Sharp Aquos LCD 2007 speculation thread: D92? TruD? HDMI 1.3? - Page 116 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #3451 of 3473 Old 03-19-2007, 10:06 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
[quote=mark_1080p]If we are not even properly deinterlacing, 1080 lines or no, why even attempt to go to 120 hz with motion interpolation? Sounds like marketing is driving all this, and cheap implementation rules the day.

There were reports of Sharp techs running around to warehouses to upgrade the D92 just before it was released. Sharp may have rushed the model out.

On another subject:
I just came back from lunch. Once a week I take a tour of the local stores here to see whats on display. This weekend 6th Ave Electronics featured the D92 in their ads. They had a D92 set up next to a Sony with Direct TV feed (Monster Garage HD Discovery). I Know the pitfalls of attempting to compare performance in stores. For one thing, one does not know what mode or feature is on or off etc. The D92 blacks were better, but the PQ was better on the Sony. Then something happened that shocked me. A commercial came on for the Discovery Space Report coming up and it showed a picture of a globe with fine dashed grid marks on it. At least on the Sony. On the D92U it was missing entirely. That's right. Not diminished, not smeared, not artifacted (if there is such a word) - Nada.Has anybody seen this? Is there a feature of the D92 that is prone to do this?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3452 of 3473 Old 03-19-2007, 11:10 AM

If you're on the wagon about purchasing one of these online due to the banding issue, here is an email Sharp sent me regarding my 'who are your authorized online resellers' question.
____________________________________________________________ ____________
Thank you for contacting Sharp Electronics Corporation.
We appreciate your interest in our state of the art High Definition LCD technology.

We do not recommend any on-line dealers who sell our LCD televisions. However, as long as you have a bill of sale or proof of purchase showing that you purchased the product brand new, the full manufacture warranty will be in effect. You would need to keep your bill of sale or proof of purchase for any warranty claims. If the product is refurbished, it will only bare a 30 day warranty on parts and labor. Please note that any cosmetic damage or damage to the LCD panel of a television are excluded from the warranty. This includes but is not limited to any damage caused in the shipment of the product to your home.

Attached you will also find our latest sales brochure for Sharp TVs.
We appreciate the opportunity to provide you with this information. If you need additional information please include all information from prior e-mail messages and replies.
post #3453 of 3473 Old 03-19-2007, 11:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
I assume you mean latitude/longitude curves. Since they would be curves in a 3-D representation of a globe how could this happen? Are you implying that the scalar essentially resampled them out of existance without residual artifacts?

I have felt that the Sony has more detail than any other set, but wiping something out completely, that does not sound good. I think you would need to check to see of both sets were fed digitally, then turn the Sharp dot by dot mode on, make sure the Sharp digital noise filter is off, etc.
post #3454 of 3473 Old 03-19-2007, 11:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by picasso1850 View Post

We do not recommend any on-line dealers who sell our LCD televisions. However, as long as you have a bill of sale or proof of purchase showing that you purchased the product brand new, the full manufacture warranty will be in effect.

Good to post this, I think you should post this in the d92 owner's thread. I have seen posts where people are stating that Sharp will not honor their warrantee if you do not buy from a Sharp authorized dealer.
post #3455 of 3473 Old 03-19-2007, 11:42 AM

Quote:

If you're on the wagon about purchasing one of these online due to the banding issue, here is an email Sharp sent me regarding my 'who are your authorized online resellers' question.
We appreciate your interest in our state of the art High Definition LCD technology.

We do not recommend any on-line dealers who sell our LCD televisions. However, as long as you have a bill of sale or proof of purchase showing that you purchased the product brand new, the full manufacture warranty will be in effect. You would need to keep your bill of sale or proof of purchase for any warranty claims. If the product is refurbished, it will only bare a 30 day warranty on parts and labor. Please note that any cosmetic damage or damage to the LCD panel of a television are excluded from the warranty. This includes but is not limited to any damage caused in the shipment of the product to your home.

We appreciate the opportunity to provide you with this information. If you need additional information please include all information from prior e-mail messages and replies.

