Official Sony Bravia LCD Uneven Backlight/Cloudy Thread - Page 303 - AVS Forum
View Poll Results: Does your Sony 46" XBR LCD suffer from an uneven backlight or cloudy background?
YES, clouds can been seen when dark colors are displayed or when switching inputs 1,294 69.05%
NO, my screen has a perfect, fully even, backlight 580 30.95%
Voters: 1874. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 

post #9061 of 9118 Old 11-21-2009, 11:21 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Just bought my KDL-51w5100 and the set was manufactured June of 2009.

The only backlight uniformity issues i'm having is in the top left and top right corners "flashlighting" pretty bad, I'd say maybe an inch and a half from the corners.

I've tried removing the corner screws and "rubbing" the lcd to no avail.

I bought this unit at Fry's for 1099. Should I take it back once they receive more in stock?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #9062 of 9118 Old 11-21-2009, 06:24 PM

Is there a manufacture date of these things that does not have issues? I am still debating on whether to keep this one or not. I have about three weeks to decide. I might try one more of these and if its a little better I'll keep it or if not, I'll try the sammy 750, which may still have the same problem but I'll just have to accept that these lcds have this handicap.
post #9063 of 9118 Old 11-22-2009, 12:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidbitters View Post

Is there a manufacture date of these things that does not have issues? I am still debating on whether to keep this one or not. I have about three weeks to decide. I might try one more of these and if its a little better I'll keep it or if not, I'll try the sammy 750, which may still have the same problem but I'll just have to accept that these lcds have this handicap.

The B750 can also have flashlighting. Loosen the bezel screws, light dry cloth rub down of the screen, and displaying a white screen for an hour or so are some ways to help reduce them.
post #9064 of 9118 Old 11-26-2009, 07:00 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 168 Post(s)
Liked: 148
I recently bought a 46Z5100 online and after it was delivered, I then found it was slightly damaged in shipping.
I was going to not finish unpacking it, and left it to send back, but the seller told me to go ahead and use it for a few days till FedEx could pick it up.

The HD pic on this set is freakin awesome.
However, there was a TON of clouding and flashlighting all over the screen.
A quick calibration of the settings reduced it a little, but it was pretty bad.
All of the sudden, I was relieved it was damaged.

The replacement tv should be here on Tuesday, and I am holding my breath and praying that the panel is not cursed with this light uniformity issue.
Do you guys think that Sony will repair it if it is bad again?
I wish I had known about this issue before I decided to purchase it.

~Dave

...Theater Room Setup...
JVC DLA-RS40-U... Oppo BDP-105D... Toshiba HD-XA2... Uverse VIP-2250... Roku Streaming Stick... Emotiva XPA-3... Onkyo TX-SR805
JBL LC2 (x3) ... JBL L820 (x6) ... SVS PB10-ISD (x2) ... SVS 20-39-PCI
post #9065 of 9118 Old 11-27-2009, 06:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smarty-pants View Post

I recently bought a 46Z5100 online and after it was delivered, I then found it was slightly damaged in shipping.
I was going to not finish unpacking it, and left it to send back, but the seller told me to go ahead and use it for a few days till FedEx could pick it up.

The HD pic on this set is freakin awesome.
However, there was a TON of clouding and flashlighting all over the screen.
A quick calibration of the settings reduced it a little, but it was pretty bad.
All of the sudden, I was relieved it was damaged.

The replacement tv should be here on Tuesday, and I am holding my breath and praying that the panel is not cursed with this light uniformity issue.
Do you guys think that Sony will repair it if it is bad again?
I wish I had known about this issue before I decided to purchase it.

