OK! Your LCD! You Tell Me! Got a new one? post it here - Page 13 - AVS Forum
First ... 11  12  13 14  15  ... Last
LCD Flat Panel Displays > OK! Your LCD! You Tell Me! Got a new one? post it here
irev210's Avatar irev210 11:20 AM 09-01-2007
Tell me the following:

1. The "Model" you have.

Sharp LC-46D82U

2. What convinced you to purchase this particular model.

It was on sale for a REALLY good price

3. What you like best about your LCD.

Sharp Quality. All the components inside are top notch!

4. What you don't like about your LCD.

I had a philips plasma before, so I miss the better contrast ratio.

5. What "Feature(s)" you wish your LCD had.

Ambilight. Down the road I am going to buy another philips display because I REALLY miss ambilight.

6. What advice or suggestion would you make to the "Manufacturer" about your LCD.

A few things.

Dont make a nice non-reflective display and then put a glass bezel around it along with super shiney black plastic around the base.

Dont put HDMI ports horizontally. That is just dumb, put them vertically so the weight of the cord is not pulling on the ports.

Copy philips and add ambilight. Ambilight sounds dumb on paper until you start using it.

Thin bezel. There is no longer a need to try to make the display look bigger than it really is. All of us want think bezel nowadays.

7. What was your biggest "Surprise" after you received your LCD.

With all the reports of clouding/banding I was nervous as could be since I ordered this unit directly from Sharp. Blacklight is absolutely PERFECT with no leakage and no clouding. I see no banding, even during calibration. Very pleased.

They sent it via AIR from California to Boston in under a week. Very impressive shipping service they use.

Sound from the built in speakers isnt 1/2 bad, which was a big surprise. Since I live in an apartment, I cant justify a nice sound system I cant crank up anyway.

8. What "Problems or Issues" have you had with your LCD.

Really no problems or issues. Everything about the display is actually perfect. Definitely needed to be calibrated though.

9. Do you really think that todays "Prices" are worth it.

From a relative perspective, I guess. The price/enjoyment ratio is definitely there. I gave up dunkin donuts coffee to justify it. After 2 years of no coffee, I will end up saving more money than if I didnt buy the TV and kept drinking coffee.

10. Any additional information that you want to add is encouraged.

I feel confident that this display will last for years to come. Still impressed with the build quality of the components inside!

RKRocha's Avatar RKRocha 07:47 PM 09-01-2007
Tell me the following:

1. The "Model" you have.

Samsung LNT3242H

It was on sale for a REALLY good price

Samsung rep for LCD. Looks damn good in my armoire!

Wish it could be bigger!!! but 32" is all that would fit!

Didnt need anything fancy or supercool for this one. Just needed an HD monitor with built in ATSC tuner. It having HDMI is nice, less cables to run from my D* H20 too it!

6. What advice or suggestion would you make to the "Manufacturer" about your LCD.

nothing to suggest from me....

How simple and nononsense it was too set up. Once I got in to the manual, yes I did RTFM, I saw that there are pretty good tweak settings if I ever want to get in to those.

No problems or issues yet...but just had it for about 4 hours now!

I paid $750 for this set. In retrospect that is a lot of money for a 32" set, but considering the relative prices of other set for similar technology I say it is worth it. This set replaces an 8yr old 27" Sony Trintron with S-video that i paid $450 back in the day. I llike this bad boy as much out of the box as I did that Sony when I first brough it home....

I think this set is a great 'entry level' set for those looking to get their feet wet in HDTV while not sacrificing quality or looks or rep with the Jones...(only a few extra dollars)
socalr6's Avatar socalr6 09:35 PM 09-01-2007
Tell me the following:

1. The "Model" you have. This my third try at an lcd. 1. Sceptre 46" 1080p. 2. Mitsu 40133 both returned.

Samsung LNT-4065 with a P8 serial# on box. Since today is 9-1-07 I don't think I could have found a "fresher" set. Every 4065 box in the back was P8. I made my sales guy at FRY's check all the 4065 boxes in back. He stood up there on the lift and read out loud the serial #'s. It so satisfied my OCD. Only 75 bucks more than best delivered on-line price from probably a shady NY dealer. This way I get 30 day return. I delivered it home standing up, not laying box down, Box fit upright in back seat of Toyota Matrix.

Best reviewed LCD and best picture and inputs. It was on sale for a REALLY good price.

Contrast ratio and black levels. Accepted 1080P on component and looks super with my XBOX360. Has 1080P VGA. 3 HDMI 1.3 inputs. Glossy screen has anti-reflective look of Pioneer Plasma's (a purple tint) I have a 200W comparable power output (about 55 watts) flourecent bulb in my Hunter ceiling fan and glare is not an issue.

