SAMSUNG LN-S5296D PHOTOS,COMMENTS & REVIEWS - Page 10 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #271 of 870 Old 11-29-2006, 06:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
If you can turn off overscan that way there must be a firmware fix to do the same.

What I would need though is to kill overscan at the tuner, since I use CableCARD.
The image seems to be pretty sharp regardless, though.
It's sharp enough to see that 1080i beats 720p, hope Fox,espn,abc will eventually switch.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #272 of 870 Old 11-29-2006, 06:54 PM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by mark_1080p View Post

It's sharp enough to see that 1080i beats 720p, hope Fox,espn,abc will eventually switch.

What types of shows are you watching? I changed my cable box output from 1080i to 720p because it seemed to give off less distortion during fast-moving scenes. But I'm still experimenting...
post #273 of 870 Old 11-29-2006, 06:59 PM

post #274 of 870 Old 11-29-2006, 07:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Mainly discovery channel, MPT, INHD. The CBS 1080i football broadcasts are superior in all aspects to those of Fox and ESPN at 720p IMO.
post #275 of 870 Old 11-29-2006, 11:44 PM

I bought my first Samsung LNS5296D about two months ago when it first was released, the first thing I noticed at night was blotchy white cloudiness over the top third of the left corner, this was really annoying when watching letterbox movies and it actually distorted the colors when action played out against it. I tried everything I could to fix it, including massaging the pixels and tweaking all the settings (even trying component over HDMI), but it wouldn't go away.

I complained to Samsung, they sent out a tech and he ordered a replacement. Two weeks later I got a brand new one, and the SAME problem is still there, only now in the middle of the screen. When watching television during the day, you can never really notice it. But at night with all the lights turned out, it's painfully evident. I went down to a Best Buy to look at a floor model before I asked for a third replacement, and yep, there it is! Apparently this is normal for LCD screens? Does Sony have this problem? Sony and Samsung manufacture their LCD's from the SAME plant, so I imagine it's still an issue. I've noticed other posts in this thread about this very issue, and I don't know what to do about it, if I should try Sharp or go back to Plasma, because I find this anomaly unacceptable for a $4,000 television set.

Does anyone know what causes this, is it a manufacturing defect or is it just how LCD technology works? When I bring the brightness way down it goes a way a little, but then the rest of the picture suffers. Any insight on this issue would be appreciated, as it's obvious now (after looking at three different LN-S5296Ds) that they all have this issue in one way or the other, some people may not notice or just don't care, but rich and deep blacks without white cloudiness is a priority for me. I've seen much talk about "Service Menu Settings", if this can help would someone please give me a Service Menu Settings for Dummies tutorial as I have no idea how to even enter this menu, cheers and thanks!
post #276 of 870 Old 11-30-2006, 12:05 AM
AVS Special Member

No way to get rid of it except to use esavings on high, which dims the backlight as much as you can with this set. Going into the SM, you can go a bit lower on the backlight in the dynamic submenu, set dimming to ON.

I have a streak in the upper left corner, seems like many have this as well, I massaged it a bit with a soft cloth and I was able to smear the bright spot a bit. I think I have a good panel though since the streak is only visible with all lights out and a blank screen present. Yes, with black bars or the occasional very dark scene it shows up a little, but when I bought the set I knew I would not be watching in the dark. If I planned on dark room viewing, I would have bought a Pioneer plasma.

From what I have read, the Sharps are blacker but they are having banding problems, rather than streaking. Some say in the Sharp case it may be the backlight with a cheap diffuser but others suspect the machine that puts the plastic coating on the panel is not doing a good job. That could be the case for the Sammy as well, just getting blotches instead of bands.

These large panels are very neew and I think it will take a bit of time for the manufacturing techniques to sort it out. If its really bad, return it. In my case, its not bad enough to return it, I almost never see it, lights are always on. Plasmas rule in dark rooms.
post #277 of 870 Old 11-30-2006, 12:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristianZane View Post

... rich and deep blacks without white cloudiness is a priority for me.

Just to reiterate, given your statement here you should be watching with a Pioneer plasma, the 5071 is a beautiful set. I would buy but I watch too much 4:3 content that I do not want to stretch, and I do not like the power use of a plasma (my 5296 is using 115 watts).

