Is buying flat panel plasma/lcd from Amazon worth the risk? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 30 Old 10-22-2006, 12:54 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hello guys, if this does not belong in the right section, please move it. I just think that this targets a better audience (plasma/lcd previous buyers) who may know the answer to this question.

Amazon has one of the best prices and with free shipping and no tax, its quite hard to not buy from them. However, their return policy sucks.

So this all comes down to this, who has had great experiences buying from Amazon and dealing with shipping from EagleGL? (i heard this is their shipping carrier).

Did you have a problem with the shipping? If so, how was it resolved?

Is the few hundred dollars I'm about to save worth the risk of not being able to return it? (the product I had in mind is a Samsung..and seeing how Amazon is a Samsung authorized reseller, that only reinforces my stand to do business with Amazon)

If the tv is damaged upon inspection by me, what would eagle and amazon do?

Thanks Guys.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 30 Old 10-22-2006, 12:58 PM
AVS Special Member

I was about ready to do the same thing in another month from now. However, versus brick and mortar, you have no "preview" of that TV set, but they usually DO carry the same models as the big box stores, but for far less. However, how would one know what the quality of some models that Amazon sells, but ones that aren't at displays in a store?

AVS Forum...The Final Frontier. My continuing mission. To explore strange, new equipment, to seek out new movies and technology. Boldly going where no enthusiast had gone before.
post #3 of 30 Old 10-22-2006, 01:22 PM

i haven't purchased a plasma from amazon, but i have to say that my experience buying a plasma via the internet (from a well regarded authorized pioneer reseller) would make me EXTREMELY wary of buying from anyone but a firm with absoulutely the best reputation for customer service. these things get broken in shipping more than you could imagine.

if i had to do it again, i might pay as much as 10% more to buy from a b&m store, and i wouldn't even CONSIDER buying from anyone but the biggest online retailers.

i would call amazon and ask them what their policy is in case the unit is damaged. will they ship another before receiving the broken one back? will the freight company take care of pickup, are you going to have to sit at home for three days, etc etc,
post #4 of 30 Old 10-22-2006, 01:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Well, true, I got my Westy from a television network shopping channel, and it is almost 100% perfect to this day, and I haven't had any complaints about this set (this was about a year ago). I mean, getting a television shipped to you may be great to a point that you don't have to try fitting that big 32" - 50" TV in the back of your car (we have a 5-door Ford Focus, so a big HDTV won't fit in those too easily, I don't think). For me, I'd say that if that e-tailer has a big reputation on their hands, and the TV has a 5-star review due to great shipping, and great quality of that set, then you may be okay from ordering from that vendor. IIRC, didn't Eagle do most of Amazon's TVs?

AVS Forum...The Final Frontier. My continuing mission. To explore strange, new equipment, to seek out new movies and technology. Boldly going where no enthusiast had gone before.
post #5 of 30 Old 10-22-2006, 01:54 PM

Well, I just bought a 55" rear pro from Amazon. They claim to have "white glove" delivery, but that turned out not to be the case when my set arrived - just regular carry up to my apartment, but no waiting for setup before I signed. Nevertheless, everything went fine, and the set has a warranty in any case. Considering the money you save, and Amazon's very strong commitment to customer service, I felt very comfortable ordering from them.

To get the best deal, try to get a trial membership of Amazon Prime, and also get an Amazon Visa card. The card gives you 3% back in amazon gift certificates, and the Amazon Prime gives you free shipping. Combined with no tax - they often have extremely competetive offerings.
post #6 of 30 Old 10-22-2006, 02:37 PM

After seeing this page at Amazon, I feel a lot more confident about buying online:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...196423-9222545

Theoretically, this "in home" repair service should be good no matter which online site you buy from, but I agree that it's best to stick with certified, high rated sites.

I'm getting ready to buy as well, and find the huge savings online too great to pass up.
post #7 of 30 Old 10-22-2006, 03:49 PM

If you get a set with a particularly distracting dead or stuck pixel, you're screwed, as none of the online retailers accept returns, and the manufacturers do not consider this to be a defect.
This alone may be reason to pay the brick and mortar premiums. Then again, if you're a gamblin' man...
post #8 of 30 Old 10-22-2006, 03:57 PM
Raj

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek Jansen
If you get a set with a particularly distracting dead or stuck pixel, you're screwed, as none of the online retailers accept returns, and the manufacturers do not consider this to be a defect.
This alone may be reason to pay the brick and mortar premiums. Then again, if you're a gamblin' man...
Not true. There are on-line retailers that do accept returns for any reason.
post #9 of 30 Old 10-22-2006, 03:58 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek Jansen

thats also what i'm worried about too...

it IS a gamble..... =]
post #10 of 30 Old 10-22-2006, 04:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Unfortunately, on the same token, I haven't seen any brick and mortar store accept or honor any Amazon or e-tailer price match differences for any television. I believe that retail stores should consider doing something to compete with sites like Amazon or Buy.com to get people to walk into a store again, not too sure if that's gonna happen anytime soon, tho. B&M stores are gonna hurt after a while if this keeps up.