Are you lost? How did you manage to find your way out of the 83 thread? Seriously though, the uniformity game with Sony (and quite possibly other manufacturers) is very trying. If it's as bad as the damaged set, I'd probably ask for a refund. If clouded to a lesser extent, you can ask to have the set evaluated for repair, but that seems to end up being a mixed bag, depending on location and technician assigned. Some will replace the panel, (but why should you have to replace the panel in a new set?), Some will say it's in "spec", but when you ask to see the spec, it can't be produced. Keep in mind, when they use the in spec line, they NEVER take any quantitative measurements, so I suspect it's just a way to blow off the customer. If satisfaction can't be obtained with on site tech visit, the next thing would be to contact Sony executive review committee to work out a direct exchange or refund with them. It can be a time consuming, frustrating evolution. There are other posts under my username detailing, my experience from getting a Direct exchange, to ultimate refund. It was a real pain in the a**. In the end you'll have to determine, if the set arrives with uniformity problems, how far you're willing to go for resolution. Good luck.
post #9066 of 9118 Old 11-27-2009, 08:17 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by schlick View Post

Are you lost? How did you manage to find your way out of the 83 thread? Seriously though, the uniformity game with Sony (and quite possibly other manufacturers) is very trying. If it's as bad as the damaged set, I'd probably ask for a refund. If clouded to a lesser extent, you can ask to have the set evaluated for repair, but that seems to end up being a mixed bag, depending on location and technician assigned. Some will replace the panel, (but why should you have to replace the panel in a new set?), Some will say it's in "spec", but when you ask to see the spec, it can't be produced. Keep in mind, when they use the in spec line, they NEVER take any quantitative measurements, so I suspect it's just a way to blow off the customer. If satisfaction can't be obtained with on site tech visit, the next thing would be to contact Sony executive review committee to work out a direct exchange or refund with them. It can be a time consuming, frustrating evolution. There are other posts under my username detailing, my experience from getting a Direct exchange, to ultimate refund. It was a real pain in the a**. In the end you'll have to determine, if the set arrives with uniformity problems, how far you're willing to go for resolution. Good luck.

Thanks schlick.
I will usually go 'balls to the wall' if I have to. Hopefully if there is a problem with the new set, I can get it repaired.
I got a killer price on it, and would rather not have to start shopping all over again to find something else for the same price.
KEEPING FINGERS CROSSED...

~Dave

...Theater Room Setup...
JVC DLA-RS40-U... Oppo BDP-105D... Toshiba HD-XA2... Uverse VIP-2250... Roku Streaming Stick... Emotiva XPA-3... Onkyo TX-SR805
post #9067 of 9118 Old 11-27-2009, 08:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 342 Post(s)
Liked: 514
Dave - it is very weird to read your posts somewhere other than the 83 thread. I went through 2 Sony's before getting an XBR9 with a good panel. Unfortunately I don't think there is anyone who can guarantee that you will receive an acceptable panel first time out (unless you tolerate some of what you complained about with the Z) - seems like its is luck of the draw this year regardless of the manufacturer. Given your love of the 83, I am curious why you didn't go the plasma route, but that's just a little off topic.

Panasonic 60VT60 (cal by DNice)
Denon 5200 w/ Outlaw 2200 Amps (3)
Ascend Acoustics Sierra 2s F/R & Horizon w/ RAAL Center; Sierra 1s Surrounds; HTM-200s Top Middle and PSB S5 Rear Surrounds; Dual SVS subs
Oppo 103; Onkyo HD-DVD; Apple TV & Roku Stick
Atmos arrived on 9/30/2014
post #9068 of 9118 Old 11-30-2009, 11:57 AM

Well, I bought a floormodel from June 2009 to begin with. It had awful flashlighting and some minor clouding, so I returned it once they received more units new in box.

I arrived home with my new in box November 2009 model, updated it and unfortunately have almost similar clouding and flashlighting problems in the upper left and right corners.

