Sharp Aquos LCD 2007 speculation thread: D92? TruD? HDMI 1.3? - Page 25 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #721 of 3473 Old 01-09-2007, 04:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by ps2baseball View Post

Yup. Mike53. We need him in a time like this.

Don't know if that would help, back in the day there were people claiming what they said was true even after Mike53 contradicted them. I remember a few "You do know Mike53 works for Sharp, right?" posts, to set people on the right path.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #722 of 3473 Old 01-09-2007, 05:07 PM

Liked: 10
Any update as to a street date on this tv? I purchased a d62 which was delivered today and the banding stuck out when watching the fog scene in master and commander. I will be taking the d62 back and will await the new d82 or d92. I got a great great deal on the d62, and am def willing to spend the extra money on a d92. Which retailers are taking orders for the d92 and are they offering any deals? Any help is appreciated!
post #723 of 3473 Old 01-09-2007, 05:14 PM

Sony in japan sells the x2500 that includes xvYCC which of course means it has hdmi 1.3.

The pr would have listed it as big features if the Sharp had it.
post #724 of 3473 Old 01-09-2007, 05:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by forceten View Post

Is HDMI 1.3 vs 1.2 something that could be accomplished via firmware upgrade in the future if they're indeed the older 1.2?

No, if you have 1.2 that is the max. In other words, if you connect a 1.3 PS3 you will max out at 1.2. Now, the kicker about 1.3 is it is upgradable, meaning once you have an HDTV capable display your 1.3 HDMI is able to take advantage of 1.3A, 1.4, 1.9 whatever.
Having said that, for 1.3 to be in full affect, hardware "A" and hardware "B" must be compatable. Your STB needs to have 1.3 HDMI inputs to take advantage of your 1.3 capable "full color" display.
post #725 of 3473 Old 01-09-2007, 05:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRY1080P View Post

I don't understand why Sharp would put out a 1080P 37" (37D90U) in 2006 and then revert to a 720P "gamer's t.v." with alot less contrast ratio and no 120hz. It sucks seeing as how I can only fit a T.V. with a width of 38". I guess I am in the same boat as KevinJ

720p?

Quote:
AQUOS HDTV Game Players Series (models LC-37GP1U, LC-32GP1U):Sharp has introduced a new Full HD 1080p AQUOS series crafted specifically for video game enthusiasts, the GP1U series, available in 32- and 37-inch screen sizes. These new models include special features that enhance the game-playing experience, including a game mode which optimizes the picture quality for game-playing and a custom-designed remote control that allows the user to quickly jump into the game mode and access the side-placed terminals for easy connections to video games. The game mode provides a newly developed Vyper Drive feature, which reduces lag time between the game console and the TV to be virtually imperceptible. The 32-inch panel boasts an incredible 10,000:1 Dynamic Contrast Ratio, and the 37-inch an 8500:1, for deep blacks and crisp picture quality; enhanced Fine Motion video circuitry for faster pixel response time of 6ms; and wide viewing angles of 176 degrees, so users can view the television from virtually anywhere in the room. They also include Sharp's proprietary 4-wavelength backlight system that provides a wider color spectrum to achieve deeper, more vivid reds than was previously possible. Additionally, both of the GP1U models include three HDMI inputs (with one on the side) as well as two HD component terminals (one on the side), all of which are compatible with 1080p signals from the latest video game devices. Both units in the series feature Full HD 1080p (1920 x 1080) resolution and 10Wx2 audio for an unparalleled high-definition viewing and listening experience. These models are available in a piano black finish with detachable bottom speakers and include a detachable table stand. The LC-32GP1U and LC-37GP1U will be available in March.

Larry
post #726 of 3473 Old 01-09-2007, 06:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lipcrkr View Post

Now, the kicker about 1.3 is it is upgradable, meaning once you have an HDTV capable display your 1.3 HDMI is able to take advantage of 1.3A, 1.4, 1.9 whatever.

Where do you see this? That is a pretty bold statement to say something is forward compatible with specs that have yet to be written without knowledge of whether they require higher bandwidth. That would imply all HDMI 1.3 chips are designed with spare bandwidth that can be software/firmware enabled.

I have never seen any claims from HDMI that HDMI 1.3 devices will be upgradeable to support HDMI 1.4 features. How could they, the features are not known yet.

