Official Sony Bravia LCD Uneven Backlight/Cloudy Thread - Page 23 - AVS Forum
View Poll Results: Does your Sony 46" XBR LCD suffer from an uneven backlight or cloudy background?
YES, clouds can been seen when dark colors are displayed or when switching inputs 1,294 69.05%
NO, my screen has a perfect, fully even, backlight 580 30.95%
Voters: 1874. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 

post #661 of 9118 Old 12-03-2006, 02:43 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'm new to this forum. I have received alot of useful information in the past so I wanted to share my Sony 46" XBR2 story with everyone.
I'm going on my 3rd set now. I purchased my first one about 3 weeks ago and could not understand the clouding on the set, I had one large cloud always in the upper left corner no matter what I watched. I contacted my store (Hawthorne) and they told me I needed this problem verified by a technician. One came out saw the screen called Sony on the phone and 1 minute later he was told the panel is bad. So back to Hawthorne I went with that written information.
The store sent out a new set the next day and took the old one away. The second set had the same blotch in the upper left corner and one in the lower right. I lived with it almost a week because the color and overall picture is amazing but I went back and told my story again, This time I gave the Samsung a try instead. model was 46" LNS4696D. Boy did I make a mistake. I went back and was ready to beg the manager to switch me back to Sony. To make a long story short. I'm waiting for the store to get more XBR2'S in stock and they are going to send me a 3rd set out and take that horrible Samsung away. The Samsung did not have any black issues like the 2 Sony's did but that's the only good thing I can say about it. I told the Manager at the store please let me have another Sony because even if I get a 3rd Sony with that clouding problem I know I can live with that because this Sony LCD had the most amazing color and when I watched my first High Definition DVD (King Kong) on it I knew that was as good as it gets.
So tomorrow I'll find out how long I have to wait for my next one, But I can wait knowing I'm not going to complain anymore. Who knows I might get a perfect one .
I hope this helps someone else who has stressed out over this very exspensive investment.
By the way, I paid $3200.00 for mine and $400.00 for the extended warranty. I believe the $400.00 for the warrany is money well spent.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #662 of 9118 Old 12-03-2006, 03:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bareyb View Post

How about Motion Blur? I've heard that's an issue on LCD screens. Seen any problems there?

I can't say I have, though I don't think I'm particularly sensitive to it. What I have seen from time to time is voices slightly out of sync, and that is a known issue on LCDs. But I've only seen it on DirecTV, and I also saw it on my old Pioneer Elite 510, so i'm not definitely attributing it to the XBR at this point.
post #663 of 9118 Old 12-03-2006, 05:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by miked112 View Post

I can't say I have, though I don't think I'm particularly sensitive to it. What I have seen from time to time is voices slightly out of sync, and that is a known issue on LCDs. But I've only seen it on DirecTV, and I also saw it on my old Pioneer Elite 510, so i'm not definitely attributing it to the XBR at this point.

Thanks Mike. We are all but ready to pull the trigger on one. Just have to figure out whether to stay with DirecTV or go with Comcast Digital. I'm leaning toward Comcast since they offer better support for TiVo (DirecTV has abandoned TiVo and it's only a matter of time before they stop supporting it completely). So we'll likely go Comcast if they have my locals in HD. AFAIK they do...

Obsessed is such an ugly word... We like to think of ourselves as extremely focused.
post #664 of 9118 Old 12-03-2006, 05:55 PM

If I have a problem with this cloudiness, how long do I have to take it up with Sony? Is it possible I'll receive a new one?
post #665 of 9118 Old 12-03-2006, 06:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lieutenant Dan View Post

If I have a problem with this cloudiness, how long do I have to take it up with Sony? Is it possible I'll receive a new one?

Warranties on the XBR2's is 12 months, and 18 months on the XBR3's. If you are in that window and your set is considered defective, you should be able to get a replacement.
post #666 of 9118 Old 12-03-2006, 06:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by instantpop View Post

Warranties on the XBR2's is 12 months, and 18 months on the XBR3's. If you are in that window and your set is considered defective, you should be able to get a replacement.

