007, 09:21 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
You can find out how many hours are on your set by accessing the service menu. However, you can also screw things up when in the service menu!
ERIC

Quote:
Originally Posted by tunnelight06 View Post

It absolutely, positively did not prompt me to answer this. Now, I'm even more ticked, because this confirms my initial suspicions. I'm not so sure a savings of $300 is worth buying a used set, depending I guess on how much it was used. Oh well, I guess it's a done deal now, I'm beyond the 30 days.

Old 01-31-2007, 11:03 PM

Liked: 14
are there any issues - other than the PC DVI overscan - that are known with this set?

ive been tracking a bunch of models on the site and this thread seems devoid of the kind of consistent issues that plague others (westy, sharp)
Old 02-01-2007, 05:35 AM

I have a Samsung 4095 that has developed the following problem. When using the
HDMI output from a Time Warner 8300hd dvr to the HDMI input on the set, the cable box freezes or locks up. Can't power down or change channels at dvr or the remote. I have to unplug the dvr and re boot it. works for a few minutes then freezes again. Change HDMI cables, Component cables work Ok.. Samsung says it is a Time Warner problem.?
Time Warner will look at the situation tomorrow. Any ideas would be appreciated.
Old 02-01-2007, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpok View Post

I have a Samsung 4095 that has developed the following problem. When using the
HDMI output from a Time Warner 8300hd dvr to the HDMI input on the set, the cable box freezes or locks up. Can't power down or change channels at dvr or the remote. I have to unplug the dvr and re boot it. works for a few minutes then freezes again. Change HDMI cables, Component cables work Ok.. Samsung says it is a Time Warner problem.?
Time Warner will look at the situation tomorrow. Any ideas would be appreciated.

TW problem is my thought too. They should change out your box. I have the same setup without issue. Good luck!
Old 02-01-2007, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdjam View Post

I don't see the overscan issue. DVE displayed a pattern out to 2.5% I could see it just fine. It was right on the edge of my 4095d. What am I missing other than 2.5% that has little if any vital content? Thanks
Old 02-01-2007, 02:09 PM

OK,

First time posting so don't kill me...
After days & nights of thinking & reviewing everthing, that everyone has posted on flat tv's...
I purchased a Samsung LN4696 D. I recieved it yesterday, shipped to Los Angeles from Crutchfield. The box was slightly damaged but no sign of internal damage. I mounted the articulating wall bracket last night, cut wiring holes & hope to hang tonight. Thanks to everyone who wrote there experience on the unit.
Old 02-01-2007, 02:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Runner View Post

TW problem is my thought too. They should change out your box. I have the same setup without issue. Good luck!

Sorry I failed to mention, I have already changed the 8300HD DVR.
Old 02-01-2007, 03:52 PM

Mura came back slowly last night (after all day in Energy Save Hi) over several hours, but much less noticeable this time.

I left it on all night on Hi again, and have now reset to No Energey Saver to None. After like five hours, I can barely see it starting to return.

I scheduled a service call on the thing, but it looks like this Energy Save trick actually works.

Good luck to all!

Oh, I forgot to mention that I am getting a great OTA signal from a Terk HDTVs Antenna Pro that I mounted on the mast where my satellite dish used to be. It was really easy because all the hardware and cabling was already there. I just have to get a diplexer so I can send the antenna signal to my computer room and record OTA HD to my ATI TV Wonder 650. Anyone that needs info on that beast, let me know; it's actually pretty cool.
Old 02-01-2007, 06:08 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by gui3 View Post

have you tried under-scanning to compensate over DVI?

if so, what resolution?
is the picture still as good? and how does it compare to the 1:1 on VGA?
colors "washed out"?

i'm psyched, this may be the TV for me.

I underscan using my video card and it looks just fine to me. Much better than VGA.
Old 02-01-2007, 08:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by technewbie View Post

I remember it is 1021.

