Official Sony Bravia LCD Uneven Backlight/Cloudy Thread - Page 150 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
View Poll Results: Does your Sony 46" XBR LCD suffer from an uneven backlight or cloudy background?
YES, clouds can been seen when dark colors are displayed or when switching inputs 1,299 69.13%
NO, my screen has a perfect, fully even, backlight 580 30.87%
Voters: 1879. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 

post #4471 of 9118 Old 01-24-2007, 07:51 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
[quote=BigFellas70]I've read most of the posts and apologize if has already been talked about but has anyone experienced the blotchiness/cloudiness during times when most of the screen is bright blue. I've had my kdl-46xbr2 for about 3 weeks now and noticed this tonight when Jeopardy happened to be on. I noticed the same thing last week when I was putting a dvd into my Sony dvd player. The Sony dvd screen has alot of blue in it when there is no disk in or when the door is open. The mostly blue screens are very blotchy. This is in addition to the clouds, foggy, blotchy, etc. dark black scenes that have been mentioned.

**** I have noticed this on mine. What I notice the most is shimmering blotchy spots where the broadcast is NOT in HD. This is where the TV looks pretty much like a standard TV. Perhaps the 1080 even makes a regular braodcast look worse as it exposes the weaknesses of the broadcast? I don't know.

Certain shades of blue. light beige, blacks and greens may show this blotchy shimmer. An interesting question might be is this due to the uneven blacklight.cloudy spots my Sony does have. Also in some regular braodcasts I can see almost square blocks of greenish flashing areas where it seems the set is struggling to determine the color. I wonder if this is simply the particular show and how it was filmed. Perhaps poor quality video etc.. In some fairness to Sony, HD braodcasts are for the mostpart flawless and I can't find it even happening. So is the screen's defect worth taking it back? This is what I still haven't been able to decide. Let alone it's a backbreaker to remove pack up and return.

MY gal pal loves the set and says she doesn't notice it. She wants to keep it. I have until This Sunday to decide. I would not try another as I believe ALL the Sony sets are affected to some degree. I believe mine is on the minor side. It's hard to write it off as defective when I see some of the most incredible HD PQ broadcasts. So what to do??
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4472 of 9118 Old 01-24-2007, 08:01 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTVic View Post

The LCD technology is based on the ability to block or pass light. There will alway be some leakage with today's technology. So if you cannot see clouds under normal viewing conditions, taking a long exposure will only tell you that you have an LCD TV, nothing else.

GTVic,
This would be a fine statement with the exception that it was Sony that on January 12th came out with an "Important News about your set" for the 40 and 46 XBR2s and XBR3s... and are even coming up with a further software upgrade to minimize. That being the case, there is clearly something more than normal LCD technology at play here it would appear.

Jay S.
post #4473 of 9118 Old 01-24-2007, 08:01 AM

I contacted Sony today about my KDL-46V25L1 that I purchased at Costco. Has anyone been able to get them to acknowledge a problem with these LCDs? I tried to explain to them every way I could that I was seeing this exact problem, but they would have nothing of it.

If there is a secret to getting them to acknowledge this (and send a firmware update) please let me know.

Bryan

"There's a dark cloud rising on the desert floor" - B. Springsteen

post #4474 of 9118 Old 01-24-2007, 08:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC_Jeff View Post

Yeah, looks good and that's how they should all look. I hate you!!

It was a compulsive purchase. I was going to hold out till some had tried the USB update or the January builds came out. I figured both CC and BB were literally less than 5 minutes from my house and I'd play the "swap" game if needed to land a good set.

After almost 4 hours at Circuit City and a ton of haggling I ended up leaving there tv-less and stopped at Best Buy on my way home. In 20 minutes I had my tv. I've just posted the story on my problem-chronicling-blog http://sonyclouding.blogspot.com

However just because I got a good set doesn't mean I'm going to end my time on this board trying to help everyone else. I will still continue to update my blog with any pertinent info and submissions are *always* welcome. Just PM me the info/links/stories. Calls to Sony and their responses are good, as are testimonials from engineers or facts we know about this defect. I'm going to try and Digg my site and post on Fark about it again to see if we can get more exposure.

