Official Sharp Aquos 42D62U/46D62U/52D62U Owner's Thread (NO PRICE TALK!) - Page 4 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #91 of 12250 Old 10-09-2006, 04:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by wpwj40e View Post

Yoda1,
It really is a shame after viewing this set twice that you decided you did not like it. That is indeed your opinion. You posted in the Fall Sharp D62 thread, have repeatedly asked me questions and you know and have known that I was trying to get pics cause folks asked for them.

You also have read and responded to my posts where I clearly said I was having issues with the pics and they were not reflective - just to give a general gyst of what the the set could do for this or that.

Why did you feel it necesary to come to this thread - when you clearly dislike this set and have no intention of purchasing. To further take one of my "horrible" pics and use it to highlight the set - when I have said it DOES NOT reflect real life and then you repeated it to show off your angst against this set. Why is beyond me.

Since you copied the pic - and chose not to identify any of my disclaimors with it - you have been able to perpetrate your viewpoint of a so called "bad color decoder in the sharp" or one that is not as good as your set of choice and the infamous "red push". WHile I respect your right to your opinion - and doing so in the non owners thread. I really am quite irritated that you went to this extreme here.

I went out of my way to help other folks that have asked over and over gain for pics - even though I stated I could not get them right - and you took this and ran with it.

Using this to slant folks to your opinions - and doing so knowingly is just wrong. Hopefully others will skip the whole picture thing and go and view these sets for themselves - using multiple sources and trying different settings and arrive at their own opinion and one that is not biased by my inability to take pics or have it calibrated correctly at the time I was taking them in the few hours I have owned the set.

Therese

Like Mark Rubin says "Take the high road on every post". When members come into a thread and you know exactly where there coming from and you know what they say is going to irritate you. I get upset just like you, and this is where I have to let it slide.
What you've done is appreciated and you've done a great job of expressing your impressions. Keep up the good work.

These are just my opinions.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 12250 Old 10-09-2006, 05:16 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Dont sweat it Therese. Ive seen those westy pics--I believe they arre Bossng's pix and they are great. However I have never seen a westy look close to that in person. Ive seen sharps look much better in person than the pics you took. Great pix != great lcd !
Unfortunately the only way to truly evaluate these sets is to take them home. Which does suck....but its the truth.
post #93 of 12250 Old 10-09-2006, 05:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Therese: All these top sets are now very close in overall quality of image on the screen. That goes for plasmas and lcds. No manufacturer is going to market a tv set that is not up to that of his competition. We do appreciate reading your words about your experiences with your new display. It is good to have comments and opinions from a person who definitely knows tvs! Please keep up the fine work and care not what others think or say.
post #94 of 12250 Old 10-09-2006, 05:34 AM
AVS Special Member

By the way, pictures posted here of shots of tv screens should never be taken for more than they are..just pics of tvs. In several years on this forum the only excellent pics I have ever seen is by R. Harkness and pics of images on his Panny EDTV of several years ago. No other pics have ever been sharp or presented true and actual colors! Look at any pics; then forget them! NEVER let them affect your buying decisions. Many people take this forum much to serious. Afterall, we are only discussing tvs. And, to me and my family, tvs are not a top priority. Relax and have fun here and never get that serious. All the top tvs are close in overall quality. Differences are slight and balance out in the end. Be thankful you have the money to buy a top display. Enjoy!
post #95 of 12250 Old 10-09-2006, 05:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by neotide View Post

Long time lurker on both threads for the D62's.

I was planning on buying the 42 until I saw the reviews about viewing angle and banding. I currently have a Westy that is going back for the same banding reason as it's doing my head in. The only problem is the price difference on the 46. My wife and I are trying to justify it currently which brings me to my question.

Does anybody buy the extended warranty on these or is that a waste of time and money?

Thanks for any response and thanks to everyone doing all this legwork for the rest of us who cannot yet go out and see one of these. Nobody in the Austin area seems to have them in just yet.

These are all opinions and observations on this forum. They should never be taken as buying decisions on the part of anyone!
post #96 of 12250 Old 10-09-2006, 05:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by richard korsgren View Post

These are all opinions and observations on this forum. They should never be taken as buying decisions on the part of anyone!

Agreed, although I've heard what I wanted to hear and now I'm going to evaluate it in my home.

What I'm really wanting to know though is what people are doing about the extended warranty and such. Thanks!
post #97 of 12250 Old 10-09-2006, 06:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by neotide View Post

Agreed, although I've heard what I wanted to hear and now I'm going to evaluate it in my home.

What I'm really wanting to know though is what people are doing about the extended warranty and such. Thanks!

