Vizio 37" (VX37L) LCD HDTV Official Thread - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 2539 Old 11-07-2006, 01:00 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Post your opinion, setting, problems, experience, pictures or anything that is related to the the new vizio vx37L model. If you follow vizio's registration page, it has the vx32L model listed, so expect the 32" VX to be release soon.

product link
VX37L

VW37L (Walmart only version)

Exactly the same as the VX37L but missing some feature such as Zoom/PIP.
product link

* High resolution 1366 X 768 pixels wide screen - 16:9 ratio
* No bright pixel defects - Guaranteed
* No permanent burn in - Guaranteed
* Ideal in bright-light environments - minimal glare
* Digital HDTV & standard TV combination tuner
* All TV formats supported (1080i, 720p, 480p, 480i)
* Computer monitor (RGB) up to 1366 X 768 WXGA
* Wall mounting capable with or without speakers
* Typical lamp life of 50,000 hours, equivalent to 22 years*

Specification
Size: 37-in*
*Viewable: 37-in
Tuner: Integrated NTSC/ATSC/QAM HDTV Tuner

Format
1080i, 720p, 720i, 576p, 576i, 480p, 480i

Maximum Panel Resolution: 1366 x 768

Supported Native Resolutions
1366 x 768, 1280 x 720, 1024 x 768, 854 x 480, 800 x 600

Specification for the VX37L
Panel Type: 37" Diagonal*, 16:9 Wide Screen, Color TFT Active Matrix LCD
Panel Specifications: Anti-Static and hard coated surface
Pixel/Dot Pitch: 0.6mm (H) x 0.6mm (V)
Display Compatibility: HDTV (1080i)
Signal Compatibility: 480i (SDTV), 480P (EDTV), 720P (HDTV), 1080i (HDTV)
Response Time: 8 ms (typical)
Colors: 8 bit 16.77 Million colors
Brightness: 500 cd/m2 (typical)
Contrast Ratio: 1000:1
Viewable Angle: >178 degrees (horizontal and vertical)

Inputs
RF(F Connector for internal Tuner: 1
HDMI whith HDCP: 2
Analog Stereo Audio for HDMI Inputs: 1
Component YPbPr plus Stereo Audio: 2
Composite Video: 2
S-Video plus Stereo Audio: 1
Computer RGB plus Stereo Audio: 1
Service Port: 1

Outputs
Analog Audio out (RCA): 1
5.1 SPDIF Digital Optical Audio: 1
Headphone (Stereo Mini-Jack): 0

Additional Information
Picture-in-Picture (PIP)
Picture-outside-Picture (POP)
Closed Caption (CC)
V-Chip
3D Comb Filter
Zoom
Freeze
3:2 or 2:2 Reverse Pull-down
ATSC with 8VSB & QAM demodulation
ATSC with MPEG-2 decoding
NTSC Video decoding via RF: Yes, thru Antenna, Cable, or Satellite
NTSC Video decoding via Video: Yes, thru CVBS, S-Video, or Component
Progressive Scan Video: Yes, thru Component YPbPr, VGA or HDMI
HDTV: Yes, thru HDMI or Component YPbPr
Computer: 640x480, 800x600, 1024x768 thru VGA or 640x480 thru HDMI
Sound enhancement: Yes, MTK
Color Temperature: 6500K (standard), 5400K and 9300K
Color Fine Tuning: Independent Red, Green and Blue
Audio: Built-in 10W x 2
Lamp (LCD) / Panel (PDP) Life: 60000 hours
Power: IEC Connector for direct power line connection
Voltage Range100 ~ 240 Vac at 50/60 HzW average
Power Consumption: 210
Removable Base

Weight
Gross:54 lbs
Net: 42 lbs
Without Stand: 40 lbs
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2539 Old 11-07-2006, 02:49 PM

Hmm...interesting, any word on release dates for the VX32L?
post #3 of 2539 Old 11-07-2006, 03:00 PM

we started talking about this over on the Vizio L37 thread, but if i am not mistaken someone already made a VX37L thread over a week ago i believe. would this be the official thread now or what? is there a way to transfer all the post from the other VX37L thread into here?
post #4 of 2539 Old 11-07-2006, 09:19 PM

I owned a L32 for a couple of months, then L37 for about three months and now a VX37L from our local Sams Club for two days.
I was pretty happy with the L37 except for the crappy remote and "buzzing" when the backlight was tuned down below 92. The QAM HD picture was outstanding on the L37..