This set replaces a 26" Samsung 1080i CRT 16:9 HDTV so I know good black levels. I am very picky and see nothing wrong with this set. My set has NO PILLARS, NO FLASHLIGHTS, NO CLOUDS, NO BURNED PIXELS. I must be lucky I guess. They should all be this way though and is what makes it so frustrating for so many consumers. This is my third try at LCD. The Mitsu 133 had a big flashlight in an upper corner. I had accepted the fact that ALL LCD's have uneven backlight issues and was ready to go with plasma. I took one last chance on LCD only because this set on paper delivered the goods. I was even ready to keep it if it had some light clouds or pillars. I cannot be happier with the outcome of this purchase so far. I still have to test HDMI for dropouts tonight. I'm feeling confident it will be all good at this point

For this price nothing can beat it, end.

Keep up the good work.

With all the reports of clouding and pillars I was nervous. Blacklight is absolutely PERFECT with no leakage and no clouding. I see no pillars that were reported by CNET and this forum. CNET crowned this tv Editors Pick for the best LCD despite the pillars they noticed on the test set. I'm very happy with how the XBOX360 looks. Don't have to upgrade to HDMI model. 1080p VGA is there for future add on HD-DVD and 1080p over component looks amazing so no need to run out and pick up the 360 vga cable yet.

Really no problems or issues. Everything about the display is actually perfect. Still need to test HDMI with my low priced Phillips 1080P upscaling player later tonight just to make sure.

When you wait for your price point, YES. Best to wait for at least 2 newer models in line like the 71 and 81. Price locally dropped 100 bucks since two weeks ago. 61 can be found at a real bargin now.

Good luck out there. It should not be so hard to find a flawless tv but the months of reseach just may payoff. Don't buy from online because you want to return your set. Thats what brick and mortar stores are for. Nothing beats a 30 days satisfaction guarantee return policy.
Drag'nGT's Avatar Drag'nGT 10:17 PM 09-01-2007
Tell me the following:

1. The "Model" you have.
LN-T4071

120hz, depth of black, looks, picture clarity, quality of the product, 1080p, 25,000:1 cr

The over all picture quality.

It's not as black as the 81 series but I'm gonna give the led backlighting time to progress.

I wish that I could seperately change the RGB colors to suit myself.

Keep working on the 120hz motion flow stuff. I see this odd....something, I dunno, when it's on and people are rushing around... I don't know what it's called or how to explain it. It's just something I notice. I may have the settings too high. I haven't had time to sit and read the book and the calibration thread.

Nothing yet. I had another LCD before I bought this one.

Off to the right side I see a slightly bright bar (pillar?) in comparison to the left side. It may be me since I see it on the ones we just put out at work and I see it on the 65 and 66 series as well.

Yes and no. Some TVs cost more because of the extra stuff in them and that's fine if you want to pay to have that but the rest are decently reasonable in price. Compared to the cheap TVs that you see out there, I'd pay a few hundred more for a name brand that I can trust.

If you want the high end of the LCD market, look at the Sam 65, 66, 71 & 81 series TVs or the Sony XBR4/5
dj4monie's Avatar dj4monie 02:24 AM 09-02-2007
1. The "Model" you have.

Gateway FPD2485W

Wanted an affordable HDTV ready Monitor, that would fit into the space created on my desk for monitors and be less than $600 - MISSION ACCOMPLISHED!

(2) Component Inputs, (1) S-Video Input, (1) DVI-D with HDCP support and (1) VGA... 100% HD Ready (1920x1200), HD network content looks excellent (720p) SD content looks better than many LCD TV's on the market, 2" thick! and 4 port USB 2.0 Hub built-in!

Doesn't have its own audio section (save for the menu sounds) which means I have no audio for my PS2 until I get either a better speaker system with additional inputs (Logitech Z-5500) or Creative DDTS-100 Decoder ($$$ on Ebay), not really the screen's fault.

It has everything...

Optional Side Mounted Speakers for use with other devices? They already have speak unit that mounts under the screen for use as a center channel but the way I have it on my desk, there's no room to mount it.

Picture Quality! Its a PC LCD meant for PC use, however TV via my ATI AIW 9600XT, Direct TV and MCE2005 its shocking how good it looks over VGA and with the latest ATI drivers it booted to the default resolution of the screen first time.

Nothing I didn't cause, I bumped it some how and the menu changed to Spanish..lol I changed it back no sweat...

With LCD's dropping in price almost on a weekly basis, I felt I got the best deal for the price. To get a better picture and audio tuner it would have spent around $200-300 more.

10. Any additional information that you want to add is encouraged

I would snap a picture in action but my desk is a mess....

