Official Sharp Aquos 42D62U/46D62U/52D62U Owner's Thread (NO PRICE TALK!) - Page 88 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #2611 of 12250 Old 11-08-2006, 04:03 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by cynikal View Post

yup, not a problem (it is a mac afterall .. it auto-detects it, defaults to 1920x1080 and even recognizes the display as "SHARP HDMI".. the only caveat i noticed is it says:

1920x1080 (interlaced)

but the tv reports 1080p, and it looks great, so i'm not sure what's going on if i can make it any better? i remember someone mentioned something about it only saying interlaced several pages (like 20 or so?) but i don't recall what the outcome was.

still need to post pictures sometime, i took them, but probably gonna re-take them cuz i am not thrilled with them (and i can't think of what to actually have on the tv to show it off)

Do you have the overscan box checked in the diplay perferences? If so what happens when you uncheck this box?

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2612 of 12250 Old 11-08-2006, 05:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by A.r.k.i.v.e.r View Post

Called Sharp today and submitteed my case on my new 52" (1-800-BE-SHARP). Once the call is logged, they will shoot you over to dispatch. Dispatch is now requesting for pictures of the banding before sending a technician over to further investidate it and/or replace it. This is either to verify the claim is bad enough, or to forego the formailty of an official inspection and instead skip straight to replacement. Either way, I'm making sure my call is logged and dealt with before my 30 days is up to return it to BestBuy.

I've attached the screenshots I sent them. One is the normal shot I took using a grey background, and the other is the same pic modified using a photo editor to exagerate the banding.

Also, as a disclaimer, please do not use my photos when dealing with Sharp

Jeff

First of all, thank you for posting the pics.

How did you get it to display a grey background? I think I want to start my own process with Sharp.

I bought a 46" about 2 weeks ago and I just happened to be walking by the screen and I thought, whoa, what the hell is that line? I'm looking forward to see how this all pans out. I also hope this deals with the lighter edges I have on mostly the left side of the screen.
post #2613 of 12250 Old 11-08-2006, 05:27 PM

Can this set do 1080p over VGA or Component? just curious as I saw it today and for the price I really like it, could become my new home office tv but I want to clear that q up as if it does not, then I may have to get the sammy

LIVE: WTX DEATHRIDE
PSN: Robocop2
WII: blah blah blah numbers
post #2614 of 12250 Old 11-08-2006, 05:27 PM

Quote:

Called Sharp today and submitteed my case on my new 52" (1-800-BE-SHARP). Once the call is logged, they will shoot you over to dispatch. Dispatch is now requesting for pictures of the banding before sending a technician over to further investidate it and/or replace it. This is either to verify the claim is bad enough, or to forego the formailty of an official inspection and instead skip straight to replacement. Either way, I'm making sure my call is logged and dealt with before my 30 days is up to return it to BestBuy.

I've attached the screenshots I sent them. One is the normal shot I took using a grey background, and the other is the same pic modified using a photo editor to exagerate the banding.

Jeff

This is pretty much what I'm seeing as well. I've put my case in to Sharp and have gotten a slightly different response. What I got is essentially that they realize there is a problem and their technicians are investigating this with a high priority but they will call me once they've got a solution rather than send me out a replacement or a technician. They did not have an ETA for this to happen so I'm going to have to go negotiate an extended return window with Magnolia or return it altogether.
post #2615 of 12250 Old 11-08-2006, 05:31 PM

Quote:

Jeff

Those are excellent photos - my first set had vertical bands and my current set has horizontal - looks like you have both...

I called Sharp dispatch today, and they were going to authorize a refund/pickup of my replacement set -

I said I would keep the set and if in the next few months a replacement set isn't available that does NOT have this banding, I will ask for a refund. I reminded them that the one year warranty buys me time, and they agreed.

So, I'm going to enjoy my very nice, albeit flawed set and will call them in a month.

