Official Sony Bravia LCD Uneven Backlight/Cloudy Thread - Page 130 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
View Poll Results: Does your Sony 46" XBR LCD suffer from an uneven backlight or cloudy background?
YES, clouds can been seen when dark colors are displayed or when switching inputs 1,299 69.13%
NO, my screen has a perfect, fully even, backlight 580 30.87%
Voters: 1879. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 

post #3871 of 9118 Old 01-16-2007, 09:04 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambot View Post

Well said, good man!

Yeah, she's a little more fetching than Pearl Forester!

GT: irunnoft
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3872 of 9118 Old 01-16-2007, 09:05 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KC2 View Post

This is what I was thinking... thanks for calling btw!

Anything for my fellow AVSers. Don't mention it.

post #3873 of 9118 Old 01-16-2007, 10:06 PM

Thank you for contacting Sony Online Support.

We understand that you have query regarding firmware update. We would like to inform that the Sony BRAVIA line of flat-panel LCD televisions reflects our commitment to the highest picture quality standards. The KDL-40XBR2/3 and KDL-46XBR2/3 series televisions have received exceptionally high ratings for picture performance from many well respected home theater sources, including the Editor?s Choice Award from CNET? and critics at Sound & Vision Magazine.

To achieve this high level of performance and picture clarity, Sony utilizes a very bright backlight setting. This helps deliver the brightest picture possible, as well as exceptional picture clarity even in the darkest image sources.

However, the setting, under certain dark viewing conditions, especially blank screens with no video source, may cause the screens on some of these televisions to exhibit slightly uneven uniformity. This condition is not usually visible under typical viewing conditions, such as watching movies or television programming, and generally should not affect your viewing experience.

Should you find that this condition does affect your viewing enjoyment; there are a few settings that you can make to minimize this condition:

* Setup Menu --> Light Sensor: ON
* Setup Menu --> Power Saving: Low or High
* Picture Menu --> Reduce the Backlight Level (Factory Setting: 10)

A combination of the above changes may be applied as necessary.

If your television still does not meet with your approval after these setting adjustments, Sony Electronics will provide a Self Service Software Update that will further minimize the condition. Upon request, Sony will ship this update with directions directly to you when it becomes available in mid-February.

All terms of your Sony limited warranty continue to apply. We apologize for any inconvenience that this may cause, and we continue to stand behind our product and our loyal customers.

Please contact Sony at 1-800-222-SONY (7669) for more information.

Thank you for the opportunity to be of assistance.

Your Sony Email Response Team
CP98
Samuel

This message and any attachments are solely for the use of intended recipients. They may contain privileged and/or confidential information. If you are not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that you received this email in error, and that any review, dissemination, distribution or copying of this email and any attachment is strictly prohibited. If you receive this email in error please contact the sender and delete the message and any attachments associated therewith from your computer. Your cooperation in this matter is appreciated.

i got this email from sony

post #3874 of 9118 Old 01-16-2007, 10:41 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidd2446 View Post

We would like to inform that the Sony BRAVIA line of flat-panel LCD televisions reflects our commitment to the highest picture quality standards.

Sony 46" 1080p in front of Sharp 52" 1080p.Both with no image.Any light you see on the sharp is a reflection from my computer screen,it is solid and black.The Sony is from Oct 2006.

Who are you going to believe,me or your lying eyes?
post #3875 of 9118 Old 01-16-2007, 10:49 PM

Ok, I am going to attempt to link some images here, hang in there with me if I have trouble.

All images were taken with a:
Canon A620
Aperature: F/4.0
2 second shutter

The only variance I made was the ISO Speed

Taken on ISO 50

I think the way my set looks is somewhere between the ISO 50 and ISO 100 picture. It has a slight case of the clouds, but I notice it, and that is the problem for me.