Ah so what...

kazm899's Avatar kazm899 02:32 PM 09-02-2007
1. The "Model" you have.

sony kdl 46s3000

great price amd quality

the colour, sharpness, and quality of this set

well not much YET since i just got it, but i wish the viewing angles were as good some of the plasma tv's on the market, but they are still good

120 hr, 60 on this set is not to shabby either

add the 120 hr motion flow to all sets

the great sd quality

none yet

yes

Don't buy a very high end set that you will replace in a few years, go with a good brand ie sony, samsung, sharp, but dont gget the most expensive set/model!!
kubdibore's Avatar kubdibore 04:12 AM 09-03-2007
Tell me the following:

1. The "Model" you have.

Philips 32PFL9632D 32" Cineos, Perfect Pixel HD, Ambilight 2-Channel, 100 Hz

Saw it on Engadget, looked really good

No reflections from the screen. Depth of colour. Inputs. Size. Ambilight. Picture set-up assistant (though needed a little bit of tweaking). Looks (no B&O/Lowe, but good for a mass market product, a bit of chrome, a bit of glass and a bit of piano black).

Electronic hiss/buzz on standby. Slow startup/channel change. Having to change settings for optimal picture between DVD and SD.

Pictures settings per input automation. No electronic hiss!

The above.

The depth of colour and SD picture quality.

The electronic hiss on standby really frustrates me.

For this, with ambilight, Perfect Pixel HD, the design, the inputs, its a decent deal for £750 (wouldnt have paid full £1000+ price).

If you have £750 to spend, I think its one of the best 32" LCDs on the market. Much better than Samsung. Loads of inputs (3x HDMI), ambilight is actually really good, and future proof for the size (not Full HD). I wouldnt keep it in a bedroom because of the hiss I despise! But get a good TV reception and quality upscaling DVD player and sound system to really see its value.
Sybaris's Avatar Sybaris 03:48 PM 09-04-2007
Tell me the following:

1. The "Model" you have.

Sony KDL-32S3000

Sears had a 12 month SAC and no interest for a year.
All my other TV's are Sony
I like the bezel better than others
Excellent picture

Quality of the picture and bezel

Price

No others needed

Drop the MFRP and supply an HDMI cord

No HDMI cord

No HDMI cord. I had to find one that was 25ft long and those bastards aren't cheap.

It's expensive but an aweome picture. I'll give it a hestant "Yes".

Thoroughly impressed with the Sony quality.
cowtown's Avatar cowtown 09:01 PM 09-04-2007
Tell me the following:

1. The "Model" you have.

Viewsonic N4280P

The price for features and I already had a 37" Viewsonic I bought from Costco so the $250 uptick to "trade-in" the old TV couldn't be beat.

HD performance is very good and uhh, the price.

No discrete inputs and the remote sucks. I have programmed up my Harmony to work, it's just not that fast switching inputs.

Discrete input selection

Uhh, add discrete input selection, maybe less plasticy looking bezel.

It looks a lot bigger in the house than it does in the store.

Just the inputs, otherwise it's been great.

For this thing, yes. I paid $1250Cdn which is about $500-600cdn less than a panel with comparable features, inputs and pixels. Heck I paid $800 for my Gateway 21" LCD Monitor a year and a half ago, $1250 for a full 42" HDTV LCD is an insane price.

If you spend a little time working on the input function on your harmony it will work well, just not fast. It wouldn't be that bad for most people using this set for just HD inputs as the inputs are all next to each other so it would cycle between them pretty quick. In my case I have cable coming from an HDPVR in the basement where my main theatre is so I need the rg6 input. That being said the SD performance of this set is good, as good anyways as the 37" was and I was pretty happy with it. Aside from the larger panel allowing me to see a few more artifacts it's more than watchable.
cacat's Avatar cacat 06:39 PM 09-05-2007
Tell me the following:

1. The "Model" you have.

Samsung LN-T4042H

Read about it on the net, reliable, superb quality, The Brick sold it to me with a $400 below BestBuy prices.

Quality of the picture, finish, style.

No 1080. But for the price I paid...

Torrent client (:P)

3 years factory warranty.

The quality of the picture in SD, weight, depth size (very slim).

Tearing problem solved by firmware update.

Like the above, it's expensive but an awesome picture. I'll give it a hesitant "Yes".

Since I got the TV, the download bandwidth soared by tens of Gbs.

