Official Sony Bravia LCD Uneven Backlight/Cloudy Thread - Page 26 - AVS Forum
View Poll Results: Does your Sony 46" XBR LCD suffer from an uneven backlight or cloudy background?
YES, clouds can been seen when dark colors are displayed or when switching inputs 1,294 69.05%
NO, my screen has a perfect, fully even, backlight 580 30.95%
Voters: 1874. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 

post #751 of 9118 Old 12-05-2006, 02:14 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by sauron256 View Post

Ken:

Yes, you can see the cloudiness when watching material that is dark, such as Batman Returns or any of the Aliens movies. The opening word march in Star Wars is a good example too.

People have described it aptly as being similar to someone shining a flashlight on part of the screen and others have described it as watching through a smudged screen. However, bright colorful scenes are not a problem.

Check out this post for photos.

I see what you mean. I was thinking too of the Samsung 95 or the Mitsubishis 46131. I winderr if I am still better of with the 46XBR3?
Ken
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #752 of 9118 Old 12-05-2006, 02:16 PM
25S

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by swizzir View Post

Be prepared to be disappointed. Here's what I got back from Sony Tier 2 Tech Support.

"We've just been informed that the reason for the "cloudy" issue of our TV's is this:

Sony's Bravia LCD line of televisions are among the brightest and most color rich televisions in the world. To achieve this level of performance Sony utilizes a brighter backlight output and setting. With this exceptional brightness, under certain dark viewing conditions, especially blank screens with no video source, the backlight may exhibit a slight unevenness of uniformity. This condition is not usually visible under typical conditions such as watching movies or general television programming and should not affect your viewing experience. However, should you find that this uneven uniformity does affect your enjoyment, there are a few adjustments that you can make to minimize this condition:

Setup Menu Ã* Light Sensor: ON
Setup Menu Ã* Power Saving: Low or High
Picture Menu Ã* Reduce the Backlight Level (Factory Setting: 10) Combination of the above changes

The condition is not considered defective and using the above settings should rectify the issue."

Sounds like damage control, marketing mumbo jumbo to me. Total BS.

It's Official sony has lost it........If this is "Normal" why isn't every single bravia affected by the cloudiness?

If you turn the light sensor and power saving features on the Bravia is no longer among the brightest and most color rich televisions in the world. it turns into a $1200 no name brand tv.

If my replacement is defective when I get it I'll return it and take my business elsewhere because money talks and if sony is going to sell Cr@p i'm not going to buy it!!!!
post #753 of 9118 Old 12-05-2006, 02:19 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ken6217 View Post

I see what you mean. I was thinking too of the Samsung 95 or the Mitsubishis 46131. I winderr if I am still better of with the 46XBR3?
Ken

The Samsung is the same panel, and could very well exhibit the same issue. I went through three that did before giving up.
post #754 of 9118 Old 12-05-2006, 02:23 PM

At this point I'm at a loss. I don't know who to contact now. Any lawyers out there who could advise? I can try Sony customer support again but I doubt that will be of any help. I replied to the e-mail with this:

"Thanks for getting this info for me [name deleted]. I have to say I find that explanation from Sony to be totally unacceptable and I can tell you a lot of Sony customers are going to feel the same way. I know you really don't have anything to do with the official statement from Sony on the issue but are you able to refer me to anyone at Sony that I can contact regarding this issue? A name and/or phone number would be great. Thanks you very much for sticking with this."

We'll see where it goes from here.
post #755 of 9118 Old 12-05-2006, 02:29 PM

I also had a nice exchange with David Karzmaier from CNET. He does electronics reviews and wrote a review for a JVC LT-46FN97 in the December issue of Sound & Vision Magazine.

Here's the exchange. It'll be kind of long so bear with me:
--------------------------------------------------------------------
Dear Mr. Katzmaier,

I assume you're the David Katzmaier I'm trying to contact. If you're not please accept my apologies. If you are then here goes...

