Official Sony Bravia LCD Uneven Backlight/Cloudy Thread - Page 52 - AVS Forum
View Poll Results: Does your Sony 46" XBR LCD suffer from an uneven backlight or cloudy background?
YES, clouds can been seen when dark colors are displayed or when switching inputs 1,294 69.05%
NO, my screen has a perfect, fully even, backlight 580 30.95%
Voters: 1874. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 

post #1531 of 9118 Old 12-14-2006, 06:06 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
First time poster. I purchased the 46-inch XBR2 from CC a week ago, November build date, clouds. I've tried to pretend they don't exist, but they were clearly visible while watching the credits scroll at the end of a movie. I also left it in the box for 24 hours before setting it up. The Sony response sucks. I have to agree with others, if this is normal, then give me an abnormal TV.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1532 of 9118 Old 12-14-2006, 06:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonyxbr1980 View Post

Also has any one got a new tv from sony yet?

Sony sent me a new set awhile back but it was so much worse than the one I already had I refused to take the set they sent me.
post #1533 of 9118 Old 12-14-2006, 06:19 PM

did anyone get a good tv at all for that pass month?
post #1534 of 9118 Old 12-14-2006, 06:26 PM

Quote:

Ok guy so the tech came to my house day and feed me that same bull that sony has said before about turn the backlight down and get her drunk like you did in high school and then she will be ready to make love to dark movies and black screens lol lol. Well my silver lil lady still was doing her white clouds will all the fixes...... so i called Sony to see what they will do next other than lie to me again. Also has any one got a new tv from sony yet?

Also i'm trying to get the funny post award so please vote for me....... But this is really pissing me off so I just need to laugh before I start crying

sonyxbr1980...I think you deserve the funny post award.
post #1535 of 9118 Old 12-14-2006, 07:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by swizzir View Post

Sony sent me a new set awhile back but it was so much worse than the one I already had I refused to take the set they sent me.

When sony sent a new one did you get a receipt or what did you do with the bad one also i need a new tv any one out there will u help i have the pioneer but is 720p clear i mean my cable only goes up to 1080i or a sammy.
post #1536 of 9118 Old 12-14-2006, 07:19 PM

Quote:

When sony sent a new one did you get a receipt or what did you do with the bad one

I set it up and turned it on with the tech guy still there. I told him it looked worse than my original and I didn't want it. We boxed it back up and he took it away. He said he didn't care because he gets paid either way.
post #1537 of 9118 Old 12-14-2006, 07:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Ok, I just took back my 40XBR2 swapped it for a new 46XBR2 and then swapped that new 46XBR2 (build date of August) for a floor model 46XBR2 (build date of July). In effect, I just had to buy a brand new TV and then swap it for the one on display in order to get a July model TV.

Guess what? The July model I just got has a more pronounced clouding problem than the 40XBR2 I just returned. It also came with a bonus stuck green pixel that the 40XBR2 didn't have.

Now I'm really pissed off! I can either
a) trade it for the August model that I just swapped out
b) trade it for the other July floor model
c) trade it back for my 40XBR2
d) get my ****ing money back and jump off a bridge!

GT: irunnoft
post #1538 of 9118 Old 12-14-2006, 07:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irunnoft View Post

I vote for d without the jumping. If you must jump at least wait until after New Years.
post #1539 of 9118 Old 12-14-2006, 08:02 PM

Quote:

Ok, I just took back my 40XBR2 swapped it for a new 46XBR2 and then swapped that new 46XBR2 (build date of August) for a floor model 46XBR2 (build date of July). In effect, I just had to buy a brand new TV and then swap it for the one on display in order to get a July model TV.

Guess what? The July model I just got has a more pronounced clouding problem than the 40XBR2 I just returned. It also came with a bonus stuck green pixel that the 40XBR2 didn't have.

You forgot option "e", Irunnoft.

e) get the Pioneer Plasma and call it a happy day.