BenchTT's Avatar BenchTT 04:08 PM 09-08-2007
1. The "Model" you have.
Samsung LN-T4671F

Seeing it in action in the store...The xbr4 looked ok but the 71 looked amazing to us.
120hz

Can't get my oppo 981 to upconvert anything past 480. this is driving me mad. PS3 won't display 1080p just i. haven't tried Blu ray yet, dont have any movies

dvi connection

add dvi connection

how big it is. this is our first hdtv and we came from a 7 y/o 27" panasonic

none but it only has about 3 hrs of use so far.

i dont know. yes

10. Any additional information that you want to add is encouraged.[/quote]
I have no regrets as to this purchase. 3k+ was pricey but well worth it compared to other models i demoed. The 40" was so small in comparison.

Cant wait to try out the htpc thing with an internal BR player.
Bretspot's Avatar Bretspot 03:51 PM 09-10-2007
Just got a new LCD Flat Panel? Post it here ONLY. Please do not post projection models.

Tell me the following:

1. The "Model" you have.
Philips Ambilight 2 47 inch

Support for 1080p through component
Ambilight.

Ambilight

Cant figure out how to use it correctly with my stereo,
Cant turn off front speakers, and adjust sound output levels.

VGA input

More sound output features. Better remote (boy its ugly)

Picture quality is very good. Ambilight is pleasing. The remot is UGGGGLY! Cant get it to work with my stereo correctly.
The box was HUGE and couldnt fit in my car =( Cry

Stereo issues.
Video stoped working once, had to turn it off and on.
Unusuable singnal error. (lame)

They are decent. I would have liked to pay like 1500, but seriously with such a big item, how can you ask for much less?

Great TV, hopefully they will fix my sound issue in a future bios update.
TVinvestigator's Avatar TVinvestigator 04:06 PM 09-10-2007
1. The "Model" you have.
PRIMA 27" SDTV

Nothing, my mom won it at a charity.

3. What you like best about your SD.
It produces a picture.

4. What you don't like about your SD.
Everything

5. What "Feature(s)" does it include?
on/off button on TV

6. What advice or suggestion would you make to the "Manufacturer" about your SD.

(not enough room)

7. What was your biggest "Surprise" after you received your SD.

It was silver!

L8. What "Problems or Issues" have you had with your SD

It never supports HD!

Nah, they should be 10 bucks a pop.

I forgot that this thread was about LCD's! Sorry,..I feel so stupid!! I guess I'll just go back to my old dusty 27" SD...
Norms's Avatar Norms 08:22 PM 09-10-2007
1. Samsung LN-T4665F

2. Reviews and positive recommendations on this forum.

3. Very sharp picture, both SD and HD.

4. No complaints yet.

5. A true PIP, so you could watch two different channels simutaneously.

6. A high quality HD set needs a high quality remote control.

7. The SD is better than CRT. No visible glare in our sun room.

8. Have it for a week, so far, have not noticed any "problems or issues."

9. Getting more reasonable, but still a little on the expensive side.
But must remember this is a top-of-the-line set.

10. Have been researching flat panels for a year, so am very confident I purchased the very best performing possible 46" TV.
The Baron's Avatar The Baron 11:04 AM 09-11-2007
1. The "Model" you have.

Toshiba 46LX177

Had trouble deciding between Philips 47 or this. Side by side with Philips clinched it. Great black levels and very smooth motion

Features and customization.

Nothing so far

Not missing anything I can think of

More detailed disclosure of specs (No CR listed)

SD is slightly better than expected.

None so far =) I hope it stays that way

Hard to say, I had a 36 inch HD CRT before this and it was bloody expensive and heavy. I think I got my moneys worth but TV's can always be cheaper

Buying an LCD can be very frustrating, especially when you hear about problems users are having on the forum. My wife was ready to kill me due to my indecision on what to get. All I can say is take things here with a grain of salt and remember, there are only 2 times to buy....Now or Never.
schlagle's Avatar schlagle 11:58 AM 09-11-2007
1. The "Model" you have.

Sharp LC-52D82u

Reviews on this board (banding issue not withstanding) and the killer deal I got on it.

Great image, nice physical styling, plenty of inputs for me and I love the fact that I can use custom settings for each input.

The fact that the LCD controller unit was broken upon delivery. Sharp support and the company they contract for repairs have been a nightmare to deal with.

Smaller remote, or one with more universal capabilities, and they need to solve the banding issue

Fixthe banding (mine is very slight so I'm not worried) and work on your customer support

That is was broken

DOA LCD controller unit

Not yet, but if you can an amazing deal and have the spare cash then go for it

Some of the fancy features like OPC and the fast motion feature are better left turned off.
dcsmrgun's Avatar dcsmrgun 08:26 AM 09-12-2007
1. The "Model" you have.

Westinghouse LVM-37W3

Price for performance, 1080p, HDMI, 2DVI, etc.

I haven't tried a 1080p source yet, but 1080i HDNet looks GLORIOUS.