Is the cloudiness considered "defective" by Sony's standards? And do you have to pay shipping costs to get a replacement?
post #667 of 9118 Old 12-03-2006, 07:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonydude1966 View Post

My straight on picture doesn't show the effect as much, I'll attach a picture of the straight on view. The right angle is even worse than the left angle. When I sit to the right and on the floor, is really where this effect is most noticeable. Is my problem different than others I wonder?

I'll be perfectly honest with you, sonydude, I don't think you have a problem at all. The reddish hue is present in my screen and was also present in the V2500 I traded for my XBR2. It shows up when I'm standing at a very sharp angle from the TV and also standing very close. That's something that, to my understanding, is normal for these sets.

With regards to your last picture that was facing directly in front of the TV, I don't see the clouding problem that others have experienced. In fact, I'd warrant that others would happily trade you their sets for yours. Yours looks pretty good to me. If you go back into this thread, you'll see some pictures of some TVs that were most definitely suffering from bright clouds in the picture. I just don't see it in yours. Of course you know better because it's right in front of you, but to me, that set doesn't seem to suffer from the problem that I've seen so thoroughly documented in this thread.

GT: irunnoft
post #668 of 9118 Old 12-03-2006, 08:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irunnoft View Post

I'll be perfectly honest with you, sonydude, I don't think you have a problem at all. The reddish hue is present in my screen and was also present in the V2500 I traded for my XBR2. It shows up when I'm standing at a very sharp angle from the TV and also standing very close. That's something that, to my understanding, is normal for these sets.

With regards to your last picture that was facing directly in front of the TV, I don't see the clouding problem that others have experienced. In fact, I'd warrant that others would happily trade you their sets for yours. Yours looks pretty good to me. If you go back into this thread, you'll see some pictures of some TVs that were most definitely suffering from bright clouds in the picture. I just don't see it in yours. Of course you know better because it's right in front of you, but to me, that set doesn't seem to suffer from the problem that I've seen so thoroughly documented in this thread.

I don't know but this pic does look pretty bad
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/attac...chmentid=69326

I'd say he has a bad unit.

I have a question, where the hell is consumer reports on this. aren't they supposed to report on these things?
Why was sony sued over crappy that small lcd on a camera & their defective batteries, but they are selling known defective $4,000 LCDs without any reprisals.
post #669 of 9118 Old 12-03-2006, 08:59 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irunnoft View Post

Thanks for your opinion, that is why I am here posting. I agree with you that my set isn't as bad as some of the others here, that is no doubt. I don't have bright clouds. I do however have hazy skies that perhaps resemble a smokey room just after a smoker finished his cig, a non uniformed haziness. I also see some slightly darker blotches (little circles) in different locations throughout the screen, and backlight leakage in the top edge and top corners.

Perhaps after spending more than $3,000, I am looking a lot harder at this thing than I paid for my old 20" Sony Trinitron years ago, I will give you that. I checked my mums Samsung LCD she purchased a few months back, and noticed none of what I have on my screen. She spent half what I did, and she has even uniformed backlighting. I definitely have a Mura Defect, which yes, I understand, could be worse like some of the bright clouds seen here.

I am definitely on the fence with this issue, again, which is why I am posting for opinions. Keep them coming. Thank you all.
post #670 of 9118 Old 12-03-2006, 09:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lieutenant Dan View Post

Is the cloudiness considered "defective" by Sony's standards? And do you have to pay shipping costs to get a replacement?

From what some people have posted in here in regards to their experiences with Sony technicians seeing their sets first hand, it has been diagnosed as a defect. It certainly isn't normal, that's for sure, as pictures with perfect screens exist in this thread.