Let me tell you from experience that enjoying HDTV rather than worrying about your clouds is a lot easier on the ulcer
post #1540 of 9118 Old 12-14-2006, 08:25 PM

Quote:

I would definitely get your money back and call it a day and either get a plasma or wait for the next generation XBR which will probably be out in a few months. Don't jump, it isn't worth it!
post #1541 of 9118 Old 12-14-2006, 08:37 PM

My v2500 is here. It arrived in a Van (subcontracted out by Eagle Shipping) at 3:30 PM. They unpacked it and set it on the stand. I let it sit for 6 hours. I turned it on and noticed a fairly uniform appearance on a blank input (the default setting for the backlight on a blank input was 10). The build date is October (darn).

I hooked up the Comcast cable box via component and my Sony DVP75 by HDMI and reset the DVD player to 16:9 and let her rip. Standard def channels look fairly good but require a few tweaks on the settings. I set the picture mode to standard and will work out the custom mode later. The high def channels are absolutely amazing as others have said. The upconverted DVD image was also very good.

Now for the clouds issue. There are definitely clouds. Fairly mild, more noticeable over an hours time. They are prominent on a blank input and slightly noticeable on some transitions. The room was darkened. On actual viewing, they were barely noticeable most of the time. My wife said, "Well if you can't see them while watching, who cares?" Of course I am at the $2500 price point, not $3200 to $4000 like the XBR2 and XBR3 owners.

I don't know how to post pictures here. I'll try to figure it out and post a few. I don't think that waiting 24 hours is the key. After six hours, the set would have had plenty of time to get used to the temp and humidity. I agree with the guy who said that the temperature change is too small to affect the panel. My current opinion is that the cloudiness is a QC issue and that holiday demand required some lower rated panels to be used. Clearly some sets are better than others.

So far, I'm inclined to keep the set, but I'll try it out for a week and then decide. I still have to try some dark DVD's and check out the sound a bit more and see if the clouds worsen or not.
post #1542 of 9118 Old 12-14-2006, 08:48 PM

I just set mine up. It has cloudyness in the corners, except the top right.

No dead pixels. It bothers me. Is there any way to keep it to a minimum, or should I just try the Russian roulette and keep returning it?
post #1543 of 9118 Old 12-14-2006, 08:58 PM

All.....found the following two links with regards on new Bravias. Anyone have an idea on when these might be coming to the US?

http://www.cinenow.com/uk/news-2150.html

http://www.jp.sonystyle.com/Style-e...2500/index.html

Seems you can even order one of these it seems from the japanese website for about $3800(includes shipping). I might be blowing smoke out of my..... so if someone knows differently, I'd like to hear an opinion here.

Thanks.
post #1544 of 9118 Old 12-14-2006, 09:20 PM

I just posted my V2500 pictures on webshots.com in an album called "Sony 46v2500 screen shots.

I tried to add the link above, but I don't know if it will work.

All of these pictures were takenin a low light room with a CanonA85 set on no flash. I swear that the picture quality and viewing experience are minimally effected despite the two shots showing fairly diffuse clouding on a blank input. The clouding is slightly less noticeable by the naked eye in comparison the these photos.
post #1545 of 9118 Old 12-14-2006, 09:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IHateSony View Post

All.....found the following two links with regards on new Bravias. Anyone have an idea on when these might be coming to the US?

http://www.cinenow.com/uk/news-2150.html

http://www.jp.sonystyle.com/Style-e...2500/index.html

Seems you can even order one of these it seems from the japanese website for about $3800(includes shipping). I might be blowing smoke out of my..... so if someone knows differently, I'd like to hear an opinion here.

Thanks.

Looks like part v2500 - part xbr2.. with a 52 inch added .. I don't know if that means a different panel or not.