Good things about the VX37 compared to the L37:
1. I have the VX37L hooked to TWC cable without a STB. True 16x9 1080I HD material via QAM looks great as does DVD 720P input via HDMI from Samsung HD850 DVD player.
2. The new backlit remote is much better, I no longer have to worry about carefully aiming it.
3. Don't have any "buzzing" related to SETUP setting of the backlight. I have it about 45 right now.
4. Much more elegant appearance and more compact design. Smaller physical box.
5. More control over picture in SETUP menu. Color tempature and red, green. blue custom settings without going into service menu.
6. Slightly better black levels.
7. Others have reported much better SD picture on the VX37L compared to the L37. My L37 SD reception through QAM was pretty good, while the NTSC analog SD varied all over the map in quality. On the whole., I would say the VX37L NTSC SD quality is much more consistant than on the L37.
8. I would say the stretch modes for SD are much improved over the L37 and somewhat more seamless in operation.

Bad things about the VX37 compared to the L37:
1. On my TWC cable system, the QAM channels lose there skip channel settings over a power on/off cycle. The L37 did not do this on the same cable outlet. I have read a report of a L42 also doing this. The analog channels retain their SKIP CHANNEL settings correctly.
Note: from Vizio techsupport says this "skip channel" problem is due to my cable company even though it worked on L32 and L37 from same cable outlet.

2. The sound quality on my L37 was pretty good and I don't think the VX37L is quite as good. This is very hard to quantify without a true A-B comparisom.
3. Since the L37 had seperate tuners, you could do a picture- in-picture with a QAM channel and a NTSC channel. You can't do this on the VX37L. Single RF input may cause complications for people with both cable and a OTA antenna.
4. Loss of L37's ADD CHANNEL scan, which I used a lot. On VX37L, you must to a complete channel scan which loses all your skip channel settings.

Odd things about the VX37:

1. The large Vizio logo is used as the power indication and brightens up when the set is turned on....

I will be trying OTA in a few days, my L37 had a hard time with OTA due to multi-path signals using a small indoor antenna.

Last night, I tried OTA with a small indoor antenna (a silver sensor type) and it worked about like I expected it to. The program guide stuff worked, but the font seemed to "picked" for a larger screen size(L42?). The ATSC channels do retain their SKIP CHANNEL settings over a power on/off cycle unlike the QAM channels. If, you have a poor OTA signal, you will get picture glitches and audio sync problems just as you will with other ATSC tuners. If you have a strong clean OTA signal, it's picture is usually is better than the same channel over cable. To me, the "assigned" OTA channel numbers logically where they should be, unlike the TWC QAM channel numbers.

So far, HD TV/ HDMI 720P DVD picture(s) continue to be excellant and the SD is better than the L37. The remote control works SO MUCH better. My only complaint is the SKIP CHANNEL issue with QAM. If you're using an OTA antenna, or cable/sat with a set top box it's no an issue.

VX37L is a lot of bang for the buck.

VX37L Wish List:
1. Ability to enter my own channel name/description for each channel.
2. Ability to channel scan again (add channel function) without losing any previously entered skip channel settings.
3. Optical audio out for analogue channels in addition to the digital channels.
4. Way to disable "HDMI audio is not supported" warning message when using external sound system with DD5.1 audio from DVD player. A minor annoyance.

Other VX37L owners, let us hear your thoughts/results.
post #5 of 2539 Old 11-08-2006, 05:27 AM

I purchased the VX37 from Costco this week and so far I like it. I have Verizon Fios and therefore I have great quality input but I need to tweek the settings to get it to look the best. If someone has calibrated this set and can share their settings that would be great. It seems I get the settings close for one channel and it doesn't work for another. I believe this is a problem with the broadcast though. I do not see any problem with pixelation or motion blurring or ghosting. It just seems the default settings on "standard" are oversaturated on some channels. The Opry Winfrey show on HD had Oprey looking yellowish on the "standard" setting. I'm not sure if this is the VX37 or the station.

