Vizio 37" (VX37L) LCD HDTV Official Thread - Page 4 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 1Likes

post #91 of 2539 Old 11-21-2006, 09:10 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Here are my settings and I really like them for SD.

Let me know what you think and if you have any suggestions.

Backlight: 15 (dark room or a lamp)
Contrast: 70
Brightness: 53
Color: 44
Tint: +4
Sharpness: 2

Color is normal:

Let me know what you think??
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 2539 Old 11-22-2006, 01:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dscpeon View Post

I was using this setting for my HD cable. I have since looked at some good Discovery channel programs and see that the colors are better using your new settings. I do get redness in the face on some other channels though. I don't have an upscale DVD player but I have been looking at them.

aahhhh that makes alot of sense now, ok. I get the same problem though im using component cables for my HDbox until i get a DVI-to-HDMI since my box doesnt have HDMI but it does have DVI.

some channels/programs/shows look amazing(mostly the HD stuff) while on the SD channels sometimes certain shows look pretty bad, but i know its not the TV instead its the broadcaster...
post #93 of 2539 Old 11-24-2006, 09:23 AM

I just bought mine from costco and I love the picture quality. Colors are great right out of the box. Much better than the Sceptre 42. I haven't calibrated it but it doesn't appear to have red push.

Anyway, is there an articulating wall mount for this tv? Vizio's own website has an articulating wall mount but only for screens 42 inch and above.

Thanks in advance.
post #94 of 2539 Old 11-24-2006, 01:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by micty View Post

I just bought mine from costco and I love the picture quality. Colors are great right out of the box. Much better than the Sceptre 42. I haven't calibrated it but it doesn't appear to have red push.

Anyway, is there an articulating wall mount for this tv? Vizio's own website has an articulating wall mount but only for screens 42 inch and above.

Thanks in advance.

Peerless makes one. Here's a link to Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/Articulating-L...&s=electronics

"you can never doubt what nobody is sure about" Willy Wonka
post #95 of 2539 Old 11-24-2006, 05:57 PM

Any VX37L owners, I would greatly appreciate your help. I have limited cabinet space in my (wife's) entertainment console, so it's a very tight squeeze for a 37" display. This is actually the first on the market to squeeze in, so I'm very excited about it. It's so tight that I'm hesitant to order it if the manufacturer doesn't have the exact measurements on their site (we're talking about 1/32" clearance here).

If there any owners who would be kind enough to do some exact measurements on the width and height, I would be very appreciative. I can get 26 1/32" height and 36 1/4" width into this thing. If the display is truly 26" tall I should be good.

If anyone is feeling particulary active post-turkey-day and can whip out the tape measure, it would raise my comfort level dramatically. I drove to the local Costco but they, oddly enough, didn't carry Vizio.

Thank you.
post #96 of 2539 Old 11-24-2006, 10:49 PM

26 heigh X 36 1/4 wide
post #97 of 2539 Old 11-25-2006, 08:49 AM

i'll go with centimeters since its a smaller number.

height: apprx 66cm
width: apprx 92cm
post #98 of 2539 Old 11-25-2006, 09:50 AM

Can someone confirm the analog (RCA) audio output:

Fixed or Variable audio out?

Thank you!

"you can never doubt what nobody is sure about" Willy Wonka
post #99 of 2539 Old 11-25-2006, 12:04 PM

Thanks for the suggestion. I actually have that mount but discovered it won't fit. Peerless doesn't have the right adaptor plate for it either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonicflood View Post

Peerless makes one. Here's a link to Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/Articulating-L...&s=electronics

post #100 of 2539 Old 11-25-2006, 12:40 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbassny View Post

Any VX37L owners, I would greatly appreciate your help. I have limited cabinet space in my (wife's) entertainment console, so it's a very tight squeeze for a 37" display. This is actually the first on the market to squeeze in, so I'm very excited about it. It's so tight that I'm hesitant to order it if the manufacturer doesn't have the exact measurements on their site (we're talking about 1/32" clearance here).

If there any owners who would be kind enough to do some exact measurements on the width and height, I would be very appreciative. I can get 26 1/32" height and 36 1/4" width into this thing. If the display is truly 26" tall I should be good.

If anyone is feeling particulary active post-turkey-day and can whip out the tape measure, it would raise my comfort level dramatically. I drove to the local Costco but they, oddly enough, didn't carry Vizio.

Thank you.

Would ventilation be a concern in a tight space?
post #101 of 2539 Old 11-25-2006, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by faceoff View Post

Would ventilation be a concern in a tight space?

I should have noted that's what's constricting the space on the top and the bottom is not the entertainment unit top and bottom, but open shelving for a center speaker (top) and cable box (bottom). So the actual opening is much larger, but the two shelves just jut into it.

