Official Mitsubishi LT-46131 & LT-46231 (46" 1080p LCD) Owner / Discussion Thread - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3041 Old 11-03-2006, 01:15 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
The Mitsubishi LT-46131 and LT-46231 LCD HDTVs are on sale as of early November 2006. This thread has been started to allow owners or potential buyers to discuss these products.

The Mits 46131/46231 HDTVs are 1080p with a 46 inch diagonal LCD screen, intended for direct competition with the Sony 46XBR 2/3 units, Samsung LN-S4695D and LN-S4696D units, and Sharp Aquos LC-46D62U units. These competitors have been out on sale for several months prior to the store release of the Mits units, so here on AVS Forums there has been correspondingly less discussion of the Mits units. Thus if you've got any info on the Mits 46131/46231, it's worth sharing here.

Several items about the Mits 46131/46231 units bear special notice (at least, to me). First, the Mits units apparently do not utilize overscanning, thus presenting a "true" 1080p image. Second, there appears to be an unusually large number of PIP options built into the Mits. Finally, initial reports on the smaller 37 inch version of this set seem to indicate a relatively pleasing and above-average SD presentation on the Mits sets.

Data sheets for these sets (including PDF links to specs, dimensions and owner manuals) may be found at :

Mits 46131:

http://www.mitsubishi-tv.com/j/i/183...s.html?cid=378

Mits 46231:

http://www.mitsubishi-tv.com/j/i/183...s.html?cid=377

Differences between the two sets (the 231 has these features, the 131 doesn't):

PerfectTint
an extra component input (3 instead of 2)
TV Guide Onscreen
NetCommand unified learning remote
Fully illuminated main remote
Additional simple remote

Blurb for features found in both units:

Mitsubishi Series 46" 1080P LCD Flat Panel HDTV, Model LT46131

The LT-46131 LCD Flat Panel HDTV offers 1080p performance. Mitsubishi's Full Spectrum Color technology produces 25% more color than that of standard LCDs for more intense, more vivid images.

The picture is enhanced by an all-new digital signal processing system which includes Plush1080p for precise deinterlacing and upconversion to 1080p, 4D Video Noise Reduction for smooth yet detailed images, and Tru1080p for processing the highest resolution HDTV signals in their native format.

This 46" HDTV includes two HDMI inputs, an IEEE 1394 interface, DVI-I and component inputs that provide connection to almost any HD component. And ClearThought® Easy Connect makes set-up so easy by recognizing when a component is connected.

Features:

Get the Perfect Picture Every Time

1920 x 1080 Pixel Resolution

Full Spectrum Color - Mitsubishi's Full Spectrum Color results in 25% more color than standard LCD. Reds and yellows become more vivid and there are more available shades of Green, Cyan, and Blue. The result is a more vivid and more realistic image.

Plush1080p®

4D Video Noise Reduction - adds an extra dimension to picture performance. Advanced algorithms filter video noise more efficiently yielding clean, crisp images.
Tru1080p Processing - All Mitsubishi 1080p HDTVs process 1920 x 1080p inputs without downconversion, delivering the full bandwidth of the incoming signal directly to the screen for a true 2 million pixel image.

PerfectColor - is an exclusive Mitsubishi feature that provides the ability to adjust the intensity of six separate colors independently of each other and separately for every input.

Watch TV Your Way

Integrated One-Piece Design
Digital Cable Ready HDTV with CableCARD Slot
ClearThought® Easy Connect - Connectivity made easy! Mitsubishi's ClearThought® Easy Connect recognizes inputs as they are plugged in. The device menu shows only those inputs that are active.
2 HDMI Inputs
PC DVI-I Input
2 Component Inputs
Rear IEEE 1394

Features and Benefits:

Plush1080p

HDTVs can display any video signal. For a 1080p HDTV, even the high quality 720p and 1080i HDTV signals being broadcast need to be reformatted in order to fill the TV screen with a sharp, clear picture. Mitsubishi developed Plush1080p technology to do just thiswith the highest quality possible. It scales the picture precisely, with minimal side effects. And 1080i, currently the most common form of HDTV signal, is spectacular at 1080p. The conversion is precise, resulting in previously unachievable detail and clarity. In short, Plush1080p technology makes everything else look better on a 1080p HDTV.

