Official Sony Bravia LCD Uneven Backlight/Cloudy Thread - Page 34 - AVS Forum
View Poll Results: Does your Sony 46" XBR LCD suffer from an uneven backlight or cloudy background?
YES, clouds can been seen when dark colors are displayed or when switching inputs 1,294 69.05%
NO, my screen has a perfect, fully even, backlight 580 30.95%
Voters: 1874. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 

post #991 of 9118 Old 12-07-2006, 04:32 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by tacobandit View Post

But guess what I can return my set, and many of you can as well. Dissapointing it may be, but again that's the emotional territory. Sony says it's normal, and it's well within your power to return it - deciding that their "normal" is not acceptable... just as some my choose LCD tech is unacceptable because of the stuck pixel probability. That's totally fair.

I agree with a lot of what you say except that I think a lot of the more vocal/exasperated people on this board are people that didn't notice the problem until after their 30-day return policies had expired, leaving them without that critical recourse. If I were in that position, I would be upset too. Maybe you can blame it on them for not discovering the problem sooner, but this is definitely the kind of problem that can be overlooked for a while since it is only noticable in dark scenes. However, once you notice it, it would be impossible to ignore and will all but ruin your experience. I can definitely understand why these people are upset.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #992 of 9118 Old 12-07-2006, 04:40 PM

I just got back from Best Buy where I RETURNED my 46XBR2 for good! It was a tough decision, made even more difficult because I had the Thanksgiving sale price locked in. But, I will bide my time until either Sony fixes the problem or I find an alternative that I'm satisfied with. It's better to have an expensive TV that I'm satisfied with than a slightly less expensive TV that I hate...

I hope everyone else resolves their issues to their satisfaction quickly. I also hope Sony fixes this problem fast because other than the cloudiness, it's a great TV.
post #993 of 9118 Old 12-07-2006, 05:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by swizzir View Post

I don't know how Joe Q Consumer can do that but if you missed this article it's pretty interesting.

Yeah it's not like we can like waltz into their departments that aren't trained or required to deal with the customer, but if we back Sony into a corner they would have no choice but to give in or lose credibility. For example:

Joe Q Consumer: Yeah, there's clodiness in my 46XBR2 that i'd like fixed.
Sony: Um actually that's normal in low light, try these settings: xyz
Joe Q Consumer: Actually it's so bad I'm pretty sure this wouldn't pass QC
Sony: We had a tech out there, it does.
Joe Q Consumer: The tech could be mistaken, I didn't see him measure the mura he only eyeballed it.
Sony: He'd know.
Joe Q Consumer: I don't believe it. Could you please show me the QC guidelines for Mura and have your tech come back out with the appropriate equipment to measure it to verify that this is an acceptable mura?
Sony: That's inapropriate
Joe Q Consumer: Really? So basicly this Mura could be way out of bounds of acceptable, and yet you'll stubbornly believe the subjective assessment of one tech's opinion? That seems more innapropriate than simply proving to me that this TV is within specification... If it is I'll gladly close this issue.

If Sony would refuse such a reasonable request to put their words to the test they'd lose credibility and it woludn't really matter if they're lying or not.

Quote:

http://www.hispanicbusiness.com/news...iness-news.asp

These paragraphs are the most interesting.

"Early on, Sony also had concerns about quality. The company not only dispatched its own engineers to the joint venture to vet LCD displays, it also insisted that every panel it used be shipped through its LCD-TV factory in Inazawa, near Nagoya, Japan. There the panels went through another rigorous quality check before electronics such as digital tuners, power units, and other components were added. Only then were they packaged into TVs or shipped off as modules to assembly plants in Spain and Mexico.

Bravia New World
Now, however, panels are being shipped directly from S-LCD to the assembly plants. And even Sony execs concede the venture has been instrumental in the company's introduction of the hugely successful Bravia LCD-TV lineup, a rare bit of good news at the Japanese company."

I think Sony needs to send their engineers back.

