Official Mitsubishi LT-46131 & LT-46231 (46" 1080p LCD) Owner / Discussion Thread - Page 4 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #91 of 3041 Old 12-10-2006, 11:14 PM
eja

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
There is a soft buzz/hum that I assume comes from the backlight...it is pretty quiet and I can only hear it if I'm right next to the screen. That doesn't bother me, and actually it is probably quieter than the CRT it replaced.

The other noise sounds like a family of crickets, and it seems to be localized to the power supply (I guess, since it is where the power cable enters the set). It also reminds me of the fan belt on my '77 Plymouth...ugh... Oh well, hopefully this can get fixed, and it isn't typical.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 3041 Old 12-10-2006, 11:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Ok guys I was wrong. I got one of my firedog installers to let me borrow his spyder calibration kit along with an Avia Setup disc, and boy was I in for a surprise. The settings that I came up with using my naked eye was quite a bit off compared to the test equipment. My Mitsu now looks even better. Try these settings and tell me what you think (I was told that your results may differ slightly depending on your source, I use TimeWarner HD Cable). This calibration was done in home. Seattlite, try these settings if you haven't given up yet. Keep in mind that other televisions in stores have their brightness turned way up (including the Sony XBR) for that wow factor.

Settings:

Color Temp: High
Setting: Brilliant
Sharpness: 36
Tint: 31
Color: 31
Brightness: 31
Contrast: 55
Backlight: 52
Video Noise: Low

These settings above are actually not too far from the tv's default settings.

Perfect Color:

Magenta: 31
Red: 31
Yellow: 31
Green: 22 (It was determined the greens were too neon before calibration)
Cyan: 35 (Helps with the appearance of water and the sky)
Blue: 28

After Calibration please turn your television off for 30 seconds and the turn it back on. This gives your eyes time to adjust to the new settings. Let me know what you think.

Making the most out of what I got.
post #93 of 3041 Old 12-11-2006, 05:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by R11 View Post

Not only the different, wider spectrum backlight. But I believe I read that the panels themselves are sourced from different manufacturers as well.

I thought that it had been pretty much confirmed that the 37" Mitsubishi was using the same panel as the Sharp 1080p 37".

So, who's making the 46" panel, then?
post #94 of 3041 Old 12-11-2006, 06:43 AM

Two notes from a 46231 owner....there should not be any buzzing noise (mine is completely silent while watching, except when it boots after you plug it in and then there is a little click), and the panels are made by Samsung.
post #95 of 3041 Old 12-11-2006, 07:10 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by eja View Post

There is a soft buzz/hum that I assume comes from the backlight...it is pretty quiet and I can only hear it if I'm right next to the screen. That doesn't bother me, and actually it is probably quieter than the CRT it replaced.

The other noise sounds like a family of crickets, and it seems to be localized to the power supply (I guess, since it is where the power cable enters the set). It also reminds me of the fan belt on my '77 Plymouth...ugh... Oh well, hopefully this can get fixed, and it isn't typical.

Probably a bad cooling fan.
post #96 of 3041 Old 12-11-2006, 07:46 AM
Advanced Member

I checked out the 46131 at CC last night, beautiful! I thought it had the best picture of any TV in the store. It still had motion blur though But all the sets did so maybe it was just the crappy feed. The in store price was $100 less than the internet price, tempting.

Asked the sales kid if the TV could control my Mitsu D-VCR through the fire wire inputs, he said he had never heard of D-VCR's before but he would go ask the stores expert "tech guru" about it. He came back and said his expert had never hear of them either and that I must be talking about DVR's, not VCR's. He then told me if I wanted to record HD I should be using a DVD recorder

I left it at that because I didn't have time to educate the stores staff on what a D-VCR was and that a DVD recorder can't record HD. Later I checked the online manual and found that the TV will control and schedule timed recordings through the fire wire inputs to D-VCR's , now this set is very tempting.
post #97 of 3041 Old 12-11-2006, 10:26 AM

I'm starting to see the LT-46132 on a few sites. Looks like an all-black version of the 46131.

