Official Mitsubishi LT-46131 & LT-46231 (46" 1080p LCD) Owner / Discussion Thread - Page 102 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #3031 of 3041 Old 03-17-2013, 01:13 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by PNWReid View Post

I haven't posted here in years, because I haven't had a problem with my LT-46231 in years. Then, a couple of weeks ago, I moved to a new home. My LT-46231 won't power on. Nothing, nada. No blue light even. I took the back off the TV and visually inspected the boards, I see no bulging caps, or anything that looks blown or burned. I've tried the System Reset switch and Format & Input buttons. I've tried the TV in different power outlets. I Googled but haven't come up with anything. Is there something else I can try or look for? Any help is appreciated.

Thanks!

Reid

My 131 has taken to powering off and resetting itself (flashing blue lights) when I bump it or swivel the stand. Sounds like yours might be a worse case where it might have got bumped during the move and isn't powering back on at all. No idea whats causing it but its probably something to do with those darn caps on the board.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3032 of 3041 Old 04-07-2013, 08:20 PM

Liked: 10
Minimum problems for many years and a long time since I have posted. New problem I haven't seen before. Used Comcast with a cable card for years, but not frequently since we primarily use a TiVo through the HDMI. Recently tried using the TV with the cable card and there were no channels. Wasted time on the phone with Comcast but I now think the Digital Tuner is out on the set. Without the cable card it should scan unencrypted (OTA) channels and doesn't. The same cable plays fine through a cable box via the second HDMI. Scanning the Antenna it only picks up a couple analogue channels poorly. Nothing digital. Does anyone know if there is a digital tuner card or module, and if so what the part number is? Actually a cable box would add the on Demand features, but I would like to keep the set 100% capable if I could fix the tuner. Hope some of you experts are still monitoring this forum!
post #3033 of 3041 Old 07-30-2013, 06:47 AM

Well... Back again after a long delay. Finally got around to doing a new firmware update. Hoping that will resolve the TV Guide reminder from constantly popping up. After screaming at tech support, demanding that they send me the firmware, and waiting weeks for it, it was all for naught. Did not help. Guide reminder keeps coming up, reminding me that I have not configured it. Annoying!

Now for a new set of problems. Switched cable providers. From WOW to Time Warner. Wanted to continue using a cable card. But that did not happen in the end. After several attempts with them, cablecard did not give me all the channels I signed up for. They claim that, unlike WOW, they provide TOO MANY channels for the cablecard to handle. SO only a limited number come through. They claim is has something to do with the broadcast frequencies and the card can only accept a certain range. Sounds like BS, but in the end, hooked up a cable box and the picture seems to look even better now on this old TV.

Another thing. Does anyone know how to rename a device in the Input Selection Menu? I no longer have a DVD player connected to one of my HDMI inputs. My AV reciever is connected to that now, and DVD, cable box, etc, is connected to the reciever. Should be a simple thing, but Net Command/Input name does not display that selection.

Thanks again for the replies.

Roman.
post #3034 of 3041 Old 07-30-2013, 11:04 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 22
For those in the future with the red and/or green line issue, here is a link to the thread discussing the matter. http://www.avsforum.com/t/1222751/samsung-panels-in-mitsubishi-tvs
post #3035 of 3041 Old 07-30-2013, 04:12 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 159 Post(s)
Liked: 472
Quote:
Originally Posted by juryman View Post

Now for a new set of problems. Switched cable providers. From WOW to Time Warner. Wanted to continue using a cable card. But that did not happen in the end. After several attempts with them, cablecard did not give me all the channels I signed up for. They claim that, unlike WOW, they provide TOO MANY channels for the cablecard to handle. SO only a limited number come through. They claim is has something to do with the broadcast frequencies and the card can only accept a certain range. Sounds like BS, but in the end, hooked up a cable box and the picture seems to look even better now on this old TV.

Not BS. It's a system called Switched Digital Video. To get the most bang out of the bandwidth on their systems, cable providers only place some of the less frequently used channels on the network segment running through your neighborhood if people are watching them. If a switched channel's not there when someone ask for it, they allocate bandwidth for it and place it on the wire. The problem is that the QAM frequency of the transport stream containing the channel and program number within that stream will change every time it gets put up on a network segment. When a tuner wants such a channel it sends a message to the cable system asking for it and the cable system sends it back the information required to tune it. A use count is maintained for each switched channel and when it drops to zero the system is free to tear down that channel and use the bandwidth for something else. CableCARD is a unidirectional system; CC tuners cannot talk to the cable system to make these requests.

To support CableCARDs on SDV systems, CableLabs came up with a device called a Tuning Adapter. These devices connect to CableCARD hosts via USB; the hosts send their channel requests to the TA over USB, the TA forwards the request to the cable system which sends the tuning information to the TA on the cable, and the TA passes it to the host over USB. Of course, like the copy protection systems used on the cable, SDV protocols are not standard, so Cisco cable systems and Motorola systems use different protocols and require TAs which know those protocols. I believe that thus far no cable systems have had the temerity to charge anyone for the use of TAs.

I think that only retail CableCARD DVRs like TiVo and CableCARD PC tuner card software have the ability to use Tuning Adapters. Obviously other CableCARD devices like televisions would need firmware updates to deal with TAs and none of them are readily upgradeable; AFAIK none of them has developed TA compatibility. I have a TA for my TiVo Premiere on Cox San Diego South. Recently it went belly up and until I got it replaced I couldn't tune channels like A&E, Lifetime, SyFy, Tennis, etc.

