Official Mitsubishi LT-46131 & LT-46231 (46" 1080p LCD) Owner / Discussion Thread - Page 10 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #271 of 3041 Old 12-29-2006, 02:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Checked these out at Diamond store the other day. Impressive features.
Only Jesus, John Wayne, Elvis and maybe Chuck Norris could get 1080P over a component connection as it is electrically impossible to transmit or receive over component connection. EEs please ridicule me.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #272 of 3041 Old 12-29-2006, 04:08 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Does anyone know why Mitsubishi does not list all the specs for the TV on their literature? or maybe I missed them....

They never mention response time, viewing angles, or show any pics of the remotes.

The first two seem odd because everyone else lists those specs.

I'm still waiting on my entertainment center to arrive so I haven't scheduled my TV delivery! I'm ready to get this TV NOW!!!!
post #273 of 3041 Old 12-29-2006, 06:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by eagles-maniac View Post

Does anyone know why Mitsubishi does not list all the specs for the TV on their literature? or maybe I missed them....

They never mention response time, viewing angles, or show any pics of the remotes.

The first two seem odd because everyone else lists those specs.

I'm still waiting on my entertainment center to arrive so I haven't scheduled my TV delivery! I'm ready to get this TV NOW!!!!

The native contrat Ratio is 1,200:1, as it was confirmed by 2 people who called Mitsubishi.
I do believe that this TV does indeed have a Dynamic contrast ratio as well. The Brillant setting seem to turn it on, but as to the contrast number, your guess is as good as mine.

Response time SHOULD be 8ms. It is the standard for every single LCD on the market right now, even off name brands. So I don't see why the Mitsu would be any different.

Viewing angles?
just compare the display model to a Sony or Sharp to tell the difference.
post #274 of 3041 Old 12-30-2006, 07:42 AM

I never noticed the line issue at the top of the picture until it was pointed out on this thread. You only notice it if you are looking for it, and not focusing on the program you are watching or game you are playing. But, like others have pointed out, once you know about it you do notice it. However, like I said before, the picture quality is awesome from HD sources (i.e. Dish HD, Blu-ray, and PS3). Don't let nit picking ruin your viewing enjoyment or stop you from considering buying this TV. I think banding and clouds would be worse.
post #275 of 3041 Old 12-30-2006, 09:45 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 311 Post(s)
Liked: 515
Quote:
Originally Posted by wtfer View Post

The native contrat Ratio is 1,200:1, as it was confirmed by 2 people who called Mitsubishi.
I do believe that this TV does indeed have a Dynamic contrast ratio as well.

Every display device has both a static and dynamic contrast ratio. From the Wikipedia article on "Contrast Ratio":
Quote:
Thus the ratio of the luminosity of the brightest and the darkest color the system is capable of producing simultaneously at any instant of time is called static contrast ratio, while the ratio of the luminosity of the brightest and the darkest color the system is capable of producing over time is called dynamic contrast ratio.

Often, if the spec only quotes one, it's the dynamic contrast ratio, because it's usually much larger.

It's all largely irrelevant specsmanship anyway. One of the references on that article had this interesting paragraph:
Quote:
To make all of this a little more concrete, let's enumerate some specimen contrast ratios. If you're reading these words, the contrast ratio of the page before you is about 80:1. If you're looking at them on your monitor, the ratio is closer to 50:1. If you go to the movies and watch a good, clean print, the ratio (given the right scene) might be 500:1.

Mike Scott (XBL: MikeHellion, PSN: MarcHellion)

"Think of the cable company as a group of terrorist (sic)." -- hookbill
post #276 of 3041 Old 12-30-2006, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob7145 View Post

Checked these out at Diamond store the other day. Impressive features.
Only Jesus, John Wayne, Elvis and maybe Chuck Norris could get 1080P over a component connection as it is electrically impossible to transmit or receive over component connection. EEs please ridicule me.

