Official Sony Bravia LCD Uneven Backlight/Cloudy Thread - Page 302 - AVS Forum
View Poll Results: Does your Sony 46" XBR LCD suffer from an uneven backlight or cloudy background?
YES, clouds can been seen when dark colors are displayed or when switching inputs 1,294 69.05%
NO, my screen has a perfect, fully even, backlight 580 30.95%
Voters: 1874. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 

post #9031 of 9118 Old 09-19-2009, 08:30 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJHXBR View Post

Only if you look up to the sky.

Seriously I am asking because my XBR2 who just died had this cloud problem, not as bad as some other people but it was there just not bad enough to actually bother me. But I'd like to know if by now they finally managed to get this problem under control with the XBR8?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #9032 of 9118 Old 09-19-2009, 09:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
All you have to do is read the XBR8 thread for this info.
post #9033 of 9118 Old 09-19-2009, 12:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJHXBR View Post

All you have to do is read the XBR8 thread for this info.

Come on, there is 2532 posts in this thread...
post #9034 of 9118 Old 09-19-2009, 01:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Furious Knight View Post

Yeah, so what? You want the information, do some leg work to find it......
post #9035 of 9118 Old 09-19-2009, 10:22 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Furious Knight View Post

There's also a "Search this thread" function in the upper right corner...

bye
Benny

bye
Benny
post #9036 of 9118 Old 09-27-2009, 12:21 AM

I went through 3 V's and 2 XBR9's that all had backlight/flashlight problems before moving over to a Kuro Plasma. The plasma makes the Sony look like a cheap toy as the picture quality is far beyond anything the Sony could produce. If you are tired of poor build quality/flash-lighting, move over to Plasma and don't look back

post #9037 of 9118 Old 09-27-2009, 03:34 PM

Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocZZZZ View Post

I went through 3 V's and 2 XBR9's that all had backlight/flashlight problems before moving over to a Kuro Plasma. The plasma makes the Sony look like a cheap toy as the picture quality is far beyond anything the Sony could produce. If you are tired of poor build quality/flash-lighting, move over to Plasma and don't look back

Hi ocZZZZ
I've had a 40XBR7 since April that has serious flashlighting and it really bugs me. This is the reason why I'm selling it and moving to plasma.

I called sonystyle and they contacted a repair tech to come and check it. Well he did and proceeded to tell me there was nothing wrong. He did see the flashlighting, but told me it was normal. I proceeded to tell him "BS" it should not be there

All I want from a tv, is a great picture without worrying about clouding/flashlighting problems.

Panasonic TC-PXXV10 here I come.

Regards
Bob aka Videoz

Bob (Retired)
post #9038 of 9118 Old 09-28-2009, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocZZZZ View Post

I'm with you. I bought an XBR4 LCD last year and it's now junk (cloudiness/black bar problem). There's no way I can justify taking a chance on an XBR8. Plasma here I come.
post #9039 of 9118 Old 09-28-2009, 07:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alettiere View Post

True. If this problem were universal and literally ALL LCDs had flashlights and clouding, then I would have dismissed them for plasma long ago.

But the fact that there are people out there who don't have these problems just makes you determined to acquire one of these "good" ones.

30% chance based on this poll. Realistically, I think it's more like 10-15%.

The chances of an uneven/cloudy backlight are 69.66% (current poll results). BTW: CNET even complained about the screen uniformity of both the B8000 and the XBR9 test units.
post #9040 of 9118 Old 09-28-2009, 08:39 PM

Quote:

"Does the set have flashlights?"

I was talking to a Magnolia manager the other day and telling him about my problems with the two XBR8s having flashlights. He knew what I was referring to, which is rare, considering most salesman are clueless (or at least pretend to be). He claims it's the result of light leakage because whatever adhesive they use on the screen to the bezel isn't on tight enough, which is why light leaks out.

Actually there isn't any adhesive used at all. Flashlighting and clouding is caused by slight deformations in the diffuser. The diffuser is a translucent piece of plastic which is kinda flimsy. A flashlight or cloud is visible when part of the diffuser is raised up higher than the rest.

Quote:

Which would make sense, but doesn't explain why it typically doesn't formulate until 30 minutes of run time. That's the tricky thing about flashlights. You can turn on a new set and run some 2.35:1 content and praise the set . . . and then 30 minutes later, you're cursing it.