4D Video Noise Reduction

Mitsubishi's exclusive 4D Video Noise Reduction uses advanced algorithms to better identify video noise from fine detail and correct the signal rather than distort it. Video noise is caused by distortions in the video signal and makes the picture to look grainy or snowy. As signal resolutions improve with the introduction of DVD, digital cable/ satellite and HDTV, the loss of sharpness produced by most noise reduction circuits becomes more noticeable. Mitsubishi's advanced 4D Video Noise Reduction corrects the image in four dimensions: horizontally, vertically, within each frame and across multiple frames to provide an image that is crystal clear and extraordinarily detailed.

PerfectColor

PerfectColor is an exclusive Mitsubishi feature that provides the ability to adjust the intensity of six separate colors independently of each other and separately for every input. PerfectColor is much more powerful than conventional color intensity control, which can only increase or decrease the intensity of all colors at the same time.

Tru1080p Processing

Keep your signal the way it was meant to be seen. Mitsubishi's Tru1080p Processing maintains 1080p high definition signals as 1080p from beginning to end. All 1080p DVI-I, HDMI, IEEE 1394 and 1080p Broadcast signals are passed through with no down conversions. The advancements of 1080p DLP® technology for HDTV viewing deliver over 2 million pixels to you on-screen for a full and true 1920 x 1080 resolution. With Mitsubishi 1080p DLP® HDTVs, you can experience the best that high definition has to offer today and be ready to enjoy all of the 1080p sources that are on the horizon.

Full Spectrum Color

Mitsubishi's Full Spectrum Color results in 25% more color than standard LCD. Reds and yellows become brighter and more vivid, and there are more available shades of Green, Cyan, and Blue. Mitsubishi uses a wider range of phosphors in its backlight system for a richer, fuller spectrum of colors. To fully utilize this added color range, Mitsubishi also recalibrated its color and brightness settings. The resulting picture quality adds realism to yellow sunlight, blue skies and crimson sunsets.

IEEE 1394

The IEEE 1394 multimedia connection enables simple, low-cost, high-bandwidth real-time audio, video and data networking between a Mitsubishi TV and other consumer electronics products such as camcorders and DVHS VCRs. With IEEE 1394 compatible products and systems, users can record SD or HD digital video over a plug-and-play A/V network.

2 Component Video Inputs

Inputs have 480i, 480p and 1080i capability.

2 HDMI Inputs

HDMI (High Definition Multimedia Interface) is an uncompressed, all-digital audio/video interface. HDMI provides an interface between an audio/video source, such as a set-top box, DVD player, or A/V receiver and an A/V monitor, such as a digital television (DTV), over a single cable. HDMI supports standard, enhanced or high definition video, plus multi-channel digital audio on a single cable. It supports all ATSC formats.

Digital Cable Ready HDTV with CableCard slot.

CableCARD = No Cable Box Required Record digital cable through IEEE 1394 Integrated HDTV Digital Cable Ready (DCR) televisions include a CableCARD slot on the back panel to allow the customer to receive analog and digital SD / HD cable programming without the need for a cable box. These models also offer full compatibility with HD component, HDMI and IEEE 1394 connections. DCR provides a direct connection to the cable system. This direct connection produces the best quality picture possible as well as enables simple system control and easy HD recording.

ClearThought® Easy Connect

Connectivity made easy! Mitsubishi's ClearThought® Easy Connect simplifies set-up and day-to-day use. During set up, it recognizes each input as it is plugged in, prompts the user to name it, enters it into the Device Menu and only shows used inputs. ClearThought® makes it so easy to find the desired input.

