Official Sony Bravia LCD Uneven Backlight/Cloudy Thread - Page 43 - AVS Forum
View Poll Results: Does your Sony 46" XBR LCD suffer from an uneven backlight or cloudy background?
YES, clouds can been seen when dark colors are displayed or when switching inputs 1,294 69.05%
NO, my screen has a perfect, fully even, backlight 580 30.95%
Voters: 1874. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 

post #1261 of 9118 Old 12-11-2006, 06:26 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I just posted this review on CC (slightly watered down for their likings) and Amazon (full power). We will see if it makes on! How do you like it?

The title on Amazon is:
fabrique en México

I have been a long time Sony fan. I have owned a lot of their products, including many of their XBR's. This TV has the potential to be the best HDTV on the market. However, the reverse side tells a sorry story. I cannot remember the last time I turned over a Japanese product and saw fabrique en México, can you? That's like buying a Lexus made in Mexico. I purchased this TV in hopes of having another outstanding high performance HD XBR but got nothing in return for my thousands of dollars but clouds from a blotchy bleeding backlight that is visible on every single input and in some cases on every single scene. I have now exchanged my set not once, not twice, but THREE times only to come up with a set that has a "minor" amount of clouds. These clouds are a symptom of very poor quality control during the manufacturing process. The blotchy clouds also affect Sony's partner Samsung, as they share the LCD panel. Sony is aware of the issue, but seemingly doing nothing to correct it nor make the thousands of people who purchased a defective set happy. Please do your research before buying this TV. Search for MY 50+ page thread on the AVS forum to find the most up-to-date info the set and what Sony is doing or not doing to correct the defect. At this point in time I cannot recommend this TV.

"PLEASE HELP STOP HDTV ABUSE! FEED YOUR HDTV AN HD SIGNAL!"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1262 of 9118 Old 12-11-2006, 06:31 PM

I have a bunch of mini clouds.

post #1263 of 9118 Old 12-11-2006, 07:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetp View Post

Thanks Swizzer. I am sure all of these example will be helpful for new readers just experiencing this nightmare. Although I now feel satisfied with my cloud-free July build, I will remain reading this thread, and contribute where I can, as I am too curious to know what happens from here, provided the rest of you don't mind me hanging around - I will also refrain from rubbing my good set in your noses, as I know exactly what people with bad sets are experiencing, after a month and a half dealing with two cloudy October sets. I was lucky that Best buy was very understanding, and even more lucky that a Demo July set was sitting on their floor, which they let me exchange my bad set for two days ago.

Sweetp,
What is the serial # on your July set? Since my July set is showing some of the cloudiness, I'm wondering if there was a change sometime in July.. Also, could you take a longer exposure as well so we have a comparitive shot in this forum as well? It would help to have a good clean shot of a solid smooth background to have discussions with Sellers and/or Sony. Thanks...

Jay S.
post #1264 of 9118 Old 12-11-2006, 07:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayS99 View Post

Sweetp,
What is the serial # on your July set? Since my July set is showing some of the cloudiness, I'm wondering if there was a change sometime in July.. Also, could you take a longer exposure as well so we have a comparitive shot in this forum as well? It would help to have a good clean shot of a solid smooth background to have discussions with Sellers and/or Sony. Thanks...

Jay S.

My July set set has a serial number of 8001907, manufactured in Mexico. I'll try to get a picture a little later. What is your S/N?
post #1265 of 9118 Old 12-11-2006, 07:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by swizzir View Post

Cool Jay, thanks. Which setting would you say does the best job of accurately showing what your set looks like to your eyes?

Seizzir,
Well after about an hour on its front laying flat on a table (protected with a folded sheet on the table), it now looks much more like the center picture I posted. I suppose the the "de-stressing" has some effect. These is viewed after running the set for a few hours after having it on its front. Whether or not it will come back stronger, I don't know, but it is better than what it was. I may try the overnight de-stressing routine, but in the meantime, I've opened a ticket with Sony as well. We'll see where this leads us all. I don't intend on having to lay my LCD flat panel down for a nap once a week to keep things tamed..

