AVS Forum banner

OK! Your LCD! You Tell Me! Got a new one? post it here

762K views 2K replies 1K participants last post by  GRIZZMEISTER 
#1 ·
Just got a new LCD Flat Panel? Post it here ONLY. Please do not post projection models.

Tell me the following:

1. The "Model" you have.

2. What convinced you to purchase this particular model.

3. What you like best about your LCD.

4. What you don't like about your LCD.

5. What "Feature(s)" you wish your LCD had.

6. What advice or suggestion would you make to the "Manufacturer" about your LCD.

7. What was your biggest "Surprise" after you received your LCD.

8. What "Problems or Issues" have you had with your LCD.

9. Do you really think that todays "Prices" are worth it.

10. Any additional information that you want to add is encouraged.

See less See more
#2 ·
Tell me the following:

1. The "Model" you have.

Sony KDL-46V251L1 (same as KDL-46V2500)

Picture quality, value and cabinet design.

Good HD sources are stunning. No reflections from the screen or bezel.

Can't skip digital channel input. SD is not bad but could be better.

1080P on VGA.

6. What advice or suggestion would you make to the "Manufacturer" about your LCD.

Add DVI or another HDMI instead of the additional S-video.

The unbelievable, film-like quality of HD broadcasts.

None.

Not really, considering the prices of computer LCD monitors.

I think it's the best value on the market right now. Futureproof (1080P) plus no worries about burn-in or green blobs.

#3 ·
1. The "Model" you have.

Westinghouse LTV-32W4

$1000 limit, Chioces on hand at BB.

Built in DVD...ok, weak I know, but this is the wife's set.

Light leakage at the corners (black screen is noticeably gray in the corners)

A "zoom" option to fill the screen when watching SD Letterbox

Seems well done.

Light weight

None, other than the corners as above

Almost.

10. Any additional information that you want to add is encouraged

#4 ·
I just purchased a Sharp LC42D62U

I was attrached to this Sharp model based on price, 1080P resolution, no reflection on screen like all LCD's and no burn in concern, 2 HMDI connections, good manuf. reputation, wonderful PQ on HD and nice PQ on SD, S Stretch mode is nice, sound is fine (wife and kids don't always like surround sound on), and I hopeful OPC feature helps change backlighting in its own from light to dark room viewing.

What I like least is the washout of color at anything over 30 degrees left or right.

Don't feel like Im missing any features at this time except for washout problem noted above.

I'd tell Sharp to use glass that does not limit viewing and for them to claim 176 degrees for this unit is almost criminal.

Prices right now are fantastic in my area on LCD/Plasma sets.

#5 ·
1. The "Model" you have.

Westinghouse LVM37-W3

Price & 1080p capability

that every HD input accepts 1080p

I wouldn't say that I don't like it but black levels could be better and 1080P via component has artifacs

Upscaling ability to 1080p

Keep up the good work!

side /back panlels are very well organized and accesible

2 power lock ups

Yes

very happy with my set. Is not a perfect set but I'm impressed with the features,price and the pristine picture quality.

#6 ·
1. The "Model" you have: Sony 40v2500

2. What convinced you to purchase this particular model: price and 1080p

3. What you like best about your LCD: great HD (wish all broadcasts were 1080)

4. What you don't like about your LCD: hard to get unit with zero backlight leakage

5. What "Feature(s)" you wish your LCD had: better blacks, but I'm not done tweaking and upgrading

6. What advice or suggestion would you make to the "Manufacturer" about your LCD: eliminate all backlight leakage

7. Biggest "Surprise" after you received your LCD: great internal scaler (480p DVDs look HD-ish). Wow!

8. What "Problems or Issues" have you had with your LCD: nothing serious

9. Do you really think that todays "Prices" are worth it: yes!

#7 ·
Excuse me... I've had a hard time finding the proper place to ask for help. Well, I am asking here, so if this is the wrong place, please forgive me and let me know.

I'm looking for a good TV for the Nintendo Wii system. The system supports widescreen (16:9) and 480p. Is 480i fine? Anything else I should know? Thanks.

