AVS Forum banner

OK! Your LCD! You Tell Me! Got a new one? post it here

762K views 2K replies 1K participants last post by  GRIZZMEISTER 
#1 ·
Just got a new LCD Flat Panel? Post it here ONLY. Please do not post projection models.

Tell me the following:

1. The "Model" you have.

2. What convinced you to purchase this particular model.

3. What you like best about your LCD.

4. What you don't like about your LCD.

5. What "Feature(s)" you wish your LCD had.

6. What advice or suggestion would you make to the "Manufacturer" about your LCD.

7. What was your biggest "Surprise" after you received your LCD.

8. What "Problems or Issues" have you had with your LCD.

9. Do you really think that todays "Prices" are worth it.

10. Any additional information that you want to add is encouraged.

See less See more
#1,202 ·
Here is my current 40" Samsung. Decent tv for what it cost about 1.5 years ago. Only 10,000:1 dynamic contrast, but it has a decent picture. I have no complaints at all really. I also have a Samsung Blu ray player. Its pretty old now and i usually use my PS3 now because the bluray player is so slow. Samsung's "Any-net" feature does not work well when using an HDMI swticher like a AV reciever though.

This 40" will be replaced by a LN52B550 52" Samsung tomorrow afternoon. I can't wait. I got a good deal from Amazon with free shipping.

#1,203 ·
Tell me the following:

1. The "Model" you have. - Sony KDL-46S5100

2. What convinced you to purchase this particular model. - It was on sale for $778 at Walmart

3. What you like best about your LCD. - The size and picture

4. What you don't like about your LCD. - Was hoping for better looking SD content than with my 37" TV

5. What "Feature(s)" you wish your LCD had. - 120Hz or higher refresh rate

6. What advice or suggestion would you make to the "Manufacturer" about your LCD. - Not sure I like that the connections are on one certain side instead of closer to the middle but I assume that is for mounting purposes.

7. What was your biggest "Surprise" after you received your LCD. - I was surprised the owners manual was so small, useless and all around sucky.

8. What "Problems or Issues" have you had with your LCD. - It's been less than 24 hours so nothing yet.

9. Do you really think that todays "Prices" are worth it. - I was happy with my discount price but less is always better.

10. Any additional information that you want to add is encouraged. - I am just hoping I can find some calibration setttings that will make cable SD programming look better. It is very watchable but could be better. Also my model has had HDMI issue and auto dimming issue earlier this year that needed fixed with a downloaded firmware patch. I don't know for sure if I need it yet but will check. If needed the patch can be downloaded onto a usb flashdrive and inserted into the tv or if needed I read Sony was sending the flash drive out with the patch for customers.

#1,204 ·
1. The "Model" you have.

Insignia (Best Buy) NS-19E430A10 19" 720p LED TV

Was gonna buy a Samsung 19" but saw this one along side at the store with superior brightness and viewing angles, nice and thin, and $40 cheaper.

Viewing angle, brightness. Slim frame fits perfectly on my kitchen counter under the cabinets. If there was a 22" model LED, I prolly would have got that... this set is a good 1" - 2" shorter than comparable 19" LCDs

Skin colors out of the box are terrible. Need to adjust tint, etc. to get something close to natural. No bass in the speakers. The DCR function is seriously flawed, don't enable this. Adaptive Contrast is also best left off.

Better bass reproduction.

6. What advice or suggestion would you make to the "Manufacturer" about your LCD.

See #4 above.

How bad the skin tones were out of the box.

I turned on DCR and the screen immediately started dimming to almost blackness. My heart sank and I thought the TV was broken. Had to turn the power off and rush to the menu to turn DCR off.

Yes! I thought $229 for an LED TV was a good deal.

Need to adjust colors on this out of the box, or you won't be happy. I have this slaved off my DirecTV HR20 in the living room via component, so can't comment on the other inputs (HDMI, VGA)

#1,205 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcman46 /forum/post/17501077

Got my TV Saturday, not impressed with Amazon's CEVA delivery service at all.

1. Promised delivered on Friday, they never showed up, had to go to this website to find their number to call them.

2. Called me Saturday at 4pm ,told me they would be there in 45 minutes, showed up in 15.

3. One guy tried initially to carry the 52" tv into my house by himself until other guy helped him.

4. Sat it down in the middle of my living room floor, with no protection underneath to keep the dirty box off of my beige carpet.

5. Asked me if it was ok to just leave it and go, I said No, take it out of the box, put it on the stand and put it in my entertainment center.

6. They took the tv out of the box and layed it screen down on my carpet with no protection underneath and of course rug fuzz via static charge stuck to the screen a little.

