Official Sony Bravia LCD Uneven Backlight/Cloudy Thread - Page 197 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
View Poll Results: Does your Sony 46" XBR LCD suffer from an uneven backlight or cloudy background?
YES, clouds can been seen when dark colors are displayed or when switching inputs 1,299 69.13%
NO, my screen has a perfect, fully even, backlight 580 30.87%
Voters: 1879. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 

post #5881 of 9118 Old 02-11-2007, 11:36 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 225 Post(s)
Liked: 449
Rastai, are you serious? Even when you're watching video (not a blank input), it forces some sort of Auto Contrast function on?

That is utterly terrible if it does. What serious TV would force such a ridiculous picture de-enhancement on the viewer, let alone one from a premium brand I'm going to need to talk to Sony UK and if I find out that they're shipping the UK equivalent models with this same problem built in, then I will have to retract the 8/10 review score that I gave their product.

So, let me get this straight - you have two TVs, one has a bad panel but without the auto dimming, the other has a good panel but with the auto dimming. Open the TVs up and swap the video processor boards yourself. Sony aren't going to do anything about it so you might as well.

David Mackenzie
Blu-ray Disc (and DVD) Compressionist/Author
US Correspondent & Tech Consultant, HDTVtest
ISF Certified Calibrator (Level 2) / THX Certified Professional (Video Calibration Level 2)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #5882 of 9118 Old 02-11-2007, 12:15 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
yes....i'm on my way out the door, but the short answer to the question is yes, i have them side by side, so that i can compare them both, and the jan build does indeed auto dim during a dark scene, no matter clouds or not.....answer more when i get back home.
post #5883 of 9118 Old 02-11-2007, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rastai View Post

yes....i'm on my way out the door, but the short answer to the question is yes, i have them side by side, so that i can compare them both, and the jan build does indeed auto dim during a dark scene, no matter clouds or not.....answer more when i get back home.

I swapped mine yesterday at BB and got a December build. The clouds are not nearly as bad as my earlier 40XBR2 and I now realize how bad my old set really was. However... I have a flashlight effect in lower-left and a lesser one in upper-right. It must have the new firmware as it does exactly what rastai says. If I freeze frame when a credit begins to roll you can see the spot light disappear after a couple of seconds. It autodims all the time, not just on a blank input. Still not sure if I'm going to keep this one or not.

Tim

post #5884 of 9118 Old 02-11-2007, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodsterin_fl View Post

Greetings all, this I beleive is my first post. I read through about the first 10 pages of this thread prior to purchase and it led me to camp out at the local BB. They have an XBR2 and a Pioneer 5071 right next to each other and both were my choice for a TV. I prefer the LCD technology for its advantages over plasma but I wanted to test and watch for myself. They would not allow any remote use to change settings so I could only watch them as they were calibrated.

I went during daylight then returned later that night. I did this for three days. I also located a dealer for the Sharp too. ( I was loaded with background info from your forum conversations - thank you all)

I noted fantastic image quality from the Sony and Pioneer. The Sony had the edge in brightness, clarity-especially in the main foreground image and the overall wow factor in viewing. The Pioneer was exceptional in color "natural" look and in one scene in particular of a forest, the background trees stood out much better than the Sony.

The Sharp was unimpressive to me, primarily the one outstanding issue was the coloration - alien looking. The salesman, quite knowledgeable, tried to adjust it noting the weirdness but it was not possible. What was really bad was that it was a DVD of the Matrix. Neo had a pinkish-purple skin. The picture was dark but actually too dark and adjustment only caused milkiness, net correction. The salesman gave up and took me to a Sony! I looked politely and left.

At any rate, I have the 46" XBR3 and it is beautiful. I have been playing with it for the last week (bought now 7 days ago) and see some uneven lighting similar to the clouds shown in the pics but only if I turn out all lights and look at the screen at a blank input view. I have watched carefully for light spots during viewing and played Star Wars and other movies looking at the areas and gazing for error. I have to say that IF I saw something in my viewing of a movie, I would take it back but I am still looking. The build date is November 2006.

