Official Sony Bravia LCD Uneven Backlight/Cloudy Thread - Page 301 - AVS Forum
View Poll Results: Does your Sony 46" XBR LCD suffer from an uneven backlight or cloudy background?
YES, clouds can been seen when dark colors are displayed or when switching inputs 1,294 69.05%
NO, my screen has a perfect, fully even, backlight 580 30.95%
Voters: 1874. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 

post #9001 of 9118 Old 03-11-2009, 05:30 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by MtlRichard View Post

I just got a serie 46 Z Sony which was made in november and I have a large spot just below the center of the screen. When I sit straight in front of the set I get no problem but at more than 30 degreeds on either side the spot apears.

I've read on an other thread that the problem was vanishing with time, it is true?

Thanks

Richard

At least with mine, it did vanish with time, I have minor clouding now, was a lot worse before, just by using the tv, for about 4 months, its normal now, still minor, but you have to know its there to even see it at all. my tv is great, its a 46v4100, and it is the best tv I have ever owned, first tv too, as im 17, lol
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #9002 of 9118 Old 03-11-2009, 08:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
32xbr6 jan 09 build

perfect backlight no flashlights or clouding I keep my backlight setting on 3 and power save on low and my screen is cool to the touch everwhere but the top and the top is just warm hopefully it stays this way

If you're a gamer or interested in using an LCD TV as a primary monitor take a look at my thread on Input Lag
post #9003 of 9118 Old 03-18-2009, 07:57 PM

You edited this post
Rick L says:
I have a older model 46XBR2 and noticed the "clouds" when the TV is on and no video or picture on the screen. This seems to be due to imbalanced or excessive backlighting. This adversely affects black levels. I found a way to adjust the settings to dramatically reduce this, at least on my LCD's. I also have a Sony 40XBR2 that had slight backlight leakage around the screen edges. The following are my settings: Scroll down . Set the backlight to 5-7. Brightness to 48-50. Turn light sensor on . This will adjust the backlighting to match the general light ambience in the room. These steps should eliminate or greatly reduce clouding and improve contrast and black levels. If you are in "custom" mode in the picture settings, you can scroll down to advanced settings. Set black corrector to medium. . If clouding still persists, turn power saving on to low or medium. This will increase black levels by reducing backlighting even further, sometimes too much. In that case keep power saving on and turn the light sensor off to slightly incease backlighting. You can go back and forth tweaking the light sensor,power saving, brightness, backlight settings, and black corrector in the custom mode until the clouding disappears.
post #9004 of 9118 Old 04-14-2009, 08:48 AM

Sony has authorized the panel on my 52XBR6 to be replaced because of the clouds and flashlighting. Could this solve the problem? Also, they have to take my tv to their repair center since it is larger than a 46" and I am concerned about it coming back dinged up. What have people's experiences been having the panel replaced?
post #9005 of 9118 Old 04-16-2009, 08:44 AM

Hi everybody!
This is a great thread and I've read it a lot and found quite a number of useful information for me.

Just want to share my situation here:
A week ago I bought 40X4500 or XBR8.
I have two major issues with it:
1. Rainbowing
2. Flashlights from up right and left corners. They appear after 30-40min of watching the set, when it's warmed up I guess.

So, regarding point 1 - I think I managed to completely eliminate this issue by setting backlight to maximum.
As for point 2 I've read a lot, but haven't tried anything yet.

As for removing back panel and loosening screws - my warranty hasn't expired yet, so I'm afraid to occasionally damage the unit while unscrewing.

I would like to khow has anyone actually tried the wiping over the flashlight technique (BTW, should the set be on or off??) or cooling from above with airblower of fans?

Will much appreciate your answers!!!!
post #9006 of 9118 Old 07-27-2009, 07:38 AM

Curious, do the new models in the stores still have backlight problems or not ? ? ? ? Sony has had plenty of time to fix this by now.

Is is safe to assume the LED backlight models dont have the problem or do they too ? ? ?

J C OConnell
Sony Fan
post #9007 of 9118 Old 07-27-2009, 07:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcoconnell View Post

Curious, do the new models in the stores still have backlight problems or not ? ? ? ? Sony has had plenty of time to fix this by now.