1000:1 Contrast

Dynamic 4:3 to 16:9 stretching (stretch the outer edges, leave innermost part intact for the most part, I'm not sure what the 'official' name for this is)

Bring up the contrast ratio. Put a cable management hook/route on the back of the TV to keep cables together.

That my re-certified model was FLAWLESS.

None (yet)

After watching Layer Cake in 1080i, any reservations I had disappeared. Limited HD content, however, is annoying, but will only get better as more and more shows tape in HD.

Good unit. 1000:1 contrast does make watching nighttime scenes difficult. Recertified unit from eCost showed up in a box that was mangled, but the unit was flawless. Concerned about the warranty (14 days from eCost, 90 days from Westinghouse), but that's the gamble you take with recertified equipment.
Chazcdc54's Avatar Chazcdc54 07:52 AM 09-21-2007
1. The "Model" you have.

KDL-32XBR4

Sony name - this is replacing a Sony 27" CRT. 120 hz/motion control improvements. Considered as having the one the best color engines in its class.

Excellent picture (except... see below). Superior depth and detail. Xross media bar (a little slow though). Decent set of inputs.

This is my first LCD digital set. Tuning cable channels is SLOW though the additional station data is nice. Occasional motion artifacts and other anomalies even with MotionFlow/Cinemotion engaged - making the adjustment from CRT to LCD in this area is tough for me. SD material thru cable or my TiVo is actually ok. I was prepared for worse.

Looking forward to getting my Verizon FIOS HD service and upgrading to the TiVo HD box this fall.

Wish it had the "Custom" setting that the 40"/42" XBR4/5's have. All I have is Vivid, Standard & Cinema.

Change to existing feature: Have set's speakers turn to off automatically when other inputs engaged (receiver, etc.). Now I have to remember to go in thru various menus to do this. Nice to have it all though.

Consider some design improvements. This model too conservative. Introducing the glass bevel in this size range would be great.

Two - 1. Picture/Sound, etc. settings configurable for EACH output - super! 2. I have analog cable with no box at present. The free HD digital stations that can be tuned in was news to me. Though somewhat compressed they have given me my first taste of HiDef and it is great! I'm new to LCD and digital monitors.

Major letdown - a severe "green push" particularly in Cinema mode and somewhat less so with Vivid and Standard is a real pain with B/W material and shows as green/yellow patches in shadows and darker areas of picture with color material.

It went back before one month was up. Service center agreed and found a circuit board at fault. Though supposedly now fixed I got it back yesterday and found problem same as before. Will arrange for replacement Monday as this is still an option I'm told.

* FYI: Read a technical review on-line by The HD Guru stating the XBR4/5's have significant loss in vertical resolution when using Vivid and Standard modes but NOT Cinema. THAT's depressing and annoying! Could be right though...

Not really. However, price reductions are occurring weekly. This model has already come down $200 since I bought it. I thought it was overpriced when I purchased it and it still is somewhat. Nonetheless, I found nothing else that bested it.

I may have a lemon (at present) but that should not discourage anyone from this model. I feel Sony makes a great display. Though considered a "bedroom" option for most, I'm short on space and this is my primary monitor. It's just fine.
DaddyFatStacks's Avatar DaddyFatStacks 08:15 AM 09-24-2007
1-Sharp 46 L46D92U serial 706

2- Size and features. 3 HDMI inputs and quality of the colours.

3- The size and picture on the1080p is ridiculous. Fast refresh rates while playing games is smooth and crips.

4- The speakers are weak. No PIP feature which would be convenient. Changing chanels is slow on the TV itself. I'm still waiting for my HDTV box so we will see.

5- PIP. If some of the inputs were on the side of the LCD rather then behind would be a little more convenient.

6- Not much It's one of the best Tv's on the market so far. Again Picture in Picture would have been nice.

7- How amazing it looked in a dark room with no lights.

8- None so far. It's been 3 days.

9&10- I paid a lot for this LCD. In Canada they don't sell this TV at BB any or any other big stores. Purchased this TV in a local store called Audio Video 2001 for $3700 plus I bargained to add a $500 mountable stand that rotates. A little pricey compared to U.S prices but no regrets at all yet. Let's hope I won't have any. Overall I would recommend this TV to anyone who can afford it without putting a dent in your wallet. If I didn't get a huge bonus recently I would have purchased the d82u for almost 1000$ less than the D92U.
AVclub's Avatar AVclub 02:25 PM 09-26-2007
1. The "Model" you have.
Samsung 46" LN-T4556F

I owe a great deal of thanks to this forum and others like it for educating me a bit on the important stuff. I got this particular model because it seemed to be well liked across the board.

The picture is beautiful and it ways about 1/3 of what my previous TV weighed.