I for one am waiting until the problem gets sorted out and then I'll be utilizing my warranty. I don't have the time to go back and forth to Best Buy over and over again hoping to get a decent set. I'll get mine replaced when I know this issue has been fixed so that the next set that arrives will be the one that I keep and can be done with this hassle.

I would assume that will take place within my warranty window. If not, I have the extended warranty from Best Buy for 4 years and will get something comparable, perhaps the new Bravia line, to replace it. I certainly didn't spend $3k+ for this garbage. I also didn't spend $3k+ to go through a return process that may or may not get me a good set. Therefore, I will wait until it seems this defect has been fixed. I spent a good deal of money on this Sony product and I intend to make them work to get me a satisfactory set.
post #671 of 9118 Old 12-03-2006, 10:04 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

From what some people have posted in here in regards to their experiences with Sony technicians seeing their sets first hand, it has been diagnosed as a defect. It certainly isn't normal, that's for sure, as pictures with perfect screens exist in this thread.

I for one am waiting until the problem gets sorted out and then I'll be utilizing my warranty. I don't have the time to go back and forth to Best Buy over and over again hoping to get a decent set. I'll get mine replaced when I know this issue has been fixed so that the next set that arrives will be the one that I keep and can be done with this hassle.

I would assume that will take place within my warranty window. If not, I have the extended warranty from Best Buy for 4 years and will get something comparable, perhaps the new Bravia line, to replace it. I certainly didn't spend $3k+ for this garbage. I also didn't spend $3k+ to go through a return process that may or may not get me a good set. Therefore, I will wait until it seems this defect has been fixed. I spent a good deal of money on this Sony product and I intend to make them work to get me a satisfactory set.

Could you post pics?
post #672 of 9118 Old 12-03-2006, 10:33 PM

I returned my first 46 XBR2 to the BB I bought it from. They happened to have another one in stock although the BB web site said they didn't. They opened the box and allowed me to test it there before bringing it home.

I was unable to see any problems with the backlighting in the store so I brought the new set home. There is still some clouding on the new set but not nearly as bad as the last one. This time its on the right side and top-middle. I think its bearable now although still annoying considering the cost of the unit.

The straw that broke the proverbial camel's back was when I started watching tv this afternoon I noticed 2 bright blue stuck pixels in the middle of the screen. They were not there yesterday. Made me so mad I boxed mine up and took it right in.

BTW, I called Sony about the problem and opened up a report. They had me call two of the local service centers. One of them told me they didn't service Sony, the second one told me that their technician just got in a car accident. Grrr. So instead of sitting on this TV and waiting for someone to fix it, I just opted to take it back.

This new set is also an October 2006.
post #673 of 9118 Old 12-03-2006, 11:43 PM

I wonder if this forum represents a small percentage of XBR buyers.
post #674 of 9118 Old 12-03-2006, 11:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnowFox View Post

I wonder if this forum represents a small percentage of XBR buyers.

Of course it does. I would say millions sold and not even 500 xbr posters/owners IMO.

cheezz

After having witnessed the mugging of a snail by a fellow snail, the investigating officer asked the DMP-BD30 what happened to which the BD player replied "I don't remember...it happened so fast."
post #675 of 9118 Old 12-04-2006, 06:09 AM
Advanced Member

type in sony 46 xbr2 in google and this comes up pretty high in results

people are checking this thread which is a good sign

hopefully this gets resolved asap

Blu-Ray Supporter
post #676 of 9118 Old 12-04-2006, 06:10 AM
Advanced Member

it would be good if a mod can edit the subject line and add 40 to it

Blu-Ray Supporter
post #677 of 9118 Old 12-04-2006, 06:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wtfer View Post

I don't know but this pic does look pretty bad
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/attac...chmentid=69326

I'd say he has a bad unit.

I have a question, where the hell is consumer reports on this. aren't they supposed to report on these things?
Why was sony sued over crappy that small lcd on a camera & their defective batteries, but they are selling known defective $4,000 LCDs without any reprisals.

