Official Sharp Aquos 42D62U/46D62U/52D62U Owner's Thread (NO PRICE TALK!) - Page 190 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

Old 12-29-2006, 10:14 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Bleed...I don't think you're supposed to post prices/specific locations.

Anyway, today I have decided to cancel next week's delivery of the Sharp 46" 62 that was going to replace my Samsung that has a little cloudy backlight issue. Too many bad reports on here have me scared that the Sharp would be an even worse panel than my Samsung. I am still considering getting the 92 series in the 46"...as I would hope it would be better. But I am not counting on it.

Sadly, when it comes to LCD technology, it seems to come down to which flaws you can accept and live with...and which you can't. I only see the cloudiness on my Samsung when playing very dark levels on XBOX 360 games, for some reason. I suppose I will have to live with that.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-29-2006, 10:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DVD Freaky View Post

Bleed...I don't think you're supposed to post prices/specific locations.

Anyway, today I have decided to cancel next week's delivery of the Sharp 46" 62 that was going to replace my Samsung that has a little cloudy backlight issue.

I'm very tempted to do the same with the 52. I can't get over just how breathtaking it looked at the store, but man, these reports are just scaring the daylights out of me.

I'm leaning towards cancelling (my CC hasn't been charged yet), but I'm also trying to be as reasonable as possible. On one hand I'm aware that no one product is perfect. At some point compromises will have to be made. Every manufacturer has it's quirks, and in all honesty, had I not read some of the stories I've seen here I may not have even noticed the banding since I wouldn't have looked for it to begin with (unless is was prevalent and easily seen). If I choose to keep the order you better believe that once I have the TV all setup the very first thing I'm going to look for is banding; which IMO shouldn't be the case.

On the other hand, if I'm paying thousands of dollars for a product, I expect a reasonable amount of quality.

I think I'm going to sleep on it and see how I feel about it tomorrow.
Old 12-29-2006, 11:25 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by DVD Freaky View Post

Anyway, today I have decided to cancel next week's delivery of the Sharp 46" 62 ... I am still considering getting the 92 series in the 46"... I only see the cloudiness on my Samsung when playing very dark levels on XBOX 360 games, for some reason. I suppose I will have to live with that.

I would say keep the door open for the 92 series, I cannot believe that Sharp spent 2 billion dollars on a plant to end up getting no respect in the stores and a bad reputation for putting out flawed panels. My bet is that this problem will be fixed. Their ASV panels supposedly will push 3000:1. That is an amazing leap in technical performance from LCD. And its only a matter of weeks to find out if they have pulled it off.

Westa's experience with the 57d90u shows that they can make a great large panel. I see no reason why they cannot do the same and better in 46-52 inch sizes.

Old 12-29-2006, 11:37 PM

Has anybody any experience hooking up the Sharp to either the DirecTV HR20-700 or the DishNetwork ViP622? I will get the 52" next week and am thinking of changing over to DishNetwork for all the extra HD content they offer. I could also stay with DirecTV and get the HR20-700. Has anybody experienced any compatibility issues with either of the receivers? Especially over HDMI? Is DirecTV's 1080i signal better with a 1080p TV than the 720p from DishNetwork? Thanx for any help.
Old 12-30-2006, 12:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElvinPena View Post

On the other hand, if I'm paying thousands of dollars for a product, I expect a reasonable amount of quality.

I dont mean to be insulting but this is the only statement you made that IMHO makes rational sense. Most of the rest of the things you said seem to be driven by the fact that you fell in love with the TV. It also seems to me that you are confusing flaws created by limits in the technology and manufacturing flaws. The first is something we must accept until technology advances but the second is totaly preventable and should never be acceptable.

I have a 42" Aquos and understand why you love the TV. If you chose to go through with the purchase I hope you get a good one.
Old 12-30-2006, 02:22 AM

I just got the 42" and I'm having some issues with it. At this point, I don't know if it's my set or my signal. The first thing I did was connect it to my MOXI HD PVR via component. My box unfortunately does not have HDMI, but it does have an active DVI port. I guess I'll need to get a DVI to HDMI converter of some sort. Anyway, as soon as I connected the cable to the set, I noticed that there was heavy artifacting going on all over the screen. It was nuts, I immediately figured my set must be a lemon. But then I calmed down a bit and connected my Xbox 360 via component, changed my console settings to 1080p, threw in Fight Night 3 and it looked fantastic. I then connected my HD-DVD add-on to the X360 and again, King Kong and V for Vendetta looked fantastic.

So two different HD sources and one looks like **** and the other looks great. The one thing that worries me is that while I was in the store (Best Buy), I saw the same artifacting (exactly what I see at home) on the display model and on most sets out there looked fine off the same feed. Does anyone have any idea on what the problem is? I have 30 days to return it, so any advice would be appreciated. It just kills me that it can look so good when I'm using my Xbox 360, but so lousy when I'm watching cable HD.