It takes a while for clouds and flashlights to show up because the diffuser needs time to heat up and warp which causes the flashlight/cloud. flashlights are very common because the diffuser isnt held down securely at the edges. It can't fall out or anything, but it can definitely move around in there.
post #9041 of 9118 Old 09-29-2009, 12:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Someone claimed that by hooking up a couple of PC fans and enabling them to blow air directly into the corners, that it eliminated flashlights. If this is true, then it's obvious that this problem is the result of the way these sets are constructed.

That was me on an XBR3 a couple of years ago. IIRC, leaving the back of the TV off, thus providing more ventilation, did NOT fix the problem. Loosening the retaining screws didn't help much either. The problem is the LCD panel overheating which causes flashlights at the corners. It would take about a half-hour for the panel to get hot enough to exhibit flashlights and about 10-15 minutes of blowing air onto the corners to get rid of them. Turn the fans off and the flashlights would be back in 10-15 minutes.
post #9042 of 9118 Old 09-30-2009, 05:24 AM

I got my Samsung 46B650 TV last week. Overall, the backlight is quite OK.
Yesterday, I took a picture of a black screen, and found a strange mark. It is neither flash nor spotlight, but a slant band go across the panel, as is shown below. I cannot see the light band with naked eye.
It shouldn't come from a curvature of diffuser. Then, what is the reason of the light band? Do you have any idea?

*The picture was taken with a quite long exposure time with iso 100/F5.6. And the backlight is full. If I turn the backlight down to 3 (my normal setting for movie), the light band is barely seen even in photo. In real use, it doesn't bother me. Just interested to know how the light band comes.

http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo...eat=directlink
post #9043 of 9118 Old 10-01-2009, 04:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by geister View Post

IMO, the backlight uniformity on your set is terrible--but unfortunately all too typical of today's LCD panels. As for the light band it may not be visible to the eye as yet but you can't be certain it won't develop further over time. Personally, I'd return it.

Screen uniformity issues seem rampant this year. CNET mentioned poor screen uniformity in a number of reviews (even for top tier sets) and the forums and online reviews are overflowing with posts.

Even Home Theater mag mentioned it about the Sony when they did their 40-42" face off a couple of months ago.

http://hometheatermag.com/flat-panel...ff/index1.html

"The Sony was a close second for me. It also had a low black level with detail in blacks, which was especially noticeable with King Kong's facial hair in Peter Jackson's epic. There was a crispness to the stars in Stargate: The Ark of Truth, but some light leakage from the top right corner took away from the image. It might have just been in the display we had, but I encourage any consumer to check for it."
post #9044 of 9118 Old 10-02-2009, 07:27 AM

Quote:

The chances of an uneven/cloudy backlight are 69.66% (current poll results). BTW: CNET even complained about the screen uniformity of both the B8000 and the XBR9 test units.

Keep in mind the average consumer doesn't know of this website and I wouldn't have come to this thread unless I had this issue. Those results are predisposed to be negative.
post #9045 of 9118 Old 10-02-2009, 06:29 PM

So disappointing... I just received a new Sony Bravia KDL-52W5100 and it has AWFUL backlighting! Giant clouds around each of the four corners. A $2k tv that has worse backlighting than my cheap Asus computer monitor...

I haven't had a chance to read the entire thread yet. Is there any hope reporting this to Sony and having them come out to take a look? I ordered it from frys.com... and, unfortunately, they only take TVs back with defects. Is this considered a defect? Are there any other options?
post #9046 of 9118 Old 10-05-2009, 10:54 AM

I'm taking my 52XBR9 back in tonight to best buy. I'll let you know what I encounter. I spoke with several csrs who all have said I shouldn't have a problem exchanging it.
post #9047 of 9118 Old 10-05-2009, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Videoz View Post

Hi ocZZZZ
I've had a 40XBR7 since April that has serious flashlighting and it really bugs me. This is the reason why I'm selling it and moving to plasma.

I called sonystyle and they contacted a repair tech to come and check it. Well he did and proceeded to tell me there was nothing wrong. He did see the flashlighting, but told me it was normal. I proceeded to tell him "BS" it should not be there

All I want from a tv, is a great picture without worrying about clouding/flashlighting problems.