I recently read your review of the JVC LT-46FN97 in the December 2006 issue of Sound & Vision magazine. One of the minuses in the your review that caught my eye was the "uneven uniformity in dark areas." I own and Sony KDL-46XBR2. I'm not sure if the model JVC in your review uses the same LCD panel as the 46XBR2 but myself and a growing number of 46XBR2 owners are experiencing horrible backlight uniformity problems. The problem does not seem to be isolated to the XBR2's either. Reports of Samsung LCD's having the same problem have popped up. I believe the 46XBR2 uses the same LCD panel the 46" Samsung does and Samsung is in fact the manufacture of the panel hence my curiosity as to wether the JVC your reviewed uses the Samsung panel and has the severity of problems we're having with the 46XBR2's.

A little research has turned up this definition of the defect:

Mura: The Japanese word for blemish has been widely
adopted by the display industry to describe almost all
irregular luminosity variation defects in liquid crystal displays.
Mura defects are caused by process flaws usually related to
cell assembly, which affect the transmission of light through
the display. The cyclical nature, randomness, and often, low
contrast of mura makes accurate detection and classification
extremely difficult for LCD manufacturers.

While I've read that a certain amount of uneven backlight occurs in LCD's I feel that what If you're interested there's a growing thread at AV Science Forum (http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=748779) regarding our issue. Many users, including myself, have posted pictures of our sets showcasing the Mura defect. As someone that reviews technology items for a living I'm curious as to what your take on the issue is. I hope you're able to take a look at the thread. Thanks for your time.
Hi Michael,

I'm well aware of the issue, although the word Mura is a new one for me. I've been writing about it in CNET reviews for the last year, and invariably note whether a certain LCD displays relatively good or bad uniformity across the screen.

Unfortunately, as I'm sure you know, this issue varies widely from sample to sample. The particular LCD I review might display nearly perfect uniformity (and indeed the 46XBR2 that Kevin Miller reviewed for CNET was one of these) whereas other examples of the same model might have large blotches, discolorations, bright areas, etc. Since I only review one sample at a time, there's no way for me to address this issue aside from mentioning the performance of my particular display in the review and moving on. If you're asking whether I've noticed any systematic issue with any particular brand or model, the answer is no for the same reason. As far as I've seen this issue pops up on all brands of LCDs I've reviewed, and I can't point to any particular one. The exception is the Sharp LC-46D62U I reviewed, but that backlight uniformity issue was definitely unusual.

My take? Personally I would never buy an LCD without seeing it in person first and making sure the uniformity of the unit I was buying was good. If I got one with horrible uniformity I would certainly return it.

I know this isn't what you were looking for in terms of a reply, but it's all I got.

Thanks,

David
David,

Thanks for getting back to me. I'm trying to get a clear picture of what a reviewer would consider uneven backlighting. I've attached a picture from the thread on AVS Forum of what I consider to be a horrible looking set and a picture of the replacement set Sony sent me. I'm really curious as to wether or not this is what you consider uneven backlight and is similar to what you saw on the JVC set you reviewed. If for some reason the attachments don't come through here's a direct link to the posts:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...&&#post9075814

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...&&#post8982537

In regards to professional reviews do companies hand pick products to send to reviewers? That is, do you think that someone at a company would maybe turn on 10 sets and send out the best looking one for review or do you receive a set off the line that could have as much chance at having a defect as someone walking into a store and buying one would? I appreciate you taking out the time to reply. It's very helpful in trying to identify if this is a quality control problem or just something that's inherently wrong with LCD's.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Hi Michael,

Yeah, that's pretty bad. Before I called it horrible I would have to see it with program material, like a star field in space for example, but that's worse than I've seen on any LCD recently, if memory serves. The second picture seems much lighter BTW, which would cause the mottled effect to be less-obvious (but maybe it's just the angle - pics are difficult to rely on for these kinds of things). The JVC certainly wasn't as bad as that.

In general, I don't see that kind of mottled look as much as I see a certain region, most often a corner, brighter than another. Occasionally there will be more than one such reason, but rarely the kind of spotted effect on your TV.