Also I still have my Frappr site up http://www.frappr.com/sonyclouding where you can list your location, whether you have had or currently own a defective set and what it's build date was/is. Prospective buyers can also post their location.
-Pete
post #4475 of 9118 Old 01-24-2007, 08:15 AM

eSupport Web Notice

Sony's BRAVIA line of flat-panel LCD televisions reflects our commitment to the highest picture quality standards. The KDL-40XBR2/3 and KDL-46XBR2/3 series televisions have received exceptionally high ratings for picture performance from many well respected home theater sources, including the Editor's Choice Award from CNET and critics at Sound & Vision Magazine.

To achieve this high level of performance and picture clarity, Sony utilizes a very bright backlight setting. This helps deliver the brightest picture possible, as well as exceptional picture clarity even in the darkest image sources.

However, the setting, under certain dark viewing conditions, especially blank screens with no video source, may cause the screens on some of these televisions to exhibit slightly uneven uniformity. This condition is not usually visible under typical viewing conditions, such as watching movies or television programming, and generally should not affect your viewing experience.

Should you find that this condition does affect your viewing enjoyment; there are a few settings that you can make to minimize this condition:

Setup Menu --> Light Sensor: ON
Setup Menu --> Power Saving: Low or High
Picture Menu --> Reduce the Backlight Level (Factory Setting: 10)
A combination of the above changes

If your television still does not meet with your approval after these setting adjustments, Sony Canada will provide a Self Service Software Update that will further minimize the condition. Upon request, Sony will ship this update along with instructions directly to you when it becomes available in mid-February.

All terms of your Sony limited warranty continue to apply. We apologize for any inconvenience that this may cause, and we continue to stand behind our product and our loyal customers.

Please contact Sony at 1-(877) 899-SONY (7669) for more information or to obtain the Self Service Software Update.

Sony of Canada Ltd.
post #4476 of 9118 Old 01-24-2007, 08:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan Lyle View Post

I contacted Sony today about my KDL-46V25L1 that I purchased at Costco. Has anyone been able to get them to acknowledge a problem with these LCDs? I tried to explain to them every way I could that I was seeing this exact problem, but they would have nothing of it.

If there is a secret to getting them to acknowledge this (and send a firmware update) please let me know.

Bryan,

The Sony website (Canada) acknowledges the issue with "Sony's BRAVIA line of flat-panel LCD televisions", which one would assume includes the V2500 (V25L1).
post #4477 of 9118 Old 01-24-2007, 08:21 AM

I posted a lengthy review on CNet's KDL-46XBr2 regarding the issue with links to this thread, my blog and the frappr page. Maybe we'll get more traffic that way for people who may have faulty sets.
post #4478 of 9118 Old 01-24-2007, 08:21 AM

The Costco KDL-46V25L1 is at its base a 46V2500. Sony does not acknowledge there is a problem with the V2500 series. Call, call and call some more. The problem obviously exists, but I guess if enough people don't call then Sony won't spend the money to fix it. It has to be financially worthwhile for Sony to provide the cost of the fix versus the cost of living with the problem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan Lyle View Post

post #4479 of 9118 Old 01-24-2007, 08:28 AM

Hey all,
You kind of ignored my first post, where I pointed out that the screen is darker on inputs 1-3 and 9, slightly cloudy on 4 and 5 and noticeably lighter overall on inputs 6-8.

Well, I don't know why that is, but here's something else to chew on. When I took a two second exposure on input 5, there was a bit of cloudiness that was most pronounced at the top left corner. It so happens that I peered into the grill on the back of my set and there is a streak of light on the top back edge of the left of the panel, about 1/2 inch long with a halo extending beyond that a bit. I am going to check tonight in the dark to look for more such spots. Anybody else bother to look at the set through the BACK to see if any visible light there corresponds to what they see while viewing from the front?

