Sharp Aquos LCD 2007 speculation thread: D92? TruD? HDMI 1.3? - Page 7 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 11-21-2006, 06:35 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I read of course that Micronas thinks they have everyone beat with their 120hz chip. However there is merit since they are tackling 1080P at 120hz! Here's what I found in 768P world:

Hitachi also has a 120 hz model which I think looks better than the JVC and maybe more features:

http://www.hitachi.us/tv/browse/lcd/lcd/37HLX99.shtml

It has 3 HDMI 3 Component, power swivel base, day and night memory modes. It's only 768P but I'm starting to move back across the fence to 768 for a 37" or below since 99% of what I watch is SD or from my ReplayTV(DVR).

This TV is unfortunately a sliver to big to fit in my cabinet unless I angle it slightly. The JVC and Sharp will fit in my cabinet, I just wish Sharp had their new set out right now at a reasonable price.

There is also the Mitsubishi LT-37132 37" 1080P which also has my attention and also fits my cabinet.

Toshiba will have this 100hz model in the US soon ( of course as 120hz). Pal 50hz x2 =100 and US 60hz x2 =120:

http://www.home-entertainment.toshib...8?opendocument

I just came across this forum also:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=749808

Quote:
Originally Posted by dj01 View Post

"JVC has actually started selling a few 120 hertz LCD TVs with interpolation. Sharp Electronics will add the technology to high-definition TVs, a representative said. Sharp expects to be the first company to put it into 1080p HD TVs, he added. "

This is from a CNET article ( http://news.com.com/Taking+the+blur+...ht&tag=nl.e703 ) . Could the Sharp rep have been talking about the D92?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-25-2006, 10:46 PM

A family member works for Sharp and in a meeting last week they were told the 92 line will be available late Jan / Early Feb and supposedly the same price as the current 62 series (the 62s are supposed to drop in price starting in Dec). Ill have to ask specifics this week.... not sure if those times/numbers are for the general public or just for employees. Ill also try and get some specs
Old 11-25-2006, 11:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TF_Grungir View Post

A family member works for Sharp and in a meeting last week they were told the 92 line will be available late Jan / Early Feb and supposedly the same price as the current 62 series (the 62s are supposed to drop in price starting in Dec). Ill have to ask specifics this week.... not sure if those times/numbers are for the general public or just for employees. Ill also try and get some specs

Considering everything we have heard so far about the D92, it's going to be one hell of an LCD. If it means ending up with one of these, it will turn out that returning my Sony XBR2 was worth it after all. The wait until spring is going to be painful.
Old 11-26-2006, 07:50 AM
Advanced Member

The wait is pretty aweful but if a 37" D92 has Micronas, 1080P, and 120hz, 4-6ms, no red push, and three HDMI, and three component, and priced at or near the D62? that will be something especially the timeframe will be when most of us gamers will be able to get our hands on a PS3 with blue ray. Either way Sharp better move their @sses or they risk missing the boat on the sports season. My concern is that they are going to focus on 42 and 46" and leave us 37" waiting folks waiting until June.

I was just surprised this morning to see MSNBC pushing the LC-37D90U as their holiday pick!

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/15881933/

Especially considering I can't find it in any of the big box store locally (Washington, DC area) such as Circuit City or Best Buy. BB actually said they are not allowed to order it any more???? I would hope this means a new model is just around the corner like January.

Quote:

Old 11-26-2006, 02:57 PM

Hopefully they get it out before feb 4 (Superbowl)
Old 11-26-2006, 03:08 PM

Liked: 11
Like everyone else, I am hoping that the late Jan/Feb timeframe is accurate. Considering, however, that the TVs will likely be announced the first week of January it seems to be a rather quick transition announcement to actually having product in stores.

Current Equipment:
Panasonic TC-P42G25
Logitech Z680 5.1
Xbox 360
PS3
Gaming PC (Core i7 2600, GeForce 670, 16 GB RAM)

Old 11-26-2006, 04:12 PM

Considering that Sharp has yet to publicly disclose a "fix" for the D62U banding problems, I'm not getting overly excited.
Old 11-26-2006, 04:12 PM

I am just praying they work out the banding issue before the 92 comes out... Some reports of the later 62 are showing much less banding. It would be nice to "know" if you buy a 92 it will have the banding problem fixed.
Old 11-26-2006, 04:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by D92Mike View Post

Considering that Sharp has yet to publicly disclose a "fix" for the D62U banding problems, I'm not getting overly excited.

I would imagine that considering all the problems with the D62, they would try to get the D92s out as soon as possible.
Old 11-26-2006, 08:59 PM
Advanced Member

What would be a stretch for them? They already have the Micronas in the European version of the D62 1080P. If in fact it is the Micronas chipset that runs at 100hz then it also is already capable of running at 120hz per Micronas.

They also already have a 37" capable of 1500:1 contrast versus the old 37" 1080P with 1200:1. We already know they will have 2500:1 versus 2000:1 for the larger 42"+ sets coming since it was already demo'd at IFA.