Approximate Dimensions:

Height: 29.2"
Width: 44.6""
Depth: 5.7"

Approximate Weight:

Unit: 96.9 lbs
Shipping: 109 lbs

Box Contents:

46" LCD Flat Panel HDTV (LT-46131)
Remote Control
Two AA Batteries
Cable Tie (see owner's guide)
Product registration card
Owner's Guide
Quick Reference Guide

Hey, I'm probably gonna get one of these (or a Sammy LN-S4696D) in an after-Christmas sale, so let me know what you think of yours!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3041 Old 11-04-2006, 12:02 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Liked: 168
Even though this isn't an owner's thread for 46" models this thread about the 37" Mitsu LCD's offers lots of testimonials, pictures (thanks treoleo) and early reports about these sets. A must read for people even thinking about tracking down these 46" Mitsubishi LCD's: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...7&page=1&pp=30

I spent a couple of hours today (11/3) playing around with the LT-46131 and LT-46231 at a PC Richard & Son store in NYC. Heck, an LT-37131 Mitsu was behind me as I sat in front of its 46" cousins playing with a remote control (the one for the 46231) that controlled all three sets simultaneously. The Sony 46XBR3 set was right next to the Mitsu's with a Sammy 5296D behind them, a Toshiba 47LZ96 nearby and a Sharp 46D62U hanging on the wall. I was literally surrounded by all the 1080p LCD contenders everywhere I looked, and looked hard I did. Unfortunately all the sets in this store were being fed a worthless component 1080i fee of 'Discovery HD' that looked like crap because of the signal splitting, so I can't really tell you how the set handles a pure 1080p signal.

To their credits the Mitsu LCD's looked no better or worse than all the other 1080p sets in the overall picture given the crappy signal fed to all of them. Some underwater show was being shown and the details and blacks on the Mitsu's were about even with the Toshiba and Sharp (!) LCD's but slightly behind the punchier blacks of the Sammy 5296D and slightly smoother image of the 46XBR3. The PIP option allowed me to split the screen into one with the 1080i signal and a separate 4:3 window (filled with snow from an unprogrammed channel) with the widescreen image of the 1080i feed not losing any resolution or picture quality. The 46231 was almost $350 more expensive than the 46131 but picture-wise they both looked identical. The LT-37131 was no slouch either (picture on this set looked exactly the same as that of a nearby Sharp 37D90U), and the below $2K price for the 37" Mitsu sure was more attractive than the post-$3K price for its 46" cousins. The all-black exterior of the 46231 (with a diamong logo in the center of the bottom-mounted speaker instead of the Mitsubishi logo) was one sexy beast though. Unlike the Sammy's all-piano black plastic exterior only the swiveling base of the 46231 was piano black; the all-black exterior around the 46231 is a non-reflective surface that didn't reflect store light as much as the 5296D Sammy nearby. Remote control for the 46231 (which also doubles as the remote for the 37132; the little extra remote was there but w/o batteries) was a little on the underwhelming and simplistic side, but it lit-up when used and was responsive from a distance of... ohh, two feet from the screen!

I have to go back to see these TV's again. Even after an hour with them I need to soak these 1080p Mitsu LCD's a little bit more. Knowing that they're 8m response time and 1,200 contrast ratio makes me think I see a slightly less-than-black signals on the Mitsu's compared to the Sharp and Sony LCD's (the Sammy 52" LCD had the inkiest blacks but also the most visible black crush) but (a) the signal feed was crap so its tough to judge and (b) didn't do too much tweaking from the default settings.
post #3 of 3041 Old 11-04-2006, 04:56 AM
GTZ

Liked: 12
Thanks for the review dad1153. I've still not decided between the Sharp LC46D62 and the Mits 46131. I did compare both at a CC and thought they were pretty even. Didn't see any of the reported banding on the Sharp. Do you think the 46231 with:

PerfectTint
TV Guide Onscreen
Additional simple remote

is worth the $350 extra? Problem is the nearest CC has the 131, not the 231.

rickyjames, are you sure about the weight at 96.9 lbs? CC has it listed as 71.8 lbs.
post #4 of 3041 Old 11-04-2006, 11:40 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTZ View Post

Do you think the 46231 with:

PerfectTint
TV Guide Onscreen
Additional simple remote

is worth the $350 extra? Problem is the nearest CC has the 131, not the 231.