Plus the AVR and all other heat generating components (other than the cable box) are below and not sharing the same space. I'm also anticipating that the LCD generates less heat than a CRT, which is currently in the same space.

I actually went to another Costco to pick the Vizio up today (yeah, I know, the day after Black Friday) but it seems many of the stores here in Long Island did not get their 11/17 shipment and are out of stock. So I'll wait until next week as nearly every store has 18 on order (or I'll order from Vizio's site). It really is a gorgeous TV, the PQ was outstanding as well. Either the employees calibrated them correctly, or the Vizio default settings are kind to Costco's source, at least kinder than the Sony Bravia and Sharp Aquos displays that couldn't hold a candle with the same source material under their default settings. Then again, if I worked at Vizio, I'd make sure the default settings worked fantastically at my number one retailer, so maybe there's something to that.

Just ordered the Marantz SR7001 and now I'm waiting for the new Oppo and I'll be all set! Thanks to all for the help.
post #102 of 2539 Old 11-25-2006, 02:16 PM
Advanced Member

post #103 of 2539 Old 11-25-2006, 05:37 PM

Went shopping for a VX37L today. Costco had none. Sam's Club had a few. I was very disappointed in the picture quality on the display unit as it was not clear and the HD logo was slightly off of the screen. It was literally the worst picture on any set in the store. I asked the Sam's electronics department guy, who has been there for years about the poor picture quality and possible wrong settings. He was less than helpful, stated there was nothing wrong with the picture (Bah Humbug). He said customers keep fooling with the antenna connections. I walked out disappointed and was wondering about Sam's return policy, whether it was as good as Costco. I did not want to buy the set and have that kind of picture quality and have return problems.

I was wondering if some of you that have this model could comment. This will be my first LCD TV purchase as I now have a Toshiba CRT HD set with a fabulous picture.

I am hoping that this is an aberration since the reviews of the VX37L have been good. I also know that the picture quality in the store is not necessarily an indicator of in home performance. Costco has the L37 model online but I like to see before I buy.

Comments greatly appreciated.

post #104 of 2539 Old 11-25-2006, 10:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by weberman View Post

Went shopping for a VX37L today. Costco had none. Sam's Club had a few. I was very disappointed in the picture quality on the display unit as it was not clear and the HD logo was slightly off of the screen. It was literally the worst picture on any set in the store. I asked the Sam's electronics department guy, who has been there for years about the poor picture quality and possible wrong settings. He was less than helpful, stated there was nothing wrong with the picture (Bah Humbug). He said customers keep fooling with the antenna connections. I walked out disappointed and was wondering about Sam's return policy, whether it was as good as Costco. I did not want to buy the set and have that kind of picture quality and have return problems.

I was wondering if some of you that have this model could comment. This will be my first LCD TV purchase as I now have a Toshiba CRT HD set with a fabulous picture.

I am hoping that this is an aberration since the reviews of the VX37L have been good. I also know that the picture quality in the store is not necessarily an indicator of in home performance. Costco has the L37 model online but I like to see before I buy.

Comments greatly appreciated.

You would not have a problem retuning the TV at Sam's club. As far as the picture quality it must have been a bad connection. As a member of Sam's club for 5 years I have returned things that I have had for a year that just stopped working without any trouble.
post #105 of 2539 Old 11-26-2006, 08:33 AM

Picked up the VX 37L yesterday and hooked it up directly to a regular coaxial cable coming from the wall using a splitter at the wall's end. The PQ is as good as the plasma downstairs hooked up thru S-video. Of course the HD is very good on both sets. I am happy with the results so far , no problems (knock on wood)
I have one request though and from Eddiedz in particular,
I dont have DVE right now and I was wondering if you can tall me the best settings for SD signal thru good ol coaxial black cable, no other fancy cables just the regular one.
Thanks for your help
post #106 of 2539 Old 11-26-2006, 10:58 AM

news flash! just incase anyone didnt stumble upon this already... the new 32" and 37" Vizio's ACCEPT 1080p via HDMI and component... it doesnt state this on the website, specs nor in the manual but its true.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=757296

I found out from someone at www.highdefforum.com ... then i went and tried it with my playstation 3, i changed the display output to 1080p and BOOM! i was getting a 1080p signal into my VX37L HAHAHA i think this is freaking cool.