So the first paragraph above is available today, just not in the US. Toshiba and JVC have 120hz 720P and Sharp has already stated they will be the first to have a 1080P 120hz set. Mitsubishi has already announced they are going to bring over their 1080P 120hz set first quarter 07. This means if all holds true, then Sharp will need to release their 1080P 120hz set Jan-March.

Quote:
Originally Posted by santori_time View Post

Like everyone else, I am hoping that the late Jan/Feb timeframe is accurate. Considering, however, that the TVs will likely be announced the first week of January it seems to be a rather quick transition announcement to actually having product in stores.

Old 11-26-2006, 10:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinJ View Post

What would be a stretch for them? They already have the Micronas in the European version of the D62 1080P. If in fact it is the Micronas chipset that runs at 100hz then it also is already capable of running at 120hz per Micronas.

I don't remember for sure where I read it, but I thought someone posted information that the Micronas chip being used right now is the 480i model and the one that does all the magic on 1080i isn't available from Micronas yet so if they wanted to use the latest chip there would be dependencies on Micronas.
Old 11-28-2006, 07:23 AM
Advanced Member

Micronas has several chipsets available. Which-ever one is being used, Sharp is calling it "TruD" in the D62 Euro model which could translate to this model: "Micronas FRC 9429A integrates truD". The Micronas site lists the 1080P 100/120hz chip as "TrueD HD" or this model: Micronas FRC 94xyH First Full HDTV De-Interlacer, Film Judder, Motion Blur Remover.

Considering they (Sharp) already has experience implementing the 480i version, would it be a stretch that they could quickly turn over the 1080P version? Consider they already announced they will be first to implement the 1080P version.

So we need to start saying that the D92 could have "TruD HD" and not "TruD"

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfhub View Post

I don't remember for sure where I read it, but I thought someone posted information that the Micronas chip being used right now is the 480i model and the one that does all the magic on 1080i isn't available from Micronas yet so if they wanted to use the latest chip there would be dependencies on Micronas.

Old 11-28-2006, 08:07 AM

anyone have any educated guesses as to what the 42" model might retail for at a BB/CC type store? Im in market for a 42" LCD and figure by the sound of it, this tv is worth waiting for but wanna make sure its not out of my price range. Id like to stay under $2500
Old 11-28-2006, 08:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinJ View Post

Considering they (Sharp) already has experience implementing the 480i version, would it be a stretch that they could quickly turn over the 1080P version? Consider they already announced they will be first to implement the 1080P version.

I don't think they will have problems from a connecting the pins standpoint integrating a TruD HD chip, but there are things out their control and assumptions are being made that the TruD HD will be significantly free of major bugs, it will ship in quantity on time, and there will be no integration problems. It may be everything falls in place but there are dependencies when dealing with a new chipset.
Old 11-28-2006, 12:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I don't think they will have problems from a connecting the pins standpoint integrating a TruD HD chip, but there are things out their control and assumptions are being made that the TruD HD will be significantly free of major bugs, it will ship in quantity on time, and there will be no integration problems. It may be everything falls in place but there are dependencies when dealing with a new chipset.

For Sharp to produce for Jan/Feb, they must have samples of truD HD chips running and a thorough test report/bug list. Considering all this stuff is late, this may be round two on a fresh spin of the new truD chip.

HD-DVD is dead, so now I'm a Gary McCoy fanboy.
Old 11-28-2006, 12:43 PM

My source tells me they are not aware of any production delays...
There wasnt a whole lot they could confirm but here is what I know so far:
3 HDMI inputs (1.3 not confirmed but very likely) 1080p and DVI-I compatible
Better color and contrast (dont have #s)
TruD HD (I was told yes, most likely, but cant confirm)
It will have detachable speakers
I was also told they should be the same price at the 62 series and that the 62s price will drop (supposedly in Dec and again when the 92s are released).
Any other specific questions, I can ask, but my source (this is family mind you) is not telling me a whole lot
Old 11-28-2006, 12:51 PM

Liked: 12
See if they can't free Mike53!
Old 11-28-2006, 01:52 PM

Quote:

I am hopin' and prayin' it will have the TruD HD IC.

Thanks for the info TF.

1st. Sharp LC-46D92U Serial 7018XXX - 2nd. 7038XXX
Old 11-28-2006, 02:20 PM

Quote:

My source tells me they are not aware of any production delays...
There wasnt a whole lot they could confirm but here is what I know so far:
3 HDMI inputs (1.3 not confirmed but very likely) 1080p and DVI-I compatible
Better color and contrast (dont have #s)
It will have detachable speakers
I was also told they should be the same price at the 62 series and that the 62s price will drop (supposedly in Dec and again when the 92s are released).
Any other specific questions, I can ask, but my source (this is family mind you) is not telling me a whole lot

What screen sizes? Will the smaller sizes have the same specs and components as the largest sizes?

