AVS Forum banner

Sharp Aquos LCD 2007 speculation thread: D92? TruD? HDMI 1.3?

594K views 3K replies 450 participants last post by  sth884 
#1 ·
Now that the D62s have arrived in living rooms, it's time to start thinking about next year, to what will be introduced in January at CES -- perhaps the long-rumored "D92" series.

Mike53 (R.I.P.
) has already told us to expect HDMI 1.3 next year.

My big question though, is about the "TruD" technology that already has appeared in Sharp's U.K. models. Will this show up in the U.S.? And is it worth waiting for?

On its website , the developer of TruD promises that TruD will "remove film judder, motion blur and noise, as well as enhancing color, contrast and sharpness." Sounds almost too good to be true.

Will TruD turn out to be like DNIe or DRC, which allegedly work wonders with digital pictures but in reality people often turn them off (or wish they could, in the case of DNIe)?

What do you think? What are you hoping for from Sharp next year? And of course, the eternal question: Buy now or wait?

See less See more
#3,252 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by westa6969 /forum/post/0

Based upon the horrid LCD feedback on this forum recently I wonder how it could survive yet the numbers make this forum's feedback ******** since they are selling everyone they produce - obviously Joe/Jane consumer doesn't agree with us on this forum otherwise the aisles would be littered with unsold and returned product.

On this point, which I wished to address separately, I would say that the average consumer does not reflect my level of satisfaction with products in general. It appears that the typical AVS forum member also does not share the opinion of the average consumer. That does not reflect badly on the people here. If you feel that we should be satisfied with a product like the d62 line just like the mass market, then I'll have to disagree with you here.

Numbers of products sold do not IMO turn people's opinions here into "bullsh!t". I value people's opinions here more highly than the mass market. I also value your opinion highly, and have no flames, just a few points of debate.

#3,254 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfhub /forum/post/0

I don't know if it is the best solution to your problem, but the D92 does have a VGA port. The DVI-I port is DVI-D + VGA (DVI-A). It handles digital and analog. DVI-A is just VGA with different pin arrangement. You just need a cable or adapter to convert the pin arrangement into D15.

Try the Sharpness setting as suggested above.

The TV outputs 120Hz so it can avoid 24p to 60p judder issues. The max input is 60Hz for 1920x1080p.

Thanks for pointing this out. The user's guide seems to advise against using a VGA adapter but it doesn't even mention that 1920 X 1080 is supported so I'm not sure how helpful the gude really is.

I do have an adapter so will give it a go.

My wife just found 3 white hot dead pixels against a black background. Bummer that, eh?

#3,255 ·
mark_1080p, I agree with you. I owned had the 52D92 for a week. My set may be worse than others, but once you know the defect is there, you see it each time you watch tv. The vertical bands that many see was not as visible during normal viewing but that horizontal band (or some similar type defect) was annoying to me.

Could I get used to it? Maybe. After a while I probably wouldn't think about it as much. The PQ is still fantastic which is why it isn't a clear cut decision to return / exchange it (my missing speaker made it a much easier decision for me).

Right now I'm without an HDTV. I might give Sharp another chance. What does bother me is the constant exchange game I see others going through. I almost went through this too. You call Sharp and they either say it shouldn't have that defect, or that they fixed it recently and will send you a prescreened set. This seems to be far from the truth (though a few have had success). I don't want to play the exchange game.

I also fully realize that Samsung, Sony (and others) have their own issues so I want to be realistic. I will wait another month or so to see how the D92 plays out (as well as the coming Samsung).

#3,256 ·
stay away from sharp. my first TV had 3 dead pixels so I returned it, and now two of my inputs stopped displaying video on my second set. funny, it happened the same week sharp sent me an offer to extend the warranty. the said they'd come out and fix, and they sent some guy who could barely speak english from some second rate company who claimed he needed to take the TV off the wall and needed 2 weeks to fix it. Customer Service was a joke.