Product Details

Warranty Terms - Parts 1 year limited; 2 years limited: picture tube

Warranty Terms - Labor 1 year limited; 2 years limited: picture tube

Product Height 19-3/4"

Product Width 27-1/2"

Product Weight 79 lbs.

Product Depth 19-1/2"

TV Type Tube

Screen Size 26"

Aspect Ratio 16:9

Display Type Flat digital tube

Built-In Player No

Built-In_DVR No

Digital Cable Ready No

Flat Tube Yes

Digital Capabilities SDTV

Comb Filter 3-line

Media Card Slot No

USB Slot No

Digital Convergence No

Picture-In-Picture No

HDMI Inputs No

DVI Inputs No

S-Video Inputs 1

Component Video Inputs Yes

Composite Inputs 2

RGB Inputs No

PC Inputs No

RF Antenna Input Yes

Front A/V Inputs Yes

Audio Outputs Yes

Sound Leveler Yes

V-Chip Yes

Sleep/Alarm Timer Yes

Channel Labeling Yes

Commercial Skip Function No

Remote Control Type 4-item universal glow

* Built-in ATSC and NTSC tuners for access to both digital and analog over-the-air programming. Note: Digital content, regardless of broadcast resolution, will be displayed at standard-definition (480i) screen resolution.

* ColorStream component video inputs make it easy to hook up a DVD player and optimize DVD output for stunning picture quality

* FST PURE flat tube design delivers increased viewing angles, enhanced picture linearity and reduced light reflections to produce accurate, lifelike images

#8 ·
Nice to see the LCD side get a thread like this.

1. The "Model" you have.

Sony KDL-46XBR2.

Frustration with the issues plaguing the new Sharp Aquos sets (previously owned the Sharp 46" 62u), as well as the 1080p capable VGA port and trifecta of HDMI inputs. I wanted a TV that could provide a 1080p picture that the XBox 360 would provide. The generally positive feedback didn't hurt either.

Excellent color that I've yet to see matched on another LCD. Good blacks, TONS of inputs.

"Clouding" backlighting issue when no signal is fed to a selected input. Will probably exchange it and try another one.

Not much else, really...having the inputs more accessible would be nice, as they are mostly on the back center which is hard to get to. The Sharp I owned previously had them closer to the side which I liked.

Lower the freakin' price. Yeesh.

The silver bezel, which looked TERRIBLE to me at the store, didn't look as bad once I got it in-house. Maybe because there were no nicer-looking sets surrounding it.

The 360's 1080p capabilities are NOT compatible with this monitor through the VGA port...at least right now. Whether Microsoft does/is able to fix this will likely dictate whether or not I keep the set.

On this set? Not really. I was just tired of exchanging defective Sharp panels and decided to get one that would provide all the inputs I would possibly need.

Nothing really, besides the fact that I recommend it. Stay away from it for XBox 360 gaming though unless/until Microsoft releases a fix for the 1080p problems it has with this (and other) sets.

#9 ·
. The "Model" you have.
ViewSonic N3251b 32" LCD 1366*768 resolution

Company, price versus perforamce.

Picture quality

Only 1 of each input

at least 2 component and 2 HDMI inputs

make the remote a little more like a regular TC remote. (allow the input button to scroll through available inputs instead of pulling up and list and forcing you to navigate to the one you want) Wider working angle on remote

Picture quality was better than I expected

None- everything works as advertised

For what I paid versus what I got, yes.

10. Any additional information that you want to add is encouraged
Would highly recommend unit to anyone on a tight budget and wanting a good HDTV. Has HD Tuner and NSTC tuner as well

#10 ·
1. The "Model" you have.

Samsung 4695D

1080P, one of most attractive sets IMO, swivel base, PIP, VGA input and price for performance.

Fantastic picture on good sources such as xbox 360. Just blows me away. I also see zero ghosting. Very customizable between backlight adjustments, DNIE on/off and extensive pic controls.

Black crush on bad sources (expected) and as others have mentioned on other brands there is some backlight cloudiness on all dark screen (is this just inherent to the technology?)

1:1 pixel mapping on all inputs but I dont really notice. 4 more inches would be lovely!

I honestly have zero complaints but the option to turn overscan off would be good.