Owners of the Sharp Aquos d62 series are reporting that their sets take 1080p over component even though the specs advertise 1080i. The source is usually an updated Xbox 360 which outputs 1080p video via component. There are other CE devices that also output 1080p over component.
post #277 of 3041 Old 12-30-2006, 11:36 AM

Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1080pixel View Post

I crossed out Sony LCD after I had and returned the V2500 after 3 days. What bugged me the most was $5 dollar remote for a nearly $3000 TV. So I searched and searched... the Mits was the last one on my list.
  • Sharp - poor picture quality with the D62U series. And customer service is the worst of all the ones I called
  • Samsung (LN-S4696D) - I like the pic quality but video settings are set for all inputs not for indivdual one; inflexible PIP
  • Toshiba (47LZ196): expensive and inflexible PIP

stAll LCDs have their pluses and minuses, overall, Mits is a right choice for me based on my requirements - with how much I know about them right now.

I liked your logic. I'm still mulling over what to buy. I like the Mits color adjustment, overall picture quality , and features... espeically the IEE1394 possibilities for HD recording. On the other hand, I also like the Toshiba 47LT/LZ196 and it's color, video adjustments.

Mits is lacking on disclosing some of their sets specs. One question I have , and perhaps I missed it in the thread, is: Do the 231 and 131 share the same LCD panel? Has there been any change to the supplier so far of LCD panels? Same goes for Toshiba. Although, I think Toshiba is still Chi.
Has anyone actually gotten to compare the Mits 46131 and 46231? Has anyone compared the Mits 46131 and a Toshiba 47LX196 at the same time with a good signal source side by side? I'm tempted here to go buy the Mits 46131 at CC and then buy the Toshiba 47LX196 at another seller and road test them under my own conditions at home. I'm pretty much narrowed down to these two brands and models after 3 weeks of poring over the Sammy, Sony, and Sharp threads. Argh!
Much thanks to everyone and sharing their experiences. When I finally buy one of these I'll do the same! Actually, I already have a 3 year old Hitachi 57XWX20B RPTV. It still has a great picture, but not perfect color uniformity even after calibration and striping the CRTs. That slight red tint on the left side and slight bluish tint on the right side perturbs me when we want to watch monochrome movies on TCM from satellite. I just never really wanted a 57" screen. At least 8 - 10" more than I need at 6- 7' viewing distance. Anyone want a very large RPTV?
Thanks again for all who are posting! As Red Green would say" Remember, we're all in this together!"
post #278 of 3041 Old 12-30-2006, 01:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Dan, thanks for pointing out the Helios.
"the only" and not available in US help spring me from my own trap ha ha.
Wonder why it won't do 1080P over VGA? Missprint?
Gaming is the only reason I want 1080P and if a set will do 1080P over component (thru graphics card) would be a HUGE plus. Gonna get the Mits anyway.
Thanks again Dan.
post #279 of 3041 Old 12-30-2006, 06:02 PM

HD image size and screen size

My HD image (Time Warner digital cable box) is larger than the screen. My set is the 46231.

By this I mean, the top and bottom text and graphics that usually appear for football and basketball games is off the screen. I only see about 50% of the graphics (score/time, etc.) at the top or bottom. About 2 inches of the text or graphics appear to be truncated or beyond my view.

I am using 1080i standard.

What am I doing wrong?

Is there are horizontal or vertical image sizing menu. The only one I found is for PC output to the LT-46231.

I am using component input from the cable box to the LT-46231 inputs, e.g.: COMPONENT 1, 2 and 3 Inputs.

Any sage advice?
post #280 of 3041 Old 12-30-2006, 06:45 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Ted-T

Sounds as though you might have your cable STB (or the television) set to Zoom aspect-ratio mode--it's a mode that takes the center 16:9 shaped section of the image and blows it up to fill the screen. This is for a 4:3 image with a 16:9 picture in the middle of it, with letterboxing on the top and bottom; Zoom-mode will get rid of the sidebars and letterboxing. If Zoom-mode is turned on when the picture is actually 16:9, it'll cut off parts of the image.

What TWC system are you in (my system is TWC San Diego)? Do you know what box you're using?

post #281 of 3041 Old 12-30-2006, 07:31 PM

Time Warner, NJ

My HD cable box is a Scientific Atlanta, Explorer 3250 HD.
I did not acquire the DVR (it supports HDMI, but the SA 3250HD does not) from Time Warner as it would be too complicated for my wife to operate. Based on a 1996 AVM stroke (same as Sen. Tim Johnson), she has some deficits.
post #282 of 3041 Old 12-30-2006, 07:36 PM

A few minutes ago, I have verified that the set is operating at 1080i. (NY Giants vs. Redskins - Giants are my wife's team as I am a Jets fan.) In searching the 46231 manual (.pdf), I only see a zoom mode for 480 and for PC input, but none is shown for 1080i.