Is is safe to assume the LED backlight models dont have the problem or do they too ? ? ?

I don't think Sony ever really "fixed" it. They masked the problem by setting the maximum backlight brightness which cannot be set over that limit by the user.

So you can't turn up the backlight so much that the flashlights are visible.

But the downside to that is that the picture is not as bright and impressive as it could be either.
post #9008 of 9118 Old 07-31-2009, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcoconnell View Post

I just took delivery of KDL-46Z5100 two days ago. Note that this one is a standard CCFL backlight, not LED. I managed to hook up the TV to my set top box last night and immediately noticed some major clouding. This was seen on the top and bottom corners and a significant patch around the middle of the LCD. This uneven backlighting / clouding is almost identical to the pictures seen elsewhere on this thread, other forums online, and even on YouTube. See the URL watch?v=ZZ5O8TR1oxU

The worst part is that I discovered this by accident. I didn't even realize there was such a huge thread on this issue. I was switching between channels when one of them had no signal. At first I thought it was just a random thing. So I tried swapping to other channels that had no feed but the clouds remained. Then when I started watching the regular programming and if there happened to be a dark scene, I wouldn't even have to go searching for the clouds to see if they were there. The problem - sadly using the metaphor - was clear as daylight

I was pretty mad and called Sony Support today. The guy asked me the standard questions; asked me to describe the problem; how/when I noticed it; what I had tried to fix, etc. What I'm describing below is what I tried using two types of cables: HDMI and regular component video cables.

**Note**
I'm not at home as I write this. So I can't recall whether these settings has numbers associated with them or if they had low/med/high options as such.

1. Changed backlight levels to low, medium and high ranges.
2. Changed the light sensor function to ON and OFF.
3. Changed the brightness levels to low, medium and high ranges.

I tried changing a few other settings as well, but I can't exactly recall what they were. But overall, none of them worked.

The support rep asked me install the latest firmware update "aa0089pn" available at
esupport.sony > TV & Home Entertainment > Televisions > LCD
Under "Support by type" > Drivers & Software > [Enter Model]

He also told me to go to the Repairs & Status page and request an in-home inspection by an authorized Sony Service Center.

I'll try to post some images of the issue later tonight and I'll also let you know how the servicing goes.

I bought this TV because they support S video and also don't have the irritating reflective screens on the Samsungs. Now I'm a little disappointed. I did see the lastest A-series and B-series of Samsungs being subject to the same cloud problems when I googled this.

I'm extremely frustrated right on the second day of owning this TV. I really hope Sony fixes this real soon.

<<>>
The above post was NOT intended to sound as if the Z Series has been having these problems since 2006. It was brought to my attention that some forum users might so extrapolate. So I repeat: What I'm experiencing may simply be a one-off occurrence. The Bravia Z Series is a relatively new lineup and there aren't similar complaints that I'm aware of that could indicate a recurrence of the cloud problem. My post was not aimed at spreading FUD.
post #9009 of 9118 Old 07-31-2009, 03:38 PM

^^ when u get home set ur backlight to min, light sensor to on & power saving on Low or High, calibrate the tv using avia or dve essensials,
all these settings should make a difference to the overall clouding, one more thing many sets had major clouding when new but vanished abit after a while of using, hope all this helps,

cheers..
post #9010 of 9118 Old 08-01-2009, 02:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by s_id View Post
I just took delivery of KDL-46Z5100 two days ago. Note that this one is a standard CCFL backlight, not LED. I managed to hook up the TV to my set top box last night and immediately noticed some major clouding. ... ...

... The Bravia Z Series is a relatively new lineup and there aren't similar complaints that I'm aware of that could indicate a recurrence of the cloud problem. My post was not aimed at spreading FUD.
Here are the pictures I took last night.

kdl-46z5100_clouds.zip 341.0576171875k . file
post #9011 of 9118 Old 08-01-2009, 04:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by s_id View Post

Here are the pictures I took last night.

is the backlight set on high?? are teh contrast & brightness settings high???
post #9012 of 9118 Old 08-02-2009, 08:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by insane79 View Post

is the backlight set on high?? are teh contrast & brightness settings high???

