Uneven backlighting poll for 40+ inch LCDs of any brand. - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 16 Old 10-19-2006, 09:26 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 18
After reading through most of the threads for 40 inch LCDs or larger owners are experiencing uneven backlighting in the form of vertical or horizontal lines (bands) of various widths. The intensity of these lines varies from unit to unit. Usually noticable on a grey background or turf during a sporting event when the camera pans. What I am doing is starting a poll to see how many users are experiencing this. If you could vote and then post the make and model of your screen that would help as well. I’d like to see how wide spread this problem is across the brands. Any screenshots you have would help as well. Hopefully the information collected can be used to help manufactures correct the issue with their product.

Thanks in advance!

Westinghouse LVM47-w1
Vertical uneven backlighting

55HX950 l SC-1522-K l SP-PK51FS l RW12-D l XB1 l PS4 l RNG200 l P31 LIVE:BPMURR PSN:BPMURR
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old 10-19-2006, 10:52 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I had a 46XBR2 for less than a day. I checked all inputs when no signal is fed to the panel, in a dark room. The backlighting was uneven, but it showed up as cloudy areas that were lighter than other areas. No banding. Maybe my problem wasn't backlighting? Anyways, I returned that piece of crap and am looking for a plasma now.

Ridding the world of ferrets, one stinking critter at a time.

My Ferret-Free Setup
post #3 of 16 Old 10-19-2006, 11:55 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FerretHunter
I had a 46XBR2 for less than a day. I checked all inputs when no signal is fed to the panel, in a dark room. The backlighting was uneven, but it showed up as cloudy areas that were lighter than other areas. No banding. Maybe my problem wasn't backlighting? Anyways, I returned that piece of crap and am looking for a plasma now.
Interesting, this is the first I've heard of a Sony like that, thanks for posting.

55HX950 l SC-1522-K l SP-PK51FS l RW12-D l XB1 l PS4 l RNG200 l P31 LIVE:BPMURR PSN:BPMURR
post #4 of 16 Old 10-19-2006, 11:58 AM
Advanced Member

Sharp 46" in the 62u line, horriffic horizontal "banding." Returned the set.

We do not train to be merciful here.
post #5 of 16 Old 10-19-2006, 12:09 PM

40xbr1 with no noticible problems
post #6 of 16 Old 10-19-2006, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Well I've had the 46xbr2 for a little over 2weeks now and I've been happy with it. What do yo mean you checked with all inputs when no signal is fed? The screen remains pitch black till it recieves a signal so how were you checking the backlighting?

I tested at night in a pitch black room, and I see no traces of uneven backlighting when the screen is black. Also conected my laptop thru vga and looked thru some test patterns/colors and found no issues in banding or uneven backlighting.
post #7 of 16 Old 10-19-2006, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3.2vtec
Well I've had the 46xbr2 for a little over 2weeks now and I've been happy with it. What do yo mean you checked with all inputs when no signal is fed? The screen remains pitch black till it recieves a signal so how were you checking the backlighting?

I tested at night in a pitch black room, and I see no traces of uneven backlighting when the screen is black. Also conected my laptop thru vga and looked thru some test patterns/colors and found no issues in banding or uneven backlighting.
In a completely dark basement with no lights on, I had no devices connected at all to the tv. I cycled through video 1 to 8 (or whatever it went up to). I did not see uniform lighting of the panel. It was not black, but I didn't expect it to be since its' lcd. I was expecting a uniform "black". What I saw was anything but uniform. It was like a cloudy sky at night.

It could be that I had a bad set. But when I went back to the Sony store the day after returning it to get my refund, the salesman told me he was curious and checked a couple of other XBR2s. They all had the same backlighting affect.

Ridding the world of ferrets, one stinking critter at a time.

My Ferret-Free Setup
post #8 of 16 Old 10-19-2006, 12:31 PM
AVS Special Member

It's an LCD thing. UGH.

Bear Down!
See how your Blu-Ray movies stack up. Visit the Blu Ray Tier thread today.
Blu Ray Titles: 17
PSN=Neko150
post #9 of 16 Old 10-19-2006, 12:40 PM

hmm could it be it's uneven when no source is there?.. i'll have to check again tonight. When I used my laptop to check, i didnt see it
post #10 of 16 Old 10-19-2006, 01:57 PM

Quote:
I have the same problem with my 46"XBR3. I read from some other post that someone had this problem and used a microfiber cloth to rub on the screen, so I tried it and it worked fairly good as the "clouds" are not as bright, it looks like I evened them out a little. But is it still there and thats all I seem to see when I get a dark scene. I really love the tv but am really disappointed with that for the cash you have to shell out.
post #11 of 16 Old 10-20-2006, 07:22 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Wow I didn't realize the Sony had problems like this. However it seems no where near as bad at the banding caused by uneven backlighting on the Westy and Sharp models.

post #12 of 16 Old 10-20-2006, 08:05 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
I just picked up a Phillips 42 inch LCD and had the cloudiness effect I'm reading here and some light bleeding..... returned the set to Sams and the 2nd one had no bleeding but, the clouds remained. One thing I did notice on the first TV after having it a week is that the Cloudiness seemed to lessen. I don't know if this was my getting used to it or if the fact that I seemed to have the set on all week that some how it was breaking it in. I will keep the new one because I can't go back to my 27 inch Panisonic Direct view and I've not seen a Plasma TV I've liked not to mention I do prefer to watch TV and non Widescreen programing in 4:3 without worrying about Burn In
post #13 of 16 Old 10-20-2006, 03:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked: 30
wow so Philips, Sony, Samsung, Westinghouse, Vizio 40"+ all have reports of uneven backlight problems?

I never knew the problem was so widespread.
post #14 of 16 Old 10-21-2006, 03:30 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wtfer
wow so Philips, Sony, Samsung, Westinghouse, Vizio 40"+ all have reports of uneven backlight problems?

I never knew the problem was so widespread.
Yeah from reading the thread it only seemed like Westy and the new Sharps were it. This is exactly why I started the thread. It's nice to see how wide the problem is.

post #15 of 16 Old 10-21-2006, 07:03 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 335 Post(s)
Liked: 639
It's not really clear to me why people -- especially mfrs. -- didn't anticipate this would be a problem. The tolerances in BLUs have never been particularly high and there is no feedback mechanism in the TVs to ensure consistent light output. Given that there are sometimes dozens of BLUs in a single TV, unevenness is predictable.

There is no difference in HDMI cables. If you can see the picture without visible dropouts or sparklies, the cable is working at 100%. No other cable will display a better version of that picture. You're simply wrong if you think there is a better digital cable than one that is already working. (Oh, and plasma didn't die because of logistics problems, nor does OLED ship in big boxes because it comes from Korea.)
post #16 of 16 Old 10-22-2006, 05:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogo
It's not really clear to me why people -- especially mfrs. -- didn't anticipate this would be a problem. The tolerances in BLUs have never been particularly high and there is no feedback mechanism in the TVs to ensure consistent light output. Given that there are sometimes dozens of BLUs in a single TV, unevenness is predictable.
I don't really care if its uneven or not, as long as it does not affect the picture when I'm watching some thing with a dark scene. But when you see it when you are watching a show or movie then I care.
Closed Thread LCD Flat Panel Displays

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page