Official Sharp Aquos 42D62U/46D62U/52D62U Owner's Thread (NO PRICE TALK!) - Page 23 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

Old 10-14-2006, 06:39 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by snaithg
Yep! Unfortunately I see it too.

I would like to think that the UK models won't have this problem when they finally start shipping, but realistically I cannot be too optimistic about this. It's highly likely that the problem is the LCD panel itself and they're all made in the same Sharp K2 factory.

With the risk of banding and the "red push" (more about this later), I think I will be cancelling my 52" pre-order. Not to say I won't still purchase the 52", I now consider it more prudent to wait until the UK "early experience" information becomes available and I can see/play with the set myself.

Graham.

Quote:
Originally Posted by westa6969 View Post

I beg to differ with you as the European model is different - on the one hand and if it were an issue with the sheet of glass the event would replicate 100% not randomly - all cuts would replicate the event and it's presentation on the panel if in the glass could not present anything less than 100% banding. Now when one takes away the glass as the cause you are left with the components and source and the European model is assembled in Poland I believe not Mexico like the North American models are.

The Euro model is not a twin internally - it's uses a different and more advanced tuner that is supposed to be on the next gen D92 series for North America in the months ahead but you folks have it already on the Euro Model. Please don't rush to judge on a panel that is produced elsewhere and with different components or assume you will have banding. Please tell me technically how the glass could react randomly? The source can but the glass cannot and those are about the only things they share in common from that Japanese plant.

I suggest you wait for the Euro model before applying what a few members have posted here as problematic.

I thought that was what I said I was doing.

Graham.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-14-2006, 09:58 AM

Has anyone contacted Sharp regarding the banding issue? What did they have to say about it?
Old 10-14-2006, 10:12 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

"_ I cant stand dynamic levels changing on the fly. off !!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

Shinraven, what are you referring to? The reason I am asking is I was demoing the v2500 and the 46" Aquos and I noticed their was some sort of automatic contrast ratio on the Aquos. Or that is what it seemed like... Now I turned off all the settings including the black expansion but I couldn't get it where this adjustment would stop.

Old 10-14-2006, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by purell View Post

Has anyone contacted Sharp regarding the banding issue? What did they have to say about it?

From past experience they will say nothing. They won't reply your email.

Graham.
Old 10-14-2006, 10:16 AM

There is a feature that detects light levels or some such and adjusts the brightness accordingly.

I think that is right.

I want the 46, but I need it to go on sale, any one have strategies to get BBY to match J&R or other dealers?
Old 10-14-2006, 10:23 AM

Can someone who is using a computer with this TV contact me, please (Therese? Shinraven?)? I have a four year old Mac Powerbook G4. I have tried a DVI-HDMI cable and a DVI-HDMI adapter and both result in static and screen flickering. I can see my desktop, but it's like watching a TV show using an antenna. The odd thing is that when I first make the connection, it looks perfect, but upon opening iTunes to watch a movie trailer, the screen goes blank and then comes back on with the static and flickering.

I don't think it's the cord. Could it be the TV? I'd appreciate any help people can offer.

On an unrelated note, has anyone experienced problems with whites? I've only seen it once, but there was a commercial that showed a white purse on a completely white background - admittedly, a pretty extreme and unique circumstance. But the outline of the purse was barely noticeable on the bottom and completely indistinguishable on the top (handle/strap). I paused the picture and tried changing various settings but had no luck. Any thoughts?

Finally, Shinraven, will you download the Final Fantasy XI trailer on your 360 and play it? It has a lot of panning which stutters on my screen. I assume it's the 360 causing it but would like to confirm. Thanks!
Old 10-14-2006, 10:33 AM
Advanced Member

Spent a few hours a with a fellow video enthusiast playing with my Sharp. We ran a few more tests and then started tweaking. I wanted to post what we cam up with and what we used as you can also repeat this in your own environment with the appropriate source and Avia disk. (For the tweaking we used both Avia/Dve and another set of test he had - will limit my post to that of the Avia as it is readily avilable.)

Source Hd-A1 FW 2.0 - All PQ enhancement type settings in the HD-A1 off

Hd DVD - Batman Returns/Serenity
Avia Disk
Filters Red/Blue/Green
HDMI connection

We first ran through the basic tests on the AVia disk - did a number of the addiitonal tests on the DVE sidesk and finally came back to the Avia disk to adjust color using color filters and the color decoder test patterns.

