Official Sony Bravia LCD Uneven Backlight/Cloudy Thread - Page 191 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
View Poll Results: Does your Sony 46" XBR LCD suffer from an uneven backlight or cloudy background?
YES, clouds can been seen when dark colors are displayed or when switching inputs 1,299 69.13%
NO, my screen has a perfect, fully even, backlight 580 30.87%
Voters: 1879. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 

post #5701 of 9118 Old 02-09-2007, 09:30 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by JPBOSS View Post

Like I have said before. Anyone thinking this Firmware fix is going to fix the cloud/spotlight issue is living in a fairy tale. Viper has proved that it's a hardware design issue and no amount of software is going to fix that.

1) Grow a set and do what Viper did and be careful.
2) Return it and get another and keep doing this until you get one up to your snuff level.
3) Live with it.
4) Return it and buy another brand like the Runco and be done with it.
or last but not least.
5) Return it and wait patiently like me for the 2007 LED 120hz versions to come out to see if they finally fixed the issue.

JP

2007 LED 120hz version? which one is that? is it a XBR?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #5702 of 9118 Old 02-09-2007, 09:35 AM

I wanted to let everyone know that the adjustment of the screws is not that difficult to do. I do want to make a note on vipers instruction. You don't want to unscrew the triangle symbol as this is for the bezel. You want to remove the screws that have the arrow symbol. This is what will remove the back cover. I basically slightly backed the screws off a little. Just to relieve some of the pressure. Maybe a 1/16 of a inch. There were some screws besides the clip and pannels screws that had a red pen mark by them. Like a "QC" check (Ya right) or something. These seemed to be related to the panel as well. I backed those of a 1/16th as well. There were some other clips that are under the speaker assembly. This are held in by one screw in the middle of the pannel and the whole speaker assembly comes out.

I DO STRESS THAT I AM NOT TELLING EVERYONE TO DO THIS BUT IF YOU WANT TO TRY, THESE ARE SOME THINGS I FOUND. IF YOU DON'T FEEL COMFORTABLE TAKING THIS APART, DON'T DO IT.

Does anyone know if the USB firmware fix affects normal picture quality, did they degrade that area.. or does it seem only for blank inputs.
post #5703 of 9118 Old 02-09-2007, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by seando View Post

edit: I am using petmic's settings but with brightness moved up to 60 as I found his settings a bit too dark for my tastes. (for anyone who is interested)

Which / where are those settings?

post #5704 of 9118 Old 02-09-2007, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Areku View Post

Which / where are those settings?

Here you go...

Picture Mode: Custom
Backlight: 2
Picture: 80
Brightness: 60
Color: 45
HUE: G1
Color Temp.: Warm 1
Sharpness: 25
Noise Red.: Off
DRC Mode: Mode 1
DRC Palette: Reality(35), Clarity(15)

Advanced Settings:

Black Corrector: Off
Advanced C.E.: Off
Gamma: Low
Clear White: Off
Live Color: Off
Color Space: Wide
Detail Enhancer: Off
Edge Enhancer: Off

Power Saving: Off
Display Area: Normal/Cable Box - Full Pixel/HD-DVD

White Balance(GrayScale):
R-Gain: -2
G-Gain: -3
B-Gain: -15
R-Bias: -4
G-Bias: -2
B-Bias: -1

Gray Scale Color Temperature Kelvins:
(Pre-Calibration) (Post-Calibration)
100 IRE: 7825 / 100 IRE: 6550
90 IRE: 7750 / 90 IRE: 6475
80 IRE: 7700 / 80 IRE: 6500
70 IRE: 7500 / 70 IRE: 6450
65 IRE: 7450 / 65 IRE: 6425
60 IRE: 7400 / 60 IRE: 6400
55 IRE: 7650 / 55 IRE: 6455
50 IRE: 7600 / 50 IRE: 6475
45 IRE: 7525 / 45 IRE: 6500
40 IRE: 7450 / 40 IRE: 6500
30 IRE: 7425 / 30 IRE: 6450
20 IRE: 7400 / 20 IRE: 6425
post #5705 of 9118 Old 02-09-2007, 10:34 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:

Hey people, may be its a good idea if you can all email me the following to help the lawyer suceeding against Sony! It seems clear SOFTWARE fixes will only MASK the problem as they (Sony) can do WHATEVER THEY WANT (aka reprogramming, for example, the levlels blacklight deliver to make you think 10 blacklight is bright but you're getting the original 1 setting instead!)