Oh, I forgot to mention, I went into the Magnolia Room and they had the XBR3 hung in a trio Samsung, Panasonic and Sony. The Samsung was stunning but where I noticed a difference was on the edges of moving objects and on some objects there was some blurring. A good example was a skate board freestyle on their canned video. I saw no blurr on the Sony or the Panasonic Plasma. it seemed to me that the plasmas have an advantage of background clarity.

I am not sure what to say. I would not want to buy something defective but I am not seeing major problems at this time. I hope that it is not a problem that develops. From what I read here, it sounds like it is immediately observeable.

Now, teach me how to tweak it! I bought Get Gray and have a blue filter and ordered the HQV DVD this week.

Hey Rodsterin,

I have the EXACT TV with a build date of December from Mexico. My major issue is the "flashlight effect" from each corner of the TV, more from the lower left and upper right than anywhere else. In the change of inputs or in really dark scenes, there is some unevenness, meaning, slight wash out in certain areas. This of course was not an issue when I first got the TV, but after a couple weeks, everything I had been reading here came true for my set, just not as bad on the "cloudiness" factor.

I called Sony today, gave them my serial number, and BAM, the woman says "Yes, your TV qualifies for the new 'fix'". The new fix? I said "Fix? Obviously, you recognize that this is a pretty big issue, if there is a 'fix' that needs to be taken care of. And what if this fix does not work", to which she said "Well, let's get it to you and see if it does first".

I am sitting here reading some of this stuff outloud to my wife and she is laughing her butt off, not because it's really all that funny since I dropped almost $4000 on this set, but because we paid all this money, and apparently, we need torque drivers and paint brushed to fix it!!

I'm confident that something will get done. Unfortunately for me, I purchased the set online from plasmabay.com, so while I could return the set within the next week, I highly doubt that I will get another without this issue. I did buy the 5 year extended warranty that covers everything except physical damage or damaged caused by an electrical storm.

If more and more people call and complain, they'll be forced to do something.

Hell, while at BB returning some cords I did not need, I pretty much steered about 4 people away from this set for now, when they found out I owned it. I told them EVERYTHING and immediately, one guy decided on the new Pioneer Plasma.

Maybe I'll be the anti-Sony spokeman until they decide to do something about this.

I REFUSE to be one of these "it's always sunny out" people that say "well, everyone will always have an issue". For $4000, one would think that solving this problem by a company like Sony should not be such a major ordeal.

I'm just waiting for the sad day that a recall is caused by something completely unrelated, like "the base is not stable enough and screws do not hold right" or something that causes everyone to get new sets.

Petmic's settings are the best that I have found. I'll have to look into that calibration CD. Let me know how it works. Thanks
post #5885 of 9118 Old 02-11-2007, 12:45 PM

Is there or will there be a February build?
post #5886 of 9118 Old 02-11-2007, 12:46 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 11
well the clouds piss me off but i honestly can only seem them when i watch crappy SD in 4:3 since the clouds show in the bars a little (someone said i didnt expose my pics right but no one said how bad it looked, i think they're dissapearing a little anyhow).

what's really weird is that when i play Xbox360 and i was loading a capcom game and the capcom logo came up the screen was JET black, no clouds, actually a very nice black for any lcd as well, but my point is, for some reason, when playing HD gaming the clouds completely go away.

so basically at this point, since i was offered 20% of the already greatly reduced cost i got it for (cant mention numbers i guess) to keep the tv, i'm thinking i might just use it for now until these new tv's i hear about come out, not the sharp d92's, but wasnt there some sort of LED LCD coming out in the spring?

i figure i'll just sell my TV to someone then, at the price i got it for i'd probably get alot of my money back.....alot easier than having to return it now anyway

but anyway back to my question, what LCD tv's are on the horizon that are supposed to be a huge leap? i could swear samsung or maybe sony had some new sets coming out this spring that were supposed to be a big deal.
post #5887 of 9118 Old 02-11-2007, 01:29 PM

