Official Sharp Aquos 42D62U/46D62U/52D62U Owner's Thread (NO PRICE TALK!) - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 12251 Old 10-07-2006, 11:50 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 161
A NEW THREAD FOR PEOPLE INTERESTED ONLY IN TWEAKS AND SETTINGS OF THEIR BRAND NEW 42/46/52D62U HAS BEEN CREATED: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=747234. FEEL FREE TO VISIT THERE IF YOU FEEL THIS THREAD'S "BANDING" ISSUE HAS GOTTEN OUT OF HAND AND DOMINATES THE CONVERSATION.

(UPDATE 11/30/06): WE HAVE ALSO ADDED A BRAND NEW 'UNOFFICIAL SHARP D62U BANDING FAQ' AT THE VERY END OF THIS FIRST POST. IF YOU'RE NEW TO THE SHARP D62U TV SETS AND ENCOUNTER "BANDING" DURING REGULAR VIEWING. THIS SOMEWHAT HUMOROUS FAQ IS WRITTEN BY FELLOW AVSFORUM MEMBER "adorablerocket."

With the blessing of our own Therese (wpwj40e) I'm starting a thread for new owners of the Sharp 1080p AQUOS LCD's to discuss picture settings, tweaks, etc. using her first-hand accounts from the LC-52D62U TV set she just purchased. Please don't post/ask about prices, where you can buy one, what's the best deal online, etc. This is a thread for people that have bought (or are certain that they're buying) a 42D62U, 46D62U or 52D62U Sharp AQUOS and want to share experiences. Let's start with links to specs for each individual model based on Sharp's own website:

Sharp LC-42D62U: http://www.sharpusa.com/products/Mod...8,1761,00.html

Sharp LC-46D62U: http://www.sharpusa.com/products/Mod...8,1745,00.html

Sharp LC-52D62U: http://www.sharpusa.com/products/Mod...8,1744,00.html

Please note that the 42" model is not manufactured by Sharp at its new Kameyana II plant and doesn't share the 2,000:1 contrast ration as its 46" and 52" brothers have (the 42"'s contrast ratio is listed as 1,200:1). This doesn't mean the 42" is a bad or terrible 1080p LCD, but it's also not as 'tricked out' as its 46" and 52" counterparts. Speaking of Sharp's Kameyana II plant, it's a brand new state-of-the-art manufacturing facility in Japan that Sharp is touting as much as the LCD's themselves. It's suppposed to speed-up and improve the manufacturing of big-screen AQUOS LCD's with more efficiency and quick turnarond. It's built next to Kameyana I, the assembly planet Sharp still uses for the manufacturing of smaller AQUOS LCD's (like the 37D90U and others).

Here are the impressions, in chronological order, of Therese's experiences with her Sharp LC-52D62U from her postings on the big 'Sharp D62U Line' thread (http://:http://www.avsforum.com/avs-...9&page=1&pp=30). I've skipped a few irrelevant posts and concentrated on the posts that have the most useful information.:

10/06/06, 6:58PM:
-----------------------

Do not have time to read the past two pages of impressions - but I skimmed...so will try and address what some others have reported...

Here's my take, with the usual disclaimors...IMHO, YMMV etc...

Best Buy is the WORST place to try and evaluate a set. The loop feed is horrid and they refuse to really hook up a bunch of sources. That said I was in 3 Best Buy's today viewing this set.

I will concentrate on the place where I had a Pioneer 6071 and a Sony 40" XBR2 right next to it.

The first thing I did was to dial in the two adjacent sets correctly - using my settings of choice posted numerous times in the repsective threads.

Now onto the Sharp...

There is a pronounced red push. Much more so than I have seen with other sets. It took about 30 minutes of tweaking to ALLEVIATE it - as in GONE. So while outta box - it is there - it can be easily tweaked away. Lets move onto PQ...

First off - this set has the best black and contrast levels of any LCD I have evern seen. I would go as far to say that it is just as good as the Pioneer and better than the Sony XBR2/3. You need to dial down the backlight and run some other adjustments - when done the black and detail levels are FANTASTIC. Let me repeat...the BEST I have ever seen on any LCD - very close if not on par with the Pioneer.

If you are familiar with the BB loop - there is a section where they are showing a football game - the black logo in center field was pitch black - WITHOUT crushing and you could make out the individual grass strands that were colored black. Not dark gray or charcoal black, but black black. There are several scenes where there is a man wearing a black jacket with a black tshirt underneath. The tshirt has more "texture" to it and is BLACK, while the jacket stood out as black as well. Clearly seeing the difference in the two materials.

I could go on and on about the black levels and the contrast - but it is there and in spades!!!!

Color is very good (once dialed in) and on par with the Sony and equally as bright and vibrant as the Pioneer. Because of the great contrast and black levels the color just "pops" off the screen and there is a great deal of depth to the image.

I found the picture to be much less noisy than the Sony XBR - much more smooth - more like the Pioneer. Yes - when standing within 2 feet there clearly was noise (mosquito and some macroblocking) this was eveident on all sets showing the feed - the Sharp did a stellar job handling it and at 7-8 ft back (my viewing distance) the picture appeared clean, smooth and detailed.

The PQ appeared a tad, I mean minor, but noticeable when comparing it - a tad softer than that of the SOny. This could have been size related (52" versus 40") but you could see it was just ever so slightly softer than that of the Sony. It was also so much cleaner than the Sony - that I would give up that minor softness for the less noisy picture.

There were quite a few options on the set such as setting different modes, color space etc. I played with a few. They do seem very sensitive.

Aesthetically - I LOVE the looks of this set. I did not find the Piano black bezel to be at all distracting, in fact it just made the PQ seem all the more deep.

The Sharp does not have individual RGB settings and it really took me awhile to play with the color temp, modes etc to dial it in. My major gripe would be the lack of fine tune color control.

Well - there's a few thoughts - and if I think of more I will post.

Oh...and I liked the set so much - I bought it

BB can be negotiated with

Therese
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
10/07/06, 12:01AM:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Yoda1
With all due respect, Therese, from where I'm sitting your impressions are full of hyperbole. Yes, the set has good blacks levels (for an LCD) and yes, they might be a step ahead of the competition, but where you totally lost me is when you decided to compare this set's black levels to that of the Pioneer plasma. The two are not even in the same universe. My suspicion is that you didn't watch much material where the set had to struggle to resolve good shadow detail. You said you saw this set at Best Buy, so I'm assuming you saw the clip of HOUSE that runs on the BB antenna loop. Well, it's during this scene in particular that the black levels on this set really, really struggled. What I saw was a muddy mess of undefined mush. I'm assuming there's a technical term for this kind of visual artifact, but I don't know what it would be called. Also, to Westa, you really need to relax, my friend. This set absolutely exhibits an unacceptable amount of red push. The fact that your ultra high-end, super-duper model Sharp doesn't have it doesn't make it so. I think this is one of the areas in which Therese and I agree. Like I said earlier today, I think this set is very, very nice. And an excellent value. It's just not the end-all be-all set I think many people were hoping it would be. It carries the same flaws that all LCDs have: a virtual inability to resolve good shadow detail and deep black, and lackluster color decoding. I suspect ISF calibrators are going to have a hell of a time dialing in the colors on this set. It should make for an interesting experiment.

Sorry for the hyperbole. I was short on time. Dial the backlight down, play with contrast and make sure all external processsing is off. I am very comfortable reporting on dithering and posterization within black levels as well as contouring and other artifacts. You can clearly see these on many displays. The Sharp was holding it's own. Since I had these sets next to each other with NO overhead lights - am comfortable with what I saw. Yes - I saw the house scenes and I know very well how bad these can look.

You would have to know me well to understand that I can get s Panny/Nec/Sony for well off the current MSRP. Ridiculous $$$$, if you may. However, I have not been convinced for my viewing conditions that any of the current displays (bar the 65 1080p) from these mfg's would meet my needs. I feel the Sharp does.

I agree the in store setup is a mess - but quite frankly - so it is for the Panny and the Sony and the Pioneer FHD. If you use the store, thier lighting and thier default settings to evaluate these sets - you are doing yourself a disservice.

The best 1080p set out there today is clearly the FHD by Pioneer, after that - well go for it. I think the Sony XBR is tops - but - it has a noisy picture. I don't care how you cut it or what you do - the PQ on this set without the most pristine of sources is noisy. I liked the Sharp - even though I feel it has a softer picture and it cost me more than the Sony.