Happy Holidays!!!!!!
post #2616 of 12250 Old 11-08-2006, 05:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robocop2 View Post

Can this set do 1080p over VGA or Component? just curious as I saw it today and for the price I really like it, could become my new home office tv but I want to clear that q up as if it does not, then I may have to get the sammy

It can accept a 1080p over component. It does not have a VGA connection. If you want to connect a PC you will need a DVI based graphics card and a DVI-D -> HDMI cable. (unless you have the rare graphics card that has HDMI already)
post #2617 of 12250 Old 11-08-2006, 05:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronscool View Post

This is pretty much what I'm seeing as well. I've put my case in to Sharp and have gotten a slightly different response. What I got is essentially that they realize there is a problem and their technicians are investigating this with a high priority but they will call me once they've got a solution rather than send me out a replacement or a technician. They did not have an ETA for this to happen so I'm going to have to go negotiate an extended return window with Magnolia or return it altogether.

I'm in the same boat as Aaronscool, however I call them once a week to ask about the status. (I don't trust them to call me.) Today's rep said they expect at least another month before I get a replacement set.

Magnolia has been super awesome throughout this fiasco and understand the delay. I'm not sure how long they will wait though. If Sharp continues to push off on this, then my patience will wear thin.
post #2618 of 12250 Old 11-08-2006, 06:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by briand67 View Post

It can accept a 1080p over component. It does not have a VGA connection. If you want to connect a PC you will need a DVI based graphics card and a DVI-D -> HDMI cable. (unless you have the rare graphics card that has HDMI already)

Very good thanks for the reply DVI isnt really an option as the main reason I ask abt VGA is because I was planning on picking up the VGA cables for my 360 which I suppose is really a moot point in this instance

LIVE: WTX DEATHRIDE
PSN: Robocop2
WII: blah blah blah numbers
post #2619 of 12250 Old 11-08-2006, 08:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 27
Just wanted to say I have joined the club thanks to my amazing wife who surprised me on our one year anniversary. Arrives Friday and I hope without the dreaded banding !!!!!!!!!!
post #2620 of 12250 Old 11-08-2006, 08:47 PM
Advanced Member

why so many panels Suzook, must have a BIG house.
post #2621 of 12250 Old 11-08-2006, 08:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpmurr View Post

Thanks for the tip! I noticed my Vista background looked a little too sharp and set it to -4. Clean it right up and now it looks really smooth.

For computer use I'd recommend turning the sharpening off entirely. -10 (the minimum) actually does entirely turn off sharpening! (Some TVs don't seem to want to allow that)
post #2622 of 12250 Old 11-08-2006, 09:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterlee View Post

To step away from the banding issue for a sec....

Has anyone tested their set to see if it resolves all the lines of resolution or it throws away half the detail? This is the infamous deinterlacing scandal that Gary Merson of Home Theater Magazine discovered and reported on. In the past, Sharp sets have not done so well so I'm wondering if these new sets deinterlace properly. If you're unfamiliar with the very important issue, take a look at the latest article by Gary Merson at:

http://www.hometheatermag.com/hookmeup/1106hook/

I haven't done any "official" kinds of tests, but I can definitely see the difference in a 1080i feed between letting a signal play and hitting the "freeze" button on the remote, versus hitting pause on the DVR. The freeze button holds the full image as the TV is showing it and obviously has full 1080 vertical resolution (so the TV must therefore be properly deinterlacing both 1080i fields), while the DVR's paused frame is just one field, and clearly has half the vertical resolution. So I think you can safely say that Sharp aren't shortcutting on the deinterlacing, thankfully.
post #2623 of 12250 Old 11-08-2006, 09:04 PM

Last weekend was my 3 week "anniversary" of picking up my 46D62U. I've got a call in to Sharp about my banding, but wanted to go pester Best Buy about my 30 day return period before it expired. They've been really nice about it - they extended my return period until mid January (!!!!) so that I can take the time to see if Sharp can figure this out.

I re-hooked up my Dell 2405FPW computer monitor to the cable box via component, which is how I've watched my HD for the last year and a half (it does full 1920x1080). Unfortunately having watched the Sharp for 3 weeks now the Dell just seems like complete crap So I am really glad I can keep my Sharp around instead of having to return it until the issues get sorted out, because even with the banding the picture is still leaps and bounds better than the Dell.
post #2624 of 12250 Old 11-08-2006, 10:01 PM

I have heard no news from Sharp about my case. I called them back today and they informed me that Sharp does not yet know what the problem is, but their engineers are looking into it.

