So You're Thinking About Buying a Syntax Olevia Television? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 60 Old 10-15-2006, 11:56 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Here's my ongoing saga. I recently bought an Olevia 540i LCD television. After three weeks, on 10/4, it died. Tech support diagnosed a failed mainboard over the phone and agreed to send out a replacement to arrive by Monday, 10/9. OK, electronic components do give out sometimes.

When it hadn't arrived by Monday evening I called again and learned that the part was not in stock and would arrive at the warehouse the next day. Note that I had to call to find out that the mainboard was not available. Customer service agreed to send the mainboard out overnight to arrive on Wednesday, 10/11. On Wednesday no part was in sight so I called again. No one could tell me what had happened but they again agreed to send the part out overnight on Thursday to arrive by this past Friday, 10/13. On Thursday I called customer service and was given an incorrect tracking number for a package that was sent to another state. Yet again the mainboard didn't come so I called once more. This time I was given a tracking number that showed the part was shipped by ground service rather than overnight as promised and was not shipped until Friday (at least the tracking number was correct). It is not scheduled to arrive until next Wednesday at which point I'll have owned a dead television for two weeks out of five weeks. When the part arrrives only then will Olevia begin the process of scheduling a technician to come out and install the new mainboard - I hope that the diagnosis was right.

I'm not as disappointed in the mainboard failure as I am in the lackadaisical attitude on the part of customer service. All communication has been initiated by me. Furthermore, the problem seems to stem from the top. I've left three messages with the customer service manager and she has yet to return a call. This attitude seems to be reflected throughout the department.

I've left out some of the smaller, aggravating details of my communications with Olevia customer service. Do consider my experience as one more data point if you are considering buying an Olevia television. I'll post again when this problem reaches some sort of conclusion.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 60 Old 10-15-2006, 02:02 PM

Liked: 11
Syntax is well known for their lack of customer service and their rude reps........I still bought a 537h anyway cant beat the price and the TV is pretty good also.....
post #3 of 60 Old 10-15-2006, 02:07 PM

Thanks for sharing your experience. Im probably gonna still take the risk of buying from them.Hopefull I wont get a lemon.
post #4 of 60 Old 10-15-2006, 06:30 PM

I've had a 332h for a couple of weeks now and have not had a problem,I love the picture running trhu comcast hd.I highly recommend this monitor.
post #5 of 60 Old 12-27-2006, 05:09 PM

I purchased olevia lt37hvs tv december 10 of 2005. Within two weeks of having the tv the motherboard went out, got through to tech support and they shipped out part and scheduled someone to come out to the house and fix. Great, worked until November of 2006. Then something with the color messed up. Called tech support and they decided that the tv needed to be replaced. My options were to either let them place a hold for $1000 on my checking account or a credit card or order a box for $20 wait for them to ship it then call them back to set up a pickup date on our tv. Once they receive our tv they will ship us out a new one. Turn around time was suppose to be 1 1/2 to 2 weeks. We shipped our tv out on the 6th of December and it was received by them on the 12th. Called a few days later no tracking #. A week later called and found out that my tv had not even been checked into the warehouse. Was promised that it would be shipped off by the latest on Wednesday before Christmas. Called Thursday no tracking # but the made it sound like it had been shipped but shipping department had not entered tracking # into computer yet. Called Friday was told that it was possibly on back order!!! Furious at this point spoke with supervisor was told that she was upgrading tv from 337 to 537 for my inconvience. Promised it would be shipped out later that day or by Tuesday at the latest. Well it is Wednesday night and still tv is sitting in the warehouse, was told that they had to test tv before shipping. Getting the same run around that it will be shipped tonight or tomorrow at the latest. So not only was I out my tv for Christmas but now it looks like New Years Eve to. Asked them to ship via ups air instead of ups ground and was told that they could not do that and I should be happy that they upgraded my tv. Was also told that I was lucky to be getting anything at all because my tv was almost almost out of warranty. Right now I am waiting for a manager to call me which will probably not happen. If anyone has any tips for me on how to get my tv please let me know. As it stands right now they have broken tv and I have nothing.
post #6 of 60 Old 12-27-2006, 06:05 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 14
I purchased a Olevia 26" HDTV from CC last year. It had one DVI output & when I used it thru my Samsung HD D*TV receiver there was a "gap" on the top & bottom of the set. Called CS & they told me just to use component outputs. I hung up the phone packed up the TV & returned it the next day.