It is good you are making final decision in your own home. Whenever I am able. I buy a product from Costco because the no time limit warranty is the BEST! Other than that, usually there is a 1 year warranty on the product and that can be extented for one more year with a Visa card. That gives a person 2 years. Just be sure, if you buy an extented warranty, it does not overlap these 2 years. You will comments on both sides of the warranty fence. You will have to decide for yourself. Important to get ..in home..service.
post #98 of 12250 Old 10-09-2006, 06:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by richard korsgren View Post

It is good you are making final decision in your own home. Whenever I am able. I buy a product from Costco because the no time limit warranty is the BEST! Other than that, usually there is a 1 year warranty on the product and that can be extented for one more year with a Visa card. That gives a person 2 years. Just be sure, if you buy an extented warranty, it does not overlap these 2 years. You will comments on both sides of the warranty fence. You will have to decide for yourself. Important to get ..in home..service.

Sounds good. I wonder when Costco will have these in stock. Getting an extended warranty is a hard decision but will help on where I will buy this set. Right now without extended warranty I'm leaning towards pcmall as they have it very inexpensive considering and the company I work for does business there which usually equates to a further discount.
post #99 of 12250 Old 10-09-2006, 06:48 AM
AVS Special Member

I posted that pic just to give people an idea of what I think are good flesh tones. The internet is a funny thing. People can arrive at whatever conclusions they want based on someone posting a pic. For example, I never once said that your pics were horrible. Secondly, people honestly now believe that I'm some Westinghouse shill pushing an agenda! All because I posted a pic! I understand that you don't think this set has red push, Therese. I really do. I just don't agree with you. And your screenshots have not proven me wrong. The idea that I'm here to sabotage this thread is just beyond paranoid.
post #100 of 12250 Old 10-09-2006, 06:55 AM
Super Moderator

Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked: 327
mod

I think a reminder is needed here too:

if you disagree with something posted: challenge the information; not the poster

Thank you

Please take the high road in every post
Please do not quote or respond to problematic posts: report them to mods to handle
post #101 of 12250 Old 10-09-2006, 07:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoda1 View Post

I posted that pic just to give people an idea of what I think are good flesh tones. The internet is a funny thing. People can arrive at whatever conclusions they want based on someone posting a pic. For example, I never once said that your pics were horrible. Secondly, people honestly now believe that I'm some Westinghouse shill pushing an agenda! All because I posted a pic! I understand that you don't think this set has red push, Therese. I really do. I just don't agree with you. And your screenshots have not proven me wrong. The idea that I'm here to sabotage this thread is just beyond paranoid.

I agree with Yoda1 and Mark Rubin. This isn't a cheerleading forum for a TV, it is a discussion of the pro/cons and I, for one, welcome critical views from both perspectives.

And, for what it is worth, I have read Yoda1's postings with great interest and have exchanged PMs with him in the past, as both of us have been following the Sharp panels closely, as we both like Sharp's products. When the 37d90u was released, we both posted opinions to the boards. Valid and critical (at times). I loved the 37d90u in all but one major respect, which was backlight bleed (of which I am told that my panel was unusual). I am still shopping for the best panel for the money, and that may be the 46d62 and it may still be the 37d90u.

I understand that sometimes it can be hard to not be defensive about criticism of a product that you researched and bought (for a considerable sum), but as I said above, I would never want to participate in a thread which stifled the dissent of those with valid views. If I wanted to read a fanboy thread, I'd read the Blu-Ray forums.

Feel free to constructively criticize viewpoints you don't agree with, but personal attacks are not ok. I think Yoda1 is owed an apology.
post #102 of 12250 Old 10-09-2006, 07:28 AM

I dont mind people posting their opinions on screenshots or digital camera shots or any of that. As long as people dont bash each other personally

I am intelligent enough to make my own conclusions about a set based on posted pics due to bad digital camera, bad picture taking skills, or post processed pictures. I question the "bad" looking pics as well as the "great" looking ones.

Im actually more interested in close up pics of the back of the model, the side, the bottom, etc.

I have mine on preorder with Visual Apex (I love that company) and cant wait until it ships. Ill have pics up of my set as soon as its mounted on my wall (probably before since Ill take pics of the box, the packaging, and everything else, im a pic hound!)

Either way, I think everyone should keep posting as long as they keep it civil. I love hearing both sides and making my own decisions
post #103 of 12250 Old 10-09-2006, 07:35 AM
Advanced Member

Bear in mind also that any pics are subject to whatever (computer) monitor they're viewed on! Gamma, brand, age, etc. will make a given photo look different on different monitors, much less photos of different TVs viewed on different monitors!

Doug
post #104 of 12250 Old 10-09-2006, 07:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug_Eldred View Post

Bear in mind also that any pics are subject to whatever (computer) monitor they're viewed on! Gamma, brand, age, etc. will make a given photo look different on different monitors, much less photos of different TVs viewed on different monitors!