To answer your second question, I assume off the bat that any TV (or other product) sent me by any manuf is hand-picked, if not tweaked in the service menu, before being sent to a reviewer like me. Numerous manufs have admitted as much off the record, and I personally know a couple of the people who are responsible for doing said quality control on certain manuf's review samples. That's a good and a bad thing for me. A bad thing because the chances are high that any random TV sold in the field will exhibit worse performance characteristics than the one I reviewed; and a good thing because, if I notice a flaw in a review sample sent my way (and I do all the time, and they get written up), I can be reasonably certain that the issue I notice is endemic to all of the displays out in the field, and thus confident in my criticisms. That said, there have been numerous occasions where I discover something, call the manuf on it, and have them scramble to replace the sample they sent, claiming it was flawed in some way and somehow worse than the ones in the field.

In case you're wondering, CNET does not purchase review samples in stores (although I have advocated it strenuously), and even if we did, there's no way to disprove that we somehow got a bad egg. That's why sites like AVS are great, because they can tally the experiences of numerous people with real-world samples.

Hope this helps,

David
------------------------------------------------------------------
Ask and you shall receive. See the attached photo from the opening sequence of Star Wars (http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...&&#post8937953) a user posted. As I was typing this I also got an e-mail reply from Sony Tier 2 Tech Support which looks like an official statement from Sony on the issue.
Hi Michael,

Yeah, that's bad. Worse than I've seen in a long time. Again, it certainly varies from sample to sample, and I didn't see it on the XBR2's I've tested. I'm glad the replacement looks better.

David

There you have it.
post #756 of 9118 Old 12-05-2006, 02:29 PM
25S

Quote:

At this point I'm at a loss. I don't know who to contact now. Any lawyers out there who could advise? I can try Sony customer support again but I doubt that will be of any help. I replied to the e-mail with this:

"Thanks for getting this info for me [name deleted]. I have to say I find that explanation from Sony to be totally unacceptable and I can tell you a lot of Sony customers are going to feel the same way. I know you really don't have anything to do with the official statement from Sony on the issue but are you able to refer me to anyone at Sony that I can contact regarding this issue? A name and/or phone number would be great. Thanks you very much for sticking with this."

We'll see where it goes from here.

Swizzir if your looking to take legal action count me in. I didn't pay $3300 for this crap
post #757 of 9118 Old 12-05-2006, 02:37 PM
Advanced Member

I do normally like Dave's reviews, but this line leads me to believe he too is thinking of this as the same as backlight leakage, which this is certainly not:

"In general, I don't see that kind of mottled look as much as I see a certain region, most often a corner, brighter than another."

If one corner is brighter, yes, that's just a backlight leakage issue and can be found to one degree or another on nearly any LCD computer monitor made today. This cloudiness is something else entirely.
post #758 of 9118 Old 12-05-2006, 02:39 PM

Like it or not, the best thing everyone could do is take their XBR2/3 back, if possible. That would send a message to Sony. And then I would email and snail mail anyone I could at Sony Corp. That email swizzir got back from tech support is very telling of how Sony will handle this problem. I am totally disgusted.
post #759 of 9118 Old 12-05-2006, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 25S View Post

Swizzir if your looking to take legal action count me in. I didn't pay $3300 for this crap

I don't know what legal recourse we'd have. That's why I'm wondering if there's a lawyer near by. I can't afford legal counsel after buying this TV.
post #760 of 9118 Old 12-05-2006, 02:57 PM

More saga. Reply from Sony Tier 2 again:
------------------------------------------------
You can send a letter to:

Sony Electronics Inc. (USA) -
Customer Support (CISC)
12451 Gateway Boulevard
Fort Myers FL 33913

You can specify c/o National Customer Relations or Sir Howard Stringer.