So I have decided to swap out my current 52" set for another from BB just before my 30 days is up and roll the dice. I will see if BB will extend my exchange period for the replacement also since I really don't want to repeat this process if the next one has banding issues.

I also have a question for anyone. I have noticed the picture getting brighter and darker on certain scenes almost like it is trying to adjust the brightness itself. Yes, OPC is off. Any ideas?
post #2625 of 12250 Old 11-08-2006, 10:59 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Hey all,

New to the family. Just got the 46 incher today. Hopefully no banding. Sharp seems to be spot on about their handling of the issue though. At least in getting "you" a new set without banding untill they can actually figure out the issue within the set.

[EDIT]

Well just wanted to say hello to everyone now that I feel more like a piece of the pie, so to speak.
post #2626 of 12250 Old 11-08-2006, 11:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldcarrot View Post

I also have a question for anyone. I have noticed the picture getting brighter and darker on certain scenes almost like it is trying to adjust the brightness itself. Yes, OPC is off. Any ideas?

I've noticed that as well with my unit. I tried setting the OPC and black levels to off but it didn't matter.

55HX950 l SC-1522-K l SP-PK51FS l RW12-D l XB1 l PS4 l RNG200 l P31 LIVE:BPMURR PSN:BPMURR
post #2627 of 12250 Old 11-08-2006, 11:31 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrantR View Post

I haven't done any "official" kinds of tests, but I can definitely see the difference in a 1080i feed between letting a signal play and hitting the "freeze" button on the remote, versus hitting pause on the DVR. The freeze button holds the full image as the TV is showing it and obviously has full 1080 vertical resolution (so the TV must therefore be properly deinterlacing both 1080i fields), while the DVR's paused frame is just one field, and clearly has half the vertical resolution. So I think you can safely say that Sharp aren't shortcutting on the deinterlacing, thankfully.

GrantR, thanks for the response but I'm not sure the conclusion you reach is supported by your test. As I understand the deinterlacing issue, the sets that failed were throwing out half the vertical lines and simply doubling the remaining half to create a "full" picture. You would see 1080 vertical lines, it's just that half the lines were simply duplicated. In your case, that could still be going with the Sharp freeze frame; you see a "full" picture but one that is generated from only half the original lines. The quality difference you see between the set's freeze and the DVR's pause could be because the DVR doesn't even double the lines like the set's freeze does but only display 500-odd lines when paused. This is speculation on my part and I honestly don't know what the answer is. I hope Home Theater Mag updates its tests soon.
post #2628 of 12250 Old 11-09-2006, 12:43 AM

Do 46D62U and 52D62U accept 1080p full HD source through HDMI ports without down/up converting?

THnks.
post #2629 of 12250 Old 11-09-2006, 01:27 AM

I find it rather disconcerting at this late stage to find that SHARP has not made any public statement with regards to these flawed sets.

I have been following this thread from its inception because I was considering purchasing the 52 and hoping against hope (so far) that SHARP would publicly address this issue with a solution.

I currently own a SHARP set with which I am very satisfied with. I just wanted to upgrade a bit.

As a potential buyer I obviously have many alternatives available, just wishing SHARP would come out of the closet on this one!
post #2630 of 12250 Old 11-09-2006, 02:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jagdtiger View Post

I find it rather disconcerting at this late stage to find that SHARP has not made any public statement with regards to these flawed sets.

I have been following this thread from its inception because I was considering purchasing the 52 and hoping against hope (so far) that SHARP would publicly address this issue with a solution.

I currently own a SHARP set with which I am very satisfied with. I just wanted to upgrade a bit.

As a potential buyer I obviously have many alternatives available, just wishing SHARP would come out of the closet on this one!

I very much doubt (imo) that Sharp will ever make a formal public announcement regarding the "Banding" problem. All this would do would be to "panic" all the thousands of purchasers of this TV who are blissfully unaware of this problem and are perfectly happy with their viewing experience. Sharp would be absolutely overwhelmed by people requesting new sets or repairs, it would cost them an absolute fortune to deal with.

It needs to be remembered that although the "Banding" is well documented on this and other threads and therefore the problem would appear to be extremely well known by the general public, it's probably NOT!, the people reading these forums represent just a very small percentage of the total people who have bought these TVs.