FYI - Mine is 1020 with a date of 12/28/06
Old 02-01-2007, 08:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Runner View Post

FYI - Mine is 1020 with a date of 12/28/06

I would like to update mine to version 1020 but I don't know how. I suppose I would need to call Samsung and ask for it to be sent to me.
Old 02-01-2007, 09:21 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by chappy16775 View Post

I underscan using my video card and it looks just fine to me. Much better than VGA.

Why is the HDMI so much better than VGA?
Old 02-02-2007, 05:44 AM

I'm currently considering purchasing the LN-S4095D and i had a couple questions im hoping some owners can answer for me. Does its accept 1080P via HDMI (specifcally for PS3) and does it support 1080P cia component (specifically X-Box 360). Ive been google searching for days and so far havent found a definitive answer to this.
Old 02-02-2007, 06:36 AM

Hi,

I just got a lns4095d yesterday and have a couple of questions....

1. Someone here referenced a humming noise and I have the same thing, only it is really loud. Noticable from 10 to 15 feet away. I had to same problem with a LG that I tried and didn't like. I didn't hear it when I initially turned on the TV but a couple hours later when I came back and the better half was watching I immediately heard it. Will this eventually go away?

2. In all SD channels (16:9) mode. You get the black bars on the both side of the picture (which I know you will get), but on the right side of the picture in the black bar area, there is a white line made of dashes running vertically right beside the actual picture. What is this?

3. Warranty - Is it worth it? Sort of a loaded question as everyone has a different opinion. I got it but I can return the warrently if I don't want it within 30 days.

I figure I will take the TV back to get a different one to see if the above problems go away.

BTW, HD in this TV ROCKS picture is awesome...... SD, close to the CRT we used to have.

Thanks.....
Old 02-02-2007, 07:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wooha2000 View Post

2. In all SD channels (16:9) mode. You get the black bars on the both side of the picture (which I know you will get), but on the right side of the picture in the black bar area, there is a white line made of dashes running vertically right beside the actual picture. What is this?

I may need to be corrected but that junk you see is the reason why TVs have been made with overscan in the past. Overscan on a CRT will cut that junk out of the picture so you don't see it.
Old 02-02-2007, 07:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrasMack View Post

I may need to be corrected but that junk you see is the reason why TVs have been made with overscan in the past. Overscan on a CRT will cut that junk out of the picture so you don't see it.

Thanks.... The interesting thing is that I didn't notice this on the other sets I was testing.... SHARP 40U, LG,...it only happened on 1 station but on the SAMMY it happens on all SD stations. I assume then it is the way that Samsung does this? If so, all of the 4095d models have the same probem?
Old 02-02-2007, 07:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfogarty5 View Post

There COULD be a generic issue in the VGA connection is more susceptible interference along the cable (being analog) than HDMI (being digital). But I have concluded that the issue revolves around an ability to "calibrate" the VGA signal from it's source.

I have used analog (VGA) and digital (DVI) monitor connections for year and years (computer to LCD monitor). Frankly I have seen very little difference between the two, but ANY difference I can easily deal with the color management software I have built into my OS.

Further, this is all obvious to anyone who has done professional image editing, but possibly quite foreign to the average consumer.

Time Warner NYC (Man North Head End) - 8742HD DVR ODN 5.2.0_9

Old 02-02-2007, 08:32 AM
AVS Club Gold

Liked: 11
Activity seems to have picked up on this thread. For those of you who may be beyond the normal return/exchange period, please see my post from a couple of days ago on the larger thread re: warranty coverage on this issue, if you haven't already seen it. I would like to know why this is such a huge CS service issue with the Sony owners of this panel, yet there are practically zero postings on Samsung's CS response:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...&&#post9648752

PetiePal's blog on Sony/Samsung 1080p cloudy/uneven backlight issue:

http://sonyclouding.blogspot.com

Main cloudy/uneven backlight thread (it's BIG, >5,000 posts). Please add to the poll. You can also click on the results w/out voting. (You will note that the OP has changed the thread to include Samsung panels, although if there is a difference between Samsung and Sony, this will obscure the poll results. Whatever....the problem is obviously widespread):

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...ighlight=cloud

Stew in Florida
Old 02-02-2007, 09:24 AM

Quote:

My experience with a PC with a GeForce 7900GS is that they are about the same. I could not tell a difference between the DVI through a DVI to HDMI cable and the VGA connection at 1920 x 1080. I have my energy savings set to high, so maybe this matters.