It seems clear that FLASH USB/Firmware update solutions will only make you FORCE the changes they suggest in their official website, hence, you have the confidential document that states they WON'T REPLACE YOUR PANELS (well I should include mine too!!).

Hence, please email me (BRAVIACLOUDS @GMAIL ) the following to compose an actual list of people INTERESTED IN A PANEL REPLACEMENT (aka helping JayS and his lawyer suing Sony!) and ACK'ing the fact software upgrades is NOT the solution, and that if you got clouds in your panel, its because of a deffective HARDWARE built!

Please email the following:

Full name
location (state/province and country should be enough)
Panel model
Manufacture date
Serial# (optional)
an email or phone# (w/country/area codes included) (optional but should be great in terms of tracking of the case)

I'll compose an excel of all the entries i recieve and send'em to JayS as an UPDATED list of people affected and exposing their clouding problem.

Areku,
I appreciate what you are trying to collect, but all I did was post the lawyer's name and the fact that a Class Action has been filed. Please don't send anything to me, as I'm not a lawyer, not would I know what value it would have or need. As I said in the post, if anyone wants more information on what to do, they should contact the Lawyer, whose name was posted in an earlier post in this thread. Miniz asked to be PM'd if people also wanted additional information.

Jay S.
post #5706 of 9118 Old 02-09-2007, 10:39 AM

Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:

Can you elaborate a bit more on that? A VGA cable to transport 1080p signals?

And what about "latest downloads from Microsoft"?

All I found at Xbox live is:

/kb/906663/en-us?sd=xbox on the support microsot com site

I just bought the XBox360 and the setting is there, but using the component cable that comes with the xbox simply produces a black screen, aka no 1080p, just 1080i.

The article above claims "To configure HDTV settings, you must have an Xbox 360 Component HD AV Cable", it does not force you to buy the VGA cable. Hence, is it actually required??

Also, in some articles I read XB360 upscales current DVD movies to be played back as 1080p. Is that so??

Sorry for the offtopic!

Thanks!

Areku,
Yes a bit off topic and probably best to take this over to the gaming and 360 threads, but briefly, the only way to get 1080P from the 360 is to use the VGA cable from MS to the VGA port on the Sony. You will need to make some adjustments to get the picture to not look washed out. Via the componenet cable from MS, you can only get 1080i, and MS does not make an HDMI cable so you can't get 1080P other than with the VGA cable. This is pretty well documented. I'm not aware that the 360 upscales DVDs to 1080P. You may want to check the specs on the HD-DVD add-on for the 360, as it might (again needs to be hooked up via VGA cable)

Jay S.
post #5707 of 9118 Old 02-09-2007, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by travis.js View Post

I wanted to let everyone know that the adjustment of the screws is not that difficult to do. I do want to make a note on vipers instruction. You don't want to unscrew the triangle symbol as this is for the bezel. You want to remove the screws that have the arrow symbol. This is what will remove the back cover. I basically slightly backed the screws off a little. Just to relieve some of the pressure. Maybe a 1/16 of a inch. There were some screws besides the clip and pannels screws that had a red pen mark by them. Like a "QC" check (Ya right) or something. These seemed to be related to the panel as well. I backed those of a 1/16th as well. There were some other clips that are under the speaker assembly. This are held in by one screw in the middle of the pannel and the whole speaker assembly comes out.

I DO STRESS THAT I AM NOT TELLING EVERYONE TO DO THIS BUT IF YOU WANT TO TRY, THESE ARE SOME THINGS I FOUND. IF YOU DON'T FEEL COMFORTABLE TAKING THIS APART, DON'T DO IT.

Does anyone know if the USB firmware fix affects normal picture quality, did they degrade that area.. or does it seem only for blank inputs.

Hi Travis. Thanks for the tip. Were you happier with your picture after the adjustments?

In answer to your question, we're still waiting on someone not only installing their Sony software update, but perhaps taking some accurate comparison photos once they have re-installed their custom settings. So far, we have seen from Jeff's pics that the blank imput screen appears free of clouding.
post #5708 of 9118 Old 02-09-2007, 10:52 AM

I am happier with the adjustments. The flashlight spot in the upper left corner is gone and the clouds have become real faint. I do still see them but not as bad as before.
post #5709 of 9118 Old 02-09-2007, 11:12 AM

Quote:

I am happier with the adjustments. The flashlight spot in the upper left corner is gone and the clouds have become real faint. I do still see them but not as bad as before.