I was bummed to find out that HDMI doesn't pass Surround Sound to the optical audio output.

Other than the above mentioned, I'd love to have control over the video scaling and the ability to choose other sources for the PIP besides the tuner.

I don't know enough about LCDs to give advice to thier manufacturers.

I was surprised at just how big it was. The giant, screen-filled walls of Best Buy made it seem smaller when I looked at it in the store.

So far, so good. No problems yet.

It would definitely be nice to get them cheaper, but I think I paid a decent price for mine. Knowing that product life-cycles are always getting shorter, I'd like to see companies make some legitimate attempt to extend them and give our purchases more value.

I was lured to Best Buy for my TV purchase with the promise of a 10% off coupon and "same as cash" financing offered to me via mailer. Knowing that BB was having an "HD Sale" I took my coupon in and pointed to the model I wanted. The sales person informred me that the coupon only takes the ORIGINAL price down ten percent. Since their in-store sale was already taking off 15%, I'd actually be paying more with the coupon than without. After a small bit of haggling, the only thing he did for me was lower the price by $30. I proceeded with the purchase and left the store.

An hour later, I returned with the reciept and went straight to customer service. I told the rep that I purchased a TV with this coupon I got in the mail, but I don't see it reflected on my reciept. She promptly checked the price and adjusted it to take off the additional 10% off the sale price. So my total savings was around 25% off Best Buy's inflated price.

Here's an awkwardly angled picture of my new TV with all the consoles attached:

MegaHurtz83's Avatar MegaHurtz83 10:16 AM 09-27-2007
Yay I just got a new LCD so I can post in here...

1. The "Model" you have.

Westinghouse TX-47F430S

I liked the price, especially considering the size, feature set and resolution

1080p with 4 HDMI inputs and a ton of tuning features

Seems to have quite a bit of backlight bleed from the sides. May just need some tuning. I haven't managed to get it working properly with my PC yet. Maybe I still have some work to do, but when I watch full screen video from my PC, it displays it at 4:3 resolution and it looks smooshed.

5. What "Feature(s)" you wish your LCD had.'

Can't think of any... discrete IR codes for switching the HDMI input maybe?

Fix your backlight bleed!

The number of options that I had in the menus. Everything from changing the backlight brightness to naming the inputs.

a) As mentioned, my PC is set to display full screen video on my TV. Normally (it worked with my old TV), it would take the video and scale it to fit the screen. This TV seems to scale it to 4:3, even though I am playing a 16:9 video.

b) On my old TV, when I would watch standard def content, my satellite STB would scale the image to 16:9 to fill the screen. This doesn't seem to work with the new TV, it always displays in 4:3, I can only scale the image by using the aspect button on the TV. The aspect button on the receiver doesn't work like it used to.

Absolutely. The price points on large (around 46") 1080p LCD sets and 50" 720p plasma sets are awesome right now. IMO the value right now is the best it's ever been.

Nothing at the moment.

imojo's Avatar imojo 03:00 PM 09-27-2007
1. The "Model" you have.
Sony KDL 40W3000

Picture quality and price. Also matte finish, screen and bezel, was a must in my very bright room (natural and artificial light).

Inputs, menu system, and the superb pic quality (both HD and SD). I'm not second guessing my choice at all.

Can't get my PS2 set up right, although I'm not expecting much. Also I now have an undying urge to acquire a 1080p DVD player.

Separate inputs for antenna and CATV. I'm currently only getting signal from CATV but would like to have OTA antenna too until I get satellite service.

The remote is about 3 inches too long plus see #5.

How amazing HD is since this is my first HDTV. SD quality is surprisingly good since it's downplayed for most HDTV sets on the message boards. Also not related directly to the TV but the high prices of a swivel/tilt wall mount.

None

Paying for fragile electronics is a gut-check and always feels over priced. I gave away an 8-year old Toshiba CRT to make room for this set; the old CRT was built rock solid and still worked great (for SD) while I feel an LCD TV is too fragile and am left wondering how long it will last.

Manufacturers should offer more matte finished bezels and screens. Watching the glossy 'piano' black bezels at the big box store drove me nuts. I found myself focusing more on the lights dotting the bezel than the pic. Fortunately Sony still had this great model with matte features.
expresso712's Avatar expresso712 08:45 PM 09-27-2007
1. The "Model" you have.