Jay S.
post #1266 of 9118 Old 12-11-2006, 07:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by miniz View Post

I just posted this review on CC (slightly watered down for their likings) and Amazon (full power). We will see if it makes on! How do you like it?

The title on Amazon is:
fabrique en México

I have been a long time Sony fan. I have owned a lot of their products, including many of their XBR's. This TV has the potential to be the best HDTV on the market. However, the reverse side tells a sorry story. I cannot remember the last time I turned over a Japanese product and saw fabrique en México, can you? That's like buying a Lexus made in Mexico. I purchased this TV in hopes of having another outstanding high performance HD XBR but got nothing in return for my thousands of dollars but clouds from a blotchy bleeding backlight that is visible on every single input and in some cases on every single scene. I have now exchanged my set not once, not twice, but THREE times only to come up with a set that has a "minor" amount of clouds. These clouds are a symptom of very poor quality control during the manufacturing process. The blotchy clouds also affect Sony's partner Samsung, as they share the LCD panel. Sony is aware of the issue, but seemingly doing nothing to correct it nor make the thousands of people who purchased a defective set happy. Please do your research before buying this TV. Search for MY 50+ page thread on the AVS forum to find the most up-to-date info the set and what Sony is doing or not doing to correct the defect. At this point in time I cannot recommend this TV.

I think that's brilliant. It's succinct, factual, and poignant! I'm really let down by the whole fabrique en Mexico thing, too. In all honesty, I've never looked at a "Made in Mexico" label as synonymous with "High Quality".

GT: irunnoft
post #1267 of 9118 Old 12-11-2006, 07:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Seizzir,
Well after about an hour on its front laying flat on a table (protected with a folded sheet on the table), it now looks much more like the center picture I posted. I suppose the the "de-stressing" has some effect. These is viewed after running the set for a few hours after having it on its front. Whether or not it will come back stronger, I don't know, but it is better than what it was. I may try the overnight de-stressing routine, but in the meantime, I've opened a ticket with Sony as well. We'll see where this leads us all. I don't intend on having to lay my LCD flat panel down for a nap once a week to keep things tamed..

Jay S.

If you try an overnight de-stressing, let us know if it seems to work. If so, let us know if it starts to return to its cloudy state.

post #1268 of 9118 Old 12-11-2006, 07:28 PM

I was minutes away from plunking my "hard earned" on a 46" XBR when I did one last Google search and found this forum.

I was willing to pay the Sony premium in order to obtain what I expected to be a premium quality product.

I had come to the conclusion that I NEEDED a 46" XBR, but upon reading the litany of grief many have suffered ..... I came to the conclusion that I did not need all the aggravation that might well result.

Right now, I am breathing a sigh of relief.

Before I next contempalte a purchase, I will wait a while to see if Sony:

a). fix the problem

b). make good on the defective sets many of you have been saddled with.

Thanks to all who have shared their knowledge and experiences.
And many thanks for the words of caution
post #1269 of 9118 Old 12-11-2006, 07:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irunnoft View Post

Here's a question I'd like answered: has anybody who's destressed the panel by laying it flat had their TV go back to being cloudy? I know some people have posted that it made their sets somewhat better or altogether "cured" them. What I'd like to know is if this seems to be more of a temporary fix or whether it seems to be a lasting fix. Anybody who's destressed their TV, please sound off.