Thanks, Travis. The software update may end up helping all affected sets with the clouding, but it seems that the flashlight effect is caused by physical pressure on the LCD itself. Thanks to Viper and you for the info on how to alleviate this problem.

My October set (returned) had both the clouds and the flashlighting. I think only a combination of software and the screw-loosening procedure could have made it better. In the case of my August set (still own) it doesn't seem to have a problem with the apparently screw-induced flashlight effect. I still hold out hope that the software fix in itself may help alleviate it's mild clouding issue.
post #5710 of 9118 Old 02-09-2007, 11:13 AM

Quote:

So after the ViperFIX you still had clouds and flashlight effect? you had to use the settings to make it better?

did the viperfix fix? :P
post #5711 of 9118 Old 02-09-2007, 11:14 AM

I still have about 15 days on my BB return and have an 46XBR2 with flashlight on top left and clouds. Would you try the "screws technique" before taking back to BB or not?? Contemplating which would be more difficult. Packing this thing up and trading to only get more clouds back on a new one or trying to loosen this one up before returning??

Is Star Wars the best "cloud exposing" movie??
post #5712 of 9118 Old 02-09-2007, 11:25 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

if you are thinking about returning it skycoaster, try the screw technique. Maybe it will fix your problem.
post #5713 of 9118 Old 02-09-2007, 11:28 AM

Bright cloudy Mura effect is mostly located in the top left corner of my own 46"LCD, so I look forward to undergoing the screw loosening procedure in the future. I will take "Faint" clouds over bright clouds any day!
THE VIPER Technique LINKS :

Viper's original LCD unscrewing directions: (Viper Technique)
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...&&#post9716103
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...&&#post9716196
Viper's positive results:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...&&#post9726241
Seando's "after" Screenshot Result: (Galactica in dark space)
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...&&#post9730032
Travis's extra pointers and advice on LCD unscrewing:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...&&#post9730951
Viper's Extra Advice:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...&&#post9732037
Viper's suggestion"only loosen screws" for problem areas:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...&&#post9737300
Seando recently describing how he did the technique:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...&&#post9830491
Seando's SONY TECH did the technique too!(FEB/MAR 2007)
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...&&#post9946167

Waldorfsalad did his variation of the fix(TVstandingUP)52"xbr3 (Mar2007)
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...&&#post9951013
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...&&#post9953971
Waldorfsalad's "bad news" that the weight of the back plastic cover also applies stress on panel:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...&&#post9953627

Waldorfsalad's links to the service manuals. Each has a section (1-13) about how to remove the LCD panel.
52XBR2 and 52XBR3 :
http://www.docs.sony.com/release/KDL52XBR2_sm.pdf
40XBR2 and 46XBR2 :
http://www.docs.sony.com/release/KDL46XBR2_sm.pdf
40XBR3 and 46XBR3 :
http://www.docs.sony.com/release/KDL46XBR3_sm.pdf
As far as having "NO" clouds, that may not be possible except thru settings....grrrr
Also try some different settings I came up with to mask clouding!
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/show...6&&#post9920646
or Main settings page for more ideas:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=784872
post #5714 of 9118 Old 02-09-2007, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by makak View Post

So after the ViperFIX you still had clouds and flashlight effect? you had to use the settings to make it better?

did the viperfix fix? :P

The flashlight spot in the upper left corner is gone and the clouds have become real faint. I do still see them but not as bad as before.

The viperfix of losening the screws helped, but it did not eliminate the clouds all together. However, the flashlight affect in the upper left corner. DID go away.

