Sony 40" and 46" V2500/V25L1 Owner's Thread - Page 16 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #451 of 709 Old 01-11-2007, 03:43 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Rsonnens,

Is there any way to improve the SD pic on my Echostar VIP 622? We are in Los Angeles and my 46V2500 is awesome in HD, but DishNetwork will not broadcast PBS (KCET here) in HD> The PQ is awful.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #452 of 709 Old 01-11-2007, 04:56 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shmooove View Post

Rsonnens, do you leave your set on Full or Wide Zoom picture setting when watching SD (480i) programs? I noticed that the v2500 stays on Full when switching from HD to SD channels and I personally prefer Wide Zoom for the unstreched look. Yet to figure out a way to not have to manually change it every time.

I use a D*TV HR20 DVR and do not get any OTA HD signals where I live, all the HD is from D*TV. I generally do not zoom/stretch/crop anything and the few times I do zoom 'wide-format sd' I usually end up doing in on the DVR because that is the remote I have in my hand and it will only zoom 480i/p.

All that said....I leave my set in what ever the default mode is, I forget what it is called because I never touch it but it does not do any stretching/zooming.
post #453 of 709 Old 01-11-2007, 05:07 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kininn View Post

Rsonnens,

Is there any way to improve the SD pic on my Echostar VIP 622? We are in Los Angeles and my 46V2500 is awesome in HD, but DishNetwork will not broadcast PBS (KCET here) in HD> The PQ is awful.

If I lived in LA and had directTV, which I have, I'd get my locals OTA which the directTV DVR supports (and they support the guide data.) I don't know if the Echostar hardware supports OTA. If not then you could plug in an OTA antenna and use the TV tunner to view PBS.

I am in a situation like yours except I can't get PBS in HD OTA and D*TV also does not have my local PBS in HD.

You can make lots of adjustments on the set to smooth SD and make it appear a little better but the adjustments apply to all resolutions and make HD looks worse. I wish I could save settings by input AND resolution but sadly you can't.

I think you should just complain to Echostar.

Sorry I am not more of a help. For me I want to get a better picture on Comedy Central without making everything else looks worse but have not found a solution, so CC just looks extra crappy....unless I sit very far from the TV.
post #454 of 709 Old 01-11-2007, 06:01 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rsonnens View Post

If I lived in LA and had directTV, which I have, I'd get my locals OTA which the directTV DVR supports (and they support the guide data.) I don't know if the Echostar hardware supports OTA. If not then you could plug in an OTA antenna and use the TV tunner to view PBS.

I am in a situation like yours except I can't get PBS in HD OTA and D*TV also does not have my local PBS in HD.

You can make lots of adjustments on the set to smooth SD and make it appear a little better but the adjustments apply to all resolutions and make HD looks worse. I wish I could save settings by input AND resolution but sadly you can't.

I think you should just complain to Echostar.

Sorry I am not more of a help. For me I want to get a better picture on Comedy Central without making everything else looks worse but have not found a solution, so CC just looks extra crappy....unless I sit very far from the TV.

c'est moi aussi

No OTA -Im behind Mt Lee (Holywood sign). KCET also said to complain to Dish, but they appear to care less whether we're w or w/o. What is the reason for no HD? Money? Probably. Too bad. PBS has some great content.
post #455 of 709 Old 01-11-2007, 08:59 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Ibought 46v2500L1 from costco, came with 18 month warranty card? Will sony honor that?

While online registration does not give u option of L1?
post #456 of 709 Old 01-11-2007, 11:24 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kininn View Post

c'est moi aussi

No OTA -Im behind Mt Lee (Holywood sign). KCET also said to complain to Dish, but they appear to care less whether we're w or w/o. What is the reason for no HD? Money? Probably. Too bad. PBS has some great content.