Quote:

I can't believe Sony have implemented this as a fix, whatever next?! Auto-dimming during dark scenes - surely this is the opposite of what should happen? I'm actually glad my model doesn't do this, it would drive me nuts!
post #5888 of 9118 Old 02-11-2007, 01:38 PM

Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:

ok, picked up the new 46xbr3, january/mexico build last friday evening. it most definately has the new update because i elected to "buy" the new set and keep the old one for comparison, to keep the better (less affected) of the two. side by side comparison immediately showed that the new unit auto-dims whenever there is a dark source, and then lightens/brightens back up when the source is brighter. this is quickly evident when powering on both sets at the same time (easily done with the remote), and u can see that initially BOTH blank screens have some unequal backlighting. but after a few seconds january panel darkens, as well as the input source flag in the upper left corner. after those few seconds u can clearly tell the difference between the two panels.........the january build screen is jet black and even and the input flag is clearly dimmer than the october panel. so, it will darken/dim automatically to make the "clouds" seemingly vanish.

so, what i did next was play "the descent" on the january build, and just as i suspected/feared, it auto dims to hide the clouds whenever a scene is mostly black/dark, BUT it does it to the point where it's TOO DAMN DARK. u are unable to see most of the characters as they are meant to be seen because of how dim it makes the already dark scenes. to alleviate this, i simply increased the brightness, but this then could give a "washed out" appearance if done too high to the "blacks" being displayed, and then when the auto dims goes back during a brighter scene, that scene is now too bright. *smfh*

i don't like the fact there is no "user" control over this auto-dimming, especially since the clouds are less apparent on the january build than the october....meaning, the auto dim function is not "needed" on this particular panel because the mura is so minimal. i got a less "affected" panel, but now have auto dimming in effect on the darn thing! so, it's keep the one that has more clouding but no auto dimming, or keep the one with less mura, but auto dims whenever it deems necessary.

i'm just at the point where i'm thinking to just wait it out, take them both back, and wait for something PERFECT, which should be available to anyone spending 3-4-5K for a damn tv. anyone who gets a new january/february/whatever-else-in-the-immediate-future is going to have now deal with auto dim, which MAY make your viewing pleasure "less" than what it should be.

Rastai,
I can't believe this is implemented this way... AUTO DIM EVERTHING?? Not doubting your word here, but not the update I'll apply. Just out of curiousity, try it with Adv. C.E. on Medium in Custom mode.

Jay S.
post #5889 of 9118 Old 02-11-2007, 01:49 PM

sony has come up with a new "fix".
LL
post #5890 of 9118 Old 02-11-2007, 02:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayS99 View Post

Rastai,
I can't believe this is implemented this way... AUTO DIM EVERTHING?? Not doubting your word here, but not the update I'll apply. Just out of curiousity, try it with Adv. C.E. on Medium in Custom mode.

Jay S.

Rastai,
Yes, listen to Jay. Get into the advanced settings and use CUSTOM mode, and try changing ADV. CE on all settings (but try Medium first as JAY says) ...and tell us if this AUTODIMING in dark scenes stops or still occurs.

Permanent Autodimming is the number one reason to NOT APPLY THE UDATE FIRMWARE if this turns out to be the issue!!!
post #5891 of 9118 Old 02-11-2007, 02:20 PM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by lyris View Post

...........So, let me get this straight - you have two TVs, one has a bad panel but without the auto dimming, the other has a good panel but with the auto dimming. Open the TVs up and swap the video processor boards yourself. Sony aren't going to do anything about it so you might as well.

Now there is a really good idea! Assume you finally get a good panel, but are stuck with the new, "auto-dimming" firmware. This is not as hard as you would think, since I have seen it done myself.

Last year I watched the local Samsung CS tech put a new main board in a 40" TV I had at the time. It took all of about 20 minutes, and he'd never even done the procedure before on my particular model.