Again, I don't see what's bad about this. Admittedly, I'm new to this whole technical forum and my knowledge in this area pales to most everybody else's on this site, maybe somebody could tell me what, exactly, is wrong with this picture or the face on picture sonydude took.

This picture was taken from the side which accounts for the reddish hue. My set looks nearly identical to this when I stand at a sharp angle and look at it. It doesn't have any type of reddish hue from a normal viewing angle.

According to sonydude, he's seeing black spots on his set. That's something that I don't see on mine. If that were the case, I'd be looking at opening up a ticket with Sony for documenting and possibly scheduling a repair tech.

So what does normal bleeding through the screen look like from an acute angle? I'm not naysaying anything, but if there is a defect with this screen, I'd honestly like to know what it is because I may need to contact Sony regarding the same issue.

My idea of a defective screen was one of the earlier pictured, documented problems.

GT: irunnoft
post #678 of 9118 Old 12-04-2006, 06:32 AM

Quote:

I feel the same. I am on my second 46XBR2 from BB, with almost the exact same gray splotch in the upper left corner. It just hangs there taunting me on every dark scene. I can't even imagine enjoying a movie like Star Wars on this set at night. It really is distracting and depressing. However, I would be tempted to upgrade to the 52 in., if I knew that size had no problems. I only saw one or two posts of a 52 in. on this thread said said there were no cloudy issues. Any more experience with the 52 in.?
post #679 of 9118 Old 12-04-2006, 08:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonydude1966 View Post

Could you post pics?

I posted a pic of my defective set a few pages ago in this thread.
post #680 of 9118 Old 12-04-2006, 09:33 AM

I brought my 40" XBR2 back to BB on Saturday to exchange it. They unpacked it and had a few people come look at it, and basically said that although they could see what I was talking about, they felt that I was being very picky, and that clouding is normal for LCD's. They *did* let me exchange it, but I didn't unbox and inspect the replacement in the store (although I should have). The replacement is marginally better, though not much. (Both the original and replacement units were made in OCT-06.)

At this point I'm just going to open a trouble ticket with Sony and see what happens. I still feel that a TV that's this expensive shouldn't have this kind of a problem, but in the absence of any reliable path to getting the issue resolved, I feel like there's not much more I can do, and I got such a great price on it that I don't want to just return it. GRRRR .....
post #681 of 9118 Old 12-04-2006, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fwb3 View Post

They unpacked it and had a few people come look at it, and basically said that although they could see what I was talking about, they felt that I was being very picky, and that clouding is normal for LCD's.

They say it's normal huh? I would have challenged them on that statement. I'd like them to show you any other LCD in the store, other than the 46" or larger 1080p sets, that have the same defect.
post #682 of 9118 Old 12-04-2006, 10:18 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fwb3 View Post

I brought my 40" XBR2 back to BB on Saturday to exchange it. They unpacked it and had a few people come look at it, and basically said that although they could see what I was talking about, they felt that I was being very picky, and that clouding is normal for LCD's. They *did* let me exchange it, but I didn't unbox and inspect the replacement in the store (although I should have). The replacement is marginally better, though not much. (Both the original and replacement units were made in OCT-06.)

At this point I'm just going to open a trouble ticket with Sony and see what happens. I still feel that a TV that's this expensive shouldn't have this kind of a problem, but in the absence of any reliable path to getting the issue resolved, I feel like there's not much more I can do, and I got such a great price on it that I don't want to just return it. GRRRR .....

Could you post a pic?
post #683 of 9118 Old 12-04-2006, 10:20 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by swizzir View Post

They say it's normal huh? I would have challenged them on that statement. I'd like them to show you any other LCD in the store, other than the 46" 1080p sets, that have the same defect.

I could show them two: the 46" and 52" Samsungs
post #684 of 9118 Old 12-04-2006, 10:27 AM

Miniz can you change the title of the thread to something like "Official 40"+, 1080p LCD Uneven Backlight/Cloudy Thread"?

