why no picture - vid card dvi to lcd vga? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 15 Old 09-25-2006, 05:48 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
hi,

ok, i have a bfg geforce with the dvi out. i've run a dvi-i cable out to a dvi female - vga male adapter and pluged it into the vga pc input on my samsung lns4092d tv.

my nvidia control panel show the second monitor as an analog tv and i can change the resolutions etc, but i get no picture on the tv, it says its undetected.

anybody know what i'm doing wrong here?

thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 09-25-2006, 06:25 PM

Location: I come from a distant space where no one has gone before. The temperature is aight. The planet has a purple sky tho and the gravity is slightly less than that of earth. Oh yeah I got plenty of gas.....
what kind of picture are you not seeing? Still picture or motion video?

Where are you seeing that it says it's undected?

Are you doing dual monitor setup?

If so, you need to go to dual display mode. You can set each monitor configured independently from each other.

Then go back to the display property and go to Settings. Select the second monitor(your Sammy TV) and place a check in both "Use this device as the primary monitor" and "Extend my Windows desktop onto this monitor".

I still don't get the part you said "It says undtected"... that's the most critical question.
post #3 of 15 Old 09-25-2006, 06:38 PM - Thread Starter

thanks for the response IamAnoobieCheez.

sorry i get "no signal" message on the tv, not "not detected".

yes i have it all set up in my control panel with "dualview" and extended onto the sammy. the pc seems to be recongizing the tv ok, i can change resolutions etc.

i had it set up like this with the westinghouse i just returned. the difference being i had a dvi input on the westy.

i just get a black screen on the tv.
post #4 of 15 Old 09-25-2006, 06:49 PM

Location: I come from a distant space where no one has gone before. The temperature is aight. The planet has a purple sky tho and the gravity is slightly less than that of earth. Oh yeah I got plenty of gas.....
Ok, I'm assuming you have also set the refresh rate to 60Hz.... and what resolution are you running on the Sammy TV btw?

Have you also tried using just a SVGA cable from your geforce card to the VGA input on your Sammy? I'm assuming you have the DVI-to-VGA adapter on the video card.
post #5 of 15 Old 09-25-2006, 06:59 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by IamAnoobieCheez View Post

Ok, I'm assuming you have also set the refresh rate to 60Hz.... and what resolution are you running on the Sammy TV btw?

Have you also tried using just a SVGA cable from your geforce card to the VGA input on your Sammy? I'm assuming you have the DVI-to-VGA adapter on the video card.

yup refresh is at 60hz and resolution is 1360x768

my vid card has two outputs, vga and dvi, the vga is hooked up to my crt monitor, the dvi is connected to a dvi-i m/m cable, which is connected to a dvi-f to vga-m adapter, that connects to the vga input on my samsung.
post #6 of 15 Old 09-25-2006, 07:07 PM

So you are saying you can certainly set the resolution settings on the Sammy but you cannot view photos and videos? It doesn't make any sense.

Do you or do not have SVGA cable laying around. Use that and not the DVI cable. One of the ways to narrow down the problems. I rarely heard people use DVI cable to hook up to a VGA input on the TV even though you're using the adapter. If I were you I would use SVGA cable from your TV to the video card w/ adapter.
post #7 of 15 Old 09-25-2006, 07:16 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

So you are saying you can certainly set the resolution settings on the Sammy but you cannot view photos and videos? It doesn't make any sense.

Do you or do not have SVGA cable laying around. Use that and not the DVI cable. One of the ways to narrow down the problems. I rarely heard people use DVI cable to hook up to a VGA input on the TV even though you're using the adapter. If I were you I would use SVGA cable from your TV to the video card w/ adapter.

it makes no sense to me either.

i don't have a spare vga cable and if i did, i still only have one vga output on the vid card which i'm using for my primary crt display.

post #8 of 15 Old 09-25-2006, 07:24 PM - Thread Starter

ok, i just realized the problem. the cable is actually dvi-d cable, not dvi-i. that must be it right?
post #9 of 15 Old 09-25-2006, 07:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imho4ep View Post

i don't have a spare vga cable and if i did, i still only have one vga output on the vid card which i'm using for my primary crt display.

You can use your DVI port on the back of your video card to hook up with the DVI-to-VGA adapter and use the VGA cable to your Sammy TV's VGA Input. This method is very common and many have found no problems.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imho4ep View Post

ok, i just realized the problem. the cable is actually dvi-d cable, not dvi-i. that must be it right?