Any other thoughts folks?
post #283 of 3041 Old 12-30-2006, 07:51 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted-T View Post

In searching the 46231 manual (.pdf), I only see a zoom mode for 480 and for PC input, but none is shown for 1080i.

Any other thoughts folks?

It could possibly be the cable STB's zoom-mode that's in force. Looking at the TWC NY and NJ website, it looks like your box is probably running Pioneer's (now Aptiv Digital's) Passport "resident application". Try hitting the "#" key on your remote to change the AR-mode. (If it works, the "#" key will cycle through normal, zoom and stretch modes with repeated presses).

I haven't used a non-DVR cable STB in a 3 years, but Passport Echo on the SA8300HD will do zoom-mode for 1080i and 720p content. Images on the DTV channels are always shaped 16:9, but the contents of those images might be standard definition 4:3 images with black sidebars added by the broadcaster. If the image inside of that 4:3 box is letterboxed 16:9, there'll be black bars on all sides and being able to zoom it is useful.

What's your 5-digit zipcode? I can further narrow down your local TWC provider's website.

post #284 of 3041 Old 12-30-2006, 10:29 PM

I have DirectTV feeding a 4:3 CRT now. When I watch such show as National Geographic, I get a black bar on the top and bottom... esentially a widescreen on a 4:3 TV. The National Geo logo is the yellow vertical rectangle on the lower right of the screen WITHIN the boundary of the display area.

When I had the Sony V2500 for those few days, I couldn't get it to display the way I expected which is the same "widescreen" mode where the picture area remains the same "widescreen" aspect as on the CRT only now it's should be bigger because the TV is bigger AND that the yellow vertical Nat. Geo logo remains the same aspect. I don't care even if I still get black bars on top and bottom, as long as the aspect ratio still the same. I tried all different display mode but...

But... instead, I get distorted aspect where the face of people don't appear correct and the vertical rectangular logo now looks more squarish.

The only way to get it right was to choose a mode where there are big black bars all around the screen... resulting in a much smaller picture relative to the 46" TV screen size... not much bigger than what I used to get on the 27" CRT.

Can the Mits display according to my indicated expectation?
post #285 of 3041 Old 12-31-2006, 04:22 AM

Quote:

I have DirectTV feeding a 4:3 CRT now. When I watch such show as National Geographic, I get a black bar on the top and bottom... esentially a widescreen on a 4:3 TV. The National Geo logo is the yellow vertical rectangle on the lower right of the screen WITHIN the boundary of the display area.

When I had the Sony V2500 for those few days, I couldn't get it to display the way I expected which is the same "widescreen" mode where the picture area remains the same "widescreen" aspect as on the CRT only now it's should be bigger because the TV is bigger AND that the yellow vertical Nat. Geo logo remains the same aspect. I don't care even if I still get black bars on top and bottom, as long as the aspect ratio still the same. I tried all different display mode but...

But... instead, I get distorted aspect where the face of people don't appear correct and the vertical rectangular logo now looks more squarish.

The only way to get it right was to choose a mode where there are big black bars all around the screen... resulting in a much smaller picture relative to the 46" TV screen size... not much bigger than what I used to get on the 27" CRT.

Are you sure this is not an issue with the Direct TV receiver. Maybe you have to change a setting or switch?

Is this or has this happened with Dish Network recievers??
post #286 of 3041 Old 12-31-2006, 05:33 AM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Quote:

If you had the set-top box (STB) feeding a 4:3 aspect screen and it's now hooked up to a 16:9 aspect screen, you will have go through the box's set-up menues and set the output to a 16:9 aspect ratio.
post #287 of 3041 Old 12-31-2006, 05:42 AM

Quote:

My HD image (Time Warner digital cable box) is larger than the screen. My set is the 46231.