Hey, thanks! I e-mailed sharp on this subject last week and haven't heard back from them yet. I've narrowed my choices down to bestbuyplasma.com, beyondplasma, or lcdtvs.com, or Amazon/butterflyphoto. HMMM, I guess I really havn't "narrowed" it down. LOL

Driving the wife nuts with my indecision.....
post #3456 of 3473 Old 03-19-2007, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark_1080p View Post

Good to post this, I think you should post this in the d92 owner's thread. I have seen posts where people are stating that Sharp will not honor their warrantee if you do not buy from a Sharp authorized dealer.

i thought about it but since its an 'owners thread' - i thought this may be the better place to post. Anyone that is interested in the D92 is looking at both threads so i made the 'smat' choice and posted here

P.S. - i responded back to SHARP requesting employee credentials or some proof of ownership on that in case i (or anyone else) gets burned on that in the future...

the classic bait and switch moves by CSR - I'll update as i hear back.
post #3457 of 3473 Old 03-19-2007, 01:36 PM

Quote:

P.S. - i responded back to SHARP requesting employee credentials or some proof of ownership on that in case i (or anyone else) gets burned on that in the future...

the classic bait and switch moves by CSR - I'll update as i hear back.

You might also point out that they used 'bare' instead of 'bear' when mentioning the 30 day warranty.
post #3458 of 3473 Old 03-19-2007, 02:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 18
Quote:

Problem is a lot of online retailers such as Cleveland Plasma have them drop shipped from Sharp. So you are getting it brand new from Sharp anyways. More CS smoke being blown up your.....

55HX950 l SC-1522-K l SP-PK51FS l RW12-D l XBox 360 Slim l PS3 60GB l RNG200 l P31 LIVE:BPMURR PSN:BPMURR

post #3459 of 3473 Old 03-19-2007, 02:35 PM

I bought my Sharp LCD from BestBuyPlasma.com about 2 years ago and Sharp honored a $150 rebate that I applied for about 2 months after the purchase.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabidsteelerfan View Post

Hey, thanks! I e-mailed sharp on this subject last week and haven't heard back from them yet. I've narrowed my choices down to bestbuyplasma.com, beyondplasma, or lcdtvs.com, or Amazon/butterflyphoto. HMMM, I guess I really havn't "narrowed" it down. LOL

Driving the wife nuts with my indecision.....

post #3460 of 3473 Old 03-19-2007, 03:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by icrnk View Post

I bought my Sharp LCD from BestBuyPlasma.com about 2 years ago and Sharp honored a $150 rebate that I applied for about 2 months after the purchase.

So, it sounds like a positive experience from bestbuyplasma? Sorry if this doesn't pertain to this thread, but I can NOT find the thread about online buying experiences.
post #3461 of 3473 Old 03-19-2007, 03:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpmurr View Post

Problem is a lot of online retailers such as Cleveland Plasma have them drop shipped from Sharp.

Any thoughts on Cleveland P? I may go with them ...
post #3462 of 3473 Old 03-19-2007, 04:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 18
Quote:

Any thoughts on Cleveland P? I may go with them ...

I got my set from CP and it was a smooth transaction. I would recommend them. I got my TV dropped ship from the Sharp warehouse to my door within seven business days.

55HX950 l SC-1522-K l SP-PK51FS l RW12-D l XBox 360 Slim l PS3 60GB l RNG200 l P31 LIVE:BPMURR PSN:BPMURR

post #3463 of 3473 Old 03-19-2007, 04:20 PM

Quote:

I assume you mean latitude/longitude curves. Since they would be curves in a 3-D representation of a globe how could this happen? Are you implying that the scalar essentially resampled them out of existance without residual artifacts?

I have felt that the Sony has more detail than any other set, but wiping something out completely, that does not sound good. I think you would need to check to see of both sets were fed digitally, then turn the Sharp dot by dot mode on, make sure the Sharp digital noise filter is off, etc.

I guess they were lat/long lines. Those who have the D92U should watch for that commercial and see if they can see the lines. I do know the set was in the auto backlight mode(OPC?) because there were 5 little green leaves on the bottom of the screen. The room was pretty dimly lit. Yes it looks as if the video processor processed out legitimate program material completely. That is pretty scary. Otherwise, the two pictures were much the same. Really strange. What mode is the set in right out of the box?
post #3464 of 3473 Old 03-29-2007, 08:55 PM

Liked: 12
Okay, it's been 10 days since ANYONE posted anything in this thread. I guess that means nobody gives a damn about Sharp's future? Are the rats abandoning the ship? Will Sharp manage to survive the great nothing? Is bad press better than no press?
post #3465 of 3473 Old 03-29-2007, 09:33 PM

I am holding my breath waiting for the lc-65d93u. Seems like the D92 has started running out of interesting things to say what with everything having been said twice over. Now the interested have been drowned in too much information, and are being driven away by the strident.

