Official Mitsubishi LT-46131 & LT-46231 (46" 1080p LCD) Owner / Discussion Thread - Page 7 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #181 of 3041 Old 12-20-2006, 07:01 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertkoors View Post

what do you want pics of? I will try to get some for you of my 46231. It is dialed in really good. I have a PS3 that I have connected and it looks great. As far as picture quality, I have not seen any motion blur or banding, or clouding,etc. The only time I've seen any pixelization is when the digital feed is low (which is not the TV's fault!) When the feed is good, the picture quality is perfect.

BTW, I have 2 extra PS3's if anyone is looking for one for Christmas!!!

any ps3 shots would be good with me (blu-ray or in game shots)

I have my ps3 hooked up to a SD tube and this is one of the sets im considering upgrading to
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 3041 Old 12-20-2006, 07:44 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I've recorded from a Directv receiver as well, so I figured it could be any input source. I'm just using a Firewire enclosure I picked up on eBay with a Western Digital hard drive. I haven't tried an actual preassembled external firewire drive, just this generic one.
post #183 of 3041 Old 12-20-2006, 04:02 PM

'Walt's TV's' in Tempe, AZ are the best prices and customer service around! I have researched and spent hours to find the best deal. Walt's is by far the best and has the lowest prices around! You can google their site and make sure to ask for ED! I will write a review on the new 46231 LCD tomorrow!
post #184 of 3041 Old 12-20-2006, 04:14 PM

I'll second the comment about Walt's -- found them on Ebay -- was just a tad apprehensive -- talked with the salesman on line, then called Tempe -- took the plunge and ordered (using credit card in case of any issues) -- My 46231 arrived within a week (the salesman said their carrier usually delivered within a week, but he couldn't guarantee, especially during the holiday rush) -- as far as I can tell, the Mitsubishi is in excellent shape -- haven't had time to calibrate it, but the wife is pretty happy with what she's seen out of the box (of course, most any decent HDTV is a major improvement over the old analog). Will be spending time over the holiday's figuring out all of what's in this TV.

Thanks all on this forum for the discussions -- this is what convinced me to buy the Mitsubishi
post #185 of 3041 Old 12-20-2006, 06:04 PM

Backlight - 30
Contrast - 61
Brightness - 33
Color - 37
Tint - 23
Sharpness - 15
Color Temp - Low
Picture Mode - Natural
Deep Field Image - Off
Sharp Edge - Off
Video Noise - Low

Perfect Color
Mag - 30
Red - 28
Yellow - 29
Green - 30
Cyan - 32
Blue - 28

Perfect Tint
Mag - 31
Red - 31
Yellow - 31
Green - 31
Cyan - 31
Blue - 31

I watch movies in low light conditions. Your actual mileage may vary.
post #186 of 3041 Old 12-20-2006, 07:29 PM

good post! thanks
post #187 of 3041 Old 12-20-2006, 09:54 PM

I see the feature differences between the 46231 and the 46131 but are there any differences in the image processing and the LCD screen itself?

The feature difference looks like one more component input, NetCommander, and a second remote.

Why would I want the 46231 over the 46131?

Thanks,
Jim.
post #188 of 3041 Old 12-20-2006, 10:22 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
The 231 also has a few more picture adjustments and its all black instead of the black and silver of the 131.
post #189 of 3041 Old 12-21-2006, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spicaly View Post

nice, I wonder if my local CC will pricematch

The CC I went into wouldn't price match since it is currently backordered at Abt, but they also had a price less than their web site.

They had the 46131 standalone in a seating area with ONLY a Xbox360 input. No other source option! The "associate" then points me to the 37131 mounted under a 46D62 being fed by component loop. At the end of the aisle the Sonys had their own dedicated feed that jumped out at you (1080?). I asked to get that feed on the Mistu. "Can't do".

I dialed up the numbers from this forum and the picture quality seemed as good as the Sharp and Samsung 4695. The only thing that stopped me from pulling the trigger was the cabinet. I just couldn't get past the silver outside frame, speaker grill, and stand.