No thanks to 3rd tier LCD manufacturers. Bought a Panasonic the next day & couldn't me happier. You get what you pay for...period! Only the Samsung's, Sony's, Panasonic's, Hitachi's etc. of the world give you that service. Too me it's worth it in the long haul.
post #7 of 60 Old 12-27-2006, 08:06 PM

quick update spoke to manager (had to call her back instead of her calling me). Tv is suppose to be shipped 3 day air tomarrow. Not holding my breathe because i have heard this many many times from them.
post #8 of 60 Old 12-27-2006, 09:03 PM

sounds scary.

for the price, the 323 i bought last week rocks.

digital cable from comcast through coaxial, my laptop into the vga, and my ps2 through component all look great.

my fingers are crossed.
post #9 of 60 Old 12-27-2006, 10:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 36
I waited and waited for many months for Syntax Olevia to finally release their 42" 1080P model that was shown at the beginning of the year and promised to be out on dealers' shelves by the second quarter of the year; After that date passed and Syntax announced a summer '06 release date just to have it postponed again until autumn, I began to wonder about my choice and run out of patience by late November, when i went to one of the local Tweeter Etc stores in Boston and placed an order for a Mitsubishi 37" 1080P LCD.
It wasn't just the almost year long wait for the product that bothered me, it was also the fact that i would be spending about $2.500 for a HDTV manufactured by a company that seemingly appeared out of nowhere only a couple of years ago, and that thought kind of made me feel uneasy and unsure of my choice of purchase.
Now, after reading threads like this one i feel vindicated with my final choice, as my Mitsubishi has worked flawlessly out-of-the-box, doesn't show any dead pixels that i can detect and has a beautiful and very revealing picture; Sure i wish it also came with a Reon chip built-in just like the Syntax Olevia model i had originally wanted to get, but i had to compromise on that one and i figure that i could always buy an outboard video processor later on equipped with a top-of-the-line video processing chip like a Reon or a Gennum.
I wonder what is the durability of Syntax Olevia HDTVs in general....
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Marcos
post #10 of 60 Old 12-28-2006, 12:02 AM

mmm don't know if i now trust this brand
post #11 of 60 Old 12-28-2006, 07:58 AM

I have been researching the Olevia 542 and the 342 for a while now. I have been debating between buying these 2 models. After seeing this thread, I am becoming very reluctant to move ahead with my purchase.

I am curious to get an idea of the % defective rate for the Olevia LCD TVs. Are there any other positive and/or negative Olevia stories out there?
post #12 of 60 Old 12-28-2006, 09:56 AM

I've posted my experience with Syntax and its products in the Official Syntax OLEVIA LT42HVi Thread, in posts #64 , #108 and #115.

I liked the LT42HVi's image quality enough, but the firmware issues and lackadaisical customer support ensure that I'll probably never purchase a Syntax product again. I was prepared to take a look at the 742/747i range but it seems that Syntax is experiencing delays which, combined with the non-competitive price make them non-contenders for me.
post #13 of 60 Old 12-28-2006, 10:16 AM

Im a long time lurker, just here gathering info on something Im just getting exposed to ( HDTV) and registered not too long ago. I too looked at the many Olevia brand threads because I wasnt looking to spend a lot of money and they seemed to have good value without a bunch of exrtas I personally wasnt going to use.

Originally I picked up a 332H at compusa for a ridiculous price of 550$. I wasnt worried about it not having tuners or anything, because in all honesty I was going to mainly use for my xbox 360 and nothing else. That and it came with a HDMI port so I could later add or tack on any tuner I wanted ( At least thats my understanding ).