No, they're at the factory default levels when I took the shots. I didn't have to change those settings because the default settings seemed to be perfectly suited to my living room environment. But yes, I did try changing the settings to see if the problem got better or worse. The clouds are quite obvious at alomost all settings, except when the brightness is at max since at that level, the entire TV looks uniformly washed out in white.
post #9013 of 9118 Old 08-02-2009, 10:18 AM

^^ give it few days to see if the clouding starts to dissappear, if not give a call to sony to send their guy to check the Set, the clouding should become less after usage, have u spoken to sony about it??
post #9014 of 9118 Old 08-09-2009, 08:25 AM

Son of a B.

40v4100, flashlights in top corners.
replacement unit arrived, similar, and also the tuner doesn't tune in digital. Sony will call on Monday.

does anyone know how to check firmware levels?

my original unit has deep blue splash screen on no signal inputs.
this replacement has pinkish rust color screens.
this replacement unit also turns on weirdly. the backlight turns on in stages, from right to left. i don't like that either.

thanks for any input.
post #9015 of 9118 Old 08-09-2009, 08:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by omnitone View Post

Son of a B.

40v4100, flashlights in top corners.
replacement unit arrived, similar, and also the tuner doesn't tune in digital. Sony will call on Monday.

does anyone know how to check firmware levels?

my original unit has deep blue splash screen on no signal inputs.
this replacement has pinkish rust color screens.
this replacement unit also turns on weirdly. the backlight turns on in stages, from right to left. i don't like that either.

thanks for any input.

replace the unit if still under warranty
post #9016 of 9118 Old 08-09-2009, 08:55 AM

I suppose so. i'll keep having them send me replacements, until i get one that works properly.

you know whats funny/sad? i worked for sony broadcast for 15 years. back then we were kings. our products were the best and our service was even better.

now? more like the court jester.

any one have Sir Howard Stringers email address?
post #9017 of 9118 Old 08-14-2009, 03:53 PM

returned to Fry's.com

too bad, as this was a smoking good deal.

but i can wait till the next one.

i guess i'll wait and see how LED backlight works out.
post #9018 of 9118 Old 08-22-2009, 12:35 PM

Liked: 11
I too picked up a 40v5100 from fry's and had bleeding issues (mainly from the upper left). I returned the first tv and now the second set has the same problem... I really can't believe Sony has continued to produce sets that have this problem. I'm going to try tweaking with Avia to see if that helps :/

post #9019 of 9118 Old 09-02-2009, 08:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocZZZZ View Post

I too picked up a 40v5100 from fry's and had bleeding issues (mainly from the upper left). I returned the first tv and now the second set has the same problem... I really can't believe Sony has continued to produce sets that have this problem. I'm going to try tweaking with Avia to see if that helps :/

I received my 40v5100 about a week ago and this is what it looks like on black screens:

This is the first place I've seen where people are talking in-depth about it and post pictures. It definitely looks like it is not quite as bad as some others posted, but I'm curious whether others could tell me how "bad" this is for this model of TV.

I'm going to go back to making my way through this thread to see what info I can find.
post #9020 of 9118 Old 09-04-2009, 04:37 PM

I bought a sony 40V Bravia some 10 months ago. Over the past few months i started noticing what looked like a dirty mark in the middle of the screen which wouldnt come off after cleaning with the Sony approved screen cleaner.

I just left it for a few weeks then i noticed that the mark was getting bigger and more noticeable. I then googled the problem and was amazed to stumble upon this forum. I adjusted the screen as recomended on this site but it affected the quality of the picture. i then contacted my local Sony dealer where i purchased the TV and they came out to have a look at it.

After the Sony technician mucked about with the settings with no improvement he then went to make a phone call. On his return i showed him this forum which clearly shows that theres a problem with the product, he was amazed.

I then told the technician that if he had bought a car with a fault in the paintwork (fadeing) and the car dealer said that if you drove about with a dirty car you couldnt notice the embelishment would you be happy to accept this.