I don't know if you have cable as an option but for most folks it is a better solution for local HD stations and I suspect they offer PBS in HD. Dish & D*TV both have very limited bandwidth which is the reson they limit the locals but cable does not have this issue. For me it is inertia, and the poor cable DVR options, that so far has kept me with DTV. But if D*TV doesn't increease their HD offerings this year (they plan to) then I may switch.
post #457 of 709 Old 01-12-2007, 08:34 AM

Hello all,
Some questions for anybody having the cloudiness problem: I tried the microfiber massage, but it did not help one iota. Is there some trick to this? I went over it several times, using a moderate amount of pressure (I'm leery of pushing really hard on the screen). Has the microfiber massage worked well for the rest of you? Am I perhaps doing it wrong? This thing is kinda driving me nuts. Am I the only one who has visible cloudiness while actually watching programming? (not just on a blank input). I know some say it's no big deal and it's in the Obsessive Compulsive minds of some owners - but I'm finding that certain programming is just not even remotely acceptable (the cloudiness is so blatantly obvious watching a movie like Alien or Doom, or playing a 360 game like F.E.A.R. or Gears of War). Certainly many other (brighter) programs look truly fantastic, but it's frustrating to have to choose what to watch/play based on a defect of the TV.

I called Sony, and they said that although there is no known problem with the backlight or anything similar, it sounds defective and they suggested I either bring it to a repair shop, or take it back to the store. And I stopped in at Best Buy the other day (where I bought mine) and the TV salesman there said they had four of the TV's returned within the last few weeks (between the v2500 and the 40" XBR) for the same reason. Although he claimed he later "fixed" all four returned TV's by turning on the 'light sensor' setting, which he suggested I do. I did try that, and although that did help matters somewhat (I'm assuming because it basically turns off the backlight in a dark environment, right?), the picture looked worse in my opinion. I've noticed that all the settings I've seen here on AVS all universally recommend turning the 'light sensor' to off. IMO fiddling with settings to disable an aspect of the TV is not "fixing" it.

I still have a few days to return it to BB, but was hoping I could avoid that. For one thing, I'm already on LCD #3 (after two defective Westinghouses), so I feel like a goof bringing a TV back every few months. And with my luck, the next set would probably be worse LOL! Secondly, I just had major abdominal surgery two weeks ago, and can't lift anything, so I have to get somebody else to do it for me. Still though, is that my only option at this point? Any suggestions or just similar experiences?

Thanks a bunch,
- Joe
post #458 of 709 Old 01-12-2007, 10:13 AM

Just paid for the KDL 40v2500! Have not even picked it up yet but will have it by tonight.... Good purchase? Worth the money? I love the double HDMI slots...

Thoughts?

Billy
post #459 of 709 Old 01-12-2007, 10:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
On the backlighting, there are multiple threads here on this. As others have pointed out, somehow the screen does indeed seem to smooth out over time; the problem has diminished in just the one month I have owned the set.

I am still monkeying with sharpness vs. mpeg noise reduction etc. to get the picture with 480p dvd just right...and things keep looking better and better.
post #460 of 709 Old 01-12-2007, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joed100 View Post

Hello all,
Some questions for anybody having the cloudiness problem: I tried the microfiber massage, but it did not help one iota. Is there some trick to this? I went over it several times, using a moderate amount of pressure (I'm leery of pushing really hard on the screen). Has the microfiber massage worked well for the rest of you? Am I perhaps doing it wrong? This thing is kinda driving me nuts. Am I the only one who has visible cloudiness while actually watching programming? (not just on a blank input). I know some say it's no big deal and it's in the Obsessive Compulsive minds of some owners - but I'm finding that certain programming is just not even remotely acceptable (the cloudiness is so blatantly obvious watching a movie like Alien or Doom, or playing a 360 game like F.E.A.R. or Gears of War). Certainly many other (brighter) programs look truly fantastic, but it's frustrating to have to choose what to watch/play based on a defect of the TV.

I called Sony, and they said that although there is no known problem with the backlight or anything similar, it sounds defective and they suggested I either bring it to a repair shop, or take it back to the store. And I stopped in at Best Buy the other day (where I bought mine) and the TV salesman there said they had four of the TV's returned within the last few weeks (between the v2500 and the 40" XBR) for the same reason. Although he claimed he later "fixed" all four returned TV's by turning on the 'light sensor' setting, which he suggested I do. I did try that, and although that did help matters somewhat (I'm assuming because it basically turns off the backlight in a dark environment, right?), the picture looked worse in my opinion. I've noticed that all the settings I've seen here on AVS all universally recommend turning the 'light sensor' to off. IMO fiddling with settings to disable an aspect of the TV is not "fixing" it.