So hyperbole or not - I am telling it like I see it. Hence my disclaimor...I will bring it home and if it does not hold up will report that as well. I have sent a a set back that did not meet what I needed. So have no problem saying so...

Therese
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
10/07/06, 12:34AM:

You simply cannot evaluate a set at BB without seriously tweaking and dealing with the light conditions. Panny set in vivid or the Sony XBR in its default or the Pionner FHD etc. This set (Sharp)does not show well with default settings connected to a coax feed split god knows how many ways.

I would say the same about just about any set at BB. I am not trying to justify my purchase and if when I get it home it does not perform - back it goes. But you can get an indication of performance....

I have seen the Sony a bunch of times and set it up for friends. It was the top LCD contender for me. I however, could not get over how noisy the PQ was, the smearing I had witnessed or how poorly it handles sub par signals. It clearly has some of the best black levels of LCD's on the market and with a pristine signal - is/was about the best I have seen. The flowers on the Sony feed are soemthing to behold. I do not believe the Sharp has beat it in producing the best PQ for the most pristine of signals. It is my impression that the Sharp is softer in detail than the Sony.

I am very much enthralled with black levels and contrast. After playing with the Sharp for the better part of 4 hours in 3 different settings - I saw enough to convince me that the set could deliver. Better than my Panny - well I will know tomorrow Better than the Sony - yes - by a slight margin. Comparable with the Pioneer in the in store set up - yes. That will go against what plasma owners have said and see to day on thier panels - but the Sharp is very, very good here. I spent 1.5 hours doing nothing but playing to compare black and contrast levels. I guess I got convinced - YMMV...

The colors as set by default are not great - clearly a red push. I was quite frustrated trying ot get rid of it...I did...but without RGB settings it is not easy. I feel the lack of finer tuned color control is an issue and hope to find SM settings to really dial this in. It got good - but never great...and it feels like it can get there....

I was able to dial it in to the same level for the Sony and you would be hard pressed to tell the difference.

I have seen the comments regarding the noisier picture on the Sharp versus the Sony - all I can say is I do not understand. These are both great sets and the SOny offers MANY more features than the Sharp as well as inputs and calibration opportunities. But a noise free picture...well...its very hard to achieve on the Sony...IMHO.

The Sharp has several less inputs and the manual has a wierd PC input chart that does not make any sense. It claims to accept ful 1080p on the HDMI inputs but less so using a PC source. Since this does not make any sense - I fear that trial and error will be the only way to determine what the Sharp truly accepts. That will be one of the first tests I do tomorrow when I get it!

I will post more when I get the actual tv tomorrow and have a chance to really put it through the wringer!

Therese
10/07/06, 10:17AM:

As I recall there were some major "negative" reviews(when first released from casual in store viewing) with the Sony...amd the Samsung...and the...well you get the picture

Certainly I did not try all sources/inputs and get a chance to really test this set. By buying localy with a 30 day return policy - I feel comfortable that I will either dial in this set and find out what I perceived in the store it can do - or back to the drawing board.

When I tested the Sony/samsung/Jvc and others I either had them in my home, a friends home and was able to work with a dealer that allowed me to play with these sets extensivley in store with many feeds for many hours and days

BB was not that accomodating. I saw enough that I felt it was worth the hassle to get it home and really test it out. Given the return policy of a local buy - this was pretty risk free. So here's whats on the plate to test:

PC /HDMI 1:1 W/O overscan
HD DVD - PQ, Black Levels
HD DVR(Sa 8300) - Video 1080i, 480i/480p
SD PQ - Strecth & Non Stretch Modes
Noisy Video
SD DDV Upscaling & de interlacing
Backlight leakage/banding
Pixels
XBOX 360 - PQ and motion
Sports 1080i/720 p - Motion
Picture settings per input/and calibration capabilities - memories etc
OTA reception/tuning

If you guys can think of more I have multiple DVD players, mutliple HD DVR boxes (SA 8200 and DTV box), Mac And Win OS boxes etc.

Therese
10/07/06, 10:23AM

the manual had a very starnge take on this. Had a paragraph exlaining how to set up many devices via HDMI and setting the output to 1080p. Then had a PC section further down the page (doing this from memory) stating the acceptable PC resolution. Went as high as 13xx by 1024. For the life of me cannot figure this out as you are connecting via HDMI and if sending a 1080p signal - why the discrepency?

Anyways - Rest assured it will be among the FIRST things I test out when my set arrives!

Therese

[EDIT: keep reading, because Therese discovered when she tested her 52D62U set at home that this is bogus and the PC resolution doesn't suffer from the limitations the manual talks about].
10/07/07,4:38PM:

Just taking a breather for a few minutes and back to the "lab" I go

Sd is very good. My family insisted that was the first thing I checked - going to PC next. The smart stretch is wonderful. They have full blessed watching Sd from 7 feet. I personally don't thinks its that good and since I rarely if ever watch SD - as long as they are happy - well thats all that counts. From about 9-10' SD looks darn good and on digital SD stations - while not HD - very very good. I would even say comperable to my Panny ED and that is saying alot!!!

Since I do not want to start a war on who's set is better - suffice to say - those that watch a fair amount of Sd and are used to CRT - will not have a problem with this set.Remember this is SD at 52"

And it is watchable!
Therese
10/07/06, 5:42PM:

Quick Update. Posting from my new display!!

Yes it does 1:1 via HDMI with NO overscan. I have taken a few pics which I will get up later. Using an iMac at the moment - with an ATI card. Recognizes the Sharp and since Im on a MAC I can choose the Sharp HDMI colorspace from my MAC - or you gotta love this...You can go to the Sharp HDMI setup window on the TV and select the signal type of either RGB, YCbCr 4:4:4 or YCbCr 4:2:2.

You can pretty much get any color space you want between the Sharp's capabilities and if you have a MAC - the Mac OS capabilities.

Yep - Am LOVING the 1:1 and the PC res. BTW - Looks everybit as good as the PC res over on the Westy thats up in my kids room. They want the bigger set - not gonna happen!!!!

I also just discovered a bunch of new modes buried under the slider in the remote. Guess it helps to actually read the manual. So now gonna go play some more...

Keeping in mind the manual leaves alot to be desired - clearly has the whole PC thing ALL wrong.

And my pictures on this set.....Stops...'Cause I really don't want to gush - but picture slideshows on this monster....okay gonna gush...drop dead gorgeous. I did not know I took such great photo's

Therese
10/07/06, 6:05PM:

Confirmed. Yes it DOES accept 1080p via HDMI. 1:1 and no overscan using dot by dot mode.

Therese
10/07/06, 8:40PM:

Well...got kicked off my new set - something about family wanting to watch movies...go figure

So will start with my impressions after a 6-7 hour run with the 52D62U...Again - These are my impressions, IMHO and YMMV...

Normaly I like to talk about build qaulity , manuals remote and such. Have a feeling that you will all skip - so I will leave for a later post

My sources tested today:
SA8300 feeding 1080i and 480i via HDMI (am going to play with component and other outputs later)
Moviebeam feeding 720p and 480p via HDMI
Hd-A1 feeding 1080i via HDMI
XBOX360 using component
iMac using DVI-to HDMI
Pc (Nvidia card) using DVI to HDMI

Component routed through a denon 5803
HDMI (except for PC) routed through a monoprice 5:1 switcher

Have COX HD as broadcast source.

It should be mentioned that the sharp (much to my chagrin later ) has av modes which are accessed via a small sliding door on the remote. (Can we say STUPID !!!!!here!!!) As I could not find these modes anywhere else on the menu system. Harmony remote here we come!

Anyways these modes alter the display PQ in traditional ways and some not so traditional as it appears there is something called "Enhanced Contrast" which is nowhere to be found in the menu system. Since you can set up PQ settings for each mode - but cannot acccess the enhanced contrast - it now makes tweaking this set a logarithmic event! As you need to intertwine the mode, PQ settings and inputs. More on that later...but for the sake of today I did not get the set dialed in the way I would have liked to and have a feeling it will take many hours for me to do so. So dialed in the settings to the extent I needed to for acceptable PQ - but by no means final.