Write a letter? What is this? 1993?
post #761 of 9118 Old 12-05-2006, 03:03 PM

Nice work on the correspondence, swizzir. WRT the sony tech response, I received the same reply today, almost verbatim, from the level 2 support I spoke w/ at Sony. I echo the same sentiments as other posters: if it was inherent in the technology we wouldn't see so many sets (~35-40%) without the problem. And, if I have to turn the settings down so the picture is so dark, I might just have well purchased any-old-brand at far fewer $$. My sense from talking w/ the sony rep that it is now a well-known problem to Sony and affects only a certain batch of 46" displays - i.e., JUST what we are all seeing here.
post #762 of 9118 Old 12-05-2006, 03:04 PM

Just voted in regards to my S2010. There is a slight ammount of splotchiness in the backlight, but honestly in anything but a pure black screen I don't notice it. It is so slight I really have to focus to pick it up out of an all black screen. I would call it perfect, but like I said with enough focusing I can pick it up. Nothing I would ever notice in my normal use, I'm more than happy with this purchase.
post #763 of 9118 Old 12-05-2006, 03:16 PM
25S

Quote:

More saga. Reply from Sony Tier 2 again:
You can send a letter to:

Sony Electronics Inc. (USA) -
Customer Support (CISC)
12451 Gateway Boulevard
Fort Myers FL 33913

You can specify c/o National Customer Relations or Sir Howard Stringer.

Write a letter? What is this? 1993?

Ft Meyers, FL........... that's just down the road from me Maybe I should take my set to them and let them tell me to my face that it's normal!!!
post #764 of 9118 Old 12-05-2006, 03:17 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zswman View Post

Nice work on the correspondence, swizzir. WRT the sony tech response, I received the same reply today, almost verbatim, from the level 2 support I spoke w/ at Sony. I echo the same sentiments as other posters: if it was inherent in the technology we wouldn't see so many sets (~35-40%) without the problem. And, if I have to turn the settings down so the picture is so dark, I might just have well purchased any-old-brand at far fewer $$. My sense from talking w/ the sony rep that it is now a well-known problem to Sony and affects only a certain batch of 46" displays - i.e., JUST what we are all seeing here.

I realize this is the 46" thread, but this effects the 52" models as well.
post #765 of 9118 Old 12-05-2006, 03:19 PM

Quote:

WRT the sony tech response, I received the same reply today, almost verbatim, from the level 2 support I spoke w/ at Sony.

Was it over the phone or via e-mail you received the response from Sony? If it was e-mail can you post it here? Sounds like the official statement has made its way to the front line and that's what they'll be telling customers calling in about the issue.
post #766 of 9118 Old 12-05-2006, 03:20 PM

Quote:

Ft Meyers, FL........... that's just down the road from me Maybe I should take my set to them and let them tell me to my face that it's normal!!!

You'd be my hero.
post #767 of 9118 Old 12-05-2006, 03:23 PM
25S

here's a phone number to go with that address.
Sony Direct Response Center
12451 Gateway Boulevard, Fort Myers, FL 33913
(239) 561-7669
post #768 of 9118 Old 12-05-2006, 03:29 PM

Quote:

here's a phone number to go with that address.
Sony Direct Response Center
12451 Gateway Boulevard, Fort Myers, FL 33913
(239) 561-7669

Ahh sweet. I'll be calling after work but I'm afraid it'll be too late since I'm on the west coast. Can anyone on the east coast call and post about their experience?
post #769 of 9118 Old 12-05-2006, 03:34 PM
25S

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmeader View Post

I realize this is the 46" thread, but this effects the 52" models as well.

WOW......I feel bad having spent what I did on the 46" and getting a cloudy set. I can only Imagine how you feel with your 52".
post #770 of 9118 Old 12-05-2006, 03:37 PM

I'll be fair to Sony they've put together a stunning package. I love my 40 XBR2. Most certainly one of the best pictures I've seen on an LCD. In every other regard this is great TV.

But this a real issue and wide spread enough to warrant a concerted effort to appease customers whom have shown great faith and patience.
(Replacing a product 2 & 3 times is unquestionably unwavering dedication)

I have so called "cloudy" back light issue and will be rolling the dice with an exchange hopefully this week. (My store is out of stock)
When I spoke to first round support on this they advised me to exchange the unit purchased on November 17th for a new one.
So which is it feature or bug?
If we ALL don't have cloudy displays then I'd say bug.
post #771 of 9118 Old 12-05-2006, 03:48 PM
25S

Quote:

Ahh sweet. I'll be calling after work but I'm afraid it'll be too late since I'm on the west coast. Can anyone on the east coast call and post about their experience?