Jay S.
post #1546 of 9118 Old 12-14-2006, 09:36 PM

Quote:

Irunnoft,
You know some of this has been dead serious and some of this has been some good natured ribbing. So I'll be serious for a moment. I don't know how bad any of the others you had were. I went and looked at other sets tonight (not XBRs), then came back home to the NFL game, some National Geographic HD show, and now later the Tonight show (swear I could take one of the poinsettias off the set), and there wasn't a set I saw earlier that matches this one. None. I'm not going to 720, when more and more HD broadcast is going 1080. That just doesn't make sense. I've got zero image shadow with the XBOX 360. My clouds perhaps are not that bad, or bad enough. My concern is will they get worse, but I've had it running pretty solid for the last three weeks so I figure this is hopefully as bad as it will get. I'm still going to press on Sony, still call into support, but I'm not giving up this color and clarity.
You have to ask yourself whether going to anything else is a bigger compromise than one you had (best one I guess).. you and your spouse are the only ones that can answer that. I know that maybe does not help, but just telling you where I'm at in this... Ask me again in 3 weeks

Jay S.
post #1547 of 9118 Old 12-14-2006, 09:49 PM

I've had my 52" XBR3 for over three weeks now, and have zero clouding issues. In fact it is as good as I could hope for. Set arrived upright, no holes and minimal scuffing to box, all styrofoam inside was intact. Set is on it's stand and has never been anything but upright. No defects, no stuck or dead pixels, October build date.

Cheers,
-3Gun
post #1548 of 9118 Old 12-14-2006, 10:08 PM

On swizzlr's suggestion I went back to the store and had them show me what their default settings are, since I bought the August floor model that to the best my wiofe and I could see did not have clouds, and thankfully they were just using the 'standard' setting on the TV. So light sensor was off, power savings was off, backlight was at 7, and brightness was at 48.

We'll see when I get it on Sunday if it looks as good in the darkness at home as it did in the store. Thanks for the advice swizzlr, I appreciate it.
post #1549 of 9118 Old 12-14-2006, 10:13 PM

There are definetely Quality Control problems with these sets. They got us, consumers, used to made in china crap first now we have to get used to mexican $H!T. I guess it is cheaper to truck them than us container ships.

I got a 40" xbr2 from amazon made in august and it has some clouds. Not as much as some I have seen here but I am still debating to ship it back. I called sony tonight and made a complaint. I will ask for a tier 2 tech tomorrow when I call again.

I also had some other problem. It got shipped via Eagle xport and out of the box 1st thing I noticed was that most outer metal frame was off by 1/4" from top right corner and it was uneven by bottom right corner. It was definetely not from xport since box had no holes or damage and I could not move the metal frame from the glass. I took pics 1st. I decided to fix it myself by taking off all small screws on that side and set the frame properly into correct position and put all screws back. It worked. Look below for before pics. I will post after pics and cloudy screen as well sometime tomorrow. I think when you pay over 2K for something you want it to be in brand new condition without clouds and messed up frames.
post #1550 of 9118 Old 12-14-2006, 10:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayS99 View Post

Irunnoft,
You know some of this has been dead serious and some of this has been some good natured ribbing. So I'll be serious for a moment. I don't know how bad any of the others you had were. I went and looked at other sets tonight (not XBRs), then came back home to the NFL game, some National Geographic HD show, and now later the Tonight show (swear I could take one of the poinsettias off the set), and there wasn't a set I saw earlier that matches this one. None. I'm not going to 720, when more and more HD broadcast is going 1080. That just doesn't make sense. I've got zero image shadow with the XBOX 360. My clouds perhaps are not that bad, or bad enough. My concern is will they get worse, but I've had it running pretty solid for the last three weeks so I figure this is hopefully as bad as it will get. I'm still going to press on Sony, still call into support, but I'm not giving up this color and clarity.
You have to ask yourself whether going to anything else is a bigger compromise than one you had (best one I guess).. you and your spouse are the only ones that can answer that. I know that maybe does not help, but just telling you where I'm at in this... Ask me again in 3 weeks

Jay S.