The following base modes were on(in the Sharp menu):
Black On
White High
NR off
Fine Motion Off
Using USER avmode

We used Batman Returns for two reason - very dark movie with extensive opportunity to check out shadow detail and the exagerated red push WITHIN the film during many scenes. (Check facial tones of early scenes of batmans butler)

Back to Avia - and of most interest RED. We played with the controls within the above settings for awhile. The red push as seen through AVia (and later verified) was about +5%. Interesting when we used the "calibrated" settings from out test with avia - red push as indictaed by facial tones - seemed greater than 5%. In flipping back and forth - we finally decided the most natural of facial tomes was using a setting on the Sharp several clicks below what we had calibrated with AVIA. AT a -5, -1 for color/hue respectively - we found the facial toes to be most natural. However, in viewing AVIA this registered at about -5% for the red saturation.

We left it at this setting. In viewing the scene where batman is fighting on the ice - you can see the flush induced by the activity and cold. It naturally hits the tips of his ears while leaving the remaining part of the face and neck in a paler state as one would expect with a flush to the cheeks. Same with the opponent. We then flipped back to the scene where the butler enters the the room with him staring out the window as a child. The face is very natural - with a hint of redness where he has been crying, freckles clearly showing and the tones of the face consistant with the climate and what you would expect.

We then moved on and continued testing during the various dark scenes, tunnels/caves you name it. We were able to get very good detail. I however, liked the backlight set a tad lower than where we finished with - however in doing so this caused some minor detal loss in the dark scenes.

We also viewed many scenes from Serenity - in particular using the tunnel scene highlighted by light to adjust both the contrast and backlight. We both felt for Serenity - the backlight needed to be adjusted further back than what we has set via AVIA. The BB settings were causing some flare and a soft hazey effect during the brightest of scenes in Serenity - think Serenity planet scenes.

OKay...our final settings for BAtman - which a minor adjustment for Serenity. We also used several other HD DVD's and thiese settings held up pretty good.

As usual a place for others to start YMMV

Backlight -2(For Serenity -5/-6)
COntrast +33
Brightness -1
Color -5
Hue -2
Sharpness +2

Black on
NR off
Fine Motion Off
White High

Using User AVmode and in dot by dot.

Good Luck with your tweakings! Hope this might assist in getting you started as we all continue to play

Therese
Old 10-14-2006, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrysDark View Post

I want the 46, but I need it to go on sale, any one have strategies to get BBY to match J&R or other dealers?

Print the price page, then take it too the store. I just did this with the 52" using pcmall, they didn't even blink when asked about price matching. In fact, I printed the page from one of the store's PCs!

Shame the Sharps on display had awful settings and feed. They had the worst looking picture of the units in the same area. And that red was truly awful.
Old 10-14-2006, 10:52 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:

Some called them and they suggested exchanging the unit to see if it fixes it.

Let's not forget that we are early adapters of a product that came out of a brand new factory. Most of us here either preordered the set or snapped one before the retailers even had a chance to put one on display. So I think we should all call Sharp and let them know that there are some issues (annoying or not) on most of the first crops. So that these issues can be fixed for future D62Us (and maybe we can exchange then if we want to). It would be also helpful to come up with a simple, possibly PC based example that shows the banding issue clearly.

And Sharp, we know you are listening (at least to protect your NDA . This is a very good time to chime in. You have a winner set that can easily compete with Sony. However, if you really want to regain the market share you lost to Sony last few years you cannot afford glitches like these (however minor). You really need to be perfect with the quality of all your displays whatever the their price point might be.
Old 10-14-2006, 10:52 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by snaithg View Post

Interesting that the Sony XBR2 "fails" all three test categories unless DRC is turned off.

Graham.

As it happens it seems these reports can't keep up with our latest and greatist love. I'd really want to know how the new Sony v2500 LCD as Costco does and the same for the new 46" Sharp. Is there any way to get this information on these units?
Old 10-14-2006, 10:57 AM

There is a feature that detects light levels or some such and adjusts the brightness accordingly.

I think that is right.

Old 10-14-2006, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snaithg View Post

From past experience they will say nothing. They won't reply your email.

Graham.

Havent even got a reply re their set-up for Novotel launch in 3 weeks......