Doug

Very true!

Now, can I get some assistance from other owners as to whether I should swap my 42" for a 46" because of the poor viewing angle performance of the 42"? Or, should I look at other options altogether?
post #105 of 12250 Old 10-09-2006, 07:48 AM

I am still trying to decide between the 37d90u and the 42d62u. I understand that some of you think their are issues with the 42". I cannot help to wonder as I am not as educated as you all on LCD tv sets yet, Why was the 42" rated the best lcd at CEDIA in vegas. I read that somewhere on engadget. What is CEDIA and is that a good thing or something blown out of proportion. Thanks.
My viewing distance is about 6-7 feet across a small living room. I do want to get BluRay someday so I am having trouble deciding on the set I shall get. I like the piano black so much but, if the 37" is a better tv overall then maybe that is the route to go.
I can get the 37" for about $450 less than I can get the new 42"
Please do not be annoyed by me, any thoughts would be GREATLY appreciated.
Tv shopping used to be easy. Now it is alot of money to spend on something I want to have for a while. I need to stay at or below $2000
thanks guys

Panasonic TC-PS54S1, Pioneer SC-1522-k, PS4, DT Mythos ST-L , DT CS-8080HD, DT SR-8080BP, DT SC-8000
post #106 of 12250 Old 10-09-2006, 08:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Coaster guy wrote that the 42" was rated the best LCD at Cedia... Is that really the case... I thought the Olivia 747i got that award.
post #107 of 12250 Old 10-09-2006, 08:06 AM
Advanced Member

One thing to keep in mind - there are some "experts" who claim that getting 1080p in something as small as 37" isn't really beneficial, at least at "normal" viewing distances. I'm sure some will agree, and others disagree, with this position, so it's FWIW only.

Doug
post #108 of 12250 Old 10-09-2006, 08:32 AM

Hi all,

Im looking to get a LCD 46" or bigger to be connected to a HTPC. I was ready to get a Westy 47" but they are simply not available right now. So now Im interested in the 52" and 46" sharps. ( It would be nice to have the darker blacks.)

80% of the LCD usage will be for pc usage (desktop and gaming).
The other 20% will be for movies.
No TV usage.

So my questions are

Is the Softness on the 52 that Therese mentioned a not so good thing for Desktop pc usage? It sounds good for tv or movies but what about for reading text all day.? Is small text crisp when close to the screen?

Basically Im trying to figure out is the Sharp 52 at least as good as the Westy 47 for strictly pc usage?

Ill be sitting 5 feet away from the panel.

Thanks

post #109 of 12250 Old 10-09-2006, 08:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mclassic View Post

Very true!

Now, can I get some assistance from other owners as to whether I should swap my 42" for a 46" because of the poor viewing angle performance of the 42"? Or, should I look at other options altogether?

The 46" and 52" panels are supposed to have substantially improved off axis viewing from most other LCD's on the market. The 42" Sharp unfortunately has some unknown generation and manufacturer panel (possibly a Chi Mei like that found in say the Westinghouse 42").

The odds are the 46" will be substantially better than the 42" for view angles but since none are in my area yet I can't do a direct comparison.
post #110 of 12250 Old 10-09-2006, 08:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NineHaven View Post

Hi all,

Im looking to get a LCD 46" or bigger to be connected to a HTPC. I was ready to get a Westy 47" but they are simply not available right now. So now Im interested in the 52" and 46" sharps. ( It would be nice to have the darker blacks.)

80% of the LCD usage will be for pc usage (desktop and gaming).
The other 20% will be for movies.
No TV usage.

So my questions are

Is the Softness on the 52 that Therese mentioned a not so good thing for Desktop pc usage? It sounds good for tv or movies but what about for reading text all day.? Is small text crisp when close to the screen?

Basically Im trying to figure out is the Sharp 52 at least as good as the Westy 47 for strictly pc usage?

Ill be sitting 5 feet away from the panel.

Thanks

I'm sitting 6 feet from my 46" connected to my PowerBook running at 1080@60 and it looks FANTASTIC. I never knew the joy of using a computer from my couch with my wireless keyboard & mouse. It's absolutely a joy. I guess you can say I'm a super couch potato.
But I did some work on MS Word yesterday and it's ridiculous the amount of real estate you get. The text is still crisp and with 1:1, you don't miss a thing.

Good luck!

PSN and XBox Live gamertag: JonesJohnson

Format Neutrality = Best
post #111 of 12250 Old 10-09-2006, 08:41 AM

Hello everyone...

Been following lots of threads here for a long time trying to get a panel I can be happy with.