This drop off is probably healthy at this point. Maybe we can all take a step back and evaluate things in a calmer atmosphere over a longer period of time instead of pouncing on each piece of information and trying to use it to make a point that has been already made too many times before.

It would really surprise me if the new Sharps aren't materially better in terms of quality control than the issues apparent in the current crop, but time will tell. I can say this much: Every time I see the D92 in a store I am astonished at how good it looks. The only thing that compares (to me, at least) is the Sony. Get rid of some manufacturing problems and these two should dominate. I'll wait and see what the spring brings us, but I am not ready to condemn Sharp, or give up on them, based upon the promise that the current line up demonstrates.

Darrell

Darrell
post #3466 of 3473 Old 03-30-2007, 12:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hdtv4xmas View Post

... nobody gives a damn about Sharp's future? Are the rats abandoning the ship?

The passengers abandon ship
... while some remaining turn to blue.

Waiting, hoping and praying
... for a bandless 93u.

The rats that still remain
... they have no clue.

They've bitten into the CR cheese
... and ignore the banded hue.

Just a joke , no one is a rat, hope they (Sharp) get their act together.
For now, we swim toward the Carpathian, er ... the Sammy 5265 or 4661.
post #3467 of 3473 Old 03-30-2007, 12:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hdtv4xmas View Post

Okay, it's been 10 days since ANYONE posted anything in this thread. I guess that means nobody gives a damn about Sharp's future? Are the rats abandoning the ship? Will Sharp manage to survive the great nothing? Is bad press better than no press?

Why should we give a damn about Sharp's future? They obviously could care less about ours. The only rats left are the ones in the Kameyama II factory.
Come see the light in the Samsung thread.
post #3468 of 3473 Old 03-30-2007, 03:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 109
Quote:
Originally Posted by darrellt View Post

I am holding my breath waiting for the lc-65d93u. Every time I see the D92 in a store I am astonished at how good it looks. The only thing that compares (to me, at least) is the Sony. Get rid of some manufacturing problems and these two should dominate. I'll wait and see what the spring brings us, but I am not ready to condemn Sharp, or give up on them, based upon the promise that the current line up demonstrates.

Darrell

The problem Darrell is that many of us had the hopes and stood firm supporting Sharp in believing the D92 would have these issues resolved when transitioning from D62 as this was advertised as the Elite of Sharp and I have a terrific 57" without those flaws and damn well was committed to the D93 65". However the proof is in the pudding or pictures and the totally unacceptable number of returns and returns and the continued SAGA. This is a history Sharp has never had previously and it has run on now since OCTOBER 2006 without resolution. That is unacceptable!

There is no friggin way I'm forking over $8K for a 65" TV nor should anyone else until we see proof when in fact Samsung has proven itself with it's new panels. Too much money and too heavy of panel to screw around with swap outs on a 200lb monster boxed set. The numbers are embarassing and good thing Mike53 is no longer sharing here as I suspect he'd have no answers since this SAGA has gone on for SIX MONTHS!!! Considering Samsung has resolved these events and Sony is it's partner Sony certainly should be able to replicate that fix also as they share the same facilities and glass then Sony and Samsung forces the competitive nature to push Sharp to resolve this or one can hope.

God bless those that are owners and fortunate to have a terrific Sharp but those other half owners is simply a number that would be unacceptable in any QC process and the BS inconvenience they have had to go through and while one can applaud Sharp CS and swapouts can they not see how damaging this is to long term BRAND LOYALTY? The bread and butter to repeat customers and word of mouth sales and repeat buyers - do they not understand the Law of 250 in sales?

While I wait I have a kick ass 57" Sharp that only lacks the deeper blacks of these new babies while I wait for the 65" if defect free or the Samsung 70" LCD. Many of us Sharp loyalists stood by Sharp assuring members Sharp would be resolving these issues month after month and even transition to another gen panel and the issue simply got worse and so many of us have been made fools of for six months and that loyalty was misplaced since we've not seen a fix to the replicated imperfections that permeate this and other HD Forums. Here's to a defect free D93 but how shall we know?