720p=1280x720=921,600 pixels
1080p=1920x1080=2,073,600 pixels

the vizios display is 1366x768=1,049,088 pixels.. as someone else said "I would rather have 2,073,600 pixels being sent into a 1,049,088 pixel display instead of having 921,600 pixels being sent into a 1,049,088 pixel display.. thats 127,488 pixels the TV has to "create/add" when a 720p signal is being sent into a 768p TV.
post #107 of 2539 Old 11-26-2006, 12:01 PM

Many of us are confused about 1080p, the highest resolution in the ATSC spec book for high-definition TV. TG Daily talked with Bill Whalen, Senior Product Manager at Hitachi, who explains that while lots of TVs can take in 1080p, by the time that video is displayed it's down-rezzed to either 720p or 768p. Whelan says 1080p LCD panels are still too expensive to produce and might be more practical in 2007 or 2008. He adds that it's important to consider how you'll be using such resolution:

"If you watch TV in a distance that is less than three times the screen height of your TV, then 1080p is worth the wait. If the distance is greater than three times the screen height, then today's [720p/768p] HDTVs, such as 42" units, offer an incredible value."

Whalen wisely concludes that you should depend on your eyes when buying an HDTV set, not a bunch of numbers that often don't mean exactly what they seem.

I was going to buy a 1080P set but decided that paying more than twice as much for a 720P was not practical at this time.

EddieDZ, we seem to be following each other.

post #108 of 2539 Old 11-26-2006, 01:58 PM

oh no, yea for me i felt 1080p TV's arent worth itnow too because they're so costy too.. i mostly got a HDTV for the PS3, and for some Hd programs but mainly for the PS3 to play games and watch blu-ray movies.. i know right from the start the only thing taking advantage of 1080p on the PS3 are the blu-ray movies while its still going to be quit some time before games come out in 1080p so i felt it wasnt worth getting such a Tv.. for me 768p is just perfect... however im already planning on picking up something alittle bigger to take advantage of 1080p.. probably like a 42"-46" but this wont be in another 4-5yrs or so.
post #109 of 2539 Old 11-26-2006, 09:13 PM

http://gallery.avsforum.com/showphot...ppuser/7647205

This is using eddiedz settings and using Verizon Fios HDDVR outputting 1080i. I did not freeze the picture so some blurring is because of motion.
post #110 of 2539 Old 11-27-2006, 06:30 AM

DAMNNNNNN!!! not fair.. how did you watch the macy thanksgiving parade in HD!??!!? thats just not fair... over here i notice that it was on NBC HD when i saw the little logo at the bottom left corner.. so i changed the channel to the NBC HD and BOOM!! it wasnt on.. it was some "america's thanksgiving parade" or some crap like that, but it sure as hell wasnt the macy's parade... damn Canadian broadcasters!!! that looks freaking awesome, the colors are just down right perfect .... thats via HDMI right? .. now i just need a better camera for mines
post #111 of 2539 Old 11-27-2006, 07:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddiedz View Post

DAMNNNNNN!!! not fair.. how did you watch the macy thanksgiving parade in HD!??!!? thats just not fair... over here i notice that it was on NBC HD when i saw the little logo at the bottom left corner.. so i changed the channel to the NBC HD and BOOM!! it wasnt on.. it was some "america's thanksgiving parade" or some crap like that, but it sure as hell wasnt the macy's parade... damn Canadian broadcasters!!! that looks freaking awesome, the colors are just down right perfect .... thats via HDMI right? .. now i just need a better camera for mines

Yes, it is via HDMI and the picture was taken with a Canon a510. You can see part of Macy's sign near Al's head. I think the time was around 11:30 am CST.
post #112 of 2539 Old 11-27-2006, 08:04 AM
Advanced Member

so - you guys happy with the TVs?
post #113 of 2539 Old 11-27-2006, 09:10 AM

post #114 of 2539 Old 11-27-2006, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by faceoff View Post

so - you guys happy with the TVs?

Yes, I am pleased so far. The PQ is great for the money and no pixels are bad. HD channels are beautiful with no pixelation that I can see. Motion is not blurry except for if the camera is moving quickly. Football games look great to me. The Discovery channel just blows you away with its scenery on this TV. Also, movies that are shown on HDNet are so crisp and sharp that they make you to want a HD dvd player.

SD channels are good too but if you get close to the screen you will see the pixels changing and blurring. Sitting at a normal distance it is fine. We watch the Disney channel with our daughter all the time. The size of the screen helps to hide this pixel movement and blurring from where we sit 8 to 10 feet away.

The only problem I have had was when I hooked up my dvd player to my component input and the tv locked up and I had to unplug it. After I got it back on and played a dvd for about an hour, the tv turned off. It has since worked flawlessly.

The sound is ok in stereo but the surround sound option is bad. I had to turn it off.
post #115 of 2539 Old 11-28-2006, 08:00 PM

I just picked up a VX37L last week at Costco as well. The first night I watched "Pitch Black" on DVD plumbed into one of the component video inputs. I had left all the settings alone and selected movie mode. The colors were way too saturated and the bright sky was totally washed out (contrast way too high).