DVI-D is often used on PC connections to the TV for digital interface. That shouldn't be a problem, but the problem is I don't know how well it's going to work using DVI cable to the VGA input on your TV. That is very unusual way of connecting cables. Get a cheap set of VGA cable to test it. $12 won't hurt that bad would it
post #10 of 15 Old 09-25-2006, 10:58 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

You can use your DVI port on the back of your video card to hook up with the DVI-to-VGA adapter and use the VGA cable to your Sammy TV's VGA Input. This method is very common and many have found no problems.

DVI-D is often used on PC connections to the TV for digital interface. That shouldn't be a problem, but the problem is I don't know how well it's going to work using DVI cable to the VGA input on your TV. That is very unusual way of connecting cables. Get a cheap set of VGA cable to test it. $12 won't hurt that bad would it

yeah but my adapter is dvi female and vga male, so i can't plug it into the vid card. i could always go and get one, and another vga cable for the tv. ..

thanks a bunch for your help IamAnoobieCheez.
post #11 of 15 Old 09-26-2006, 02:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
You're fine the way you have it, but you do need a DVI-I cable. A DVI-D cable will not do.

It's safe to ignore the Cheez in this case.
post #12 of 15 Old 09-26-2006, 07:11 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Have you tried resetting the display ? Meaning closing it with the power button on the TV, unpluging it ? Is your input for the signal switched to VGA on your TV ? On my Pany 7UY i had to reset (power/unplug) and reselect the input for it to find the signal. Maybe it's the same with Sammys??? Most displays are not plug and play, you have to select the input for it to work correctly.

Have tried VGA to VGA ? From your card's vga to the tv vga? Does it work ? Have you tried the cards DVI to vga on your CRT ? Does it work ? You may have a faulty output ? Try trouble shoothing them.
post #13 of 15 Old 09-26-2006, 08:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by martyj19 View Post

You're fine the way you have it, but you do need a DVI-I cable. A DVI-D cable will not do.

It's safe to ignore the Cheez in this case.

no, it's highly unsafe to ignore me in this case, too.

Just use the VGA cable since your Sammy TV has VGA input and not the DVI input. I know the difference between DVI-I and DVI-D. the DVI-I supports both Digital and Analog. The DVI-D is digital only. I said if your TV has DVI input then you would want to use DVI-D cable. If you have VGA input, it is wise to use VGA cable and not the DVI-I since there is no guarantee that will work. VGA cables are more compatibility proof. You can't beat VGA when it comes to compatibility and user-friendly in altering resolutions in the desktop. Most freaking powerful tool found.
post #14 of 15 Old 09-26-2006, 08:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cholerabob View Post

Have tried VGA to VGA ? From your card's vga to the tv vga? Does it work ? Have you tried the cards DVI to vga on your CRT ? Does it work ? You may have a faulty output ? Try trouble shoothing them.

Yep, that's what I have been asking him to try.

Ya know(not directing at you, Cholerabob)... DVI-I cable to VGA input will not make any better picture quality than using SVGA cable to VGA input since both are analog. I can get some dead serious PQ using my high quality SVGA cable.
post #15 of 15 Old 01-10-2007, 10:22 AM

I've had a similar problem with my Digimate 3203H LCD HDTV; it has a VGA input and my gfx card has dual DVI. I have a DVI to VGA adapter and used a VGA cable to connect to the HDTV however, while the second display is detected by the PC the TV displays the message 'no sync', as if there were no signal reaching it at all (the same message is displayed when selecting the VGA channel while there is no cable attached to the TV. I have tried both of the DVI slots and even tried a brand new VGA cable to no avail. I was able to use one of the VGA cables to connect successfully to the HDTV from my friends PC, so the problem in my case seems to either be the adapter being faulty (I should have another... might be able to check this) or that the signal from the DVI cannot be displayed on the TV.

Could it be that the frequency of the TV (50-85 Hz) is incompatible with the DVI signal (fixed 60 Hz I believe?). I tried changing the frequency to the other two settings available to me on the PC (75 and 85 Hz) but no change. Also tried all the resolutions listed - still nothing.

Imho4ep - did you ever find a solution to this problem? My options at the moment seem to be buying a different graphics card with a VGA out or a DVI to HDMI cable.
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page