I would also like this question answered...pleaseeee
post #1270 of 9118 Old 12-11-2006, 07:40 PM

I just return the set. After (2 1/2)weeks had it and accidently do a google search found this thread. Luckly it not over 30 days yet otherwise i have to deal this yunk i'm so piss an expensive tv but the quality is suck.
I'm not going to buy another LCD Sony even they drop the price. After this I consider to buy plasma now .Myset was built on Sept.
post #1271 of 9118 Old 12-11-2006, 07:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by miniz View Post

The title on Amazon is:
fabrique en México

Great Job! could not agree more. I am so thankful to find this thread you guys are doing a great job. Unfortunately looks like another case of buyer beware. Good thing I did not get my set yet and from the looks of it now I am not going to get one for a while. I completely agree with the "Made in Mexico" issue. At this time I still have a "Made in Japan" Sony which I bought in December of 1991 as one of the top of the line TVs. Picture is still amazing and the set works great. I also have a 32 XBR bought about 3 years ago which is absolutely wonderful as well. KDL-40XBR2 or 3 was going to be my first LCD but that changed now. Going to wait till the issue is resolved. Thank you again for all the input and keep up the great job.

"Sabrina dont just stare at it, Eat it!"
post #1272 of 9118 Old 12-11-2006, 07:56 PM

[Well, I tried to take some pics with a digital camera of my July set, but I think they're a little dark. I will try some more another time and try to get a longer exposure, so you can see the "glow" a little better, which may or may not show some subtle clouding, but nothing noticeable watching programs. You can see a very subtle cloud just below the video input label, but very dim in the pictures. I can't really see it in person. Again, this is a Best Buy demo July set set with a serial number of 8001907, manufactured in Mexico.
post #1273 of 9118 Old 12-11-2006, 08:28 PM

Quote:

Well, I tried to take some pics with a digital camera of my July set, but I think they're a little dark.

I think that's a damn fine looking panel you've got there. I'd love to have that one.
post #1274 of 9118 Old 12-11-2006, 08:30 PM

I don't know if it matter at this point but we've still got a digg story up. Go digg it if you so desire.

http://www.digg.com/hardware/Sony_di...wledge_defects
post #1275 of 9118 Old 12-11-2006, 08:39 PM

Quote:

So, Crutchfield is swapping out a defective/cloudy XBR for you? Did you have to jump through any hoops to make this swap happen? Any cost to you, the buyer? Please let me know as I was considering a purchase through them.

Thanks

I just return the set from Crutchfield 2. They credit back to my account cause i dont want another Junk sony
post #1276 of 9118 Old 12-11-2006, 08:44 PM

Quote:

[Well, I tried to take some pics with a digital camera of my July set, but I think they're a little dark. I will try some more another time and try to get a longer exposure, so you can see the "glow" a little better, which may or may not show some subtle clouding, but nothing noticeable watching programs. You can see a very subtle cloud just below the video input label, but very dim in the pictures. I can't really see it in person. Again, this is a Best Buy demo July set set with a serial number of 8001907, manufactured in Mexico.

Sweetp,
Judging from the dimness of the Sony logo and the fact you can actually read the Input # 8 and Video , I'm guessing that was a relatively short exposure... maybe a 1/30th? Yes a longer exposure will help (see the times I used for my three images).
Also, mine is a lower serial #, manufactured in Mexico, July 2006, which means it is earlier than yours which let's out that part of the theory as well.

Jay S.
post #1277 of 9118 Old 12-11-2006, 08:48 PM

Quote:

If you try an overnight de-stressing, let us know if it seems to work. If so, let us know if it starts to return to its cloudy state.

Irunnoft,
I will. So far, still seems better than it was. I'm also wondering what settings folks are using for thing like backlight and picture. Seems like a backlight setting has an obvious impact as well.

Jay S.
post #1278 of 9118 Old 12-11-2006, 09:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 29
good news:
http://www.next-gen.biz/index.php?op...=4378&Itemid=2

That lawsuit against Microsoft for breaking the $300-$400 Xbox360 consoles via a update is still going on.
The suit is for approx. $5,000,000!

If your stuck with a defect unit & called Sony & they are refusing to fix it for you, try maybe e-mailing a lawyer somewhere online to atleast see the case.

Or try threatening to sue Sony over the phone if they don't fix it for you.