Plasmas are for dark room deep black videophiles.
LCD's (and plasmas) are for the rest of us.
post #278 of 870 Old 11-30-2006, 12:25 AM

Thanks mark_1080p, I will do those two things and see if there is an improvement, massaging with the soft cloth just made it worse. I'm really torn about this because this is one of the best looking HD televisions I have ever seen for the size, I run Blu Ray movies off it and it looks astounding, but this cloudiness is just unacceptable for a television of this price, is it true that ALL LCD's will have this problem? I'm never going back to Plasma, I couldn't afford the Pioneer I wanted either.
post #279 of 870 Old 11-30-2006, 08:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Some Sharp owners without banding might have an opinion on whether the sets are viable in the dark, I have not seen one of the d62's in action in a very dark room. Hope it works out, but all LCD I have seen have blotches or "glow in the dark" at some level of brightness, question is at what level?

My bet is that in a few years we will be looking at 5-10,000 CR, really black looking sets even in pitch black rooms. Then, I'll buy another LCD .
post #280 of 870 Old 11-30-2006, 11:55 AM

Going into the service menu and turning on the dimming helped, and putting the Energy Saver setting on Medium (high was too dark for me), really did help a lot, I see at least a 50% improvement, however massaging the blotches made them look a lot worse, I'm hoping that will fade away over time as my old one did. Can you recommend any other settings in the service menu that could address this issue? Sounds like you have played with those numbers a lot and might have some good ideas, cheers.
post #281 of 870 Old 11-30-2006, 02:46 PM

Hi mark_1080p et. al.,

Raymond just pulled up in his 18-wheeler and delivered my LN-S5296D. Abt shipped it out and delivered almost immediately. Everything looked in perfect physical shape and Raymond and I discussed the awesome Carolina basketball game against Ohio State last night - I sent him off with lunch money (in case I need to call him back, please, no!) Needless to say I'm very excited.

Unfortunately I will have nothing interesting to share, much, as most of my other logistics are behind schedule and I will have no good source material for a while. Tonight I just plan to try and get it up on the stand and plug it in. Then I'll see whether it's QAM tuner can suck anything out of Time Warner without me ordering anything digital yet.

I'm thinking it will be interesting to take each little step one at a time. My understanding is that the digital subcarrier is always there in the cable, so the non-premium items should show up when you scan the channels (then, of course, CableCard will be necessary to descramble the premium stuff I order.) The TWC sales fellow I chatted with, however, said there would be a "trap" at the telephone pole until I ordered digital. What do you guys think? I thought traps were for premium analog, but I haven't searched around about it.

Best, and here's a thanks to you no matter how it turns out these first few days,
--pixelswim
post #282 of 870 Old 11-30-2006, 04:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Pixel -

Congrats, hope you have a good one !

I was able to quickly hook it up without CableCARD and receive some local HD programming (ABC, NBC, CBS, FOX), ESPN, ESPN2 (I have Comcast). After running the autoprogram, it found lots of channels but many of them are blacked out (scrambled and/or encrypted, some channels are scrambled only according to my discussions with the engineer at the head end and others at Comcast).

The mapping is haphazard, you have to use trial and error to find the channels without a CableCARD or set top box, just Coax. You should be able to find some HD programming to begin fooling around with the settings.

My advice, after all the work I have done to get the best out of it without a full scale calibration, is to do everything in Movie mode. The only thing in the Service Menu that has helped IMO is the Dynamic Dimming in the Dynamic submenu of the SM. If you do not plan on going there, I would set up in Movie mode and fiddle with the contrast and brightness.
Current settings are:

Picture:
Mode: Movie
Digital NR: on
DNIe: off (grayed out in Movie mode, not able to turn on)

Movie Mode:
Contrast 95
Brightness 50
Sharpness 50
Color 35
Tint neutral
Color Tone Warm 1

note: your brightness may vary since I set the sub-bright down from nominal. I'm not sure that ever did help or whether it simply changes the range of my brightness control.
post #283 of 870 Old 11-30-2006, 05:20 PM

I'll give that a go tonight, thanks, is that in addition to putting the Energy Savings feature on the highest setting and setting the Dynamic Dimming in the Dynamic submenu of the SM? Or is it in lieu of that?
post #284 of 870 Old 11-30-2006, 10:57 PM
AVS Special Member

CZ - not sure what you mean, if you mean sub-bright I think that's in a different submenu of the SM. See thread above for details. I did lower the sub-bright and never changed it back. More ideas are posted above as well, like gamma and CE, it's really hard to tell the effect of all the different changes.

