Official Sony Bravia LCD Uneven Backlight/Cloudy Thread - Page 24 - AVS Forum

AVS Forum > Display Devices > LCD Flat Panel Displays > Official Sony Bravia LCD Uneven Backlight/Cloudy Thread

View Poll Results: Does your Sony 46" XBR LCD suffer from an uneven backlight or cloudy background?
YES, clouds can been seen when dark colors are displayed or when switching inputs 1,294 69.05%
NO, my screen has a perfect, fully even, backlight 580 30.95%
Voters: 1874. You may not vote on this poll
LCD Flat Panel Displays

sauron256's Avatar sauron256
12:33 PM Liked: 10
post #691 of 9118
12-04-2006 | Posts: 97
Check out this article I found about the Samsung/Sony S-LCD plant venture:

Article link

The article gives some detail on how Sony QC has changed since the first XBR2s were built. It's interesting to note that when Sony first started making the XBR2s, all panels were shipped directly to Sony's plant for inspection before adding the electronic components. Since then, the panels have shipped directly to Mexico - by-passing inspection in Japan.

Anyone see a possible correlation here? Panels made in July were perfect, but since then, they've been hit-or-miss?
swizzir's Avatar swizzir
12:44 PM Liked: 10
post #692 of 9118
12-04-2006 | Posts: 240
Quote:
Originally Posted by sauron256 View Post

The article gives some detail on how Sony QC has changed since the first XBR2s were built. It's interesting to note that when Sony first started making the XBR2s, all panels were shipped directly to Sony's plant for inspection before adding the electronic components. Since then, the panels have shipped directly to Mexico - by-passing inspection in Japan.

Very interesting indeed.
loz's Avatar loz
12:45 PM Liked: 10
post #693 of 9118
12-04-2006 | Posts: 4
Hello, first of all I would like to say that I am an owner of a Sony XBR2 46" Sony that I purchased from CC a month ago. As with many users in this thread (most of which I read), I too am a victim of the clouding effect. I certainly feel for all the users out there who are going through this ordeal. I took my first set back to Circuit City regarding the clouding effect within 3 days of purchase and exchanged it with another new one. I even had CC staff take it out of the box and plug it in to some video sources to make sure that the clouding effect was not there and I didn't notice any in the store. (I have to hand it to the CC store manager in Bellevue, WA (Don) for being very understanding. The staff also apparently knew about a "clouding issue" and they seemed empathethic.) Then with great care, and with a help of a friend, we took the new TV home and ,yes, there was the clouding issue again but not as bad. The next 3o days was a long story of more research and dilemma of whether to take this "great" TV back to the store or just bite it and stick with it.

Yesterday was my last day of the 30-day return policy. I tried a user's (kandoi??) suggestion of PLACING THE TV FACE DOWN on a flat surface for some time - and it kind of WORKED!! Well - at least it helped noticably (but didn't solve the problem completely). I was able to watch Star Wars III on a cloudy Sunday with all blinds closed and my settings at default with no visible cloudiness and no distraction.

For any users out there who would like to try this (at their own risk!), I suggest placing the TV face down on the original box, with the stand dangling at the side of the box. I left my TV like this overnight (8 hours). I took before and after pictures with a Canon G7 camera at ISO 3200 in the dark and you can see the difference with your own eyes when I post them later this evening. (I don't have the pictures with me right now).

I decided NOT to return the second set. It's just too much of a hassle (as I have to arrange for transportation) and there's no better alternative to buy right now. I was thinking of replacing it with a Samsung but apparently they are prone to the same issue. If you are a new customer who's thinking of buying a new HDTV, my recommendation would be to HOLD OFF for a year if you can until the technology is improved. All technologies available today have some sort of issue. Plasmas have burn-in, LCD's have uneven blacks, other TVs have low brightness or small viewing angles etc..

I have looked at many LCDs in the last month (not just LCD TVs, but actual LCDs) to see if they have the clouding issue. I wouldn't call it "clouding", but to some degree, all LCDs I have looked at have uneven-blacks, namely brighter closer to the light source (i.e. edges). Personally, I think the issue may have always been there but only become noticable at huge screens like the Sony. I also think that if during the delivery, the TV is let stand on it's side, the issue becomes worse. (My friend took the first TV off his SUV and put it on its side for like a minute.)