Z

Edit: Oops, sorry, it's listed as the 46132 on the New Connection (aka Foto Connection) site at the same price as the 46131, but appears to really be the 46231. Tempting at that price, but after reading the reviews of those stores I'll pass.
post #98 of 3041 Old 12-11-2006, 10:54 AM
Advanced Member

Just picked up a 46131 on the CC web site, 5 hour special, best price yet. Hope I can get a cable card to work.
post #99 of 3041 Old 12-11-2006, 11:31 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bresna View Post

Just as in "right now"? Currently, it's the same price as it was last night.

When I ordered mine a couple of hours ago there was a coupon code you could apply at checkout, a substantial amount.
post #100 of 3041 Old 12-11-2006, 11:34 AM
Advanced Member

Just checked and its still there, 5 hours only, don't know when it started.
post #101 of 3041 Old 12-11-2006, 11:35 AM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by eric102 View Post

When I ordered mine a couple of hours ago there was a coupon code you could apply at checkout, a substantial amount.

Thanks. I see it now. Quite the deal. I am now a new owner.

Sorry Pioneer. I wanted that plasma, but I've decided to leave 4:3 pillar-boxed.
post #102 of 3041 Old 12-11-2006, 03:17 PM

Does LT46131 have PC connection port(VGA)?
post #103 of 3041 Old 12-11-2006, 03:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by kwatch View Post

Does LT46131 have PC connection port(VGA)?

It has DVI-I
which accepts both analog & digital inputs.

I assume that would mean it would accept a VGA to DVI cable!?
post #104 of 3041 Old 12-11-2006, 05:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wtfer View Post

It has DVI-I
which accepts both analog & digital inputs.

I assume that would mean it would accept a VGA to DVI cable!?

It should accept it but according to the manual you would be limiited to 1280x720 with an analog connection. Good news is that it does a great job of scaling up.
post #105 of 3041 Old 12-11-2006, 06:47 PM

Just got the phone call today... my 231 will be delivered tomorrow afternoon!

And to think... I almost got a XBR2. Gotta love these forums!
post #106 of 3041 Old 12-11-2006, 06:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grouter71 View Post

Just got the phone call today... my 231 will be delivered tomorrow afternoon!

And to think... I almost got a XBR2. Gotta love these forums!

Where did you order your set from?

Thanks
Wes
post #107 of 3041 Old 12-12-2006, 12:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wesleydma View Post

Where did you order your set from?

Thanks
Wes

Home Theater Store here in Dallas, but they have stores elsewhere
and a website.

It's on sale for an incredible price!

Now I need to take the day off work and get a wider TV stand.
post #108 of 3041 Old 12-12-2006, 06:57 AM

Is it just me, or does it seem like the "educated buyers", and those that really care more about getting the best possible picture, are choosing the Mitsubishi over any other brand? I've been reading all different posts while I was researching for my decision and all the other brands has its downfall in one respect or another. I think some people are just buying for the name and not really looking at the quality of the picture. I've been amazed at how many different ways I can adjust my LT-46231 picture and how you can really tune in for the right mood for sports, movies, discovery channel, etc. My only problem is finding the calibration setting that fits all so I don't have to play with the remote everytime and drive my wife nuts while we watch a program. LRSTEVENS your settings are really close! I'm hopefully going to my dealer after work to grab theirs as well.
post #109 of 3041 Old 12-12-2006, 08:21 AM
Advanced Member

CC's 5 hour deal on the 46131 is on again today.
post #110 of 3041 Old 12-12-2006, 09:33 AM

I bought a 131 from CC yesterday with the 5 hour deal and coupon. Still in the process of getting things connected. I don't have my OTA antenna cable there yet. Do have a cable connection and it didn't pick up most of my unencrypted QAM channels, but I have a few things to check on my end.

Hooked up the PVR running BeyondTV to it and watched a few shows last night. Looks very nice but I see a bit of graininess in the signal. There may be something not right with the connection though. I set the ATI card to 1920x1080 30Hz and the 131 kept giving me an improper signal error. At 60 Hz I got this weird flicker so I backed it down. Still need to play with it some.