I think you are getting confused as I see these problems as two different issues.
post #5715 of 9118 Old 02-09-2007, 11:41 AM

For those debating on returning or doing the Vipers fix. Keep this in mind. If you dont have any dead pixles why take a chance on returning and getting one that does? Go for the viper fix! if you have dead pixles I would return.
post #5716 of 9118 Old 02-09-2007, 11:55 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 21
In the interest of helping any brave souls interested in undertaking this task, I am going to try to take time this weekend and crack that puppy open again to take a few more pics. One thing I can point out now though is this: if you are getting clouding on your screen with the center of the cloud being roughly 6-8 inches from either side and 4-6 inches from the top (or bottom), you will want to adjust one of the corresponding four screws that attach the chassis to the LCD panel itself. If you are experiencing the flashlight effect in the corners, loosen the corresponding screws that hold the panel clips around that corner in place. As travis pointed out (and I failed to mention earlier), to get to the lower-side panel clips, you will have to remove the speakers. Do it one at a time. The silver screw with the washer is the only one you should have to remove and the speaker slides straight up without much effort. Then you will see the clips you need to adjust. If I can, I'm going to head to Home Depot and see if I can find some machine bolts that match the size and threading of the chassis screws but slightly shorter. I'll report back when I have some results. If you can operate a screwdriver or build a computer or are capable of following basic instructions and are thorough, you can accomplish this with a little patience. I would highly suggest you get a helping hand to lay down the TV on your flat, hard surface so you don't risk damaging it. And yes, I believe that this fix should work on the 40 and 46 XBRs as well as the the V2500s that have the same issue. Any other brave souls want to help prove me right? Oh, and if after you try the fix, if you are not satisfied with the reduction of clouds, use your own judgment as to whether or not you feel comfortable backing off the chassis screws anymore to see if it further reduces the effect. That's what I'm going to do. Of course, I'll post more results as they follow. This makes it my third time inside the set. Each time it's a little easier. Best of luck to all! If Sony won't fix our sets, it looks like we can!
post #5717 of 9118 Old 02-09-2007, 12:15 PM

I just looked at JohnnySpikes85's pic's. Now that is a thing of beauty!!!!

I'm sure if he overexposed the image some subtle uneveness in the backlighting would show up.....but that picture is "real world" drop dead perfect!

Now, off to get my 4th v2500 or wait for Sony's next offering with 120hz and LED.

As far as the Sony "software" fix for the XBR's....bogus. All it does is dissable the backlight with a null input. Big Deal!

I love my v2500 except for clouds.....the viper fix is on my to do list for this weekend.....but now almost 3 months into fighting all this, I'm ready to sit it out and wait for the new models and technology....and I WANT A SONY! I still believe in the company, and have been a sony TV owner for 27 years, and they all still work!!!!

Cw
post #5718 of 9118 Old 02-09-2007, 03:02 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by WJ7777 View Post

I bought a 46" XBR. Wall mounted it myself. Has the cloud spots. I finally decided that the PQ is so good that the very few times I can even notice them wasn't worth returning it and settleing for something with a lessor PQ. I'm glad I kept it and once I decided to do so I really never notice a problem. The HD broadcasts look great and the on board speakers are wonderful. I also noticed something interesting.

Depending on the Broadcast signals HD sets can look bad. I bought a panasonic plasma 50" . Great picture and yet on one HD channel looked really bad. I've noticed this a few times on the Sony on same channel. I determined that the broadcast signal must be suffering at times on this channel. Also I think HD sets may tend to make SD broadcasts look worse than a regular TV. Maybe as they can show more imperfections.

well it makes me feel better someone feels that way.....evne though when i showed the pics to someonew on hardocp and asked if they thought it looked bad they went "DAAAYAMN that looks bad!"

anyway viper/travis, just out of curiosity, i dont want to noticeably tinker with the TV (especially if i ever get Sony to replace it or there's a recall), so you're saying i dont HAVE to take the back off, all i really have to do is back the screws off a tiny bit and that may fix it??

can i do this while the televisions mounted? (since i had it professionally mounted and i cant get it down).
post #5719 of 9118 Old 02-09-2007, 03:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spincut View Post

well it makes me feel better someone feels that way.....evne though when i showed the pics to someonew on hardocp and asked if they thought it looked bad they went "DAAAYAMN that looks bad!"

anyway viper/travis, just out of curiosity, i dont want to noticeably tinker with the TV (especially if i ever get Sony to replace it or there's a recall), so you're saying i dont HAVE to take the back off, all i really have to do is back the screws off a tiny bit and that may fix it??

can i do this while the televisions mounted? (since i had it professionally mounted and i cant get it down).

You have to loosen screws on the inside. Meaning you have to take it off the wall and remove the back panel completely to get at the screws that only need to be loosened. I am not sure of the evidence that this has been done, but there does not to be any tamper proofing on these sets.
post #5720 of 9118 Old 02-09-2007, 03:16 PM

luckily I recently purchased a cloud free 52", although these sets seem less affected than their 46" counterparts.