I expected more problems with fast moving pictures....even my tube tv that is hd capable has that. I honestly feel i can adjust this set to settings that handle sports just beautifully. Other than the crush on average to poor sources I have not missed the "deep" blacks that are touted in plasma. I agree those are better but I am extremely pleased with the depth of the color and overall picture. I guess I acknowledged there would be tradeoffs in getting LCD over plasma...but the tradeoffs have been much less significant than I thought. I cannot imagine the picture being better...so even though it very well may be I am not sure it would make enough difference to me.

Just the slight uneven or cloudiness when on all black screens from backlight leakage but let me qualify with this: it seems to change depending on the angle I am viewing and this may be just a part of owning LCD. It is completely undetectable on normal viewing.

If you shop around I think the sale prices make it worth it. Being able to get a 1080P LCD this year for less than I could get a 720P plasma of the same size last year made the wait worth it and helps me say yes, the prices are worth it.

I really, really, really struggled between this and the Sharp unit...as well as considered plasma. Concerns over the kids "abusing" the set by leaving it on just left me uncomfortable with plasma and I really had my heart set on 1080P even if it is a psychological thing. Sure, most people may not notice the difference, but if its sticking in your mind that there is a higher resolution out there it can distract you from enjoying the set. I think I would have gone with the Sharp but I honestly could not tell the picture difference with my eyes even though it has been rated higher. Given the banding issues and the lack of swivel, vga and PIP I just felt the Samsung was the choice for me and I have zero regrets.

#11 ·
1. The "Model" you have.
Sony KDL-40S2010

HD picture quality, styling and price.

The quality of the HD picture.

The quality of the SD picture. Looks OK through the HDMI cable but not so hot using the composite or S-Video cables. My old CRT set looked much better in this respect.

More than 1 HDMI input.

The ability to call up a specific video source directly instead of cycling through all of them.

I was pleasantly surprised at how good the PC picture looked when connected to my laptop.

So far, none.

For the most part, yes. However for the average TV buyer who'd end up watching more SD than HD programming then NO.

#12 ·
Tell me the following:

1. The "Model" you have.

Sharp 52D62U

Sharp's reputation

Size to price ratio. Great colors, brightness.

Not wall mounted yet. Getting it adjusted to optimal color seemed a bit difficult. Changing channels is slow, tuner needs to be faster for surfing.

TVGOS

TVGOS. Faster tuner.

It looked HUGE in the store, at home it looks somewhat smaller. Also SD looks very good.

No real problems yet, despite others who have.

Yes

Despite the hysteria out there about these sets, mine is great so far.

#13 ·
Tell me the following:

1. The "Model" you have.

My roommate got the Philips 42" Ambilight LCD from BestBuy.

He loves ambilight and made a snap decision.

See above...

Heavy. A little bulky for a flat panel.

None.

The remote is crazy confusing. Why no input buttons?

Picture quality is excellent. Even SD if it's digital. Blown away really.

The auto-resize feature goes nuts sometimes. Pretty simple other than that.

Yes

Hadn't heard much about these panels, thought it might be pretty bad. But actually it looks great. For the everday person, black levels are fine, pq is great, xbox360 looks amazing. Great all-around set if you like the ambilight, which personally I hate.

#14 ·
1. The "Model" you have.

Vizio GV42L 42" LCD

cheapest price yet for a 42" LCD.

PQ & Black level are unbelievable!

They are as good if not BETTER then sets that cost 2 to 3 times more.

I owned Sharp/Pasnasonic/Philips/Samsung LCD/Plamsas & I can say that the Vizio is better then all of them.

MASSIVE Backlight leakage! Terrible & all over the screen, which is why I'm taking it back eventually

Nothing really, for a 720p set this has everything I need including VGA inputs & a QAM tuner.

FIX THE FREAKIN BACKLIGHT LEAKAGE.

It's unacceptable to have such huge amounts on a TV & is a dealbreaker.

Quality of the product is on par with big name brands.

Other the the backlight leakage, nothing.

yup, prices are dirt cheap on off name brands & even on older big name brand models

....no.