SD Viewing

Using 480i from the afore mentioned SA8300 box via HDMI, the PQ on digital SD was anywhere from good to very good. (Outstanding being used for HD 1080i and fantastic being reserved for HD DVD at 1080i - just to give you a sense of my scale). Viewing Sd in 4:3 from about 7ft proved to be very watchable and stretched (using Sharp's smart stretch - which is excellent and beats the Panny just mode) using a good SD source was also very good. Poor SD sources were okay and certainly no worse than your prior CRT - stretching poor sources (Sd) at 7ft was enough pretty ugly. At 10 ft or better - all the SD sources looked pretty good stretched and most will find the SD PQ on this set to very watchable. The color space is pretty good and loss of color, red push does not become any more evident in viewing a 1080i source. It would have been nice of Sharp to allow us to adjust the color space for SD/HD sources as it clearly recognized tham and allows adjusting the color space elsewhere. I could not find a way to do this. Not that any other set does - just would have been nice I did not see where the noise reduction setting added any benefit. And it is also not in the PQ settings but under yet a completely different menu window. Sharp really should be shot for their poor menu and settings layout. It did not appear ay worse - or better.

You guys will have to ask specific questions on SD as I really do not pay much attention to it. Digital SD was for the most very good at almost all times and needless to say upconverted SD DVD (via my HD DVD were somewhere shy of fantastic)

1080i/720p Video

Using typical HD stations - Anywhere from excellent to very good. Discovery as usual had some stellar material and recent recordings of the Sea and Antartica were without question just unbelieveable. Very litttle mosquito noise (although at 2-3 ft one could see it) and same with macroblocking. Pans were clean and pixelation was not an issue. The footballs games to day were another story. While motion was not an issue - on several feeds there was a very noisy picture simply loaded with macroblcoking and mosquito noise. I ran my Panny Ed at the same time and found the feed to be the issue. However 52" of 1080p screen emphasized it and while watchable - was kinda irritating. It would go away and then return. At 10ft back not as much of an issue - at 7ft...I wanted to clobber the camerman, station and all those responsible for sending us garbage!!! Switching to the next game - PQ would then improve. Clearly this is a source and feed issue. But at 52" - the Sharp - just like all the other stellar 1080 sets out there is gonna emphasize the garbage you get from the overcompressed poorly shot video. NR and nothing I could touch on the set played it down much. Was this an overwhelming majority of the material...no...but if you shold be in your local BB when this is on - you will not get this set if that ends up being your only "viewing"!

Solid 1080i/720p material - was consistantly very good to excellent and made you appreciate the size of the display. Especially at 7ft where one could really appreciate all the detail.

I saw little difference in good 720p versus 1080i. 1080i tended to be a bit sharper - well and the colors were better/brighter and certainly more appealing than say FOX. We watched baseball/football and some recorded basketball and a bit of the Olympics. At no time did I see anything that could be considered motion blur that I would attribute to the display. (For those that have seen some of the pans done across the football field - that is the source and not the set!!!) I tried the 4ms setting and where I already had a not so good 1080i feed - in my mind it made it worse. Where the feed was excellent - I saw no difference. By worse - it introduced additional noise and macro blocking into the picture - on an excellent picture I could not discern that anything improved - I also did not see any negative effects. For the most part I left it off today. Many of the ball games looked great and I can't wait to watch tomorrow - and I mean watch the games and not the TV PQ

HD DVD

This is why you get one of these sets. OMG...Fantastic...Bloody wonderful. and yes - it is hyperbole...But the Sharp - when fed a really good source - just smokes anything less. I have seen the lsser size compeitors be equally as good. I have not seen them at 52" I wanted to watch all my HD DVD's again. Since I have not yet seen Batman Returns - I refused to watch more than 5 minutes - but yes...it is that good. If Sharp wanted to sell these sets to the masses - put in BR on an HD DVD and let it play. At 52" - you want more, bigger and closer. There really is nothing else to add here. If you end up with this set - you owe it to yourself to feed it some 1080i goodness, set it in dot by dot and well...you will lose the ability to play or tweak anymore. Thank God I was pretty much done for the day when I started with the HD DVD's. I lost my set then Upconverted DVD's looked quite good. I have been very happy with my A1 - paired with the Sharp - I am ecstatic

Mac & PC's

Despite what the manual says - the Sharp DOES take a 1080p input via HDMI - using dot by dot gives you 1:1 pixel mapping and there is NO overscan. Addiitonally you have the choice of colorspace to use as I reported earlier.RGB, YCbCr 4:4:4 or YCbCr 4:2:2

We also spend some time (okay my son and his friend) playing with their super duper PC's and they all connected without an issue at 1080p. However trying 1080p24 appeared to be more problematic. I thought I was seeing film based material and that they had actually got this working. However I was assured that they "faked" it out and could not get it to synch properly. the boys thought it hasd something to do with their settings and the Sharp timing. I got tired of them playing with this after about 45 minutes and my friends son is gonna bring over the "dedicated" HTPC they use at home for viewing this material and try again tomorrow. Apparently they thought they were close.

So - sorry folks - at the moment it does not appear to accept 1080p24, but will try again tomorrow.

PC usage at 52" from 7 ft is just great and since I can scale my web browser - no problem sitting and posting or reading forums Hey I did it earlier! The kids ran some games WOW and a few others which bored me to tears - but the dragons or whatever they were looked great and they assured me they were fine and there was no motion blur. They got into some discussion that went along the lines of how many frames are you getting - can your card do it and man look at it on this set - no mine is slow - no its your card dude.

My gist of the conversation was that if your card can handle the action - the set certainly can.

XBOX360

if it gets better than this - No one in my family is gonna be at work or school No motion blur - colors, brightness - detail was fantastic. Oblivion, Kamero and Tiger Woods and Call of Duty were all tried. It becomes very hard to pull yourself away...You guys have seen xbox360 before - now do it 1080p goodness on 52".... Brilliant!

Moviebeam

480p was pretty good. Movie beam actually does a pretty decent job of this. I did not like the 480p PQ on this set over my Panny. It is marginally better on the Panny. Simply too soft. Moviebeam 720p is nothing to write home about - and on a 1080p panel was just too soft and washed out looking. This is one source that displays much better on my Panny than the Sharp. Not bad - but your not gonna drop thousands on this set if this is your source.

Gonna stop for now...And will post more regarding color/black levels and other assundry topics...

Therese
10/07/06, 9:18AM:

Some other topics...Regarding the Sharp 52D62u...IMHO...YMMV

Off axis viewing.
Going from about straight on to 150 degrees or so - there was no noticeable drop off in light or color. At about 170 degree's or therabouts - it was ever so slightly dimmer. Standing up - laying down or otherwise watching the display from a different vertical position did not change the PQ at all.

Build Quality
The build on this set is very nice. The stand is a heavy duty plastic with a metal underbase. Screws and finish are well done with no signs of stress or marring. The set feels very solid, button appear to work well and there were no strange buzzing or high pitched noises eminating from the set.

Aesthetics
This is pretty subjective as all of us have different tastes. I prefer a black unobtrusive bezel. While slightly nervous that the piano black would be too reflective - I am not going with a Plasma for this room for the very reason of severe glare and lack of light control - the piano black bezel did not impact me at all. It IS highly reflective and one could see spots of light - but it is so narrow in perspective to the actual display that after removing the plastic and looking at it without a picture - we all forgot about it. Not once did anyone say - oh look at those reflections. It simply disappeared with an image on the screen. So for us...not an issue. The set looks - for what we want - great and we are very pleased with the aesthetics. My SO - calls it "sexy" looking:0 Hmmmmm...Now I understand the competition

Remote
I rarley like remotes and this one is so so. It is backlit, and is easy to see. The buttons are more or less laid out okay. But one of the key buttons - which are the av modes - is buried under the slider. For the life of me I cannot imagine what Sharp was thinking in doing this. And the modes can ONLY be accessed this way as there is no setting on the menu system to bring it up. YUCK!!! Well - I have way too many devices to use this remote and will program my Harmony in the next day or so.

Manual
What can one say - it S****Ks. Let me give you a for instance...the PC stuff is ALL wrong. How about another - has instructions for putting the stand to gether and attaching to the display. Walks you through them step by step - inclduing how to attach it to your TV. A page later describes how to get the TV outta the box....Kinda like mixing the recipe for your cake after you put the pan in the oven.

It misses features - which you find by trial and error on the set - is blatantly wrong in several places, is laid in such a way that what you are looking for - how about what those menu items do - are pages removed from each other and just is about as useless as any manual I have ever encountered.

Sharp Menu Settings/Picture/Setup Etc
While pleasing to the eye - the layout of the menu is about as bad as the manual. There seems little rhyme or reason to why certain things are placed where they are. And I really think if you have buttons on the remote that do things - there ought to be an equivalent way to access it from the menu system. Why things are grayed out and when they work or don't is simply not explained anywhere. Oh...yeah...occasionally in the manual and then it is WRONG. I have not found all the different ways to tweak the set or dial it in - 'cause I am still trying to figure out what all the menu items do, remote buttons do and how they interact.