On my set, I never take it out of esav=max, works for me, but then I've never been a fan of bright sets.
post #285 of 870 Old 12-01-2006, 06:28 AM

Mark -

It's awesome! The rest of the family was stunned (I left the size thing as a surprise.) It's not even so bad that I didn't have my HD sources ready to show it off although I would highly recommend doing that if at all possible to others in my position.

PQ Settings: As you know, I have been doing setting similar to yours when I visited the stores based on bear5k posts way back last summer. I have very similar taste and have never liked much brightness unless absolutely necessary (have been setting store machines to "energy high", turning off DNIe etc. on instinct as the very first thing, so of course I did that right away on my new set.)

Channel Finding: OK, this was really interesting, I'm going to do a seperate post about it...

Now that I've actually got the thing, I find I'm going to have a ton of questions. I'll probably figure them out by trial and error but I found I enjoyed reading accounts of this from others so I'll plan to "type in the trivialities" of some of these to you 96Ders. .....So here's the first one:

Does this set separately remember the picture settings for every channel? Or have I got some setting on that makes a dynamic decision when I go to a new channel? I felt like I was having to redo the PQ settings down from brighter default ones to my softer, darker custom ones when I changed channels but I didn't have the time or focus last night to notice whether this was channel by channel, or some grouping by resolution, or perhaps was supposed to be set for all channels at once & I was somehow resetting it when I jumped around.
post #286 of 870 Old 12-01-2006, 06:38 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 37
If its like the 46" settings it remembers the picture settings based on input, but not channel. Whenever you change to a different source, it will switch the picture mode to whatever you used last in that source.
post #287 of 870 Old 12-01-2006, 08:53 AM

What does it think of as Source? I have cable-company coax plugged in to "Ant2(Cable)" and so "Cable" could be seen as my source unit. But within "Cable" I had it autoscan for channels and it found both analog channels (which it labeled "Cable") and digital channels (which it labeled "DTV") (this is from my memory.)

Perhaps it held on to separate settings for each of these 2 within overall "Cable" source?
post #288 of 870 Old 12-01-2006, 09:12 AM

A totally amateur guess here, but since the 2 inputs are different mediums (analog and ditigal) perhaps you're getting a better picture and signal with the digital "DTV" input?
post #289 of 870 Old 12-01-2006, 09:13 AM

OK, so while I'm on this, during initial setup after you've turned the 5296 on (& I assume this would be true for all LN-Sxx9xD series Samsungs) it goes through a setup sequence. I've surmised this must be the thing documented in the manual under "Operations","Plug & Play Feature." You set the "Home vs Shop", confirm the source etc.

THEN, it's ready to select the "Cable System" and you see:
Analog STD HRC IRC
Digital STD HRC IRC

and the manual mentions you can check with cable company to find out the type of cable system that exists in your particular area.

So last night, rather than calling TWC, I just tried STD for both and let it start searching for channels (luckily I had a kid to pick up across town cause this took all night, well a long time..)

What's the difference betw std, hrc, irc? If I guessed the wrong system type would it just not work or could this affect how many channels it finds?
post #290 of 870 Old 12-01-2006, 09:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by formulaben View Post

A totally amateur guess here, but since the 2 inputs are different mediums (analog and ditigal) perhaps you're getting a better picture and signal with the digital "DTV" input?

thanks form -
Oh yes, the difference in quality was pretty obvious in most cases. The few digital ones I got were much nicer. The one HD one of our local university station was 1080i and it was awesome, reminded me almost of the watchmaker scene on the blueray demo disk in the stores.

But I'm being not very responsible here. I'll have to get some time this weekend to watch more closely and figure out what it is remembering. I didn't take notes or anything, I was just being a late-night zombie guy sitting on the couch not believing I was really getting to play with this monster in my own home!

It's just that I remember distinctly that on one of the channels, I'm pretty sure it was a non-digital SD channel, I stopped and went in and played with the zillian lighting and picture settings and got it looking much better. Then I changed to something else (might have been dtv but can't remember at all..) and noticed that it was now set to "Dynamic" which was one of the settings I had changed away from I think. Oh well, this is silly unless one of the longer term owners has it down cold and can correct us.
post #291 of 870 Old 12-01-2006, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pixelswim View Post

OK, so while I'm on this, during initial setup after you've turned the 5296 on (& I assume this would be true for all LN-Sxx9xD series Samsungs) it goes through a setup sequence. I've surmised this must be the thing documented in the manual under "Operations","Plug & Play Feature." You set the "Home vs Shop", confirm the source etc.