#15 ·
Hello everyone! I have had my LCD TV for about a year, but I am fairly new to these message boards, so here it goes...

1. The "Model" you have. SONY BRAVIA KLV-S26A10

2. What convinced you to purchase this particular model. SONY'S REPUTATION AND SOLID BUILD QUALITY

3. What you like best about your LCD. PICTURE QUALITY IS AWESOME! GOOD CONTRAST AND COLOR REPRODUCTION

4. What you don't like about your LCD. MINOR MOTION BLUR ON CERTAIN SOURCES

5. What "Feature(s)" you wish your LCD had. 2-3 HDMI INPUTS

6. What advice or suggestion would you make to the "Manufacturer" about your LCD. PRICE WAS A BIT STEEP AT THE TIME OF PURCHASE

7. What was your biggest "Surprise" after you received your LCD. AWESOME PICTURE!

8. What "Problems or Issues" have you had with your LCD. MINOR MOTION BLUR

9. Do you really think that todays "Prices" are worth it. NOW I DO, I PAID $1,700 AND THE REPLACEMENT MODELS START AT $1,500 WITH MORE "GOODIES" BUT THAT'S JUST HOW IT IS IN CE.

10. Any additional information that you want to add is encouraged. I LIVE IN A SMALLER SPACE, SO 26" WIDESCREEN FLAT PANEL WORKS JUST FINE. THE ONLY THING THAT I WISH I COULD CHANGE IS, I WOULD HAVE LIKED TO HAVE BEEN ABLE TO STEP UP TO THE BRAVIA XBR LINE, BUT THE STYLING OF THE FRONT SPEAKER HAD A MATERIAL COVER! TRY KEEPING THAT CLEAN! OF COURSE, THE CURRENT MODEL THAT REPLACED THAT XBR HAS SINCE CORRECTED THAT STYLING FLAW. ALSO, THE PRICE WAS AN ADDED $500+, THANKS TO THE USELESS ADDITION OF A CABLE CARD SLOT, ETC.

THE XBR WOULD HAVE BEEN A LITTLE BETTER SUITED TO ME BECAUSE OF THE CCFL AND GREAT CONTROL OF CALIBRATION, ETC.

-MURRAY

#16 ·
1. The "Model" you have.

Samsung LN-S4095D

Liked the picture better than others in my budget range and it has 1080p.

Picture quality, numerous inputs, and 1080p.

Black level are acceptable, but could be better.

1:1 pixel mapping and official support for PC on HDMI input.

Same answer as #5.

The SD PQ is a lot better than I expected.

The lack of calibration options for the VGA input. It's not a bug, but rather a design issue.

Yes, otherwise I wouldn't have shelled out the money. :)

#17 ·
Since you're on the 4095 - this is a very good set.

Interesting that you mentioned SD quality being good, as there are lots of comments otherwise - which turn out to be off the mark. SD quality is good if you feed it a good signal; if you feed it an overcompressed digital signal, you'll see a great example of how cable/satellite companies save bandwidth by taking information out of the picture. Many of the people commenting don't seem to understand what kind of signal they have.

In addition to the 1:1 via HDMI, it would be nice if the zoom features worked better. You can't use zoom on any digital signal, which would be useful for broadcasts letterboxed on all four sides. And the zoom isn't that smart much of the time, in that it distorts the proportions of the image. Doesn't matter all that much, and will matter less as time goes by ... but sometimes you want a full screen.

Other than that, it's very good.

See this post and the several after it for more owners comments.

#18 ·
Tell me the following:

1. The "Model" you have.

RCA / PROSCAN 32LA25T

Overall quality vs the big boys, price and fantastic warranty.

Overall great picture, colors and nice features.

Sounds quality from Detachable speakers is "OK"

Additional HDMI input.

Add additional HDMI input. Add the ability to lower the display when you remove the detachable speakers.

Ease of set-up and picture quality

None yet.

They are getting more realistic so I will say "yes"

#19 ·
1. The "Model" you have.

JVC 32" LT-32X667

Well for one thing, the special savings, the PQ over some of the other televisions in this size range, and the features behind JVC's LCD HDTVs, like split screen PIP and VGA input.