Hey Jay what you said is so true about going down to the 720....but this is a nightmare for most of us looking for a good 3-4 grand set that is not clouding. So i dont want a new tv i want this one but if sony can't come threw I would tell every one and i mean every one....... look to a new company or check the next set out good I mean act like the tv just told you the it wanted to marry your lil girl!!!!!! 1080p is cool 1080 clouds aint. cool
post #1551 of 9118 Old 12-14-2006, 10:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack in the Box View Post

Thanks for the advice swizzlr, I appreciate it.

No problem. My fingers are crossed for you.
post #1552 of 9118 Old 12-14-2006, 10:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Node View Post

I just set mine up. It has cloudyness in the corners, except the top right.

No dead pixels. It bothers me. Is there any way to keep it to a minimum, or should I just try the Russian roulette and keep returning it?

I am almost at the point where I am going to return mine for a refund. I haven't made any exchanges yet, and I don't plan to.
post #1553 of 9118 Old 12-14-2006, 11:26 PM
AVA

Hello there,

I need some advice... About a week ago I purchased a Sony 46" XBR2 at Best Buy and sure enough saw the clouds right away. After doing some research on the internet I found this thread, which has been really helpful. My set was built in November 2006 in Mexico. Needless to say this has been a very disappointing experience, especially since Sony is supposed to be the best in LCD TVs. Unfortunately, plasma is not really an option since my house has a lot of window, so I am worried about the possible glair from the light.

After reading some of the posts, it seems like July & August versions do not display this cloudiness or mura effect. Well, I went back to Best Buy today and talked to the manager. Sure enough, he has never heard of this problem and never had anyone return these Sony TVs. Once I showed him some of the pictures that I printed from this thread, he did admit that it appeared to be a serious problem. He also mentioned that they do not have any of these Sony 46 XBR2 in stock anymore and will not be re-ordering them because from now on they will only be selling Sony XBR3 sets, which I guess have the same problems with clouds.

He showed me the last Sony 46 XBR2 that was on the display, which was built in July. Unfortunately, I was not able to see if there were any clouds on the blank input because of the bright lights in the store and this particular BB did not have the darker Magnolia room. My dilemma is whether or not I should try to swap my current TV with the one that is currently on display It just seems a bit ridiculous that I am almost begging to have a TV that has been on a display since July and turned on for 12-14 hours a day and to top it off I am paying over $3K for it! My biggest concern is that I go through all this trouble and the July set will have the same problems I believe a couple of people did post that they had mura problems with their July sets as well? Any feedback or advice will be much appreciated.
post #1554 of 9118 Old 12-14-2006, 11:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AVA View Post

After reading some of the posts, it seems like July & August versions do not display this cloudiness or mura effect.

My set has a build date of August, and it has clouds.

It's just my opinion, but I wouldn't take a floor model for the same price as a new set. Actually I am not a big fan of floor models at all...
post #1555 of 9118 Old 12-14-2006, 11:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AVA View Post

He also mentioned that they do not have any of these Sony 46 XBR2 in stock anymore and will not be re-ordering them because from now on they will only be selling Sony XBR3 sets.

If this is true of Best Buy across the board this could be a welcome development. I doubt that Best Buy or Sony would leave a gaping price point hole in the Sony lineup especially during the holiday season or the run up to the Super Bowl.

After the existing XBR2 inventory is gone I bet my left kidney a "new" XBR2 quietly slides in to place even if in all other regards it is identical.

Also, I'm quite positive that Sony and Best Buy are more then aware of this situation and are practicing containment as best they can. Hence the (more then likely temporary), discontinuation of the XBR2.
post #1556 of 9118 Old 12-15-2006, 12:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jktrading View Post

Yeah, it's all a master conspiracy between all the evil corporations. There is no other explanation. Everyone must be liars and cheats. There is no one that works in retail that are honest, they all lie for a living, those bastards. I overheard a Best Buy employee talking to another employee. "Pssst, when any customer comes in and complains about clouds, tell them we never heard of this issue, pass it on."