Thanks in advance,

mm04

edit: I have no banding btw. My last set was an RPLCD and it was riddled with banding, so I know it when I see it.

edit2: Okay, after looking at different channels on my Time Warner HD (yuck!), it seems it's the signal. Fox and ABC look pretty good. ESPN and HBO look like trash. I'll have to record some shows in primetime to see how they look. Also, does anyone know if there is a display in the service menu which states how many hours the set has been on? I know with RPLCD and DLP sets you can usually find the bulb/lamp hours in it. Thanks again.
Old 12-30-2006, 02:45 AM

A new poll should be set up to show how many people have gotten replacements without banding. agree?
Old 12-30-2006, 05:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleedn Green View Post

Just bought the Sharp 46D62U from Visions in Regina Sask for a great deal of 2907.99 and I am very impressed with this set. No banding what so ever. First three #s of the serial are 611.

I think the mods frown upon price talk but I'll just say you should check out the CompUSA weekly ad and look at the price of the 46D62U versus what you paid for it, maybe you can get a price match.
Old 12-30-2006, 06:23 AM

Thinking about getting a Wireless Sound System for my 46" Sharp. Anyone have one of these, how do you like it and any recommendations? I have a very open concept room and running wires won't work for me. Thinking wireless may be the way to go.

As I've posted before my volume level is way too low on the Digital / HD stations with the SA8300 DVR hooked up to the TV speakers. Hoping a Surround Sound System will be better. Want to hear the full effect of the Dolby Digital 5.1 also. Don't want to spend a ton of money either.
Old 12-30-2006, 07:27 AM

I have a 42 on standby , due to pick it up in 3 hrs
after reading some posts re: banding and not being produced by sharp im rethinking..
any users have an opinion? primary use would be for Cable but i want to be prepared for blu ray ( some day )
plz help..
Old 12-30-2006, 07:52 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 139 Post(s)
Liked: 103
Quote:
Originally Posted by map1 View Post

after reading some posts re: banding and not being produced by sharp im rethinking..
any users have an opinion? primary use would be for Cable but i want to be prepared for blu ray ( some day )
plz help..

I don't think the banding is very common on the 42". It is made in a different factory. I have a 42" with no banding (but a damn pixel popped up last night out of the blue!) but have had two 52" sets with banding. ...one significantly worse than the other.

Samsung 55" JS8500, 48" JS9000, 65" HU8550, 46" ES7100, 55" D8000 (RIP)

I Like Digital!
Old 12-30-2006, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by map1 View Post

plz help..

Buy it!

The 42 is an awesome set for the price. No banding on mine or any other abnormalities.
Old 12-30-2006, 10:16 AM

I just received my 52" and it is band free. The serial starts 611.

Should my optical connection go from my DTV box to the A/V receiver or from my TV to the A/V receiver?
Old 12-30-2006, 10:18 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark_1080p View Post

I would say keep the door open for the 92 series, I cannot believe that Sharp spent 2 billion dollars on a plant to end up getting no respect in the stores and a bad reputation for putting out flawed panels. My bet is that this problem will be fixed. Their ASV panels supposedly will push 3000:1. That is an amazing leap in technical performance from LCD. And its only a matter of weeks to find out if they have pulled it off.

Westa's experience with the 57d90u shows that they can make a great large panel. I see no reason why they cannot do the same and better in 46-52 inch sizes.

Mark, I am definitely going to keep my options open for the 92 series...the sooner it gets here, the better. I'd hate to get rid of my tv completely and be waiting around with no tv...for the 92. I think I have just a couple of weeks left till my 30 days runs out on the Samsung!
Old 12-30-2006, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by billlee View Post

A new poll should be set up to show how many people have gotten replacements without banding. agree?

Here you go, I've created the poll. To be fair, it includes both good and bad replacements.

Submit your vote here: http://snappoll.com/poll/157357.php

The results can be seen here: http://www.snappoll.com/view_results.php?poll_id=157357

~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Does your Sharp Aquos 42D62U/46D62U/52D62U have unacceptable banding?
Please take the POLL:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=744267
Old 12-30-2006, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmorey View Post

Should my optical connection go from my DTV box to the A/V receiver or from my TV to the A/V receiver?

Congratulations, that's fantastic news. Well, I slept on it and I decided I'm going to proceed with the order. And Barry, no worries, man, I definitely see where you're coming from.
Old 12-30-2006, 12:01 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
once again, does anyone have any good pics of this TV in action? I would love to see some pics of some HD shows.... thanks!
Old 12-30-2006, 12:08 PM

Sharp is running an online ad pushing their D62u series at "moretosee,com". The comma should be a dot, however I'm a new user and it won't allow me to post the proper url.