The fact that it has all the connectivity in the whole wide world, and the fact that it has both ATSC AND QAM tuners, on top of that, still waiting to see what the PQ is like in our home.

Nothing so far, this was a great investment, and if there is anything wrong, we'll tell you right after it's set up in our home, and running. Oh, and another thing, the remote control hasn't seem to have changed too much since the old CRT Tube TV days, I mean, if you're gonna have an LCD flat panel, you'd expect the remote to follow suit. On top of that, they seem to have the same old menu that they've had, too. Typical JVC features that just never want to change to the sign of the times, I guess.

Maybe DVI connection for DIGITAL PC output, but for now, VGA is fine. Outside of that, I'd have to say that JVC is one of the few brands that actually spoils you with features, can't complain about that.

I hope that JVC will actually start making their LCDs in Japan again, something made in Taiwan or Singapore, etc... may not have that same JVC quality that I've known from their old CRT tube days, if you know what I mean.

The fact that is was out of the blue that we got it in a short amount of time, and the fact that it had FREE shipping to boot, can't ask for better. BB is far better with their delivery and service since they were criticized way back when.

Well, not that I noticed yet, but if there were any dead pixels, I'd tell you right away, but outside of that, nothing seems to be wrong as far as trying to connect anything.

Oh yes, especially with a high-end brand like JVC, you'd expect this type of TV for at least $1,500 if you got it from another retailer. Then again, I'd better hope that the quality will remain with this purchase.

My only wish is that JVC could crank out an LCD that actually had true 1080p capability, even tho it won't help a 32" out, but for the larger models, keep it up!

#20 ·
1. The "Model" you have.

Vizio GV42L

Price and Costco "safety" ... Got in on the Costco special too.

HD picture quality and I can use it as a computer monitor.

30 deg or so off-axis viewing starts to wash out for dark scenes. Ok to about 45 deg for bright (football) scenes. There is a small amount of backlight leakage that I controlled by lowering the backlight setting.

Read the posts on the 42" and 46" vizio threads. I actually got a very good set and don't have any of the issues that many others have had. But, I read about the problems others have had prior to purchase. Decided that there were not any real killers and made the purchase.

1. It was perfect.

2. Power consumption was way way lower than the spec. My wattmeter shows 125 watts, which seems in line with what others are reporting. Spec was 380 watts which seems typical for this size panel

None

I think they are still high, but that will change.

Decent Manual and Remote.

#21 ·
1. Model is new Westinghouse 47" LCD Monitor.

2. What convinced you to purchase this particular model? Discussions on this forum about the eyeFi and some vague references to the Westinghouse model. I researched the BB web site and found that my local store had two in inventory. Went to check it out and the sales people had not heard of the set. Checked inventory and found two and I bought one. Price was actually $100 less than the price on the BB web site

3. What you like best about your LCD? Everything. I replaced an 18 year-old Pioneer rear projector and the difference is like going from black and white in the sixties to color.

4. What you don't like about your LCD? The remote is not all that convenient. Nested menus and slow response, mainly. The universal remote with the cable box does fine.

5. What "Feature(s)" you wish your LCD had? No issues, yet. Just plugged it in yesterday. PIP is available from the cable box, but not natively.

6. What advice or suggestion would you make to the "Manufacturer" about your LCD? Advertise.

7. What was your biggest "Surprise" after you received your LCD? Picture quality. 1080p is amazing. I looked at the Sony ($1300 more) and figured I'd give the Westy a try and if in 30 days, I had issues, I'd return it and go the extra for the Sony. Can't imagine doing that, now.

8. What "Problems or Issues" have you had with your LCD?

Set up was very easy...except that when I had it all put together, all I could get on the screen was a really red picture. No color adjustments seemed to help, so I plugged in the DVD and sure enough, picture was fine. Cable company came yesterday and changed out the HD box and it now works perfectly.

9. Do you really think that todays "Prices" are worth it? Absolutely!

10. Any additional information that you want to add is encouraged. If you have been on the fence about 1080p, or about Chinese 47" LCD screens, I say go for it! Wife said, "Why do you want a new TV?" Now she asks, why did you wait so long?