I am an attorney, and if there is really a class action suit being filed I really wouldn't be trying to loosen screws to alleviate the clouding. That, in my opinion, could disqualify you from participating in such a class action.

Also, be careful what you post on here, this thread could very well become evidence.
post #5721 of 9118 Old 02-09-2007, 03:23 PM

About the "Viper" fix:

It appears that some people are getting excited (maybe too excited) about this fix that requires opening the case and loosening and leaving loose some of the screws that hold the LCD panel in position. While this 'fix' appears to have alleviated some of the symptoms, the pictures indicate that it does not 'fix' the problem completely or to some people (myself included) adequately.

Let's hold off on proclaiming this a fix until we get more evidence in on the topic.

That said, while the "Viper Technique" (my newly coined term) seems easy enough for most people that tinker with electronics, it still requires exposing the insides of you TV and that carries some dangers with it. Think long and hard before cracking open your TV in order to partially solve an issue that Sony should be obliged to totally resolved for you.
post #5722 of 9118 Old 02-09-2007, 03:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleater View Post

Anybody know if I connected it to my computer if I could upload the data somehow for others to download and make their own keys with their own memory stick?

There is only one way to find out...
post #5723 of 9118 Old 02-09-2007, 03:35 PM

^^ agreed.

Just stick it into your pc, decline any auto-run features, and see if you can't copy the files off.

I can provide webspace if it works...just lemme know
post #5724 of 9118 Old 02-09-2007, 03:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by seando View Post

^^ agreed.

Just stick it into your pc, decline any auto-run features, and see if you can't copy the files off.

I can provide webspace if it works...just lemme know

I do believe there is special software for the microdrive. it looks like you can download it from sony.
post #5725 of 9118 Old 02-09-2007, 03:51 PM

I agree with your statement, Oohoo, which I quote:

"Think long and hard before cracking open your TV in order to partially solve an issue that Sony should be obliged to totally resolved for you."

As it is my understanding that Sony has and probably still does follow this post, then perhaps thier engineering techs will try the "Viper Technique" (if they haven't already). I believe if Sony finds it a satisfactory solution (along with the software) then they may actually incorporate it into the service manual. If so, then maybe we'll actually get one of their service techs to come to our home and let them either properly torque these screws or replace them with the proper ones.

I think it's great that there are people like Viper here willing to experiment, but in the end I'd hope that Sony will step up and do the fix for us. I for one am not willing to do this myself.
post #5726 of 9118 Old 02-09-2007, 04:00 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DVD Freaky View Post

If you guys bought a 46XBR2 and the only issue it had was 'backlight bleeding' (flashlight effect) in the upper left and right corners....and that bleeding dissapeared each time, 30 minutes after warmup.....would you take back the tv or keep it?

DCI says to keep it...thanks for the vote DCI.

Any others? I don't feel comfortable taking off the back panel to get rid of the flashlight effect that way.

Is there any evidence that the 'flashlighting' gets worse over time??? If it keeps dissapearing after 30 min each time I power on the tv...I MIGHT be able to live with it.
post #5727 of 9118 Old 02-09-2007, 04:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DVD Freaky View Post

DCI says to keep it...thanks for the vote DCI.

Any others? I don't feel comfortable taking off the back panel to get rid of the flashlight effect that way.

Is there any evidence that the 'flashlighting' gets worse over time??? If it keeps dissapearing after 30 min each time I power on the tv...I MIGHT be able to live with it.

I swear I see a new 'something' every time I turn on my TV (I think my brain is messing with me), but overall my issues have lessened over time. I don't even think about any of these issues when I am watching the TV most of the time. It is usually when I just turn on the TV that I do an inspection of the image.

If you are happy with your set I would keep it. If it bothers you more down the road get a Sony tech out to look at it.
post #5728 of 9118 Old 02-09-2007, 04:19 PM

I understand that this is my first post, and so maybe it's out of place for me to point this out, but I'm confused. If you don't intend on installing the software, why order it? What is the point, other than to tease us with the possibility of a fix, but to leave us hanging without a full explanation of how and what the update does? It would be awesome to know how the update changes settings and calibrations, and if it's possible to reboot your TV to a prior version once its installed.

I can understand not wanting to be a guinea pig and have this fry your tv or whatever. However, from what I saw of the first try on the update it doesn't make your tv WORSE, and in fact updates the software in the tv to what Sony is shipping out in current tv's.