post #11 of 30 Old 10-22-2006, 04:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raj
Not true. There are on-line retailers that do accept returns for any reason.
Correct. Beach Camera for one does, although they (and I believe all sites) have restocking fees.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8IronBob
I believe that retail stores should consider doing something to compete with sites like Amazon or Buy.com to get people to walk into a store again, not too sure if that's gonna happen anytime soon, tho. B&M stores are gonna hurt after a while if this keeps up.
Competition is good. If the good old brick and mortar stores get pinched by online retailers, they will be forced to be more competitive.
post #12 of 30 Old 10-22-2006, 04:36 PM
AVS Special Member

True, but keep in mind that Amazon doesn't have the same overhead or middleman to push you to buy an expensive mistake, unlike a B&M, so that's something else to consider.

post #13 of 30 Old 10-22-2006, 04:38 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Yes it is worth the risk! I saved hundreds on my plasma purchase plus no tax and free shipping. It was delivered by Eagle. They called to arrange a time for delivery. They unpacked it and made sure the set was working. Do not sign anything until you make sure your set is working.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #14 of 30 Old 10-22-2006, 04:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DvdJags
Yes it is worth the risk! I saved hundreds on my plasma purchase plus no tax and free shipping. It was delivered by Eagle. They called to arrange a time for delivery. They unpacked it and made sure the set was working. Do not sign anything until you make sure your set is working.
I hear sooo many people saying this. But I don't know too many UPS or Fedex drivers that are willing to wait for someone to unpack the TV, plug everything up, check for problems, etc..... I tried doing this once when I ordered a stereo from crutchfield and the UPS guy was like "I don't have time for you to do all that. I have many deliveries and if everyone asked me to check their packages, it would take me 3 days to deliver one days worth of stuff." For those of you who are checking first..........what is the deliver company, and what did you ask them?
post #15 of 30 Old 10-22-2006, 06:51 PM - Thread Starter

My girlfriend is going to help me pay for some of the costs of the LN-S4695D since my birthday is next month. I told her Amazon has one of the worlds best prices but she insisted that the extra $xxx dollar spent at B&M location is worth it considering the aggravation I may go through if I run into problems. She basically agrees with me paying the "premium" gives you the 30 day safety net to exchange the unit if something happens.

The "premium" is a rather un-attractive price. Part of which, goes to "Uncle-Sam".

Now, I know for a fact, Costco is definitely "worth-the-risk". Hands down I will gladly empty my wallet on them in a blink of an eye. The problem for me is they don't carry the product I want right now. They seem to like to target extreme enthusiast since most of their panels are well over 55".
post #16 of 30 Old 10-22-2006, 07:29 PM

check out **********.com and all there reviews online. I bought my $3000 600U panny from them. It shipped across country no problem and they have excellent customer service. Check 'em out...
post #17 of 30 Old 10-22-2006, 07:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Amazon is definitely trustworthy. Stay away from smaller, super-cheap-priced stores - especially the ones out of the east coast. BAD NEWS.

Bear Down!
See how your Blu-Ray movies stack up. Visit the
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
today.
Blu Ray Titles: 17
PSN=Neko150
post #18 of 30 Old 10-22-2006, 11:07 PM

I don't see the fear of buying from Amazon since you covered for 1 year of repairs. Just be sure you have really decided on the product you're buying....
post #19 of 30 Old 10-23-2006, 12:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8IronBob
Unfortunately, on the same token, I haven't seen any brick and mortar store accept or honor any Amazon or e-tailer price match differences for any television. I believe that retail stores should consider doing something to compete with sites like Amazon or Buy.com to get people to walk into a store again, not too sure if that's gonna happen anytime soon, tho. B&M stores are gonna hurt after a while if this keeps up.
I got Best Buy to price match amazon.com today for my 42 inch panasonic plasma. They guy just took me at my word; he didn't check, even though it was a good deal less at amazon.com. Pretty much I just paid sales tax as the premium, and for that extra money I get best buy's return policy.
post #20 of 30 Old 10-23-2006, 02:03 AM
Raj

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy Legend
Correct. Beach Camera for one does, although they (and I believe all sites) have restocking fees.

Competition is good. If the good old brick and mortar stores get pinched by online retailers, they will be forced to be more competitive.
How about TV Authority? I believe they still have a full 30 day no questions asked warranty. It's the reason I bought my Pioneer 50" from them. I had bought a Toshiba plasma last year which promptly failed, it took an attorney to get the vendor to take it back finally.
post #21 of 30 Old 10-23-2006, 08:54 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raj
How about TV Authority? I believe they still have a full 30 day no questions asked warranty. It's the reason I bought my Pioneer 50" from them. I had bought a Toshiba plasma last year which promptly failed, it took an attorney to get the vendor to take it back finally.

I am in CA...so are they. I would like to avoid throwing away hundreds of dollars worth of tax.... to Uncle Sam.