Obviously the default movie mode setting was not going to cut it, why would the default be this bad and unusable? Time for custom settings... but where to start? I did a lot of reading and cranked the backlight way down to 15, then put in a DVD with THX optimizer (Cars) and adjusted the brightness and contrast and turned the color down. Much better, but still have the bright sky washing out a bit while watching D*TV satellite. Next I read this site and tried the settings posted earlier in this thread which were very near what I had. The settings I'm using now are:

Backlight ___ 20
Contrast ___ 70 (might lower this a bit more)
Brightness __ 44
Color ______ 32
Tint ________ 0
Sharpness __ 4
Color Temp __ Normal

I have the VX37L connected to a Hughes HBH-SA satellite receiver using the S-video connection (no component vid available on this receiver). The biggest problem I had was terrible audio clipping on high frequency voice peaks coming from the satellite receiver. The satellites pre-amp audio output is much higher than the DVDs audio output, perhaps the Vizio cannot tolerate this high of amplitude and maybe a pad would be required. Finally I turned surround off in the Vizio audio menu and the clipping went away, bass frequencies were more pronounced and the overall volume dropped. problem solved for now.

Next I connected the off-air antenna and hit the channel search. To my surprise, I picked up 5 digital stations. The 1280i HD stations are nothing if not impressive, the HD picture is clean and crisp and almost looks like 3-D. This puts Std. DVD and the std. satellite pictures to shame, Wow!

Now I'm not going to be happy unless I can get the satellite picture a degree or two better. Need to try and find a receiver with a HDMI connection. Anyone know of a good non-HD sat receiver for use with the Vizio? I don't feel like paying extra for HD programming when it will be standard in a few years.

The DVD quality is not too bad with the component connection (Cars is awesome on the VX37L). But I wonder if I would notice a difference with a better DVD player as well, maybe something like the Oppo DV-971H. I hate to spend the extra $200 just to find out...

The remote control for the Vizio is so-so, the back-light does not stay on long enough for me to read the tiny buttons, oh yea, did I mention the buttons were tiny? The remote / VX37L also seems to glitch every once in a while when I am bashing my way through some of the menus. The TV just shuts off in protest! Also you must have careful aim of the remote before the TV responds. I don't think it is the remote because it seems to work OK with the other components.

Migrating from an 18 year old 27" CRT TV (the good ol faithful Emerson) to this display is going to take some getting used to. I never noticed the flaws in the video before, but I can sure see them now!
post #116 of 2539 Old 11-28-2006, 08:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonicflood View Post

Can someone confirm the analog (RCA) audio output:

Fixed or Variable audio out?

Thank you!

In case you haven't already found out, the RCA audio output is variable with the normal volume control. I set mine to about +25 then pump it to the stereo amplifier. This lets the VX37L act kind of like a center channel while the stereo fills the rest of the room.
post #117 of 2539 Old 11-28-2006, 10:02 PM

Has anyone experienced an "echo" when running sound through a stereo system?

My Vizio has this "issue" when I run high def off the air programs through my stereo surround system. The TV sound is slightly ahead of the stereo sound.

I end up turning off the TV speakers in order to use the surround sound system. Its not that new - there's no HDMI connector, just component red/white/yellow connectors in the back of the stereo.

Otherwise I love the 37" Vizio LCD screen. PQ is great, although I am looking ot upgrade my DVD player (its about 3 years old anyway)...
post #118 of 2539 Old 11-29-2006, 10:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by p7m8jg View Post

Has anyone experienced an "echo" when running sound through a stereo system?

I checked mine tonight and no echo. I have the audio out (RCA jacks) on the Vizio connected to the audio in of my receiver. Then run the Vizio audio level to about 25-30. With OTA, DVD or satellite the vizio audio is in sync with the stereo receiver.

If I run audio into the stereo and the vizio from the same source, then yes there is an echo. It takes a bit of time for the vizio to crunch on the video data, it delays the audio so that the final video is in sync with the audio, this is normal. The RCA audio out of the vizio should have the proper delay on it for your receiver.
post #119 of 2539 Old 11-29-2006, 11:14 PM

Anyone know of an online retailer that sells this model? I can't seem to find any.

Thanks
post #120 of 2539 Old 11-30-2006, 07:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motleyscrew View Post

Anyone know of an online retailer that sells this model? I can't seem to find any.

Thanks

You can buy it direct from Vizio. Their customer service department sounds pretty good from what I've read, and one of their sales reps is on these boards as well, which I give them credit for.

Costco.com also sells it but their website hasn't updated to the new model yet (the VX37L is Item # 237371 at Costco, the old model is Item # 137371), though it lists both item numbers on the page, which is a little risky if you ask me. Sam's Club does not offer this model online (as of 11/30/06).
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page