HDMI 1.3a did not make any changes to bandwidth requirements. Mainly they made minor clarifications to CEC, colorspace, and required HDCP testing.
post #727 of 3473 Old 01-09-2007, 06:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfhub View Post

Don't know if that would help, back in the day there were people claiming what they said was true even after Mike53 contradicted them. I remember a few "You do know Mike53 works for Sharp, right?" posts, to set people on the right path.

lol so true

I am about a year old here, but he was very helpful. I own a 32" Sharp 32D40U and am looking at the either a 26" for the bedroom, or a 37" so I can move the 32" in the bedroom.

Anyone know of a 26" TV with either cable card or built in DVR?
post #728 of 3473 Old 01-09-2007, 06:32 PM

HDMI 1.3 upward compatible?

silicon image website lists their hdmi 1.3 transmitters/receivers only speced upto 225mhz of bandwidth. There is no way a tv that uses those receivers can suddenly accept the full 340mhz hdmi 1.3 goes up to.
post #729 of 3473 Old 01-09-2007, 06:37 PM

Any update as to a street date on this tv?

My local retailer has shown me the purchase orders from Sharp giving an estimated delivery date of 01/10/2007...which is tomorrow........

Sharp LC46D92U
post #730 of 3473 Old 01-09-2007, 06:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Channel View Post

1. The sets look very good in my opinion. I watched a scene with a skier going down a mountain, lots of whites. I could not spot any banding.
2. As for bit depth, I was told that they are 10 bit.
3. Personally I'm planning to buy the 52d92u.

1. Great, fingers crossed.
2. Nice, we'll see if lip is right or not on this.
3. Likewise.

Here is the 52d92u from the link in the CES thread. I do see some patterns on the right, but could be Moire from the camera. It does not look like banding.

post #731 of 3473 Old 01-09-2007, 06:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 170 Post(s)
Liked: 180
Quote:
Originally Posted by mark_1080p View Post

1. Great, fingers crossed.
2. Nice, we'll see if lip is right or not on this.
3. Likewise.

Here is the 52d92u from the link in the CES thread. I do see some patterns on the right, but could be Moire from the camera. It does not look like banding.

I would presume it's from the camera as it's challenging to photo my own panel without issues and I have a pretty good Sony 5 Megapixel but it was before the newer units that resist motion (on the camera's part and without a tripod).

As I view I do not see it but the camera presents it unless I freeze the picture and even then it can blur without using a tripod and it looks as this pic was done without freeze frame feature use. One can hope for the best otherwise why bother participating in this thread unless one is a Sadist as Sharp had no such history of this event before or outside the D62.

Many will rag on it anyways because some folks on this forum think they should get all the features at a price of a POS Chinese panel - Funai Dungo Dingo or whatever they call those crap panels at Walmart and such.

Did someone say that HDMI 1.3 provides a 4 hour Woody? Now that's a reason to root for it or at least a new argument besides lame daily repeat friggin questions and mistatements and assumptions but again those whiny members would expect to get a Lexus for the price of a Civic won't they - when the friggin panels have dropped in half as it is during the past year. The D62 significantly dropped since the original MSRP 3 months ago and that lowered the pricing bar for the D92 but some members seem to think Sharp owes the whole package at the lowest pricing tier and that is nonsense.

The Funai and Hisense RCA and Magnavox nonsense thread awaits the burger flippers Union of America - bring your pennies. (Cause that's all their worth!)

Samsung 65F8000, 60D8000, 40HU6350, Panasonic 50E60 LCD's
post #732 of 3473 Old 01-09-2007, 07:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmzguy View Post

The D92 series TVs and the LC-65D93U incorporate ATSC, QAM and NTSC tuners... The LC-42D92U will be available in April for a Manufacturer's Suggested Retail Price (MSRP) of $3,99.99.
The LC-46D92U will be available in January for an MSRP of $4,199.99.
The LC-52D92U will be available in January for an MSRP of $5,299.99.
The LC-65D93U will be available in March for an MSRP of $10.999.99. "

Seems there was a typo in the post, what's the MSRP of the 42"? And is it really coming out that much later than the 46/52" ? These TV's look damn sweet. If they don't have banding ima get one.
post #733 of 3473 Old 01-09-2007, 07:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by SashaSolitaire View Post

My local retailer has shown me the purchase orders from Sharp giving an estimated delivery date of 01/10/2007...which is tomorrow........