Taken on ISO 100

Taken on ISO 200 (this shows more detail, but is not what my set looks like to the naked eye)

Here is one with the light on and ISO 50. You can see that the clouding is there even with a lighted room.

Granted there are some JPG artifacts in these since they are compressed down from 3072x2304 to 1024x768 and the quality was reduced to conserve file size, but I think they get the point across.
post #3876 of 9118 Old 01-16-2007, 10:56 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4yamahas View Post

What happens to all the returned tvs ? Do they get the patch and end up being sold again as new ? If I take mine back to switch it out how will I know its not one thats been worked on and sent back out as new ?

I would love to know this too
post #3877 of 9118 Old 01-16-2007, 11:12 PM

Well I certainly have a delima now. My return window of time will likely expire before the patch is available, so do I risk waiting for the patch or not? I have a good 46XBR2 but I also have a bad 40XBR2 that I got for the kids. I had already decided to go back to BB tomorrow to talk to the Magnolia supervisor about what to do. They pulled two new sets down for me to preview when I returned the last 40XBR2. The 2500 model I ugraded before also had clouds although I returned it primarily because it didn't support 1080p over VGA for the XBOX 360. This is all complicated by the fact that I got the 40 for a great price because of the internet pricing mess up BB had a little while back. I'll talk to the supervisor about it and see what h has to say about it all. I'll post the results of my conversation here sometime tomorrow. I hope he will give me a bit of an extension on the time so I could at least give the firmware patch a try. We'll see. Wish me luck!

P.S. You know for the 46", I would love to "upgrade" the 40" to a Pioneer 1080p plasma and let the kids have my good 46XBR2, but the price point is just to dang high! Man I wish this crap wasn't happening. I'd much rather just have a defect free experience in all this...

Jeff
post #3878 of 9118 Old 01-17-2007, 12:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sturmonium View Post

I've been researching the Sony KDL-40V2500 on this forum. I was all ready to buy one and then I found this thread. Since I haven't bought one yet, I was wondering what your advice would be. Should I wait to purchase, is there a good substitute set, or should I just take my chances and get one now?

Hi Sturmonium. I wish I could give you some info on which set to buy, but I'm relatively new to all this. I would advise anyone thinking about purchasing this set right now to wait a little while. I just purchased mine this past Saturday, and I'll be packing it back up and returning it Friday. It's just too much money to spend on a crapshoot. You simply don't know what you're going to get. Good luck with your decision.
post #3879 of 9118 Old 01-17-2007, 12:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PetiePal View Post

Thanks for posting that link. I put a cite and link to it up on my blog.
We're trying to chronicle as much info as we can there, so there's not crazy forum searching.

Great initiative - don't forget though, the 40/46V2500 (W2000 in Europe) are equally affected (all Sony Full HD seems to be).
post #3880 of 9118 Old 01-17-2007, 03:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ransome View Post

Sony 46" 1080p in front of Sharp 52" 1080p.Both with no image.Any light you see on the sharp is a reflection from my computer screen,it is solid and black.The Sony is from Oct 2006.

Sony seems to have much brighter backlight than Sharp. Can you try to set the backlight brightness equal to Sharp and take a picture? Now it seems that Sharp has much better black than Sony.
post #3881 of 9118 Old 01-17-2007, 05:05 AM

I find it hard to believe that a software patch will fix a problem that "seems to be a physical abnormality" on how these panels are put together or manufactured. I bet most of us on this forum are just as skeptical as I am.

To me, this problem is comparable to a screen that is physically scratched with a sharp object, and now they are telling us that a software solution will either mask this scratch mark or magically remove it all together.
Sony is impressive but not mystical.(assuming this mura clouding is really a physical abnormality).