Hmm, that is interesting. There's no doubt that these TV's are in heavy demand though, I guess Sony can afford to be arrogant at this point, obviously, not enough people have complained or returned them.
post #994 of 9118 Old 12-07-2006, 05:59 PM
25S

I have good News I just got back from the sony Style store in tampa, FL. I had arranged to swap my tv when the "new shipment" came in. Well I got a call from the store manager tonight He got a 46xbr2 in told me I could bring my set in and exchange it. 5 min after I got off the phone the set was in the box ready to go back. When I got to the store I addressed my concerns to the store manager about getting another "lemon" he was very understanding and allowed me to set up the tv in the back of the store and test it out. It is great no visible clouding. I boxed it back up and now it's sitting on my tv stand. I've attached a pic of it
the build date is NOV2006 and a ser# 80395XX.
There are good sets out there!!!!!!!!!!! Oh, I'm getting the extended warranty too.
post #995 of 9118 Old 12-07-2006, 06:05 PM

what ISO did u take it in? try 200 and see if it looks any diff if not god thats SEXY BLACK!
post #996 of 9118 Old 12-07-2006, 06:06 PM

hope the v2500s have some good ones, i hope dec/jan builds wont have clouds
post #997 of 9118 Old 12-07-2006, 06:09 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I have a repair tech scheduled to come out next Tuesday. I'll let you all know what he says or what solution they propose. Sony knows that I don't accept their junk. When something is wrong I make them fix it. This TV will be no exception.

"PLEASE HELP STOP HDTV ABUSE! FEED YOUR HDTV AN HD SIGNAL!"
post #998 of 9118 Old 12-07-2006, 06:10 PM

congrats 25s, maybe there is hope for us all...
post #999 of 9118 Old 12-07-2006, 06:25 PM

Here you go everyone. For comparison.

25S can you make sure light sensor is off and power saving is off too? I want to e-mail these pictures to Sony but I want to make sure you have roughly the same settings I do. I'm using petmic10's settings.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...&&#post8867644

I assume the DSC02341 (Medium).jpg picture is yours. Can you try and mimic the light in the room as much as possible and take another picture of your new set? This is the type of ammunition we need.
post #1000 of 9118 Old 12-07-2006, 06:40 PM
25S

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9ks2k View Post

what ISO did u take it in? try 200 and see if it looks any diff if not god thats SEXY BLACK!

ISO 200
In the pic it looks a little lighter on the right side But I can't see that when I'm looking at it with the naked eye

All the lights in my living room are off and I'm starring at the sweet smooth Blank input.
post #1001 of 9118 Old 12-07-2006, 06:53 PM
25S

Quote:

Here you go everyone. For comparison.

25S can you make sure light sensor is off and power saving is off too? I want to e-mail these pictures to Sony but I want to make sure you have roughly the same settings I do. I'm using petmic10's settings.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...&&#post8867644

I assume the DSC02341 (Medium).jpg picture is yours. Can you try and mimic the light in the room as much as possible and take another picture of your new set? This is the type of ammunition we need.

DSC02341 was taken with at 9:26am with my blinds closed camera in Twilight mode I'll take another of my new set at the same time tomorrow same settings.
post #1002 of 9118 Old 12-07-2006, 06:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 25S View Post

DSC02341 was taken with at 9:26am with my blinds closed camera in Twilight mode I'll take another of my new set at the same time tomorrow same settings.

Can you tell me for certain that the picture of your new set has light sensor and power saving off? If so I'm e-mailing the photos to Sony tier 2 tech support tonight.
post #1003 of 9118 Old 12-07-2006, 07:03 PM
25S

Quote:

Can you tell me for certain that the picture of your new set has light sensor and power saving off? If so I'm e-mailing the photos to Sony tier 2 tech support tonight.

DSC02374 is light sensor off power saving off ISO 200
post #1004 of 9118 Old 12-07-2006, 07:10 PM

Alright. I e-mailed my guy at Sony tier 2 tech support 25S's before and after pics. We'll see what happens.
post #1005 of 9118 Old 12-07-2006, 07:11 PM

yeah theres a HUge diff if power savings is on and light sensor
post #1006 of 9118 Old 12-07-2006, 07:30 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9ks2k View Post

yeah theres a HUge diff if power savings is on and light sensor

Yes, it's too dark.
post #1007 of 9118 Old 12-07-2006, 07:32 PM

I just posted a review on Amazon as well... Although I ended up with a good set, I just don't think Sony should be getting away with this.