Because the 46231 is a Diamond line product (Misu's top-of-the-line models) not every store that sells Mitsubishi products carries it. Only authorized Mitsu dealers carry Diamond line products, and apparently the store I saw them in (PC Richards & Son) is one. Picture/soundwise the 46131 and 46231 are identical so no benefit there. The Tint option (adjust individual tint of six colors without affecting the others) is neat but if you're feeding the TV an excellent TV/videogame/movie feed there's no need to adjust anything. TV Guide onscreen is OK but not a deal-breaker if you have a cable or satellite service with its own guide (like me with TWC). The additional remote is OK but the stand can swivel easy if you push it. The remote control is basic for both units, but the all-black case with glowing red buttons of the 46231 remote are indeed cool.

I'm anal, but the reason I would go with the 46231 over the 46131 would be (a) the extra component input (the more the better), (b) the unified learning command (not as deep as a Harmony remote but not $200 more expenses) and (c) the sexy look of the 46231 in all-black glory. Yes, Mitsu is swindling us by making us pay more for the black scheme that should have been on the 46131 all along (hate that silver bottom-mounted speaker). But if you shop around you can find places that sell the 46231 for less than what Circuit City is charging for the 46131. Google 'Value Electronics' (an upstate NY electronics store owned by a good friend of AVS Forum, Robert) and 'Walt's' (an Arizona electronics store). The former can custom-order the 46131 for about $400 less than the retail cost of the same panel at CC (with shipping!). The latter has the 46231 in its showroom and an eBay store that sells the 46231 for less than the 46131 at CC (again, with shipping). I'd strongly suggest you google these stores, write down their phone numbers and call them Monday morning (remember Value Electronics is ET time and Walt's is PT). Tell them about AVS Forum, both stores know about the site and may be willing to give you a special deal and work with you. Of course you'd be dealing with the potential of shipping issues, so make sure if you order from either of these guys that you discuss potential returns due to dead pixels or potential broken glass.
post #5 of 3041 Old 11-04-2006, 04:42 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTZ View Post

rickyjames, are you sure about the weight at 96.9 lbs? CC has it listed as 71.8 lbs.

All I know is what I cut and pasted. Maybe the difference is with and without the stand included. I'm certainly willing to believe it's heavier than say a Samsung 4696 because it's got the same basic frontal area but it's around an inch thicker. Extra room inside for the hamsters to spin the cage and sling out more pixels, I guess.
post #6 of 3041 Old 11-04-2006, 05:14 PM
GTZ

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by rickyjames View Post

Extra room inside for the hamsters to spin the cage and sling out more pixels, I guess.

OK now I get it, the more hamsters the heavier the set. I wonder how often I'd have to clean out the inside of the cage, er, set.
post #7 of 3041 Old 11-04-2006, 08:05 PM

I found this under the "customer reviews" on the Circuit City page for the LT-46131. Is there anything to this?

"The features on this unit are unmatched and the picture quality is excellent too. There is, however, a fatal flaw: It appears the amount of processing being done to the video stream has resulted in a sound synchronization lag: People moved their lips andalmost half a second later, you hear the words. It is hard to ignore once you notice it. All the more sad as this set has all the features I am looking for in a high-end HD TV."
post #8 of 3041 Old 11-05-2006, 07:23 AM - Thread Starter

The CC review(s) you mentioned (along with "tabbed" links to other Mits 46131 info on the CC site) is here:

http://www.circuitcity.com/ssm/Mitsu...oductDetail.do

Two other reviews don't mention that sound delay problem and it's hard to believe it's a generic problem instead of an isolated one on that set or that reviewer's broadcast channels. Don't know what to think.