At CC yesterday before I purchased, I watched it for about 10 minutes comparing it to the Samsung on the video loop they use. The Samsung definitely had more motion blur. The 131 looked similar to the Sony 720p model near it w/ regard to color and motion blur.

Overall I'm very pleased. I've been researching about a month before I pulled the trigger on this one. Now I'm going to try lrstevens' settings although out of the box the colors don't look bad at all from the PVR.

Z
post #111 of 3041 Old 12-12-2006, 09:55 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zogg View Post

I bought a 131 from CC yesterday with the 5 hour deal and coupon. Still in the process of getting things connected. I don't have my OTA antenna cable there yet. Do have a cable connection and it didn't pick up most of my unencrypted QAM channels, but I have a few things to check on my end.

Hooked up the PVR running BeyondTV to it and watched a few shows last night. Looks very nice but I see a bit of graininess in the signal. There may be something not right with the connection though. I set the ATI card to 1920x1080 30Hz and the 131 kept giving me an improper signal error. At 60 Hz I got this weird flicker so I backed it down. Still need to play with it some.

At CC yesterday before I purchased, I watched it for about 10 minutes comparing it to the Samsung on the video loop they use. The Samsung definitely had more motion blur. The 131 looked similar to the Sony 720p model near it w/ regard to color and motion blur.

Overall I'm very pleased. I've been researching about a month before I pulled the trigger on this one. Now I'm going to try lrstevens' settings although out of the box the colors don't look bad at all from the PVR.

Z

Good choice! Hope you get everything working right.

I have to wait until Friday for mine to be delivered . Just had shoulder surgery so I took advantage of the free in home delivery, set up and removal of my old TV (a 36" 225lb beast).
post #112 of 3041 Old 12-12-2006, 02:49 PM
AVS Special Member

been to Circuit City again & looked at the 46" model really close & for a long time.

there was a definite color push in the 46" compared to the 37"
the color push looked literally "pink-ish/purple-ish" especially noticeable when the screen turned white along with the rest of the displays on the floor.

Thing is there was one remote control for the Mitsubishi & the 37" was right below the 46".
The remote control actually contolled BOTH sets at the same time! so when I tinked wih the settings they were both being affected.
so every setting was identical with both sizes but the 46" was giving a different more inaccurate color.

anyone else noticed the color push?

also is there ANY way to go ALL the picture options to display at one time, without having to scroll through each option?
Like pressing the "video" button poped up a "contrast adjustment bar", pressing the video button again pops up a brightness bar, pressing the video button again makes a tint bar appear etc etc etc....

I couldn't find any option to have a menu display all the options at the same time & just let me pick the option I want without going through each & every single one of them.
post #113 of 3041 Old 12-12-2006, 02:57 PM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
The LT-46131 at the Circuit City in Salem, NH had a purplish overtone to it, but not the one in the Nashua, NH store.

Even wilder - the purplish overtone on the set in Salem store moved! I pointed this out to the salesman, and he said the outlet that TV was plugged into had RF on the ground that was causing interference. He suggested that if I buy one, I get a line conditioner.

Talk about a warped sales pitch! Hey, look at this terrible picture. Buy this TV (with this terrible picture) and when you add our $299 Monster line conditioner, you'll have a great picture. Duh.

I would have been more worried had I not seen the Samsung LCD that they had plugged in that spot a week earlier demonstrate the same problem.

I imagine they plug the TV with the lowest commission into that plug.
post #114 of 3041 Old 12-12-2006, 03:06 PM

I don't see a purplish overtone on mine. Had a hockey game on and the ice was blindingly white.

Used lrstevens settings and really didn't see much difference between the defaults, although it's a little less bright which is good. I'm very pleased with the picture so far.

Hooked up the basic cable to ANT1 and OTA antenna to ANT2. It found a few cable channels that my other TV's don't find, and found a few OTA channels I haven't seen before (not that I want the ones it found). I'm looking forward to seeing some football games on it this weekend.