Cheers, Kyle
post #4480 of 9118 Old 01-24-2007, 08:28 AM

[quote=WJ7777]
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigFellas70 View Post

I've read most of the posts and apologize if has already been talked about but has anyone experienced the blotchiness/cloudiness during times when most of the screen is bright blue. I've had my kdl-46xbr2 for about 3 weeks now and noticed this tonight when Jeopardy happened to be on. I noticed the same thing last week when I was putting a dvd into my Sony dvd player. The Sony dvd screen has alot of blue in it when there is no disk in or when the door is open. The mostly blue screens are very blotchy. This is in addition to the clouds, foggy, blotchy, etc. dark black scenes that have been mentioned.

**** I have noticed this on mine. What I notice the most is shimmering blotchy spots where the broadcast is NOT in HD. This is where the TV looks pretty much like a standard TV. Perhaps the 1080 even makes a regular braodcast look worse as it exposes the weaknesses of the broadcast? I don't know.

Certain shades of blue. light beige, blacks and greens may show this blotchy shimmer. An interesting question might be is this due to the uneven blacklight.cloudy spots my Sony does have. Also in some regular braodcasts I can see almost square blocks of greenish flashing areas where it seems the set is struggling to determine the color. I wonder if this is simply the particular show and how it was filmed. Perhaps poor quality video etc.. In some fairness to Sony, HD braodcasts are for the mostpart flawless and I can't find it even happening. So is the screen's defect worth taking it back? This is what I still haven't been able to decide. Let alone it's a backbreaker to remove pack up and return.

MY gal pal loves the set and says she doesn't notice it. She wants to keep it. I have until This Sunday to decide. I would not try another as I believe ALL the Sony sets are affected to some degree. I believe mine is on the minor side. It's hard to write it off as defective when I see some of the most incredible HD PQ broadcasts. So what to do??

I have a Sony DVD player as well. I'm wondering if some of the blotchiness is more related to the upsampling of a 480 player to I presume what is set at 1080i for output (either in the Set or the DVD player)...

Jay S.
post #4481 of 9118 Old 01-24-2007, 08:46 AM

Is there a better number than 800-222-SONY (7669) to call and report the problem/request the firmware update. I seem to remember some threads (long ago/Far Far away) that talked about asking for a certain tier? level of support to discuss the problem. I'd rather not spend precious time discussing how I've already tried all their suggestions on the website to no avail. Any help is appreciated.
post #4482 of 9118 Old 01-24-2007, 08:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RP LCD View Post

Bryan,

The Sony website (Canada) acknowledges the issue with "Sony's BRAVIA line of flat-panel LCD televisions", which one would assume includes the V2500 (V25L1).

I noticed this ambiguity and even posted about it on the V2500 thread. However, other V2500 owners have reported Sony CS telling them that there are only firmware fixes for the XBRs.
post #4483 of 9118 Old 01-24-2007, 08:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smirshkahoven View Post

Hey all,
You kind of ignored my first post, where I pointed out that the screen is darker on inputs 1-3 and 9, slightly cloudy on 4 and 5 and noticeably lighter overall on inputs 6-8.

Well, I don't know why that is, but here's something else to chew on. When I took a two second exposure on input 5, there was a bit of cloudiness that was most pronounced at the top left corner. It so happens that I peered into the grill on the back of my set and there is a streak of light on the top back edge of the left of the panel, about 1/2 inch long with a halo extending beyond that a bit. I am going to check tonight in the dark to look for more such spots. Anybody else bother to look at the set through the BACK to see if any visible light there corresponds to what they see while viewing from the front?

Cheers, Kyle

Kyle,
I've noticed that as well.. except I have 3 occupied now. I wonder if it has to do with an input physically plugged in. Also, I haven't done any tweaking to those inputs at all, and they are actually still sitting on VIVID... go figure.. even on those inputs though, I still see clouds.

Jay S.
post #4484 of 9118 Old 01-24-2007, 09:46 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by PetiePal View Post

Photos of my December '06 build XBR in a dark room.
Vivid Picture, 420p input from XBox 360 dvd.
Backlight: Maximum (default settings)

Alias still

Completely black screen

Alias title screen (lots of black area)

Took this with my Sony Cybershot Camera, 3.1 MP, no flash completely dark room.