No reviews on Amazon at all as I post this, just more product data:

http://www.amazon.com/Mitsubishi-LT-...318882-0297504

Also no reviews as I post this at eOpinions, tho it does list six stores which carry the 46131:

http://www.epinions.com/Mitsubishi_L.../sec_~wtb#awtb
post #9 of 3041 Old 11-09-2006, 05:50 AM

I visited a local CC and they had the 46131 on display grouped together with a Samsung, Sharp 46D62 and a Sony XBR-2. They were all playing the same Discovery HD feed and I did not adjust any settings. I was disappointed with the black levels on the 46131 when compared to the other sets. It looked slightly washed. Has anyone else had a chance to compare these sets?
post #10 of 3041 Old 11-15-2006, 04:23 PM

Does anyone actually own this set? I find it strange that it seems to be completely overlooked - no review, no positive feedback, nothing...
post #11 of 3041 Old 11-15-2006, 04:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by tboz View Post

Does anyone actually own this set? I find it strange that it seems to be completely overlooked - no review, no positive feedback, nothing...

yeah
for a fourm to have thread's close to 10,000 replies for one brand in a new line & yet have almost none in a another brand is strange.
post #12 of 3041 Old 11-15-2006, 08:29 PM

I would love a review of this TV as I'm considering buying it. Is this close to a Samsung/Sony picture or more like a Westinghouse? Considerations to quality would be most appreciated.
post #13 of 3041 Old 11-16-2006, 09:43 AM

Kadairs in Baton Rouge is a Mits Diamond dealer. They have the 46231 & 37132 set up next to Sony xbr2's. The PQ of the Mits was much better than the Sonys in both HD & SD. Instead of the Sharp or Sony, I think I will get the Mits. More features & better PQ.
post #14 of 3041 Old 11-16-2006, 10:17 AM

What are the differences between the 2 models?
From their website I can tell that the 46231 has the back glossy look (Diamond series) and as stated above:
PerfectTint
TV Guide Onscreen
Additional simple remote

I can't find the 46231 at any local retailer and only 2 online stores carry them.
post #15 of 3041 Old 11-16-2006, 12:14 PM

I am just starting to eye the lt-46131 but I am not very familiar with it. I recently purchased a Toshiba 42lx196 and had problems so that went back twice. I like the picture of the Sony Xbr but I hate the floating glass thing and I have to spend an extra $300.00 for the extra color bezel and that the stand does not swivel. So I am looking at the Mits and I like the picture and picture feature, the cable card feature. I have read about the menu's slow response time and the poor sound quality can any one elaborate on those problems? Any information on the TV would be appreciated.

Thanks
post #16 of 3041 Old 11-16-2006, 01:43 PM

I have had my 46231 for a week, love everything about it. I have hooked all sorts of things up and they work right away. So far Perfect
post #17 of 3041 Old 11-16-2006, 02:07 PM

What made you buy the Mits instead of the Sony? From what I've seen, black levels on the Sony are better.
post #18 of 3041 Old 11-16-2006, 03:29 PM

I compared side by side at local store and saw little if any change
post #19 of 3041 Old 11-17-2006, 06:57 AM

Just picked up the LT-46131 from CC yesterday. It was there with the Sony, Samsung and Sharp in a 2 x 2 grid. The sales staff let me adjust all four sets to my liking and after staring at them for an hour or so I felt the Mitsu was ever so slightly behind the Sony and Sammy but a ahead of the Sharp in picture quality. But it's the feature set of the LT-46131 that sold me. I have to have PIP, POP, or split screen. While it only has split screen capability it allows you to use just about any combination of inputs and with a 46" screen even the small split screens look great. For more info on this see pages 42-43 of the manual.

So far after one night of over the air HD I'm very pleased. The tuner seems to do a great job. The only thing it appears to be lacking is discrete IR codes. I could be wrong about this but I have been unable to find any info yes or no about this.