#3,257 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by ps2baseball /forum/post/0

stay away from sharp. my first TV had 3 dead pixels so I returned it, and now two of my inputs stopped displaying video on my second set. funny, it happened the same week sharp sent me an offer to extend the warranty. the said they'd come out and fix, and they sent some guy who could barely speak english from some second rate company who claimed he needed to take the TV off the wall and needed 2 weeks to fix it. Customer Service was a joke.

Well, I still have a positive impression of Sharp, despite some of the problems that have been facing them recently. While I never found a dead pixel on the Sony XBR2/3, I went through 3 of those sets, each with a distinct issue, before getting one that is problem free. I was annoyed with Sony but eventally they delivered the goods.

The trouble these days is that companies are such a rush to get their products into the market that they are often released before they are 100% ready. At the very least, their QC is not matur and often the products themselves. When the product is software, they can always rush the product out and patch it later. With hardware, this is not so easy.

This is the first LCD panel with hot pixels tat

I have had in a very long time and I would put it down to bad luck more than anything else. Unfortunately, I really can't hack bad pixels and that means that this particular set is going back, even if the other issues are resolved.

#3,258 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikegb /forum/post/0

... once you know the defect is there, you see it each time you watch tv. ... that horizontal band ... was annoying to me.

Could I get used to it? Maybe.

That was my impression viewing the d62, horizontal lines were the dealbreaker. Verticals were more subtle, although some of the verticals I have seen here are much worse than those I have seen in the field.

The horizontal streaks could be related to the coating process as speculated upon in the d62 thread, but what gives on the verticals? They do seem like a backlight issue to me, all seemingly in the same location and wide. I would not be surprised if Sharp did not even change the backlight supplier or design for the d92 from that of the d62, just had a different phosphor put in the backlight tubes.

I could never get used to an artifact like that.

#3,259 ·
This morning I set up the 52" D92 side by side with my 46" XBR3 - both running Motorola HD PVR cableboxes. I used one remote to control both boxes so it was possible to switch channels on both sets at the same time.

I have had almost 5 months to adjust the picture settings on the Sony and only a day to play around with Sharp settings but, keeping that in mind, I would have to give the XBR3 a slight edge on this source so far. Of course, there are other variables such as the size of the sets to consider and smaller tends to look sharper but my subjective take on this is that the Sony wins at this point albeit not by all that much.

Sharp is still the better value choice inch by inch though in any event as the 52" XBR2/3 is quite a bit pricier. I also like the menu system on the Sharp way better than on the Sony and the Sharp's Smart Stretch easily trumps Sony's.

our living room is quite bright so we will be watching again after dark to see what the night may bring. Too bad I do not have a second PS3 but what can a poor boy do?

#3,260 ·
Well I got the call lastnight that My 52D92U came in at Visions Here in Edmonton Alberta. They got two at the east end location so I am going to help them unpack one of the sets for display and will take another one home.

I told the manager that if I get 1 dead pixel or notice any banding not to be supprized if and before I could continue he said just bring it back and we will give you a replacement.

Tell me should I unpack my set at the store and do some pre-tests or since I have access to a van would I have better results setting up the tv in my own viewing area first?

I cant wait to test out some HD 1080i home movies on this thing via the PS3.

#3,261 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sitarow /forum/post/0

Well I got the call lastnight that My 52D92U came in at Visions Here in Edmonton Alberta. They got two at the east end location so I am going to help them unpack one of the sets for display and will take another one home.

I told the manager that if I get 1 dead pixel or notice any banding not to be supprized if and before I could continue he said just bring it back and we will give you a replacement.

Tell me should I unpack my set at the store and do some pre-tests or since I have access to a van would I have better results setting up the tv in my own viewing area first?

I cant wait to test out some HD 1080i home movies on this thing via the PS3.

I would check it out at the store because they are heavy and if you find a patent defect you can get the set replaced right there.

You'll need to get it home fot the real try out though.

