Official Sony Bravia LCD Uneven Backlight/Cloudy Thread - Page 22 - AVS Forum
View Poll Results: Does your Sony 46" XBR LCD suffer from an uneven backlight or cloudy background?
YES, clouds can been seen when dark colors are displayed or when switching inputs 1,294 69.05%
NO, my screen has a perfect, fully even, backlight 580 30.95%
Voters: 1874. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 

post #631 of 9118 Old 12-02-2006, 07:10 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Looking at those pics makes me think..How the hell do those sets pass through quality control?? I am going through some crap also with sony(bad pixels)and cant beleive how a brand like sony sells us all this f up crap for the kind of money we have to pay for their products!!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #632 of 9118 Old 12-02-2006, 08:14 PM
AVS Special Member

I'm going to post some pictures of my new XBR2. I'm using some pictures from the Gears of War trailer I downloaded off Xbox Live. The TV was in a totally dark room. Any issues with the quality of the image are due to the photographer and not the Canon or the Sony or the Xbox!

GT: irunnoft
post #633 of 9118 Old 12-02-2006, 08:14 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIAsony View Post

Looking at those pics makes me think..How the hell do those sets pass through quality control?? I am going through some crap also with sony(bad pixels)and cant beleive how a brand like sony sells us all this f up crap for the kind of money we have to pay for their products!!!!

Well, the sad truth is that 95% of people who purchase these highly advanced HDTV's are average everyday idiots who don't even really know what an HDTV is. They aren't even giving the TV an HD signal because they don't know what it is. They think the clouding is normal and don't report it to Sony. That there lies the problem. If Sony sold x million sets and only has less than 1% of owners actually reporting defects, then they think "well we will just send out replacements so we don't have to issue a time consuming and super expensive recall". That is why I urge everyone on here who has a defective set to contact Sony NOW. Do not wait!!! Call now. The more reports they get, the better. CALL!!!

"PLEASE HELP STOP HDTV ABUSE! FEED YOUR HDTV AN HD SIGNAL!"
post #634 of 9118 Old 12-02-2006, 08:17 PM
AVS Special Member

40XBR2 picture 2 and 3

post #635 of 9118 Old 12-02-2006, 08:20 PM
AVS Special Member

And here's a picture of the TV without anything coming in on the input. I'm still on the external input that I was using for my Xbox. I just turned the Xbox off.

post #636 of 9118 Old 12-02-2006, 09:07 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonydude1966 View Post

Hello, I took 3 pictures and posted them here of what I believe to be a defect (clouding, hazing, uneveness), and I have a service person coming out this Thursday. Do I have a case, or is the service guy going to tell me this is normal and not help me? What do you think?

I can see more without the camera, and the camera didn't capture the backlight leakage from the top 2 corners and upper edge. I checked my mum's samsung LCD and hers did have a glow of course, but it was all an even glow, and looked perfect to me, so I'm pretty sure my haze and uneveness is a defect.

I mostly only notice the haze when it's at an end of a movie, or if it's extremely black in atleast 1/4 of the entire screen. Example, I was watching Superman (the new one) where he was in space kicking back with his eyes closed. It was a black scene and I totally noticed the haze.

So, are my pictures pretty much positive proof for people who will say that I am crazy? When I described my problem to my first tech, the guy said that if it's a night time problem, that he probably wouldn't be able to see it. Then, he goes on to describe how backlights shining through is normal. The guy had a pretty bad bedside manner, and didn't seem happy to be what he was doing. Like he didn't even want to bother with me. And, this was on the phone.

Anyhow, I went and fired him the next day, and have a different tech from a different company coming out on Thursday. I only spoke with a receptionist, so I am predicting the tech who shows up will give me a hard time since it will be daytime.

I also printed all the info on the "Mura defect" which is 100% what this is. I will politely hand my info to the tech on Thursday. This isn't a "pressure" issue or anything with putting the panel together. It is a defect in the LCD manufacturing process. No laying down, or adjusting will fix this. A new LCD screen needs to be installed, pure and simple.