I'll post more after I've lived with it for a few days.
post #20 of 3041 Old 11-17-2006, 10:29 AM

How did you think the Sony picture was a bit better? I'm so torn on the 231 and the XBR3. I saw the 231 today next to the XBR3 and the white/blacks on the Mits was a bit better than the Sony (especially around text). I love Sony, and have never owned a Mitsubishi and just don't know if the Mits will be as dependable over its life as the Sony's have always been for me. Do you think the clarity and detail of the Sony and Mits were equal, or do you think one was better than the other in this area?
post #21 of 3041 Old 11-17-2006, 03:48 PM

Be interesting to read the feedback on how this panel stacks up against the Sony/Samsung/Sharp units that others have commented on with regard to banding, backlight leakage, clouds, etc. Feedback on the 37" panel seems to be good so far with nary a negative comment on the aforementioned issues.

VincentDante - you are the Man!
post #22 of 3041 Old 11-19-2006, 10:02 PM

Does anyone know who's panel is in the 231? Is it Samsungs???
post #23 of 3041 Old 11-20-2006, 03:15 AM
AVS Addicted Member

An authorized Diamond Mitsubishi dealer told a friend of mine in this forum (Therese) that Sharp is the glass manufacturer that Mitsu is using for its LT 1080p LCD's.
post #24 of 3041 Old 11-20-2006, 11:26 AM

Does anyone see any reason NOT to buy the LT46231? The only other set I'm looking at is the Sony 46XBR3 and the pictures are very close and the Mitsu has the PIP. Any other options or features anyone can think of that one has the other doesn't??
post #25 of 3041 Old 11-20-2006, 07:58 PM

"Does anyone see any reason NOT to buy the LT46231? The only other set I'm looking at is the Sony 46XBR3 and the pictures are very close and the Mitsu has the PIP. Any other options or features anyone can think of that one has the other doesn't??"

Answers:

- No

- Clouds...

I had a great opportunity to see Sharp, Sony and Mitsubishi lined up right next to each other yesterday at a local B&M. The fun part was they had them all fairly well dialed in. In other words, it wasn't one of these "That set looked horrible next to This set" kind of affair.

What's curious was how well some of the 1366 x 768 panels looked. I kept going back to those from Sharp and a 32" from Panasonic of all things. They looked insane! Actually, from 5' back they looked every bit as 'sharp' and colorful as the big dog 1080P sets. Interesting.

But down to the nut of this discussion (46"):

- The Sony XBR sets will grab you quickly. They have eye-popping color and contrast. Maybe it's my eyes but I couldn't help but notice a tad of blurring during the Sunday night football ESPN game. Slow pans and fast motion is what caught my eye straining to 'process' the blur. Not huge, but there at least for me.

- The Sharp - excellent, smooth color and detail but not very good off-axis viewing. I caught that right outta the chute. Something wasn't right there. Side to side and up & down viewing was fairly narrow.

- The Mitsubishi? 90+ percent of the eye grabbing color and contrast of the Sony, but with the film-like detail of the Sharp. Viewing angles? Excellent. The picture had a quality to it - lack of edginess, little or no blur during pans or fast sequences but at the same time, that rich, 3D color presentation with accurate tones. I did not necessarily have any leanings going into this store but at the end, I found myself looking more and more at the Mitsubishi. It excelled in every category I'm interested in. Plus it has DVI. Major plus for me.

Only difficulty was the gap between 37" and 46". A 40" or even 42" would be right in the strike zone. See, a 37" is do-able on my desktop, but 46"? I'm still trying to see if I can make it work.

Bottom line (for me anyway) the Mitsubishi is the set to beat. It's got it in both picture quality and options.

I looked at/compared: Sharp 46" D62, Sony XBR2 & 3, Mitsubishi LT-46131, LT-37131.
post #26 of 3041 Old 11-20-2006, 08:10 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertkoors View Post

Does anyone see any reason NOT to buy the LT46231? The only other set I'm looking at is the Sony 46XBR3 and the pictures are very close and the Mitsu has the PIP. Any other options or features anyone can think of that one has the other doesn't??