If we know what the set-up is we can take the appropriate test material
Old 10-14-2006, 11:48 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sholmes View Post

Can someone who is using a computer with this TV contact me, please (Therese? Shinraven?)? I have a four year old Mac Powerbook G4. I have tried a DVI-HDMI cable and a DVI-HDMI adapter and both result in static and screen flickering. I can see my desktop, but it's like watching a TV show using an antenna. The odd thing is that when I first make the connection, it looks perfect, but upon opening iTunes to watch a movie trailer, the screen goes blank and then comes back on with the static and flickering.

I don't think it's the cord. Could it be the TV? I'd appreciate any help people can offer.

On an unrelated note, has anyone experienced problems with whites? I've only seen it once, but there was a commercial that showed a white purse on a completely white background - admittedly, a pretty extreme and unique circumstance. But the outline of the purse was barely noticeable on the bottom and completely indistinguishable on the top (handle/strap). I paused the picture and tried changing various settings but had no luck. Any thoughts?

Finally, Shinraven, will you download the Final Fantasy XI trailer on your 360 and play it? It has a lot of panning which stutters on my screen. I assume it's the 360 causing it but would like to confirm. Thanks!

I found when using pc, Its best to flip the panel on the remote, change the modes to pc ( which is REALLY blinding bright. I changed mine to standard and toned down the whites a bit. )

I am away from set now, will post setting later this evening.

I am going to an electronic expo at the javits in NYC. need new toy again lol!! * i better behave.

As for getting final fantasy on 360 thats a Horror!! yuk . looks like the japanese developers tossed a bone at us. more like a ps2 game. no thanks.

I was going to put off the ps3, however after I saw resistance and Riiiiiiiidgggee racer.... ( god i hate the way it controls...however the smooth 60fps sold me to get a ps3 ..not ridge racer. if only they would make a wipeOut ps3 game. I would sell my left.............* Beep !! for it. )

not to mention its a cheapy blueray. which I need more hi def sources. I am gonna have to fight a soccer mom this coming month at Toys r us to get a ps3.
Old 10-14-2006, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by listy View Post

Print the price page, then take it too the store. I just did this with the 52" using pcmall, they didn't even blink when asked about price matching. In fact, I printed the page from one of the store's PCs!

Shame the Sharps on display had awful settings and feed. They had the worst looking picture of the units in the same area. And that red was truly awful.

And that works?? wow I gotta try this! Thanks...
Old 10-14-2006, 12:08 PM

Cable box remote doesn't work with 46D62U.--- I recently bought the 46D62U. When I powered it on, I couldn't get my cable box remote to work. I tried other programmable remotes that were setup for the cable box and they didn't work either. When I powered off the TV, the remotes worked fine. I later discovered that after about 2 minutes the remote work sporadically, and after 5 minutes the remote would work fine. But, if I powered off the TV and powered it back on, I would have to wait another 5 minutes before the remote would work again. I live in Torrance, California. I subscribe to Time Warner Cable. The cable box is a Scientific Atlanta Explorer 8300HD.

Sharp tech support couldn't help me. They hadn't received the documentation on this set yet. They said to call back the next day and maybe they would have the documentation.

I am new to this thread. I don't know if this problem has been reported here before. I thought this information might be of use to someone. For this and other reasons, I have exchanged this TV for a Sony KDSR60XBR2($4100). I just couldn't resist the bigger screen for just a little more money.

Cheers,

John
Old 10-14-2006, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by timothias View Post

Well, after not being able to stand the "banding" issue (really it's just a bunch of 1" thick streaks going horizontally across), I returned the 46D62U.

It was an awesome TV. Truly amazing for its price. If there were no bands, I would have kept it for a long, long time.

Since there were, and it was apparent through several responses that this was a fairly common problem, I had to return it. No exchange. Just return. =(

I was going to get the 46XBR2, but I got such a stupidly ridiculous deal on the 46XBR3, that I just had to get it.

So far, I have to say that I miss a lot of things from the Sharp set:
- backlit remote
- an input button that allowed u to select inputs easily
- straight forward menu system
- outstanding, amazing, unbelievable SD performance!!!
- elegant design (not flash like the Sony's)

I'm sure there are a few more; just can't name them right now.

I just wanted to thank everyone for their help; can't mention all your names, but it's basically everyone. This is my first time being part of a forum, my first time posting, my first time asking questions, getting hyped for a release, waiting for reviews, drooling at pictures, getting heated over words on a computer screen (haha).

I don't wanna sound sentimental, cuz I'm really not. Maybe because it's 6:45 in the morning and I'm typing this... however, this was a great experience. I've learned so much from this forum. Don't flame me for typing all this, please.