7. they went to put the stand on, hammered it into the slot by hand and then had no screwdriver to put the screws in, I had to get them one.

8. now in the entertainment center, the one guy took the box with him back to the truck which i didnt know, would have preferred to kept it and then waited in the truck while it was running.

9. Other guy wanted me to sign delievery slip without even at least turning the tv on, which i did but couldnt find the source button on the remote to get proper video. Guy said he couldnt help and really needed to go, I signed and he left running out the door, lol.

Hope other people have better experiences then i did.

Location, location, location or just people?

My experience with CEVA was very positive. They put TV on the stand, inserted batteries into remote, turned TV on and even changed Demo mode to Standard. They patiently waited while I was running TVBlink test DVD checking for dead pixels and uniformity issues. After that they helped me to deal with my old CRTs, moved one from the family room to my mother in law's bedroom (she lives with us) and took another working CRT with them. Of course I tipped them, all in all, it was very pleasant, no hassles, white glove delivery.

#1,206 ·
I also had a good experience with CEVA. Driver called me two days prior to make sure someone would be at the house at a certain time. I told him to come after 4 oclock. he was at my house at about 4:45. He and his "helper" carried it right into my living room. Everything went according to schedule.

I wish I had gone bigger though

#1,207 ·
1. The "Model" you have.

Samsung LN26B460

I needed somethign smaller for the bedroom to replace the RCA 1985 19" CRT we had. I am a fan of Samsung TVs and after going to the local Best Buy, thought this was an excellent choice.

Excellent picture, great colors and the TV itself looks good.

Viewing angles. The angles are horrible but since it is a bedroom TV, and watched mostly frm bed, it is a non-issue.

1080p just because. Otherwise, it is excellent.

Improve the viewing angles. Not everyone is going to get this as a bedroom TV.

How nice it looked.

None so far.

I think this TV is competitively priced and worth the money.

Do your research, pay attention to forums and friends but in the end get what YOU think looks best to your eye.

#1,208 ·

Quote:
1. The "Model" you have.

NEC MultiSync LCD3215

Quote:

Reliability and durability.

Quote:

Excellent picture quality and matte/conservative design.

Quote:

Stand and speakers aren't included.

Quote:

Full 1080p native resolution.

Quote:

Full 1080p native resolution.

Quote:

The weight and thickness of the entire display.

Quote:

None so far. (knock on wood...)

Quote:

Absolutely, and prices are only going down.

Quote:

#1,209 ·
1. The "Model" you have.

Sony KDL-52W5100

Size and Price

Size, great picture

Nothing yet

10bit panel perhaps

Nothing yet

Stand was already attached

None so far.

Prices are definitely worth it

research research research and don't impulse buy. I know the latter part is very hard for me.
Came from a 46VL150 for the same price. So it was a no brainer. Just had to sort of force my way past the lack of WAF (wife approval factor).

#1,210 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by packetmangler /forum/post/17997283

1. The "Model" you have.

Sony KDL-52W5100

So it was a no brainer. Just had to sort of force my way past the lack of WAF (wife approval factor).

Picked up the same set last weekend to watch the Saints / Vikes game. Very glad I did and also very glad I went ahead an bought a nice audio receiver to go with it. The set speakers, well how to be nice??, are not very good.

And before anybody responds with the SOP of we buy these things for the picture I have to say that basic audio is not THAT hard to get right. My problem was a 'buzz'. After listening for a few moments it really sounded like the frame of the screen was vibrating. Went in and decreased the bass about 8 clicks and it got better. Still there somewhat but I can't give up any more bass response from the TV speakers.

Now why is this a big deal?? Because even though I had WAF she is not a big fan of being surrounded by sound!!

#1,211 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhatTooWatch /forum/post/18016877

Picked up the same set last weekend to watch the Saints / Vikes game. Very glad I did and also very glad I went ahead an bought a nice audio receiver to go with it. The set speakers, well how to be nice??, are not very good.

And before anybody responds with the SOP of we buy these things for the picture I have to say that basic audio is not THAT hard to get right. My problem was a 'buzz'. After listening for a few moments it really sounded like the frame of the screen was vibrating. Went in and decreased the bass about 8 clicks and it got better. Still there somewhat but I can't give up any more bass response from the TV speakers.

Now why is this a big deal?? Because even though I had WAF she is not a big fan of being surrounded by sound!!
So what are you using the "nice audio receiver" for? A doorstop?

#1,212 ·
1. The "Model" you have.

Sony 40z5100

Everything. I just got bought out by my warranty company for a faulty panel on my old LNT4061f, and have done nothing but research every 40" from my price range and above. I was looking at three different 120hz models that were the exact same price before this one dropped on sale to match them and I jumped on it.

