Official Sony Bravia LCD Uneven Backlight/Cloudy Thread - Page 31 - AVS Forum
View Poll Results: Does your Sony 46" XBR LCD suffer from an uneven backlight or cloudy background?
YES, clouds can been seen when dark colors are displayed or when switching inputs 1,294 69.05%
NO, my screen has a perfect, fully even, backlight 580 30.95%
Voters: 1874. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 

post #901 of 9118 Old 12-07-2006, 07:46 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by fwb3 View Post

[center]
"We know about it, and it's an inherent problem in the 46" XBR's ..."

I like that the word "problem" was uttered by this rep. The other responses I've seen on this site stated that the situation was "normal" or "inherent" to this screen. That she said it's a problem admits that it's not correct or normal.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #902 of 9118 Old 12-07-2006, 07:52 AM
25S

When I called tech support they too acted like it was the first they had heard of it. I feel its important to compile a list of " Event numbers" so when some one calls and the sony tech says it's the first they have head of it just tell them I'm having the same problem that the person with event ID E32702363, xxxxxx,xxxxxx, Etc. Here is my info please add yours and repost If you don't have a sony event id number call sony at 1-800-222-7669 and get one

Member 25S
Model #:KDL-46BXR2
Build date: October 2006
Serial# 80303XX
Sony tech support event #: E32702363

Member Swizzir
Model #: KDL-46XBR2
Serial #: 80312xx
Sony Customer Service Event #: E32445552
post #903 of 9118 Old 12-07-2006, 07:59 AM
25S

Quote:

I'm on my 2ND CLOUDY 40" XBR2, and I'm not happy about it.
I opened a trouble ticket with Sony Tech Support / Customer Relations last night to make sure my complaint is on record. After being persistent enough to get past the first rep (who tried to schedule for a tech to come "fix it", despite the fact that he admitted that he didn't really understand what the problem was), and the second rep (who recommended I return it and have BB let me open and approve the replacement set), I got to a third rep who gave me the "new official line" - that I just need to adjust the picture settings. Obviously that dog don't hunt. However, some of the wording she used was quite interesting and worthy of note:

"We know about it, and it's an inherent problem in the 46" XBR's ..."

(I reminded her that I have a 40", and she stumbled for a moment.)

... "As of the latest info I have today, which is from this morning, there's no further recourse at this time."

I got the distinct impression that she had fielded a number of these calls - she sounded pretty exasperated. I'm reading tea leaves here, but I also got the sense that they've taken another step towards acknowledging that there's a problem, which is very important. My guess is that it's only now working its way up the org chart.

You wouldn't happen to have her direct number or contact info I'd like to speak with her too.
post #904 of 9118 Old 12-07-2006, 08:06 AM

Has anyone experienced cloudiness with the 52" model?
post #905 of 9118 Old 12-07-2006, 08:11 AM
25S

Post # 764

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmeader View Post

I realize this is the 46" thread, but this effects the 52" models as well.

yes it does
post #906 of 9118 Old 12-07-2006, 08:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 25S View Post

You wouldn't happen to have her direct number or contact info I'd like to speak with her too.

Don't have a direct-dial number. Again, the tech support people aren't going to have any kind of a "silver bullet" solution for any of us, but it IS very important to make sure they hear loud and clear that customers are upset and frustrated, so they can run that info up the org chart.

She did tell me that I could send my complaint to their Executive Review Board, and they'd get back to me within 7 days. But - again - I don't think this will be the fastest way to get them to act. (And I don't think their executive team is based in Fort Meyers!)

Sony Electronics
ATTN: Executive Review Board
12451 Gateway Blvd.
Fort Meyers, FL 33913
post #907 of 9118 Old 12-07-2006, 08:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by swizzir View Post

Anyone know what starting a class action lawsuit entails?

Lots and lots of time and energy. First you'd have to find a plaintiff's firm willing to take the case on a contingency fee, where they get a percentage of the verdict if the class wins and if the class loses the lawyer eats the cost.

These types of suits also take a long time because of the complications inherent in having such a large number of people involved. Plus, Sony would litigate the hell out of it because so much money would be at stake, whereas they wouldn't really care about a few small claims suits.

At the end of the day, the only people that win class action suits are the lawyers because of the contingency fee. Also, at best you'd end up with whatever your damages are, less the contingency fee. Whereas if you take them to small claims court, you'll get to keep all of the damages, because you get to litigate it yourself.