If they do come up with a patch, then it better not be something that "masks" NO Inputs, like automatically activating powersaving High or Backlight setting 0. Because that would only hide their problem. MURA CLOUDING problem would still show up in our DARK MOVIES&Games (XBOX360&PS3 Black backgrounds,HarryPotter4,StarWars, Matrix,WarOFtheWorlds,all dark horror movies, etc.....). I will not update my firmware if it creates more harm or just covers up a physical problem!
post #3882 of 9118 Old 01-17-2007, 05:26 AM

Returned my first 32" Sony XBR2 yesterday and picked up another unit. Brought it home and turned it on - see for your self. I guess I am just lucky.
LL
LL
post #3883 of 9118 Old 01-17-2007, 05:37 AM

Could it be that the cloudiness is being produced by electronic "noise" generated by the electronic circuitry that drives the lcd panel ? Maybe something like the background hiss that is present on analog tapes. Just throwing out a theory that Ihaven't heard here yet. All electronics have some kind of residual noise that they produce..all those electrons rattling around in the circuitry and just maybe that gets translated into visible light when it gets to the panel. If that's the case then maybe a firmware update would be the way to fix this phenomena by making some kind of circuit adjustments to reduce or eliminate the noise. Oh well...just another "theory" to ponder.

"I'm supposed to drive a flying car"
"I'm supposed to have a house on Mars"
"I'm supposed to live 200 years"
"Future"
Todd Rundgren "Liars" CD/DVDA
post #3884 of 9118 Old 01-17-2007, 05:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayS99 View Post

Thanks, but I won't take full credit .. there has been a lot of speculation about pressure points peppered throughout this thread. .. I just don't know as I don't have a wall to try and mount it on. I wish there was some type of stand to try that mimics a wall mount that you could place behind a table stand (something returnable if it made no difference).

Jay S.

Hang it on a wall, place it on a stand, go to bed with it, hang it in a boat, watch it from a ceiling, doesn't matter. Bottom line, for 3k we should not have to do ANYTHING except plug & watch............
post #3885 of 9118 Old 01-17-2007, 06:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by luna5 View Post

Could it be that the cloudiness is being produced by electronic "noise" generated by the electronic circuitry that drives the lcd panel ? Maybe something like the background hiss that is present on analog tapes. Just throwing out a theory that Ihaven't heard here yet. All electronics have some kind of residual noise that they produce..all those electrons rattling around in the circuitry and just maybe that gets translated into visible light when it gets to the panel. If that's the case then maybe a firmware update would be the way to fix this phenomena by making some kind of circuit adjustments to reduce or eliminate the noise. Oh well...just another "theory" to ponder.

I have seen noise on my set caused by poor signal from my cable company but this affects the entire picture.
post #3886 of 9118 Old 01-17-2007, 07:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by luna5 View Post

Could it be that the cloudiness is being produced by electronic "noise" generated by the electronic circuitry that drives the lcd panel ?

I don't think the clouds are caused by electronic noise because the clouds are always at the same place on the screen and they are very stable. Noise would change all the time.

It has to be some defect in the LCD panel. It may be just dust inside the panel. A contaminated clean-room environment in the production line.
post #3887 of 9118 Old 01-17-2007, 07:26 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by davehries View Post

Returned my first 32" Sony XBR2 yesterday and picked up another unit. Brought it home and turned it on - see for your self. I guess I am just lucky.

Woah! It's like major spotlights in all four corners!!!

post #3888 of 9118 Old 01-17-2007, 07:53 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
USB Key is on the way. I should get it before my 30 days expire so I'll be the guinea pig.
post #3889 of 9118 Old 01-17-2007, 08:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by davehries View Post

Yikes!!!! 2nd pic looks like a poorly fitted bedsheet. Light from all four corners!

My returned 46XBR3 had light in the lower left, however, nowhere near the extent shown in pic 2.
post #3890 of 9118 Old 01-17-2007, 08:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Flowerday View Post

USB Key is on the way. I should get it before my 30 days expire so I'll be the guinea pig.

Hi Jeff,

How did you manage to get the key before the official release date?. My 30-day will expire 1 Feb and I need to try this out before that.