I thought for a fact getting a nov 2009 build would solve my problems but not really. The flashlighting isn't quite as an intense white as the other set but still distracting in certain screen formats like The Last Samurai Blu Ray and SD content or dark screens playing ps3 and 360.
post #9069 of 9118 Old 12-10-2009, 01:13 PM

Over time, does clouding intensity/ quantity
increase, decrease, or remain constant in a display?
I'm curious because my 52w5100 I bought last week
has some clouding and I want to know if I should expect to
become drastically worse or stay the same, etc.
Thanks,
David.
post #9070 of 9118 Old 12-10-2009, 02:11 PM
AVS Special Member

David,

Generally, the amount and intensity of the clouding stays close to whatever you experience out of the box. But, If the tv is subject to constant vibration, (cars passing by outside, in a heavily foot travelled area,) the side exposed to the vibrations can/most likely will develop uneven lit patches.
Hope this helps,
schlick
post #9071 of 9118 Old 12-10-2009, 04:18 PM
Advanced Member

It's rather hit or miss it seems...(From what I've seen in stores)
post #9072 of 9118 Old 12-10-2009, 05:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by fadedb8ta View Post

Well, I bought a floormodel from June 2009 to begin with. It had awful flashlighting and some minor clouding, so I returned it once they received more units new in box.

I arrived home with my new in box November 2009 model, updated it and unfortunately have almost similar clouding and flashlighting problems in the upper left and right corners.

I thought for a fact getting a nov 2009 build would solve my problems but not really. The flashlighting isn't quite as an intense white as the other set but still distracting in certain screen formats like The Last Samurai Blu Ray and SD content or dark screens playing ps3 and 360.

Regardless of what anyone else tells you on this forum, Sony's TVs mostly seem to suffer from this problem, and so far they seem uninterested in truly correcting it at the manufacturing level.

Samsung seems to have made great strides in this area, and generally speaking their sets seem to have far less problems with it.

post #9073 of 9118 Old 12-10-2009, 10:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigerriot View Post

Regardless of what anyone else tells you on this forum, Sony's TVs mostly seem to suffer from this problem, and so far they seem uninterested in truly correcting it at the manufacturing level.

Samsung seems to have made great strides in this area, and generally speaking their sets seem to have far less problems with it.

Right!
All same. I rather see bright corners that my entire room on my TV.

It is all about quality...that is the picture

JVC & NEC 8" CRT with 106" wide Stewart screen. All NHT speakers driven by Pioneer Elite AVR and bluray

Custom dedicated 8 seat theater

post #9074 of 9118 Old 12-10-2009, 10:29 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaspianM View Post

Right!
All same shite. I rather see bright corners that my entire room on my TV.

Been hittin the bottle a little tonight buddy?
You're slurrin your words there a little bit.

~Dave

...Theater Room Setup...
post #9075 of 9118 Old 12-10-2009, 11:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Been hittin the bottle a little tonight buddy?
You're slurrin your words there a little bit.

There is really no practical difference in a broad sense between Samsung and Sony when it comes to uniformity or bright corners. Mostly it is unit to unit variations and even then it is just a matter of a bit better here and worse there.
I have seen several same post by the poster which is far from reality. Just read the B750 thread and see the screen shots taken from samsung b750. There are more quality issues with it than we normally talk about. I have seen the B7000 (LED) and uniformity did not look good.

It is all about quality...that is the picture

JVC & NEC 8" CRT with 106" wide Stewart screen. All NHT speakers driven by Pioneer Elite AVR and bluray

Custom dedicated 8 seat theater

post #9076 of 9118 Old 12-11-2009, 12:36 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Ya, I've heard recently that most panels from Samsung are the same panels as in the Sonys anyway.

~Dave

...Theater Room Setup...
post #9077 of 9118 Old 12-11-2009, 06:39 AM
Advanced Member

Thread is still alive. Been a couple of years for me in here. Still have my XBR2, working great. Clouds if I look hard on a blank screen, but I don't look anymore.
post #9078 of 9118 Old 12-11-2009, 07:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaspianM View Post

There is really no practical difference in a broad sense between Samsung and Sony when it comes to uniformity or bright corners. Mostly it is unit to unit variations and even then it is just a matter of a bit better here and worse there.
I have seen several same post by the poster which is far from reality. Just read the B750 thread and see the screen shots taken from samsung b750. There are more quality issues with it than we normally talk about. I have seen the B7000 (LED) and uniformity did not look good.