THEN, it's ready to select the "Cable System" and you see:
Analog STD HRC IRC
Digital STD HRC IRC

and the manual mentions you can check with cable company to find out the type of cable system that exists in your particular area.

So last night, rather than calling TWC, I just tried STD for both and let it start searching for channels (luckily I had a kid to pick up across town cause this took all night, well a long time..)

What's the difference betw std, hrc, irc? If I guessed the wrong system type would it just not work or could this affect how many channels it finds?

OK, initial search on my own question found this interesting link:

http://www.chem.hawaii.edu/uham/catvfreq.html
post #292 of 870 Old 12-01-2006, 11:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Great - you like the pic !! All else is icing.

Cool link, I don't remember what I did on setup, probably chose digital.
I would adjust pic based on digital if your source will ultimately be such.
I never did spend time on analog since I never watch analog, all channels are digital with CableCARD.

I'm sticking with Movie mode for now, since there is a slight artifacting with DNIe.
Settings do not vary with source, the four modes are the same for each source.
Sharp lets you customize each input, not so for Samsung.
Yes, the TV remembers what mode it was in when you last chose a particular source.

Will you be going into the SM? If so, don't touch the first 2 Calibration submenus.

Glad you did not have to watch that travesty last night (Ravens game), or did you .
At least the broadcast was clean, but if you love football you will have a great time with this set.
post #293 of 870 Old 12-01-2006, 11:30 AM

Yes, I will do my digital and cablecard soon. Then eventually I may even move on to STB and DVR, who knows? In the meantime, I'm sometimes a bit of a techie historian - I don't know why I find this entertaining but I do.

So I've been doing my google searches on STD IRC HRC and finding plenty of stuff. In fact a fair amount of it comes from within AVSForum. Apparently there are threads on individual local cable companies - didn't know that so will have to go looking.

It looks like if you have hours on your hands you could let the sammy do the search in each of the three cable system types and then compare what you get with each. This is at least as easy to do as trying to bump your way all the way in to an engineer at TWC who would even know the difference between incrementally and harmonically related carriers (irc vs hrc.)

The picture is getting clearer that the cable company reps and indeed most of us customers for sure don't need to bother with this because most people already have a cable box or cablecard - in fact, most people probably just go ahead and order "digital service" without first trying their QAM tuner to see what's available "for free." (Sorry to be so OT here!)

So new question, when the sammy does the channel search, why does it come up with sub-channels off of other numbers? Like 4-2, 4-3 etc.? Based on my hawaii chem link in post above, I'm thinking it may have something to do with how my particular TWC service overlays digital channels onto the cable frequencies (eg. something to do with the Lo, Mid, High, Super, Hyper stuff in the link article.)

Oh well, enough tech. Yes, I'm going to at least be watching a lot of Panthers games
post #294 of 870 Old 12-02-2006, 05:49 AM

I know mark 1080p has said that football is good on this panel. How's SD (unstretched) on this panel? I am waiting for the 52" sony, but maybe the Samsung is every bit as good? The waiting on Sony is getting annoying, as is their unfair price. Still, a Sony habit is hard to break... I'll be 8.5-12 feet back. Still getting the Pio plasma bug at times, but the huge window behind my viewing area is keeping me away -

Anyway, how about the SD (I use digital cable) on the Samsung?
post #295 of 870 Old 12-02-2006, 11:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Digital SD ranges from terrible to good, depending on the channel. Some of the worst I have seen is pillarboxed football on CBS digital. Horrible. Some looks very clean, its hit or miss.

I don't think this set compensates for lousy sources well, but give it a good source and it does a very good job.

I've said this before, its my opinion that sources will continue to improve so that this TV has a good future. I would not base a decision on which brand based on the crap channels or broadcasts. I would base the decision on how the best is handled and the many other factors such as features, CR, price, brand reliability.

Now if this thing breaks next week I'll probably be ranting all over the place, but so far my many Samsung LCD products have never failed to work in any way. Now if they just would have rounded off the d***** corners on this set .
post #296 of 870 Old 12-03-2006, 02:57 PM

Well that "cloudy" portion of the screen last night was AWFUL when watching the movie "See No Evil", this movie was very dark, and even with the Energy option turned to maximum and the dimmer turned on in the Service Mode, it looked terrible in the dark scenes, it looks like a big white cloudy blob, and when their is movement through it, it's very distracting. I had gently massaged that portion of the screen earlier to make it go away, but now it's worse. Is there a possibility this will go away a little as the weeks pass on? I just can't believe no one else isn't bothered by this, because of the three Samsung's I've seen in person, they ALL had it. Does anyone know how many replacements Samsung will give me before they say no more? I spend 4200k on this thing and this isn't acceptable. If they can't get it right will they reimburse me?
post #297 of 870 Old 12-03-2006, 04:09 PM
AVS Club Gold

Liked: 13
"Energy option maximum" means that the light is turned down to it's minimum setting.