By this I mean, the top and bottom text and graphics that usually appear for football and basketball games is off the screen. I only see about 50% of the graphics (score/time, etc.) at the top or bottom. About 2 inches of the text or graphics appear to be truncated or beyond my view.

I am using 1080i standard.

What am I doing wrong?

Is there are horizontal or vertical image sizing menu. The only one I found is for PC output to the LT-46231.

I am using component input from the cable box to the LT-46231 inputs, e.g.: COMPONENT 1, 2 and 3 Inputs.

Any sage advice?

Ted, find the thread here on the forums for the SA3250HD box. Go through the inital set-up screens again. It's pretty easy to get to. I think you shut it off, hold down the "Guide" and "Info" buttons and turn it back on. It doesn't sound like the box is working right. It may even think your TV is a 4:3 TV, not a 16:9 set.

The Scientific Atlanta website has a user guide on the set up guide at: http://www.scientificatlanta.com/Exp...d/4003114B.pdf.

FWIW, if you want the best results, you should output DVI from the STB and set the box to "Auto-DVI" for the output.
post #288 of 3041 Old 12-31-2006, 06:48 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bresna View Post

The Scientific Atlanta website has a user guide on the set up guide at: http://www.scientificatlanta.com/Exp...d/4003114B.pdf.

Judging by the few screenshots on their website, TWC NY/NJ is using the Passport resident application on their STBs; if true, that document is not going to help him.

Ted-T, if your guide looks like this:

then your STB is running SARA and that SA manual bresna links to applies. If your guide looks something like this:

then your box is running Aptiv Digital's Passport IPG and that SA manual will only confuse you. (That shot is of Passport Echo, the DVR IPG; in non-DVR Passport, that fancy curved bezel might not be there).

A telltale difference between Passport and SARA is the legend at the bottom for the A-B-C remote buttons; in Passport it goes "A=Time, B=Theme, C=Title" and in SARA it's "A=Browse By, B=Date, C = (folded arrow symbol)".

post #289 of 3041 Old 12-31-2006, 07:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bresna View Post

If you had the set-top box (STB) feeding a 4:3 aspect screen and it's now hooked up to a 16:9 aspect screen, you will have go through the box's set-up menues and set the output to a 16:9 aspect ratio.

LOL... I didn't even think about that. I just looked at the satellite box setup menu and sure enough the 16:9 display option is there. Hard to tell the effect on 4:3 CRT so I'll wait until I get the flat-panel. Thanks.
post #290 of 3041 Old 12-31-2006, 08:02 AM

Just bought the Mits 37131 (needed to fit it in a cabinet)...very nice PQ and features.

Looking for Help...Is it possible to program the remote to Power On/Off to control the TV and the TWC STB?

I have it set up to control power when the particular device is selected...I just want to power off the both units with one button push.

Any help appreciated!!
post #291 of 3041 Old 12-31-2006, 10:36 AM

What's the best way to connect the xbox 360 to this TV if I'm using it for games and the HD player? I'm assuming component and setting it to 1080i? There really isn't another option now is there??

I just bought PS3 so that will hookup via HDMI.
post #292 of 3041 Old 12-31-2006, 10:58 AM

Re: Time Warner and Scientific Atlanta.

Thanks for the pointers.

I've downloaded the manuals and I'll play with the settings over the "long" weekend.
post #293 of 3041 Old 12-31-2006, 11:43 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Re: Time Warner and Scientific Atlanta.

Thanks for the pointers.

I've downloaded the manuals and I'll play with the settings over the "long" weekend.

Make sure that your box isn't running Passport before using that downloaded manual; you'll save yourself a lot of frustration. Passport, for instance, does not have a "Setup Wizard".

post #294 of 3041 Old 12-31-2006, 04:03 PM

just bought one (231) at tweeter. incredible in store special price.(Better than home Theater website) Seems great so far. the only rhing I noticed so far is a 3-5 second lag from when you press the channel changer to when it changes.
post #295 of 3041 Old 12-31-2006, 05:22 PM

Has anyone visited this site:

http://www.hdtvguru.com/

Any opinions or thoughts?
post #296 of 3041 Old 12-31-2006, 07:01 PM

Quote:

Has anyone visited this site:

http://www.hdtvguru.com/

Any opinions or thoughts?

