Official Sony Bravia LCD Uneven Backlight/Cloudy Thread - Page 5 - AVS Forum
View Poll Results: Does your Sony 46" XBR LCD suffer from an uneven backlight or cloudy background?
YES, clouds can been seen when dark colors are displayed or when switching inputs 1,294 69.05%
NO, my screen has a perfect, fully even, backlight 580 30.95%
Voters: 1874. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 

post #121 of 9118 Old 11-16-2006, 10:52 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by RLampke View Post

More...

Thanks for posting these pics! That's what I expect from a set that costs $3,000+!

Hopefully, this will keep those doubters who claim this cloudiness problem doesn't exist quiet.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #122 of 9118 Old 11-17-2006, 01:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by swizzir View Post

Heck yes we should.

OK, let me track down someone I know there, I'm sure we can get them to at least mention it in passing.
post #123 of 9118 Old 11-17-2006, 06:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tome View Post

That looks great. Lucky you! Wish I could have found one of those, I really liked the picture otherwise.

-Tom

Yes it is, and I was actually unaware of this issue w/I went to purchase this panel. The photos actually do not do this panel justice - it is absolutely stunning on 720p/1080i and mind-blowing running 1080p material from my laptop via VGA - WOW

Again, my only gripes coming from an XBR960 CRT is that is cannot produce deep black/blacks like CRT and there is a slight motion blur [that your eyes adjust to] compared to CRT. But I knew this going forward and it's definitely not an issue for me. I have better color now and much better resolution/bigger picture - only suffering in overall color saturation; but not by much at all - but that's LCD.

I compared a lot of high-end panels, and I went w/LCD for I do not have light control for Plasma, and the XBR3 by far was best on overall picture quality. The Sharp and the Samsung are close, but the Bravia Pro engine is fantastic after ISF Calibration and I cannot live w/the banding issue of the Sharp. It's too bad; for I really liked the Sharp.
post #124 of 9118 Old 11-17-2006, 08:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RLampke View Post

Here are some pics that represent the linear backlighting of my XBR3, and the great blacks. Again, my panel has been ISF calibrated; but as you can see, even when cranking up the backlighting/brightness - it's very linear [The white spec is not a dead pixel - rather dust on the camera lens]:

Nice setup man.

Glad that someone got a good one. I wish mine was one of the good ones but I ended up with a 50" Plasma so I got more screen.

Yours is the XBR3 mine was XBR2 wonder if the XBR2s are the ones with the problems?
post #125 of 9118 Old 11-17-2006, 08:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trendscape View Post

Should we send this thread to Engadget? I think that would get Sony to pay attention. If they have a huge number of sets to recall, perhaps what we have is another "batterygate!"

YES!
post #126 of 9118 Old 11-17-2006, 09:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Malmsteen View Post

Yours is the XBR3 mine was XBR2 wonder if the XBR2s are the ones with the problems?

i was just wondering the same thing. both "good picture" sets that we've seen are xbr3s. anyone with a good xbr2 care to post some pics?
post #127 of 9118 Old 11-17-2006, 10:13 AM

Liked: 11
I personally believe that XBR vs XBR3 shouldn't be cause for this issue as the panels and the 'engine' are the same between the models.

However, I tend to believe more on the manufacturing date on this issue unless many of those who have build in July/Aug claims to have cloud/backlight leak issue.
Looks to me that only few sets which those build date have reached the customers. Among them, I am not sure how many are in this forum and participating. Unless we have good statistical data, it is hard to come to conclusion. Sony may be the right entity to answer that

BTW, how many of us do have Sept/Oct build dates which are 'perfect'? .

____________________________________________________________________________________________

TV: Pioneer Elite 111FD & Sharp Elite 60
AVR: Yamaha V1800
Bluray Oppo BDP-105 & Pioneer BDP-05FD
Speakers: B&W 683
Sub woofer: Martin Logan Grotto
http://www.avsforum.com/lists/display/view/id/21852
post #128 of 9118 Old 11-17-2006, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by satiger View Post

I personally believe that XBR vs XBR3 shouldn't be cause for this issue as the panels and the 'engine' are the same between the models.