I'm on the phone now
post #772 of 9118 Old 12-05-2006, 03:50 PM

Quote:

I'm on the phone now

Give em what for. See if you can get someone to allow you to e-mail pictures of problematic sets. I've collected a bevy of pictures. If you can, get a name and direct number of someone specifically to call. I'd love to talk to the same guy you do.

25S is the (I assume ) man.
post #773 of 9118 Old 12-05-2006, 03:59 PM

Quote:

Was it over the phone or via e-mail you received the response from Sony? If it was e-mail can you post it here? Sounds like the official statement has made its way to the front line and that's what they'll be telling customers calling in about the issue.

Over the phone, but I got the distinct impression it was from prepared text.
post #774 of 9118 Old 12-05-2006, 04:09 PM

Quote:

Over the phone, but I got the distinct impression it was from prepared text.

grrrrrrrrrr. Now I'm just fuming and it's bringing me down man. Way to ruin Christmas Sony.
post #775 of 9118 Old 12-05-2006, 04:14 PM

Well... That does it for me !

I was going to buy the XBR3 for the family for Christmas... but not now.

It was between a Panny Plasma or the XBR and I had finally convinced myself that the Sony LCD XBR was the way to go.

But after reading the response from Sony about this very obvious "DEFECT"... I will NEVER buy a SONY Television.... PERIOD !!!!

It is the same kind of answer that Sony had for the infamous "Green Blob" on their SXRD sets.

"Not a defect".... HA... what a joke !

Tim
post #776 of 9118 Old 12-05-2006, 04:16 PM

Got my XBR2 46" this Sunday. Didn't notice the issue until last night playing Prey on 360. It drove me NUTS! And then with King King HD-DVD it's all I could see in the dark scenes.

I've read every posting on this thread and I must say I'm really upset.

I just packed my set up and am off to CC for an exchange. I don't have high expectations but I really love this set and still think it's the best PQ out there.

BTW, I did call Sony and got "the treatment". I wasn't nasty but I did cut the guy off several times telling him to save his breath... and all I wanted was to file the problem.

I provide an update on the new set tomorrow.

W in Denver
post #777 of 9118 Old 12-05-2006, 04:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pratzert View Post

Well... That does it for me !

I was going to buy the XBR3 for the family for Christmas... but not now.

It was between a Panny Plasma or the XBR and I had finally convinced myself that the Sony LCD XBR was the way to go.

But after reading the response from Sony about this very obvious "DEFECT"... I will NEVER buy a SONY Television.... PERIOD !!!!

It is the same kind of answer that Sony had for the infamous "Green Blob" on their SXRD sets.

"Not a defect".... HA... what a joke !

Tim

Can you call Sony Direct Response Center @ (239) 561-7669 and read them your post? I think it speaks volumes as to how this issue is going to affect their sales.
post #778 of 9118 Old 12-05-2006, 04:23 PM

I found a display model at my local Circuit City, Manufaturing Date July '06. Lighting was a bit bright, but it seemed like the panel was free from any clouds. I didn't test for dead pixels though. Salesperson said it would be OK for me to exchange it for the floor model. Should I do it?
post #779 of 9118 Old 12-05-2006, 04:25 PM

Tweeter are getting a new shipment in this week, hopefully the issue has been resolved, I'm gonna roll the dice and get one, they said that they would hook the TV up and I can check it out for myself. I will post back later with the results.
post #780 of 9118 Old 12-05-2006, 04:26 PM

Quote:

Can you call Sony Direct Response Center @ (239) 561-7669 and read them your post? I think it speaks volumes as to how this issue is going to affect their sales.

Swizzir,

How about I send them the "quote" via email so they have it in black & white ?

Do you have an email address to some of the more inmportant "higher-ups" ?

How about that tech you were talking too? Do you have an email for him ?

Tim
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Sony Bravia S Series Kdl 40s2010 40 Inch Lcd Hdtv , Sony Bravia W Series Kdl 46w5100 46 Inch Lcd Hdtv , Sony Bravia Xbr Kdl 52xbr4 52 Inch 1080p Lcd Hdtv , Lcd Hdtv
Gear in this thread - 52xbr4 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page