The deal I got on it.

Indicator lights in the lower right hand portion of the bezel.

H.E.M.

I'm disappointed that it doesn't have a swivel stand.

No swivel stand.

No swivel stand.

Considering I got mine at cost with a price match, yes.

#1,213 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by lklrlolnlilkl /forum/post/18025341

I'm disappointed that it doesn't have a swivel stand.

No swivel stand.

No swivel stand.

People tend to underestimate the importance of a swivel stand.

I agree with you 100%.

#1,214 ·
OK! Your LCD! You Tell Me! Got a new one? post it here

Just got a new LCD Flat Panel? Post it here ONLY. Please do not post projection models.

Tell me the following:

1. The "Model" you have.

Sharp LC52-LE700UN

Positive reviews on 1080P content and gaming.

Clear picture/color on HD content. I like the menu setup. Very easy to access.

Buzzing from PSU, not as apparent on the 52 as it did on the 46.

Local Dimming/5.1 sound passthru

Move to IPS panels.

The way things jump out like a 3d effect.

None yet. The sharp tech support guy was useless though.

Yes.

#1,215 ·
1. The "Model" you have.

Just replaced a Vizio L42 with a Vizio XVT472SV

I wanted the black levels and contrast that local-dimming LED offers and got a screaming deal on this set at Sam's. Prior experience with the manufacturer (this is my 3rd Vizio set and all have performed well) played a part as well. I was also considering the Toshiba SV670U-series and LG LH90 sets, but the Vizio offered better bang for the buck.

After a bit of time playing with the settings, the image quality is excellent.

The primary controls are not on the side of the bezel, but on the back panel. I also would prefer a matte-finish bezel.

I wish the top of the stand was flat like my old L42's - I can't park my center channel speaker there any more.

None. I think Vizio is doing an outstanding job at delivering solid performance at great prices.

Did I mention the black levels? I expected some blooming, but despite all the talk about it here, it's been largely unnoticeable.

None.

Absolutely.

#1,216 ·
1. The "Model" you have.

Sceptre X46BV

I purchased the TV 10/08 and wanted the biggest TV for under $1000.

The TV has a very good picture that really pops.

The blacks on it can be very blotchy. I made that word up.

I wish the TV had a swivel stand.

Improve the blacks.

The TV has excellent sound.

I noticed about a month ago that there is a verticle line going down the left hand side of the TV. Thank god I purchased a 4 year extended warranty when I purchased the TV. I called for service and they told me they had no techs in my area so they sent me a check for about 85% of the cost of the TV. I will be replacing the TV with a Sharp 46" or 52" LCD because when I went and looked at new TVs Sharp had the best picture.

Yes.

#1,217 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhatTooWatch /forum/post/18016877

Quote:
Originally Posted by ridgefamus /forum/post/18022518

So what are you using the "nice audio receiver" for? A doorstop?

Oh no, I use it. Wife not so much. Joint viewing = coin flip!

#1,218 ·
1. The "Model" you have.

Hisense 42V68PAM

Looking for a bedroom set. Canadiantire had it on for 20% off and I have $250 in Crappy Tire money. So a 42" for $400 and change was to bad.

So far the price. PQ is nice but not on the same level as my Samsung 81F LED/LCD

They put the connections in line with the wall mounts so depending on the bracket you use there is issues with hookup.

All the features of the top of the line LCD or Plasma for the price I paid. Duh!

None.

How guilty I feel when I buy. Damn.

None.

Absolutely.

#1,219 ·
1. The "Model" you have.

Samsung UN55b8000

Latest and the Best Technology for a 55'' without Braking The Bank

3. What you like best about your LCD/LED.

Amazing Quality. Low Power Consumption. Extra Thin about 1.2 Inches.

4. What you don't like about your LCD/LED.

Everything looks good so far

5. What "Feature(s)" you wish your LCD/LED had.

I wish it was larger. They do not make a larger size yet.

6. What advice or suggestion would you make to the "Manufacturer" about your LCD/LED.

Make a larger Size one in the near future.

The TV has an amazing picture.

Nothing So far Tv Is New.

Yes Never in The mankind History technology was so advanced.Pricing are Very Affordable.

#1,220 ·
1. The "Model" you have.

Philips 52PFL5704D

Best Price for 120hz and 2ms

The size and 1080p looks great

Standard Def doesnt look as good as I think it should.

PIP

needs to show Standard def way better I would perfer to watch it on my old Philips tube tv.

The HD picture better than expected.

Ghosting and artifacts around letters. Saw some digital blur while watcing The Matix Revolutions on AMC. Thought I shouldnt see this with 120hz

Sometimes only when you find a special or sale.