How is the patch to be applied ?.
post #3891 of 9118 Old 01-17-2007, 08:15 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

just called up customer support and they are send me a usb software update in 7 to 10 business days. The USB part is not ready yet for anyone wondering but should be going out as soon as possible.
post #3892 of 9118 Old 01-17-2007, 08:17 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

fritzenheimer

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:
Originally Posted by CFP
One wonders what the response would be if an owner with a non-cloudy XBR called up claiming the mura defect. Would it still be "part of the batch/serials affected by the clouding issue"? One wonders indeed.

You'll have to admit that we've gone a bit wacky on this thread, but I thought I was really losing it tonight when I called Sony Support, described the problem with my 40"XBR2, gave the representative my serial number, told her that I was aware there were a range of serial numbers affected, and that a firmware patch was available and asked if my set was included among those affected (it does have clouding by the way but moderately so). After holding on for some time she came back to tell me that my set was NOT among those in the affected serial numbers! I was startled to say the least. She told me that the problem with the sets was that they had "incomplete" software. I asked her if there was range of production dates in which the serial numbers fell: she told me March 2005 to March 2006!!!! So I told her there must be some mistake and she came back after putting me on hold to apologize and tell me that my set WAS among those affected. They are going to send me a customer installed upgrade. It should arrive in 7 - 10 days (part #799860470).

I asked if all the new sets would have this new firmware and was told yes they would. I asked if it would affect the quality of the picture and was told that it should not. I asked if it would be reversible and didn't get an answer. When I asked what would happen if I applied the update and I didn't like the way it affected my picture I was told I could call for service.

It would be very interesting to know if in fact all the new sets being produced were being shipped with the new firmware. Is there a way to check the version of the firmware? I asked the service rep and was told only a technician could check this out.

For what it's worth the Sony service rep was very supportive and helpful and I am optimistic that Sony will stand behind this product. I am not sure that I want to be the first to install this update, however, as I like the picture on my set very much.

I just called customer support and they are sending me a usb software upgrade as well but the part number is different from yours. Mine is Part # S012BR09. Does this mean anything. Should they be the same part number, I have the 40xbr2 as well.
post #3893 of 9118 Old 01-17-2007, 08:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by riptied View Post

Hi Sturmonium. I wish I could give you some info on which set to buy, but I'm relatively new to all this. I would advise anyone thinking about purchasing this set right now to wait a little while. I just purchased mine this past Saturday, and I'll be packing it back up and returning it Friday. It's just too much money to spend on a crapshoot. You simply don't know what you're going to get. Good luck with your decision.

riptied, thanks for the advice. I've decided to wait before purchasing a 2500, and during my wait I'll be researching the other 1080p LCDs out there.
post #3894 of 9118 Old 01-17-2007, 08:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scherer326 View Post

I just called customer support and they are sending me a usb software upgrade as well but the part number is different from yours. Mine is Part # S012BR09. Does this mean anything. Should they be the same part number, I have the 40xbr2 as well.

That is your order #, they called it a part # when I called to, but I later asked him "That is the part number?" to which he corrected, "No, that is the order # to track your part." It must be the way their help desk software refers to the 'order'.
post #3895 of 9118 Old 01-17-2007, 08:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ransome View Post

Great post. I'm adding that picture to my blog with a link to your post. It exhibits that the "lesser priced competition" blows away Sony's flagship model in terms of clouding!
post #3896 of 9118 Old 01-17-2007, 08:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 00h00m View Post

That is your order #, they called it a part # when I called to, but I later asked him "That is the part number?" to which he corrected, "No, that is the order # to track your part." It must be the way their help desk software refers to the 'order'.

On call with Sony now... When I told her about the problem I'm having she tried (as the prior CSR did too) to refer me to the local repair shop. I told her that I've been following this forum. She put me on hold, came back and said, OK... your set is in the range of sets that are effected by this problem. She put me back on hold, where I now sit... OK... she just came back after 5 minutes and said... "I'm going to order the part for you" and she put me back on hold before I could ask any questions.