So, you run down to your local store and pick up an "open box" July-Nov (Dec?) build, bring it home, swap the main boards, and take it back. How could the store complain, since you've "updated" their TV for free. According to Sony anyhow, the returned set would have the latest (and greatest!) FW revision. Any future buyer of your just returned "open box" could reap the great benefits of un-commanded auto-dimming.....

Of course, you might wanna check the FW on that "open box"....it might be already updated!

Stew in Florida
post #5892 of 9118 Old 02-11-2007, 03:52 PM

If all of the New XBR2/XBR3s have this permanent Autodimming implemented, then SONY needs to make another firmware update to make this an optional feature. And if this turns out to be the new issue besides the clouding, then SONY's problems have doubled.

We may have to start a new thread called:
Official Sony Bravia LCD AUTODIMMING (due to new Firmware) Thread.

These are the options for all 40'' & 46"XBR2 OWNERS:
1. --For those of you who have the choice to update to the new Firmware, should hold off until we all know what is really happening with all of the AUTODIMMING.

2. --For those of you who have no choice and already have the new Firmware, I'm out of ideas for you......only hope SONY makes another update to remove the AUTODIMMING condition. BUT LETS GET MORE EVIDENCE FIRST TO KNOW IF THIS TRULY IS AN ISSUE OR NOT.

3. --For those of you who have not applied the firmware update yet, should only think of doing the VIPER TECHNIQUE (if you are still persistent in reducing the clouding).
4. -- Just leave it alone for now and live with it until someone comes up with something else..............
5. -- Anything else you can think of....
Viper LINKs below:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...&&#post9731742
post #5893 of 9118 Old 02-11-2007, 04:25 PM

Just returned with 3rd 40xbr2, still have to tweak settings. Jan build Mexico. initial reaction is clouds not noticeable but flashlight in each corner with the lower left most prominent follwed by upper right with the remaining two being much less noticeable. The saga continues..................................

STRRRIIIKE 33333333!!!!!!!!!!!!!
post #5894 of 9118 Old 02-11-2007, 04:36 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cicero67 View Post

Just returned with 3rd 40xbr2, still have to tweak settings. Jan build Mexico. initial reaction is clouds not noticeable but flashlight in each corner with the lower left most prominent follwed by upper right with the remaining two being much less noticeable. The saga continues..................................

STRRRIIIKE 33333333!!!!!!!!!!!!!

cicero, could you by any chance post pictures of your flashlight effect? i had been trying to find someone to post a picture of that for a while just so i could see what it looked like, it's starting to look like with medium clouds and zero pixels or flashlight that i actually got a steal of a deal (and the clouds only are showing up now when i watch really bad ST with black bars on the side, xbox360 has zero clouds it seems).
post #5895 of 9118 Old 02-11-2007, 04:54 PM

Don't have capability to post pic but if you see light coming from the corners of the panel while watching a movie with black bars on the top and bottom of the screen you will know it without over thinking it. It is readily apparent! It's nothing you have to look for. Hope this helps.
post #5896 of 9118 Old 02-11-2007, 04:58 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cicero67 View Post

Don't have capability to post pic but if you see light coming from the corners of the panel while watching a movie with black bars on the top and bottom of the screen you will know it without over thinking it. It is readily apparent! It's nothing you have to look for. Hope this helps.

hmmm still wish i had a picture of it. I think still all i have is clouds. I had thought i saw a very faint thing of light not really emenating but splotched in a corner, but i think it was just my imagination, everything else was clouding or perhaps very minor leaking, i still would like to see this much maligned flashlight in serious effect.
post #5897 of 9118 Old 02-11-2007, 05:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spincut View Post

hmmm still wish i had a picture of it. I think still all i have is clouds. I had thought i saw a very faint thing of light not really emenating but splotched in a corner, but i think it was just my imagination, everything else was clouding or perhaps very minor leaking, i still would like to see this much maligned flashlight in serious effect.