I'm going to ask my friend to bring his awesome higher-quality Canon at some point and I'll take a ton more, but I'm guessing this is the level of blacks and screen uniformity we ALL should have.

how long was your exposure?

try a longer one and set it to a completely black screen.

i don't doubt your set is great. i agree when the photo is taken properly for the picture you don't see clouds. some people say they can see it without a long exposure photo but in my experience clouds have no impact on pq even though
i can show it in a photo.
post #4485 of 9118 Old 01-24-2007, 09:58 AM

All,
Can I suggest we stop the debate on photo comparisons attempting to show what the eyes can see. The fact that Sony has issued the update indicates that something is visible on the screen with and without programming. We have many photos of all types of exposure, some go to longer lengths to illustrate the position of the clouds, some attempt to recreate what they see visually, etc. All are good bits of additional information and we should use them as such I think. We should not need to debate any longer the existance of the clouds or the impact to viewing as Sony has already said that there IS something there.

Jay S.
post #4486 of 9118 Old 01-24-2007, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bosng View Post

how long was your exposure?

try a longer one and set it to a completely black screen.

i don't doubt your set is great. i agree when the photo is taken properly for the picture you don't see clouds. some people say they can see it without a long exposure photo but in my experience clouds have no impact on pq even though
i can show it in a photo.

I was looking at my camera options last night and I couldn't find any ISO settings to set it to 200 (the recommended for this type of shot).

I turned off the flash so there wouldn't be any discrepancies. I'm not sure if I can set it to any longer for the model. It's and older Sony Cybershot 3.2 MP. If anyone knows how to set this let me know and I'll take more tonight.
post #4487 of 9118 Old 01-24-2007, 10:02 AM

I bought a 32"XBR2 from Best Buy on 1/12/07. Manufacturer date was Dec 2006. this was replacing a 2 year old 27" Sony Wega. After I hooked up the tv Iwas first bothered by the lack of detail that was being received through the cable.. I suppose part of this was due to the fact that I had not yet been upgraded to HD through Time Warner. I have since put in my request for the HD box. However, in the La area at least they have informed me that HD TVS must have been a very popular gift this holiday season as they are on a lengthy back order for HD boxes from the manufacturer. As for the set I put it through its paces and ran a DVD to get a better idea of the the picture quality. It was great, yet before I went to bed I noticed some marbleling effect or as I now know "Clouds". This anomaly was apparent on regular TV during a transition scene or in switching between input modes. This started to drive me up the wall as I am a perfectionist. Even my Fiancee noticed it. I said I was going to take back the set and get another one. She asked me to call Sony first to be sure that it was a problemand not just us. Well I did and spoke to a well informed rep by the name of Liz. When I described the issue, she said yes it is a problem on some sets, that the backlighting was set to high and that was actually some of the light bleeding through. She told me by all means to return the set. I did this on 1/19, Best Buy was ok with this and just swapped out another unit. This one was also a Dec 2006 Manufactured model. Yet when I hooked this model up the clouding was lessened. I ran a HDMI cable and watched a wonderful old Technicolor movie and was quite impressed. Thats the good news. The bad news is that the regular tv programming is very watery and seems to move as if in a bit of slow motion as if the response time is off. My fiancee described it as blurry. I don't know if this is a different problem or if it will stop once HD programing is hooked up. I checked the cable to the regular CRT Sony in the bedroom and it looks fine. Perhaps the cable box hooked to the XBR is out of sync and breaking up. It seems odd that the HD DVD is ok but cable is off? The jury is still out on this one. I love the set and am willing to cart it back to Best Buy again this Friday maybe the third time will be a charm.
post #4488 of 9118 Old 01-24-2007, 10:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayS99 View Post

All,
Can I suggest we stop the debate on photo comparisons attempting to show what the eyes can see. The fact that Sony has issued the update indicates that something is visible on the screen with and without programming. We have many photos of all types of exposure, some go to longer lengths to illustrate the position of the clouds, some attempt to recreate what they see visually, etc. All are good bits of additional information and we should use them as such I think. We should not need to debate any longer the existance of the clouds or the impact to viewing as Sony has already said that there IS something there.

Jay S.

