OK! Your LCD! You Tell Me! Got a new one? post it here - Page 52 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

post #1531 of 1537 Old 01-24-2015, 04:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked: 24
1) The "Model" you have:
Sony BRAVIA KDL-55W950B 55" Ultimate 3D Smart LED-LCD TV

2) What convinced you to purchase this particular model:
Always wanted that Sony TV in the house, highest-end available in stock at the time, through store recommendation as well.

3) What you like best about your LCD:
Size of the TV, crisp picture quality, solid connectivity options, integration with other components.

4) What you don't like about your LCD:
Black levels could be a bit deeper outside of the "sweet spot" (although the initial firmware upgrade took care of it for the most part), not a 4K UHDTV (not an XBR), "Flick" remote could actually be a bit more responsive.

5) What "Feature(s)" you wish your LCD had:
A direct settings menu button, so I wouldn't have to travel through the "Home" Screen first, those big side speakers that the X900B has (although the HT-XT1 soundstand is great for making up for it).

6) What advice or suggestion would you make to the "Manufacturer" about your LCD:
I would certainly make better panel choices depending on how high-end the TV is. LG panels for the low-end, Sharp for the mid-range, and Samsung for the high-end/XBR range would be my suggestion. Albeit the LG panel is not AS bad in the W950B as it would be in some others models.

7) What was your biggest "Surprise" after you received your LCD:
Just how thin the bezel really is on the TV, how glossy the screen is, and just how big the screen is sitting in my bedroom.
Most certainly was built with the master bedroom in mind, imo.

8) What "Problems or Issues" have you had with your LCD:
Well, the PS3 I hooked up to it worked to start, then it seemed like the PS3 must have dropped the display connection to it, and the TV was complaining about not being able to display the INPUT. Perhaps it must be a bad HDMI cable, not sure, though. Other than that, haven't noticed any uniformity or significant black level issues with this, surprisingly. Nice overall set.

9) Do you really think that today's "Prices" are worth it:
Absolutely, if one is looking for quality in their 1080p or 4K TV, you should expect to pay a little more for that quality...albeit a lot of those TVs are on great sales now that they are rounding them up and ridding themselves of the 2014 models.

10) Any additional information that you wish to add:
I know there are those "naysayer" reviewers that claim that this TV suffers from those black level and uniformity issues, and I wish to tell them, please update your firmware on the TV, it WILL make a difference. I did so, and while the screen might not have SQUID INK black, it does, however, appear darker than the "out of the box" setting before I updated it. Also, it does seem to dazzle with SDTV signals, watching some direct cable on it, I really love what quality comes forth with it. I really have nothing too negative to say about it. It's not an XBR, nor 4K UHDTV, but for a 1080p, this seems to have more pros than cons.

Living Room: Samsung UN46A750 46" ToC 1080p, Yamaha HTC-6160 AV Receiver, JBL Cinema 480 5.1 Speakers, Magnavox HDD/DVD Recorder, Scientific Atlanta Explorer 8300HD.
Master Bedroom: Sony KDL-55W950B 55" 1080p, Sony HT-XT1 Soundbar, Xbox One, Scientific Atlanta 8300HD
Basement: Toshiba 32TL515U 32" 1080p 3DTV, PlayStation 3, Xbox 360, Bose Companion II Series 2 2.1 Speakers, Panasonic DMR-EZ28 DVD Recorder
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1532 of 1537 Old 01-27-2015, 06:10 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
1. The "Model" you have.
LG 65UB9500 - 65" UHD 4K SMART 3D LED TV W/ WEBOS (Replaced Vizio XVT553SV 55" LED 1080p 240Hz Smart)

2. What convinced you to purchase this particular model.
Picture, Sound (Harmon-Kardon speakers built-in) and price point (and the fact that it's not a Vizio)

3. What you like best about your LCD.
Picture, Picture, Picture. Holy moly is this thing beautiful.

4. What you don't like about your LCD.
Not digging the "magic" remote so much. If they'd made it a little bigger with a real number pad and a few more physical buttons I'd be happier.

5. What "Feature(s)" you wish your LCD had.
The ability to output audio to headphones while still using internal speakers. My father has slight hearing loss so he bought a set of "TV Ears" wireless headphones to use when he's visiting. So far I haven't been able to get these to work and still have the audio on for everyone else.