First off, everyone knows edge lit LED is a completely different story when it comes to uniformity. So trying to use one of those models as a comparative model is silly. All edge lit LED tvs have terrible uniformity.

But in terms of standard LCD tvs, I believe it's a fact that Samsung's models have less uniformity issues than Sony's models, as of 2009. I'm not talking about 2008 or 2007. Just 2009.

CNET's reviews mention this, and I've seen it with my own eyes in several instances. I'm also not claiming that no Samsung sets have uniformity problems, because they do, but I'm only saying they have LESS than Sony's 2009 models.

Quote:

Ya, I've heard recently that most panels from Samsung are the same panels as in the Sonys anyway.

Even if they're using the same source for LCD panels, the uniformity problems crop up in the manufacturing of the TV, and that is where the differences occur.

post #9079 of 9118 Old 01-02-2010, 07:18 PM

Just bought a KDL52Z5100 clouding and flashlighting in all four corners.
I would guess 35-40% of the screen affected.
Now my eyes just keep looking at the top corners when black bars come on during a HD movie, other then that the pictuce is to die for.
But it bothers the hell out of me, I want to keep it? but I should just return it and wait for something else?
post #9080 of 9118 Old 01-02-2010, 09:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norm340 View Post

Just bought a KDL52Z5100 clouding and flashlighting in all four corners.
I would guess 35-40% of the screen affected.
Now my eyes just keep looking at the top corners when black bars come on during a HD movie, other then that the pictuce is to die for.
But it bothers the hell out of me, I want to keep it? but I should just return it and wait for something else?

Ditto here on the exact same model.

I bought my unit 3 weeks ago and now i'm debating whether i should take it back for an exchange or just get a refund and wait a while to see whats out there.
post #9081 of 9118 Old 01-02-2010, 10:07 PM

Weird since that Sony and Samsung pretty much use the same panels (with the S panel only circumstances).... there's something behind the control of who gets what maybe!
post #9082 of 9118 Old 01-02-2010, 10:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bk.secret23 View Post

Weird since that Sony and Samsung pretty much use the same panels (with the S panel only circumstances).... there's something behind the control of who gets what maybe!

It has to do with the actual assembly of the entire tv. It seems that Samsung just has the process down a bit better than Sony right now.

post #9083 of 9118 Old 01-02-2010, 10:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigerriot View Post

It has to do with the actual assembly of the entire tv. It seems that Samsung just has the process down a bit better than Sony right now.

It depends. In fact, CMO and AUO panels have better uniformity, and S-PVA panels seem to be the one with prominent clouding and flashlighting in comparison to both.
post #9084 of 9118 Old 01-03-2010, 01:53 AM

My XBR9 has serious flashlighting, enough at least that I'm not going to stay with an XBR9 unless I can find one that doesn't do this.
post #9085 of 9118 Old 01-03-2010, 06:45 PM

I have this issue on my new KDL46Z5100. Not super bad but I'm not sure if I should live with it or not. I'm still within my 30 day return window (just got the set). Top right corner, a few spots along the top.

I've turned the backlight down to 2. Not sure what else I can do.

The overall picture on this set is astounding from what I had (sony LCD projection that developed the blue blotch problem). So other than this issue, I so far like the set.

It sounds like I'd have to go though a number of different sets to find one that doesn't have it.

I like the samsungs too but I was told that they're having more repair issues than sony right now.
post #9086 of 9118 Old 01-13-2010, 09:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bk.secret23 View Post

it depends. In fact, cmo and auo panels have better uniformity, and s-pva panels seem to be the one with prominent clouding and flashlighting in comparison to both.