Agreed. I don't think anyone doubts that the clouds do exist on some sets. Photos only seem to show the extent of how bad some of the clouding is. I think the concern is that photos might make too light of the problem when in fact to the naked eye the problem could be horrendous but look not bad at all digitized.

Can someone clarify again how the backlight actually works? When you set it down a few notches is there an oscillating component that lets less light through, or does the bulb just dim? I've been wondering this myself.
post #4489 of 9118 Old 01-24-2007, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WJ7777 View Post

I'm in the same boat...wife loves the set, doesn't notice it, wants to keep it and I have until Sunday also to decide!

I also considered Sony's Live Color Creation System featuring WCG-CCFL backlight technology as a culprit for the blotchy square blocks of blue I get. The DRC gets turned off because it just makes matters worse for me. I'm not sure if these two particular pieces of software get used with HD signals. If HD signals are producing a flawless picture on this set then it sounds like the tv may just be having trouble reproducing non-HD broadcasts or the broadcast quality itself.

I'm currently running a non-HD Satellite feed but also have a cable hookup. Tonight I guess I'll hook up cable tv to this set to see if that makes a difference.
post #4490 of 9118 Old 01-24-2007, 10:31 AM

Looking back over posts here, on my blog and pictures collected, I think these three pictures illustrate a normal vs. cloudy screen pretty well.

All LCD panels should ship with screen uniformity. Raising the backlight on your tv should make the *entire* image lighter. For instance take these two Superman Returns pictures. One the backlight is turned down a bit and in the other it's all the way up.

Then you have this set where it's clearly visible the un-uniform clouding that occurs.

They appear as splotches, and are not uniformly distributed across the screen.

The same is true for this picture:

You can clearly tell that this is not an issue of the screen being "whiter than people think it should be."
post #4491 of 9118 Old 01-24-2007, 10:35 AM

It's about this time users should be receiving their USB keys, right? I think we're just at the beginning of that window. If anyone gets theirs please tell us.

I think there was some discussion a few pages back regarding firmware versions and if they were viewable from the diagnostics menu. Record this number if you can prior to and after the application of the update.
post #4492 of 9118 Old 01-24-2007, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffGZX9 View Post

I've been monitoring this thread for some time now, and I believe I saw two people reporting January builds. One had clouds, and one did not. Another post said that on a blank input, the coulds were there for 2-3 seconds, then went away. Speculation was that he had the updated firmware, but I do not know if that was or even could be verified. I do not recall that person looking at the String of characters in the Diagnostic window to see what was there. So, the answer is, there is no real answer - still.

I've just been gathering all this anecdotal evidence, mulling it over, and coming to some type of conclusion. I think the majority of the panels are "bad" in our eyes. There are a few really good ones out there. I think a lot of people may have "bad" ones that do not know it. (Ignorance is bliss). I suspect that Sony thought the mura defects they/someone let through were more tolerable than we think. Finally, because I believe/think/guess the defect to be a physical one, there is only so much a firmware change could do. That "gone in 2-3 seconds" thing leads me to believe the software could have been changed to sense all black and/or no input situations, and then 'do something' to minimize the impact of the clouds. The lag time to react is what makes me think that (I used to write code...) that code, processor, or the component(s) of the tv (backlight maybe?) are taking a bit to do their job of lessening the impact of the clouds. Again, this is all just speculation on my part, but I dont feel too bad since there been a bunch of that going on for the last 140 or so pages.

Just had my KDL-46XBR2 delivered yesterday. January build date. Yes there are clouds. Also the upper right and lower left corners have a distortion that allows light through too similar to the clouds (similar to the "pinched" references from previous members). I'm going to contact BB to have them send out a replacement set sometime this week. I'll get the SN and other relevant info when I get home tonight.

I tend to agree that the defect is most likely there in the majority of these sets but most people either don't notice it because they're running on torch/high sharpness/high contrast settings or just assume that's the way the set is supposed to be. I tend to calibrate my televisions for a film-like quality using some DVD software so I never have the TV set to factory settings. I didn't have time to do that last night but it's on my list of things to do this week. I'm also going to dig up the settings some of the other users use so that I can get a direct comparison of the cloudiness.