Now to convince myself that I want to spend the difference to go the 46231 route. Right now CC has such a deal on the Samsung.
post #190 of 3041 Old 12-21-2006, 02:36 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I got my LT-46131 a couple of weeks ago and have not had a lot of time with it. I tried some of the settings suggested in this thread with varying results. Last night, I hooked up my new Oppo 981 upconverting DVD player....WHOA....you guys aren't kidding about DVD looking almost like HD, it was beautiful UNTIL...to my horror...we were watching the new "Pirates of the Carribean" DVD and I thinkg it's chapter 4, where our hero pirate goes below deck at night and it's already very dark and green, but the color gradation was unwatchable! Is this what banding is? It was very very grainy and several shades of green, but completely wrong. Almost like snow, static, whatever you want to call it. It happened only in the dark areas.
I have the Oppo connected via HDMI, had the settings on Brilliant, etc. I immediately hooked up my old Sony DVD player w/480p component outs and it wasn't as sharp, but all the banding went away. Back to the Oppo, I started playing with the color and contrast settings. First I had to turn the picture down to Natural. I took a few points off the Green, a few points off the color saturation and flattened out the contrast a bit, making the blacks a fairly unpleasant gray. Now the banding has gone for the most part. Question: Do you guys think I might have a defective set, or DVD player, or HDMI connector or cable? Or did I just find an acid test scene and found the real limitations of LCD displays?
Otherwise, great TV, no popping or hums, very bright, will do some more futzing around, Direct TV HD coming friday
post #191 of 3041 Old 12-21-2006, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VincentDante View Post

I still can not get the TV to recognize my firewire hard drives. I've tried two drives formatting them each in FAT32, NTFS and Ext3. Any more info on the drive you are using would be greatly appreciated.

An AV/C Disk is not a standard Firewire + HD - it's got a bit of smarts to deal with the AVC over Firewire protocol. See http://www.cinemavu.com/ for an example.
post #192 of 3041 Old 12-21-2006, 03:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by abernardi View Post

to my horror...we were watching the new "Pirates of the Carribean" DVD and I thinkg it's chapter 4, where our hero pirate goes below deck at night and it's already very dark and green, but the color gradation was unwatchable! Is this what banding is? It was very very grainy and several shades of green, but completely wrong. Almost like snow, static, whatever you want to call it. It happened only in the dark areas.
I have the Oppo connected via HDMI, had the settings on Brilliant, etc. I immediately hooked up my old Sony DVD player w/480p component outs and it wasn't as sharp, but all the banding went away. Back to the Oppo, I started playing with the color and contrast settings. First I had to turn the picture down to Natural. I took a few points off the Green, a few points off the color saturation and flattened out the contrast a bit, making the blacks a fairly unpleasant gray. Now the banding has gone for the most part. Question: Do you guys think I might have a defective set, or DVD player, or HDMI connector or cable? Or did I just find an acid test scene and found the real limitations of LCD displays?
Otherwise, great TV, no popping or hums, very bright, will do some more futzing around, Direct TV HD coming friday

any pics of what it looks like?
post #193 of 3041 Old 12-21-2006, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by abernardi View Post

I Last night, I hooked up my new Oppo 981 upconverting DVD player....WHOA....you guys aren't kidding about DVD looking almost like HD, it was beautiful UNTIL...to my horror...we were watching the new "Pirates of the Carribean" DVD and I thinkg it's chapter 4, where our hero pirate goes below deck at night and it's already very dark and green, but the color gradation was unwatchable! Is this what banding is? It was very very grainy and several shades of green, but completely wrong. Almost like snow, static, whatever you want to call it. It happened only in the dark areas.

What you are seeing could be macroblocking that the Faroudja chip that the 981 uses is famous for. Suggest you read through the 981HD thread on the DVD Player Standard forum - there are recommendations on how to minimize/eliminate the macroblocking effect. I tried the recommendations with my Mits LT-37131 and it made a big difference.
post #194 of 3041 Old 12-21-2006, 03:47 PM

Its still not clear to me if the LT-46131/231 has selectable 1:1 pixel mapping like the Sharps and Sonys. I've read posts in this thread that owners don't see overscan at least on DVI inputs and yet I see in the specs here say under "Optical System":

"Pixel Resolution (horizontal x vertical*) 1920 x 1080". The footnote for the asterisk says: "*TV and some PC displays have standard over scan."