Im my mind this really is a serious oversight as those less versed in AV stuff are gonna find it difficult if not impossible to figure out why their TV does/doesnt work a certain way.

That said there are some really neat functions I am glad are there. Like being able to position the image on the display from apparently any source. Ability to remember and display the appropriate stretch/dot by dot etc mode dependent upon detected source. Setting the HDMI color space. Those are just a few I have found and used and will certainly be going through the rest with a fine tooth comb - as Sharp didn't bother spending much time with assisting you in how this set works!

Just thought I would give my impressions on some of the more mundane elements...

Therese
10/07/06, 10:01PM

Picture Settings or Tweakability or Whatever you want to call it!

There are the typical settings most would expect - basic color/hue sharpness whatever. While there is nothing labelled gamma - I assume the "black" enhancement feature is the Sharp equivalent of some course grained gamma control. There is a "white" control - that works more like your typical color space control - such as cinema etc. Though it has 5 settings versus the usual 3. Then you have your noise reduction, quick shoot and sharp controls. As already mentioned there are also mode controls that have a couple of other enhancements that turn on and off that are not accessible anywhere else.

Additionally - depending upon input and upon signal detection (480i versus 1080i or 1080p) there are different behaviors of the controls and what is accessible.

And there are also severla "auto" type controls such OPC which apprently is some type of automatic backlight sensor with various gradiant sliders.

I mention these various methods of configuration - because they have a direct impact on setting balck levels/contrast and ultimately getting a well calibrated picture dialed in with the right colors.

I spent all of about 30 minutes with DVE/AVIA before deciding I would do this when thats all I was solely doing. Each of these interact differently per input and within each other.

I am still of the opinion that the black levels on this set are very good. They certainly approach my panny and absence of dithering and other artifacting provide for some very clean pQ in setting the appropriate black levels. However, tweaking or changing the input, changing the backlight or just about any control throws this off. It does not appear to be a "set it and forget it' type of implementation. I spent the most time dialing in my HD DVD HDMI input. However, since i am using a HDMI switcher - what works well for 1080i film is not exactly the same for 1080i video. (Using the switcher they are using one of the 2 HDMI inputs on the set) hence per input memory does me no good. The mode method seems to work - until the set autodetects 480i and then suddenly my PQ changes.

So the long and short of this is that while I can dial in one source on one mode for one thing...and get it pretty good - doing this across all of my sources and understanding how the Sharp works - is not a 1 hour task...at least for me.

The infamous "red push" which is what you see at BB - can be gotten rid of in about 5 minutes - once you know how and where - but only for the input/source/mode you are in. Then you need to go back and work it again. Not undoable - just tedious.

I am very pleased with the black levels, and yes there are very comperable to my Panny plasma. I also am pleased with the color. I am not pleased with the coarse grained controls that have little explanation or none in some cases and having to do this by trial and error.

I guess there is a bright side to the minimalistic lack of inputs - your only gonna do this at most 4 times * 6 modes * the auto features

I am beginning to understand why there has been such varied reports of the PQ. Depending upon the source - the type of signal, which input, and a host of other variables...the PQ can indeed be that varied.

The out of the box settings do not even begin to do justice for this set and that is a shame...it is yet another one of those displays where tweaking will be necessary to bring it to the level that most of us want it to be at.

And why Sharp - since you decided to give us these plethora of settings - did you not include a basic gamma and RGB controls. This would have been so MUCH easier....

Just my rant

Therese
10/07/07, 11:32PM:

My Pics did not come out that well..... Guess I was too focused on what I was doing and not camera skills

But here's a few with out of the box settings - no real tweaking...

At about 175 degree's..

off angle completely

1080p over HDMI with 1:1 no overscan

1080p

Therese
10/07/06, 11:32PM:

A couple more and will try and take better ones tomorrrow

Basbeall Fox
720p

SD 4:3
Poker SD 4:3

SD Using Smart Stretch
SD Smart Stretch

Therese
10/08/06, "after midnight":

Well I have not seen the Sharp 46" - but certainly comparing it to the other 46"er's - go bigger. My Family was measuring for a 65" late this afternoon - something about yea,,, the set was nice...but we could go bigger We are sitting about 7-8 ft back...

Not gonna happen in the gameroom!
Quote:

Originally Posted by richard korsgren
Just wondering..if you have your Panny EDTV in same room/area so you can A and B the 2 displays? Most encouraging when you say SD is as good as seen on the 480p display. That means, then, it is equally good on DVDs....I would guess the Sharp is brighter with more brilliant colors than the Panny. Correct?

Yup - You are correct. Did a bit a/bing back and forth. About the only Panny winner today for the sources I used was the moviebeam box. We all felt it was better on the "smaller" screen. It looked very soft on the 52" 1080p. Of course that could simply be they were used to HD and HD DVD at that point

The surprise was SD TV. Honestly the smart stretch on the Sharp is really really good for decent SD stations. this really won everyone over...The Panny is now in its final resting place - my bedroom Where hopefuuly it will give me many more years of service!

Therese
adorablerocket's UNOFFICIAL SHARP D62U "BANDING" FAQ (ADDED 11/30/06)

1. What is banding?

Banding is name for a defect that occurs on *some* of Sharp's d62u LCD TVs.
In the AVS forum this defect has been reported on 42, 46 and 52 size TVs.

Banding is best described as stripes or bands of reduced brightness a few inches wide running across the display. These bands can run horizontally or vertically.

The bands range from very severe in some sets to quite subtle and may not be visible under most viewing circumstances. In general bands will be most notable when viewing a solid grey image.

Obviously a flat grey box is not something most people watch on their TVs. However the more an image resembles a flat grey field, the more it will display this defect if present. Slowly moving images of low contrast and saturation, such as may be found when playing some video games (for example turning around slowly in a room made of concrete) or watching some movies (for example in Master and Commander when the camera is focused on the subtle outline of a ship appearing through grey fog) will display the bands. Depending on the severity of the banding present on any given TV, more common images (for example a blank wall behind an actor) may also display the banding.

Generally if the banding is visible during normal use, viewers have found the banding to be an unacceptable defect of the TV. On the other hand viewers with sets that do display banding under the grey screen test' described above, or on occasional scenes, have said that the banding is livable, though many expect a repair or replacement from Sharp. Of course many other viewers have reported no banding or defects at all on their TVs.

You can search the thread for photos posted by people for whom the banding is clearly visible on a test screen.

Banding as used with regards to this defect, should not be confused with a common term of the art known as "color banding" or usually "banding" for short. Color banding occurs when an image with a smooth gradient from one color to another, or from dark to light is down sampled to a lower color resolution resulting in visible bands of color. The fix for color banding is dithering or displaying at higher color depths. It has nothing to do with banding in this context, though on compressed images, videos and videos games color banding could look occasionally very similar to this "banding" problem.

2. Does it happen to every set?

No.

There is a poll on this forum where owners can report whether they have banding. Please not this is not a statistically relevant sample, or even a representative sampling. By the nature of the setup, folks with problems are more likely to respond and even seek out this forum to begin with.

3. How common is banding?

We can't really tell. Sharp has made no announcements about it and evidence from stores is anecdotal at best. Short of a leak of confidential information from inside Sharp it is unlikely that we will ever know the actual magnitude of the problem.

Given the volume of posts on this issue it's a safe guess to say that this problem is more common among the Sharp d62u line than some of the similar problems reported among owners of Sony and Samsung LCDs of similar sizes. It is however a guess.

There is a poll on this forum where owners can report whether they have banding. Please not this is not a statistically relevant sample, or even a representative sampling. By the nature of the setup, folks with problems are more likely to respond and even seek out this forum to begin with.

4. How bad is it?

It depends on the set.

There appears to be no relationship between TV size and severity of banding.

There appears to be no relationship between serial number and *severity* of banding, although there has been some speculation that higher serial numbered sets are less *likely* to exhibit banding.

5. Yes, but how bad of a problem is banding if a set has it?

It depends on the set.

The bands range from very severe in some sets to quite subtle and may not be visible under most viewing circumstances. In general bands will be most notable when viewing a solid grey image.

Obviously a flat grey box is not something most people watch on their TVs. However the more an image resembles a flat grey field, the more it will display this defect if present. Slowly moving images of low contrast and saturation, such as may be found when playing some video games (for example turning around slowly in a room made of concrete) or watching some movies (for example in Master and Commander when the camera is focused on the subtle outline of a ship appearing through grey fog) will display the bands. Depending on the severity of the banding present on any given TV, more common images (for example a blank wall behind an actor) may also display the banding.