However, I tend to believe more on the manufacturing date on this issue unless many of those who have build in July/Aug claims to have cloud/backlight leak issue.
Looks to me that only few sets which those build date have reached the customers. Among them, I am not sure how many are in this forum and participating. Unless we have good statistical data, it is hard to come to conclusion. Sony may be the right entity to answer that

BTW, how many of us do have Sept/Oct build dates which are 'perfect'? .

Me [Oct '06] - but better to start a new pole perhaps requesting this info.
post #129 of 9118 Old 11-17-2006, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyber Chulo View Post

Whoa dude, that's pretty bad. I'll post my 46" tonight.

Thats not even a sony?? why even post it in this thread?
post #130 of 9118 Old 11-17-2006, 12:48 PM

OT
post #131 of 9118 Old 11-17-2006, 12:49 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by blklacker View Post

Thats not even a sony?? why even post it in this thread?

Because it's the EXACT same panel, made in the same plant. The XBR2/S2000/xx96D series all use the exact same panels.
post #132 of 9118 Old 11-17-2006, 12:50 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

I just dont understand why people are complaining about PQ when no signal is going into the TV??? I have yet to see this issue when a signal is going into the TV I just would like to see a picture to confirm it?

No need to resort to name calling??

Well, I don't have any photos, but, it's pretty easy to see through the entire films of: Blade Runner, Batman Begins, Se7en and through the entire series of Battlestar Galactica during any space scenes. Need more?
post #133 of 9118 Old 11-17-2006, 12:52 PM
Advanced Member

[Quote deleted]

God I wish people who DON'T HAVE THE PROBLEM would shut up about it. If you can't see it during movies/shows that are dark, then great, YOU DON'T HAVE THE PROBLEM. But those of us who have the problem DO SEE IT.
post #134 of 9118 Old 11-17-2006, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmeader View Post

Well, I don't have any photos, but, it's pretty easy to see through the entire films of: Blade Runner, Batman Begins, Se7en and through the entire series of Battlestar Galactica during any space seens. Need more?

I have yet to see any picture post of a xbr show uneven back light while a signal was going into it. Could someone please post a picture of their xbr with uneven back light while a signal is being played thank you!!!

I just wanted to see an example!!!
post #135 of 9118 Old 11-17-2006, 12:59 PM

Quote:

God I wish people who DON'T HAVE THE PROBLEM would shut up about it. If you can't see it during movies/shows that are dark, then great, YOU DON'T HAVE THE PROBLEM. But those of us who have the problem DO SEE IT.

Do you have a samsung or sony??
post #136 of 9118 Old 11-17-2006, 01:04 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

I have yet to see any picture post of a xbr show uneven back light while a signal was going into it. Could someone please post a picture of their xbr with uneven back light while a signal is being played thank you!!!

I just wanted to see an example!!!

Look dude, for starters, the image I posted IS with a signal going into it. It's a dark scene, but that's because it's easiest to capture with a camera that way. Trust me, when watching a movie, it's very easy to see if it's dark material. Anyone else will probably tell you the same thing.

As for the harping on whether it's a Sony or a Samsung, what part about "it's the exact same panel" don't you get? The issue is the PANEL, which is identical across all three product lines that I mentioned, hence people with the S2000/96D/XBR2-3 all seeing the same thing. It doesn't matter if I own a Samsung or a Sony... with the exception of the processing electronics in the set, they are the exact same panel.

Also, because of having THREE sets with the exact same issue, I no longer have a TV using this panel and have gone with the Sharp instead. I'd get you more pictures if I could, but no longer have a TV with this problem (because it doesn't use this panel) to do it with. Just sharing my experience to back up the others' claims that you seem to have such a problem with.
post #137 of 9118 Old 11-17-2006, 01:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by swizzir View Post

Dude""""you're""""stupid. Go somewhere else.