I can assure you it is not an issue you have to search for.
post #5898 of 9118 Old 02-11-2007, 05:17 PM

First post to this thread, which I found referenced on Amazon in early December and have read since without posting.

As a result of the information found here, I held on buying the KDL 46xbr2/3 which I had intended to get for Xmas. I am now going to make a decision to buy/not buy this Sony as soon as the effect of the USB fix and its reversibility is fully known.

I don't quite (yet) have the guts to unscrew the rear panel or use a paint roller on the front. Thanks, incidentally to viper and simon among many others for the time they spent testing and sharing their findings.

I have a few questions and would appreciate any answer.

1. Is there a difference between the XBR2 and XBR3 as to the proportion of defective panels? I am thinking of possible cherry picking the best (less cloudy) panels and putting them on the more expensive models (not unknown in manufacturing).

Do we have enough info to decide on that? We know that the new firmware is different on the 2 products and that their service manuals are different; hence, the production line diverges at some point prior to the mounting of the different bezels.

2. Cherry picking may or may not be feasible in a TV assembly line and would make sense only if the problem is not with the pressure points (viper's findings) but with the panels themselves (simon's findings, which could result from either mounting or panel problems).

3. If the problem is with screws a tad too long or tightened too much, I can't see why Sony wouldn't have corrected that situation many months ago when the clouds issue surfaced. They are not stupid and such an easy fix would have been implemented long ago, i.e. no defective sets would have been produced after August or September.

Sony could also have put a QC point in the line, at which sets would be checked for clouds prior to putting the rear panel on and screws adjusted to mimic viper's solution. Or other easy solutions to a simple problem.

4. If the problem is with the panels (more likely IMHO), correcting it is much more difficult and it may take months to do so. To me, the fact that Samsung, using the same panels, has similar problems implies that the assembly is not the main problem. Is it likely that the Samsung assembly line happens to also use screws which are too long or tightened too hard?

5. Do we know for a fact that the 52 inchers are assembled in Japan (possibly with better QC) as one or 2 posts mentioned?

6. Any February builts yet? If so, any clouding/flashlight effects on them?

7. Can the retailers or Sony legally sell as new the returned and factory reconditioned units? The number of returns is scary, judging by the posts on this thread.

5. Any idea when the new HDMI 1.3/120Hz refresh units will come out?

Thanks all.
post #5899 of 9118 Old 02-11-2007, 05:39 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

worst still is when i called sony and expressed my perplexion at their instance that the USB fix would do anything for me i reminded them what the problem actually was due to ,asked them if they know, and then asked if i had a better solution could they just send a repairman over and let me tell him what to fix and how to fix it.

they said "just try the USB fix first", but i instisted "why dont you just send the repairmen out and just have them fix it? did you figure this out yet? a bunch of guys at AVS did", i told him about it and he said it sounded interesting and would forward it along, still kind of sad that he said both that the problem was considered fixed and that the engineers are "constantly working on solving the problem and improving our screens" at the same time and yet still had average customers figuring the issue out better than their own engineers.

and yeah the repairment arent authorized to do any of that so basically they were telling me that if the USB fix didnt work, they would send a repairman out to do nothing for you.
post #5900 of 9118 Old 02-11-2007, 05:49 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 227 Post(s)
Liked: 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by cal931 View Post

5. Do we know for a fact that the 52 inchers are assembled in Japan (possibly with better QC) as one or 2 posts mentioned?

6. Any February builts yet? If so, any clouding/flashlight effects on them?

7. Can the retailers or Sony legally sell as new the returned and factory reconditioned units? The number of returns is scary, judging by the posts on this thread.

5. Any idea when the new HDMI 1.3/120Hz refresh units will come out?

Thanks all.

5) I doubt they would make the 52's in Japan. They closed their factory in Japan when they moved to the Korean plant.

6) Even if there are February builds without clouding (which is pretty much zero), you will be screwed with the new firmware "fix" that seems to be included with the new builds.