Whose going to risk $8-$10K too gamble on it NOW?

Samsung 65F8000, 60D8000, 40HU6350, Panasonic 50E60 LCD's
post #3469 of 3473 Old 04-20-2007, 10:48 PM

any updates?
post #3470 of 3473 Old 04-26-2007, 11:03 AM
Advanced Member

Sharp plans to increase backlight wave colors to include magenta, cyan, and yellow. So this means 7-8 wave backlights. I mean really, they might as well go LED at that point. Also they will improve viewing angles and black/contrast. I also heard they are working on LED backlighting and may have it waiting in the wings or for high end products.

I'm not sure of their strategy to increase colors? I know Sony is doing the same before moving to LED. It could be they aren't ready to produce LED backlighting at high volumes.

From what Sharp announed they are asking VARS to "move" customers to their high end products. I'm not sure what "move" means. Does this mean anyone complaining, offer to upgrade versus replace or simply sell high end products and not low end for more profit margin on both sides.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC7727 View Post

any updates?

post #3471 of 3473 Old 10-08-2007, 02:14 PM

Hello guys my first time posting. Sorry in advance if I violate any rules. I am looking to buy my first LCD. I like what I see from my limited knowledge about LCD's. I am thinking of buying the LC-46D92U, but I was wondering since my area only has 14 HD channels. How good is the SD image quality on this model compared to a CRT? (1 being horrible 10 being CRT quality... No stores around here carry the D92/ wont show me SD on any LCD ~_~ I also had a guy tell me the contrast ratio was what made the SD picture good lol IE higher contrast ratio no macro blocking)

Thank you in advance if you have some advice. Also if this TV is crap then which LCD offer a decent SD view along with good HD?

I apologize if this has already been covered, but there is a over 100 pages on this one thread took me an hour to just read 6 pages. Help me I'm surrounded by bad salesmen
post #3472 of 3473 Old 10-08-2007, 02:19 PM

crap sorry old thread lbeh this is what happens when you google I'll post on the new one.
post #3473 of 3473 Old 03-14-2008, 03:22 AM

!!!NEW!!!LCD with DEAD PIXEL!!!NEW!!!
I bought a brand new LCD 46inch Sharp "LC46D92U".
After few days, i noticed that there is a dead pixel (green).
I was beginning to be worry...if it's normal. 1 week later, i noticed again that there is more dead pixels, 2 more (red and blue). Well welll...my LCD is still under the 30DAYS, so i can make an exchange or refund...should I???
I've ask to experts that knows a lot about LCD. Is it posible to find an LCD 46inch 1080p without any dead pixel???VERY RARE...NOT SURE...MAYBEE... The Liquid Crystal panel is a very high technology product with 6,220,800 thin film transistors, giving you fine picture details. Occasionally, or in my case PERMANENTLY a few non-active pixels may appear on the screen as a fixed point of blue, green or red.
Everybody, SHOULD I just go exchange it for another one or it will be much chances the same problem with others 46inch+ LCD(Sharp). Or just simply BAD LUCK with that LCD!!!

Yes yes I am very picky too...especially with some dead pixels on it...
Finally, I did exchange my SHARP LC46D92U...for an other one. Well just cannot imagine that it will be the same with MY 2nd one.
Can someone belive it or not... Here's with My 2nd SHARP LC46D92U with DEAD PIXEL AGAIN!!! Brand New in the box both of them...
My 1st SHARP was with 3 DEAD PIXELS (green, red, blue).
Now with My 2nd SHARP is with 1 DEAD PIXEL (blue), but this is just for the moment (maybee even more later).
The Liquid Crystal panel is a very high technology product with 6,220,800 thin film transistors, giving you fine picture details. Occasionally, or in my case PERMANENTLY a few non-active pixels may appear on the screen as a fixed point of blue, green or red.
Everybody, SHOULD I go EXCHANGE it AGAIN for the 3rd LC46D92U??? Simply BAD LUCK with both LCDs??? I want an 46inch 1080P LCD with ZERO DEAD PIXEL...Is this POSSIBLE???
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page