I agree with all the complaints of buyers of these TVs. Yes, a TV shouldn't be so 'touchy'. Yes, after spending thousands of dollars, you are entitled to expect much better quality - especially from an established brand. Yes, users shouldn't be made to go through this ordeal.

As for my final comments... To 'nay-sayers': this really is a big big issue that must be handled by Sony. My satisfaction with Sony has gone way down after this ordeal. If the TV wasn't such a huge beast and if there was a better alternative, I would take it back w/o regrets. How big is the issue? Well, if you watch any kind of movie with dark scenes (Matrix, Star-wars, Memento, you name it), you will be totally distracted by the brightness as if somebody was shining a lamp on the TV. It's really hard to enjoy a movie that way. To be accurate the cloudiness is much less apparent when there are brightly lit scenes (like travel shows or Shrek2) or music concerts or football games, but I've found that pretty much most shows and all movies have a dark scene. That will defitinely take your mind off of what you're watching and leave you wondering whether you made the right decision to spend so much money on a TV.

I will post the pictures tonight.
Vidop's Avatar Vidop
12:54 PM Liked: 20
post #694 of 9118
12-04-2006 | Posts: 292
Hello to all-Long time lurker-first time posting. I got my 46" XBR two weeks ago. It is a Nov. 06 build date. After previously studying this site for months before buying, I was nervous about the "cloud" issue. Well, sure enough, my screen had this issue. Not blatant clouding, but-subdued clouding-more of an uneven haziness. I noticed when turning the screen on from cold, it's not apparent. But after about 10 minutes, it became noticeable. Anyway-I set it up with an Avia disk and the clouding was less noticeable. I looked at Petmic's settings and they were close to what I was using. I tried one other thing last week and I COMPLETELY got rid of the clouding. In a DARK room, I turned on the light sensor. Of course, this upset my brightness/contrast settings. I reset these with the Avia disk and to my amazement--NO CLOUDING! I mean ZERO! And, the set still looks great in a brightly lit environment. End result-I am absolutely satisfied with the set. This tv has absolutely STUNNING/JAW DROPPING video quality. Even the SD (analog) stations are more than satisfactory. I had been giving thought about calling Sony. But, the way this set looks now, I'm keeping it. Anyway-this is my experience so far. Also-this set has 1 stuck pixel. A green pixel at nine o'clock two inches in from the left side. Further than one foot away from the screen, it cannot be seen. So, I'm not going to complain about it.
swizzir's Avatar swizzir
01:04 PM Liked: 10
post #695 of 9118
12-04-2006 | Posts: 240
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vidop View Post

I tried one other thing last week and I COMPLETELY got rid of the clouding. In a DARK room, I turned on the light sensor. Of course, this upset my brightness/contrast settings. I reset these with the Avia disk and to my amazement--NO CLOUDING! I mean ZERO! And, the set still looks great in a brightly lit environment. End result-I am absolutely satisfied with the set.

I too notice a significant decrease in clouding when turning on the light sensor but I don't have the light sensor turned on with my settings as I don't like the dynamic adjustment of screen brightness.

More so, to me - and this is not a dig at you Vidop -, having to turn the light sensor on in order to greatly diminish, or in your case eliminate, clouds is not a solution. It's doing nothing more than masking the problem. I think myself and a lot of other owners would like to have the problem solved and not hidden by a setting.
canadiankorean's Avatar canadiankorean
01:42 PM Liked: 10
post #696 of 9118
12-04-2006 | Posts: 11
Cloudiness after a few minutes....
Do you think it has to do with your eyes adjusting to the darkness more than the cloudiness "appearing"?

To me, it seems more like my eyes were adjusting to the darkness and the clouds are always there.. just my eyes pick it up better after a few minutes.

Anyway, with the light sensor turned on, my clouds almost disappear.
I turned up the backlight and brightness to compensate a little and it seems to be good.
I understand that it might be masking the issue but why does the light sensor 'fix' the issue?
bigorange's Avatar bigorange
01:57 PM Liked: 10
post #697 of 9118
12-04-2006 | Posts: 17
Anyone know if and how long Sony shuts down for holidays? I was told no problem solving or new stock till after the first of the year.
sweetp's Avatar sweetp
02:14 PM Liked: 10
post #698 of 9118
12-04-2006 | Posts: 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by canadiankorean View Post

I understand that it might be masking the issue but why does the light sensor 'fix' the issue?