What is your local retailer?
If it is available tomorrow, I'm all over it.

Quote:

I was at CES yesterday, and I spent a good deal of time at Sharp and the other display vendors. Keep in mind that just because I have information from Sharp employees at CES, that does not guarantee it is 100% accurate. Sometimes people will answer your question when they're not 100% sure, and those answers can be wrong. If anyone has information contradicting what I'm posting please speak up.

True don't forget one Sharp rep said that the 92U wil NOT have 120hz even though it was clearly stated it will have it in the presentation.

Quote:

D92U

Yes TruDhd from Micronas is on these displays. Confirmed by both Sharp and Micronas. In fact Micronas gave me the data sheet with the part info it's the FRC 94xyH.

These displays accept 1080p24 input and they display it by replicating the frame 5 time to match the 120Hz output. No judder if you have an HD-DVD or Blu-Ray player ouputting 1080p24 to this display.

As for bit depth, I was told that they are 10 bit.

HDMI.......I talked to two different people at two different times at Sharp, one told me that the 92Us have HDMI 1.3 the other told me they have HDMI 1.2. I'm not sure which one is right. The person who told me it was 1.3 was unsure, but went to go talk to a product manager to verify, the second person answered right off the top off his head and seemed confident.

Banding......One of the people I talked to apologized that they had these problems on the 62U and assured me that they would do exchanges and make it right for anyone who had banding problems. He went on to say that they ran into an early production issue at the new factory and they should have caught it in QA but didn't. He assured me that they are taking extra care to not repeat this again.

-TruD finally confirmed.

-10bit processing still in the air, but looking good.

-1080p24 confirmed.

-HDMI 1.3 still in the air, but not looking good.

-Sharp is saying no banding, but take that for a gain of salt as they said the same with D62U replacements.

so far looking good, I think can live without 1.3 HDMI
post #734 of 3473 Old 01-09-2007, 08:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pqcanada View Post

HDMI 1.3 upward compatible?

silicon image website lists their hdmi 1.3 transmitters/receivers only speced upto 225mhz of bandwidth. There is no way a tv that uses those receivers can suddenly accept the full 340mhz hdmi 1.3 goes up to.

I think you are all confused about what i'm saying. Currently, you cannot take advantage of "deep color" etc with HDMI 1.1 or 1.2. However, if you have HDMI 1.3 in your display and later on there is a feature that 1.3 doesn't have, you will have the ability to apply that feature without having to get capable hardware (like a new TV for example).

"Higher speed: HDMI 1.3 increases its single-link bandwidth from 165MHz (4.95 gigabits per second) to 340 MHz (10.2 Gbps) to support the demands of future high definition display devices, such as higher resolutions, Deep Color and high frame rates. In addition, built into the HDMI 1.3 specification is the technical foundation that will let future versions of HDMI reach significantly higher speeds."

If i'm wrong then what is built into 1.3 that allows for higher speeds if you have to buy another HDTV to upgrade?
post #735 of 3473 Old 01-09-2007, 08:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

The 92u series has no HDMI 1.3 and is 8 bit.

Hi lipcrkr. Where do you have your info from? Just want to understand what your confidence level is on your info.
post #736 of 3473 Old 01-09-2007, 09:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I think you are all confused about what i'm saying. Currently, you cannot take advantage of "deep color" etc with HDMI 1.1 or 1.2. However, if you have HDMI 1.3 in your display and later on there is a feature that 1.3 doesn't have, you will have the ability to apply that feature without having to get capable hardware (like a new TV for example).

"Higher speed: HDMI 1.3 increases its single-link bandwidth from 165MHz (4.95 gigabits per second) to 340 MHz (10.2 Gbps) to support the demands of future high definition display devices, such as higher resolutions, Deep Color and high frame rates. In addition, built into the HDMI 1.3 specification is the technical foundation that will let future versions of HDMI reach significantly higher speeds."

If i'm wrong then what is built into 1.3 that allows for higher speeds if you have to buy another HDTV to upgrade?

I think you are confused about what you are reading.

It says the *spec* has the *foundation* for higher speeds.