My faith in the Sony brand is in such a nosedive right now I don't think they'll recover, between the battery fiasco, PS3 price/launch debacle, and now this. If I'm unable to find an acceptable set then I'll jump ship to somebody else that hasn't forgotten what quality means.

++ Sony is making me a sad panda! ++
post #4493 of 9118 Old 01-24-2007, 10:54 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by woody57 View Post

I don't know if this is a different problem or if it will stop once HD programing is hooked up. I checked the cable to the regular CRT Sony in the bedroom and it looks fine.

Don't judge your TV until you get some HD programming. SD signals are brutal to watch on any largish LCD panel. This TV doesn't shine with low quality signals, it's tolerable at best. For that your old CRT is probably more forgiving especially if it was smaller.

Certified Ultra Professional AVS Special Member Class A
post #4494 of 9118 Old 01-24-2007, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigPanda View Post

Just had my KDL-46XBR2 delivered yesterday. January build date. Yes there are clouds. Also the upper right and lower left corners have a distortion that allows light through too similar to the clouds (similar to the "pinched" references from previous members). I'm going to contact BB to have them send out a replacement set sometime this week. I'll get the SN and other relevant info when I get home tonight.

I tend to agree that the defect is most likely there in the majority of these sets but most people either don't notice it because they're running on torch/high sharpness/high contrast settings or just assume that's the way the set is supposed to be. I tend to calibrate my televisions for a film-like quality using some DVD software so I never have the TV set to factory settings. I didn't have time to do that last night but it's on my list of things to do this week. I'm also going to dig up the settings some of the other users use so that I can get a direct comparison of the cloudiness.

My faith in the Sony brand is in such a nosedive right now I don't think they'll recover, between the battery fiasco, PS3 price/launch debacle, and now this. If I'm unable to find an acceptable set then I'll jump ship to somebody else that hasn't forgotten what quality means.

++ Sony is making me a sad panda! ++

Sorry to hear about your faulty set. Definitely contact BB. I ended up getting mine from them and purchasing the 4 year warranty after I was guaranteed and promised several times that if my set was cloudy I could exchange is as many times as needed. The salespeople had heard of the defect. (Also BB does NOT charge a restocking fee for faulty sets, nor for "if you don't like it. Perhaps this is a store-by-store basis but mine doesn't)

Post some pictures if you can of your set so we can see the extent of the problem.
post #4495 of 9118 Old 01-24-2007, 11:09 AM
KC2

Hello Everyone...

I am also a sad panda... I posted a few days ago that I received my January build with no clouds. I was wrong, I DO have clouds. They certainly aren't as bad as my Oct build, but still there. Although, how I got confused is an interesting story. When I viewed my set in the store, the Video 1 label stays there since nothing is hooked up to the set, but the remainder of the screen looked fantastic - uniform black all over. Keep in mind I had them turn it on in the AV room, and eventually turned out the lights after waiting the 30 minute warm-up period.

Here's the interesting part - after testing, it turns out (and I think someone also reported this with a January set) the brightness (not the setting, just brightness in general) goes dim after 2-3 seconds. This happens on a blank input, as well as a signal with mostly black material after being paused. The Nissan commercial is a great example, where they show the logo and everything else is black. If I pause the tv, the logo goes dim, and the slight clouds that I do have go away. I would say it's equivilant to either the power saving or light sensor mode. However, this does not happen if I pause the TV on a program that has a lot of light.

Here's my guess - my set has the firmware upgrade, and what they have done is controlled the lighting under certain conditions so that it is - in Sony's words - minimized. The rub = it doesn't minimize it during actual program viewing!!! So, Sony gets 2 out of 3 wins from this.. (1) people like me who view the tv in the store go home thinking they have a perfect set, (2) people who take pictures will be hard-pressed to replicate and advertise the defect. The 3rd piece they don't win, and most important of all, is actual program viewing!!!!

Now I have 27 days to figure out what to do...
post #4496 of 9118 Old 01-24-2007, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KC2 View Post

Hello Everyone...