You would have a 100% legitimate case.
post #1279 of 9118 Old 12-11-2006, 09:02 PM

Out on a limb here perhaps but,

Please no flames. Just a personal opinion. I'm not ready to throw away what is arguably the best LCD I've seen made so far for a different problem. It is only in a very few circumstances (and I'm not meaning to let anyone off the hook) that you see this show up. Is it right? No. Should it be right? Yes.
We all can probably go and look at any flat panel and find something wrong with it, and they're all pretty expensive ($8000 for 1080P Plasma?). If this gets no worse than what it is (for mine), I'll try to work it out, but for 99% of the viewing it is a beautiful (no, great) picture. No one likes warts on their new puppy, including me, but I'm also sitting back and taking in everything else this set delivers. Anyone catch the Wizard of Oz on TNT HD tonight.. talk about color rendition!! It is truly not my intent to offend anyone or their personal decisions and my apologies if it did.

Jay S.
post #1280 of 9118 Old 12-11-2006, 09:26 PM

My KDL-46XBR2 (October build) has "clouds".

The CC in my area has a KDL-46XBR2 (July build) on display, however, it also has "clouds."
post #1281 of 9118 Old 12-11-2006, 09:38 PM

Quote:

Please no flames. Just a personal opinion. I'm not ready to throw away what is arguably the best LCD I've seen made so far for a different problem. It is only in a very few circumstances (and I'm not meaning to let anyone off the hook) that you see this show up. Is it right? No. Should it be right? Yes.
We all can probably go and look at any flat panel and find something wrong with it, and they're all pretty expensive ($8000 for 1080P Plasma?). If this gets no worse than what it is (for mine), I'll try to work it out, but for 99% of the viewing it is a beautiful (no, great) picture. No one likes warts on their new puppy, including me, but I'm also sitting back and taking in everything else this set delivers. Anyone catch the Wizard of Oz on TNT HD tonight.. talk about color rendition!! It is truly not my intent to offend anyone or their personal decisions and my apologies if it did.

Jay S.

No real offense taken, JS. But for me, there are other sets out there that deserve my money more than this one. I personally am going Pioneer Plasma and haven't seen any threads that mention major issues with that set that you do with this one. It hurts me, really, because I love this set otherwise.

But the bottom line is that I didn't pay almost $4000 for something I am not going to be 100% happy with. Once you know the clouds are there, there is no ignoring them, especially when you are trying to enjoy a movie and it's all you can focus on.

I also can't stand Sony's actions in regards to the issue. They know it's not normal and so does everyone else on the planet, but for them to spread word to retailers and techs all over the place to feed lines of crap like "oh, that's normal" and "i've never seen that before" is just plain insulting. I don't like being treated like a dumb consumer and that is why Sony will see my set returned. Sony needs to acknowledge my intelligence by having a conversation with me - not feeding me lines of horse crap.

So, since I am still within my 30 day window and the Pioneer seems to have nothing but stunning reviews and no complaints that I can find, I'm sacrficing my 1080p with clouds for 720p without. I've got a house full of all kinds of other Sony stuff that is rock solid. They aren't getting that kind of money from me for anything less. Goodbye, Bravia. Hello, PureVision.
post #1282 of 9118 Old 12-11-2006, 10:02 PM

I took my wife with me to three stores today to see if we could either find a July model but also to prove to myself that I would indeed be able to see the effect that so many people in this thread have shown in their pictures (plus see if the wife can see it so she doesn't think I'm just being obsessive compulsive ). It didn't take long.

We first stopped in a Future Shop (owned by Best Buy). They had a 46XBR2 on display. I couldn't get around to the back to see the manufacture date but I switched to a blank input, like was suggested here, and both myself and my wife immediately saw the clouds on the display. It helped that the section of the store wasn't lit by fluorescent lights so it was a bit darker then the rest of the store but it was obvious we were seeing the same thing I originally saw in pictures here.

A sales rep came over when he saw me switch the input and I showed him the clouds and explained what I had read here. He initially said it was just reflections but I told him to move side to side and note that the cloudiness didn't move like the reflections on the screen do. He genuinely seemed surprised, and said no other customer had pointed that out, nor had they had any returns because of it. Regardless of whether it was true or not it was both hugely disappointing to see first hand what I'd read about also somewhat comforting to know everyone was right and that I am better equipped now to know what to look for.