Graham.
post #2631 of 12250 Old 11-09-2006, 04:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aprather View Post

No, that would not have helped. The feed was horrible and your display could not do much with that type of thing.

thanks.
post #2632 of 12250 Old 11-09-2006, 05:01 AM

Quote:

I've noticed that as well with my unit. I tried setting but OPC and black levels to off but it didn't matter.

I believe once I noticed that if you adjust the picture to User or Dynamic, that isn't as noticeable. But, even last night, I noticed it!
post #2633 of 12250 Old 11-09-2006, 05:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shinraven View Post

why so many panels Suzook, must have a BIG house.

Not so much a big house just spaced out correctly

Panny in living room and bedroom (master)
52 is going to be my new computer monitor
45 is going out to the pool area (HELP I NEED AN AVC BOX)
37 is being moved to a guest bedroom.

I need one more and I have all the major living areas covered
post #2634 of 12250 Old 11-09-2006, 05:56 AM

As to the infamous "red push", I noticed the following from Sharp's website "moretosee.com". "Sharp has added a deep crimson to the three standard primary colors of blue, green, and red on all AQUOS models. This four wavelength backlight beautifully reproduces all the varied skintones making people's skin look fresher and more lively." Wonder if it also makes people's skin look like they have high blood pressure?

Interesting comment from one poster about successfully having BB extend the 30 day period to give Sharp time to "fix" the "banding" problem. Anybody else successfully or unsuccessfully do this?
post #2635 of 12250 Old 11-09-2006, 07:19 AM

Quote:

Jeff

Great photos ... how did you setup the TV to have this behavior ?
Is it a still picture ?
I'm not sure my 'bands' are so obvious to see ...
post #2636 of 12250 Old 11-09-2006, 07:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dearsmiths View Post

I believe once I noticed that if you adjust the picture to User or Dynamic, that isn't as noticeable. But, even last night, I noticed it!

Mine was doing that while watching Gladiator. It was very annoying! Turning it OFF of Dynamic fixed the problem.
post #2637 of 12250 Old 11-09-2006, 07:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by briandwlee View Post

Do 46D62U and 52D62U accept 1080p full HD source through HDMI ports without down/up converting?

THnks.

Once again ... yes
post #2638 of 12250 Old 11-09-2006, 08:05 AM
TNG
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by catseye View Post

Great photos ... how did you setup the TV to have this behavior ?
Is it a still picture ?
I'm not sure my 'bands' are so obvious to see ...

You can access test screens from the service mode. You can also turn you set into expensive junk from the service mode as well, so be careful.

Here is the link to the thread for this. The first post tells you how to do it.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=747234
post #2639 of 12250 Old 11-09-2006, 08:05 AM

Quote:

I've noticed that as well with my unit. I tried setting but OPC and black levels to off but it didn't matter.

How do you turn off the "OPC" ?
post #2640 of 12250 Old 11-09-2006, 08:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by uncle_b View Post

Another way to get a uniform grey background to check for banding is to use the built-in service menu. There are probably ways of really messing up your set if you do the wrong thing from the service menus, so do this at your own risk:

Enter service menu by first unplugging set, then while holding both input button and volume down button, plug TV back in. Within about 5 seconds, the set will power up (without pressing the "on" button); keep holding the input and volume down buttons until a small "K" appears in a box on the left side of the screen. Then press and hold the channel down and vol down buttons at the same time to enter the service menu.

Once the service menu is displayed on the screen, you can get the screen to display different levels of solid grey by pressing the number keys on your remote. i.e. press "1" to get a relatively dark grey, 2 for a lighter grey, and so on up to 6 which is a bright white screen; 7, 8, and 9 don't appear to do anything. Press any number a second time to return to the service menu.

On my set, even though I hadn't noticed any banding in normal viewing, I could immediately see some faint vertical and horizontal banding using these screens, with it being most obvious on the 1 and 2 settings. I'm not sure if it warrants returning the set or not, but now that I have seen the bands, I think I will notice them occasionally in normal viewing.

I just got my 52 and while the picture looks great I wanted to test it using the service menu. But I am having difficulty with the procedure described above. Has anyone else out there had issues getting into the service menu? Any other thoughts that might help?

Thanks
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Sharp Aquos Lc42d62u 42 Inch 1080p Lcd Hdtv
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page