I was able to use the VX37 remote to control all my functions on my Fios DVR box which was great. The VX37 remote is backlit but the lettering is hard to see in the dark until you hit a button and the light comes on.
post #6 of 2539 Old 11-09-2006, 08:04 AM

I used some of the settings from the L37 postings and came up with a very good picture for viewing both SD and HD at least for me on my VX37. Here are the numbers:

Backlight 75
Contrast 64
Brightness 49
Color 48
Tint +5
Sharpness 0
Color Temp Warm

If you have calibrated your VX37, please post your numbers. I am now satisfied with the picture quality. We watched an HD Discovery Channel show on Disneyworld and it was like we were looking thru a window at it. I still need to hook up a good dvd player to it and hook up the Nintendo Wii we are getting for Christmas to fully evaluate it, but VX37 looks good to me so far.
post #7 of 2539 Old 11-09-2006, 10:35 AM

i finally ran DVE calibration disc through my DVD player via component, the numbers i came out with where:

backlight: variable depending on lighting condition. used 20 for calibration since it was night time with no lights on.
contrast: 70
brightness: 42
color: 36 (using DVE's color filters to calibrate)
tint: 0
sharpness: 3
color temp: normal

i then tried these same settings on my other component input which is for my HD PVR digital terminal but found it abit too dark. Im assuming this either has to be the fact that its a different input, though since it was still component i figured it would be the same, OR!! the broadcast signals and HD box are causing the darken picture.. in either case i have it set up as follow:

backlight: variable
brightness: 44
color: 36
sharpness: 3

the only difference was the brightness... tonite i am going to run my DVE one more time on the DVD player to make sure all the settings are perferct since it was a late night last nite. then i'll switch back to my HD box input and see if it still looks abit dark, theres some HD shows im going to watch tonite so it'll be a great timing.

i still have a hard time adjusting the contrast since the contrast portion of DVE is focused on CRT displays. i found 80-90 and above was too high contrast makeing the whites blends into each other.. and 55-ish and below made the blacks blend into each other. sharpness i found 5 and above added alot of edge enhancement and 0-1 was way to soft.. 2-3-4 were the best so i went with 2 as it maintain sharp picture with NO edge enhancement. i kept the color temp at normal for calibration purposes but i find normal works perfect.. cool adds a blue tint to everything and warm just adds a slight red tint. color and brightness are the easiest to calibrate for .

dscpeon-
what did you use to calibrate your display?
post #8 of 2539 Old 11-09-2006, 01:43 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldemanphil View Post

I owned a L32 for a couple of months, then L37 for about three months and now a VX37L from our local Sams Club for two days.
I was pretty happy with the L37 except for the crappy remote and "buzzing" when the backlight was tuned down below 92. The QAM HD picture was outstanding on the L37..

Good things about the VX37 compared to the L37:
1. I have the VX37L hooked to TWC cable without a STB. True 16x9 1080I HD material via QAM looks great as does DVD 720P input via HDMI from Samsung HD850 DVD player.
2. The new backlit remote is much better, I no longer have to worry about carefully aiming it.
3. Don't have any "buzzing" related to SETUP setting of the backlight. I have it about 45 right now.
4. Much more elegant appearance and more compact design. Smaller physical box.
5. More control over picture in SETUP menu. Color tempature and red, green. blue custom settings without going into service menu.
6. Slightly better black levels.
7. Others have reported much better SD picture on the VX37L compared to the L37. My L37 SD reception through QAM was pretty good, while the NTSC analog SD varied all over the map in quality. On the whole., I would say the VX37L NTSC SD quality is much more consistant than on the L37.
8. I would say the stretch modes for SD are much improved over the L37 and somewhat more seamless in operation.

Bad things about the VX37 compared to the L37:
1. On my TWC cable system, the QAM channels lose there skip channel settings over a power on/off cycle. The L37 did not do this on the same cable outlet. I have read a report of a L42 also doing this. The analog channels retain there skip channel settings correctly.
2. The sound quality on my L37 was pretty good and I don't think the VX37L is quite as good. This is very hard to quantify without atrue A-B comparisom.
3. Since the L37 had seperate tuners, you could do a picture- in-picture with a QAM channel and a NTSC channel. You can't do this on the VX37L. Single RF input may cause complications for people with both cable and a OTA antenna.