#3,264 ·
nah, friend took care of house and said one day there was no picture and sound only.

pissed me off.

dont worry, i am typing on my new one now.

bb got two last night and i went in and swapped out, I told them to bless is, love it, make it kosher for luck

#3,267 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by lorenzow /forum/post/0

^^^

Westa says This has happened to him and he used the reset button on the back of the TV.

Yea, I saw his post, but I don't see such a button (red, black, or green) anywhere on my D92.

Where should I look for it?

Has anyone even found it on the D92s?

#3,269 ·
make the purchase on the 92, so far as long as its not the 52 you shouldnt be concerned, Dont buy into the fear before purchasing on this set, IF you notice issues, then come back to this thread, if not your going to make yourself paranoid,

IF YOU see issues, if you dont, dont go looking for them.

#3,271 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by take-2 /forum/post/0

Can someone please answer my above question.Are there some issues that i should be aware of BEFORE i make my purchase?

I regret that your question went unanswered. This thread is supposed to be all about the point of your question, at least in theory.

Known issues with the Sharp D62 and D92 series include vertical and/or horizontal banding. According to a number of reports on the AVS forums and elsewhere, the problem ranges from nonexistent on some sets to clearly defined on others. I found it on mine by putting up a medium gray background but it was so faint that I knew it would not cause any problems while watching TV so for me it is not an issue. People on this thread are hyper-sensitive to imperfections but banding is a QC issue with Sharp so it is best to decide for yourself if your set has the problem and, if so, what you want to do about it - return, exchange etc. If it was me, the test would be whether or not I see the bands in day to day use.

There are other things to watch out for which are common to all LCD displays such as dead pixels, which most sets won't have but, in my opinion, ought never to be tolerated these days.

The only other thing I would say is that you need to get the unit home and in its intended place before you will really know if it works for you. If it doesn't for any reason, do not hesitate to return it.

#3,272 ·
SHARP ARE BIG CHEATS,THEY TELL YOU THEY FIXED THE BANDING AND OTHER PROBLEMS..JUST A PACK OF LIES.I got my 52'' D92 home unpacked it and plugged it in. I put a dvd in and before i even started it up.The green screen showed 2 vertical bands ,clouding on the left and a horizontal fine line running thought the middle of the set.I tryed to adjust it ,but no amount of adjusting could make this go away.SHARP had said that it was there first 200 on the 62u line that had problems.This is just the SHARP CORPORATION trying to plug the leak in there so called flag ship LCD TV.Well all i can see is the ship is sinking fast.Im swimming to the shores of samsung or toshiba.Im sure they can give me a real working LCD,without the hassel and LIES.

#3,274 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by bearfun /forum/post/0

The green screen showed 2 vertical bands ,clouding on the left and a horizontal fine line running thought the middle of the set.I tryed...

That horizontal file line right in the middle is exactly what I saw on mine. I thought it might have just been my set but perhaps it's all. That fine line broke up the uniformity during real viewing more than the bands for me.

#3,275 ·
Part 1. Anticipation

Well I had setup my set last night. I am very impressed with the packaging and look. The quality of the display at 720P and 1080P is wonderful via DVI-DVI and DVI-HDMI and HDMI to HDMI.

PS3 Looks sweet and I get no traditional LCD artifacts.

I did find one thing that did not work for me in respects resolution. The manual says you can use via DVI-DVI 1600x1200 at 60 Hz. I will have to try a high-end PC Video card as the 6150 NVIDIA would not display the whole desktop of the TV.

The refresh rates are wonderful.

Chanel Changing seems faster and much more responsive.

I have taken some pictures of the set before I set anything up I put it in service menu and started to do my "Quality" tests.

I will update this post in about 1 hr with the pictures. Unaltered ones of the Display and a zip file of me unpacking the unit. Along with the remote and even a picture of all the components.

UPDATE!!!

I have a LC52D92U SN 70181XXXX

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.