The light sensor does not fix the issue for me. I turn it on, and it only dims down everything equally, clouds and all - Still there in proportional brightness to the rest of the screen. In other words, if the screen dimmed by 15% (just picking a number) with the light sensor on, my grey cloudy left corner also dims by 15%, but still there nonetheless.
travis.js's Avatar travis.js
02:24 PM Liked: 10
post #699 of 9118
12-04-2006 | Posts: 57
I have the cloudy affect in the upper left corner. Seems like alot of people have it in this spot as well. I purchased the TV the end of October at best buy. Don't have the manufactured date but will get it tonight. It really isn't to noticeable unless you are watching a movie with dark scenes then it is really annoying!
sweetp's Avatar sweetp
02:36 PM Liked: 10
post #700 of 9118
Ditto! Exact same thing for me. Left corner splotch on two sets, both bought at Best Buy in October, October build, from Mexico. During the day, incredible jaw dropping HD picture -flawless. During the night, you can't miss the "fog" in the left corner.
SOT23's Avatar SOT23
03:30 PM Liked: 10
post #701 of 9118
12-04-2006 | Posts: 7
Just thought I would mention, I have the 32" KDL-32S2010 and it has this issue also, but not in the corners. It is mostly in 2 locations: top center and lower, to the right of center. I have the light sensor on and it doesn't seem to make any difference. It is pretty annoying in dark scenes and between channels. I really expected better from Sony since it costs twice as much as the discount brands.

SOT23
cdg918's Avatar cdg918
05:25 PM Liked: 10
post #702 of 9118
Just setup a KDL46XBR2 from BB (October 2006 build date) and it has the clouding issue, most pronounced in the upper left/lower right corners, but visible across most of the screen.

Seattlite's pictures from a couple of days ago might as well be pictures of mine. Very similar.

Arranged a return with BB today, and we'll see how the next one looks (will take some of the advice from here and have it opened in the store).
Jmon's Avatar Jmon
05:30 PM Liked: 10
post #703 of 9118
12-04-2006 | Posts: 1
Just noticed at Sony'dot'com that they don't have the KDL46XBRs in stock due to 'demand.' I suspect they are stealthily getting rid of the defectives and will have the newly (and corrected) production run on 12/11. Worth waiting for?
25S's Avatar 25S
06:14 PM Liked: 10
post #704 of 9118
12-04-2006 | Posts: 36
Hey Guys Check out my sweet $3300 TV.........OH yeah...its a XBR2
sweetp's Avatar sweetp
06:26 PM Liked: 10
post #705 of 9118
Nice "marbeling" cloud formation. Hey, lets see what kinds of shapes we can make out of the clouds. Mine looks like a bunny! (Hey, we can at least laugh a little about it until we start seeing the new production runs).
ken6217's Avatar ken6217
06:31 PM Liked: 13
post #706 of 9118
12-04-2006 | Posts: 702
Does anyone know if the same problem exists on the XBR3's?
Ken
25S's Avatar 25S
06:33 PM Liked: 10
post #707 of 9118
This one is even better!!!
25S's Avatar 25S
06:35 PM Liked: 10
post #708 of 9118
yes some of The XBR3's have the same problem.
instantpop's Avatar instantpop
06:37 PM Liked: 10
post #709 of 9118
12-04-2006 | Posts: 2,498
Quote:
Originally Posted by ken6217 View Post

Does anyone know if the same problem exists on the XBR3's?
Ken

Yes it does. My 46 XBR3 has it.
25S's Avatar 25S
06:43 PM Liked: 10
post #710 of 9118
My XBR2 is a OCT 2006 Build with a serial # 80303XX
ken6217's Avatar ken6217
07:01 PM Liked: 13
post #711 of 9118
12-04-2006 | Posts: 702
I was ready to buy an LCD but then saw all of these posts. Can I ask you what do you see with the display turned on while watching a program? How evident is the problem. AmI better off getting the XBR3, getting the Samsung 96D or a Sharp 62?