Z
post #115 of 3041 Old 12-12-2006, 03:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wtfer View Post

been to Circuit City again & looked at the 46" model really close & for a long time.

there was a definite color push in the 46" compared to the 37"
the color push looked literally "pink-ish/purple-ish" especially noticeable when the screen turned white along with the rest of the displays on the floor.

Thing is there was one remote control for the Mitsubishi & the 37" was right below the 46".
The remote control actually contolled BOTH sets at the same time! so when I tinked wih the settings they were both being affected.
so every setting was identical with both sizes but the 46" was giving a different more inaccurate color.

anyone else noticed the color push?

also is there ANY way to go ALL the picture options to display at one time, without having to scroll through each option?
Like pressing the "video" button poped up a "contrast adjustment bar", pressing the video button again pops up a brightness bar, pressing the video button again makes a tint bar appear etc etc etc....

I couldn't find any option to have a menu display all the options at the same time & just let me pick the option I want without going through each & every single one of them.

So what's you opinion between the Mitus and Sony.

Maybe what I was noticing as "less detail" was a color push saturating the details?
post #116 of 3041 Old 12-12-2006, 03:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertkoors View Post

What made you buy the Mits instead of the Sony? From what I've seen, black levels on the Sony are better.

Yeah, maybe the Mits doesn't have the clouds floating around in the blacks like the Sony XBRs have! I've got an 40XBR2 and I'm strongly considering returning it for this Diamond model Mits.

GT: irunnoft
post #117 of 3041 Old 12-12-2006, 09:46 PM
eja

So, I took my 46131 with the noisy power supply back to CC and got a new one. This one is very quiet.

Of course, the new set has a big scratch in the stand, it makes loud creaking noises if you touch it, the lower front part of the bezel is bowed out, and the Mitsubishi logo had fallen off.

Not a good showing for Mitsubishi QC, which is a shame. In the family we've had Mitsubishi tube sets and CRT projectors last 15+ years with no problems whatsoever, so I'm really disappointed. The wife has had it and wants to try the Sony instead (46V2500). Since the price is a wash, I can't disagree, though I've probably had too much good luck with Sony CRTs in the past and am due for a lemon from them too...

Interestingly, this new set has a polarized A/C plug, whereas the first set with the noisy power supply did not (I thought that was odd).
post #118 of 3041 Old 12-12-2006, 10:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by seattlite View Post

So what's you opinion between the Mitus and Sony.

Maybe what I was noticing as "less detail" was a color push saturating the details?

It was a little hard to compare
The 1080p LCD displays went like this in order:

Sony, Samsung, Sharp & Mitsubishi
The 46" were on the top row & the 40"/42"/37" equivalent of that same brand beneath them.

All the sets were running the same 1080i loop of some CGI movie(don't know the name), about a talking bear & some animals in a forest!?

The Sharp 46" had by far & away the deepest black levels, yet the banding was just insane on the displays. not even something you have to look for, it stood out like a sore thumb at the first glance.
Contrast did look a little better on the Sharp as well if not quite accuarte as the Sony.

The Mitsubishi looked comparable to the Sammy & Sony very much, maybe the black levels were a tad lighter as the others seemd to be in dynamic modes (couldn't really compare it with the Sony XBR2, it had the worst case of backlight leakage I seen so far)

The biggest problem was the purple tint which was extremely noticeable in the background sky.
I didn't mess around too much with the all the single color options, but from what I did could not fix it.

I don't know, I'm going to Fry's in a few days & check the displays there some more.
post #119 of 3041 Old 12-13-2006, 01:08 PM

I noticed the purplish colors come in because of the color adjustments, put them back to their original levels (all at 31). This should eliminate any purplish areas.
post #120 of 3041 Old 12-13-2006, 08:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Has anyone noticed a clicking noise on their Mitsu when they first power it up? My store display doesn't seem to do it, but the one that I have at home does. Anyone experience this?

Making the most out of what I got.
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Mitsubishi , Mitsubishi Diamond Series 46 Inch Led Edge Lit Lcd Hdtv Lt46265
Gear in this thread

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page