For the people who said that laying the set face down worked, maybe you are wishful thinking? Or, maybe you had/have a different problem than what I have. The "Mura defect" definition is right on, that's what this is.

I'm just hoping I get a replacement set/LCD screen, so this can be over. I was further hoping to find out what's happening with other people with this problem AFTER the 30 days who went through the Sony warranty? Let us know.
post #637 of 9118 Old 12-02-2006, 09:35 PM

I finally returned my 46xbr3 today at our local best buy store. They inspected the tv and agreed with the clouding problem. Guess what, 2 more customers showed up at the same time as I did returning the same model. For some reason people from Magnolia were not surprised with the returns. It seems like they've been getting a lot of returns recently with the xbr. Anyway, I'll just wait it out until they fix this problem.
post #638 of 9118 Old 12-03-2006, 12:03 AM

Sony's got a real problem on their hands. I went to see the authorized repair shop Sony referred me to. The tech was very understanding when he looked at the photos I had printed. Although he hadn't yet seen this issue, he said he wasn't suprised given what he had seen on the 40XBR (apparently it's an issue w/ differential background lighting from one side of the screen to the other, said he had seen a couple of them ..). Just on the basis of the pics and what I told him about the issue and how prevalant it is (e.g. this board), and w/o seeing the set himself, he is pretty confident it is a mechanical and/or other manufacturing issue w/ the panel (he ddidn't feel it was related to mounting stress, etc). He will talk to Sony tech first and then if I want to go ahead they will order the panel and come get the set only after it comes in. They'll replace it and test it for two days to make sure it's right. I will not accept anything less, so I was glad to hear this. I'll keep this board advised.
post #639 of 9118 Old 12-03-2006, 12:42 AM

Just took delivery of a 52 inch XBR3...after reading this thread I seriously considered canceling the order, and I was fully prepared to have the guys take the set back if there was any hint of the problems described here. But there was absolutely no issue...this TV is perfect, no dead pixels and a consistent backlight with no clouding. I even had them wait while I watched the Star Wars opening crawl in total darkness just to make sure.

I don't mean to say that this is not a real issue...the pictures posted here make it pretty clear that some of these panels have severe problems. But at least in my experience there are good recently manufactured units out there, and the set is incredible.
post #640 of 9118 Old 12-03-2006, 02:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by miked112 View Post

Just took delivery of a 52 inch XBR3...after reading this thread I seriously considered canceling the order, and I was fully prepared to have the guys take the set back if there was any hint of the problems described here. But there was absolutely no issue...this TV is perfect, no dead pixels and a consistent backlight with no clouding. I even had them wait while I watched the Star Wars opening crawl in total darkness just to make sure.

I don't mean to say that this is not a real issue...the pictures posted here make it pretty clear that some of these panels have severe problems. But at least in my experience there are good recently manufactured units out there, and the set is incredible.

Are you 100% sure? what date is it from?
Make sure you read this post to test it out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dietcokefiend View Post

Also might go hand in hand with them not being sold at any common retailer. Who the heck even sells Mitsu electronics anymore? Isn't it generally only sold at little shops now in really small volume?

Circuit City & Fry's just started carrying the new 1080ps.

Everyone with the problems with Sony's new sets should chcek them out.
I for one want to know if it's true that they are defect free (current price is out of my range sadly)
post #641 of 9118 Old 12-03-2006, 06:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

this TV is perfect, no dead pixels and a consistent backlight with no clouding. I even had them wait while I watched the Star Wars opening crawl in total darkness just to make sure.

I'll bet THAT gave the delivery guys something to chat about on the way back to the shop!