There's a lot of writing on that webpage, none of it directly referencing the Mitsu LT-46X31 LCD TV.

What in particular did you want an opinion on with relation to the LT-46X31 TV?
post #297 of 3041 Old 01-01-2007, 04:52 AM

Just a passing note:

http://www.hdtvreview.com/

Most Popular HDTVs (last 7 days)
post #298 of 3041 Old 01-01-2007, 05:04 AM

I just got my Mitsubishi LT-46131 at the special ?circuitCity pricing that ended on the 30th. I just had basic cable with ant STB's before and Comcast cannot upgrade me to digital or HD until Tuesday. So I have been stuck with SD. The SD PQ seems to vcary widely. Some iswatchable, but bad. I watched the Packers-Bears game and some of it seemed to approach what I would consider HD quality, so if HD will be better than that I will be very happy.

What is truly amazing is hitching it to my PC. To see my desktop and whatever at 1900 by 1080 in full screen is just unbelievable. I haven't tried any fast moving games so I do not know about fast motion blur yet but I only like turn based ones anyway.

What I need some help on is audio. Right now sound just comes out of the Mits system which I think most acknowledge is not one of its better features.

I need to know what kind of digital audio cable to get to output sound to my THX 400 watt Logitech Z-5500 5.1 speaker system. It takes Dolby Digital and PCM digital through either a digital coax or an optical input jack. It does not have an input jack that looks like an RCA one.

I want to use the digital audio out jack which is located near the antenna inputs. but my Mit is already mounted on the wall and it is difficult to see exactly what kind of jacks they are and the manual is not helpful. It looks like it takes an RCA shaped plug

I tried to insert a combo Radio Shack digital audio/Toslink cable which has swiveling plugs at both ends but neither plug fit the Mit jack.

Anyone know what kind of cable I can use?
post #299 of 3041 Old 01-01-2007, 06:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TambourineMan View Post

I just got my Mitsubishi LT-46131 at the special ?circuitCity pricing that ended on the 30th. I just had basic cable with ant STB's before and Comcast cannot upgrade me to digital or HD until Tuesday. So I have been stuck with SD. The SD PQ seems to vcary widely. Some iswatchable, but bad. I watched the Packers-Bears game and some of it seemed to approach what I would consider HD quality, so if HD will be better than that I will be very happy.

What is truly amazing is hitching it to my PC. To see my desktop and whatever at 1900 by 1080 in full screen is just unbelievable. I haven't tried any fast moving games so I do not know about fast motion blur yet but I only like turn based ones anyway.

What I need some help on is audio. Right now sound just comes out of the Mits system which I think most acknowledge is not one of its better features.

I need to know what kind of digital audio cable to get to output sound to my THX 400 watt Logitech Z-5500 5.1 speaker system. It takes Dolby Digital and PCM digital through either a digital coax or an optical input jack. It does not have an input jack that looks like an RCA one.

I want to use the digital audio out jack which is located near the antenna inputs. but my Mit is already mounted on the wall and it is difficult to see exactly what kind of jacks they are and the manual is not helpful. It looks like it takes an RCA shaped plug

I tried to insert a combo Radio Shack digital audio/Toslink cable which has swiveling plugs at both ends but neither plug fit the Mit jack.

Anyone know what kind of cable I can use?

It takes a digital coaxial cable... widely available! Yes, it looks like an RCA plug, but make sure the packaging says digital coax!!!!
post #300 of 3041 Old 01-01-2007, 09:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TambourineMan View Post

I just got my Mitsubishi LT-46131 at the special ?circuitCity pricing that ended on the 30th. I just had basic cable with ant STB's before and Comcast cannot upgrade me to digital or HD until Tuesday. So I have been stuck with SD.

Why are you stuck with SD? Almost every cable system I've heard about has the all of the network's HD feeds unencrypted on their cable. Just run the coax straight into the TV and do a channel search. If it's like most everyone else's cable system, after about 15 minutes, you should have NBC, ABC, CBS, FOX and PBS all coming into your new Mitsu in glorious HD.
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Mitsubishi , Mitsubishi Diamond Series 46 Inch Led Edge Lit Lcd Hdtv Lt46265
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page