Official Sony Bravia LCD Uneven Backlight/Cloudy Thread - Page 21 - AVS Forum
View Poll Results: Does your Sony 46" XBR LCD suffer from an uneven backlight or cloudy background?
YES, clouds can been seen when dark colors are displayed or when switching inputs 1,294 69.05%
NO, my screen has a perfect, fully even, backlight 580 30.95%
Voters: 1874. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 

post #601 of 9118 Old 12-01-2006, 08:33 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I am in indonesia, and i have change the 46x200A for 5 times, all have cloud issue.
They are made in japan, sept - october 06.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #602 of 9118 Old 12-01-2006, 08:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rachmat-d View Post

I am in indonesia, and i have change the 46x200A for 5 times, all have cloud issue.
They are made in japan, sept - october 06.

rachmat-d,

Did you finally get a good one after exchanging 5 times? I hope so.
post #603 of 9118 Old 12-01-2006, 08:43 PM

desertmichael,

I didn't find the good one, still waiting for the new batch,maybe nov-dec build date.
post #604 of 9118 Old 12-01-2006, 08:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rachmat-d View Post

desertmichael,

I didn't find the good one, still waiting for the new batch,maybe nov-dec build date.

I give you an "A" for being so persistant....eventually it will pay off for you. What do they say at the store that you return the sets to? Has anyone acknowledged a problem in some of these sets?
post #605 of 9118 Old 12-01-2006, 09:03 PM

They didn't say anything, but they try to contact the sony tech.
The sony tech suggest us to try to wait until 40 hours, but it didn't work out, and they change the set.
They promise to get me a good one after the new stock arrive.
I don't think anyone in here known the problem, i realized the problem after i go to this forum and then check my set.
post #606 of 9118 Old 12-01-2006, 09:45 PM

I'm starting to think that there are NO perfect panels, but rather panels with varying degrees of "clouding". Again, as my previous pictures demonstrate, it is possible to take pictures and show clouding or NO clouding depending on panel settings and exposure settings on the camera.

From a Manufacturing perspective, its hard for me to believe that from a world wide production of these panels, only a small percentage were made "perfect". Usually from a particular production run, you will get a small percentage of defective products, but in this case the small percentage are "perfect" products? It doesn't make sense.
post #607 of 9118 Old 12-01-2006, 11:44 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Does anyone know if the serial #'s on these are assigned sequentially? So given a serial number from an August build, another serial # less than that should have been built in August or earlier? Is the consensus of this thread that the August built sets are the most likely to not exhibit the clouding issue?
post #608 of 9118 Old 12-01-2006, 11:55 PM

NoOoOo. There must be perfect panels seattlite! Look at those pics of those sexy cloudlessness. PsssT, oh hey. If I get an XBR3 in early 2007 will I be safe?
post #609 of 9118 Old 12-02-2006, 01:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by seattlite View Post

I'm starting to think that there are NO perfect panels, but rather panels with varying degrees of "clouding". Again, as my previous pictures demonstrate, it is possible to take pictures and show clouding or NO clouding depending on panel settings and exposure settings on the camera.

From a Manufacturing perspective, its hard for me to believe that from a world wide production of these panels, only a small percentage were made "perfect". Usually from a particular production run, you will get a small percentage of defective products, but in this case the small percentage are "perfect" products? It doesn't make sense.

nope, people time & time again post perfect sets with no clouds, all of those sets were made in August

All of the defective sets shown in here are made in Sept-Oct.
So the logical conclusion is Sony rushed production/cut back on quality control big time for the Holiday session.

Same with Sharp & their banding problem on the D62U, I have not seen one problem with banding from any owner of a Sharp set before their new line, yet the new one is filled with them.

IMHO I don't know why more people aren't looking into the new Mitsubshi 1080p sets, they are being compared favorably to the new sharps/sony panels & no one has reported any defects so far.
Of course that could be due to so few people buying them.
post #610 of 9118 Old 12-02-2006, 02:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wtfer View Post

nope, people time & time again post perfect sets with no clouds, all of those sets were made in August

All of the defective sets shown in here are made in Sept-Oct.
So the logical conclusion is Sony rushed production/cut back on quality control big time for the Holiday session.