7) No. If it is a returned TV they have to sell it as a refurbished/open boxed set. If they are reselling it as new then they are committing a crime (which some of them will probably do anyway)

8) new HDMI 1.3/120hz by sony will probably be out 4 quarter and I wouldn't put too much hope on them either.
FYI Toshiba is releasing their 1.3.120hz Tv in June though
post #5901 of 9118 Old 02-11-2007, 05:58 PM

I have the 52 XBR3 January build and there is no auto dimming on my set. I have very very minimal clouding (not noticable during normal viewing) so I'm keeping it for sure. I did notice 3 stuck pixels on the black screen but can't see them from more than 2 feet away so although it bothers me knowing they are there, it really is no big deal. I don't think I want the "Fix" from what has been posted here.

Nothing is perfect if you look hard enough.
post #5902 of 9118 Old 02-11-2007, 06:07 PM

While at CC today to exchange my 2nd 40xbr2 for my 3rd, ( I know, I know, don't I know when to say no) my wife and I stopped to look at the display model and I reached around the side to change inputs. Behold the bright blue sky!!!! Not only were the clouds brewing a storm but thier were two bands down the center of the panel. Yet, the manager insists I am his only customer to have returned a 40xbr2!
post #5903 of 9118 Old 02-11-2007, 06:10 PM

Hey bleedblue63, I'm about to finish my basement with plans for a fitness room, rec room w/bar and home theatre room. PM me if you have any suggestions please. I noticed your sound proof finished basement. Thanks in advance!
post #5904 of 9118 Old 02-11-2007, 06:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinbwiz View Post

If all of the New XBR2/XBR3s have this permanent Autodimming implemented, then SONY needs to make another firmware update to make this an optional feature. And if this turns out to be the new issue besides the clouding, then SONY's problems have doubled.

We may have to start a new thread called:
Official Sony Bravia LCD AUTODIMMING (due to new Firmware) Thread.

--For those of you who have the choice to update to the new Firmware, should hold off until we all know what is really happening with all of the AUTODIMMING.

--For those of you who have no choice and already have the new Firmware, I'm out of ideas for you......only hope SONY makes another update to remove the AUTODIMMING condition. BUT LETS GET MORE EVIDENCE FIRST TO KNOW IF THIS TRULY IS AN ISSUE OR NOT.

--For those of you who have not applied the firmware update yet, should only think of doing the VIPER TECHNIQUE (if you are still persistent in reducing the clouding). Otherwise just leave it alone for now and live with it until someone comes up with something else..........................
Viper LINKs below:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...&&#post9731742

It took Panasonic 2-3 generations of plasma panels to get rid of their "auto-dimming" problems....so judging by that it could be around for awhile. I swear Sony hired these engineers off the unemployment line.
post #5905 of 9118 Old 02-11-2007, 06:22 PM

ok, this first pic is at a 2 second exposure, and the second is a 4 second exposure, and lastly, what i "see". as u can tell, there is clearly a difference between the october build and the january build, and the latter has done the auto dim function. these both were taken with the factory set "vivid" settings for comparison. the censors are the same, the power savings are the same.....everything is the same.

some have suggested that i go to the "custom" setting, and make the ACE setting "medium". i'm not sure what difference i'm supposed to see, but i know that the bottom line is that i'm not sure if i like the fact that i can't turn off the auto dim function, in case it's overdoing the dimming in the first place. again, when viewing "the descent", it seemed to go overboard with the dimming function, making it alot harder to see the characters than i think it was initially meant to be. so, for those who suggested it, what is the "medium" setting in the custom ACE supposed to do? thanks for the help, and hope these pics help illustrate differences between the two panels.
post #5906 of 9118 Old 02-11-2007, 06:34 PM

ok, this first pic is at a 2 second exposure, and the second is a 4 second exposure, and lastly, what i "see". as u can tell, there is clearly a difference between the october build and the january build, and the latter has done the auto dim function. these both were taken with the factory set "vivid" settings for comparison. the censors are the same, the power savings are the same.....everything is the same.