Thanks,
Ken
cdg918's Avatar cdg918
07:49 PM Liked: 10
post #712 of 9118
And while I know that the online support staff on the Sony E-Support site are probably no more than generic call center personnel, I just asked "Alvin" if this was a known issue with the set and he returned an emphatic "No", going on to say

"We have a very good review about this TV and we do not have any issues."

I'll try the 800 number to make sure they have a record of this, and then pursue a replacement via BB. I'll give em one shot at a new set and then if that has issues, maybe it's time to hang back for a few weeks and see how the quality looks early in 07.
seattlite's Avatar seattlite
07:57 PM Liked: 10
post #713 of 9118
12-04-2006 | Posts: 393
Quote:
Originally Posted by loz View Post

Hello, first of all I would like to say that I am an owner of a Sony XBR2 46" Sony that I purchased from CC a month ago. As with many users in this thread (most of which I read), I too am a victim of the clouding effect. I certainly feel for all the users out there who are going through this ordeal. I took my first set back to Circuit City regarding the clouding effect within 3 days of purchase and exchanged it with another new one. I even had CC staff take it out of the box and plug it in to some video sources to make sure that the clouding effect was not there and I didn't notice any in the store. (I have to hand it to the CC store manager in Bellevue, WA (Don) for being very understanding. The staff also apparently knew about a "clouding issue" and they seemed empathethic.) Then with great care, and with a help of a friend, we took the new TV home and ,yes, there was the clouding issue again but not as bad. The next 3o days was a long story of more research and dilemma of whether to take this "great" TV back to the store or just bite it and stick with it.

Yesterday was my last day of the 30-day return policy. I tried a user's (kandoi??) suggestion of PLACING THE TV FACE DOWN on a flat surface for some time - and it kind of WORKED!! Well - at least it helped noticably (but didn't solve the problem completely). I was able to watch Star Wars III on a cloudy Sunday with all blinds closed and my settings at default with no visible cloudiness and no distraction.

For any users out there who would like to try this (at their own risk!), I suggest placing the TV face down on the original box, with the stand dangling at the side of the box. I left my TV like this overnight (8 hours). I took before and after pictures with a Canon G7 camera at ISO 3200 in the dark and you can see the difference with your own eyes when I post them later this evening. (I don't have the pictures with me right now).

I decided NOT to return the second set. It's just too much of a hassle (as I have to arrange for transportation) and there's no better alternative to buy right now. I was thinking of replacing it with a Samsung but apparently they are prone to the same issue. If you are a new customer who's thinking of buying a new HDTV, my recommendation would be to HOLD OFF for a year if you can until the technology is improved. All technologies available today have some sort of issue. Plasmas have burn-in, LCD's have uneven blacks, other TVs have low brightness or small viewing angles etc..

I have looked at many LCDs in the last month (not just LCD TVs, but actual LCDs) to see if they have the clouding issue. I wouldn't call it "clouding", but to some degree, all LCDs I have looked at have uneven-blacks, namely brighter closer to the light source (i.e. edges). Personally, I think the issue may have always been there but only become noticable at huge screens like the Sony. I also think that if during the delivery, the TV is let stand on it's side, the issue becomes worse. (My friend took the first TV off his SUV and put it on its side for like a minute.)

I agree with all the complaints of buyers of these TVs. Yes, a TV shouldn't be so 'touchy'. Yes, after spending thousands of dollars, you are entitled to expect much better quality - especially from an established brand. Yes, users shouldn't be made to go through this ordeal.

As for my final comments... To 'nay-sayers': this really is a big big issue that must be handled by Sony. My satisfaction with Sony has gone way down after this ordeal. If the TV wasn't such a huge beast and if there was a better alternative, I would take it back w/o regrets. How big is the issue? Well, if you watch any kind of movie with dark scenes (Matrix, Star-wars, Memento, you name it), you will be totally distracted by the brightness as if somebody was shining a lamp on the TV. It's really hard to enjoy a movie that way. To be accurate the cloudiness is much less apparent when there are brightly lit scenes (like travel shows or Shrek2) or music concerts or football games, but I've found that pretty much most shows and all movies have a dark scene. That will defitinely take your mind off of what you're watching and leave you wondering whether you made the right decision to spend so much money on a TV.