What I found interesting is that if you check under the Media--->Reviews menu at the bottom right of the page, there are no reviews for the D62U model. The reviews are for other older models. This struck me as odd since the ad/website was created to push the D62U model. Safe to say they were hard pressed to find any good reviews for this series and are keeping hush about it.
Old 12-30-2006, 12:17 PM

My father just purchased a Sharp Aquos LC-46D62U. I set up the video with an HDMI to DVI plug, the HDMI in the TV with the DVI end in the Comcast Cable HD box. I hooked separate component cables for the Audio and everything looks great on the HD channels. When viewing the regular SD channels is really skewed to the right like it ends in the middle of the TV. I tried to manually adjust but it only moves it about two inches. I also the different view modes, Zoom, Stretch etc. but that doesn't fix it either. Does anyone know how to fix this? Thanks.
Old 12-30-2006, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell1 View Post

once again, does anyone have any good pics of this TV in action? I would love to see some pics of some HD shows.... thanks!

By the time you process the image through a camera and get it into a format that is small enough to post it would lose alot of resolution.
Old 12-30-2006, 12:43 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Can anyone post a picture of this horizontal banding?

I've never really seen it on a TV so i don't know what it looks like....
Old 12-30-2006, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoostGeek View Post

My father just purchased a Sharp Aquos LC-46D62U. I set up the video with an HDMI to DVI plug, the HDMI in the TV with the DVI end in the Comcast Cable HD box. I hooked separate component cables for the Audio and everything looks great on the HD channels. When viewing the regular SD channels is really skewed to the right like it ends in the middle of the TV. I tried to manually adjust but it only moves it about two inches. I also the different view modes, Zoom, Stretch etc. but that doesn't fix it either. Does anyone know how to fix this? Thanks.

Your cable box should have a setup for TV type 4x3 or 16x9 and what resolutions to pass to the TV 480i to 1080i. Im not familiar with the ComCast box but my SA8300 HD-DVR has these settings, not in the general settings normally available but in a setup menu that is invoked thru a specific procedure.
Old 12-30-2006, 12:56 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ANHEDONIC View Post

Can anyone post a picture of this horizontal banding?

I've never really seen it on a TV so i don't know what it looks like....

Look back in this thread. There are many pictures of banding.
Old 12-30-2006, 12:56 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Saw something interesting in the Sony Cloudy thread. Eric posted a pic of his Sony set illuminated by window glare while turned off. He sees vertical banding in the reflection. He also posts a pic of banding while turned on.

This would be simple to test for the Sharps, if you see banding in the glare or shine a very bright flashlight on it and see banding, then we know it is not the backlight but rather the coating. If you do not see it, I guess the cause is indeterminate.

Old 12-30-2006, 01:00 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by raylock View Post

Look back in this thread. There are many pictures of banding.

Raylock... There are 190+ pages of this thread...

Any idea where I should start?
Old 12-30-2006, 01:15 PM

Try starting at post 186.
Old 12-30-2006, 04:16 PM

Purchased my new 46D62U yesterday. No problems whatsoever in the last 24 hours. After reading about the banding issues, I fired it up at the dealer (after paying for it) and noticed faint horiz & vertical banding on a uniform grey screen. However, the bands are not visible during any programs at any resolution. My serial number is 6108..., so maybe the later 610's are better.
Old 12-30-2006, 04:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark_1080p View Post

Saw something interesting in the Sony Cloudy thread. Eric posted a pic of his Sony set illuminated by window glare while turned off. He sees vertical banding in the reflection. He also posts a pic of banding while turned on.

This would be simple to test for the Sharps, if you see banding in the glare or shine a very bright flashlight on it and see banding, then we know it is not the backlight but rather the coating. If you do not see it, I guess the cause is indeterminate.

I can confirm seeing this on my 46 inch Sharp. I only see the effect when the kitchen light, behind the viewing position and 15 feet over, is turned on. It is as though the light is reflecting in different directions off something behind the lcd glass. I have only seen these three bands, on the right half of the screen, show up a few times when the tv is actually on, the problem is most noticeable when the tv is off. Fortunately the kitchen light that illuminates the bands is not often used.

PS I have moderate horizontal banding on my Sharp (serial # A609), and no vertical banding except for that described above.
Old 12-30-2006, 04:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mflemi View Post

Purchased my new 46D62U yesterday. No problems whatsoever in the last 24 hours. After reading about the banding issues, I fired it up at the dealer (after paying for it) and noticed faint horiz & vertical banding on a uniform grey screen.

I'm surprised that you went through with the purchase after seeing the banding in the store. When I decide to plunk down $2500, there better not be any banding or any other imperfections.
Old 12-30-2006, 05:58 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmorey View Post

Nobody in this forum will believe you that you have a band free set unless you post pics of the gray screen.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
Sharp Aquos Lc42d62u 42 Inch 1080p Lcd Hdtv