My October set was far from perfect.
post #1008 of 9118 Old 12-07-2006, 08:09 PM

hmm ill wait till jan then ill trade mine in
post #1009 of 9118 Old 12-07-2006, 09:14 PM

Well, I just set my unit back up after having it laying flat for over 24 hours. While it initially seemed that the set was in better shape, after about an hour of viewing, the white spot and clouds were back again. I wish I knew what was causing this defect, whether it was inherent in the panels themselves or if it was the assembly of the housing for these units, but it really is annoying. I think I'll be returning mine and calling it quits. Spending this much money isn't supposed to give you an ulcer. Well, maybe it is...but not for these reasons.
post #1010 of 9118 Old 12-07-2006, 09:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonydude1966 View Post

Yes, it's too dark.

All the blacks are muddy with no detail when you adjust the settings to the Sony "no problem" values. If I wanted that I would have purchased a set at 1/2 the price.
post #1011 of 9118 Old 12-07-2006, 09:56 PM

Anyone from Canada or the GTA in here with these problems?

I went by both Future Shop and Best Buy tonight to take a look at their displays and viola the clouding is there. Not as bad as mine but enough to get the sales people looking and wondering.

Best Buy manager indicated that nobody has returned a set but that one of the GTA stores had a bad case and Sony Canada was quick to remedy it.

In the GTA there are only 3 auth. Sony shops that handle these units.

I have one tech. scheduled to come out this weekend.

I will report back once he is finsihed.

And on another note, I purchased at BB and my 30 days have passed. The manager said if it is not resolved with Sony, they will work something out for me. That is good CS.
post #1012 of 9118 Old 12-08-2006, 12:46 AM

I have never owned an LCD TV before, my last tv was a 19" Sharp from years ago. So last week I got the 46" XBR3 and was dissapointed to see the same problem mentioned on this thread. I have attached a photo of the problem, which is clearly visible on the left side. If I didn't see this thread, I would have thought this is normal for LCDs and would have let it go because everything else is so great. This is really dissapointing. I was all set to order digital cable, and get an HD-DVD player for this tv, and now what, I have to go back to my old 19" tv? That is cruel! Worse than that, is that I bought this set mostly using my Sony points which expire at the end of the year, and so I have to buy something SONY, and I don't need anything else besides a TV. How ridiculous is that?

I also logged a call with Sony support last week, and the guy said he never heard of that before, and they'd have to send someone to take a look, at which point I told him to forget it as I'll just return the set to Magnolia.
post #1013 of 9118 Old 12-08-2006, 01:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by diegoborgh View Post

This reminds me of when Apple had this battery issues with their iPods, and they didn't do anything until they got an action class lawsuit, then they recalled them. Is this what we have to do to get this solved?

I remember this, there was a news report on 60 Minutes on that.

When a iPod's battery died, it could not be replaced & the iPod would be DOA.
This one guy was pissed when he found this out & that Apple flat out refused to fix/replace or remedy the situation.
He then went on a crusade posting on message boards, spreading the word, placing posters on walls & near stores telling people this & making a huge campaign out of it.
It worked so much that it affected iPod sales & only after that did Apple had to completely redesign the iPod for the battery problem.

Also like the guy a few posts back said on people who swimming near a chemical factory and getting cancer.
Big companies have been known to sell products/etc. that knowingly killed people & did not change a thing because it would cut into their profits.
Only after numerous deaths & lawsuits did they accept blame.

Same thing with Sony, the TV could blow up & kill a few dozen people & Sony won't do a damn thing about it untill they find out that lawsuits resulting from it will cut into their profits, so people shouldn't really be defending Sony here at all.
They do NOT care for their customers at all.
post #1014 of 9118 Old 12-08-2006, 02:41 AM

Just spoken to my supplier.

After speaking to a Sony Engineer yesterday who confirmed they knew about the issue. He has now spoken to Sony again, and the official line is "they have no known issues with these sets".

So, it's off back in the box and i'm getting a full refund. I would strongly recommend anyone else still within there return period to do the same.