The next store, Vision's, had an August 2006 model on display. No appearent cloudiness but it had finger print smudges on the screen and was in a very bright, fluorescently lit area of the store so it was very hard to tell really. The sales guy seemed more interested in just making a sale then actually helping me though and he repeated that they'd sold a lot of the sets and not had one returned. A quick trip to A&B Sound to view their display 46XBR2 that also had clouds. It was less appearent from the first one, but again that might been due to the bright fluorscent lights, but the cloudiness was definately there, in the lower right hand corner. The wall mount obscured the manufacturing date so I couldn't see when it was made. That sales rep also reported having never heard of the issue.

If all the sales reps were being honest I have to wonder how many people have this issue and just realize it's just not normal? I really hope I can find a display model somewhere that doesn't have the issue. I'd love to buy the set on Boxing Day. If not I'll have to wait like everyone else for Sony to fix it, if they ever do.
post #1283 of 9118 Old 12-11-2006, 10:27 PM

I don't have any scientific evidence to back it up but I really think that most buyers will either:

a. not notice
b. think it's normal and accept it as is
c. do a quick google search which bring them to this thread

I can believe that some sales people are unfamiliar with the issue and haven't seen any sets returned. But here's the fact. A lot of new members to AVS Forum are posting to this thread. Look at the join dates of people actively participating in this thread. I'm seeing a lot of November and December joiners. That says to me that more and more XBR2 owners are noticing the defect, are coming across our thread, and taking the time to read other owners experiences and post their experiences and thoughts. I think over time it'll grow.

As more people in the know buy these sets only to find them horrible looking in some cases the returns will grow. Word of mouth will get around. I think theses things just take time and there's nothing those of us that want to or have to stick it out can do about it. The one thing that matters most is that we're consistent and vocal about our disapproval with these high-end expensive TV's. Keep returning. Keep exchanging. Keep calling. Keep posting to websites, technology blogs, whatever. We feel (and with good reason) that Sony is selling us defective sets and doing nothing to help us at this time. Keep it up. We'll get there.
post #1284 of 9118 Old 12-11-2006, 10:42 PM

That's a good point. I've lurked the AVS Forums for a few years now but I was really sold on this Sony LCD when I stumbled on this thread from the official thread on these sets. I joined just so I could see the pictures people were posting.
post #1285 of 9118 Old 12-11-2006, 10:49 PM

Has anyone come across the "LCD expert?" Maybe a reviewer in a magazine or an industry expert you've seen on TV? Anyone. My thought is it would be good for our cause to do some research and get the opinions of unbiased reviewers/experts. If we can find people that would go on record saying they think that what we're seeing is in fact excessive and defective we could use that as an effective argument for our case.

If anyone knows anything. Let us know. Any other ideas? Post them.
post #1286 of 9118 Old 12-11-2006, 11:04 PM

I kind of took my own advice and did a Google search for "LCD experts". These two names came up. Ken Werner of Insight Media and Chris Connery of DisplaySearch. I've e-mailed them both to see if we can get their opinion on the issue. Here's what I wrote:

----------------------------------------
Mr. Werner and Mr. Connery,

I came across both of your names while searching Google for "LCD experts." I'm hoping that I can have a moment of your time to answer a question. I recently purchased a Sony KDL-46XBR2. Shortly after setting up the TV I began to notice areas of "foggy", "cloudy", blotched color areas during dark scenes of TV shows and movies. A little Google searching turned up this thread at AVS Forum