Generally if the banding is visible during normal use, viewers have found the banding to be an unacceptable defect of the TV. On the other hand viewers with sets that do display banding under the grey screen test' described above, or on occasional scenes, have said that the banding is livable, though many expect a repair or replacement from Sharp. Of course many other viewers have reported no banding or defects at all on their TVs.

6. What about sizes? Does it affect every size?

7. Can I tell if a set will have banding by checking the Serial number?

No.

There appears to be no relationship between serial number and *severity* of banding, although there has been some speculation that higher serial numbered sets are less *likely* to exhibit banding.

Serial numbers beginning with 610 have had banding, but also have sets that are perfect.

Serial numbers beginning with 611 have been claimed to have no reports of banding as of this time. This claim is unverified by the author of this FAQ. However even if true, that is no guarantee that a 611 set will not have banding.

8. How do I know if I have banding?

If the banding is not visible during casual viewing (which is likely the case) you will have to display an image on the screen to test.

The two easiest ways to do this are:
a. Display a flat grey image on the screen using a computer. That's what I did to verify my set was fine. I drew a flat grey box in Power Point, hooked up the computer via HDMI, and filled the screen with the box.
b. Open the service menu on the TV which has a flat grey test screen. WARNING. Screwing around in the service menu can damage your TV, so be careful! Accessing the menu will may void your warranty. Screwing around accidentally in it may damage your set. I do not recommend testing your set this way (although it is much more convenient than hooking up a PC to it).

Once you have a flat grey screen up, sit at your normal viewing distance and height and check to see if it is even or if there are any bands or other defects.

If the bands are subtle in a completely grey screen they will likely be invisible during normal viewing.

Also note that your eye is not a fixed instrument. Each light receptive cell in your eyeball changes it's light sensitivity based on what it's seeing. If you stare for a little bit at a flat grey screen your eye will start adjusting and as it moves around looking for bands you may see after images of the horizontal and vertical frames of the TV set (which is much darker). What you are looking for should be fixed in position and darkness/brightness.

If you like, take a picture of your TV and upload it to this forum where members will obsessively detect potential banding in scan line artifacts and jpeg compression artifacts. Sometimes they can find real banding too. ;-)

You can search the thread for photos posted by people for whom the banding is clearly visible on a test screen.

9. How do I access the service menu?

Search this thread for instructions. Accessing the menu may void your warranty. Screwing around accidentally in it may damage your set. I do not recommend testing your set this way (although it is much more convenient than hooking up a PC to it).

10. Aieee! I have banding! What do I do?

Don't panic. Really.

You have two choices:
a. Return the set to the store you purchased it from. This should be easy of you bought it from a local retailer like BB or CC, but may be impossible if you mail ordered it. Get a new set and test it again. You will have to use your own judgment on whether you should wait for a particular serial number or when to give up on exchanging sets if you get multiple bum sets.
b. Call Sharp. 1-800-BE-SHARP. Numerous members of this forum have reported that Sharp is aware of the problem and has promised them a repair or exchange. Be prepared to take pictures of the set and email it to them.

My personal rule of thumb is don't be miserable. Make sure that any choice you make makes you happy and confident. It's a lot of money, but it's only a TV!

11. Can I fix banding in the service menu?

Nope.

12. What causes banding?

Nobody knows.

There has been speculation that the banding is part of the backlight process. There has also been speculation that it might be a defect in the LCD because it's similar to a defect found in some LCD projectors.

If I had to fanwank, I'd vote for micro misalignment on the horizontal and vertical backlight diffusers because it's supposedly a new process and it seems like it would account for horizontal and vertical banding. Frankly though I'd much rather speculate pointlessly about whether the new Battlestar Galactica destroyed 3 or 4 Cylon Basestars in the Battle of New Caprica. The recorded evidence in both cases is just as definitive and our conclusions will have exactly the same impact.

13. What other problems might my set have?

There have been some reports of screen smudges, image mirroring, and poor viewing angle. In theory your TV could blow up, catch on fire, or just refuse to turn on.

My TV refused to turn on right after I first hooked it up. Honest. I had however forgotten to plug it in since I was carefully following the printed instructions and connecting every other cable before power.

This is the banding FAQ, you'll have to search the thread for other issues.

14. What about viewing angle problems?

I have the impression that poor viewing angle is related to banding problems. This is my impression from one read through of the entire thread. It is not reported nearly as commonly as the banding.

If you feel you have a poor viewing angle I suggest you check for banding.

15. How about settings what setting should I use on my TV?

I don't know. This is a FAQ for banding. Banding is such a hot topic a separate thread has been created to talk about settings and that got filled with banding chatter as well!

16. What is Sharp going to do?

Numerous members of this forum have reported that Sharp is aware of the problem and has promised them a repair or exchange.

Several board members have reported that Sharp has exchanged their sets. Unfortunately it appears that some of the exchanged sets also exhibited banding.

Others have reported that Sharp is starting a new screening process and will begin exchanging sets once holiday supplies to their distribution channels are filled.

17. Sharp should make an announcement, apologize! Someone should commit Hari-Kari!

Not likely.

Sharp is responding to individuals. If you have a problem you should contact them. If you sell the sets you should get better informed than by just reading this FAQ and probably also contact them.

Quality control problems happen. I've been to numerous assembly lines in my life, including Sharp's Nara facility for cellphones. The plants in Japan are not exclusively filled with earnest young samurai/monks in white bunny suits, and plants in Mexico are not filled with dirty children running barefoot on dirt floors. You see the same kinds of folks in all manufacturing jobs around the planet. Quality control is a process not a racial characteristic.

Somebody may get fired, or more likely their performance review will not be as stellar. You will never hear about it or get any kind of personal satisfaction or vindication of any outrage you may have.

If you have a problem Sharp will deal with you and you will have to be the judge of how satisfied you are with that treatment.

18. I hear Sharp is screwing their customers, can we start a lawsuit?

From all reports Sharp is responding to all complaints. Numerous members of this forum have reported that Sharp is aware of the problem and has promised them a repair or exchange.

Apparently everyone with a defective TV is being promised a solution, though not necessarily as quickly they would like.

The definition of screwing the customer is somewhat hazy an open to interpretation.

I personally would be unhappy to have paid a premium for a fancy new TV only to find it had quality control problems. However this is the real world and in the real world, bad things happen. Sharp would be smart to compensate customers who have suffered from these problems in some way, but that's a customer care, brand loyalty based opinion.

With regards to their legal obligations in selling the sets or dealing with customers who purchased the sets you'll have to ask a lawyer. If you ask around on this forum, I'm sure you'll find lots of wannabes.

19. What about the AVS layer? Is it applied to these LCDs? Does it affect banding?

Originally posted by lorenzow:

The AVS layer is actually applied after manufacturing. It is a virtual layer that sits between the TV and the back of the chair. It comes into effect after visiting the AV Science forum. It causes visual distortion and hallucinations followed by extreme anxiety, obsessive compulsive behavior (endless peering at gray screens), paranoia and feelings of persecution. It is sometimes resolved by returning the TV but often leads to Post Traumatic Stress Disorder which causes the sufferer to return to AVS long after return of the TV to demand retribution from Sharp and insisting that everyone must install the AVS layer.

20. Should I buy one of these sets?

The big question!

Well it's up to you. Hopefully now you're oriented on the banding issue, though to be informed you should not just rely on what one newbie posts as a half assed FAQ but read up for yourself.

That being said, most of what is posted is alarmist and in my personal opinion will not tell you much more. I personally was paralyzed by fear from reading too much on this forum! Worse, instead of looking forward to getting a TV, I was miserable and filled with anxiety.

Now that is just silly! It's only a TV. We're dealing with reputable retailers and manufacturers. You're not going to be dumping the purchase price for a piece of inert and useless plastic. The question whether you'll have to deal with any hassle of returns or Sharp service.

Since the TV is my birthday present, my wife ran out of patience with me and basically said, Get what you want, and if there's any problems, lets get it from a store that will let you return for an exchange.

That was good enough for me. The choice is yours, but whatever you do, so something that makes you happy, don't just spend hours in anxiety reading the internet. Do something that gets you onto enjoying life, whether it's an HDTV from another manufacturer or playing ball in the park!

My 2c.