I'm guessing this applies to the "Standard" picture format on page 56 of the manual as the others stretch or zoom the picture in some way. Can anyone who has the 131 or 231 models confirm if they support a 1:1 pixel mapping mode for any of the inputs (DVI, HDMI, component), and whether this is by 'eyeballing' or by looking at test patterns on DVE or from a PC?
post #195 of 3041 Old 12-21-2006, 10:11 PM

According to their website, Mitsubishi Digital Electronics America "is primarily an American company with more than 99 percent of our employees based in North America."

But where is their projection and LCD TVs are made?
post #196 of 3041 Old 12-22-2006, 01:30 AM

What is the best viewing format for standard cable? 480i stretch? 480i stretch plus? thanks!
post #197 of 3041 Old 12-22-2006, 03:29 AM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rrob View Post

What is the best viewing format for standard cable? 480i stretch? 480i stretch plus? thanks!

To my eyes, the best viewing format for standard cable is 480i narrow. No picture distortion when you pillar-box it. All of the other formats distort the picture in some way. Whether it's stretched or cropped or stretched & cropped, it still doesn't look normal.
post #198 of 3041 Old 12-22-2006, 06:14 AM

Discrete IR codes.

In one of my earlier posts I mentioned the apparent lack of discrete IR codes on the 46131. But while glancing at the spec sheet online, link here , it mentions "Customization Features (via IR)".

Direct Input Selection Yes
Direct Format Selection Yes
Independent Power ON / OFF Yes

But the manual makes no mention of this at all. Does anyone have more info about this?
post #199 of 3041 Old 12-22-2006, 06:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeStJ View Post

An AV/C Disk is not a standard Firewire + HD - it's got a bit of smarts to deal with the AVC over Firewire protocol. See http://www.cinemavu.com/ for an example.

I would have assumed that to be the case but another member says the following:

Quote:

I'm just using a Firewire enclosure I picked up on eBay with a Western Digital hard drive. I haven't tried an actual preassembled external firewire drive, just this generic one.

All I can think is that the Firewire enclosure he picked up off ebay was an AVC disk enclosure with the necessary bits built in. How about it Robert, can you give us more info on this enclosure?
post #200 of 3041 Old 12-22-2006, 09:50 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by VincentDante View Post

Discrete IR codes.

In one of my earlier posts I mentioned the apparent lack of discrete IR codes on the 46131. But while glancing at the spec sheet online, link here , it mentions "Customization Features (via IR)".

Direct Input Selection Yes
Direct Format Selection Yes
Independent Power ON / OFF Yes

But the manual makes no mention of this at all. Does anyone have more info about this?

If you had a computer programable remote from Home Theater Master, Harmony, Pronto or others you can download all the remote commands to your computer and then choose what to load into the remote. I use the Home Theater Masters, excellent remotes.
post #201 of 3041 Old 12-22-2006, 10:57 AM

Just a few notes:

Thanks for all the inputs on tuning.

I'm trying them and I'm getting better quality pictures.

Yesterday I installed the replacement Time Warner (NJ) HD cable box and I'm impressed overall. But, Time Warner does not support the HDMI input unless one acquires the DVR device as well. So I'm using the three cable composite. S-Video is attached but does not match the three cable composite.

Between the cable box and the TV I fear that I will become and HDTV/cable/PC geek.

I bought my set at:
Harry's Discounts & Appliances
8701 18th Ave
Brooklyn, NY 11214
(718) 236-236-3507

If you call, ask for Milton. I faxed a letter with my requirements, inside delivery, etc. They do deliver in the NY/NJ metro area. Ordered Tuesday a week ago and received Thursday a week ago (two days later).

Now I'm buying a DVI-A to VGA converter cable so I can put my desktop computer images on the screen to showy wife some emails, etc.