The technician then told me that he would have to take my tv to the workshop for further investigation. Hes coming back next week with a replacement set meantime.

Just another issue that ive had with the tv, on 3 seperate occasions my tv has had a split screen where the right hand side was completely blank with the other half was showing only 50% of the picture.

I got a 5 year warranty when i purchased the tv.
post #9021 of 9118 Old 09-04-2009, 10:40 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by meatmeat View Post

I received my 40v5100 about a week ago and this is what it looks like on black screens:

This is the first place I've seen where people are talking in-depth about it and post pictures. It definitely looks like it is not quite as bad as some others posted, but I'm curious whether others could tell me how "bad" this is for this model of TV.

I'm going to go back to making my way through this thread to see what info I can find.

It's nothing. Stop looking at a blank screen and enjoy your TV.
post #9022 of 9118 Old 09-04-2009, 10:42 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by omnitone View Post

I suppose so. i'll keep having them send me replacements, until i get one that works properly.

you know whats funny/sad? i worked for sony broadcast for 15 years. back then we were kings. our products were the best and our service was even better.

now? more like the court jester.

any one have Sir Howard Stringers email address?

They'll cut you off and mark you as a weirdo after a couple or few times. They lose time and money for every return. This kind of complaint is very subjective.
post #9023 of 9118 Old 09-06-2009, 04:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alettiere View Post

Well, I guess this is the appropriate thread to voice my issues, even though I'm absolutely disgusted about what myself and everyone else seems to continually be putting up with in terms of the never ending flashlight and cloud issues.

I can understand your frustration. In over 30 years of buying TVs (CRT direct view, CRT projector, LCD rear projection, plasma, LCD) I've found that there is always some compromise to be made, whether its geometry issues, screen glare, fan noise, uneven color, dead pixels, or a host other issues. No set is perfect. Its sad but true.

The clouding/flashlighting issues on LCDs are indeed unfortunate, but, I think, mostly unavoidable. I have a new LCD scheduled for delivery next Wednesday, a Sony 52Z5100. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that the one I get has minimal problems.

Our audio/video hobby is somewhat of a curse. We all know too much about the various problems and compromises associated with the equipment. I often have to remind myself that what I watch on my TV is really the important thing.

I do sometimes long for the old days when I wasn't so well informed about electronics and just enjoyed watching "Barney Miller" and "The Mary Tyler Moore Show" on my trusty 19 inch Sears color TV.
post #9024 of 9118 Old 09-11-2009, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevie89 View Post

I bought a sony 40V Bravia some 10 months ago. Over the past few months i started noticing what looked like a dirty mark in the middle of the screen which wouldnt come off after cleaning with the Sony approved screen cleaner.

I just left it for a few weeks then i noticed that the mark was getting bigger and more noticeable. I then googled the problem and was amazed to stumble upon this forum. I adjusted the screen as recomended on this site but it affected the quality of the picture. i then contacted my local Sony dealer where i purchased the TV and they came out to have a look at it.

After the Sony technician mucked about with the settings with no improvement he then went to make a phone call. On his return i showed him this forum which clearly shows that theres a problem with the product, he was amazed.

I then told the technician that if he had bought a car with a fault in the paintwork (fadeing) and the car dealer said that if you drove about with a dirty car you couldnt notice the embelishment would you be happy to accept this.

The technician then told me that he would have to take my tv to the workshop for further investigation. Hes coming back next week with a replacement set meantime.

Just another issue that ive had with the tv, on 3 seperate occasions my tv has had a split screen where the right hand side was completely blank with the other half was showing only 50% of the picture.

I got a 5 year warranty when i purchased the tv.

Just a quick update; Ive just had a phone call from my local Sony Dealership, they have informed me that my TVs full LCD panel screen is to be replaced due to the clouding issue on the screen. The dealership are waiting on the part arriving from Sony then my TV will be cloud free (hopefully)
post #9025 of 9118 Old 09-11-2009, 11:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevie89 View Post

Just a quick update; Ive just had a phone call from my local Sony Dealership, they have informed me that my TVs full LCD panel screen is to be replaced due to the clouding issue on the screen. The dealership are waiting on the part arriving from Sony then my TV will be cloud free (hopefully)

Don't hold your breath..........
post #9026 of 9118 Old 09-12-2009, 05:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by schlick View Post

Don't hold your breath..........