Sony kdl32xbr4

wanted to upgrade from the S model 26 inch i have in the bedroom - which is a Sony also - didnt have any issues with it and the picture is great - plus this new model has some good upgrades - 10 bit panel - more hdmi's etc.

the colors - features which i havnt used yet - just got it today - didnt play with the settings just yet -

price could be better but its not as bad as the larger units in price difference - lets say a 40 inch and 46 inch is a big jump in price and then the 52 is just crazy - close to 4 grand - thats alot of money for a tv - no swivel stand

cant think of any more than what this set has - a swivel stand --

add a swivel stand or at least have it as a option to purchase - lower the price a bit - and better costumer service - no one speaks english anymore - they dont know what your talking about when you call tech. 99% of the time -

i was suprised on the size - it looks much smaller in the store - i have it in my bedroom - maybe about 7 feet away and 5 feet from the bed - looks much larger than my 26 inch i replaced - just to upgrade - nothing wrong with that one either -

well nothing yet that i can see - first day using it - wish SD picture was better - but its not the TV's fault - i dont have HD box yet - i mostly use DVD -

no - i dont think so - even though the picture is great - looks - thin etc. - yes its worth it to a point - but close to 4 grand for a tv - even if its a 52 - thats alot - i paid retail in CC $1200 -- i wanted the 30 days just in case -

other brands which are very good too - some were close to $400 less - i think a $1000 would have been closer to a fair price -- $800 would be great - but thats wishful thinking - long run - i dont mind a little bit more if picture and quality is there -

so far - so good - i was worried about clouds - dead - stuck pixels etc. - from reading this forum - it helped me alot but also stopped me from getting the larger sets -
so i just upgraded my bedroom set to hold me over till i feel the prices and larger sets are improved more -

i first wanted the 46 xbr4 - but decided to hold off - and got the 32 xbr4 - i would recommend it - i dont like samsung because of the shiny screen - bezel etc. -
i think its a little bit better with blacks then the sony - but not as sharp as the sony - i think - its a matter of prefence - but i though about it because of the price - much cheaper - i am very happy with my set - i just have to learn how to use all the functions now
1William's Avatar 1William 10:51 AM 10-03-2007
1. The "Model" you have.
Sammy LNT4671F

Killer picture in HD

3D like depth in HD

None... yet, although occassionally it switches source on start, but not always. Pre- programmed macro turns TV and DTV box on, so it is not user error.

Built in backlighting

See answer #4

Yes and no. I understand the costs of making a flat panel, the high failure rate that drives up the price. Once OLED panels become mass manufactured, I expect prices for 46"+ to plummet to the sub $1,000 range. I was very fortunate in that the deal I got was extrodinary, 40% oof of average retail of $3,399 (I paid $2,100). The store made a big mistake in my favor.
jtaka1's Avatar jtaka1 12:21 PM 10-05-2007
1. The "Model" you have.
Samsung LN-T4665

Positive reviews and asthetics.

PQ with the clear screen and adjustability.

Speakers. I have a receiver and 5.1 but sometimes I just want watch the news or a sitcom without turning it on.
But I guess it's a trade off for having the speakers hidden.

None. I just watch TV and DVDs on it.

Offer a matte finish bezel (doesnt' bother me but it bothers my wife).

Was an up grade form 32" panasonic lcd. This thing was HUGE when they took it out of the box. Equally suprising is how fast it shrinks and you think I should have went bigger.

Calibrating to my liking. Some stations look perfect then others look off. Obviously, this is not the fault of the display.

9. Yes, considering I bought my Panny for $3K+ about 3 years ago.
Punamo's Avatar Punamo 10:36 AM 10-07-2007
1. The "Model" you have.
46XBR2

Price. Was looking at 46V2500 for a while and all of a sudden Sony had a private sale for my company and I got this TV for the same price of 46V2500 on Amazon at the time, so I just jumped on the deal.

Overall package. I wouldn't say any one feature stands out for me with this TV but everything put together and lack of clouding issue makes me happy

The remote. It feels cheap for a 2000+ TV.

120Hz.

Fix the clouding issues with your LCDs! I'm surprised I don't find mine with clouds on it.

DVD looks much better than expected.

None so far.

Nope. I got a decent deal but if you ask me to get it with the prices I can find now there'll be no way I'll spend this much money on this TV.

Seriously people, don't go looking for clouds if you don't notice it.
MaxDam77's Avatar MaxDam77 12:49 PM 10-09-2007
1. The "Model" you have.

Vizio VX37L

Saw the model at a store and I like the size and pq.

Quality of the picture, 2 HDMI input and PC input.

Black level, not as detailed as I wish but for the price, I can't complain.

a 3rd HDMI, label the channels

Don't know yet.

The quality of the picture in SD, 1080i and 720p

None so far

Yes, could be cheaper though

Great TV for the price

erikxczech's Avatar erikxczech 12:32 PM 10-11-2007
Tell me the following:

1. The "Model" you have.
philips 32PFL5332D
Price, looks and good reviews
SD looks really good
no PC port
no PC port
none so far
How good SD looked and how nice the set looked in my bedroom
none
absolutely not
Shaitan's Avatar Shaitan 08:44 AM 10-12-2007
1. The "Model" you have.
Samsung LN-T5271f

watching the demo 4671 LCD.

the Hi Def pic visuals quality.