The deal from CompUSA was great, and originally I wanted the 37" 337H model they sell but the only local folks who had it were Frys and they werent selling it for nearly as cheap as $550 dollars and I was fairly set on not going up to a thousand dollars for a HDTV. Luckily Frys ran a one day after Christmas sale locally here in Southern CA which dropped the 337H to $697 ( from its $999 price they usually sold it for ) INCLUDING some free Sony DVD/VHS player. I was exctied, because I really liked my 32incher but really wanted that extra bit of size.

Went to Frys in the morning picked it up and couldnt be happier. Ive had zero problems with it and this is with really heavy usage. I just got a 360 for christmas also so Ive been putting a lot of Gears of War/Oblivion and Marvel Ultimate alliance hours in. A few of my friends have also commented how great everything looks. I was a bit worried about quality so I paid a bit extra for Frys no questions 2yr coverage. Seemed worth it to me ( it was really inexpensive ) and the peace of mind.

This TV is inexpensive, great quality. You run the gauntlet of it maybe it sucking out of the box but I am very lucky that mine is flawless ( no backlight bleeding, dead pixels ) out of the box. I'll try to answer any posts how I can.

PS - My settings are through VGA for my xbox 360, I find the colors are less over-saturated than the R/G/B connection. I have the color temp to naitive, contrast/sharpness up 5 clicks from stock. I think one other setting is up 5 clicks but I cannot remember.

My only qualms, the remote is cheap, the OSD ( On screen display ) is hard to navigate and the audio in on the VGA portsetting is a 1/8 connection not a L/R rca, so I had to use an adaptor which came with my xbox VGA cable.

Hope this post was helpful!

-Emerson
post #14 of 60 Old 12-28-2006, 10:57 AM
Advanced Member

If you spend enough time on this board you'll come across threads bashing all manufacturers. The bottom line is that Syntax, Westinghouse and Vizio are second or third tier manufacturers that typically don't do customer service as well as the big boys (Sony, Pioneer, Samsung, Panasonic).

On the other hand the third tier manufacturers offer products at a lower price which generally represent solid values. For the record I've owned televisions from Sony, Panasonic, Philips, Toshiba, RCA and Syntax (my two most recent sets). All of them have offered years of trouble free service. If you're concerned about buying a value priced set then I recommend buying the extended warranty from a store with a liberal return policy.
post #15 of 60 Old 12-28-2006, 02:33 PM

Before buying any product, Customer Service and Technical Service is very important. No matter how cheap the product maybe, still you don't want to throw your money away if after sale support is no good....!

To me Customer Service and Technical Service are equally important for the product before making decision, and not only the quality and price.

No product is 100% perfect built, but it is CS and TS makes remaining percentage to qualify as a good and reliable product.

No matter how cheap and how good quality of the product may be, if it is annoying and unsatisfactory experience with CS and TS, I will think twice before making purchases.
post #16 of 60 Old 12-29-2006, 07:52 AM

Well I finally got a tracking #. What was suppose to be shipped fed-ex 3 day air on wed night/thursday morning so I would have my tv by Saturday was send express saver. Gave me tracking # stating it was shipped Yesterday morning was not shipped out untill Yesterday evening they had only made lable up for tv to be shipped in the morning. Now my tv will not be here untill Januarary 3rd. I have a bunch of people coming over for New Years eve only to find spare tv which is a 19 in older than dirt tv. Happy that my new tv is on it's way, but very dissapointed at the many many lies and excuses that I was given. I am hoping that this new tv will not have all the problems my first one did. They did however upgrade me fro a 337 to a 537 for my problems, but then told me I was lucky for even getting a new tv to replace mine because my warrenty was almost up. Does anyone have the 537 and if so are there a lot of problems with this model also?
post #17 of 60 Old 12-29-2006, 08:11 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 147 Post(s)
Liked: 135
Most companies 'farm out' customer service to whomever will do it the cheapest. Usually India, the Philippians or the like.

They have no connection with the manufacture other than getting paid by them. They have little idea of the product other than the script they are given to troubleshoot problems. It is doubtful they even know what the device looks like as I'm sure they don't have a sample available (especially TVs').

