Just got my new TV set up today, been without a good set for about 2 months after my Samsung 30" flat-screen hi-def tube died after 2.5 years. Anyways, on to the details:
1. Toshiba 42HL167
2. Price was great (Video Only sale, plus another discount because it was backordered, won't tell you final price, though, since we aren't supposed to do that in this forum); it's a 1080p set, which will match up great with my PS3 and Blu-ray movies; it's bigger than my old set (42" vs 30"), but lighter and takes up less space (LCD vs tube).
3. What I like best so far is that it's finally here (bought it almost 2 weeks ago, but the wait saved me money), and that it looks great so far. Only been using it for a few hours so far, though.
4. Only thing I don't like so far is the remote sensor seems to be a bit wonky, sometimes works, sometimes doesn't. Went back to Video Only with the remost, and it works there, so if the hard reset I'm doing right now (TV unplugged for a while) doesn't work, I'll probably need a new set
5. Well, it's brand new, so I'm still finding out what features it does have, have no idea what features I'd like it to have that it doesn't yet!
6. My advice to the manufacturer: "Keep making nice sets for a good price."
7. My biggest surprise was... not sure yet, haven't hooked up the HDMI cable to the PS3 yet, so haven't been able to check out 1080p movies yet. I guess the biggest suprise I have seen is the size, both screen and over-all. Remember, coming from a 120 pound 30" tube with a huge footprint!
Edit: OK, biggest surprise to me so far is that the built-in speakers are pretty decent.
8. Only problems have been the remote issue (above) and picture issues with the PS3 using the component cable (shadow lines scrolling bottom-to-top, but the HDMI I just got should take care of that, I hope; those lines aren't there on the TiVo or cablebox inputs, so it's not from the TV).
9. Was it worth the price? I think so. I wish I could tell you what I paid for the 1080p set, I'm so happy about it!
10. I know the contrast ratio is kind of low on this set, I guess, but so far, it's not bothering me, I think the picture looks great, so don't let that discourage you. I was watching something abput the Concorse d'elegance at Pebble Beach earlier on Discovery HD, and I thought that Ferrari F50 was going to fall onto my living room floor! Haven't noticed any of the green shadow stuff I've read about, but I've seen settings for the colors that seem to take care of it for others (search function is everyones friend).