Nice one
post #138 of 9118 Old 11-17-2006, 01:15 PM
Advanced Member

Also, blklacker, check out posts #90 and #91... there's pictures right there. What more exactly are you looking for?
post #139 of 9118 Old 11-17-2006, 01:55 PM

As I have mentioned before, I have a KDL-40V2500 with a significant cloudy backlight problem. I went to BestBuy today to exchange for a set without the problem. So after opening three other sets, and hooking them up, the problem was on all three sets as well (to varying degrees, but nowhere near satisfactory since I could easily see it in the brightly lit BB home theater area and they were all manufactured Oct 2006). Two of the three also had stuck pixels which really makes me wonder. I am definitely going to have to follow up on this with Sony as I can not expect Best Buy to open and repackage every set in stock until I find one.
post #140 of 9118 Old 11-17-2006, 06:20 PM

Quote:

Also, blklacker, check out posts #90 and #91... there's pictures right there. What more exactly are you looking for?

Look you guys can flame on me all you want. I have looked at post #90 and #91 of all xbr threads their are no pictures? if im was in the wrong thread please post correct thread showing a xbr2/3 displaying a SIGNAL confirming uneven backlight.

This is my point!!! I dont care about any other models except xbr2/3.

Looking threw all the threads I have yet to see a uneven back light issue with this set "WHILE A SIGNAL IS GOING THREW IT".

I could care less about other models of TV's I just wanted to know if someone could post either a link or a picture of a xbr2/3 having uneven back light issues while displaying a SIGNAL.

no need to get upset guys just wanted to see what it looked like
post #141 of 9118 Old 11-17-2006, 06:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 15
my tv doesn't have this problem but when turning the tv on for the first time for the day i notice 2 beams of light on the bottom left corner of the screen about 3-4 inches in length but go away after 30 minutes after the tv has warmed up. a guess is when tv has warmed up things expand and compress and you can't see the 2 beams from the backlighting sneaking threw some small crack between something.
post #142 of 9118 Old 11-17-2006, 07:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:

Looking threw all the threads I have yet to see a uneven back light issue with this set "WHILE A SIGNAL IS GOING THREW IT".

Well if you get one of these cloudy sets, you might end up throwing something through it.
post #143 of 9118 Old 11-17-2006, 08:17 PM

Quote:

Look you guys can flame on me all you want. I have looked at post #90 and #91 of all xbr threads their are no pictures? if im was in the wrong thread please post correct thread showing a xbr2/3 displaying a SIGNAL confirming uneven backlight.

This is my point!!! I dont care about any other models except xbr2/3.

I could care less about other models of TV's I just wanted to know if someone could post either a link or a picture of a xbr2/3 having uneven back light issues while displaying a SIGNAL.

no need to get upset guys just wanted to see what it looked like

No need for flaming here.

Check out post 61 - it appears to be credits with a black background. Please tell me you can see the issue in that picture.

That black background might be a star field in BSG or Star Wars. The net effect is the same - annoying uneven blacks.

Hmmm...Posts 90 and 91 of this thread have pics attached to them. Do you not see the picture icons or is your browser not working quite right?
post #144 of 9118 Old 11-17-2006, 10:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by kontai69 View Post

For instance, it was extremely distracting to see these clouds surrounding the words "A long time ago in a galaxy far, far away..." at the very beginning of Star Wars.

Lucky for me, the problem remedied itself when I laid the set face down on a table, removed/reinstalled the back cover, and then stood it back upright. I did this out of curiosity because I wanted to see how the inside looks like. As I mentioned in the past thread, I hypothesize that this laying down may have "destressed" localized pressure points along the screen which may be causing the light patches or clouds. Just a guess.

To this day, my set still looks really good. Below is a link to a pic that I took of my screen under "extreme" conditions: the picture was taken in a completely dark room and the BACKLIGHT was at "10," which is the max setting. Other than the small patches at the upper corners, the backlight leakage/bleeding looks pretty darn uniform.