Odd things about the VX37:

1. The large Vizio logo is used as the power indication and brightens up when the set is turned on....

I will be trying OTA in a few days, my L37 had a hard time with OTA due to multi-path signals using a small indoor antenna.

Other VX37L owners, let us hear your thoughts/results.

Good info. I was on the fend with the L32 Model but the new Vx37L definitely is my main choice for a budget bedroom TV. Also Vizio's 37 LCD are the top ranked LCD in the market for its price and technology. Beating out Westinghouse, Olivia, Sharp.
post #9 of 2539 Old 11-09-2006, 05:50 PM

afew pics of my vizio VX37L in high definition. the camera is not that great, it takes dirty fuzy pictures, sorry

thumbnails

the HD programs look amazing with great colors and deep uniform blacks.. i did notice a stuck pixel however. its in the upper left quadrant, its a green sub-pixel, its pretty bright too, bright enough that its noticeable in a fully darken scene from 7-8ft away . afew inches to the left of it and down is a tiny portion of a red sub-pixel also stuck, this one however is very hard to notice. im going to call vizio tomorrow morning, i rather not take this TV back cause im back home in Canada and i brought it in cape cod, MA and theres no way in hell im paying to ship this TV to vizio and pay for shipping back... im just curious as to what they'll say about this since they have the "no bright pixel guarantee"
post #10 of 2539 Old 11-09-2006, 07:54 PM

I just returned my phillips 42 9630 plasma back to costco after suffering a severe crash. Owned it for 9 mos. great picture and all. Repair said it would take over 2 weeks for repair assuming parts are available, plus repair time. Paying $2500 + i was not to receptive. Back to costco i wasn't sure what i was going to replace it with. Saw the vx37 looked very good. (reluctive) Made the purchase. Wife thinks that the vx37 is equal or better than the phillips. I think this time i will agree with her. I must say that this new vizio kicks butt. I'll keep my fingers crossed and hope it stays that way.
post #11 of 2539 Old 11-09-2006, 07:56 PM

Hi Eddiedz. Nice setup. I'm considering this TV for mainly SD viewing. Do you have any pictures of yours showing SD?

Thanks,
Joe
post #12 of 2539 Old 11-09-2006, 10:53 PM

Eddiedz can you calibrate it thru the hdmi connection or if anyone else has it can they post it please
post #13 of 2539 Old 11-10-2006, 04:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddiedz View Post

dscpeon-
what did you use to calibrate your display?

I didn't calibrate it. I got my settings from the L37 postings. I like the warm setting because I like the red tint better but normal is ok too. I will try your settings out tonight. I am using the hdmi input, will that make a difference?

How do you post pictures on this forum? Do you have to have a certain number of postings to allow that or is that just for adding links? I want to show off my Vizio.
post #14 of 2539 Old 11-10-2006, 08:24 AM

I bought a L37 a few months ago but unfortunately it decided that it didn't want to respond to any remote control one day. The tv was great and although it lacked some technical specs (contrast ratio, color temp adjustment etc) it had the best set of inputs of any LCD within $700 of its price. So I decided to take it back to Costco and replace it with the new VX37L only to get it home and discover two bright pixels. One white and one with a green tint. It drove me crazy, partly because the stupid TV has this guarantee about bright pixels written on the box and that my L37 hadn't one bright pixel!

Additionally, I did notice that the screen had some areas of brightness when displaying a dark image. i.e. displaying a black background looked inconsistent in different areas of the screen. (also not present on the L37)

I returned the VX37L and now am with out HDTV and had to watch the Rutgers game on my 19" monitor...UGH!

So now I'm hesitant to by another vizio but just as hesitant to drop $700 more just to get a TV that will allow PC widescreen resolutions to work. I can't afford to go to costco only to pick up another VX37L only to be faced with the bright pixel again.