More suggestions?
post #685 of 9118 Old 12-04-2006, 10:31 AM

I agree, as more than just the 46 in., seems to have the cloudy issue. Are there many instances of 52 in. cloudiness, or not many sets in this size purchased AND member of this forum?
post #686 of 9118 Old 12-04-2006, 10:32 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by swizzir View Post

Miniz can you change the title of the thread to something like "Official 40"+, 1080p LCD Uneven Backlight/Cloudy Thread"?

More suggestions?

Good call. Although, I think the IS limited to only the Samsung/Sony panels, so perhaps that instead of just 40"+ 1080p.
post #687 of 9118 Old 12-04-2006, 10:48 AM

Does anyone know if Samsung has responded to the issue, as I believe I read that they, too, have the same issue/panel?
post #688 of 9118 Old 12-04-2006, 10:55 AM
25S

This is my first post. I've Had my XBR2 since "Black Friday". When I took it out of the box at home I plugged it in, turned it on and immediately noticed there was clouding on the blank input. This is my first LCD panel and I wasn't sure it was normal. I proceeded to hook up my cable box and DVD player. As I was watching the TV I decided that the TV was a little bright so I turned the Light sensor on. That made most of the clouding go away. While Watching Van Helsing I noticed I had lost some of the detail in the scenes so I switched the light sensor off then all I could look at was the clouding. A quick search of " KDL-46XBR2 clouding " on Google brought me here. I am frustrated after spending this much money on a TV. I've taken the last week trying to decide what to do. Today I called Sony tech support 1-800-222-7669 and spoke with a man named Norbert He asked the "Q card" questions. Is the clouding there when the TV is off? Have you tried adjusting the brightness? Is there a window reflecting on the screen? Could you unplug it for five minutes? Are there large speakers near the screen? After he asked about the speakers I couldn't help but laugh. I told him he got his cards mixed up and this a LCD panel not a CRT. After a few more questions Norbert gave me the numbers to two local sony service centers. The first number was busy. I reached someone at the second number and explained the problem to him and told him about what I read here. He that said replacing the panel would be a three to four week process and suggested I exchange the TV where I bought it. So I called the Sony Style here in Tampa. I spoke with the store manager and explained the problem. He was very understanding and told me there would be no problem exchanging the set except he didn't have any in stock. He told me there was another gentleman with an XBR3 that has the same problem and asked if I could live with the TV for another week until they get more in. I agreed, he took my info and assured me he would call as soon as they come in. So I guess I'll just be watching the weather channel for the next week, hoping my new set doesn't have the same problem.
post #689 of 9118 Old 12-04-2006, 11:08 AM

Welcome to our club. As much as I hate to say it I'm glad that you and another customer at your Sony Style store have talked to the store manager about the problem. It only helps our cause when managers are brought into the loop. Maybe it won't make a difference but I'd like to think that a manager at a Sony Style store could have more impact than a floor salesman at BB or CC.

If you're so inclined call Sony back at that 800 number and ask to speak to a technical specialist for the XBR2. More than likely you'll get transferred to Sony's branch in San Diego. The guys I've talked to there have been great and it would be good if yet another unsatisfied customer called them.

Also if you can take pictures of your set showcasing the problem, post them here, and see if you can e-mail them to someone at Sony tech support.
post #690 of 9118 Old 12-04-2006, 11:21 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I tried changing the title, but we may need a mod to help us out here. I don't know if the new title will update?

"PLEASE HELP STOP HDTV ABUSE! FEED YOUR HDTV AN HD SIGNAL!"
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Sony Bravia S Series Kdl 40s2010 40 Inch Lcd Hdtv , Sony Bravia W Series Kdl 46w5100 46 Inch Lcd Hdtv , Sony Bravia Xbr Kdl 52xbr4 52 Inch 1080p Lcd Hdtv , Lcd Hdtv
Gear in this thread - 52xbr4 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page