The Wide stretch mode doesn`t look right with Hi Def or SD pan n scan Sat TV shows. Imho it looks more like an afterthought qualitywise.
On my Hitachi UltraVision 51", it could sense whether the Hi Def source was playing a widescreen or pan n scan, and the screen would autro adhust for that. This set can`t seem to do that.
I notice with ALL DVDs now both SD and BD, that there is always bars top and bottom of this set when viewing. Whereas on the Hitachi, some movies filled the whole screen automaticly depending on what the actual aspect ratio was.
No HDMI cable included.

The ability to set any viewing mode for any viewing material. Meaning, no greyed out settings. A better more natural looking Wide Stretch mode. Pan n scan Sat programming ain`t totally dead yet. :0)

I love this set. But, it seems more aimed at pure widescreen Hi Def DVD material viewing. Dedicated to that as apposed to a set that has been as well thought out for TV vid material viewing. Pan n scan source material on Sat. is still very much a reality these days. Allow a few more features for that area of TV viewing adjustment.
Add the ability for the set to autosense the vid source. .... and switch to that source automaticly.

Ease of box removal. And how not so easy base removal was. Lastly, size. ... and thin profile.

I think there is a small glitch with the AMP feature. Once in awhile on both BD and Sat viewing, the set seems to go into a slowmo thing. Others here on this forum have seen this as well. Turning off AMP and turning back on again fixes it. When watching a BD, you can as well fastforward a bit, this works too.

Have to say yes to this 1. Back in the day I payed more for my Hitachi UltraVision 51" set. And this Samsung crushes it.

AMP is amazing. Screen glare? I haven`t noticed any. SD DVD upconversion is sweet, Bluray is awesome. . In the Spring I am looking to get another 71 Series. Hoping for a 57 incher this time. A few niggles here n there. But overall, I am pretty happy with this set.
skizatch's Avatar skizatch 02:43 PM 10-13-2007
1. The "Model" you have.
Samsung LN-T4671F

Had a roommate who purchased the 4665F and it was in my living room for about a month before he moved out. I was going to get one for myself when I read about the 71F series with 120hz, better contrast, etc. Also, chose the 71f over the 81f and XBR4 because of sharpjunkie's comprehensive threads, and because of the price differences. Chose the 46" over the 52" for price (~$1000 difference here).

Gorgeous colors, dark darks, bright brights, no motion smearing. The TV is beautiful and makes everyone jealous: friends who come over that are otherwise convinced plasmas are the best, then saying "Wow. I think my next TV might just be an LCD." Also, the "wide stretch" mode lets me play some original XBOX games like SSX3 at proper wide screen: they render at 4:3 that is designed to be stretched to fill the TV. Oh, and ZERO dead pixels!

It's obvious that there is some kinda of processing or motion compensation going on even without anything special enabled. If I use a computer hooked up to the screen, sometimes zooming or scrolling produces a kind of jitter effect. Game Mode set to ON removes this artifact, but then the colors are not anywhere near where I want them to be. AMP is really weird for movies, so I don't use it, although it is a cool feature to show off. It's kinda cool for Halo 3 though.

A way to turn off all motion and noise filters, and just set colors to where they should be. Seems like you can only do this with "Game Mode" set to on right now, but then it's much harder to get the colors right.

Better default configuration. As it is, I had to really fiddle with the colors and every other setting. Seems like they tailor the presets to people who are going to be connecting older devices (non-HDMI), or who are not going to be spending much time setting it up. Which, from a business standpoint, makes sense, at least to a point. But it would be nice to be able to have some presets tailored to people who don't want overscan, motion processing, noise filtering, etc.

How much better my Media Center PC looked when using HDMI and configured properly, as opposed to component on my friend's 4665F with no settings adjustments.

I had some clouds and a flashlight, but I think they've faded a bit and I adjusted the brightness/color settings a little so that I don't notice them. Also, I think the menu UI is a bit sluggish (performance/responsiveness).

The 4671f, 4665f and 5265f are, but the 5271f and XBR4 are way too expensive.

Standard DVD looks like a big YouTube video now, compared to HD-DVD and Blu-ray!
Tags: Sharp Aquos Lc42d62u 42 Inch 1080p Lcd Hdtv , Sony Bravia V Series Kdl 40v2500 40 Inch Lcd Hdtv
First ... 11  12  13 14  15  ... Last

Up
Mobile  Desktop