21. What about abbreviations? What is QC? OPC? CC? BB? RTFM?

QC is Quality Control.
OPC is a Sharp feature for adjusting backlight based on ambient light.
CC and BB refer to Circuit City and Best Buy.
Other acronyms you're on your own though a search of the forums or the internet usually gives quick results.

22. You keep telling us to search the thread instead of answering questions! How do I do that?

At the top message listing you will find a menu on the hand side of the page labeled Search this Thread. Its kind of hard to see among all the visual clutter of the page.

23. Who wrote this? Who are you? Why did you bother? Are you always this testy?

My name on this board is adorablerocket, and generally most folks who know me believe that's apt. I work in computer graphics, so I am visually anal retentive, but really a TV and HDTV newbie. I wrote this because I wish I had a FAQ like this when I bought my TV and I got annoyed by folks posting the same question instead of reading or searching the thread.

This is not test. You don't want to see me testy.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12251 Old 10-08-2006, 12:05 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Wow! Dad1153. Guess I can't add much more at this point

Thanks for starting the new Sharp thread!!!

More pics and testing tomorrow...

Therese
post #3 of 12251 Old 10-08-2006, 12:10 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 161
Therese, you have done us such a favor with your hands-on research over the past few months that your wisdon deserves to be immortalized rather than lost in one of AVS Forum's legendary miles-long threads. And this coming from someone that doesn't even think he will end up buying the Sharp D62U (why, oh why, didn't Sharp include any PIP features? ) but is keeping it in his mind as we approach the end of the line for 2006.
post #4 of 12251 Old 10-08-2006, 12:54 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Thank you to Therese and others who have posted thier reviews/pics on these new Sharp's. Really doubt i'll wait for the 92u's now, this series already seems to be a winner.
post #5 of 12251 Old 10-08-2006, 01:59 AM
Advanced Member

Thanks for your reviews and testing Therese as if I needed more convincing.

As suggested by dad1153 here are of my pix taken in Central Park NYC. Sharp was a sponsor of the Tokyo / New York music festival and had some sets on display. Most are pictures of the 46/52

These are other shots from another show

Enjoy!

sorry , took the site down.
post #6 of 12251 Old 10-08-2006, 03:40 AM

Haha, that last pic cracks me up. The guy's entire face lies on the BR side and his mate's are just as blurry on either. Also, if this will be the new thread for the 1080's...how will the 42" compare to the older 37" LC-37D40U? I'm thinking the 37's a bit too small in the living room and a 42" would be perfect. As long as the IQ doesn't go down, I'd be good. (coming from a 27" trinitron from 98)

Thanks!
post #7 of 12251 Old 10-08-2006, 04:51 AM

So who here is from Toronto and if so, any luck finding the D62s yet? I know Bay Bloor Radio has them. The Best Buy and Future Shop in East York (Laird/Eglinton) near where I live are totally clueless....
post #8 of 12251 Old 10-08-2006, 05:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked: 122
Quote:
Originally Posted by jodiuh View Post

Haha, that last pic cracks me up. The guy's entire face lies on the BR side and his mate's are just as blurry on either. Also, if this will be the new thread for the 1080's...how will the 42" compare to the older 37" LC-40C37U? I'm thinking the 37's a bit too small in the living room and a 42" would be perfect. As long as the IQ doesn't go down, I'd be good. (coming from a 27" trinitron from 98)

Thanks!

Even a 42" is not all that large for a living room especially with a native 1080P Display - the 46"/52" are products from the same new Sharp Plant while the 42" I believe is a subcontract to Chei Mei perhaps with Sharp Glass I believe. Your eyes will adjust to the larger size within a week or so and the 42" will become kind of small for HT IMO I'm going a minimum of 52" from an 8.5' and I know it works as I already own the 45' Sharp. Therese has attested they may be measuring for a future 65" and she has the 52" - my plan exactly is the 65" with the next gen Sharp 65".

Do not judge or plan your viewing by your 4:3 CRT a 16:9 with lots of HD and sports will blow you away on a larger panel and I get zero noise in my home like you may see in the store - the store display falsely produce noise and macro - I have none except with occasional HD hiccups which is source not TV related.

You will go from watching events on a CRT to EXPERIENCING THEM on this TV - Everything in HD will make your viewing new and WoWriffic something I've never seen a CRT DV accomplish - I had a 36" CRT Sony and it was a great tv to watch but it never WoWed me like these panels - sports are like 180 degree difference as if you now have the best seat in the house. Good Luck!

Samsung 65F8000, 60D8000, 40HU6350, Panasonic 50E60 LCD's
post #9 of 12251 Old 10-08-2006, 05:48 AM

Sorry, I should have been more detaild. I had a 32" Vizio LCD for about a month. It was definitely too small and the blacks just kinda faded in with everything else. Next, I went with the Samsung HL-S4666W DLP. It had a much better picture, but the much feared "screen door/silk screen" effect came "sparkling" down on my parade. The set generally felt too big so, last week, the Sharp LC-37D40U proved SDE and crappy blacks can be avoided! (truthfully, I'd never spent so much on a TV and thought the Vizio @ 1K would have been PLENTY fine...it was not, hehe)

At the rec of another forum goer, the Zenith Silver Sensor gave me about 88% signal strength to watch a football game last Sunday. *there are no words, so I'll describe my experience*

3 oclock - turned on tv
3:01 - found a game
4:30 - Hmmm...time must have skipped an hour here...

Then some shows came on and the HD bug pretty much did me in for the night. So basically, I'm perfectly happy with the IQ of the Sharp and it's not really that small. But I think a 42" would be a better fit. So with that in mind...

Was the LC-37D40U a Sharp-made panel? Was it made where the 42" will be? Or did it come from the nice new plant?

Thanks again!!
post #10 of 12251 Old 10-08-2006, 05:58 AM

Therese, have you posted your settings yet? I'm curious how your set is configured. Also, have you tried turning OPC on?

Here are my uncalibrated yet watchable settings (46D62U) that I used to watch Comcast via my TiVo series 3:

Dynamic preset
OPC: off
backlight: +12
contrast: +28
brightness: 0
color: -13
tint: 0
sharpness: 0
color temp: middle
black: on
fine motion: off

I'm sure others have spent some time calibrating and have come up with something better. If so, let us know.

-Aaron
post #11 of 12251 Old 10-08-2006, 06:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Just would like to thank everyone for your comments and opinions up to this point. Special thanks your way, Therese. You have provided us all an important service. Just remember, everyone..there seems to be 3 really good 1080p lcd sets on the market..Sharp, Samsung, and Sony (and several others) . If you are buying (or just looking) go and try to see them all..in different locations. Most places will let you play with the remote control. Do so and get the pictures looking as good as possible. This will also do the store a favor. As you may know, I have had a 480p Panny for several years and it looks, today, as good as the day I bought it. You can buy this set today for around $1300. and it remains a fine display..great for DVDS and SD content. And, take my word, it is much better on HD content than the numbers would indicate. It seems today, the big value for 1080p sets lie with the lcds. The 50" by Samsung and the 52" display by Sharp can be had for less than $4000 delivered with some shopping around. The Sony 46 inch display is, also, under $4000. The Panasonic 50" commercial plasma is excellent and sells for $$2700 delivered. Remember, at this point in time, both the
720p/1080i displays and the newer 1080p sets will appear 'about the same' with the normal HD content we view in our homes. The 1080p displays will move ahead in image quality when you are viewing HD content on newest HD dvd players. If you are a new buyer, take a look at the Panny and Pioneer (and others) in plasma. It is up to you..which to buy..lcd or plasma. They are, now, very close in overall quality. Take your time and view them all. It is truly an exciting time to be in the market to purchase a new tv. Enjoy.

And, please forgive me for getting off the subject of the new Sharp lcd. So far, it seems to be a very fine set and be sure to include it when viewing all the new sets out there. And, stayed tuned here, for many updates on this these new Sharps over the coming weeks.

Again, thank you, Therese. You are doing all of us (and Sharp) a big service. We do appreciate it.
post #12 of 12251 Old 10-08-2006, 06:46 AM
GTZ

Liked: 12
Yeah, thanks for starting this thread! Reading Thereses' observations and reviews is alot easier now. I can't imagine how a person can buy this new Sharp, play with it, and still have time to keep us so well informed, that's dedication! And thanks to Shinraven for posting those pics.

I'm anxiously awaiting the call that my 46D62U I pre-ordered a few weeks ago is in and ready to pickup. Coming from a '99 Tosh 36" CRT hopefully I'm going to love it and not have to worry about returning it.