It doesn't say your specific HDMI 1.3 receiver will be upgradeable to handle higher speeds or future versions. These are completely different things. It is a far cry from "*the spec* having the foundation for *future versions of HDMI (spec)* to reach higher speeds" to "any HDMI 1.3 receiver/transmitter chipset can be upgraded ad infinitum to higher bandwidth that may be used in future HDMI"

Basically it is saying the principles used to achieve higher single-link bandwidth in HDMI 1.3 can be used to push bandwidth even higher. It does *not* mean a HDMI 1.3 receiver chipset spec'd at 225MHz is magically going to start accepting 340+MHz signals in a future HDMI 1.4/5/6/etc.

Along those lines, DVI 1.0 has the "technical foundation" for more than 1080p video resolution. They simply went from single-link to dual-link DVI, adding 3 extra data lines. This didn't mean your single-link DVI video card would magically become a dual-link DVI video card that could drive the Apple Cinema display at 2560x1600. You actually needed a TMDS transmitter and receiver that could handle dual-link DVI, causing many people who bought this display for PC usage to find out they needed to upgrade their video card (and DVI cables) as well.

Insteading of adding extra data lines like DVI did, HDMI just chose the alternate path of bumping the frequency on a single link to achieve higher bandwidth.
post #737 of 3473 Old 01-09-2007, 10:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SashaSolitaire View Post

Again, this is impossible. MFGs close for end of year, sometimes up to two weeks.

Means that for it to be at stores tomorrow, we are looking a shipping dates of end of November from plant.

Has to arrive from an int'l plant, deliver to a Sharp distribution warehouse point, from there to seller distribution location and then to local retailers.
post #738 of 3473 Old 01-09-2007, 11:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wtfer View Post

What is your local retailer?
If it is available tomorrow, I'm all over it.

True don't forget one Sharp rep said that the 92U wil NOT have 120hz even though it was clearly stated it will have it in the presentation.

-TruD finally confirmed.

-10bit processing still in the air, but looking good.

-1080p24 confirmed.

-HDMI 1.3 still in the air, but not looking good.

-Sharp is saying no banding, but take that for a gain of salt as they said the same with D62U replacements.

so far looking good, I think can live without 1.3 HDMI

the official spec sheet from sharp clearly states it has "120hz frame rate conversion-for the ultimate in fast motion picture quality" look at the spec sheet its listed in bold.
post #739 of 3473 Old 01-09-2007, 11:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinJ View Post

8500:1 contrast which is great

That is dynamic contrast. Thought I'd point it out, just in case.

Quote:

My personal opinion, these D92Us are great displays and I'm very eager to get mine.

As a stressed out 62U owner who is on their second display due to banding, your post makes me breathe a sigh of relief. Thank you very much for the update.

I share your enthusiasm for the 92U as well. If it meets or exceeds the performance of the 62U and doesn't have banding, I can honestly say that I won't really care too much about HDMI 1.3. Of course, that is easy for me to say since this has been my first foray into HD, and am coming from an junky old 32" CRT that has never been any good (only one s-video input, a non-flat screen, plenty of geometry & banding problems).

The store I bought the 62U from said the wife and I can keep using it until the 92U comes in, and then we'll simply do an exchange. Have to say that I'm really happy, as it looks like everything is going to work out well in the end. If the 92U doesn't work out, then I guess I'll just have to look at the new Samsung models.
post #740 of 3473 Old 01-09-2007, 11:37 PM

So the d92 should be out sometime this month and the d82 is still two months away correct? I am not sure I want to fork out $5k for the d92 as that is a lot more expensive than the street price of the d62. Any idea on how much more the d82 will be compared to the d62?
post #741 of 3473 Old 01-09-2007, 11:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outcast View Post

That is dynamic contrast. Thought I'd point it out, just in case.

As a stressed out 62U owner who is on their second display due to banding, your post makes me breathe a sigh of relief. Thank you very much for the update.

I share your enthusiasm for the 92U as well. If it meets or exceeds the performance of the 62U and doesn't have banding, I can honestly say that I won't really care too much about HDMI 1.3. Of course, that is easy for me to say since this has been my first foray into HD, and am coming from an junky old 32" CRT that has never been any good (only one s-video input, a non-flat screen, plenty of geometry & banding problems).

The store I bought the 62U from said the wife and I can keep using it until the 92U comes in, and then we'll simply do an exchange. Have to say that I'm really happy, as it looks like everything is going to work out well in the end. If the 92U doesn't work out, then I guess I'll just have to look at the new Samsung models.