Maybe then they'll actually do something about it, when all the sets start comming back.

If anyone from Sony is reading this: "Sort your $hit out... this is the sort of thing that kills a brand!"
post #1015 of 9118 Old 12-08-2006, 03:34 AM

Just spoken to my supplier.

After speaking to a Sony Engineer yesterday who confirmed they knew about the issue. He has now spoken to Sony again, and the official line is "they have no known issues with these sets".

So, it's off back in the box and i'm getting a full refund. I would strongly recommend anyone else still within there return period to do the same.

Maybe then they'll actually do something about it, when all the sets start comming back.

If anyone from Sony is reading this: "Sort your $hit out... this is the sort of thing that kills a brand!"
post #1016 of 9118 Old 12-08-2006, 03:36 AM

Just had the supplier on again. Apparently theres a new batch comming in next week that were made a few weeks ago.

How many of you guys have got the Nov 06 ones?.. Is it worth me getting one of those, or should i just send it back?
post #1017 of 9118 Old 12-08-2006, 04:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wtfer View Post

I remember this, there was a news report on 60 Minutes on that.

When a iPod's battery died, it could not be replaced & the iPod would be DOA.
This one guy was pissed when he found this out & that Apple flat out refused to fix/replace or remedy the situation.
He then went on a crusade posting on message boards, spreading the word, placing posters on walls & near stores telling people this & making a huge campaign out of it.
It worked so much that it affected iPod sales & only after that did Apple had to completely redesign the iPod for the battery problem.

Also like the guy a few posts back said on people who swimming near a chemical factory and getting cancer.
Big companies have been known to sell products/etc. that knowingly killed people & did not change a thing because it would cut into their profits.
Only after numerous deaths & lawsuits did they accept blame.

Same thing with Sony, the TV could blow up & kill a few dozen people & Sony won't do a damn thing about it untill they find out that lawsuits resulting from it will cut into their profits, so people shouldn't really be defending Sony here at all.
They do NOT care for their customers at all.

I mentioned in an earlier post about getting another vendor to replace a TV with a bad line doubler. I also mentioned we organized ourselves and pooled our resources. One of the things we did was hit every AV site we could find and warn people of the defect before they purchased the set. We divided the sites up and each person would check them everyday and reply to any post that even mentioned the vendors name or the model number. If it was the name, we mentioned how customer service was ignoring us. If was the model, we reported the defect. We gave them a link back to the original post (like this one) and just asked them to read it before they spent their hard earned money. We were convinced that if our TVs were not going to be fixed or replaced, we could drive enough people away that it would affect their sales. It did work.

That's why I agree with your post. Hit them where it counts.
post #1018 of 9118 Old 12-08-2006, 05:11 AM

If I have the BB extended warranty, I should not have to worry if I get the set back to BB within the 30 days, correct, or is it more of a hassle to return to BB after that? I'm hoping we see a trend with the November builds.
post #1019 of 9118 Old 12-08-2006, 05:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetp View Post

If I have the BB extended warranty, I should not have to worry if I get the set back to BB within the 30 days, correct, or is it more of a hassle to return to BB after that? I'm hoping we see a trend with the November builds.

My experience is that BB will take it back with or without the extended warranty as long as you are within the 30 day period. However, if you go beyond this then you have no recourse but to deal with Sony repair, and that is an awful group to rely on. At this time Sony will do nothing as they state that the 'cloud' issue is normal.
post #1020 of 9118 Old 12-08-2006, 05:38 AM
Advanced Member

FWIW, I just purchased a Panasonic TC-32LX60 (32") LCD TV and it, and its replacement (2nd set) have the exact same problem (clouding) you guys are having. Mine were also "Assembled in Mexico Sept 2006".

Coincidence? Or is Panasonic also using the same panels (or at least made in the same plant) than Sony?
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Sony Bravia S Series Kdl 40s2010 40 Inch Lcd Hdtv , Sony Bravia W Series Kdl 46w5100 46 Inch Lcd Hdtv , Sony Bravia Xbr Kdl 52xbr4 52 Inch 1080p Lcd Hdtv , Lcd Hdtv
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page