My patch hasn't come yet, so I can't try it. Otherwise I would, and I would do my best to tell you all the settings on Vivid, Standard and Custom pre and post update and to even try the rebooting to see if I could wipe the update off. Surely there has to be someone else willing to give this a try!

We're all anxious to find a permanent fix.
post #5729 of 9118 Old 02-09-2007, 04:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tagheuer01 View Post

luckily I recently purchased a cloud free 52", although these sets seem less affected than their 46" counterparts.

I am an attorney, and if there is really a class action suit being filed I really wouldn't be trying to loosen screws to alleviate the clouding. That, in my opinion, could disqualify you from participating in such a class action.

Also, be careful what you post on here, this thread could very well become evidence.

I think this is an excellent post. You could void your warrenty for any other problem that you may encounter.
post #5730 of 9118 Old 02-09-2007, 04:36 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by 00h00m View Post

You have to loosen screws on the inside. Meaning you have to take it off the wall and remove the back panel completely to get at the screws that only need to be loosened. I am not sure of the evidence that this has been done, but there does not to be any tamper proofing on these sets.

well that sucks, not only can i not really get it down myself, but i dont think i'd do that.

btw, i just talked to sony tech support and had a rather raucus conversation...no i didnt yell but i basically and calmly dismantled their basic excuses, and told them a phsycial problem should have a physical fix.

i even asked them a rather dumb (albeit poignant question), "maybe it might be a good idea to just wait for am ore feasible solution, like a panel recall or a class action suite?".

anyhow my calls (powered by knowledge on here) led me to a "product specialist" to get the USB key that i was eventually forced to settle on (the rather tude-ish 2nd tier guy basically gave me some evasive language and said i'm not entitled to any more help to get such a defect fixed).

anyhow the product specialist, while supposedly supposed to know haat the fix does, didnt have the information (but was supposed to get it for me) and he confirmed the fix basically "fixes something with the backlight range decreasing, cause the backlight was put too high and thats why people can see the clouds".

i of course explained to him firstly that unless the firmware update grew an arm and phsyically fixed the panel that it wasnt much of a fix and also noted that i'm happy with the settings i already have tried, so why should i want a fix to simply force me to gimp them further? and basically said thats what sony tech was offering and they couldn't offer anything else. After several times of asking him though he basically said it just adjusts the LCD backlight level values and was verified to fix the issue and the newer TV's would have it and not have the clouds in them due to these precise values (although he specifically said he didnt know if the firmware update was supposed to mimick settings of a different technology added in the new sets or was just a new firmware to match the exact same internals, this brief statement has started to bug me a little).

anyhow while i did complain a lot and hit a brick wall after basically telling him about the screwing issue (sorry if that was a bad thing to do, but i let him know there were users that were physically addressing this issue successfully, and why if they can do it could a sony repairman not start doing what seems to be the best and only real fix?).

anyhow that's my story, i sent out for the USB fix.....and i will not be using it until i can confirm (hopefully from this forum) that it either fixes the issue, or at least doesnt screw over your settings (but hey, if that's basically the only difference in the newer models it cant be that bad of a fix, he said he'd pass that on to the engineers "constantly working on the issue to make screens and backlighting better", oddly enough though for a problem they deem has a fix already, i asked him if that meant the USB fix was just temporary since he said "sont had to respond to the issue so we have released this fix at the moment" but like many things he said "i dont know").

p.s. what is a "flashlight effect" I mean, i know i have clouds (some close to the corners) but i dont think i have this problem....any pictures of this problem?

p.s.s i didnt realize that, while like, only one guy has tried the USB fix, it hasnt really been tried out yet, it could still indeed be a "good" fix (yeah we're all doubtful though). But anyhow, while i will send my info to the class action guy (who was that again? dont remember where his post was) i might do my part, i have done it before and they asked me to come back on for Cnet owned "Tv.com's" podcast, and they asked if there was anything i wanted to talk about, since the site is about television (well, more like TV "shows") i may have this as a topic of discussion
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Sony Bravia S Series Kdl 40s2010 40 Inch Lcd Hdtv , Sony Bravia W Series Kdl 46w5100 46 Inch Lcd Hdtv , Sony Bravia Xbr Kdl 52xbr4 52 Inch 1080p Lcd Hdtv , Lcd Hdtv

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page