Same with Sharp & their banding problem on the D62U, I have not seen one problem with banding from any owner of a Sharp set before their new line, yet the new one is filled with them.

IMHO I don't know why more people aren't looking into the new Mitsubshi 1080p sets, they are being compared favorably to the new sharps/sony panels & no one has reported any defects so far.

That makes so much sense! Now, will they calm back down after the holidays..
post #611 of 9118 Old 12-02-2006, 02:14 AM

Funny, this is the picture on Sonystyle's website. Do you think they were preparing us for what we would find once we turned on these sets? OR, do you think they thought if they posted a picture of our TV's showing clouds that they could subliminally control us to only want to watch clouds. This way we would not find the flaw in the TV? OR, maybe all of our TV's were used to create this advertisement and they all suffer from screen burn in.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #612 of 9118 Old 12-02-2006, 02:22 AM

wtfer- My new XBR has a August date. I would hardly call it perfect. Much better then the October set. I have one area that is lighter than the rest. Not as significant as the October set. Now I have a problem. I stare at this set and cant help but look for imperfections. I still love it.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #613 of 9118 Old 12-02-2006, 03:54 AM

Here's a pic of my NZ model Bravia X with white clouds. I must say it's not quite as obvious to the naked eye as this photo, but is still visible. Bravia2.jpg is the model no. and date of manufacture on the back of the TV (serial no. blotted out)
post #614 of 9118 Old 12-02-2006, 04:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wtfer View Post

Also might go hand in hand with them not being sold at any common retailer. Who the heck even sells Mitsu electronics anymore? Isn't it generally only sold at little shops now in really small volume?
post #615 of 9118 Old 12-02-2006, 05:52 AM

I just wrote a review on the XBR2 on Amazon. Hopefully they post it so that people can become aware of this issue.
post #616 of 9118 Old 12-02-2006, 07:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dietcokefiend View Post

Also might go hand in hand with them not being sold at any common retailer. Who the heck even sells Mitsu electronics anymore? Isn't it generally only sold at little shops now in really small volume?

I saw the Mitsubishi at Circuit City and it looked better than many there.
post #617 of 9118 Old 12-02-2006, 08:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dietcokefiend View Post

Try froogle; there are plenty of the common e-tailers that carry them. Maybe people aren't buying them because the Mits LT-46231 is priced quite a bit higher than even the 46XBR2
post #618 of 9118 Old 12-02-2006, 08:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vertebra View Post

wtfer- My new XBR has a August date. I would hardly call it perfect. Much better then the October set. I have one area that is lighter than the rest. Not as significant as the October set. Now I have a problem. I stare at this set and cant help but look for imperfections. I still love it.

Exactly. The reports of "perfect" sets are sporadic in all manufacture dates. Again its hard for me to beleive that from a manufacturing perspective that the minority of world wide shipped sets, there is only a small percentage of "perfect" sets.
post #619 of 9118 Old 12-02-2006, 09:27 AM

Psyosis is back. I posted a few days ago saying I was getting the XBR-2 delivered from CC today. It is here, build date Nov. No cloud issue, perfect picture. They are out there, keep trying.
post #620 of 9118 Old 12-02-2006, 09:49 AM

I filed a trouble ticket w/ Sony and spoke w/ the local authorized repair center. The Sony rep checked their problem database and told me no other cloudy-type issues had been reported (right). I then called the local repair center they referred me to; they want to come out and take my TV, they said it's obvious it won't be able to be fixed in my home. I am going to take my photos and other documentation over to them personally and see if I can get them to just bring me a new set - maybe get lucky. I will keep you all posted.
post #621 of 9118 Old 12-02-2006, 10:12 AM