All kidding aside, I feel like Mike. When I found the old sale card at BB on the floor still and realized they were going to honor the price, part of me felt like "Well, I'm going to buy this XBR2, but chances are that I'm going to have to turn right around and bring it back!" I almost felt like not even swapping the V2500 and considering it had minimal clouding. Anyhow, when I got the XBR2 home and plugged it up, I crossed the proverbial fingers, turned off the lights and got to a black input screen. . . no clouds! Let the Hallelujah chorus roll! I absolutely do not doubt that this a problem for some people, but having a dreaded Oct. 2006 build qual que hecho en Mexico, I feel muy muy lucky, hombre.

post #642 of 9118 Old 12-03-2006, 09:46 AM

i HAVE A QUESTION ON returns,

I bought my tv IN delaware and payed 0% tax, and i want to return to my local store in NJ will BB Refund my money with the extra 7% tax like i would have payed for in NJ? or should i try to return with no recipt and get store credit so they can tell where i got it from?
post #643 of 9118 Old 12-03-2006, 10:00 AM

This may have been mentioned earlier, but what is happening what a Sony repair tech looks at these sets? Are they being repaired? I have the KDL-46XBR2 with some clouds. I have called Sony, and they gave me an "event" number and some phone numbers of local servicers. The repair techs in my area are backed up until next year (wonder why?)
post #644 of 9118 Old 12-03-2006, 10:43 AM

My 40 (Oct. 06 build) was delivered yesterday from CC. Clouding evident in lower left hand corner. Also throughout rest of screen, with what looks like a diagonal periodicity. Back to CC we go.

Should probably change the name of this thread, as it is not just the 46s.

Are we having fun yet?
post #645 of 9118 Old 12-03-2006, 11:10 AM

No!@!!!
post #646 of 9118 Old 12-03-2006, 11:39 AM

Thread seems like it is dying out...
post #647 of 9118 Old 12-03-2006, 11:46 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vertebra View Post

Thank you for this very important update!

"PLEASE HELP STOP HDTV ABUSE! FEED YOUR HDTV AN HD SIGNAL!"
post #648 of 9118 Old 12-03-2006, 11:49 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kermit24 View Post

This may have been mentioned earlier, but what is happening what a Sony repair tech looks at these sets? Are they being repaired? I have the KDL-46XBR2 with some clouds. I have called Sony, and they gave me an "event" number and some phone numbers of local servicers. The repair techs in my area are backed up until next year (wonder why?)

I have an appointment this Thursday with a tech coming to my home. I would also like to know what is happening when the techs look at these and what they are doing about it.
post #649 of 9118 Old 12-03-2006, 11:50 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vertebra View Post

This thread can't die until we hear what Sony is doing about these problems.
post #650 of 9118 Old 12-03-2006, 12:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

This thread can't die until we hear what Sony is doing about these problems.

Agreed. I don't think this thread is dead until we hear the conclusion of the whole matter. Also, I don't think we stick a fork in it until people are buying these sets off shelves and having almost no problems. Rather, it seems the other way around. People buy the sets off shelves and luck out if they get one without any clouding issues. I just wish that made by SONY still equalled made in JAPAN!

post #651 of 9118 Old 12-03-2006, 12:25 PM

650 posts and almost 35,000 views. I'd say this thread is far from dead.
post #652 of 9118 Old 12-03-2006, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wtfer View Post

Are you 100% sure? what date is it from?
Make sure you read this post to test it out.

It's from October; they just started shipping a couple of weeks ago. I think I did everything you can do to find this problem; stated at open inputs and watched as much dark content in total darkness as i could and there is just nothing there.
post #653 of 9118 Old 12-03-2006, 01:17 PM

As I posted previously, I posted a review on the cloudiness issue with the XBR2s on Amazon.com so that this problem can get some more main-stream exposure. For the most part, it's getting good reception. I'm sure we can all agree that people need to know about this issue before they buy.

However, there appears to be a Sony fan boy who posted a review that was mostly cut-n-pasted from Crutchfield's site on this set on Amazon. He felt is necessary to post an update to his review about the cloudiness issue shortly after my post appeared that took some wind out of his glowing fanboy review's sails. He seems to think we're all suffering from buyer's remorse and are just too stupid to exhange our sets for a good one. Not to mention that we all watch this set from 2 feet away.

I just don't get why people have to be so dismissive about something they don't understand.
post #654 of 9118 Old 12-03-2006, 01:25 PM

Quote:

It's from October; they just started shipping a couple of weeks ago. I think I did everything you can do to find this problem; stated at open inputs and watched as much dark content in total darkness as i could and there is just nothing there.

