OFFICIAL Samsung LN-S4095/4695/4096/4696 Owners Thread - Page 43 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1261 of 4616 Old 02-08-2007, 11:29 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Yes, I still have about 2 and a half weeks to exchange it in CC, but what makes you think that would be my best bet? The odds are high that I'll just get some more clouding (although if I ended up getting LESS clouding, that would make me happy). If I could pull off getting a refurbished TV sent, that's a much bigger guarantee of getting a cloudless set, right?

Also, I had a tech from Samsung stop over before, when I was having that ground loop problem. I mentioned the clouding to him, but didn't emphasize it much (told him it wasn't a major deal), and he said he'd make a mention of it in the report. He also gave me a receipt with a written number, saying that if I had any other problems, the number he wrote would be the quickest access.

So I was wondering if I could use that number and skip some of the BS you mentioned, and ask if they have any refurbished TV's specifically made to remove clouding?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1262 of 4616 Old 02-08-2007, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOLDIER View Post

Yes, I still have about 2 and a half weeks to exchange it in CC, but what makes you think that would be my best bet? The odds are high that I'll just get some more clouding (although if I ended up getting LESS clouding, that would make me happy). If I could pull off getting a refurbished TV sent, that's a much bigger guarantee of getting a cloudless set, right?

Also, I had a tech from Samsung stop over before, when I was having that ground loop problem. I mentioned the clouding to him, but didn't emphasize it much (told him it wasn't a major deal), and he said he'd make a mention of it in the report. He also gave me a receipt with a written number, saying that if I had any other problems, the number he wrote would be the quickest access.

So I was wondering if I could use that number and skip some of the BS you mentioned, and ask if they have any refurbished TV's specifically made to remove clouding?

My advice is to return the damn thing and try another brand or technology as the odds of success otherwise or not good, you are just beating yourself. I had to return my Sammy due to other issues and I am trying a Pioneer plasma.
post #1263 of 4616 Old 02-08-2007, 11:59 AM

I don't want to try another brand because anything else is too expensive (like a plasma with 1080p), and aside from the bleeding, which I COULD live with, the Samsung is perfect. But if there's a way to get a cloudless Samsung, I want to try it.
post #1264 of 4616 Old 02-08-2007, 01:03 PM
AVS Club Gold

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by SOLDIER View Post

Yes, I still have about 2 and a half weeks to exchange it in CC, but what makes you think that would be my best bet? The odds are high that I'll just get some more clouding (although if I ended up getting LESS clouding, that would make me happy). If I could pull off getting a refurbished TV sent, that's a much bigger guarantee of getting a cloudless set, right?............

I don't think Samsung CS will want to deal with this until you can no longer exchange, but are still within the warranty period. I would exchange it for another one right away. Most of the big box stores are now aware (finally!) of the problem, so I would definitely see if they will unbox the new one in a dark(er) part of the store for your live examination. They're not gonna wanna unbox every single one they have, that's for sure, so if the second one is NG, you can always try a Mit 46131 (which is gonna be more $ because I believe you have a 40",) or just get your money back and go through the same routine at another store.

Under no circumstances would I intentionally wind up beyond the return/exchange window, because we don't have enough definitive evidence yet as to how this issue is ultimately going to be resolved by Samsung CS. You would think you would get a good refurb, but nobody has yet reported here actually getting one. We may know (from ChristianZane's refurb) before your time is up, but that would be cutting it close.......

Additionally, see the following posts in the 52" thread:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...&&#post9719500

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...&&#post9721816

Stew in Florida
post #1265 of 4616 Old 02-08-2007, 01:24 PM

You really think Circuit City would unbox the TV and let me inspect it in the store? How many TVs do you think they would let me inspect?

What exactly is the word on Samsung regarding this issue? Have they mentioned that they're taking steps to rectify it? If so, then even if the new TV also has clouding, I wouldn't mind waiting if it means that Samsung CS will have a new policy on the clouding, and finding a permanent fix for it.
post #1266 of 4616 Old 02-08-2007, 11:52 PM
AVS Club Gold

Please read this entire page on the 52" thread:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...82#post9728182

Stew in Florida
post #1267 of 4616 Old 02-09-2007, 10:02 AM

Hi, I tried to look in Samsung's website and didn't find much. What are the differences between 4095 and 4096?