I've come to a conclusion that's already been said many a time here on these forums:

No matter how hard you look, there is no such thing as a perfect television set.

Okay, thanks for all your help guys. I wanna post pics tomorrow from my D62u that I never got to post; just to show you guys what I was seeing.

"No matter how hard you look, there is no such thing as a perfect television set."

Something we've been saying here but a lot of people who complain simply miss this.

§kitch

~Have faith in God & never give up~
Old 10-14-2006, 12:14 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Got nixed today at CC trying to negotiate for the 46" for my Dad. First the salesperson wouldn't budge off the list price. Then when I told him the price someone here got it for at CC (several hundred lower than list), the salesperson left for about 15 minutes.

Then he came back and told me if I could give him the name of the person who bought it and where he bought it so they could verify the price, they'd give it to me at that price. I wouldn't ask anyone here for that type of detail. So they offered $100 off their list price, which was really generous of them considering you can get $180 off list price online right now at CC. So we walked out.

It seems these are just too new and too rare right now to negotiate hard. If a CC or BB store manager doesn't want to deal on these right now, he just doesn't have to.
Old 10-14-2006, 12:43 PM

Quote:

I sent them a message a few days back but haven't gotten a reply at all yet.
-Tom
Old 10-14-2006, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by suntzu7708 View Post

And that works?? wow I gotta try this! Thanks...

It went like this:

sales rep: Can I help you, Sir?
me: Yes, I'm interested in the new Sharps.

we walk to the units

me pointing to price tag: That's high, I can get it for a lot less online.
rep: We price match, just print the page and bring it in.
me: Got Internet access I can use?

we walk to a PC

me: Let's try pcmall, yup, there you go, far cheaper.
rep prints the page

That's it. She may have had a thing for English accents, but it really was zero effort to get a better price. I only tried it because a few people were posting they get better prices at BB, and I've never tried to haggle with a major outlet. Mine is on order with macmall (thanks Skitch!), so she didn't even get the sale.
Old 10-14-2006, 01:48 PM

Some of you may recall my earlier post where I described calling Sharp customer service about this horizontal band issue. They took my information, and the picture I had snapped, and said they'd keep it on file but recommended I exchange the TV at BB.

Well, they called back yesterday and said their techs had taken a closer look at the picture I took, and very politely asked if they could HAVE my TV for their lab so they can investigate the problem! They are arranging for a replacement to be brought to my house so they can take my original 46d62u and check it out!

I have to say that I've never had ANY company's customer service take such a proactive, aggressive approach like this, and I LOVE it. They have been nothing but friendly and understanding and as concerned as I am about this issue when I talk to them over the phone.

My advice would be that any owner who has noticable horizontal bands on their 46 or 52 should call Sharp USA (forget emailing...it took them 5 days to respond via email), be patient as you describe the problem, and be prepared to email them a photo which clearly depicts it.

Mine was the first case they'd heard of with this problem, so if more owners point this out we will increase the likelihood that a change will be effected in the (hopefully) near future!

I'll post another report when I receive the replacement (they are calling back to set an appointment) to see if it has identical problems, but here's hoping it will not!

Sharp USA Customer Service: 1-800-237-4277
(there will be a language menu, then in the next menu press '1' for customer relations)
Old 10-14-2006, 02:02 PM

Called the Magnolia Mgr. at BB in Cambridge, MA who had the 52. Mentioned the prices Shin and Therese got and he agreed to meet me in between those (i.e. more than ten Ben Franklins off list).

Walked in an hour later; spent 5 minutes on paperwork, free delivery, and I'm out the door.

It's being delivered Monday.

Exhale.
Old 10-14-2006, 02:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by akgrown View Post

Well, they called back yesterday and said their techs had taken a closer look at the picture I took, and very politely asked if they could HAVE my TV for their lab so they can investigate the problem! They are arranging for a replacement to be brought to my house so they can take my original 46d62u and check it out!

That is encouraging! Keep us posted.
-Tom
Old 10-14-2006, 02:23 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by akgrown View Post

Some of you may recall my earlier post where I described calling Sharp customer service about this horizontal band issue. They took my information, and the picture I had snapped, and said they'd keep it on file but recommended I exchange the TV at BB.

I have to say that I've never had ANY company's customer service take such a proactive, aggressive approach like this, and I LOVE it. They have been nothing but friendly and understanding and as concerned as I am about this issue when I talk to them over the phone.