some have suggested that i go to the "custom" setting, and make the ACE setting "medium". i'm not sure what difference i'm supposed to see, but i know that the bottom line is that i'm not sure if i like the fact that i can't turn off the auto dim function, in case it's overdoing the dimming in the first place. again, when viewing "the descent", it seemed to go overboard with the dimming function, making it alot harder to see the characters than i think it was initially meant to be. so, for those who suggested it, what is the "medium" setting in the custom ACE supposed to do? thanks for the help, and hope these pics help illustrate differences between the two panels.[/quote]

Rastai,Thanks for posting those pics. My 3rd 40xbr2 which I recieved today also has the auto dimming and my previous Nov. and Dec. builds did not (this is Jan.) not sure I like it either and the halogen flashlight beaming from the bottom right corner is still a visual problem, even when the set dims. The clouds on this set are barely noticeable at this time. Sony - your company, it seems, has two very different problems. UNEVEN BACKLIGHT and MURA. This auto dim DOES NOT FIX THIS!!! Please make no mistake THIS IS UNACCEPTABLE!!!!
post #5907 of 9118 Old 02-11-2007, 06:36 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

some have suggested that i go to the "custom" setting, and make the ACE setting "medium". i'm not sure what difference i'm supposed to see, but i know that the bottom line is that i'm not sure if i like the fact that i can't turn off the auto dim function, in case it's overdoing the dimming in the first place. again, when viewing "the descent", it seemed to go overboard with the dimming function, making it alot harder to see the characters than i think it was initially meant to be. so, for those who suggested it, what is the "medium" setting in the custom ACE supposed to do? thanks for the help, and hope these pics help illustrate differences between the two panels.

Just so some of us can get an idea of what the auto dimming looks like when content is being played on the TV, can you take some comparison shots of The Descent to show us. I know you'll have to do it one at a time on each TV, but it would be good to see the difference.

GT: irunnoft
post #5908 of 9118 Old 02-11-2007, 06:55 PM

Question for the legal types in the crowd

The firmware update/USB fix was produced to minimize or fix the mura problem. Since it demonstrably masks the problem making it less visible, however does nothing to actually diminish the problem directly; couldn't the creation/existence of the fix in and of itself constitute proof that Sony recognizes that the problem is in fact a systemic defect? Assuming that position: What legal impact would it have on Sony's stance that all these panels are normal and any repairs on them to further fix this issue would not be covered? Considering all this when does any of it constitute fraud?
post #5909 of 9118 Old 02-11-2007, 07:02 PM

taken from consumerreports

Thx Aaron_Adkins!

"
Last Monday I was supposed to have a service visit from a Best Buy Tech for my 46XBR2. He called me in the morning to schedule a time to come by. First I asked him what time he worked until, because you can only see this clouding problem when it's dark.............he only works until 3:00 P.M. So, I start to tell him all about it, and how it's not worth it to come over during the day. He was a nice guy, tells me he has a friend that works at Sony and he'll ask him what he knows about it.
A couple of days go by, call him...........nothing..... a couple more days......nothing, he says yesterday that he'll call him again and get back to me for sure.
He finally calls me back yesterday to tell me that its a big problem but, Sony doesn't want to replace the defective panels.
He then asks if I'm by a computer and tells me "I didn't give you this information".......
He takes me to the sight(can't post links yet) servic-asc.sel.sony, gives me his log- in info and tells me where to go until I see the following:

CONFIDENTIAL

Last Update
2/2/2007 Event ID
E32706397 Model
KDL40XBR2, KDL40XBR3, KDL46XBR2, KDL46XBR3
Subject
Light / Uneven Background with no input or very dark scenes

SYMPTOMS

Customer may describe the issue using one of the following words: Cloudy / White / Blotchy / Patchy / Mura / Halo / Uniformity