Thanks,
Ravi.
post #1268 of 4616 Old 02-09-2007, 05:44 PM

hey i was wondering if someone could help me find out what the difference between the ln-s4095 and the ln-s4096? thanks in advance.
post #1269 of 4616 Old 02-09-2007, 08:58 PM

4096 accepts a cable card and has a QAM tuner, whereas the 4095 does not.
post #1270 of 4616 Old 02-09-2007, 09:42 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravipkumar View Post

Hi, I tried to look in Samsung's website and didn't find much. What are the differences between 4095 and 4096?

.....and......

Quote:
Originally Posted by baller188 View Post

hey i was wondering if someone could help me find out what the difference between the ln-s4095 and the ln-s4096? thanks in advance.

See detail spec's from the Samsung website (it's all there):

________________4096D________4095D
DCR/Clear QAM_____Yes__________ No
IEEE 1394 _________Yes__________ No
RS232C(port audio) _Yes__________ No
USB(photo,MP3)____Yes___________No
Bezel_____________Clear_________Silver
Base______________Oval_________Square
Semi-lighted remote__Yes__________No

You can also download a .pdf of the complete owner's manuals

Stew in Florida
post #1271 of 4616 Old 02-09-2007, 11:12 PM

Hey, has anyone tried this guy's method in fixing the clouding?

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...&&#post9716103

I'm thinking of trying it myself, as it doesn't look too difficult. The only thing I'm wondering is if the inside of the Samsung would be just like the Sony pictured here. I don't want to end up removing a wrong screw by accident.
post #1272 of 4616 Old 02-10-2007, 09:25 AM

A poster (rickjh2) posted some pics of his screen before and after taking his TV apart like Viper did. The pics don't show much improvement but he claims to the naked eye in person that it is a huge improvement.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...&&#post9734461

I don't feel comfortable taking mine completely apart like Viper did since my return period has expired. Besides, I'd rather wait till a Samsung 95/96d owner can post pictures of the entire process step by step like Viper did.
post #1273 of 4616 Old 02-11-2007, 10:53 AM

I have the ln-s4095d and have no clouding issues on dark movies, games, or blank input even with the backlight all the way up. The problem I have is why would smamung not allown you to adjust color settings on the pc input. I have an xbox 360 with hd-dvd drive and the only way to get 1080p is through the pc input. The colors look washed to me. I was having this issue with my cable tv hooked through the hdmi port but was able to adjust the color to 70 and it looks great now. Why would they resrict it on pc input?
post #1274 of 4616 Old 02-11-2007, 05:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by superclown View Post

I have the ln-s4095d and have no clouding issues on dark movies, games, or blank input even with the backlight all the way up. The problem I have is why would smamung not allown you to adjust color settings on the pc input. I have an xbox 360 with hd-dvd drive and the only way to get 1080p is through the pc input. The colors look washed to me. I was having this issue with my cable tv hooked through the hdmi port but was able to adjust the color to 70 and it looks great now. Why would they resrict it on pc input?

Switch to an input that allows you to change the Color setting (Component, Antenna, etc.) and using the same saved settings that you use for the PC input (Custom, Dynamic, Standard, or Movie), change the Color level to whatever you want. Then switch back to the PC input and your changes should be retained. At least this works on my 4051. The only thing you can't change this way is Tint.
post #1275 of 4616 Old 02-12-2007, 08:45 AM

After reading most of the Sammy related posts, I apparently have a cloudiness issue with my 4095 and I just don't realize it. I for one am not going to try obtain the skill set of being able to recognize the cloudiness issue as my set looks great...ignorance is bliss! )

I guess the other thing to remember, forums like this tend to be a place where people come to post issues to get help or for other reasonsthose with no issues tend not to post about how great things are. Sometimes, after reading all the issue related posts, it gives the appearance of a more widespread problem then reality. Heck, for all we know, for every one set with an issue, there could be 100 + with none. We just don't hear about it. Just food for thought.
post #1276 of 4616 Old 02-12-2007, 09:30 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Runner View Post