I still have a few days to return it to BB, but was hoping I could avoid that. For one thing, I'm already on LCD #3 (after two defective Westinghouses), so I feel like a goof bringing a TV back every few months. And with my luck, the next set would probably be worse LOL! Secondly, I just had major abdominal surgery two weeks ago, and can't lift anything, so I have to get somebody else to do it for me. Still though, is that my only option at this point? Any suggestions or just similar experiences?

Thanks a bunch,
- Joe

I have had a similar problem- most noticable playing FEAR or dark scenes of Battlefied 2- It has been about 35 days and the cloudiness had dissapated greatly, but it is still present some. I am trusting that will more time it will fade even more. I did the microfiber a few times now- it helps more about 15 mins after doing it- not right away- at least for me. I also laid the TV face down for an hour once and that helped too.
Good luck and keep us posted on your experience.
post #461 of 709 Old 01-12-2007, 09:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy182 View Post

Just paid for the KDL 40v2500! Have not even picked it up yet but will have it by tonight.... Good purchase? Worth the money? I love the double HDMI slots...

Thoughts?

Billy

Absolutely worth the money! I've had mine hooked up for a week, and I love it. In my opinion, this TV gives the most bang-for-the-buck of any flat-panel LCD on the market.
post #462 of 709 Old 01-12-2007, 11:21 PM
AVS Special Member

I'm normally in the Sharp forum (waiting for the 92u series), but i've been looking at the v2500 in the stores and very impressed but i need it in 50" or 52". Is 46" the max or is Sony planning on a larger size for the v2500?
post #463 of 709 Old 01-13-2007, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theoxylo View Post

I take it I can't use a 1080p signal over component, only 1080i? I will try it anyway and report back...

Well, 1080p over component from the Xbox 360 just results in a black screen and invalid signal message.

Futhermore, if you accidentally accept this setting (don't ask me how I managed to press the right combination of buttons in the short time the black screen was up), it is hard to recover. Supposedly, you can hold R trigger and Y to reset the default Xbox 360 display settings, but I couldn't get that to work.

Good thing I had a 37" 768 Vizio on hand that I was testing -- it will take a 1080p signal, so I was able to view the dashboard and step down the resolution to 1080i and then switch back to the Sony set. Whew!

By the way, for most Xbox 360 games (rendered internally at 720p), the Vizio actually has a better display than the Sony, I think. The Sony has to upscale and the result is blurry. Even if you use the 360 to do the scaling, the result is about the same.

So, I may end up saving myself $1200! Even though the Sony is a much nicer piece of tech... If only the sharpness of the on-screen menus could come through from the Xbox 360 source.
post #464 of 709 Old 01-13-2007, 04:28 PM
GSB
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by theoxylo View Post

Well, 1080p over component from the Xbox 360 just results in a black screen and invalid signal message.

Futhermore, if you accidentally accept this setting (don't ask me how I managed to press the right combination of buttons in the short time the black screen was up), it is hard to recover. Supposedly, you can hold R trigger and Y to reset the default Xbox 360 display settings, but I couldn't get that to work.

Good thing I had a 37" 768 Vizio on hand that I was testing -- it will take a 1080p signal, so I was able to view the dashboard and step down the resolution to 1080i and then switch back to the Sony set. Whew!

By the way, for most Xbox 360 games (rendered internally at 720p), the Vizio actually has a better display than the Sony, I think. The Sony has to upscale and the result is blurry. Even if you use the 360 to do the scaling, the result is about the same.

So, I may end up saving myself $1200! Even though the Sony is a much nicer piece of tech... If only the sharpness of the on-screen menus could come through from the Xbox 360 source.

The V2500 should not be blurry. Have you tried the calibration thread for suggested settings?

Gary
post #465 of 709 Old 01-13-2007, 10:02 PM

I'm using a component-based prog scan player on my v2500.

On older DVDs, it's nice to be able to tweak the RGB color slider to fix reddish transfers.

If I switch to an HDMI-based player, will I still be able to adjust the RGB color slider?