Current Equipment:
Panasonic TC-P42G25
Logitech Z680 5.1
Xbox 360
PS3
Gaming PC (Core i7 2600, GeForce 670, 16 GB RAM)

Old 11-28-2006, 04:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by santori_time View Post

What screen sizes? Will the smaller sizes have the same specs and components as the largest sizes?

thats what i Wanna know
if there not as good then im probably better off getting a 37d90u right now
Old 11-28-2006, 04:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSET View Post

thats what i Wanna know
if there not as good then im probably better off getting a 37d90u right now

Definately 52". The 92 series will directly compete with the Sony 52" XBR2/3. I would also imagine a 46". The 57" from Sharp isn't due till the 4th quarter. There will be 2 Sharp model #'s released in 2007. It's not confirmed which quarter will have HDMI 1.3 but i suspect it will be the 92u series coming in March/April. Although Mike said "next year" the pattern of his previous posts suggests the Spring release. The micronas chip at 120hz works very nicely with 1.3.
Everyone needs to wait till CES in Vegas the first week in January. This turns a lot of speculation into fact.
Old 11-28-2006, 04:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lipcrkr View Post

Definately 52". The 92 series will directly compete with the Sony 52" XBR2/3. I would also imagine a 46". The 57" from Sharp isn't due till the 4th quarter. There will be 2 Sharp model #'s released in 2007. It's not confirmed which quarter will have HDMI 1.3 but i suspect it will be the 92u series coming in March/April. Although Mike said "next year" the pattern of his previous posts suggests the Spring release. The micronas chip at 120hz works very nicely with 1.3.
Everyone needs to wait till CES in Vegas the first week in January. This turns a lot of speculation into fact.

Yeah Ill definitely wait for Sharps CES announcements before I buy a TV
If there's new groundbreaking technology in the upcoming 37\\42inch or even similar specs to the current 46inch Id wait and buy that,
But 46inches is waaay too big for me
Old 11-28-2006, 06:20 PM

Ill ask about the sizes but all our previous conversations were about the 46 and 52.
Im waiting till CES to decide also
Old 11-28-2006, 11:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Ill ask about the sizes but all our previous conversations were about the 46 and 52.
Im waiting till CES to decide also

Thanks TF, this is great info. If you can, ask if 52" will be the biggest in this series (like the 62 series), or if there will be a larger model.
Old 11-29-2006, 10:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSET View Post

...But 46inches is waaay too big for me

I'm trying to figure out how 46" can be too big. There's only two rooms in my house that it will not work in - the half bath and a closet.

Correction, with a camera and PC, it could dual use as TV and mirror.

HD-DVD is dead, so now I'm a Gary McCoy fanboy.
Old 11-29-2006, 07:39 PM
Advanced Member

Didn't Sharp already give us big hints here?

They publicly announced they will be the first to implement TruD HD on a 1080P set. Also at IFA they showed the XD1E model which is the D62 and the "HD1E" which should easily be the D92 model or in between. It should have 2500:1 increased contrast over 2000:1 for the previous model. The HD1E model was not shown with TruD HD on the spec sheet but we learned that it will include it. I'm sure Sharp is not going to give away all their secrets before CES.

I also found some interesting tidbits:

Potentially Sharp will look to update their models in December to potentially include (because they realize the current model will be outdated in 2-3 months...)to include 100/120hz but it is not clear if this means TruHD also but one would imagine.

The release for HDE1(D62) was October and XDE1(D92?) is January as fixed previously determined dates. It is rumored that Sharp is looking to include HDMI 1.4 in Q1 of 07???? to leap frog the competition (the 1.4 spec is not finalized or announced has it?). It may mean that they include the bandwith and requirements for 1.4 but not actually be according to 1.4 specs.

It is not clear if the 100/120hz model will be a new model number like we heard rumored a while ago (D72,D82?) or they will simply update the D62 or if it will even be in the US. From the information it was perceived that they would simply update the existing models. It was previously announced by a Sharp rep that they want three levels of HD (high, higher, highest...definition). This would coincide with D62, (D72,82?), and D92.

I also noted that a picture from IFA showed a Samsung model with "Motion Judder Canceller" http://www.aixess.de/ifa/2006/b/samsung/11.jpg

This means that Samsung already has the technology in demo form which is their answer to TrueHD or in fact is TrueHD from Micronas since Micronas has no exclusive agreement with Sharp. This document for the world market outlook actually lists the Micronas 100/120hz chip going full production Q3 2006. It was previously announced they provided some chips to Manufacturers 03/2006. http://archive.globalpresspr.com/sum...ions/DV603.PDF

Quote:

Old 11-29-2006, 07:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wtr_wkr View Post

I'm trying to figure out how 46" can be too big. There's only two rooms in my house that it will not work in - the half bath and a closet.

Correction, with a camera and PC, it could dual use as TV and mirror.

I'm with you on that one. My wife and I rented a house recently that has a nice dedicated HT room. The front row is 12' from the 65" screen and I kept thinking, shouldn't it be bigger? I ended up actually measuring the screen, they weren't lying, it's 65".
Old 11-30-2006, 08:38 AM

I hope it comes in a 42" model.
Old 11-30-2006, 12:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 00bolt View Post

I hope it comes in a 42" model.

For the D92s that's unlikely IMO. They'll start with the 46 and 52 models and introduce the 57 (or was it 58?) later. The 42" panel is not based on the newest Sharp panel designs.
Old 11-30-2006, 12:58 PM

Liked: 12
The KII facilities are optimized for 42". I think we'll see them here with the D92's.