See the news on yahoo today? OVer $1billion dollar in aid un-accounted/stolen in Iraq.. high ranking officials took the stash and bailed the country.

Thats where MY tax money is going....jeez.

Sorry, I just had to vent on that. Tax sucks.. if they only gave us an option to voluntarily donate to any charity instead, I'd be happy to do so.
post #22 of 30 Old 10-23-2006, 10:02 PM

Hi. I just bought my samsung 3292 from amazon. No problems at all. Received it 4 days after i placed the order.

It was delivered by Eagle, and they called me to schedule a time on Saturday (which is ideal for me since i work mon-fri, 9-7). They came up, unpacked the TV, and made sure it was working before having me sign it.

Overall I was very satisfied with the experience. I was gonna buy the TV from buydig/beach camera, but I think they're out of stock or something since it's not listed on the site anymore... Among the stores that still carry the TV, Amazon seems to be the most trustworthy while having the best price (plus no shipping/no tax).. I'd say go for it.
post #23 of 30 Old 10-23-2006, 10:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Yeah, all B&M stores are good for as far as HDTVs are the displays, and seeing which LCD/plasma is best for you. The salesmen at those stores usually give you the run around, telling you that old "Sold Out" routine, and try to talk you into a model that may or may not be AS good for you at all. I, for one, usually fall victim of their scheme, well, now that Amazon's become more popular, I'm gonna start getting pretty smart around the guy in the blue polo shirt with the yellow tag (yeah, you know who I mean). Yeah, Amazon/Eagle seems to be a winning combination, and I may just deal with them sometime soon, hopefully around the holiday season (then again, that's probably the WORST time to deal with Amazon/Eagle, due to the high demand for them around that time).

post #24 of 30 Old 10-24-2006, 06:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 48
FWIW, they sent this by email:
Quote:
Because of the weight and size of these large televisions, there is only one ship method and we are not able to expedite these orders.

Your order will beshipped via Eagle Freight, our specialty shipper for oversized parcels. Some information regarding shipment tracking is available online at http://www.eaglegl.com/, but they will still make special arrangements for the delivery of your order.

Once your shipment has arrived at the local delivery terminal, a representative from that facility will contact you by telephone to arrange a convenient time for delivery. Upon delivery, they will carry the parcel into your home, unpack the item and remove all packaging materials.

Upon delivery, please inspect your television carefully for damage while the shipper is still present. If you discover any damage, please refuse delivery and you will receive a refund or replacement. Your signature on our carrier's delivery receipt acknowledges that you understand our return policy. After the release form has been signed, returns of televisions 27 inches and larger will not be accepted.

If you need to contact Eagle regarding your replacement shipment, you may call them at 1-800-592-7489 between the hours of 9:00 a.m. and 5:00 p.m. Pacific Time and provide them with your tracking number, which will be posted in the "Your Account" section of our web site as soon as it's available.
post #25 of 30 Old 10-24-2006, 09:04 AM

Hey guys new here i have a few questions one about Eagle. Im about to buy a 50'A2000 from Amazon when the tv is delivered will Eagle take it to the room of my choice i live in a house on the second floor or will they only take it inside of my house?

Second question if the tv breaks down before the warranty is up will repair people come out to the house to fix the set or will i have to find a way to send the set back to them?

Thanks guys.
post #26 of 30 Old 10-25-2006, 08:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Now that I'm thinking about it, wouldn't NewEgg be a great place to find an HDTV as well? I know that they're also quite reliable, since I have gotten PC software/components from them before. How's their television delivery/support service, tho? What's their return policy? The reason I ask is they're big with Sammys and Sharps as well as Amazon.

post #27 of 30 Old 11-17-2006, 09:47 AM
Advanced Member

rather go with amazon

Blu-Ray Supporter
post #28 of 30 Old 11-17-2006, 10:10 AM

Please be aware that some of the products you see on Amazon are actually from Amazon, while other products on Amazon are really from some other store, and Amazon is just the place where the store advertises the product. In the latter case, you are really dealing with the (third party) store, and not really with Amazon. Different policies apply.

Just as an example, if you look at this plasma being sold on Amazon, you will notice it says, "Ships from and sold by Target." So you are actually buying from Target, and Target will use Target's shippers, and Target's policies will apply. In this case, Amazon is really just storefront where Target sells its goods.
post #29 of 30 Old 11-17-2006, 10:46 AM
AVS Special Member

And, always remember Costco. If you are not satisfied with your product, bring it back for full refund to include tax and shipping. NO TIME LIMIT.
post #30 of 30 Old 12-01-2006, 10:21 AM

I just bought a Pioneer 5070 from Amazon and had a very positive experience. It was delivered promptly and was shipped with care via Eagle. The drivers took the TV inside to our house, took it out of the box and placed it on our TV stand, plugged it in to make sure it worked, let us inspect, etc.

Also, Amazon cut the price by $150 after I ordered the TV but before I received it, and they agreed to refund me that amount without any hassle.
Closed Thread LCD Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page