100% agree!
post #9087 of 9118 Old 01-13-2010, 09:07 AM

Ive been purchasing sony Televisions and honestly. Havent had one that had some major flaw and Sony wont do anything about it. Never buying Sony again after my blue blob issue.

Also isnt is true but a normal bulbed lcd tv is going to have some clouding no matter what? Ill admit though my last Sony (1 year ago purchase) w1000? Not sure it was horrid compared to my samsung. I went through 3 tv's and just said forget it...got the samsung and the picture blows away the sony.
post #9088 of 9118 Old 01-13-2010, 09:25 AM

Liked: 16
WOW, this clouding and flashlight issue has really blown up in the last 2 years....

XBR-55X850, KDL-40XBR4 8000+ hours
post #9089 of 9118 Old 01-13-2010, 10:21 AM

IMO I think the clouding/flashlighting issue is more of a "recent thing" - in the sense that, 2 years ago (2007) it was relatively minor (perhaps due to very stringent QC) and nowadays it's much more prevalent (perhaps due to cost-cutting in the QC department).

My own anecdotal evidence:

KDL32-S3000 purchased Dec. 2007:
- although black levels are pretty crap, the viewing angles are poor, and the contrast is pathetic compared to most year 2009 LCD TVs, there is NO flashlighting or clouding nor has there ever been any! I used to watch a lot of 2.35:1 aspect ratio movies in the dark, at night, so please take this as gospel

KDL46-W5100 purchased Dec. 2009:
- black levels are beautiful, viewing angles are much improved, contrast is much much better; but I have minor flashlighting (albeit no clouding). Compared to other people on this forum, my flashlighting is not that bad and it's not worth it for me to exchange (since I might get a "horrible" set belonging to one of the other guys here, LOL).

However it's a bit of a "shock" for me as I'm used to an LCD TV with ZERO flashlighting so having one with a small amount is still noticeable, especially when I'm watching 2.35:1 movies.

I was able to mitigate this slightly by performing the following:
- rubbing the screen with the microfiber that came with my "LCD TV Cleaning Kit"
- repeatedly showing a FULL BLACK and FULL WHITE 1920x1080 jpg file on my TV through the Bravia Photo Viewer
- turning on the "ambient light sensor" in the Sony's ECO menu

I don't know which one of these helped the most since I sort of did them all at once. :/
Chances are, it's the ambient light sensor which is doing the most help.
post #9090 of 9118 Old 01-13-2010, 06:07 PM

Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coltaine79 View Post

I was able to mitigate this slightly by performing the following:
- rubbing the screen with the microfiber that came with my "LCD TV Cleaning Kit"
- repeatedly showing a FULL BLACK and FULL WHITE 1920x1080 jpg file on my TV through the Bravia Photo Viewer
- turning on the "ambient light sensor" in the Sony's ECO menu

I don't know which one of these helped the most since I sort of did them all at once. :/
Chances are, it's the ambient light sensor which is doing the most help.

IMO
#1 "rubbing" the screen is only temporarily distorting the surrounding pixels and spreading your problem which makes you believe it's blending in... and seriously are you going to rub your screen with a mircofiber cloth before each dark scene in a movie? come on...
#2 flopping a full black to full white screen... is only going to make your pupils dilate back and forth
#3 maybe, but having the ambient light sensor ON in my opinion just makes for erratic brightness during different scenes while viewing movies in a dark room.

XBR-55X850, KDL-40XBR4 8000+ hours
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Sony Bravia S Series Kdl 40s2010 40 Inch Lcd Hdtv , Sony Bravia W Series Kdl 46w5100 46 Inch Lcd Hdtv , Sony Bravia Xbr Kdl 52xbr4 52 Inch 1080p Lcd Hdtv , Lcd Hdtv
Gear in this thread - 52xbr4 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page