The only advantage to the class action suit would be that it would be more likely to cause Sony to change policy, whereas they would probably just settle with you if you filed a small claims suit. This "settlement" could conceivably be allowing you to return the TV and get your money back, which may be all you want anyway. The cost of sending someone to wherever to defend a small claims suit alone would probably approach (or exceed) the value of the suit to them anyway.

Also note that your "damages" might not be the full retail value of the TV, since what you have (a HDTV with a bad backlight) is still worth more than $0. This could depend on the law of the state you live in. But like I said, you might be able to get them to settle with you just by filing something.
post #908 of 9118 Old 12-07-2006, 08:23 AM
25S

Quote:

Don't have a direct-dial number. Again, the tech support people aren't going to have any kind of a "silver bullet" solution for any of us, but it IS very important to make sure they hear loud and clear that customers are upset and frustrated, so they can run that info up the org chart.

She did tell me that I could send my complaint to their Executive Review Board, and they'd get back to me within 7 days. But - again - I don't think this will be the fastest way to get them to act. (And I don't think their executive team is based in Fort Meyers!)

Sony Electronics
ATTN: Executive Review Board
12451 Gateway Blvd.
Fort Meyers, FL 33913

Here is a phone number that goes with this address 239-561-7669
post #909 of 9118 Old 12-07-2006, 08:24 AM

My info for the list:

Member: instantpop
Model No.: KDL-46XBR3
Serial No.: 80094xx
Event No.: E32722440
post #910 of 9118 Old 12-07-2006, 08:26 AM
25S

please add your info and repost If you don't have a sony event id number call sony at 1-800-222-7669 and get one

Member 25S
Serial# 80303XX

Member Swizzir

post #911 of 9118 Old 12-07-2006, 08:32 AM

add me to the list too:

Model # KDL-46XBR2
Build date: September 2006, Mexico
Serial# : 80250xx
Sony Customer Service Event #: E32683079
post #912 of 9118 Old 12-07-2006, 08:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonydude1966 View Post

If Sony doesn't help me tomorrow when the tech comes out, I'll probably head over to the local courthouse and see what it entails to file a small claims case. I'd also have to figure out who exactly to serve? I'm almost sure that info would be at the courthouse?

I wonder if copying all the info on the web will help, including this thread? I'm sure it would. I would also probably have to bring my set in or something on the court date? I wonder how that would work? My camera doesn't quite get what I am seeing, which is my problem. That would be such a hassle, but I'm pretty sure I'm going to do it if tomorrow is a bust.

I don't think it's that hard, and the little guy needs to be heard. This is unacceptable so far as I have heard in this thread. Does any one have any suggestions if this is how I am to proceed? I'll probably be on my own. Never done this before, never had to.

I have filed a small claims suit before. I'm sure it varies by state. I did it in California (which I could see having one of the better systems) and they made it really easy. There were some staff there who's job it was to help you fill out the form and they would even look up the company/individuals you wanted to sue to tell you where to serve. If the company was located within the county I filed suit in (which it was in my case), the local sheriff would serve for you (for a fee).

It's unlikely that Sony will have a place of service within the jurisdiction you file. However, a company like that will be very easy to serve and I'm sure the people at the small claims court will tell you what you need to do.

If you do sue, bringing your TV in would definitely be a hassle, but might be the only way to demonstrate the problem. Pictures would work as evidence, but at the end of the day you have to convince the judge that the problem is real. If pictures don't capture the problem, then bringing in the TV could be your only option. Also, you may want to also bring in a normal LCD to show the difference.
post #913 of 9118 Old 12-07-2006, 08:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irunnoft View Post

At first, when I bought my 40XBR2, I didn't have any issues. However, to my surprise and dismay, I noticed slight clouding last night for the first time. I've had this TV for almost a week now and it wasn't until I turned off my Xbox last night that I saw the clouding in my set on the black input channel. I can assure you that this wasn't there before. One of the brightest spots seems to be the lower left hand corner. I tried gently wiping the screen with a soft cloth and that somewhat spread the clouding around but didn't make it disappear.

Is there anybody who's laid their panel down flat for hours have the clouding return? I'm not thrilled that this is a supposed avenue of remedy. My concern is that the clouding will continue to get worse and that, if I do lay the panel down flat, that the clouding will only return.

If I buy the extended service plan with BB, will this be covered in the future? It doesn't sound like Sony's admitting to a problem so I'm not too confident about them solving the problem. But what about a service plan from BB?