Thanks Sony,
Just got my sony KDL-40XBR2 yesterday and noticed the clouding issue. Build date of OCT. 06. I am calling sony to open a case #.Great site. Thanks,bigorange
post #622 of 9118 Old 12-02-2006, 10:12 AM

i find this whole situation outrageous... i was looking forward to picking up the 46xbr3 relatively soon but this whole thread is making my decision quite hard.
post #623 of 9118 Old 12-02-2006, 10:12 AM

I just sent this email to Sony technical support:

I recently purchased an Bravia XBR3 set and am very unhappy with the quality of the picture. My screen has severe white spots and clouding on it, outside of the normal specs of an LCD screen. This problem mainly affects viewing anything with a letterbox, any programming with dark scenes in it as well as playing darker games on my Playstation 3.

It seems that this clouding issue is something that is a problem with sets manufactured within a certain timeframe as seen in this extensive thread from an audio video forum: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=748779

I would like to know what my options are and if I will be able to exchange the set when these problems are addressed. I don't want to go through the hassle of returning my set when I am not sure I will get a satisfactory replacement.

Were it not for this issue with the backlighting and screen, I would absolutely love this set. The features available and the styling of the set is amazing.

It bothers me that everytime someone contacts support they say they are not aware of this issue. I mean, seriously, come on, Sony. If you'd fess up to the problem, all of us would certainly be a lot more understanding knowing that you've addressed the issue and are willing to work with us until we are satisfied customers.
post #624 of 9118 Old 12-02-2006, 11:37 AM

Any known the size of the screws mounting the LCD to the stand . I disassembly the stand mounte the wall some how i can't find the screws now . I need to pack this LCD ship out on Monday back to scrutchfield . My LCD have the same clounding issues and i didn't known there a defect thought it normal until come across this forum. thanks guys.
I dont want to be negative but all the manufacturing in mexico are S**k. Iwork on the electroinic field we have the PCB factory in Mexico had all kind of defect i had travel there so many times look at their manufactruing process. I refer Asia manufactruing more than Mexico since all the OEM out source now.
post #625 of 9118 Old 12-02-2006, 01:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by instantpop View Post

I just sent this email to Sony technical support:

I recently purchased an Bravia XBR3 set and am very unhappy with the quality of the picture. My screen has severe white spots and clouding on it, outside of the normal specs of an LCD screen. This problem mainly affects viewing anything with a letterbox, any programming with dark scenes in it as well as playing darker games on my Playstation 3.

It seems that this clouding issue is something that is a problem with sets manufactured within a certain timeframe as seen in this extensive thread from an audio video forum: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=748779

I would like to know what my options are and if I will be able to exchange the set when these problems are addressed. I don't want to go through the hassle of returning my set when I am not sure I will get a satisfactory replacement.

Were it not for this issue with the backlighting and screen, I would absolutely love this set. The features available and the styling of the set is amazing.

It bothers me that everytime someone contacts support they say they are not aware of this issue. I mean, seriously, come on, Sony. If you'd fess up to the problem, all of us would certainly be a lot more understanding knowing that you've addressed the issue and are willing to work with us until we are satisfied customers.

i wouldn't let it bother you. That is standard operating procedure for most companies, not just Sony...even if the rep has done nothing but answer question after question about the same defect all day..he or she will always act as if this is the first time anyone has made this complaint. No admissions. Most companies train their reps to sound empathetic w/o making an admission of a defect...but if you listen carefully they never admit that it is their problem, just "we'll be happy to help you resolve your problem.." To be fair, it is not in their best interest to come clean about a defect..as much as it might make some people feel better it would open the door to fraudulant claims and other problems.

If you just bought the TV then you will get a faster resolution from the retailer. Just ask htem to set it up in their showroom so that you can inspect it before you go through the hassle of delivery.
post #626 of 9118 Old 12-02-2006, 02:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by forme View Post

Any known the size of the screws mounting the LCD to the stand . I disassembly the stand mounte the wall some how i can't find the screws now . I need to pack this LCD ship out on Monday back to scrutchfield . My LCD have the same clounding issues and i didn't known there a defect thought it normal until come across this forum. thanks guys.
I dont want to be negative but all the manufacturing in mexico are S**k. Iwork on the electroinic field we have the PCB factory in Mexico had all kind of defect i had travel there so many times look at their manufactruing process. I refer Asia manufactruing more than Mexico since all the OEM out source now.