Has anyone had the LCD panel replaced before and if so how successful was it by eliminating the clouding issue?
post #9027 of 9118 Old 09-18-2009, 06:02 PM

Sony Bravia
M# KDL-32L4000
MFG March 2008
Defected May 2009

Problem: Vertical line on top appeared first, then everything below that line has discoloration and jitters. The discoloration goes away after about 2 hrs but the vertical line is still there and the jitters come and go below that line.

Contacted Sony on the date of occurrence May 2009. They were not willing to repair the unit at their expense and quote "had no known issues or defects"

I contacted the BBB and sent the unit in for repair cost.
The screen will be $800 plus labor.

I declined the repair and paid the bench test cost. I have not gotten a reply from Sony through the BBB as of date.
However the BBB contacted me today through E-mail stating that they will continue to contact Sony Corporation on my behalf.

When Sony contacts us we will be asking for a replacement, Credit toward a new one, repair at their expense, refund, and a credit for the bench test done at their dealer service center.

We paid roughly $900 for the TV that lasted 1 year and two months. That is the source of my frustration at the time.

With some electronic back ground, my believe is the problem may not be the LCD screen it's self rather a Analog/Digital digital conversion module that represents the image to the LCD pixel. This is a least my situation, especially where the picture gets clearer after 2 hrs time which makes me believe it is a result of cheap and or faulty IC electronic components manufactured with low tolerances.

By the way Sony and Samsung built this expensive paper weight. Customers and Sony Corporation have been warned on all retail sites where Sony is selling or the Customer's may still be able to purchase this unit. Caveat Emptor. Get a service plan before you buy.
post #9028 of 9118 Old 09-19-2009, 02:33 AM

Liked: 11
I’ve been observing this site (and others) for several years now and reading the many posts about picture issues on LCD displays. I go back about 35 years in the television display market and it amazes me to see what complaints are posted regarding the new LCD display panels.

LCD technology alone has progressed over the last 5 years to produce some rather stunning picture quality. Just take a look at the pictures generated just 5 years ago. Take a look at what was generated 10 years ago when CRT was the mainstay with geometry, beam landing and registration issues. Television has come a long way.

One of the main problems with LCD technology is cutting off as much of the backlighting as possible during dark scenes while still retaining a crisp, bright picture. This has been greatly improved over the last couple of years but it is not perfect. It does not matter who designs and manufactures the panel. The more you try to expand the light to dark output of the panel, the more you are exposing the viewer to uneven brightness at low luminance levels.

Anyone critiquing an LCD display panel by inputting low IRE signal levels to look for “light leakage” at these levels is going to be disappointed. The others who put a high quality video signal in are going to enjoy the superior video quality that most of the new generation panels are capable of generating. I would love to take all of these critical people and send them back 15 years to spend 48 hours of watching what was available back then. I am fairly confident that they would fully appreciate what we have now.

I plan on dropping in on occasion to share some of what I have witnessed over the last 35 years along with what I currently experience with the new advances in display technologies. I will attempt to remain as objective as I can. These new display devices are awesome compared to what I have experienced in the past and they are only going to get better.

Those who think they know everything annoy those of us who do.
post #9029 of 9118 Old 09-19-2009, 05:32 AM

Are clouds still an issue on the XBR8?
post #9030 of 9118 Old 09-19-2009, 09:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Only if you look up to the sky.
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Sony Bravia S Series Kdl 40s2010 40 Inch Lcd Hdtv , Sony Bravia W Series Kdl 46w5100 46 Inch Lcd Hdtv , Sony Bravia Xbr Kdl 52xbr4 52 Inch 1080p Lcd Hdtv , Lcd Hdtv
Gear in this thread - 52xbr4 by PriceGrabber.com