There's also a possibility that WOW upgraded their system from a 750 MHz to a 1 GHz one (Cox did that too) and placed some channels in bandwidth up above 750 and that the Mits' tuner can't get to them, or some combination of both (like Cox, though I don't think that they're using the extra bandwidth for video).

Mike Scott (XBL: MikeHellion, PSN: MarcHellion)

"Think of the cable company as a group of terrorist (sic)." -- hookbill
post #3036 of 3041 Old 07-31-2013, 12:56 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by juryman View Post

Well... Back again after a long delay. Finally got around to doing a new firmware update. Hoping that will resolve the TV Guide reminder from constantly popping up. After screaming at tech support, demanding that they send me the firmware, and waiting weeks for it, it was all for naught. Did not help. Guide reminder keeps coming up, reminding me that I have not configured it. Annoying!

When something keeps claiming that it hasn't been configured (after power has been cycled), I start to suspect an expired button battery somewhere, but I'm not aware of these sets having anything like that. Some devices have a capacitor that provides power to retain settings, but I think these units have some type of non-volatile memory. Could that have failed? It's just a thought. And I assume that you have done a factory reset already.
post #3037 of 3041 Old 07-31-2013, 01:33 PM

Just checked the forums and saw this post.

I have nearly the same setup, and had the same problem as you. I thought the cable card went out, and got a couple of replacements, then a visit from a Comcast tech, with no success. Further investigation up the chain (all the way to a team that sounded like they knew what they were talking about) finally led to an answer. It seems that (at least in my region) Comcast changed the equipment on their headend that was incompatible with the older single-stream cards I was using. (This was part of their move to encrypt more channels, including the previously unencrypted network channels.)

Earlier problems I dealt with years ago revealed that this set was only compatible with single-stream cards. Since the newer (and multi-stream only) cards that Comcast now supports don't work with this set, I basically gave up.

You can probably test if your tuner is OK by connecting an over-the-air antenna. But I'm guessing that your tuner isn't the problem in this case.

- Mitch

Quote:
Originally Posted by holligl View Post

Minimum problems for many years and a long time since I have posted. New problem I haven't seen before. Used Comcast with a cable card for years, but not frequently since we primarily use a TiVo through the HDMI. Recently tried using the TV with the cable card and there were no channels. Wasted time on the phone with Comcast but I now think the Digital Tuner is out on the set. Without the cable card it should scan unencrypted (OTA) channels and doesn't. The same cable plays fine through a cable box via the second HDMI. Scanning the Antenna it only picks up a couple analogue channels poorly. Nothing digital. Does anyone know if there is a digital tuner card or module, and if so what the part number is? Actually a cable box would add the on Demand features, but I would like to keep the set 100% capable if I could fix the tuner. Hope some of you experts are still monitoring this forum!
post #3038 of 3041 Old 08-01-2013, 03:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yawitz View Post

Just checked the forums and saw this post.

I have nearly the same setup, and had the same problem as you. I thought the cable card went out, and got a couple of replacements, then a visit from a Comcast tech, with no success. Further investigation up the chain (all the way to a team that sounded like they knew what they were talking about) finally led to an answer. It seems that (at least in my region) Comcast changed the equipment on their headend that was incompatible with the older single-stream cards I was using. (This was part of their move to encrypt more channels, including the previously unencrypted network channels.)

Earlier problems I dealt with years ago revealed that this set was only compatible with single-stream cards. Since the newer (and multi-stream only) cards that Comcast now supports don't work with this set, I basically gave up.

You can probably test if your tuner is OK by connecting an over-the-air antenna. But I'm guessing that your tuner isn't the problem in this case.

- Mitch
I thought I had the antenna hooked up, and did not get any digital channels when scanned. I did not confirm the antenna feed with a different device though. When your cable card quit, was it all channels or just some channels?

Have moved on with the cable box and on demand. Maybe approaching time for an upgrade. Just waiting for the power module to go. It occasionally powers off on its own.
post #3039 of 3041 Old 09-08-2013, 11:22 AM

When I plug the TV into the wall, the blue light will continue to blink. When I try to turn the TV on, the blue light will turn solid and then shut off, and then the red light for status will stay on.

I held down input and menu and got a fault code of 27.

Anybody ever have this problem?
post #3040 of 3041 Old 12-16-2013, 08:35 AM

I now have the continuous blinking blue LED when power is applied to my 46231. The circuit breaker blew just prior to this from 2 space heaters being plugged into the same circuit. Not sure if that caused it or not. Cannot get the TV to turn on. DM board? Starting research now.
post #3041 of 3041 Old 02-16-2014, 01:49 PM

"I held down input and menu and got a fault code of 27."

From the Service Manual:

Error Codes
The Error Code designations are listed in the following chart:

Error Code -- Description -- Most Likely Cause
12 -- No error detected since last Power On. -- PWB-POWER
27 -- Inverter short is detected. -- PWB-INV 1-4 or LCD-MODULE
48 -- LCD Short is detected. -- LCD-MODULE
58 -- Signal Short is detected -- PWB-SIGNAL
59 -- DM short is detected -- PWB-DM

The service manual is available here:
http://elektrotanya.com/mitsubishi_lt37131_lt37132_lt46131_lt46231_ch_vlp33_vlp33plus_sm.pdf/download.html
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Mitsubishi , Mitsubishi Diamond Series 46 Inch Led Edge Lit Lcd Hdtv Lt46265
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page