6. What advice or suggestion would you make to the "Manufacturer" about your LCD.
Maybe add a traditional remote along with the magic remote, and a firmware fix for the audio issue above.

7. What was your biggest "Surprise" after you received your LCD.
Seamless integration to my home network, it immediately picked up my XBMC server, and it's able to play huge mkv files over WiFi without missing a beat. Additionally, the 2D-3D conversion is incredible. We watched Winter X-Games and football with it on and you really feel like you're in the action.

8. What "Problems or Issues" have you had with your LCD.
When I added some new files to my XBMC server, I had to restart the server for the TV to show the new files. Should be an option to refresh or rescan the directory.

9. Do you really think that todays "Prices" are worth it.
Prices at the new model year are outrageous. As much as a decent used car is crazy. I specifically waited until after CES 2015 to pick up a 2014 model at half the original MSRP.

10. Any additional information that you want to add is encouraged.
post #1533 of 1537 Old 03-23-2015, 04:27 PM

Cool

1. Sony KDL-55w800B

2. It was on sale at Futureshop and it had excellent reviews from almost every website I visited; best sub-$1000 55" LED TV I could find

3. Size, picture quality and thinness

4. There are too many settings and adjustments; I have to wait 30-40 seconds after turning on the TV before I can access the menu settings

5. I'm a beginner TV enthusiast so I'm not sure how to answer this one

6. I would suggest to make it easier to unbox the TV. I had to grip both sides of the TV fairly hard to lift it out of the styrofoam. It's only after reading the manual do I understand that this is bad for the TV.

7. The consistent picture quality

8. ECO mode seriously dims the TV and it's in a diff. part of the menu to turn off

9. Considering what you get for $1000, I think today's prices are amazing

10. Have a great day everyone!

Quote:
Originally Posted by vegout View Post
Just got a new LCD Flat Panel? Post it here ONLY. Please do not post projection models.

Tell me the following:

1. The "Model" you have.

6. What advice or suggestion would you make to the "Manufacturer" about your LCD.

post #1534 of 1537 Old 04-04-2015, 09:45 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 12
1. The "Model" you have.

Vizio E40-C2

Price

Picture

4. What you don't like about your LCD

Remote

Be able to play .mkv files and more HDMI ports

Support .mkv files.

Picture quality compared to my last TV

None

Yes

post #1535 of 1537 Old 04-09-2015, 06:38 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 11
New Samsung 65HU8550 owner here. Looks like I lost the panel lottery with a QS04, but it still looks great to my eye. And since I won't be using it for PC gaming, and I'll never know the difference anyway.
post #1536 of 1537 Old 04-10-2015, 07:29 AM

I just purchased a Element 55 inch 4K HD LED from Target...clearing them here in Canada as they are cloasing.
My issue is that when watching a hockey game, there is a treak behind the players when they are moving fast. (Just like when the Flash runs on the TV show)
What could be causing this?
Thanks all
post #1537 of 1537 Old 05-03-2015, 01:25 PM

Liked: 10
Tell me the following:

1. The "Model" you have.
Samsung UN50JU650DFXZA

I tried the HU6840 and had problems with flashlighting on the back panel so this was a newer model, had less issues in reviews. Also can rename HDMI inputs so that's also a plus.

Instant on is great, Wifi built in, and DLNA servers viewable as a source.

It doesn't support samsung's new smart remote.

I wish it supported the new samsung smart remote. Also wished that you could set favorites on the quick smart hub software like i could on the 6840. Also wish it was a true 120hz so I could get more frames out of PC games that I sometimes play on it.

Advertise it as 60hz native, quit lying to your customers about its refresh rate being 120 with Clear Motion Rates.

Didn't come with a IR remote extender.

None yet, had issues with the 6840 so I got this isntead.

Yes, I purchased a Sony LCD about 8 years ago for $300 more and it didn't have all the features that this one has.

I've tried the UN50HU6840 twice. Bought it at sam's club and had problems with the back light flash lighting in the corners. Thought it was a fluke on the first one so I returned it and got the same one. It was 55" and 100 bucks cheaper than my current UN50JU650DFXZA. But i'd rather have no problems with the TV.
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Sharp Aquos Lc42d62u 42 Inch 1080p Lcd Hdtv , Sony Bravia V Series Kdl 40v2500 40 Inch Lcd Hdtv
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page