My advice would be that any owner who has noticable horizontal bands on their 46 or 52 should call Sharp USA (forget emailing...it took them 5 days to respond via email), be patient as you describe the problem, and be prepared to email them a photo which clearly depicts it.

Mine was the first case they'd heard of with this problem, so if more owners point this out we will increase the likelihood that a change will be effected in the (hopefully) near future!

I'll post another report when I receive the replacement (they are calling back to set an appointment) to see if it has identical problems, but here's hoping it will not!

Sharp USA Customer Service: 1-800-237-4277
(there will be a language menu, then in the next menu press '1' for customer relations)

Good news. Keep us posted. I just called them as well and mentioned both banding and buzzing. Got my case number. They'll call me later (Aquos tech service was closed). They also gave a local Sharp tech service contact to expedite things if necessary.
Old 10-14-2006, 02:27 PM

OK

I got out to see the Sharp 42D62U / 46D62U / 52D62U today a CC on 14th in NYC .... The feed was 1080i there was a Sony 46XBR2 and the new Samsungs next to them. The main reason i went was to check for the banding or uneven back light strips that seem to show up. THERE WAS NONE on any of the screens SO it is either a screen to screen defect that has show up on some set of there may be other issues like dirty power, bad signal or some other component that is defective I really looked at a then for over an hour. Different type of scenes. light / dark and at different angles. Nada no bands.

as for comparison it was impossible as there was to much going on to really check the setting as they were the Samsung Color was a bit punchier. The Sony was a bit brighter but without comparing the setting this is close to useless information.
Old 10-14-2006, 02:43 PM

Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Ok, brought my 46" back. I've settled for the 4696D Samsung. To prove to them that my 46" had banding issues. I brought in my Avia disc and showed them the black and grey testing patterns. To my surprise, the 52" which was fed the avia disc as well had this big horizontal band. Luckily not many customers saw this since we were in the private room in the LIC BB. Here are the pics.

46"

52"

And to that poster about the cable box. He is telling the truth. I had tried it when he mentioned it. I have a Time Warner Pioneer HD cable box. I thought my batteries had died but it really doesn't work when the Sharp TV was on. Very interesting. Sharp had better get their act together.

PSN ID Cyber125
Old 10-14-2006, 03:46 PM

Anyone see this......................

Following the launch of six new 1080p Bravia LCD TVs from Sony in September, Sharp also said it will complete its full HD (high-definition) Aquos-branded LCD TV lineups in November

A few more goodies, DVI inputs speakers on side option

Sharp will ship the new LC-52GX1W, LC-46GX1W, LC-42GX1W, LC-52GX2W, LC-46GX2W and LC-42GX2W on October 1st. Only the 42 inch models will shop later on November 10th.

So I guess the paint isn't dry on the D62 series yet, and these 6 new models already in Japan
They look a bit Sonyish, with the titanium colours added

Now I gotta wait for Therese to test these, ha ha

Nice to see progress tho
Old 10-14-2006, 03:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by listy View Post

She may have had a thing for English accents

lol.. that's hilarious. thanks for the info though! i'll give it a shot!!!

My BB and CC won't match online price, also we need to be carefull or the mods will come down on us, I don't know if we have stepped out of bounds yet.

Damn just 400 off list and I am there.

Sharp to Introduce Six New Full-Spec HDTV AQUOS Models Made at Kameyama Plant No. 2 That Deliver the Ultimate in Image Quality, Audio Quality and Environmental Performance
Features Full-Spec HD LCD Panel Manufactured at Kameyama Plant No. 2 with the World's Highest*1 Contrast Ratio of 2000:1 and the World's Fastest*1 Full-Motion Video Response Rate of 4 msec*2

Sharp Corporation will introduce into the Japanese market six new AQUOS models in 52V-, 46V- and 42V-inch*3 screen sizes featuring LCD panels manufactured at Sharp's state-of-the-art Kameyama Plant No. 2 which became operational in August of this year. Model introduction will begin on October 1, 2006.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimsy View Post

ASharp will ship the new LC-52GX1W, LC-46GX1W, LC-42GX1W, LC-52GX2W, LC-46GX2W and LC-42GX2W on October 1st. Only the 42 inch models will shop later on November 10th.

I assumed these were the Japan market equivalents of the D62U series. Is that not so?
-Tom
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
Sharp Aquos Lc42d62u 42 Inch 1080p Lcd Hdtv