Panasonic TC-PXXV10 here I come.

Regards
Bob aka Videoz

Same thing happened to me just now on my 46w3000. It's almost two years old, and within the last 2 months developed a flashlight. I filed a claim under Visa's extended warranty program. Tech just came and said he could see it, but that it is within "spec" as did his supervisor when I spoke to him. Very annoying.
post #9048 of 9118 Old 10-08-2009, 10:44 AM

Did a second exchange and the third one seems pretty solid.

Its crappy but don't hesitate to return them. I have not had any issues with anyone at Best Buy returning these tvs for another.
post #9049 of 9118 Old 10-08-2009, 04:20 PM

IMO, reviewers should stop praising the black levels of sets that suffer from backlight uniformity issues. Clouding and flashlights simply negate any benefit of black level performance.
post #9050 of 9118 Old 10-08-2009, 05:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrdonbonjovi View Post

Did a second exchange and the third one seems pretty solid. [IMG]http://****************/smilies/img/4942/l09v0805qpar/avs.gif[/IMG]

Its crappy but don't hesitate to return them. I have not had any issues with anyone at Best Buy returning these tvs for another.

Geez! It took 3 sets to get a good one! That's awful...
post #9051 of 9118 Old 10-27-2009, 12:53 AM

I think uniformity does directly relate to the diffuser. I was messing around with an old Sharp LCD with uniformity issues, using the screen rubbing method, loosening of screws etc. What also seems to help was turning up the backlight, brightness, and contrast full blast while viewing a completely white screen for an hour. The heat really seems to even and stretch out the diffuser.
post #9052 of 9118 Old 11-03-2009, 02:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevie89 View Post

I bought a sony 40V Bravia some 10 months ago. Over the past few months i started noticing what looked like a dirty mark in the middle of the screen which wouldnt come off after cleaning with the Sony approved screen cleaner.

I just left it for a few weeks then i noticed that the mark was getting bigger and more noticeable. I then googled the problem and was amazed to stumble upon this forum. I adjusted the screen as recomended on this site but it affected the quality of the picture. i then contacted my local Sony dealer where i purchased the TV and they came out to have a look at it.

After the Sony technician mucked about with the settings with no improvement he then went to make a phone call. On his return i showed him this forum which clearly shows that theres a problem with the product, he was amazed.

I then told the technician that if he had bought a car with a fault in the paintwork (fadeing) and the car dealer said that if you drove about with a dirty car you couldnt notice the embelishment would you be happy to accept this.

The technician then told me that he would have to take my tv to the workshop for further investigation. Hes coming back next week with a replacement set meantime.

Just another issue that ive had with the tv, on 3 seperate occasions my tv has had a split screen where the right hand side was completely blank with the other half was showing only 50% of the picture.

I got a 5 year warranty when i purchased the tv.

Thats my local Sony dealer just taken away my CLOUDY Sony away for repair.They are going to replace the full LCD panel, he says i should have the set back today as it doesnt take long to replace the full panel but it is an expensive repair.

Heres hopeing that when the TVs returned that i have cloud free viewing
post #9053 of 9118 Old 11-03-2009, 07:10 PM

Is the W-series affected? Particularly the KDL-52W5100? This TV is selling for a good price, and I was considering purchasing it.
post #9054 of 9118 Old 11-03-2009, 09:23 PM
AVS Special Member

unfortunately the larger an LCD is the more likely this is to happen as others have stated on here its the light diffuser plates separating from the back of the LCD panel that causes this problem, something to do with the manufacturing process that they use at joint operation plant owned by both sony and samsung makes this problem more apparent in their displays.

I'm a happy owner of a 32xbr6 and its always had a slight flashlight coming from the 4 corners of the display but in normal use i never notice it i have to literally put up a black screen and stare at it or look from off angles to see the flashlights

solution to this problem is get over it or buy a different brand display because guess what they can't fix this problem its a defect in the LCD design and wont go away until sony moves on to using panels from the new joint venture plant with sharp, untill then their TV's will continue to use PVA panels made by S-LCD

If you're a gamer or interested in using an LCD TV as a primary monitor take a look at my thread on Input Lag
post #9055 of 9118 Old 11-04-2009, 08:03 AM

Quote:

Thats my local Sony dealer just taken away my CLOUDY Sony away for repair.They are going to replace the full LCD panel, he says i should have the set back today as it doesnt take long to replace the full panel but it is an expensive repair.