I will post the pictures tonight.

I bought my 46XBR2 at the Southcenter, Tukwila, WA Circuit City 2 weeks ago. Last week, I spoke to the manger there and brought up the "cloudy" issue. It was his first time hearing about the problem, and he mentioned that he'll have no problem exchanging the panel. I have 2 weeks left on my 30 day return, and I might just flat out return the panel. I'm now seriously looking into the Mitsubishi LT-46131. I found LT-46141 panel at a local reseller for a couple of hundred dollars below $3K. Not as aesthetically pleasing as the XBR2, but hey, the panel does look "clean".
mwalley4's Avatar mwalley4
08:18 PM Liked: 10
post #714 of 9118
12-04-2006 | Posts: 21
Is this clouding issue just with the XBR line, or is it a problem with the KDL-46V2500 Model as well? There are different video processors in the two lines. Does this have anything to do with the clouding issue?
wtfer's Avatar wtfer
08:21 PM Liked: 30
post #715 of 9118
12-04-2006 | Posts: 2,444
Quote:
Originally Posted by sauron256 View Post

Check out this article I found about the Samsung/Sony S-LCD plant venture:

Article link

Anyone see a possible correlation here? Panels made in July were perfect, but since then, they've been hit-or-miss?

Source of the problem confimred?

Quote:

Samsung and Sony's Win-Win LCD Venture

November 29, 2006

Moon Ihlwan

One is a South Korean upstart that has really only achieved premium, global-brand stature this decade; the other is a fabled Japanese consumer electronics titan. Samsung Electronics (SSNGY) and Sony (SNE) are also fierce industry rivals with killer instincts to succeed -- often at each other's expense. Still, they have pulled off one of the most interesting and fruitful collaborations in global high-tech by jointly producing liquid-crystal display [LCD] panels. And it's an alliance that is reshaping the industry.

The two companies broke ground in 2004 for the joint venture, called S-LCD, in Tangjeong, about 55 miles south of Seoul. On both sides the alliance was controversial, all the more so since Sony pulled out of a Japanese-state-backed LCD-panel development group to make it happen.

yeah they are reshaping the industry... into a steamming pile of ****
I seriously want to to punch the guy who wrote the words "win win situation"

so Sony instead of making LCD's in their quality Japanese plant, which had nearly zero defects before, they decided to make their LCD's in a cheap-o 2nd rate south of Seoul plant to save them a ton of money in labor costs & taxes.

In the end it churned out this, defective panels in a majority of all their new sets.

Whats worse is that even though they went to a cheaper overseas plant, they did NOT pass that lower cost to consumers as the XBR2/3 are the most expensive TV's out by far.
wtfer's Avatar wtfer
08:29 PM Liked: 30
post #716 of 9118
12-04-2006 | Posts: 2,444
Quote:
Originally Posted by seattlite View Post

I bought my 46XBR2 at the Southcenter, Tukwila, WA Circuit City 2 weeks ago. Last week, I spoke to the manger there and brought up the "cloudy" issue. It was his first time hearing about the problem, and he mentioned that he'll have no problem exchanging the panel. I have 2 weeks left on my 30 day return, and I might just flat out return the panel. I'm now seriously looking into the Mitsubishi LT-46131. I found LT-46141 panel at a local reseller for a couple of hundred dollars below $3K. Not as aesthetically pleasing as the XBR2, but hey, the panel does look "clean".

PLEASE do buy the Mitsubishi LT-46131, I have no heard one single defect from the few owners here.
The displays at stores I seen are perfect, unlike the Sony & Sharp displays which show their defects immediately.