RESOLUTION

Sony cares deeply about the overall picture quality of our televisions in all viewing conditions and light settings. Sony's Bravia LCD line of televisions, which are among the brightest and most color rich televisions in the world, reflects our commitment to these high standards. To achieve this level of performance Sony utilizes a very bright backlight output and setting. With this exceptional brightness, under certain dark viewing conditions, especially blank screens with no video source, the screen may exhibit a slightly uneven uniformity. This condition is not usually visible under typical TV watching conditions such as movies or general television programming and should not affect your viewing experience. However, should you find that this condition does affect your enjoyment, there are a few settings that you can make to minimize this condition:

Setup Menu ' Light Sensor: ON
Setup Menu ' Power Saving: Low or High
Picture Menu ' Reduce the Backlight Level (Factory Setting: 10)
Combination of the above changes

If the customer is not satisfied by the above settings Sony has released a Self Service Software Update that will further minimize this condition. This Self Service Software Update will not need the Light Sensor or the Power Savings settings to be adjusted. All terms of their Sony limited warranty continue to apply. Sony will ship this Self Service Software Update directly to the customer and thus will not pay technicians to perform this update.

NOTE: The upgrade is to be performed by the end user (consumer) only. Should an authorized servicer perform the upgrade, there will be no reimbursement paid.

Note to technicians:

The upgrade for the Sony models will be performed by the end user (consumer) only. Should an authorized servicer perform the upgrade, there will be no reimbursement paid.

This is not a defective condition and Panel Replacement will not be authorized.

This solution is based primarily on changes to the USER settings and are intended to be performed by the customer. As such Sony will not pay a service claim on any issue resolved by this method nor for any panel replacement.

All Panel replacements will be reviewed and any found to be replaced for this condition under pretense will result in no reimbursement paid on the work order.

If the customer is not satisfied with this response, please have them call the Sony Call Center Support line: 1-800-222-7669

SUPPORTING DOCUMENTS AND GRAPHICS
symptom1.jpg
Name: symptom1.jpg
Description: Symptom 1
Size: 12506 bytes
symptom2.jpg
Name: symptom2.jpg
Description: Symptom 2
Size: 35427 bytes
Customer_Update_Instruction.pdf
Name: Customer_Update_Instruction.pdf
Description: Customer Update Instruction
Size: 2609317 bytes

MORE INFORMATION
o

Unit/Model Details
o

Links

Unit/Model Detail
Unit(s): SN Start SN End Factory Family Name Product Category
KDL40XBR2 ALL ALL STE FIX TVP
KDL40XBR3 ALL ALL STE FIX TVP
KDL46XBR2 ALL ALL STE FIX TVP
KDL46XBR3 ALL ALL STE FIX TVP

Links

Anode Removal Tool
Aperture Grill protection wire (Damper Wire)
Bent CRT pins
CRT return policy
CRT set-up
DC Power Supply for safety adjustments
Deleted CRT return policy (INTERNAL)
Ghosting (Due to cable and broadcast signal)
Instruction Manual NVM Jig
List of Telematic Adapters for Sony TV Chassis
Micro and ROM malfunctions possible
Model Chassis List
Multi System TV information
Noise on MTS stations
NVM Jig hook up list (SB31R15)
Operating Manual for Registration Control Jig
P/N for tape around Diffusion Screens
Poor Registration
Power turn on of non USA TVs
Preventing ESD damage to circuit boards during handling or shipping.
Purity Jig
Remote/Model Cross-reference List.
Standard glue for TV repair
TV Term, Video & Audio Connections
Did this information answer your question?
Yes
No
Comments:

I know we have seen most of this before, but I like some of the threats for techs and retailers to basically follow the company line that this is not a defect and that they won't be reimbursed for anything."
post #5910 of 9118 Old 02-11-2007, 07:26 PM

This was posted already
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Sony Bravia S Series Kdl 40s2010 40 Inch Lcd Hdtv , Sony Bravia W Series Kdl 46w5100 46 Inch Lcd Hdtv , Sony Bravia Xbr Kdl 52xbr4 52 Inch 1080p Lcd Hdtv , Lcd Hdtv

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page