Happily, my clouds also seem to be dissipating.
post #466 of 709 Old 01-14-2007, 09:21 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank@N View Post

I'm using a component-based prog scan player on my v2500.

On older DVDs, it's nice to be able to tweak the RGB color slider to fix reddish transfers.

If I switch to an HDMI-based player, will I still be able to adjust the RGB color slider?

Happily, my clouds also seem to be dissipating.

With HDMI you can make all the same color adjustments that you can with component. But be warned that you may not see any improvement with picture quality because you are just trading of doing the scaling in the player verses the TV.
post #467 of 709 Old 01-14-2007, 10:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
I thought earlier in the threat somewhere that was information on which error messages should be ignored in sending 1080p over VGA to the V2500 from the xbox.

We are sticking with the component for now, so I have no direct experience to report on.
post #468 of 709 Old 01-14-2007, 02:16 PM

An error message that says something like "unsupported format" pops up when you use the 360 with 1080p over the VGA. All you have to do is hit a button and the error message goes away though, no biggie. It works perfectly fine.
- Joe

Quote:
Originally Posted by originalsnuffy View Post

I thought earlier in the threat somewhere that was information on which error messages should be ignored in sending 1080p over VGA to the V2500 from the xbox.

We are sticking with the component for now, so I have no direct experience to report on.

post #469 of 709 Old 01-14-2007, 10:01 PM

I just got my 46" Sony Bravia LCD 1080p television from Sam's club today! Any suggestions on " CALIBRATION" settings for this television?
I'm running my XBox 360 via component to the tv. I've also connected the XBox HD-DVD Player which connects to the XBox 360 console via USB 2.0

Brand: Sony Bravia 46" HD LCD TV - Model Number: KDL-46V25L1

url: http://www.samsclub.com/shopping/na...t=5&item=350270
post #470 of 709 Old 01-15-2007, 10:50 AM

rsonnens,

Thanks for the response, I thought I had read elsewhere that HDMI-based video prevented some color adjustments on the display.

I've also heard alot about HDMI flakiness, almost enough to make me want to stick with component.

Yes, the internal Sony scaler is very, very good. Newer DVDs look almost HD.

But older (possibly incorrectly encoded) DVDs often exhibit tons of motion-combing even if they're 16x9.

You can even see motion-combing on new discs, but it's only present in trailers and extras.

Because my player simply outputs 480p and the V2500 just upconverts, video only looks great in 'best case scenario' situations.

So I'm somewhat reluctantly looking into upconvert players with on-board hardware designed to make even 'hairy' video look watchable.

HD-DVD/Blu-ray solutions are too expensive for me and the new 1080p Oppo seems very glitchy currently.

Think I'm going to wait for the Samsung DVD-1080P7 just announced at CES, suppose to ship in the Spring for ~$100.
post #471 of 709 Old 01-15-2007, 11:51 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank@N View Post

But older (possibly incorrectly encoded) DVDs often exhibit tons of motion-combing even if they're 16x9.

Correct, for example I have a non-amorphic widescreen version of "A Bug's Life" and it is pretty bad. When viewed from my Mac Mini verses my 1080i (or for that matter 480i/p) from my upscalling Sony 75H DVD player it looks slightly better but it is bad in either case. Perhaps some upscalling players are better than others but, as the saying goes, you can't get lemon-aid out of a turnip.
post #472 of 709 Old 01-15-2007, 07:25 PM

I have powerstrip installed in my laptop but I'm unable to get the v2500 to work in 1920x1080, every time I try to go to the 'Advance timing' the Active horizontal and vertical gets back to 1400 and 1050. does anybody has this problem and nows how to get it to work?

thanks

- Panasonic TC-P50ST30
- Yamaha RX-V667
- Polk RM75
- Polk PSW10
- ARRX18G Remote w/ RF extender
- WDTV Live+ (5TB and growing)
post #473 of 709 Old 01-16-2007, 01:21 PM