Oh, and my friend, the Sony employee call center guy, said that he had this memo that if anyone told the customer that 3 people per hour are calling in regarding this cloud thing, that they will get coal in their stocking, and not get the Sony prize for lying to everyone.

Conspiracy theories and your sarcasm does nothing to alleviate the fact that a lot of people got screwed on this set.
post #1557 of 9118 Old 12-15-2006, 01:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by instantpop View Post

Is there a way to mark somebody for moderation in this forum?

Yeah, click the warning icon (report post).
post #1558 of 9118 Old 12-15-2006, 01:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCIFRTHS View Post

Conspiracy theories and your sarcasm does nothing to alleviate the fact that a lot of people got screwed on this set.

Ok, here's my take on this, like it or not, here I go,

A lot of you guys have clouds on the mind. It has scarred some of you. Making everyone who comes in see clouds no matter how small. You tell people how to take the picture to show how the clouds are just all over the screen with f-stop, exposure rates, shutter speed, whatever. I think I've seen 2 pictures of actual cloudiness with shows on from an XBR. 99% of them are of blank screens with various camera settings to show the worse picture.

Some of you may truly have messed up sets, and I am not saying you all have OCD. I am saying that 99% of you have some kind of perfection issue that is not completely healthy and will only drive you crazy.

Now go ahead and flame me and say how I work for Sony and don't know what I'm talking about. I couldn't be a person who owns one of these beautiful sets, ran across this thread a while back from the XBR thread, and think most of you are incredibly picky people who need to realize this and move on, or return, exchange.

I'm not quite sure why anyone would buy a set today without a 30 day guarantee that almost all stores have, even online. Or, buy with a credit card and be able to dispute through your bank. You know credit card companies can do wonders.

And, if you did have 30 days to check out your TV, why wouldn't you check every aspect of said TV within that 30 day period, and/or notice this blaring issue that is so prevalent, that it's cloud central?

I'll tell you what I think, I think your sets were fine for you, and you enjoyed the heck out of them. You then noticed on black inputs/dark scenes, a little, very subtle, weird light leaking, mura, whatever it is. You went, hey, what exactly is that? Did a search, found this thread, and joined the club. Again, not all of you, but most.

OMG, it's not perfect, destroy it, be miffed, blame Sony, blame the store, they all lie, I'm screwed, report to everyone, Sony will not get my business, etc.

I know I'm grinding metal here to the posters who are here. But, to the lurkers who are just reading and not in this club, this set is awesome, go get one (with a 30 day return, no restocking fee, there are plenty), pay with a credit card if possible, get from a reputable store (BBB.org)and check this bad boy out, it's arguably the best 1080 LCD presently.
post #1559 of 9118 Old 12-15-2006, 01:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by instantpop View Post

JK, when the f*** are you just going to go away and find something better to do with your time? If you don't have anything better to do with your time, I feel sorry for you.

Is there a way to mark somebody for moderation in this forum? JK's continued disruptive posts certainly warrant it.

Yes, I have an opinion just like you, so report me.
post #1560 of 9118 Old 12-15-2006, 03:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jktrading View Post

Yes, I have an opinion just like you, so report me.

I think the photos people have posted prove objectively that there is a problem with their sets' ability to display brightness evenly, jktrading.

Eric Stewart
Catonsville, MD
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Sony Bravia S Series Kdl 40s2010 40 Inch Lcd Hdtv , Sony Bravia W Series Kdl 46w5100 46 Inch Lcd Hdtv , Sony Bravia Xbr Kdl 52xbr4 52 Inch 1080p Lcd Hdtv , Lcd Hdtv
Gear in this thread - 52xbr4 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page