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=748779

It's a fast growing thread of XBR2 owners that are seeing the same cloudy areas on their TV's. I'm sure that you don't have the time to browse the extensive set of posts so I've collected a few pictures that I feel really showcase the problem we're seeing. You can download those here

http://homepage.mac.com/meldridge/cloudytv.zip

The closest thing we can find the resembles what we're seeing is what's known as a Mura defect (http://www.magictouch.com/Mura.pdf). Being a long time owner of LCD TV's and monitors I have never come across this issue so to me it seems unusual. I could even accept a small amount but what we're seeing is, in my opinion excessive. Sony has stated that what we're seeing is normal and not a defect. We disagree. I'm hoping that I can get a professionals opinion on the issue. So my question is this: Based on what you see in the pictures do you think these LCD panels are within the range of acceptable? Thank you for your time.
post #1287 of 9118 Old 12-12-2006, 05:16 AM

Quote:

Jay S.

I tend to agree with this. Before purchasing the 46XBR2 I did quite a bit of shopping around and personal visual comparisons. There is no doubt that there are differences between LCD, Plasma, DLP, LCOS, tube. I don't think there is one that is "perfect" in every regard. So in the end it was a persoanl choice, I liked what I saw in th XBR2. I have a mild version of the clouds on my set, but to be honest it doesn't bother me that much. If I look for it, or find certain parts of certain movies that accent it then I can focus on it. But in general it doesn't detract from my viewing pleasure. I get that for some people this is a show stopper, and I respect that, but for me it's an acceptable compromise for the other great features of the set.

Maybe my set isn't as bad as some, or maybe I'm just a bit more tolerant with regard to this feature. But I did recognize that if I waited for perfection in any technical electronic device these days I'd either be waiting a l-o-n-g time or paying much more than I had to spend.

~bill
post #1288 of 9118 Old 12-12-2006, 05:41 AM

Anytime I've read reviews and stories about HDTV's which list the "Pro's & Con's" of each type of TV.... Plasma, RPT, LCD, they have all consistantly said one of the "Con's" of the LCD TV is that the black levels can't compare to a good Plasma.

OK... so "that" part is "normal".

But NONE of those reports/reviews say that one of the "con's" of an LCD panels is that it has UNEVEN backlight bleed causing CLOUDS or SPLOTCHES across the screen.

I would have considered it much more "normal" if the backlight bleed was consistant all the way across the panel.

I believe that what everyone is most upset about is this inconsistant level of bleed causing the Splotches and Clouding. This, to me, is much more noticable than if the bleed was consistant. It just makes it too obvious and stands out.

This splotching is like someone holding up those ink blots used in Psychology and then asking "What do you see in this one?"

What do I see? I see CLOUDS AND SPLOTCHES YOU IDIOT !!!!!

C'mon Sony.... FIX IT !
post #1289 of 9118 Old 12-12-2006, 06:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by swizzir View Post

I don't have any scientific evidence to back it up but I really think that most buyers will either:

a. not notice
b. think it's normal and accept it as is
c. do a quick google search which bring them to this thread

You may also add a fourth scenario (could be an extention of (b))...
d. Buyer notices clouding, bothered by it, contacts their retailer, an "expert" repairman, or even Sony directly and are (ignorantly or deceivingly) told that the clouding is "normal." The unknowing customer would take their word for it and live with it.

Unfortunately, even in today's high-tech world, not everyone surfs the web for info. I know my parents don't; they don't even have a computer.
post #1290 of 9118 Old 12-12-2006, 06:56 AM
AVS Special Member

I have a question... I'm kinda starting to go with Instantpop's idea and move towards a plasma. 75% of the time, I'd be using this TV for my PS3, Xbox 360, or Wii. I've not really considered a plasma before, but if I return the XBR2 I purchased, anybody think that a plasma is an unwise purchase given my intended use?

BTW, I'm going to try destressing the panel as a last ditch effort before I either throw in the towel or consider a replacement.

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Sony Bravia S Series Kdl 40s2010 40 Inch Lcd Hdtv , Sony Bravia W Series Kdl 46w5100 46 Inch Lcd Hdtv , Sony Bravia Xbr Kdl 52xbr4 52 Inch 1080p Lcd Hdtv , Lcd Hdtv
Gear in this thread - 52xbr4 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page