Therese, you stated, " The infamous "red push" which is what you see at BB - can be gotten rid of in about 5 minutes - once you know how and where - but only for the input/source/mode you are in. Then you need to go back and work it again. Not undoable - just tedious." Can you enlighten us - how and where?
post #13 of 12251 Old 10-08-2006, 07:03 AM
AVS Special Member

I fault Sharp (and other manufacturers) for giving us great images on the tv screen but, on the other hand, making it very difficult (if not impossible) for the average person to dial in a near perfect picture. Many people that buy one of these new Sharp displays will never get this great picture. On these new sets there should be one button an owner can push to give him a very good to excellent picture. Now, all the controls should still be there for a person, who wants to work at it, can dial in a more excellent image. It should be made easy for the average owner to get a very good picture without working at it. As it can be dialed out in a small amount of time, why should the 'red push' even be there in the beginning when a person first turns on his brand new set? As these sets can better and more complicated, it must also, at the other end, be made easy for a owner to get a very good picture without having to try all that hard.
post #14 of 12251 Old 10-08-2006, 07:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Therese. Just watching ESPN from their studios and it is a great picture, even on my Panny 480p set. the colors are very natural and pleasing to the eye. And at 12 feet plus, the HD sharpness even appears on this EDTV set. How does this scene look on your Sharp compared with the same scene on the Panny?
post #15 of 12251 Old 10-08-2006, 07:20 AM
Advanced Member

good thread. Thank you Therese...I think your comments are very much appreciated.
I will strongly consider this sharp based upon your keen observations and commentatry. The fact that you say this display bests the almighty Panasonic plasma in all but 480p content is the sealer for me. Ive always considered the panasonic plasmas to be one of the elite displays out there so this is exciting news for sure. The one thing I really love about the Sharp lcd(I currently own a 45") is he fact that windows and daylight have NO effect at all on the display. I bought an A2000 and the glare is somewhat bothersome --nowhere near plasma or crt but still not on the level with the LCD. Good work again Therese ...
Could we get some pics of some shadow detail ?
post #16 of 12251 Old 10-08-2006, 07:32 AM

I understand that settings will vary from person to person based on personal preference (every time I visit my brother and watch something on his 47" Sony RPTV I'm tempted to reach for the remote and tweak his settings - they look absolutely horrid to me!), but why wouldn't Sharp and the others at least have one preset setting that is close to a 'proper' picture? At least then, it wouldn't be such a huge task to tweak the settings to get the picture 'just right' for the individuals taste. Also, for those too timid or not inclined to tweak all, at least they would benefit from watching a picture that is 95% or better out of the box.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForzaItalia View Post

So who here is from Toronto and if so, any luck finding the D62s yet? I know Bay Bloor Radio has them. The Best Buy and Future Shop in East York (Laird/Eglinton) near where I live are totally clueless....

My contact at BB/FS assures me that most locations will be taking deliveries within the next 2 weeks and that they will be on display shortly after (before the end of the month I imagine). I also checked with Telecity Brampton and they also told me in about 2 weeks time.

P.S A huge THANK-YOU!!! to Therese & Shinraven for all their valuable info and to dad1153 for taking the time to start this thread. You guys are awesome!
post #17 of 12251 Old 10-08-2006, 07:44 AM

Yeah, a POKER fanatic's dream come true! Stretch mode looks great, but "The Grinder" does look he's put on a bit of weight in the picture.

Thanks Therese! I am concerned that you're having to adjust PQ settings for certain input changes. Please let us know how you end up resolving this.

I still haven't quite given up on the Sammy or Sony 52", but the Sharp is #1 at this point. At least we've got choices...
post #18 of 12251 Old 10-08-2006, 08:27 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jodiuh View Post

Sorry, I should have been more detaild. I had a 32" Vizio LCD for about a month. It was definitely too small and the blacks just kinda faded in with everything else. Next, I went with the Samsung HL-S4666W DLP. It had a much better picture, but the much feared "screen door/silk screen" effect came "sparkling" down on my parade. The set generally felt too big so, last week, the Sharp LC-37D40U proved SDE and crappy blacks can be avoided! (truthfully, I'd never spent so much on a TV and thought the Vizio @ 1K would have been PLENTY fine...it was not, hehe)

At the rec of another forum goer, the Zenith Silver Sensor gave me about 88% signal strength to watch a football game last Sunday. *there are no words, so I'll describe my experience*

3 oclock - turned on tv
3:01 - found a game
4:30 - Hmmm...time must have skipped an hour here...

Then some shows came on and the HD bug pretty much did me in for the night. So basically, I'm perfectly happy with the IQ of the Sharp and it's not really that small. But I think a 42" would be a better fit. So with that in mind...

Was the LC-37D40U a Sharp-made panel? Was it made where the 42" will be? Or did it come from the nice new plant?

Thanks again!!

I woul dgo for the 46" versus the 42". As westa said - my family has quickly gotten use to the size and thinks the next set (in the media room) should be a 65". They also think a 65 would have worked where we have this one. I think not

Therese
post #19 of 12251 Old 10-08-2006, 08:32 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by as6o View Post

Therese, have you posted your settings yet? I'm curious how your set is configured. Also, have you tried turning OPC on?

Here are my uncalibrated yet watchable settings (46D62U) that I used to watch Comcast via my TiVo series 3:

Dynamic preset
OPC: off
backlight: +12
contrast: +28
brightness: 0
color: -13
tint: 0
sharpness: 0
color temp: middle
black: on
fine motion: off

I'm sure others have spent some time calibrating and have come up with something better. If so, let us know.

-Aaron

Not yet Aaron - which mode are you using these settings in? Is this for HDMI and auto? Mine are all over the map depending upon mode/source/input and auto. Have not settled on any one yet. Your color looks kinda low - when I turn mine down in standard - i lose greens....also I found that the black on looks great for some material and crushes blacks with others. Seems if there is a dark movie like COR or LOTR with alot of detail - this setting actually looks quite good with the backlight all the way down. With 480i material - blacks get crushed all too H**ll...Have hours of playing before I feel I may have a "postable" set of settings..

Therese
post #20 of 12251 Old 10-08-2006, 08:35 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by richard korsgren View Post

Just would like to thank everyone for your comments and opinions up to this point. Special thanks your way, Therese. You have provided us all an important service. Just remember, everyone..there seems to be 3 really good 1080p lcd sets on the market..Sharp, Samsung, and Sony (and several others) . If you are buying (or just looking) go and try to see them all..in different locations. Most places will let you play with the remote control. Do so and get the pictures looking as good as possible. This will also do the store a favor. As you may know, I have had a 480p Panny for several years and it looks, today, as good as the day I bought it. You can buy this set today for around $1300. and it remains a fine display..great for DVDS and SD content. And, take my word, it is much better on HD content than the numbers would indicate. It seems today, the big value for 1080p sets lie with the lcds. The 50" by Samsung and the 52" display by Sharp can be had for less than $4000 delivered with some shopping around. The Sony 46 inch display is, also, under $4000. The Panasonic 50" commercial plasma is excellent and sells for $$2700 delivered. Remember, at this point in time, both the
720p/1080i displays and the newer 1080p sets will appear 'about the same' with the normal HD content we view in our homes. The 1080p displays will move ahead in image quality when you are viewing HD content on newest HD dvd players. If you are a new buyer, take a look at the Panny and Pioneer (and others) in plasma. It is up to you..which to buy..lcd or plasma. They are, now, very close in overall quality. Take your time and view them all. It is truly an exciting time to be in the market to purchase a new tv. Enjoy.

And, please forgive me for getting off the subject of the new Sharp lcd. So far, it seems to be a very fine set and be sure to include it when viewing all the new sets out there. And, stayed tuned here, for many updates on this these new Sharps over the coming weeks.

Again, thank you, Therese. You are doing all of us (and Sharp) a big service. We do appreciate it.

Great post Richard!

There really are some great choices right now and anyone in the market should check them out. Figure out what features/size and what type of viewing you will be doing - also take into consideration your environment and viewing distance. Once you factor in the "external" factors you really can zone in on one or two sets and then it is just figure out which one is the most pleasing to you and your pocketbook

Therese
post #21 of 12251 Old 10-08-2006, 08:39 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTZ View Post

Yeah, thanks for starting this thread! Reading Thereses' observations and reviews is alot easier now. I can't imagine how a person can buy this new Sharp, play with it, and still have time to keep us so well informed, that's dedication! And thanks to Shinraven for posting those pics.