Also, anybody know if the new models built in November suffer from this problem? Anybody get a set built in November?

mine layed face down for 2 days now, i just set it up and ill report back after i get home from work and when its darker in my room.
post #914 of 9118 Old 12-07-2006, 08:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kronius View Post

If pictures don't capture the problem, then bringing in the TV could be your only option. Also, you may want to also bring in a normal LCD to show the difference.

Only if we could find two XBR2 owners close to each other. One with a good set, one with a cloudy set and have them bring their sets in. That, to me, would be the perfect scenario and a sure fire win for our side.
post #915 of 9118 Old 12-07-2006, 08:43 AM
25S

please add your info and repost If you don't have a sony event id number call sony at 1-800-222-7669 and get one

Member 25S
Serial# 80303XX

Member Swizzir

Member: landez
Model # KDL-46XBR2
post #916 of 9118 Old 12-07-2006, 08:44 AM

Quote:

At first, when I bought my 40XBR2, I didn't have any issues. However, to my surprise and dismay, I noticed slight clouding last night for the first time. I've had this TV for almost a week now and it wasn't until I turned off my Xbox last night that I saw the clouding in my set on the black input channel. I can assure you that this wasn't there before. One of the brightest spots seems to be the lower left hand corner. I tried gently wiping the screen with a soft cloth and that somewhat spread the clouding around but didn't make it disappear.

Is there anybody who's laid their panel down flat for hours have the clouding return? I'm not thrilled that this is a supposed avenue of remedy. My concern is that the clouding will continue to get worse and that, if I do lay the panel down flat, that the clouding will only return.

If I buy the extended service plan with BB, will this be covered in the future? It doesn't sound like Sony's admitting to a problem so I'm not too confident about them solving the problem. But what about a service plan from BB?

Also, anybody know if the new models built in November suffer from this problem? Anybody get a set built in November?

Man, this is exactly what I was afraid of...getting a TV that looked fine and then out of nowhere, boom, a few weeks later you've got a cloudy TV.
post #917 of 9118 Old 12-07-2006, 08:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kronius View Post

Man, this is exactly what I was afraid of...getting a TV that looked fine and then out of nowhere, boom, a few weeks later you've got a cloudy TV.

Kronius, believe me. . . I checked and double checked when I got the TV home. I wasn't about to screw around with a set as expensive as this. It was either going to be right or else something was going to be done about it. I'm telling you - it was black on the input channels. Nothing changed with my equipment since I've hooked it up either. All of a sudden, there it was. My set has that marbelized look that others have. It is generally spread all over the screen but has the tell-tale noticeable pooling of light in the lower left corner.

I'm still within my 30 day window to return/exchange at Best Buy. However, like so many who've blazed that path before me . . . I don't see anything coming from simply exchanging the set for a new one at Best Buy UNLESS they get November built sets in AND if people start seeing no problems with those newly built sets.

I'm thinking about getting my money back and just getting a KDS-R60XBR2 rear projection LCD. Don't know. I'd like to keep the LCD because of space issues. I'm just bummed out!

GT: irunnoft
post #918 of 9118 Old 12-07-2006, 09:16 AM

Well, I am a tad concerned about this thread. I purchased one about 3 weeks ago and do not see the problem (MFG date is October 2006). I have the SONY 5-year warranty.

Is there any way to "bring out" this problem? I have until after X-mas to return it.
post #919 of 9118 Old 12-07-2006, 09:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerryyyyy View Post

Well, I am a tad concerned about this thread. I purchased one about 3 weeks ago and do not see the problem (MFG date is October 2006). I have the SONY 5-year warranty.

Is there any way to "bring out" this problem? I have until after X-mas to return it.

One sure fire way to tell if you have the clouding issue or not is to view the TV in a dark room (night is best). Once the TV has been on for a few minutes, turn it to one of the blank input channels. For instance, I had my Xbox running on Input 5 for component video. Last night, I saw the problem as clear as day when I powered the Xbox off and had a black screen for input 5. It wasn't uniformly black as it should be. Also, you need to be on eye-level with the set. Check for the lower left corner of the TV. Before last night, I'd not had any problems with clouds. I'd not moved the TV, connected, disconnected any equipment. In short, nothing changed but just suddenly . . . clouds!

post #920 of 9118 Old 12-07-2006, 09:35 AM

Quote:

One sure fire way to tell if you have the clouding issue or not is to view the TV in a dark room (night is best).

I'm able to see it at night with the lights on. I've found that natural light makes it more difficult to see on my set but artificial light doesn't effect visibility too much.