Between this separate supposed CS dept. and the actual service and/or parts department are some data lines and hopefully they do communicate properly. In the OPs' case, apparently it didn't.
Really, why should/could it. Too many variables One hand not knowing what the other is doing.

Of course with all these 'cheaper' TVs' floating around, something has to suffer in the process. Remember; corpoprate profits first.

Abundant OTA television is what makes this country different from all others. Lets keep it this way.
The Internet is no place for streaming video.
post #18 of 60 Old 12-29-2006, 10:57 AM

In syntax's case their warehouse tech support and customer service are all in-house. There were a few times that the manager actually walked down to the warehouse to check on my television. They just have very crappy customer service.
post #19 of 60 Old 01-04-2007, 03:34 PM

I just purchased the 532H. I needed a second TV in the house for when the fiancee kicks me out of the living room while playing Xbox.

I have a Sammy HL-R4266W DLP in the living room with a HDMI connection that has not worked since 2 weeks before Thanksgiving.

First the HDMI digital board couldn't be found in any warehouses. Then it was on back-order. Then they lost it in transit. Then they decided to just do a product exchange and send me a new TV. They just authorized the exchange on 1/2, and I am waiting for someone to initiate the swap.

Moral of the story? Olevia's customer service won't bother me that much. As far as I am concerned, they are all horrible.
post #20 of 60 Old 01-04-2007, 08:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Like DrBaalzamon, I bought a Syntax-Olevia 327V (27") for my othe half's room based an a cheap, post Dhristmas, sale price at Fry's. Because of my concern for it's quality, I opted for Fry's 5 year warranty (for $69) as cheap insurance. After I got it home, I found that Olivia has a 3-yr warranty for $79 - definitely not a good deal.

So far the 327V has been working great from my older D* HTL-HD DVI output (DVI to HDMI cable). It required a little eyeball tweaking to get the picture looking right, and I will do a thorough calibration later (after it has some operating hours on it). It does have really cheap, poor quality, speakers, but I'm using the Stereo (right now a 2.1 channel setup) for the sound, it makes a real difference to use a full range, quality, sound system.

- Claus {non-Santa model}
post #21 of 60 Old 01-04-2007, 10:13 PM

Another reason why you might consider paying little more & go with trustworthy local retailer who will take care of the repair...

Entropy.
post #22 of 60 Old 01-05-2007, 03:30 AM

I really dislike these type's of threads. No matter what brand it is, people are going to have bad customer service experiences. It's not fun when your new TV breaks. Now with the Internet people can voice they're frustrations very loudly and other people get worried. As for the guy who had a problem with the "gap" in his picture. Thats because of the broadcast signal, not the TV itself.

I just wanted to balance out this thread by saying that I've had a Olevia 532h for a couple of months and I love it! I use it mainly for gaming and the performance is as good as any brand. I was also impressed buy the build quality and styling.

No offense to the thread author. It sucks you had that experience. It just seems forum's can be so negative sometimes.
post #23 of 60 Old 01-05-2007, 05:09 AM

you get what you pay for, buy a better brand and there will be less chance of having a problem to begin with. Yes, all manufacturers have their problems even Sony, all I'm saying is do research and buy a quality product. There's usually a reason why a product is cheap or expensive especially when it comes to electronics. Buy cheap and you should expect an inferior quality product and probably just as bad customer service. Again, you get what you pay for.

Actually i don't know anything about olevia so i shouldn't comment, I just know I'll stick with the proven top of the line brands and models., haha.
post #24 of 60 Old 01-05-2007, 06:28 AM

I own the 537h and have had not one problem with it. Picture was spot on when it came out of the box. I was happy enough with the Olevia that for Christmas I bought my sisters family a 232v from CC and that one was spot on out of the box also.