After reading most of the Sammy related posts, I apparently have a cloudiness issue with my 4095 and I just don't realize it. I for one am not going to try obtain the skill set of being able to recognize the cloudiness issue as my set looks great...ignorance is bliss! )

I guess the other thing to remember, forums like this tend to be a place where people come to post issues to get help or for other reasonsthose with no issues tend not to post about how great things are. Sometimes, after reading all the issue related posts, it gives the appearance of a more widespread problem then reality. Heck, for all we know, for every one set with an issue, there could be 100 + with none. We just don't hear about it. Just food for thought.

You don't have a "cloudiness" (mura) issue. If you had it, you'd know it; no special skill set required, trust me on that. Unfortunately, it is quite common. You and I are lucky!

Stew in Florida
post #1277 of 4616 Old 02-12-2007, 11:07 AM

I've been looking at HD sets for a while, and last Thursday, finally went out and melted my credit card by purchasing a Samsung LN-S-4695D from CC. It was an open box return (Superbowl "rental").

My one issue with it so far is that I have a pixel that ends up stuck on green after the TV warms up. When the TV is just turned on, the pixel is usually stuck dark red. I wouldn't care if the pixel was black, but the bright green stands out very well in any scene with a black background.

I've attempted massaging the screen to no avail. Given that it was an open box, I'm wondering if CC will let me exchange it for a new model, or force me to pay the difference to get a new model instead. I did pay for the extended warranty with CC, hopefully that'll give me some leverage.

Anyone have any thoughts? Will Samsung replace if I call them?

Thanks.
post #1278 of 4616 Old 02-12-2007, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alec Myrddyn View Post

I've attempted massaging the screen to no avail. Given that it was an open box, I'm wondering if CC will let me exchange it for a new model, or force me to pay the difference to get a new model instead. I did pay for the extended warranty with CC, hopefully that'll give me some leverage.

Anyone have any thoughts? Will Samsung replace if I call them?

Warranty is warranty. If you have it, the store, nor Samsung can deny you. I would try CC and see if they give you a new model. It's open box and open box stuff is still covered so they should replace. If not, they sold you a warranty that ain't worth anything.
post #1279 of 4616 Old 02-12-2007, 02:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrasMack View Post

Warranty is warranty. If you have it, the store, nor Samsung can deny you. I would try CC and see if they give you a new model. It's open box and open box stuff is still covered so they should replace. If not, they sold you a warranty that ain't worth anything.

Good points, thanks.

I'm going to try a pixel exerciser tonight to see if I can fix the problem on my own.

Other than this one stuck pixel, everything else seems great. No clouding that I can see. I might complain minorly about black not being 100% black in a dark room, but that would me being perhaps a little too picky. I calibrated with the CC DVD, to roughly 35 brightness, 100 contrast, 40 color, DNIe off, DNR off, and E.Saving Low for most viewing. If I turn E.Savings higher, black gets a bit better, but if ther room has much light in it, the image isn't bright enough. I expected this from an LCD, so I'm really not complaining, just something to get used to.

The little green dot definitely interrupts my viewing though.
post #1280 of 4616 Old 02-12-2007, 02:47 PM

have a question which calble is better blue jeans cable or monoprice cable? as far as quality
post #1281 of 4616 Old 02-12-2007, 03:05 PM

STROBE LIGHTS..............holy cow!!! I was watching the Grammys in high def last night via OTA. Anytime a singer was on stage and the strobe lights or any flashing lights for that matter, were flashing, it caused severe pixelation all over the screen. In fact the pixilation was so bad that I could hardly see any fine detail. It looked like huge clear blocks all over the screen. Is this normal for an 1080p LCD? Once the flashing lights stopped, the images resumed to their normal appearance.
post #1282 of 4616 Old 02-12-2007, 04:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthMalek View Post

have a question which calble is better blue jeans cable or monoprice cable? as far as quality

As for cables, I don't put much weight on "high" quality cables. I compared these
http://www.mycablemart.com/

with some $100+ monsters and saw no difference. Expensive cables are just not worth the gain, if any, they provide. Save your money.