#22 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digital MCO /forum/post/0

The ability to call up a specific video source directly instead of cycling through all of them.

You Can,

Menu > External imputs > Edit Video lables > Skip > ETC

Video 1 - Skip

Video 2 - Skip

Video 3 - Skip

Video 4 - Skip

Video 5 - PS2

Video 6 - Skip

Video 7 - PC

Just use Skip for NOT In Use outputs

1. The "Model" you have.

KDL40S2010.

Was on sale.

Can point the remote at all angles and it works. The remote is Very fast, Both speakers come on at the same time when i switch channels, Channels move fast. My Samsung S4041 had all of this that i Returned.

Some motions blur, But i haven't Calibrate it yet

2 HDMI

6. What advice or suggestion would you make to the "Manufacturer" about your LCD. none

Looks like 1.1 pixel mapping

Looks like some light leakage

Not in Canada

#23 ·
1. The "Model" you have.
Sharp LC45GX6U

first 45 inch 1080p panel to come to market: but it turned out it would not accept 1080p through the AVC box: it will accept 1080p direct to the panel but you lose some features: an unsupported application that has a following

excellent PQ: rivals some of the newer 1080p panels: removeable speakers/titanium finish

if this model accepted 1080p through the AVC box, it would be near perfect! for an LCD display

see above

in the rush to bring true 1080p LCD's to market, perhaps too much emphasis was placed on cutting costs: this display proves it can be done right

did not accept 1080p direct: saw a vertical demarcation line at center of screen: learned LCD glass was 'stitched together' hence this line, which can be seen on a white screen, especially off axis: not during normal viewing

Yes: prices are coming down quickly for LCD's: but lots of troubling QC issues as well

#24 ·
1. The "Model" you have.

Sony KDL-40XBR2

Lived with a Maxent EDTV 42" plasma for over 2 years and was itching for a 1080p capable LCD/Plasma for video games. The massive amounts of inputs as well as the feature set for image processing is really great for anyone who has a wide variety of needs (DVR, X360, PS3, and the list foes on and on...).

After going to a local Sony Style store they had a $300 gift card for purchasing the XBR2, so I ended up getting a 5-year warranty for free.

X360 is simply stunning (albeit in 1080i using Component...) and the abundance of source inputs allows tons of devices to be connected without having to resort to a HDMI switcher.

X360/VGA cable is worthless is it's current form since the 1080p signal just won't jive with the KDL-40XBR2. This really isn't a knock on the Sony, but since the only real 1080p content I have comes from the X360 it does not make for a stellar out-of-box experience after spending that much money.

There's nothing with the image processing or image quality I'd change, but there are some physical things:

1.) I wish the source input connectors pointed down instead of outwards so that wall mounting the LCD would work better with low-profile mounts.

2.) A wider remote, it feels like your holding a broomstick to control an expensive TV

Make the marketing brochures more informative about the differences between models. It took 3 sales people to figure out that the only difference between the KDL-40XBR2 and KDL-XBR3 was a "polished piano black" bezel and $300...

How well the out-of-box expereince was...

A few of the people that helped me move the TV home from the store were unimpressed with the picture quality at the store. After we moved the TV in from the car I held them captive until they saw X360 on the display, and there were no doubts that the picture quality was exceptional.

The X360/VGA issue is frustrating, you'd think that Microsoft would try out their new features on some of the best and hottest displays on the market. But whatever...

This is not a cheap TV by any means, but you do get a lot of quality for the price. If you have good HD source this display really shines, but if you're mainly viewing SD source than the price can feel oversaturated.

At the store I was flip-flopping between the KDL-40XBR2 and KDL-46XBR2 for quite a while. In the end I chose the KDL-40XBR2 and am SOOOOOO glad that I did! The main difference in image quality will likely come from the source content, not from 40" vs 46"

Granted coming from a Maxent EDTV plasma just about anything would be a giant upgrade, but the out-of-box experience for this display was truly exceptional.

#25 ·
1. The "Model" you have.

Philips 42pf7621 LCD

Big LCD for a nice price with good blackness.

That the USB cant read NTFS

The size

None

Yes