Nothing seems "washed out" as others have experienced. I use the Standard setting for my picture when I'm using the PC.

I also do not have any cloudy backlight issues. Could these be connected? It doesn't seem like it. "Washing out" would seem to be due to some sort of color mismapping.

After I brought the display up vanilla, I color corrected it using a Spider device and the colorspace barely changed. I could flip between the "before" and "after" images and detect only a slight change in the greens.
Old 02-02-2007, 10:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wooha2000 View Post

Hi,

I just got a lns4095d yesterday and have a couple of questions....

1. My set doesn't have this issue. Even if it goes away, I would worry about it coming back. It doesn't sound normal.
2. This is often due to the signal (information creeping into the image area). I don't watch that much SD on this set, but it's not something I've notice.
3. That's up to you. I got an extended warranty on my DLP 4 years ago, but I think LCD's have matured sufficiently that you're probably going to see problems early.

The hum issue would bother me, since I use mine in the bedroom and we have the volume low at night.
Old 02-02-2007, 03:18 PM

New observations on my cloudy mura streak on my LN-S4695.

I need to know what you guys think. The cloudy mura streak is only visable in the AV In 1 and AV In 2 with either S-Video or composite cables. It is completely absent in both component 1 & 2 and antenna air 1 inputs. I have not tired the HDMI ports yet since I don't own anything that hooks into those yet.

So what does this mean? Does it rule out anything in particular.
Old 02-02-2007, 05:42 PM

Quote:

I need to know what you guys think. The cloudy mura streak is only visable in the AV In 1 and AV In 2 with either S-Video or composite cables. It is completely absent in both component 1 & 2 and antenna air 1 inputs. I have not tired the HDMI ports yet since I don't own anything that hooks into those yet.

I would say it absolutely rules out using those inputs! ....sorry it's Friday!
Old 02-02-2007, 05:52 PM
AVS Club Gold

Liked: 11
Quote:

That is very unusual. Almost unbelievable. Try watching a Lunesta commercial for a real black OTA picture to confirm this. There are others, too. You are the first I have heard report this, and it doesn't really make sense. If you actually ever had white area mura, you should see it no matter what the input. Whatever the cause of your "streak," count yourself lucky it is not on the 1080 inputs and move on.

Stew in Florida
Old 02-02-2007, 08:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 22
I'd like to know why the LN-S4695 is AWFUL with Playstation 2 480i games. Final Fantasy XII looks so awful with component cables I'd almost call it unplayable. So many jaggies, especially in the FMV intro etc.

Old 02-02-2007, 09:48 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 44
All,

I am posting this on both the 4096/4696 and the 4095/4096/4695/4696 threads.

As I alluded to in an earlier post, I contacted Samsung earlier in the week and spoke to a level II technician about the justscan firmware update that allows 1:1 pixel mapping over the HDMI input. I told him that it had been released in the UK and in Korea and that all he had to do was contact headquarters in Korea. He said that he would contact the product support group and get back to me.

I decided to call back today and actually spoke to the same person I spoke to on Tuesday.

He looked through his email and sure enough the justscan firmware is coming to the US!!

He told me that it would be a few more weeks and that they were still deciding on whether they would send out USB drives or whether a technician would have to come out and do it.

This is great news!

Tags
Samsung Ln S4095d 40 Inch 1080p Lcd Hdtv , Samsung Ln S4695d 46 Inch Lcd Hdtv