Bought a XBR1 a while back - had to return that because the brightness of it killed me. When I tried to reduce it, it just killed the picture (played with it for 2 weeks). Also bought a Panny plasma only to discover that I see rainbow like pulses on all plasmas. Apparently, I am VERY sensitive to things I see on these larger TVs. (please don't attack me because of those previous sentences -- some people take massive offense to them and think I am crazy -- my wife included.)

Anyway... I have seen the 46" on display and it looked really good to me... but 46" is just too darn big for the place this TV needs to be sitting. I really need a 40 or 42" size.

There are so many experts here with regards to this... if you HAD to get a 40 or a 42" TV... what is the best choice? (I don't care what brand... just want the best picture I can get.)

Most of you Sharp owners seem to be the most logical with their posts (as opposed to other threads I have read)... so I value any opions you can give me.

dalandis
post #112 of 12250 Old 10-09-2006, 08:42 AM

What do you all plan to use for mounting the 52"? Am I going overboard with the new Sanus VMPL3?

http://www.sanus.com/cgi-bin/web_sto...d=5972469_1967
post #113 of 12250 Old 10-09-2006, 09:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalandis View Post

Hello everyone...

Been following lots of threads here for a long time trying to get a panel I can be happy with.

Bought a XBR1 a while back - had to return that because the brightness of it killed me. When I tried to reduce it, it just killed the picture (played with it for 2 weeks). Also bought a Panny plasma only to discover that I see rainbow like pulses on all plasmas. Apparently, I am VERY sensitive to things I see on these larger TVs. (please don't attack me because of those previous sentences -- some people take massive offense to them and think I am crazy -- my wife included.)

Anyway... I have seen the 46" on display and it looked really good to me... but 46" is just too darn big for the place this TV needs to be sitting. I really need a 40 or 42" size.

There are so many experts here with regards to this... if you HAD to get a 40 or a 42" TV... what is the best choice? (I don't care what brand... just want the best picture I can get.)

Most of you Sharp owners seem to be the most logical with their posts (as opposed to other threads I have read)... so I value any opions you can give me.

dalandis

...Only YOU can tell which is BEST for you. Take your time and view as many as you can. Try one in your home for a couple of weeks, if possible. You will get opinions all over the place here.
post #114 of 12250 Old 10-09-2006, 09:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aprather View Post

Either way, I think everyone should keep posting as long as they keep it civil. I love hearing both sides and making my own decisions

Completely agree.

As a protential buyer, it's incomplete only to hear one side of a story. For the new owners, congrats and please don't feel offended by the other side of a story.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts.
post #115 of 12250 Old 10-09-2006, 09:22 AM

fyi...just got off the phone with bb cust service - they will not negotiate over the phone (or at least wouldnt for me)...has anyone else had any luck ordering the d62s over the phone from bb with any discounts?
post #116 of 12250 Old 10-09-2006, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by timothias View Post

I'm sitting 6 feet from my 46" connected to my PowerBook running at 1080@60 and it looks FANTASTIC. I never knew the joy of using a computer from my couch with my wireless keyboard & mouse. It's absolutely a joy. I guess you can say I'm a super couch potato.
But I did some work on MS Word yesterday and it's ridiculous the amount of real estate you get. The text is still crisp and with 1:1, you don't miss a thing.

I realize that answers to these questions may well-known question, but

a) How do you connect your powerbook to the TV's HDMI port? Is there a DVI to HDMI adapter?

b) How would one connect a VGA port that can put out 1920x1080 to an HDMI port on the Sharp?

Many thanks!

Alins
post #117 of 12250 Old 10-09-2006, 09:48 AM
AVS Special Member

[quote=cdistasi]fyi...just got off the phone with bb cust service - they will not negotiate over the phone (or at least wouldnt for me)...has anyone else had any luck ordering the d62s over the phone from bb with any discounts?[/QUOTe

It is best to go into a store and discuss prices with the manager. Do not just call around to different stores asking for a better price.
post #118 of 12250 Old 10-09-2006, 09:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cewolcott View Post

What do you all plan to use for mounting the 52"? Am I going overboard with the new Sanus VMPL3?

http://www.sanus.com/cgi-bin/web_sto...d=5972469_1967

Good question I'm planning to mount a 52" on this: http://www.sanus.com/cgi-bin/web_sto...d=5972469_1967

While it says 30"-50" I think I can squeeze the extra 2" as LCD's weigh significantly less and at < 90lbs the Sharp is well under the 130lbs limit.
post #119 of 12250 Old 10-09-2006, 09:52 AM

Is the color on the Sharp's bezel truly piano black (very shiny and glossy, like the Samsungs)?
post #120 of 12250 Old 10-09-2006, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alins View Post

Is the color on the Sharp's bezel truly piano black (very shiny and glossy, like the Samsungs)?

Yes it is.
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Sharp Aquos Lc42d62u 42 Inch 1080p Lcd Hdtv
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page