Heres hopeing that when the TVs returned that i have cloud free viewing

Full LCD panel been replaced, problem solved
post #9056 of 9118 Old 11-04-2009, 08:03 PM

My KDL-52W5100 has the 'flash light' in all four corners with one a bit less bright than the others. I have a big bay window in the room and can only see the uneven lighting in the evening with the room lights off. I can't tell if it affects the quality of the image; I only notice it when the titles start rolling and then I am done watching anyway.
From what I understood by reading this thread, it's a very common problem and finding a TV set that does not have it is in itself a major hassle - one has to exchange several TVs in hope of finding one that is 'flashlight' or 'clouds' free. I think I can live with the 'flashlights' as long as it does not affect the overall longevity of the TV set.
post #9057 of 9118 Old 11-04-2009, 10:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Full LCD panel been replaced, problem solved

Quote:
Originally Posted by pm181 View Post

My KDL-52W5100 has the 'flash light' in all four corners with one a bit less bright than the others. I have a big bay window in the room and can only see the uneven lighting in the evening with the room lights off. I can't tell if it affects the quality of the image; I only notice it when the titles start rolling and then I am done watching anyway.
From what I understood by reading this thread, it's a very common problem and finding a TV set that does not have it is in itself a major hassle - one has to exchange several TVs in hope of finding one that is 'flashlight' or 'clouds' free. I think I can live with the 'flashlights' as long as it does not affect the overall longevity of the TV set.

yep and even if you find one that is flashlight and cloud free over time and use it can still develop the problem, try to keep the backlight turned down if you want to try to avoid it developing because heat is definitely a factor in it developing IMO

If you're a gamer or interested in using an LCD TV as a primary monitor take a look at my thread on Input Lag
post #9058 of 9118 Old 11-19-2009, 10:37 AM

IMO:
Maybe there was a time when one could excuse clouds and flashlights as limitations of LCD technology, but has that time not passed? Given that CEMs have known for years, perhaps screen uniformity problems should now be considered defects.

Nearly every LCD/LED forum this year is overflowing with negative reports about screen uniformity (this applies to top of the line sets as well). Would consumers continue to pay thousands of dollars for any other product with a flaw in its essential function? Or would they consider it junk?

A solution, or at least improvement, would probably come quickly if consumers stopped purchasing or at least returned problem sets.
post #9059 of 9118 Old 11-19-2009, 05:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 61
Quote:

IMO:
Maybe there was a time when one could excuse clouds and flashlights as limitations of LCD technology, but has that time not passed? Given that CEMs have known for years, perhaps screen uniformity problems should now be considered defects.

Nearly every LCD/LED forum this year is overflowing with negative reports about screen uniformity (this applies to top of the line sets as well). Would consumers continue to pay thousands of dollars for any other product with a flaw in its essential function? Or would they consider it junk?

A solution, or at least improvement, would probably come quickly if consumers stopped purchasing or at least returned problem sets.

Perhaps you should read some owners reviews on Crutchfield or Amazon's sites. Most people are not aware of these problems or don't care. And flat panel TV's are selling like crazy right now, why would the manufacturers think there is a problem?

Many things that drive us crazy around here don't even rate a blip with JSP.

BTW, clouding and flashlighting drives me nuts!
post #9060 of 9118 Old 11-20-2009, 05:01 PM

My 52 XBR9 has the clouds that show up on the left bars during a 4:3 show. When the screen is all dark, there is about 6 or more spots. I'm going to try a new one but I talked to to tech a sony today and my chances are not good to get an even panel. I like the picture so much on this t.v. that I'm willing to try it. Its a June 09' build.
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Sony Bravia S Series Kdl 40s2010 40 Inch Lcd Hdtv , Sony Bravia W Series Kdl 46w5100 46 Inch Lcd Hdtv , Sony Bravia Xbr Kdl 52xbr4 52 Inch 1080p Lcd Hdtv , Lcd Hdtv
Gear in this thread - 52xbr4 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page