If PIP is important to you then the Mitsubishi is the undisputed king when it comes to 1080p LCD's (with the Sammy's a distant second). The Mitsubishi sets also accept 1080/24p over DVI (for whenever a high definition Blu-Ray or HD-DVD player comes out that can output the discs' native signal and bypass the 3:2 'pulldown' process every other LCD has to perform) so they're future-proof. The LT-46231 and LT-37132 also offer more tweakability options (adjust six hue colors independently of one another) and have a stand that swivels just like the Samsung LCD's. Other than its price (expensive by a few hundred dollars more than the Sony LCD's), lack of availability (only Diamond dealers carry the 46231 and 37132) and noticeably weaker contrast ratio (1,200) and blacks than the Sammy and Sony LCD's these Mitsubishi LCD's are very cool. Did I mention the Mitsu's PIP options are the best on the market for 1080p LCD shoppers with PIP on their mind? Seriously, if I end up buying the 46231 it will be Mitsubishi's attention to my PIP needs that will tip me over to the dark side. I've owned Sony TV's all my life (except when mom and dad made the decisions at home; they were NEX and Sanyo whores! ) and never thought in my life I'd look at Mitsubishi for my HDTV needs.
post #27 of 3041 Old 11-21-2006, 05:06 AM

Great posts Mochi and Dad! With all the adjustable options on the Mitsu, do you think the picture can be dialed in to beat the XBR3? I looked at the two next to each other again last night at an authorized dealer with the pregame for Monday Night Football on ESPNHD and the Mits actually had better whites/blacks, the colors looked more real, and there was zero motion blur or blurring around text. The only thing that struck me between the two was in looking at the field (the grass especially), you could definitely see more detail in the Sony. The XBR3 just seemed to show blades of grass (and you could even see the grounds of rubber fly up from the turf too) that the 46231 did not show. I talked to the sales person and he said he thought the picture could be dialed in to look the same and bring that detail out as it looked to him that colors were blending into each other, but he didn't have any calibration settings or knowledge to do it.

I agree if PIP was my main objective the Mits would be the way to go, but it's hard for me to get a TV that doesn't show as much as another picture. Price for the Mitsubishi 46231 is actually $250 cheaper than the Sony XBR3.....though I'm not going to let that make my decision.
post #28 of 3041 Old 11-21-2006, 05:14 AM

One other item I forgot to mention....I noticed a purple-ish band on the top of the Mitsubishi screen. It was weird as they were showing the stadium in the background and you could see gray concrete on the bottom of the screen and then at the very top the concrete looked like it had a purple tint. Is this because the panel is a Sharp panel, or do you just think it is a calibration/video setting? I'm no expert on these by any means, but I do believe I look very carefully and my eye picks up things pretty accurately.
post #29 of 3041 Old 11-21-2006, 07:49 PM

Robert,

The purple-ish band I cannot speak to as did not notice it on Sunday whilst viewing the LT-46131 and 37131. Perhaps you can pay another visit and observe the same area with different programming to see if it shows up again.

On 'blades of grass': Indeed you are right - the Sony is 'sharp' with excellent detail. However (at least the XBR3 and XBR2 that I viewed), had an edginess about the picture. I would assume that could be ratcheted down via settings. It's certainly attention getting - like the eye-popping color palette of the set. Once again though, after going back & forth between the LT and XBR, I found myself drawn more to the smooth detail of the Mitsubishi.
And indeed as well, you saw it yourself - absoltutely no blurring on the LT.

Gonna be big fun here pretty quick me thinks. Homework for my eyes is about done. Wouldn't mind seeing a little shaved off the MSRP though in the next few weeks. Wonder if that'll happen...?
post #30 of 3041 Old 11-23-2006, 09:47 AM

If you bought this set, can you tell me about the warranty. I can't find anyhting about their warranty. Do they offer onsite service for the first year? Do they offer extended warranty like sony? If I buy it from an online dealer (not authorized) will they still honor the warranty?
Thanks
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Mitsubishi , Mitsubishi Diamond Series 46 Inch Led Edge Lit Lcd Hdtv Lt46265
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page