I know that theres a chance for LCDs to have pixel defects but I have yet to experience a dead or bright pixel until this VX37L. Perhaps my luck has run out...
post #15 of 2539 Old 11-10-2006, 03:13 PM

atlr1-

no i dont have/didnt take any pics while watching SD content.. the SD content looks like my old 11yr old 27" CRT sharp TV, however you can notice more how some programs look worst then others but overall its certainly not that bad. another thing is that i dont have any "true" SD content coming into my TV.. my HD PVR terminal is doing all the converting.. i have it set to output HD content as 720p and non-HD content as 720p also.. so when i hit "info" on the vizio's remote it tells me "Resolution: 720p" for both HD programs/channels and SD programs/channels. however DVD's look GREAT! at 480p via component.

petsik-
i cant calibrate it via HDMI cause i have no source for HDMI until i get my Playstation 3.. only then will i use my DVE to calibrate it via HDMI.. im going to use my PS3 pretty much for everything(picture view, PS2/PS3 games, DVD's and blu-ray movies)

dscpeon-
oh i see.. i used component inputs for my calibration not HDMI and yea i do believe it will make a difference in color and brightness etc..

JeffyB23-
WHOA!!!! dude you didnt have to return the TV.. i do have a birght pixel but its only a sub-pixel green.. your white pixel must be the entire pixel! which is not good at all.. and having two of them is horrible.. all you had to do was call Vizio tech support and they arrange to replace your TV with a new one.. i just got off the phone with them regarding my stuck pixel, she said "well it falls under our no bright pixel guaranteed policy so let me get your information so we can arrange for a replacement" .. i asked if i had to pay for anything like shipping she said NO!! thats the purpose to our policy/warranty.. she said they ship a new TV to the house for free and take back the broken one.. however since i am in Canada and i purchased the TV in Mass. they are unable to send me a new TV nor send a technicial up here to view it . she said my TV still has the one year warranty so if i ever get a chance to go back down to the U.S. i'll have to bring the TV with me then give them a call again..

there really wasnt any point to taking it back to costco... LCD's natually inherit dead/stuck pixels.. its like a natual phenomena LOL!!.. thank god my is only green so its part of the sub-pixel rather then the entire RGB pixel itself.. and its ONLY noticeable in fully darken scene at 6ft away.. but since me and my wife know its already there we can notice it abit if we look carefully at it from 8ft away in a darken room during a really dark scene..
post #16 of 2539 Old 11-10-2006, 07:02 PM

eddiedz

Thank you for your post. Its good to know that Vizio is responsive and I think your experience has led me to feel like I can take another chance on the Vizio. I really like the looks and the features of the VX37L...but two bad Vizios in 24 hour period kind of put a sour taste in my mouth for a bit. Fortunately for Vizio, the VX37L is such a good deal that I'm willing to give it another try.

I have looked everywhere and nothing comes close to the VX37L on features let alone the price.
post #17 of 2539 Old 11-10-2006, 09:18 PM

I re-calibrated my display and these are the true final numbers.

input: component
DVD @ 480p
backlight: 10(fully dark room) 40(lit room) 70(sunny bright room)
sharpness: 03

HD PVR terminal @ 720p
backlight: " "
contrast: 74
brightness: 46

i knew i had the brightness off abit and the contrast... DVD's look GREAT and HD programs now look better, before it was way to dark and almost seem like it had black crush, but then again i had the brightness like at 43 lol.. its probably safe to go up to 47-48 on the brightness depending on view conditions etc...
post #18 of 2539 Old 11-11-2006, 08:43 PM

So I got my VX37L a couple of nights ago and started using a Comcast Moto HD DVR with it and I'm wondering if it makes any difference what setting I have on the box's output (ie. 720p, 1080i etc).

It's currently set to 1080i and the picture looks good. Do I have anything to gain from switching it to 720p?

Just wondering.

Thanks in advance for any thoughts.

"In the pants of peace there are always pockets of resistance."
post #19 of 2539 Old 11-12-2006, 04:50 AM

most certainly switch that over to 720p!, that was like the first thing i did when i got my HD box, everything HD and non-HD is being converted to 720p by the box this way the TV doesnt have to do the work, plus the native screen of your tv is 720p
post #20 of 2539 Old 11-12-2006, 08:55 AM

We got the new model a few days ago, after an exchange at Costco from the old one. We were really unhappy with the tv tuner for OTA. It is sooo much better on the VX!!! We don't have to play with our antenna anymore.