25S, great idea compiling our info in a list. Thanks for heading it up. I hope we can get at least 50 or more people on the list.
post #921 of 9118 Old 12-07-2006, 09:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I'm able to see it at night with the lights on. I've found that natural light makes it more difficult to see on my set but artificial light doesn't effect visibility too much.

25S, great idea compiling our info in a list. Thanks for heading it up. I hope we can get at least 50 or more people on the list.

I can hardly wait to get home and call. It'll almost be funny when they tell me this is the first they've heard of this issue. I'm getting that info together and posting tonight.

It's a damn shame because the TV is so fantastic w/ regards to every aspect but this!

post #922 of 9118 Old 12-07-2006, 09:42 AM
25S

Quote:

No problem I think the best way to get through to sony is with this information. When we contact sony we will be able to tell them We have X number of sets with X serial numbers and they are defective.
post #923 of 9118 Old 12-07-2006, 09:56 AM

I just talk to a tech guy and he said to try: settings

power saver : high

backlight : about 5-7

light sensor : turn on

HE said this might help a lot with people screen that are not that bad. I seen some that are really bad but some are o.k and this should help a lot. I'm at work right know so I cant try it. If someone is next to there t.v please try it and let us know. I return 2 t.v with the same issue. I love the t.v but can not stand the cloudy. my is kdl-40xbr2 AUG. Mexico. If this dose not work I will return it and say forget about Sony. Why should we make more money for them if they don't care about are business. I still can not belive people will still keep them and see what happens. For what people you see what they are doing for the people who have a 30 day window and are able to return it. NOthing!!! and you think you are lucky that they might help you. Yeah right. They don't care! We are not suppose to try out the t.v to see if they work. You pay x amount of money to try out the t.v. What are we Consumer Reports. We should all return the t.v. not even wait for them to fix the t.v. Just buy a t.v that looks good right out of the box. We should not even have to call a tech guy. what is are time worth? We get rude people on the phone from sony and they forget who pays them there paycheck. we the people that buy xbr2 or xbr3. We return them all and don't buy again from sony them those rude people will not have a job. sony will have to change. They care more about ps3 then about us.
post #924 of 9118 Old 12-07-2006, 10:03 AM

Quote:

Agreed. It's time to go grass roots on Sony's ass. I'll be writing and I encourage everyone that has posted here to do so. I we can get it on Digg that'll be a huge plus for our side.

Listed in upcoming stories on DIGG as of right now (10am MST)
post #925 of 9118 Old 12-07-2006, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fher View Post

I just talk to a tech guy and he said to try: settings

power saver : high

backlight : about 5-7

light sensor : turn on

Them telling you that infuriates me to no end. All those settings do is MASK the problem. It DOES NOT solve it. Those settings are NOT a solution Sony! They make programming look dark and colors mute. Pisses me off.
post #926 of 9118 Old 12-07-2006, 10:04 AM

I'm in.

Member michael3314
Model KDL-46XBR2
Build date Sept 06
Serial 80206XX
Event ID E32737187
post #927 of 9118 Old 12-07-2006, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stogie1020 View Post

Listed in upcoming stories on DIGG as of right now (10am MST)

No sh*t? Totally awesome!
post #928 of 9118 Old 12-07-2006, 10:11 AM

Go to http://www.digg.com/ and search for 'sony xbr2'. That'll take you to the post. If you don't have an account with digg sign up so you can add to the diggs. Post comments too. Excellent title by the way.

"Sony dismisses customer complaints, refuses to acknowledge defects"
post #929 of 9118 Old 12-07-2006, 10:17 AM
25S

Member 25S
Serial# 80303XX

Member Swizzir

Member: landez
Model # KDL-46XBR2

Member michael3314
Model KDL-46XBR2
Build date Sept 06
Serial 80206XX
Event ID E32737187
post #930 of 9118 Old 12-07-2006, 10:19 AM

Does anyone have experience with the BB return policy. I bought the 4 year extended warranty and also was told that I had until January 24th to return or exchange the TV due to the extended holiday return policy. I love everything about the TV except for this problem. I would like to exchange it for one that works if the December or January builds are better. I am wondering if exchanging it after the Jan deadline will be as easy under the warranty plan? Does anyone have any experience with them on this? Also, any ideas on what the next best TV is for replacing the 46XBR2 would be?
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Sony Bravia S Series Kdl 40s2010 40 Inch Lcd Hdtv , Sony Bravia W Series Kdl 46w5100 46 Inch Lcd Hdtv , Sony Bravia Xbr Kdl 52xbr4 52 Inch 1080p Lcd Hdtv , Lcd Hdtv
Gear in this thread

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page