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d1...9/IMG_2815.jpg

I hope you guys can get this issue resolved with Sony.

wait wait wait... so you just unscrewed the back of the TV panel & re-screwed it back on & that FIXED THE UNEVEN BACKLIGHTING?

why isn't everyone on this thread doing this right now?
post #145 of 9118 Old 11-17-2006, 11:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wtfer View Post

wait wait wait... so you just unscrewed the back of the TV panel & re-screwed it back on & that FIXED THE UNEVEN BACKLIGHTING?

why isn't everyone on this thread doing this right now?

I think that "kontai69" did 2 things, laid the panel face down, and unscrewed the back. From his posts, he thinks that the simple act of laying the panel face down "destressed localized pressure points along the screen which may be causing the light patches or clouds". Sounds simple and harmless.
post #146 of 9118 Old 11-18-2006, 02:44 AM

Except that the moment you remove the back panel, you void the manufacturers warranty.
post #147 of 9118 Old 11-18-2006, 08:02 AM

Maybe the poll should be divided into 4 questions. It looks to me like the XBR3's don't have the "cloud" problem and the XBR2's do.
post #148 of 9118 Old 11-18-2006, 09:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by seattlite View Post

I think that "kontai69" did 2 things, laid the panel face down, and unscrewed the back. From his posts, he thinks that the simple act of laying the panel face down "destressed localized pressure points along the screen which may be causing the light patches or clouds". Sounds simple and harmless.

Keep in mind that my set is a 32" Sony LCD (KLV-32M1; July'05 build; made in Japan) and not the newer 40+" XBRs. I only paid $XXXX for mine.

Anyways, I think that laying my set face down on a table is what alleviated the cloudiness that I was seeing. In retrospect, the panel likely got "stressed" during shipment or when I picked it up by myself out of the box. I also made the mistake of laying the box sideways as I transported the TV box home. I imagine these larger 40+ inch LCDs would be even more prone to stressing, either due to shipping and/or manufacturing imperfections.

My clouding did come back when I later bumped into the TV by accident. As mentioned in a past post, I decided to rub the clouds with a microfiber cloth. This actually removed nearly all the cloudiness as can be seen in the pic in my post above. I thnk that the rubbing may have spread out the "localized stress areas" which I hypothesize may be causing the clouding. You all might give this a try; it can't hurt. Of course, use common sense when doing so: keep one hand behind the panel for support; don't press so hard that your fingers turn red, etc.

Again, to the "cloud doubters" who posted in the other threads: this cloudiness issue is VERY visible on regular TV/DVD programming whenever there were scenes with dark or black backgrounds!!! I feel like strangling the naysayers who say that the "complainers" have OCD and that the issue is only visible on a blank input.
Just wanted to rant.

Quote:
Originally Posted by redgtconv View Post

Except that the moment you remove the back panel, you void the manufacturers warranty..

True, but just don't tell Sony if you do so. At least on my set, there wasn't a tamper-proof sticker, so they won't know if you don't tell.
post #149 of 9118 Old 11-18-2006, 10:48 AM

Just another data point. Made in Mexico, August 2006. No clouding. Even with a vivid setting in an unused input. There is a hint of too much red but with normal tweaked settings (Cnet) even that is gone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by miniz View Post

Please vote if you own or did own (i.e. returned) a Sony 46" XBR2 or XBR3 LCD 1080p HDTV. Please post your TV's build date. Vote yes if you have experienced the uneven backlight or cloudly screen problem with your set. Do NOT vote if you did not or have not owned one these TV's.

Thank you!

post #150 of 9118 Old 11-18-2006, 01:32 PM

my manufactured date is oct 2006 and have the same cloud issue and I called Video ONly and returning my set and getting the money back.
it is made in mexico
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Sony Bravia S Series Kdl 40s2010 40 Inch Lcd Hdtv , Sony Bravia W Series Kdl 46w5100 46 Inch Lcd Hdtv , Sony Bravia Xbr Kdl 52xbr4 52 Inch 1080p Lcd Hdtv , Lcd Hdtv
Gear in this thread - 52xbr4 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page