Well, I ultimately returned it to BB, as I had one day left before my 30 days were up. The old set was really bad (about as bad as the worst pictures I've seen online), but I am happy to say that the new set is much better. It's not PERFECT, but it's probably 70% better, and I think I can live with that. In particular the new set has some cloudiness on the right side, and a bit on the top. The old set had it almost EVERYWHERE (there was as much cloudy area as dark area, honestly). I'm not sure if it made any difference or not, but the first set was brought home on it's side in my girlfriend's Pacifica. This time, we borrowed my friend's Envoy, and were able to transport it standing up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SethKo View Post

I have had a similar problem- most noticable playing FEAR or dark scenes of Battlefied 2- It has been about 35 days and the cloudiness had dissapated greatly, but it is still present some. I am trusting that will more time it will fade even more. I did the microfiber a few times now- it helps more about 15 mins after doing it- not right away- at least for me. I also laid the TV face down for an hour once and that helped too.
Good luck and keep us posted on your experience.

post #474 of 709 Old 01-17-2007, 05:53 PM

just wanted to post some further impressions on the t.v. overall very happy with the v25l1, some minor clouding in one corner, but only on very black with no contrast
scenes or blank input. the clouding has been getting better steadily. the only issue
I have is while watching a movie or t.v. show with pin stripes on peoples clothes. The stripes seems to "shimmer" as if reflecting lights as the people moved, I noticed it watching meet the fockers, the sopranos, and boston legal. any suggestions on that? I have not noticed this before this past weekend, so it may have just bin feed related.

thanks,

todd
post #475 of 709 Old 01-17-2007, 09:27 PM

Woops.. I posted in the wrong forum. But I will post it here now.

I just got the 46V25L1 - For some reason the optical out from the tv to my reciever is not working. On my reciever it keeps flashing back and forth rapidly "Digital" and then "Stereo". I am hoping its not my tv....but then again I connect other components through the same optical cable and all is fine and works??? ANyone else have this problem or wanna test theirs?
My reciever is the Pioneer 1014TX by the way.
post #476 of 709 Old 01-18-2007, 07:40 AM

lg,

If the details in the picture look too 'hot', you might want to check your sharpness settings.

It took me almost a month to really tune in my picture settings for all inputs.

As far as the quality of your signal provider, that's always suspect.
post #477 of 709 Old 01-18-2007, 08:24 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlouly76 View Post

Woops.. I posted in the wrong forum. But I will post it here now.

I just got the 46V25L1 - For some reason the optical out from the tv to my reciever is not working. On my reciever it keeps flashing back and forth rapidly "Digital" and then "Stereo". I am hoping its not my tv....but then again I connect other components through the same optical cable and all is fine and works??? ANyone else have this problem or wanna test theirs?
My reciever is the Pioneer 1014TX by the way.

What were you viewing. I believe the OPT out only works for OTA and for non-digital inputs (composite, component & S-Vid) It will not work if you use HDMI inputs.
post #478 of 709 Old 01-18-2007, 08:29 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by littlegoat View Post

...I have is while watching a movie or t.v. show with pin stripes on peoples clothes. The stripes seems to "shimmer" as if reflecting lights as the people moved, I noticed it watching meet the fockers, the sopranos, and boston legal. any suggestions on that? I have not noticed this before this past weekend, so it may have just bin feed related.

You are not saying how you are getting the image (OTA, Cable/Sat? HD or SD?). However this is usually an artifact of MPEG compression on moving objects with thin stripes. It gets worse with (Cable/Sat) becuase the compressed image gets recompressed. It is even worse with with SD on Sat/Cable.

If you are watching HD you can improve the situation by using FULL PIXEL on 1080i becuase the image won't be streatch (which agravates the issue.)
post #479 of 709 Old 01-18-2007, 09:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsonnens View Post

What were you viewing. I believe the OPT out only works for OTA and for non-digital inputs (composite, component & S-Vid) It will not work if you use HDMI inputs.

Hi Rsonnens
yes its OTA. I am gonna kill myself if its the TV.

( This is my Suicide note )
Please let the investigators know.
post #480 of 709 Old 01-18-2007, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlouly76 View Post

Hi Rsonnens
yes its OTA. I am gonna kill myself if its the TV.

on my 40v2500 I use OPT out (TOSlink) into my Denon 4306, only source is OTA.
It worked fine from the first attempt.

ed
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page