Doing this manually will make it hard to see anything in dark scenes.

If you use the "dynamic contrast" option instead, it compensates for the dimming by brightening the non-black parts of the picture.
post #298 of 870 Old 12-03-2006, 04:47 PM

OK, here we go. I have finally transitioned into the Digital HD age with the purchase of my Sammy 5296 which I picked up from the BB warehouse (preferred to pick it up as opposed to free delivery). I would like to provide all of you with the unvideophile-like assessment of my experience.

My choices were either the Sony 52 XBR or the Sammy 5296 for my brightly lit room facing south. I went with the Sammy for several reasons...I went to ABT and performed a direct visual comparison where I found the Sony and the Sammy extremely comparable. It's one of those things where you turn your head left and right over and over again. (If you have to turn your head back and forth more than 10 times it means that the sets are pretty much equal) and you come to the conclusion that the Sony has a very slight edge (black level). So you ask yourself if the 2K+ price difference for the Sony is worth it. Not to mention that the Sammy was available, is more esthetically appealing, and has some features that the Sony doesn't.

Our viewing distance is approximately 10' feet where HD programming comes in wonderfully (especially football games, incredibly clear), while SD is acceptable or good. I don't have nearly the same concerns on a medium that is being phased out such as SD, although I believe the SD image is more of an issue if you are sitting very close to the screen.

But the thing that really made me swing toward the Sammy was reading that the Sony XBR message boards, to what they referred to as clouding. I call it light leak; since it appears that the back-lit display lamp bleeds through the screen in certain areas. The Sony and Sammy displays are built at the same factory but it seems that the Sony XBRs are experiencing much greater levels of it (Check out some of the pictures posted on the Sony XBR boards).

That was it, why pay 2K more for a TV with such a wide spread problem while Sammy boards were lacking in this type of commentary, everyone focused on expressing concern over scan of 2% issues (which I have no problem with, even when I compared to the Sony where over scan was evident on the ABT showroom floor).

Setting up the screen was problem free as expected, the picture quality as expected. No issuesexcept in the upper left I get the light bleeding through (only in this location). It's not a problem during the day because it blends with the rest of ambient room light's diffused glare. But at night it glows like Casper the friendly ghost.

The TV has everything I want in a1080p system. I am concerned that if I exchange this one, the next one will be the same or worse. Sony is not an option since they are having more serious problems with ghosting. If it wasn't for this one area (where I cannot take my eye off) during dark scenes in a dark room, this set would be perfect. What to do??? Decisions.. Decisions.

PS- have ruled out Plasma.

-Bud
Jsans2000@comcast.net

BudFox-

Samsung LN-T5265F
Denon AVR-2807
Klipsch RF52 Series 7.1
Oppo DV-981HD
Comcast 3416 STB
Harmony 880
Monster Power HTS 3500
post #299 of 870 Old 12-03-2006, 06:16 PM

Get it calibrated! Mark eluded to the fact that the ghost is all but gone completely with the adjusting of the settings.

Mark - do you know if there are service menu manuals out yet for the 96D? I am looking to determine if there is a way to modify the VGA settings for 5296D? I want to change the the hz of the input to match VGA video input versus VGA PC input. The Xbox 360 outputs Video level VGA - the samsung accepts PC grade VGA.
post #300 of 870 Old 12-03-2006, 06:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the3rdpower View Post

Get it calibrated! Mark eluded to the fact that the ghost is all but gone completely with the adjusting of the settings.

Mark - do you know if there are service menu manuals out yet for the 96D? I am looking to determine if there is a way to modify the VGA settings for 5296D? I want to change the the hz of the input to match VGA video input versus VGA PC input. The Xbox 360 outputs Video level VGA - the samsung accepts PC grade VGA.

Does getting it calibrated mean just setting the controls either through power save/brightness and contrast basically making it darker to the point that the clouding is less apparent? Yes it does help but the picture becomes unbearably dark.

BudFox-

Samsung LN-T5265F
Denon AVR-2807
Klipsch RF52 Series 7.1
Oppo DV-981HD
Comcast 3416 STB
Harmony 880
Monster Power HTS 3500
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page