In fact The Mits has no problems with anything from what I read (no overscan, perfect pixel to pixel, acceapts 1080p etc)

The only reason I haven't bought one myself is that the price is a good chunck higher then what I would pay for a 46" (I think it's retailing for $3500, too much for me unless there is a large price drop soon)

i.e. the Sony V2500 & the new Sharp 1080ps are much cheaper

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwalley4 View Post

Is this clouding issue just with the XBR line, or is it a problem with the KDL-46V2500 Model as well? There are different video processors in the two lines. Does this have anything to do with the clouding issue?

as far as I know it's only with their new brand line, I only saw one post out of 400 in the older Sony S2000 LCD thread that mentioned uneven backlighting.

the new brands: Sony XBR2, XBR3 & V2500 (including the costco model)

I'm thinking of going with the Sony 46"S2000 myself, it's nearly a year old, but haven't heard much complanints about it.
bareyb's Avatar bareyb
08:30 PM Liked: 13
post #717 of 9118
12-04-2006 | Posts: 2,238
Is this problem with the 46" displays only or is it also a problem on the 52" models?
loz's Avatar loz
09:24 PM Liked: 10
post #718 of 9118
Quote:
Originally Posted by kontai69 View Post

I've been following this issue with interest and can empathize with those who are experiencing excessive cloudiness/uneven backlight leakage with their expensive LCDs. Likewise, I am also frustrated that some people who posted in another thread just didn't understand the problem and were dismissing it by saying that it is normal because "all LCDs are like that." They certainly have no clue.

As I mentioned in a past thread, my 32" Sony LCD (model KLV32M1, made in Japan, July 2005 build date) which I bought in Sept '05 had very noticable uneven backlight leakage. It had 4 palm-sized clouds around 6" from each corner. These clouds were CLEARLY visible with regular TV/DVD programing whenever there were dark scenes or black backgrounds. For instance, it was extremely distracting to see these clouds surrounding the words "A long time ago in a galaxy far, far away..." at the very beginning of Star Wars.

Lucky for me, the problem remedied itself when I laid the set face down on a table, removed/reinstalled the back cover, and then stood it back upright. I did this out of curiosity because I wanted to see how the inside looks like. As I mentioned in the past thread, I hypothesize that this laying down may have "destressed" localized pressure points along the screen which may be causing the light patches or clouds. Just a guess.

To this day, my set still looks really good. Below is a link to a pic that I took of my screen under "extreme" conditions: the picture was taken in a completely dark room and the BACKLIGHT was at "10," which is the max setting. Other than the small patches at the upper corners, the backlight leakage/bleeding looks pretty darn uniform.

I hope you guys can get this issue resolved with Sony.

Here's the before and after pictures of my TV after I applied Kontai69's "Destressing technique". I did not unscrew anything - I just let the TV stand face down on the box overnight. As I said before, if you're going to try this, do it at your own risk.

Note that if you are looking at the pictures on a CRT monitor (not LCD), you may not be able to tell a difference since I've seen CRTs that have a real problem with brigthness settings.
ammomeister's Avatar ammomeister
10:13 PM Liked: 10
post #719 of 9118
12-04-2006 | Posts: 66
I bought a 46" XBR2 during the Black Friday sales through an online retailer. No known issues....cloudiness. So far its perfect (knock on wood), my set has a build date of September 2006.
instantpop's Avatar instantpop
10:15 PM Liked: 10
post #720 of 9118
12-04-2006 | Posts: 2,498
I don't want to burst your bubble, loz, but it'll come back. At least it did for me. Your after picture is still unacceptable in my opinion. I went through the same process of laying it down flat and while I saw an initial improvement, the clouding came back after less than 24 hours.

Whether it's an improvement or not is subjective and this type of process shouldn't be something that's associated with a high end tv like this that carries a high end sticker price with it. It's clear from the article that was posted earlier by Sauron that QA at Sony has gone to hell in a handbasket with these sets and is trying to put some sort of positive spin on it with a story like that. Bullocks, I say. I for one am not going to shut up until my unit gets replaced by a set that resembles the amount of cash I shelled out for it.

For the record, my clouding is not nearly as bad as yours, but is still unacceptable. You shouldn't be satisfied either.
Tags: Sony Bravia S Series Kdl 40s2010 40 Inch Lcd Hdtv , Sony Bravia W Series Kdl 46w5100 46 Inch Lcd Hdtv , Sony Bravia Xbr Kdl 52xbr4 52 Inch 1080p Lcd Hdtv , Lcd Hdtv

Gear in this thread - 52xbr4 by PriceGrabber.com
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Subscribe to this Thread