Please keep in mind I can only go by what I saw. The D92's I saw at the show looked good. When I saw the Ski video the first thing I thought is they're trying to show that these don't have the banding problem. In addition they openly acknowledged that they had the banding problem on the D62.

I'm sure once people get D92s home they will test them thoroughly with solid color screens looking for any lack of uniformity. Hopefuly all user tests come out clean and we can put this one to bed.
post #742 of 3473 Old 01-10-2007, 05:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by westa6969 View Post

One can hope for the best otherwise why bother participating in this thread unless one is a Sadist as Sharp had no such history of this event before or outside the D62.

To clarify; Sadists are the people that don't buy the TV but participate in the D62U owners thread. Masochists are the ones that buy the TV but read the thread anyway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by westa6969 View Post

Did someone say that HDMI 1.3 provides a 4 hour Woody? Now that's a reason to root for it or at least a new argument besides lame daily repeat friggin questions and mistatements and assumptions but again those whiny members would expect to get a Lexus for the price of a Civic won't they - when the friggin panels have dropped in half as it is during the past year. The D62 significantly dropped since the original MSRP 3 months ago and that lowered the pricing bar for the D92 but some members seem to think Sharp owes the whole package at the lowest pricing tier and that is nonsense.

You got that right...

Larry
post #743 of 3473 Old 01-10-2007, 05:47 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by lorenzow View Post

To clarify; Sadists are the people that don't buy the TV but participate in the D62U owners thread. Masochists are the ones that buy the TV but read the thread anyway.

You got that right...

Very well played.
post #744 of 3473 Old 01-10-2007, 07:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outcast View Post

The store I bought the 62U from said the wife and I can keep using it until the 92U comes in, and then we'll simply do an exchange.

I hope you got that in writing. I could see this going bad for you.
post #745 of 3473 Old 01-10-2007, 08:05 AM

sfhub, you stated awhile back that you knew for sure that the sharp panels had HDMI 1.3A in them. Can you clarify why you said this? Was it a guess?
post #746 of 3473 Old 01-10-2007, 08:39 AM

I for one believe sfhub. I'm not gonna say why but i do.
post #747 of 3473 Old 01-10-2007, 08:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by elg2001 View Post

sfhub, you stated awhile back that you knew for sure that the sharp panels had HDMI 1.3A in them. Can you clarify why you said this? Was it a guess?

I recall he has a very reliable source that has a good track record.

That aside, it's aparent that there is a bit of confusion between Japan and USA in
terms of the fine details of the specs. With respect to HDMI 1.3A (which even the
infamous mike53 aparently said would be in there before sharp made him leave),
it seems that there is only a YES/NO answer from the reps. The interesting thing
is that people tend to think "if it isn't mentioned, then it isn't there", when considering
the keynote. However, TRu-D is in the sharps and they didn't outright say it in the
conference. Heck, they never mentioned 5-wavelength backlighting or even the
aparent 10-bit processing abilities.

People shouldn't ask "is HDMI 1.3" in there, but they should ask "What version of
HDMI does this thing support". That way, if they don't give you an answer, then
they really don't know. If they say v1.2a or v1.3a, then the person is a whole lot
more credible. Basically a "It supports HDMI v1.3a" response has more merit
than "Yes, it supports that". It's so much easier to say YES/NO than to give real
details.
post #748 of 3473 Old 01-10-2007, 08:46 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin_K View Post

Seems there was a typo in the post, what's the MSRP of the 42"? And is it really coming out that much later than the 46/52" ? These TV's look damn sweet. If they don't have banding ima get one.

$3,199.99 is what I saw elsewhere for the 42" D92U which looked like the same article quoted. And, yes 2+ months after the larger ones.

Dan
post #749 of 3473 Old 01-10-2007, 09:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by danki6x View Post

$3,199.99 is what I saw elsewhere for the 42" D92U which looked like the same article quoted. And, yes 2+ months after the larger ones.

Dan

Numerous sites are saying $3499.
http://news.yahoo.com/s/zd/20070107/tc_zd/197983
http://www.engadget.com/2007/01/07/s...-aquos-lineup/
http://gizmodo.com/gadgets/home-ente...you-226771.php
post #750 of 3473 Old 01-10-2007, 10:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Checking the lineup, why even bother making a 768p 52" ?
Also, why still make a panel with 6K dynamic when you can make a 15K panel ?

Could be outsourcing to Chi Mei or ORION !!
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page