Cheers and Merry Christmas!!
post #202 of 3041 Old 12-22-2006, 12:11 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

If you look at the manual and the literature that came with the TV, it actually has an offer for software so you could connect your computer via Firewire cable to your TV. When you plug the hard drive into your TV the TV recognizes it as a plug and play device and then assigns it as an input storage device.

Robert,

It appears that a computer with the software is needed at least until the TV recognizes the hard drive as a storage device.

After that does the computer need to be attached and on for future recordings? Or can the hard drive function on its own as an AV disc?
post #203 of 3041 Old 12-22-2006, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eric102 View Post

Robert,

It appears that a computer with the software is needed at least until the TV recognizes the hard drive as a storage device.

After that does the computer need to be attached and on for future recordings? Or can the hard drive function on its own as an AV disc?

I have not tried to connect the hard drive from the computer directly to the TV. I've only tried my computer and then also the stand alone HDD.
post #204 of 3041 Old 12-22-2006, 01:11 PM
Advanced Member

Thanks Robert.

So to make sure I understand this correctly, you have both your computer (with the software) and the stand alone fire wire hard drive connected to the TV and running at the same time, but you haven't tried using just the stand alone fire wire hard drive by itself without the computer running?
post #205 of 3041 Old 12-22-2006, 02:58 PM

From the Mitsubishi Website:

The Diamond LT-46231 combines high gloss slim, sleek flat panel
styling together with 1080p LCD picture performance. This 46? 1080p
HDTV delivers over two million pixels, the highest high definition
resolution available, producing razor sharp images. It also features Full
Spectrum Color which generates 25% more color than standard LCD
panels. And High Contrast Picture creates a picture with deeper blacks
and richer dark scene details by dynamically matching the brightness
of the TV backlight to that of the on-screen image. Mitsubishi's all-new
digital signal processing system includes Plush1080p® for precise deinterlacing
and upconversion to 1080p, 4D Video Noise Reduction for
smooth yet detailed images, and Tru1080p for processing the highest
resolution HDTV signals in their native format.

Does it bother anyone else that the owners manual doesn't mention anything
about Plush1080p upconverting, 4D Video Noise Reduction, nor Tru1080p?

One would think that if these things are advertised on their website as selling points, they would be in the owners manual and show how to set them.
post #206 of 3041 Old 12-22-2006, 03:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grouter71 View Post

Does it bother anyone else that the owners manual doesn't mention anything
about Plush1080p upconverting, 4D Video Noise Reduction, nor Tru1080p?

One would think that if these things are advertised on their website as selling points, they would be in the owners manual and show how to set them.

Only explanation I could think of is that not all advertised features (or specifications) are 'usable' by the owner and hence not mentioned in the owner manual. Certain feature are designed/engineered into the electronics and there is no adjustment etc.. needed from the user.

Those fancy words are meant to be used mostly for marketing - although some are mentioned in the manual such as the video noise reduction is mentioned on top of page 75 - yet no mention of "4D".

Maybe I am accustomed to all the readings from my research for "my" perfect TV

By the way the martketing material does not mention about the second, more simpler remote control included for the 46231... but mentioned in the manual.
post #207 of 3041 Old 12-22-2006, 03:54 PM

I went to Tweeter today. It was a brand new store and the feeds were fantastic. They had a digital 720p feed from a computer and it gave a pretty good idea of what these TV's can do. I looked at the XBR3, 4696 and 46231. They had a nice setup, there was enough space that you could actually walk around the back of each TV that was hung on the wall.

In the store I would have to give the best color and contrast to the 46231. The detail did look better on the other two but I did not adjust the settings. I'm assuming that the detail would be the same with the settings dialed in?????? At least from the feedback in this thread. Plus I'm not sure you would even notice once you got it home. I watched them for about an hour and then........

*******I BIT THE BULLET AND ORDERED ONE. ******* 36 months same as cash by Mitsubishi

I must say this has been a long and agonizing process. I have been looking for a 46" LCD since last year. Hopefully I won't be disappointed.