Good luck!
post #1283 of 4616 Old 02-12-2007, 04:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cocteau View Post

Hi Gang,

I have a PS3 related question.

I'm running PS3 via HDMI to the 4095D.

I'm capable of setting the PS3 in Display to run at 480P, 720P and 1080i. However, when I check the 1080P box, the TV goes haywire and flashes with white snow. Not good.

I can see through the snow just well enough to remove 1080P, and it stops flashing.

Any advice?

Is the PS3 sending out 1080i and the TV plays at 1080P?

Thanks.

\\

I've never had this problem with my PS3 - it's perfect outputting at 1080p (I don't even have to set the boxes, if you do autodetect it will set the 4095D at 1080p). Sounds like an issue with your TV, but take your PS3 to a friend's 1080p panel (if you know someone with one) to verify it's the TV. You gotta either check your PS3 outputting 1080p on another panel, or get another 1080p source and hook it into your 4095D to see which one is causing the problem. Best of luck mate.

Bear Down!
See how your Blu-Ray movies stack up. Visit the Blu Ray Tier thread today.
Blu Ray Titles: 17
PSN=Neko150
post #1284 of 4616 Old 02-12-2007, 05:03 PM
AVS Special Member

General Question - do you need the original box/packaging to do an in store exchange/whatever with BB? I threw away my box/packaging because it was so huge (I of course have the recipts).

Bear Down!
See how your Blu-Ray movies stack up. Visit the Blu Ray Tier thread today.
Blu Ray Titles: 17
PSN=Neko150
post #1285 of 4616 Old 02-12-2007, 08:00 PM

Anyone have their 4695 connected to a Sony DVP-NS75H via HDMI? How does it look?
post #1286 of 4616 Old 02-12-2007, 08:39 PM

Quote:

Monoprice cables will work fine. The snake oil added to the monstrously priced cables does not add much.
post #1287 of 4616 Old 02-12-2007, 09:25 PM

i have the 4096d but i like to know at first i put the energy saver at medium but i notice its a little to dark so now i have it on low but i need to have the deep blacks with the DNle on i like it on if anyone have any suggestions on what i should put the contrast and brightness at please notify me thank you.
post #1288 of 4616 Old 02-12-2007, 10:50 PM

Quote:

i have the 4096d but i like to know at first i put the energy saver at medium but i notice its a little to dark so now i have it on low but i need to have the deep blacks with the DNle on i like it on if anyone have any suggestions on what i should put the contrast and brightness at please notify me thank you.

Try leaving the Energy Saving at Medium, but bring up the Brightness and Contrast to about 70 - 80 each and see what you think.
post #1289 of 4616 Old 02-13-2007, 02:43 AM

ok i like to know your opinion is it better to put the Energy Saver low and put the contrast 95 and brightness 40 or the Energy Saver Medium and put the contrast 100 and brightness 40 or can anyone give me another idea on a good calibration please ??
post #1290 of 4616 Old 02-13-2007, 07:44 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by mfogarty5 View Post

All,

I am posting this on both the 4096/4696 and the 4095/4096/4695/4696 threads.

As I alluded to in an earlier post, I contacted Samsung earlier in the week and spoke to a level II technician about the justscan firmware update that allows 1:1 pixel mapping over the HDMI input. I told him that it had been released in the UK and in Korea and that all he had to do was contact headquarters in Korea. He said that he would contact the product support group and get back to me.

I decided to call back today and actually spoke to the same person I spoke to on Tuesday.

He looked through his email and sure enough the justscan firmware is coming to the US!!

He told me that it would be a few more weeks and that they were still deciding on whether they would send out USB drives or whether a technician would have to come out and do it.

This is great news!

any updates on this?
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Samsung Ln S4095d 40 Inch 1080p Lcd Hdtv , Samsung Ln S4695d 46 Inch Lcd Hdtv
Gear in this thread - S4095d by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page