OK! Your LCD! You Tell Me! Got a new one? post it here - Page 52 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
post #1531 of 1532 Old 01-24-2015, 05:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 21
1) The "Model" you have:
Sony BRAVIA KDL-55W950B 55" Ultimate 3D Smart LED-LCD TV

2) What convinced you to purchase this particular model:
Always wanted that Sony TV in the house, highest-end available in stock at the time, through store recommendation as well.

3) What you like best about your LCD:
Size of the TV, crisp picture quality, solid connectivity options, integration with other components.

4) What you don't like about your LCD:
Black levels could be a bit deeper outside of the "sweet spot" (although the initial firmware upgrade took care of it for the most part), not a 4K UHDTV (not an XBR), "Flick" remote could actually be a bit more responsive.

5) What "Feature(s)" you wish your LCD had:
A direct settings menu button, so I wouldn't have to travel through the "Home" Screen first, those big side speakers that the X900B has (although the HT-XT1 soundstand is great for making up for it).

6) What advice or suggestion would you make to the "Manufacturer" about your LCD:
I would certainly make better panel choices depending on how high-end the TV is. LG panels for the low-end, Sharp for the mid-range, and Samsung for the high-end/XBR range would be my suggestion. Albeit the LG panel is not AS bad in the W950B as it would be in some others models.

7) What was your biggest "Surprise" after you received your LCD:
Just how thin the bezel really is on the TV, how glossy the screen is, and just how big the screen is sitting in my bedroom.
Most certainly was built with the master bedroom in mind, imo.

8) What "Problems or Issues" have you had with your LCD:
Well, the PS3 I hooked up to it worked to start, then it seemed like the PS3 must have dropped the display connection to it, and the TV was complaining about not being able to display the INPUT. Perhaps it must be a bad HDMI cable, not sure, though. Other than that, haven't noticed any uniformity or significant black level issues with this, surprisingly. Nice overall set.

9) Do you really think that today's "Prices" are worth it:
Absolutely, if one is looking for quality in their 1080p or 4K TV, you should expect to pay a little more for that quality...albeit a lot of those TVs are on great sales now that they are rounding them up and ridding themselves of the 2014 models.

10) Any additional information that you wish to add:
I know there are those "naysayer" reviewers that claim that this TV suffers from those black level and uniformity issues, and I wish to tell them, please update your firmware on the TV, it WILL make a difference. I did so, and while the screen might not have SQUID INK black, it does, however, appear darker than the "out of the box" setting before I updated it. Also, it does seem to dazzle with SDTV signals, watching some direct cable on it, I really love what quality comes forth with it. I really have nothing too negative to say about it. It's not an XBR, nor 4K UHDTV, but for a 1080p, this seems to have more pros than cons.

Living Room: Samsung UN46A750 46" ToC 1080p, Yamaha HTC-6160 AV Receiver, JBL Cinema 480 5.1 Speakers, Magnavox HDD/DVD Recorder, Scientific Atlanta Explorer 8300HD.
Master Bedroom: Sony KDL-55W950B 55" 1080p, Sony HT-XT1 Soundbar, Xbox One, Scientific Atlanta 8300HD
Basement: Toshiba 32TL515U 32" 1080p 3DTV, PlayStation 3, Xbox 360, Bose Companion II Series 2 2.1 Speakers, Panasonic DMR-EZ28 DVD Recorder
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1532 of 1532 Unread Today, 07:10 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
1. The "Model" you have.
LG 65UB9500 - 65" UHD 4K SMART 3D LED TV W/ WEBOS (Replaced Vizio XVT553SV 55" LED 1080p 240Hz Smart)

2. What convinced you to purchase this particular model.
Picture, Sound (Harmon-Kardon speakers built-in) and price point (and the fact that it's not a Vizio)

3. What you like best about your LCD.
Picture, Picture, Picture. Holy moly is this thing beautiful.

4. What you don't like about your LCD.
Not digging the "magic" remote so much. If they'd made it a little bigger with a real number pad and a few more physical buttons I'd be happier.

5. What "Feature(s)" you wish your LCD had.
The ability to output audio to headphones while still using internal speakers. My father has slight hearing loss so he bought a set of "TV Ears" wireless headphones to use when he's visiting. So far I haven't been able to get these to work and still have the audio on for everyone else.

6. What advice or suggestion would you make to the "Manufacturer" about your LCD.
Maybe add a traditional remote along with the magic remote, and a firmware fix for the audio issue above.

7. What was your biggest "Surprise" after you received your LCD.
Seamless integration to my home network, it immediately picked up my XBMC server, and it's able to play huge mkv files over WiFi without missing a beat. Additionally, the 2D-3D conversion is incredible. We watched Winter X-Games and football with it on and you really feel like you're in the action.

8. What "Problems or Issues" have you had with your LCD.
When I added some new files to my XBMC server, I had to restart the server for the TV to show the new files. Should be an option to refresh or rescan the directory.

9. Do you really think that todays "Prices" are worth it.
Prices at the new model year are outrageous. As much as a decent used car is crazy. I specifically waited until after CES 2015 to pick up a 2014 model at half the original MSRP.

10. Any additional information that you want to add is encouraged.
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Sharp Aquos Lc42d62u 42 Inch 1080p Lcd Hdtv , Sony Bravia V Series Kdl 40v2500 40 Inch Lcd Hdtv
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page