This is my first HD purchase so I dont know if I am expecting too much or if I need to return the TV. Most times Im not watching shows I am judging the TV.

#1,221 ·
1. The "Model" you have.
Samsung 55b8000

Saw it on display at Best Buy and was blown away

The clarity. Also has very nice blacks for an LCD. Handles fast scenes well. The super slim profile.

Really wish it came in a 65" model. This one will go from the living room to the bedroom once samsung comes out with a bigger led LCD.

I wish it could pour me a rum and coke on the rocks, with lime

Minor, but I don't like the circular scroll on the remote. I have it on my 52a750 which I bought over a year ago, and thought they would've gotten rid of it by now.

The picture quality of standard def. Didn't expect it to look so nice.

None yet.

I do.

I've only had it one day. Watched the Laker-Blazers game on it and it looked amazing. Don't have much to add right now. Haven't tested blu-ray on it yet (just bought the LG BD390; still in the box).

#1,223 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by vegout /forum/post/8783306

1. The "Model" you have.
Sony KDL46Z5100

My b-i-l has Sony, and the price was right on this model online at Future Shop on Dec. 24th !

+ an added discount on a BD player, and an HD satellite box.

The size, clarity, 240hz, 1080/24p, PCM/Dolby Digital optical out, and HDMI connectivity -

. . . too bad a 52" was just too big

Not sure - nothing yet.

Not sure - still finding out what features it has available.

Maybe a simplified user guide on a DVD?

Finding out I had to purchase HDMI cables, and update my Bell dish with a SW44 switch.

None so far.

Yes - it's the price you have to pay to own current technology.

I am quite satisfied choosing a new Sony lcd tv, as part of my new Sony HT setup !

Very interesting post, with so many different models listed !

#1,224 ·
1. The "Model" you have.

Samsung UN40B6000 LED LCD

Picture quality was very nice. Great sale price. Free Blu-Ray player included.

Good sized set for the bedroom. Very stylish. Fantastic picture quality. Decent sound quality from internal speakers. 120hz mode is cool. Like pseudo-3D, or something.
Haven't really noticed any major input lag during gaming, so that's pretty cool, too.

Blacks tend to smear a bit against dark backgrounds, just like every other LCD I've owned. While it's not as nasty as the Westinghouse I once had, it's still a bit of an eyesore. Either that's just a quirk of LCD technology, or my eyes are ridiculously sensitive. Auto dimming is rather annoying (easily fixed via service menu, so it's a non-issue now.)

Something to stop blacks from smearing on dark backgrounds.

Fix the smearing issue! That goes out to all of you!

Hmm. It wasn't broken, I guess?

Nothing major, really. Just little annoyances that I've already mentioned.

They seem fair. Doesn't hurt to shop around, though.

Sure, the whole smearing blacks thing is a pain in my neck, but besides that I think it's a really nice set. I'm wrestling with the idea of returning the set, but I really don't know if I want to be running back and forth and going through, like, 50 sets (LCD and Plasma), when I can see every smear trail and phosphor lag trail on nearly every set out there. Especially since I really think the 6000 has a nice picture, overall. Eh, we'll see.

#1,225 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin. W /forum/post/18069052

1. The "Model" you have.

Hisense 42V68PAM

Looking for a bedroom set. Canadiantire had it on for 20% off and I have $250 in Crappy Tire money. So a 42" for $400 and change was to bad.

So far the price. PQ is nice but not on the same level as my Samsung 81F LED/LCD

They put the connections in line with the wall mounts so depending on the bracket you use there is issues with hookup.

All the features of the top of the line LCD or Plasma for the price I paid. Duh!

None.

How guilty I feel when I buy. Damn.

None.

Absolutely.

LCD also supports 1:1 and 1080p/24. Not bad.

#1,226 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by thekdog /forum/post/16681316

1. The "Model" you have. LN52B630

I was initially looking at the A550, which also has the matte screen. But when I looked at the B630 in the store, I felt the PQ was much better. Plus, the B630 has the red chin, which quickly became a must for me after I saw it in person.

3. What you like best about your LCD. The red chin!

4. What you don't like about your LCD. Video game lag maybe?

5. What "Feature(s)" you wish your LCD had. Bigger red chin.

6. What advice or suggestion would you make to the "Manufacturer" about your LCD. Bigger red chin.

7. What was your biggest "Surprise" after you received your LCD. How the PQ looked even better than I expected.

8. What "Problems or Issues" have you had with your LCD. None.

9. Do you really think that todays "Prices" are worth it. Yes.

10. Any additional information that you want to add is encouraged. If the red chin doesn't fit your room decor, change your room decor or move.

red chin- REALLY hahaha. I don't know any one who liked the CHIN