The set is also a little bit smaller and looks a lot nicer.

Very happy with the switch!

Using it with Oppo 970 and xbox 360 mainly.
post #21 of 2539 Old 11-12-2006, 06:46 PM

I also picked this set up on Thursday and so far so good. I have not experienced any of the problems associated with the other Vizio LCDs. No buzzing, no popping, no bright pixels, very good picture quality. I am using directv as my service provider with their HR-20 HD DVR, HDMI imput. I am going to pick up a spyder TV to calibrate in the next week or so and I will post my findings.
post #22 of 2539 Old 11-12-2006, 11:03 PM - Thread Starter

I have a universal remote that came with my home sound system. Vizio isn't a huge mainstream brand, so I'm having trouble looking for a code that will work with this TV. Does anybody know the code that will work with this TV?
post #23 of 2539 Old 11-13-2006, 05:20 AM

looking forward to that spyderTV calibration results.. i used DVE(digital video essentails)
post #24 of 2539 Old 11-13-2006, 05:31 AM

Quote:

most certainly switch that over to 720p!, that was like the first thing i did when i got my HD box, everything HD and non-HD is being converted to 720p by the box this way the TV doesnt have to do the work, plus the native screen of your tv is 720p

I set my box to 1080i and it looks great. The question is does the Vizio do a better job down converting to the screen resolution than the box does if the broadcast is 1080i. I am not sure the box is better. I had the box set to 720P at first but a friend who had the same box and Fios service had his 720P plasma set to 1080i by Verizon at installation. I called them and asked them what setting should I use and they said which ever one looks the best. What is really interesting to me is viewing movies on HD channels like HDnet. I would rather view them there than on DVD since I don't own a progressive scan DVD player. I'm wondering if the PQ will be as good if I got a new DVD player.
post #25 of 2539 Old 11-13-2006, 07:13 AM

Quote:

I re-calibrated my display and these are the true final numbers.

DVD @ 480p
backlight: 10(fully dark room) 40(lit room) 70(sunny bright room)

HD PVR terminal @ 720p
backlight: " "
contrast: 74
brightness: 46

i knew i had the brightness off abit and the contrast... DVD's look GREAT and HD programs now look better, before it was way to dark and almost seem like it had black crush, but then again i had the brightness like at 43 lol.. its probably safe to go up to 47-48 on the brightness depending on view conditions etc...

I used your original settings and they looked better than what I was using except for the brightness. The new brightness setting for the PVR input is about right for most programming. Thanks for the info. I him quite pleased with this set and the PQ I am getting. The sound is good too if you are used to a old stereo 27 inch Magnavox. The only problem with the surround setting in the audio is I can't hear the announcers on the football games because of the sound from the field overwhelms them. If I turn the surround off I can hear them but the sound quality is not as good.
post #26 of 2539 Old 11-13-2006, 10:31 AM

Is there a CableCard slot in this unit?
post #27 of 2539 Old 11-13-2006, 11:38 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by alphabet View Post

Is there a CableCard slot in this unit?

Nope.
Cablecard usually only comes with expensive set, like the sony.
post #28 of 2539 Old 11-13-2006, 11:48 AM

eddiedz:
what settings did you get using DVE? I am going to give that a try first, then once I order the spyder do a comparison.

alphabet:

sorry no cable card.
post #29 of 2539 Old 11-13-2006, 02:36 PM

Need some actual user advice on this TV. I was about to pull the trigger on a 37" LG LCD because of all the really good reports related to its analog SD performance and sound quality. I keep coming back to this set because of the lower price and generally positive feedback. Based on the fact that I will only use this for Analog SD cable (COAX from wall to tv) and up-convert DVD player with the built-in speakers, would you still recommend it based on your SD and DVD experience? Thanks
post #30 of 2539 Old 11-13-2006, 02:45 PM

Quick question...

Has anyone tried hooking this up to a PC?

If so:

VGA or DVI-HDMI?
What resolution?
1:1 Mapping or overscan?

Thanks for the help!
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page