I am also a sad panda... I posted a few days ago that I received my January build with no clouds. I was wrong, I DO have clouds. They certainly aren't as bad as my Oct build, but still there. Although, how I got confused is an interesting story. When I viewed my set in the store, the Video 1 label stays there since nothing is hooked up to the set, but the remainder of the screen looked fantastic - uniform black all over. Keep in mind I had them turn it on in the AV room, and eventually turned out the lights after waiting the 30 minute warm-up period.

Here's the interesting part - after testing, it turns out (and I think someone also reported this with a January set) the brightness (not the setting, just brightness in general) goes dim after 2-3 seconds. This happens on a blank input, as well as a signal with mostly black material after being paused. The Nissan commercial is a great example, where they show the logo and everything else is black. If I pause the tv, the logo goes dim, and the slight clouds that I do have go away. I would say it's equivilant to either the power saving or light sensor mode. However, this does not happen if I pause the TV on a program that has a lot of light.

Here's my guess - my set has the firmware upgrade, and what they have done is controlled the lighting under certain conditions so that it is - in Sony's words - minimized. The rub = it doesn't minimize it during actual program viewing!!! So, Sony gets 2 out of 3 wins from this.. (1) people like me who view the tv in the store go home thinking they have a perfect set, (2) people who take pictures will be hard-pressed to replicate and advertise the defect. The 3rd piece they don't win, and most important of all, is actual program viewing!!!!

Can you check that "firmware" code some posters believe to be the firmware version in the diagnostic menu? I'd be very interested to know what it says.

I wonder if Sony support knows anything about the firmware versions and could tell you what yours was...
post #4497 of 9118 Old 01-24-2007, 11:23 AM

Quote:

Hello Everyone...

Why are you guys killing yourselves with this BS? Go and get the Mitsubishi 46" LCD and you won't miss the Magic Cloud XBR2. You'll have it for more than $1000 cheaper and a better set with more features like firewire. I had the Magic Cloud and returned it. You guys are going to get an ulcer over this BS..quit playing around and get something else. You can't go wrong with the Mitsubishi I highly recommend the set.
post #4498 of 9118 Old 01-24-2007, 11:29 AM

[quote=KC2] This happens on a blank input, as well as a signal with mostly black material after being paused. The Nissan commercial is a great example, where they show the logo and everything else is black. If I pause the tv, the logo goes dim, and the slight clouds that I do have go away. I would say it's equivilant to either the power saving or light sensor mode. However, this does not happen if I pause the TV on a program that has a lot of light.

[quote]

what do you mean by pause the tv? do you mean if you freeze it? or are you talking about pausing via DVR or TiVo? And if what you say is true, and this is how the patch will work, then it may stand to reason all of the new sets (since they are having this firmware installed prior to shipment) will be like this and it will be impossible to determine what may have been a fine tv. in which case- i'll be getting my money back in a flash and steering clear from sony for good.
post #4499 of 9118 Old 01-24-2007, 11:33 AM
KC2

Quote:

what do you mean by pause the tv? do you mean if you freeze it? or are you talking about pausing via DVR or TiVo? And if what you say is true, and this is how the patch will work, then it may stand to reason all of the new sets (since they are having this firmware installed prior to shipment) will be like this and it will be impossible to determine what may have been a fine tv. in which case- i'll be getting my money back in a flash and steering clear from sony for good.

Pete - I posted that number a few days ago... (H06-01.56 00070)

Yes, pausing a DVR program.

And yes, I am seriously considering getting out of this BS game - thanks for the Mits tip!
post #4500 of 9118 Old 01-24-2007, 12:02 PM

Quote:

Pete - I posted that number a few days ago... (H06-01.56 00070)

Yes, pausing a DVR program.

And yes, I am seriously considering getting out of this BS game - thanks for the Mits tip!

KC2,
I don't remember if you said or not. Did you call Sony and ask if your new one was "on the list" and if so, what did they say. I'd be curious if they say no, if you go back and ask about this new behavior, what they say.

Jay S.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Sony Bravia S Series Kdl 40s2010 40 Inch Lcd Hdtv , Sony Bravia W Series Kdl 46w5100 46 Inch Lcd Hdtv , Sony Bravia Xbr Kdl 52xbr4 52 Inch 1080p Lcd Hdtv , Lcd Hdtv

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page