Has anyone determined if you can use a std firewire harddrive??? There seems to be alot of back and forth on this subject.
post #208 of 3041 Old 12-23-2006, 02:29 PM

First post! Yay!

I currently own a Sceptre Naga 42" LCD. It was cheap and it does have 1:1 pixel reproduction when using the VGA input (one of my main concerns). Overall the Sceptre has waaay too many PQ (sub-par) and other issues and I'm ready to ditch it.

While visiting family for Christmas I've gotten to play around with one of these new Mitsu 46" (the 131). I'm very impressed with the features and PQ however, it doesn't do perfect 1:1 reproduction of my DVI signal from my Macbook Pro (running in both WinXP and OSX).

What you get is a think black strip (about 5 pixels wide) that goes up the about 98% of the left side of the screen, in the bottom left corner you can see a "notch" of pixels where this black bar stops (this was easily seen in WinXP cause it carves a notch into the Start menu button). On the top of the screen there is another thin black bar (maybe 5 pixels tall) that goes all the way across the top. The right side is a bit different, instead of it being a thin black strip you get pixels that are about 50% darker then they should be.

The exact same effects were seen under both OSX and WinXP, both at 1920x1080. Of course, they are sharing the same video card so that's to be expected. Adjusting the V and H position of the TV didn't solve anything.

Sooooooo.... I really want to get this TV because it has the best picture with the fewest issues and a good price. However I will be using it as a PC monitor about 60% of the time and not having perfect 1:1 reproduction of your video card output is annoying - even if it's pretty minimal when you step back.

Has anyone else noticed this when connecting a PC (or anything) over DVI? Are there ways to fix it (service menu?) or is it perhaps a defect in manufacturing? I could live with it, but I might also hang onto my Sceptre for a few more months (cringe) to see if someone releases an LCD with great color, viewing angle, no bands, no clouds, and perfect 1:1 1080p from a PC or game system. I've trolled these boards for hours and have yet to read about a set which fits the bill perfectly - did I miss one??? (The Pioneer Elite Plasma 1080p sounds like it might be, but it's too pricey, and its plasma )

Cheers
post #209 of 3041 Old 12-23-2006, 05:50 PM

I finally hooked up my PS3 to this TV and needless to say, the results are awesome! I watched the Omen on blu-ray disc and played Madden NFL 07, as well as resistance fall of man. When it comes to 1080p, this TV delivers big time. I have had this TV for two weeks now, and I have not noticed any problems so far. The occasional macroblocking or smearing of small portions of images (due to Dish HD signal compression) is not bothersome. This is not the fault of the TV, since this never occurs with PS3 games and Blu-Ray movies. Dish HD has a nice package of HD channels (local channels are in the 6000 range and other HD channels are in the 9000 range). Again, no clouds, banding, or other issues. I followed up with the store manager at CC, and he stated that he sells alot of Mitsubishi TV's and the XBR's. He further stated that more HDTV educated buyers typically opt for the Mitsubishi 46", while less informed buyers will choose the XBR. I almost chose the XBR, but now I am glad I did not.
post #210 of 3041 Old 12-23-2006, 11:41 PM

I noticed a real disturbing video distortions on these sets at Fry's.

The video is 1080i feed, the sets are 37132 and 46131. The distortion is a continuously vertical scrolling of red and green bands, each is about 5" high and the width of the screen. The problem is within the feed because I noticed this on most of the sets in the store.

What bothers me is that both Mitsubishi were the worst in rendering that bad feed. Ironically, the best brand at rendering that feed is Sony, all models - the brand that I crossed off my list. You have to look really critically to see these bands in any of the Sony. I would say that if you casually look at it, you won't see it on the Sony. Next down from Sony is Samsung.

I tried to adjust the video but it improved only a little. They also have a 46231 and the only video fed to it is DVD and I did NOT notice the bands on it.

Anyone see this too or have any explanation? The sale guy did not and probably could not offer any explanation.
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Mitsubishi , Mitsubishi Diamond Series 46 Inch Led Edge Lit Lcd Hdtv Lt46265
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page