Congrats miked112 on a good set! Hopefully this is a sign of better times ahead for all of us.
post #655 of 9118 Old 12-03-2006, 01:30 PM
Advanced Member

I added some pics. Would you rate mine good or bad compared to what this problem looks like for most people? Some call me crazy.
post #656 of 9118 Old 12-03-2006, 01:37 PM

Quote:

I added some pics. Would you rate mine good or bad compared to what this problem looks like for most people? Some call me crazy.

That looks awful! The reddish coloration is something I don't see unless I'm looking at the screen from an acute angle and very close up. Though, why are your pics taken at an angle and not straight on?
post #657 of 9118 Old 12-03-2006, 02:28 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sauron256 View Post

That looks awful! The reddish coloration is something I don't see unless I'm looking at the screen from an acute angle and very close up. Though, why are your pics taken at an angle and not straight on?

My straight on picture doesn't show the effect as much, I'll attach a picture of the straight on view. The right angle is even worse than the left angle. When I sit to the right and on the floor, is really where this effect is most noticeable. Is my problem different than others I wonder?
post #658 of 9118 Old 12-03-2006, 02:37 PM

Quote:

IMO, the cloudiness you see in your two "from the side" pics are probably due to some sort of diffraction of the light output or something when viewing the set at such an acute angle. As sauron256 suggested, only look at the TV straight on to evaluate cloudiness.

My 32" Sony LCD has almost perfectly uniform backlight leakage when viewing straight on with a blank input. However, when viewing the set an acute angle like those shown in your pictures, the screen looks like a hazing mess, again with a blank input.

With regards to your earlier comment...
"This isn't a "pressure" issue or anything with putting the panel together. It is a defect in the LCD manufacturing process. No laying down, or adjusting will fix this."

This laying down actually eliminated the cloudy problem that I was seeing on my set (32" Sony LCD), as I initially described several hundred posts ago in this now massive thread. I still think that the cloudiness is a "pressure" issue within the LCD panel itself, due to a defect in the LCD manufacturing process. I'm guessing that your set is so out of whack that any "destressing" didn't have an effect.

Anyways, I hope you guys this issue resolved.
post #659 of 9118 Old 12-03-2006, 02:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
Quote:

The Sony 52 inch XBR3 is the very set we are considering buying ourselves for Christmas. Glad to hear they *may* have solved this problem.

Question:

1. How about Motion Blur? I've heard that's an issue on LCD screens. Seen any problems there?

Obsessed is such an ugly word... We like to think of ourselves as extremely focused.
post #660 of 9118 Old 12-03-2006, 03:34 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kontai69 View Post

IMO, the cloudiness you see in your two "from the side" pics are probably due to some sort of diffraction of the light output or something when viewing the set at such an acute angle. As sauron256 suggested, only look at the TV straight on to evaluate cloudiness.

Straight on still shows the effect of haziness (not quite clouds) and uneveness, with that reddish kind of background splattered against the screen in different areas. It was just for picture purposes that I took from an angle because it is more pronounced that way for the camera to pick up. In a dark room I personally see from straight on what the camera sees at an angle.

Also, I have blotches that you can't see so much in the pics that seem exactly the definition of "mura defect." The mura defect has many different varieties.

Anyway, I was hoping to get a little reassurance that Sony will fix this for me, so I don't have to go to small claims court or something, which would be somewhat of an extra hassle I really do not look forward to having to go through. But, I guess I'll have to wait and see.

Don't you think a tech will not give me a hard time, and just get this fixed? Check out my pics in my previous post. Thanks.
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Sony Bravia S Series Kdl 40s2010 40 Inch Lcd Hdtv , Sony Bravia W Series Kdl 46w5100 46 Inch Lcd Hdtv , Sony Bravia Xbr Kdl 52xbr4 52 Inch 1080p Lcd Hdtv , Lcd Hdtv
Gear in this thread - 52xbr4 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page