That's the way it is dude

If it's not Mexico it's Thailand, & if not that then China.
Companies are doing anything they can to cut costs even at the expensive of quality.

Just to assure you, the new Sharps with the banding problems are made in a "state of the art plant" that was just finished just 2 months ago in Japan
post #627 of 9118 Old 12-02-2006, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roblim View Post

i wouldn't let it bother you. That is standard operating procedure for most companies, not just Sony...even if the rep has done nothing but answer question after question about the same defect all day..he or she will always act as if this is the first time anyone has made this complaint. No admissions. Most companies train their reps to sound empathetic w/o making an admission of a defect...but if you listen carefully they never admit that it is their problem, just "we'll be happy to help you resolve your problem.." To be fair, it is not in their best interest to come clean about a defect..as much as it might make some people feel better it would open the door to fraudulant claims and other problems.

If you just bought the TV then you will get a faster resolution from the retailer. Just ask htem to set it up in their showroom so that you can inspect it before you go through the hassle of delivery.

I know it's just the way business is conducted, but it's still annoying. I'm going to deal with Sony because dealing with Best Buy isn't any better. They aren't going to let me open up all their XBR3's in their showroom so I can pick one that I like. Last time I went in, they didn't even have any in stock. The other issue is that I bought it from a friend of mine who works at Best Buy, so consistently returning it isn't an option. That's why I am going through Sony to get the replacement since the set comes with an 18 month warranty. But I won't be taking delivery of anything until the issues seem to be resolved. I don't need the hassle of checking out a new tv every week. I just want one that looks the way it is supposed to look so I can enjoy the thing.

I got a reply from Sony saying that my technical issue was too difficult to discuss via email, so I need to call them. Will be doing that later this weekend and post my results.
post #628 of 9118 Old 12-02-2006, 04:09 PM

I have a KDL-40xbr2 that has a build date of October 06 and I think it has vertical banding issues. This is my second set, the first one had a July build but it had too many bad pixels. I might just give up on trying to get another one.
post #629 of 9118 Old 12-02-2006, 04:52 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psyosis View Post

Psyosis is back. I posted a few days ago saying I was getting the XBR-2 delivered from CC today. It is here, build date Nov. No cloud issue, perfect picture. They are out there, keep trying.

Wow, nice! Could you post a picture for us? I'm holding out hope that Sony will clean up its act.

"PLEASE HELP STOP HDTV ABUSE! FEED YOUR HDTV AN HD SIGNAL!"
post #630 of 9118 Old 12-02-2006, 05:43 PM
Advanced Member

Hello, I took 3 pictures and posted them here of what I believe to be a defect (clouding, hazing, uneveness), and I have a service person coming out this Thursday. Do I have a case, or is the service guy going to tell me this is normal and not help me? What do you think?

I can see more without the camera, and the camera didn't capture the backlight leakage from the top 2 corners and upper edge. I checked my mum's samsung LCD and hers did have a glow of course, but it was all an even glow, and looked perfect to me, so I'm pretty sure my haze and uneveness is a defect.

I mostly only notice the haze when it's at an end of a movie, or if it's extremely black in atleast 1/4 of the entire screen. Example, I was watching Superman (the new one) where he was in space kicking back with his eyes closed. It was a black scene and I totally noticed the haze.
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Sony Bravia S Series Kdl 40s2010 40 Inch Lcd Hdtv , Sony Bravia W Series Kdl 46w5100 46 Inch Lcd Hdtv , Sony Bravia Xbr Kdl 52xbr4 52 Inch 1080p Lcd Hdtv , Lcd Hdtv
Gear in this thread - 52xbr4 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page