Like a previous poster said I also hate threads like this every manufacturer has problems with bad sets out of the box but please dont just bash Olevia because they are not a Sony or Panasonic.
post #25 of 60 Old 01-11-2007, 10:23 PM

Sorry it took so long long to update I finally got my new tv works so far. I now have the olevia 537 model. Have to pay for another 1 to 2 year warranty. Everyone has been talking about getting the olevia brand because it is cheaper, that is not why we bought it. We went to hhgregg and it was sitting beside a comparable Sony tv. The picture on the olevia was far superior. We bought not because of the price, but because the picture and the sound was better and it had the componet hook-ups that my husband wanted. I had to deal with a lot of bs with costumer service, but if you have the patients and can deal with your tv possible breaking and being without, which we have a problem with because of the quality of our back-up(which was bought at best buy as an open box item need i say more). Olivia has very good picture and sound. Their customer service is less than desirable. If you buy make sure you have a lot of spare time to be on the phone to hound them. I love my tv just not quite sure that the product is worth the trouble if it breaks!!!
post #26 of 60 Old 01-11-2007, 10:37 PM

One last note I am not putting Olevia down for their product as I stated I love my tv. I am very upset about their customer service. Which I know can happen with any product. I think that if Olevia can work out their problems with hold time in technical service, which I never really had a problem with, but other people have, and customer service being more in touch with the warehouse, which is in the same building, then they could be as good or better than sony, panasonic and other top line brands. My biggest problem with my whole experience was being lied to. If they would have told me that the turn around time was going to be a month to a month and a half I wouldn't have had a problem but when you trust something that you paid so much for to someone and are constantly being lied to about the turn around time you start to worry. Maybe for some of you out there $1500 to $2000 for a tv isn't alot but it is to us. I just wish that a company would be honest with us for a change. I know that it is wishfull thinking but I would trust a company that is upfront about their product even if they say that there is a good chance that it is going to break within the first year but they will stand behing their product than a company that is going to be shocked that their product "broke" and will see what they can do!
post #27 of 60 Old 01-13-2007, 07:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rchandler View Post

One last note I am not putting Olevia down for their product as I stated I love my tv. I am very upset about their customer service. Which I know can happen with any product. I think that if Olevia can work out their problems with hold time in technical service, which I never really had a problem with, but other people have, and customer service being more in touch with the warehouse, which is in the same building, then they could be as good or better than sony, panasonic and other top line brands. My biggest problem with my whole experience was being lied to. If they would have told me that the turn around time was going to be a month to a month and a half I wouldn't have had a problem but when you trust something that you paid so much for to someone and are constantly being lied to about the turn around time you start to worry. Maybe for some of you out there $1500 to $2000 for a tv isn't alot but it is to us. I just wish that a company would be honest with us for a change. I know that it is wishfull thinking but I would trust a company that is upfront about their product even if they say that there is a good chance that it is going to break within the first year but they will stand behing their product than a company that is going to be shocked that their product "broke" and will see what they can do!

with rchandler. I went through the same feelings and experience with them. I received my replacement TV after a month. They kept saying me every week replacement going out today... and not until after a month. It has been almost a week I got replacement (same model, LT42vi) and looks beautiful. No problem yet.
I wish I will not have any problemin future. I don't know whether should I buy extended warranty or not?
post #28 of 60 Old 01-13-2007, 09:03 AM
Advanced Member

I vowed never to touch a Syntax product since it took me almost a year and many repeated phone calls to get a Syntax rebate back; I finally spoke to a VP and he cut me a business check on the spot. I wouldn't let them get away with screwing me; I see now that nothing much has changed there since then....
post #29 of 60 Old 01-13-2007, 11:00 AM
hc2

Just to pile on, I tried calling this past Monday (1/8/07) to customer service at around 11:30 AM EST. I went through the prompts to ask a general question of customer service. The phone rang approx 15 times, no answer. I checked and they are on PST, so I thought maybe they were not officially open yet. Tried again at 12:15 PM EST, the phone rang 20 times, no answer, no voice mail.
I thought this is not right. Called the corporate telephone number, asked for the presidents office, got put though to the president's voice mail, left him a message with a question in it and related the experience of not having "customer service" even answer the phone or voice mail kicking in. It has been 5 days, no response.
I like my 537H, I like the fact I can upgrade the firmware. I do not like the fact that customer dervice does not even answer the phone or have voicemail.
post #30 of 60 Old 01-13-2007, 11:53 AM

Stay far far away from Syntax... no support is anything goes wrong.
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page