My serial number and model is as follows:

Model: KDL40XBR2
Serial Number: 8071144

I purchased it on 1/13/07.

I will follow up as soon as I get off the phone.

Ozyland
post #3897 of 9118 Old 01-17-2007, 08:43 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

they gave me both a Part # and a Reference #(Event ID). I believe the Reference # coincides with the phone conversation I had with the customer rep this morning. Shows that a call took place. I just thought the Part # would be the same for everyone. 00h00m advised that the Part # is your order #, they called it a part #. He said that Customer support commented that it is the order # to track your part." It must be the way their help desk software refers to the 'order'.

So basically no one will have the same Part # or Reference #.
post #3898 of 9118 Old 01-17-2007, 08:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozyland View Post

On call with Sony now... When I told her about the problem I'm having she tried (as the prior CSR did too) to refer me to the local repair shop. I told her that I've been following this forum. She put me on hold, came back and said, OK... your set is in the range of sets that are effected by this problem. She put me back on hold, where I now sit... OK... she just came back after 5 minutes and said... "I'm going to order the part for you" and she put me back on hold before I could ask any questions.

My serial number and model is as follows:

Model: KDL40XBR2
Serial Number: 8071144

I purchased it on 1/13/07.

I will follow up as soon as I get off the phone.

Ozyland

OK. She came back and said 7-10 business days I will be receiving the part (#T99860470) with instructions. This is the part number, which I had to ask her specifically for.

Ozyland
post #3899 of 9118 Old 01-17-2007, 08:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinbwiz View Post

I find it hard to believe that a software patch will fix a problem that "seems to be a physical abnormality" on how these panels are put together or manufactured. I bet most of us on this forum are just as skeptical as I am.

To me, this problem is comparable to a screen that is physically scratched with a sharp object, and now they are telling us that a software solution will either mask this scratch mark or magically remove it all together.
Sony is impressive but not mystical.(assuming this mura clouding is really a physical abnormality).

If they do come up with a patch, then it better not be something that "masks" NO Inputs, like automatically activating powersaving High or Backlight setting 0. Because that would only hide their problem. MURA CLOUDING problem would still show up in our DARK MOVIES&Games (XBOX360&PS3 Black backgrounds,HarryPotter4,StarWars, Matrix,WarOFtheWorlds,all dark horror movies, etc.....). I will not update my firmware if it creates more harm or just covers up a physical problem!

I agree with you. For the most part the picture I have is great, but I see weird color shimmer on certain light blacks and beige. It doesn't bother my Gal Pal who thinks it is very minor and loves the TV. It bothers me for what the TV costs. If a Sony Patch modifies settings automatically, to me that's BS. Trying some of their suggestions makes for a crappy PQ. I believe the Sets have defective Panels and not the electronics that power the screen. I have two weeks left to return. The two floor models in BB had cloud blotches worse than mine! Last night I saw some weird black horizonal lines. I'm assuming it was the broadcast as it didn't show up on other programs.
post #3900 of 9118 Old 01-17-2007, 08:48 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by PetiePal View Post

Great post. I'm adding that picture to my blog with a link to your post. It exhibits that the "lesser priced competition" blows away Sony's flagship model in terms of clouding!

PetiePal,
Yeah, but I'm not ready to exchange clouds for bands either.. Not sure what fix Sharp is offering for the bands...but I'm curious. Maybe I'll go poke my nose into the Sharp banding forums...

Jay S.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Sony Bravia S Series Kdl 40s2010 40 Inch Lcd Hdtv , Sony Bravia W Series Kdl 46w5100 46 Inch Lcd Hdtv , Sony Bravia Xbr Kdl 52xbr4 52 Inch 1080p Lcd Hdtv , Lcd Hdtv

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page