I'm anxiously awaiting the call that my 46D62U I pre-ordered a few weeks ago is in and ready to pickup. Coming from a '99 Tosh 36" CRT hopefully I'm going to love it and not have to worry about returning it.

Therese, you stated, " The infamous "red push" which is what you see at BB - can be gotten rid of in about 5 minutes - once you know how and where - but only for the input/source/mode you are in. Then you need to go back and work it again. Not undoable - just tedious." Can you enlighten us - how and where?

It actually is different for HDMI versus coax versus...well you get the pciture. Safe to say - turn white to med high or high, turn black on, use standard if you can, take the color to -5..-8 and hue/tint to a -4 or so. Make sure noise reduction, sharpness set to 0,and quick shoot or whatever is off.

This not the "best " setting for contrast and detail - and it depends upon way too many other factors as the above will crusk black levels for SD 480i...But its a quick wat to pretty much eliminate the red push. On the coax feed you may need to dial the color down even a bit more. On an HDMI feed that is just about right.

Therese
post #22 of 12251 Old 10-08-2006, 08:47 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Therese. Just watching ESPN from their studios and it is a great picture, even on my Panny 480p set. the colors are very natural and pleasing to the eye. And at 12 feet plus, the HD sharpness even appears on this EDTV set. How does this scene look on your Sharp compared with the same scene on the Panny?

You made me go look You do know I am in AZ and its an ungodly early hour here for a Sun morn?

At 7ft no contest. The Sharp blows it away. At 12ft....I would give a slight edge to the Sharp - it is bigger after all...Brightness etc are better. Remember my viewing during the day is in a room with lots of daylight. So I would have to say the Sharp wins. But it is not overwhelming at 12ft. A tad sharper detail - but the makeup etc detail is totally unable to be seen at 12ft - so you just get a sense of better color and brightness and of course size.

And I just got in trouble a I was playing with my PQ settings on my Panny - SO came downstairs and yelled at me for messing with the Panny

I have spent days and hours dialing this set in and have ISF'd settings as well...Just wanted to see if I could get it close to what I was seeing on the Sharp - but that will not work right now!

Therese
post #23 of 12251 Old 10-08-2006, 08:49 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gdog2004 View Post

good thread. Thank you Therese...I think your comments are very much appreciated.
I will strongly consider this sharp based upon your keen observations and commentatry. The fact that you say this display bests the almighty Panasonic plasma in all but 480p content is the sealer for me. Ive always considered the panasonic plasmas to be one of the elite displays out there so this is exciting news for sure. The one thing I really love about the Sharp lcd(I currently own a 45") is he fact that windows and daylight have NO effect at all on the display. I bought an A2000 and the glare is somewhat bothersome --nowhere near plasma or crt but still not on the level with the LCD. Good work again Therese ...
Could we get some pics of some shadow detail ?

I can try some more shadow detail pics this evening. But I have to admit - my TV picture taking skills are downright awful. I had not thought my photo skills were all that bad until yesterday And now I can assure you I am ashamed of them!

Therese
post #24 of 12251 Old 10-08-2006, 09:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wpwj40e View Post

You made me go look You do know I am in AZ and its an ungodly early hour here for a Sun morn?

At 7ft no contest. The Sharp blows it away. At 12ft....I would give a slight edge to the Sharp - it is bigger after all...Brightness etc are better. Remember my viewing during the day is in a room with lots of daylight. So I would have to say the Sharp wins. But it is not overwhelming at 12ft. A tad sharper detail - but the makeup etc detail is totally unable to be seen at 12ft - so you just get a sense of better color and brightness and of course size.

And I just got in trouble a I was playing with my PQ settings on my Panny - SO came downstairs and yelled at me for messing with the Panny

I have spent days and hours dialing this set in and have ISF'd settings as well...Just wanted to see if I could get it close to what I was seeing on the Sharp - but that will not work right now!

Therese

..Bottom line, as we have known, the Panny EDTV is really a classic display. The new one sells for around $1300. There is a great set for some people even today.
Also, to really see the 'betterness' in the Sharp over the Panny, we will have to view the new HD dvds. I have compared the Sony XBRs, 1080p, side by side with 720p/1080i Pannys and the picture on the screen is 'about the same' ..when showing regular HD and SD material. The 1080p tends to pull away when showing the best HD dvds. And, on the special loop (provided by Sony on their new XBRs) the new 1080p sets really begin to show their true worth.

Therese..so far..and not to pin you down..but you would rate the Sharp..overall..as good as the XBRs from Sony...Yes? I am talking only about..images on the screen...on regular HD content we get with OTA and cable and Satellite. And I do leave room for you to change your answer in the coming weeks.....I consider the picture on the Sony (with top material) about as good as any in the industry, just so you know where I am coming from. The Panny and the Pioneer (plasmas) are, also, in there as well. Of course, have not seen the new 1080p Panny displays. I have NOT seen the new Sharp 62u series as yet.
post #25 of 12251 Old 10-08-2006, 09:16 AM

If you are hanging the LCD on the wall what is the distance from the floor to the center of the TV? Just curious.

When I finished the basement I built a media wall with built in speakers and planned for the Sharp 45" last spring. Once the 62U's were announced I decided to wait. Both the 52" and 46" will fit. I made a cardboard cut out of both TVs and have held them up on the wall. Looking at the Sanus VMPL3 Black wall mount so that I can tilt the TV down a little bit.
post #26 of 12251 Old 10-08-2006, 09:33 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Therese..so far..and not to pin you down..but you would rate the Sharp..overall..as good as the XBRs from Sony...Yes? I am talking only about..images on the screen...on regular HD content we get with OTA and cable and Satellite. And I do leave room for you to change your answer in the coming weeks.....I consider the picture on the Sony (with top material) about as good as any in the industry, just so you know where I am coming from. The Panny and the Pioneer (plasmas) are, also, in there as well. Of course, have not seen the new 1080p Panny displays. I have NOT seen the new Sharp 62u series as yet.

UGH...You know I really hate these kinds of questions

I feel the Sharp is softer - by a very small margin and I do mean small...on HD 10801i material. Its almost like its "smoother" and more film like verus the digital feel. That said. I just watched a few minute of the Arctic Mission on Discovery - if there is a better feed - I don't know where This was spectacular. 3-D like - The ship was ...the ice flows...the animals...the sea - I think I might have been on the ship in another life and was viewing this through an "open window"

WOW.So...Due to the size - the better forgiveness of lesser HD and SD sources - the Smart stretch mode and even with all the shortcomings of the Sharp - I would inded take the Sharp over the SOny...And for me $$$ were not an issue.

Therese
post #27 of 12251 Old 10-08-2006, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cndavguy View Post

My contact at BB/FS assures me that most locations will be taking deliveries within the next 2 weeks and that they will be on display shortly after (before the end of the month I imagine). I also checked with Telecity Brampton and they also told me in about 2 weeks time.

Thanks a lot. It's weird how a store like BBR has it in Toronto and yet the giants like BB and FS are slower in getting them.
post #28 of 12251 Old 10-08-2006, 10:25 AM

Therese, are you planning to get a BD player that can output 1080p24 like the Sony BDP-S1 or the Pioneer BDP-HD1 when they come out?
Or a PS3 which could possibly do the same?
post #29 of 12251 Old 10-08-2006, 10:35 AM
Advanced Member

I was planning to output 1080p24 from my HTPC, which will soon contain a Blu-Ray drive...
post #30 of 12251 Old 10-08-2006, 10:40 AM
AVS Special Member

[quote=wpwj40e]UGH...You know I really hate these kinds of questions

I feel the Sharp is softer - by a very small margin and I do mean small...on HD 10801i material. Its almost like its "smoother" and more film like verus the digital feel. That said. I just watched a few minute of the Arctic Mission on Discovery - if there is a better feed - I don't know where This was spectacular. 3-D like - The ship was ...the ice flows...the animals...the sea - I think I might have been on the ship in another life and was viewing this through an "open window"

WOW.So...Due to the size - the better forgiveness of lesser HD and SD sources - the Smart stretch mode and even with all the shortcomings of the Sharp - I would inded take the Sharp over the SOny...And for me $$$ were not an issue.

Therese[/QUO

Thank you my friend. It seems as tho I am leaning toward the Sharp if I buy a lcd. Of course, there are still a couple of plasmas to consider. The Pioneer 5070 gives a great image. And, of course, the Panny commercial is a best buy. I hope to view the newest Sharp this week.
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Sharp Aquos Lc42d62u 42 Inch 1080p Lcd Hdtv
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page