Official Sony Bravia LCD Uneven Backlight/Cloudy Thread - Page 8 - AVS Forum
View Poll Results: Does your Sony 46" XBR LCD suffer from an uneven backlight or cloudy background?
YES, clouds can been seen when dark colors are displayed or when switching inputs 1,294 69.05%
NO, my screen has a perfect, fully even, backlight 580 30.95%
Voters: 1874. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #211 of 9118 Old 11-20-2006, 12:53 PM
AVS Special Member
 
totalownership's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 2,248
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 171
Thanks fellas, you guys just scared the stuffing outta me. I picked up two 32" S series Sony LCD's and they have been great. So I was considering selling my Sony RPTV and get one these babies but now I think I'm gonna just hold on to what I got and maybe get it ISF'ed instead. See if i can get some more performance out of this baby instead of getting on "Cloud 9".

AT HAMMOND ROBOTICS WE'RE BRINGING THE FUTURE ... HOME
totalownership is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #212 of 9118 Old 11-20-2006, 12:54 PM
kkt
Member
 
kkt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 15
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rare1 View Post

I said "seem"

We have not seen any pics of a defective xbr3 as of yet.

Ok, here's one pic of a defective 46XBR3 for ya. Made in Mexico, Sept. 2006. (Sorry for the bad quality but my ancient digicam is not very good at taking pictures in low light.)
kkt is offline  
post #213 of 9118 Old 11-20-2006, 12:59 PM
Member
 
Rare1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 49
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Thanks KKT I am returning the unit tonight and then I will figure out what to get.
Rare1 is offline  
post #214 of 9118 Old 11-20-2006, 01:14 PM
Senior Member
 
seattlite's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 393
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Good thing I got the extended warranty. Good excuse to get a new panel when the current quality problems are solved.
seattlite is offline  
post #215 of 9118 Old 11-20-2006, 01:16 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
miniz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Small Town X, HDTV Land
Posts: 2,267
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I just called Sony and talked with a product specialist. He was aware of the problem!! He said "I know that if you read the forums, there are many complaints about this TV". He told me that he is going to talk with someone higher higher up in tech support/product design and will call me back either today or tomorrow. I will post what he says.

"PLEASE HELP STOP HDTV ABUSE! FEED YOUR HDTV AN HD SIGNAL!"
miniz is offline  
post #216 of 9118 Old 11-20-2006, 01:19 PM
Senior Member
 
swizzir's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Oregon
Posts: 240
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by miniz View Post

I just called Sony and talked with a product specialist. He was aware of the problem!! He said "I know that if you read the forums, there are many complaints about this TV". He told me that he is going to talk with someone higher higher up in tech support/product design and will call me back either today or tomorrow. I will post what he says.

Excellent news miniz. Can't wait to hear about the call back.

One thing that I'd like to know that I forgot to ask when I talked to them is to get a statement from a tech that this is in fact out of spec behavior. Anyone had a tech say that in your calls to Sony?
swizzir is offline  
post #217 of 9118 Old 11-20-2006, 01:40 PM
Member
 
sauron256's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Minneapolis, MN
Posts: 97
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by miniz View Post

I just called Sony and talked with a product specialist. He was aware of the problem!! He said "I know that if you read the forums, there are many complaints about this TV". He told me that he is going to talk with someone higher higher up in tech support/product design and will call me back either today or tomorrow. I will post what he says.

That's wonderful news.

Let's hope Sony does the right thing. They risk some major backlash from their loyal customer base if they don't fix such a glaring fault.
sauron256 is offline  
post #218 of 9118 Old 11-20-2006, 01:58 PM
Senior Member
 
bmrowe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 465
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have been in touch with Sony since purchasing the set about a week ago, and have finally arranged for a technician to come out this Friday. I am not sure what the tech will do besides want to switch it out. Hopefully he can reaffirm the problems with some of these sets and make Sony move their feet a little bit.
bmrowe is offline  
post #219 of 9118 Old 11-20-2006, 02:38 PM
Member
 
sauron256's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Minneapolis, MN
Posts: 97
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I just had an online chat with Sony tech support. Wow. What a bunch of unhelpful people. My rep. was named Andrew and was completely unhelpful. He just ran through some scripted responses and dumped me off to get service for my TV.

No effort to even troubleshoot the problem or confirm that this is an known issue was made. This doesn't bode well.

I guess I should just call them and ask for a product support specialist.
sauron256 is offline  
post #220 of 9118 Old 11-20-2006, 02:51 PM
Senior Member
 
newone88's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 250
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
sorry guys to hear about your problems. Is this issue with the XBR only or with the v2500?
I remember reading that the panels were the same.
Also, is it with thr 46" models only or with the 40 as well?
newone88 is offline  
post #221 of 9118 Old 11-20-2006, 04:14 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
miniz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Small Town X, HDTV Land
Posts: 2,267
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Call the phone number that was posted on page 4! You will first be sent to a CSR. Explain to them your problem. They will write it down and save it on the computer system. That way anyone who answers the phone will know what you are talking about! Then after that ask to talk directly with a product specialist. Exlpain the problem in great detail and get into their head that you are just some ultra picky consumer, this is a serious defect. If you can convince them and they want to help you then they ask to call you back later. Do NOT do an online chat!!! Those people could care less. They are in India. The call centers are mostly in the USA.

Everyone who owns a set....pick up the phone and let Sony know that you don't like the clouds!! Tell them that you do not expect this on a $3xxx HDTV. Give them a call now.

"PLEASE HELP STOP HDTV ABUSE! FEED YOUR HDTV AN HD SIGNAL!"
miniz is offline  
post #222 of 9118 Old 11-20-2006, 05:48 PM
Newbie
 
fromthecreek's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 4
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I am on my second 46" XBR2 in the past 3 weeks, and have had clouding problems with both. Same trouble as everyone else describes.... "Clouding" noticeable when shuffling through inputs, while playing 360, watching TV/Movies, etc.. all during dark scenes.

Both were manufactured in October 2006. I am going back to FS to see if I can get one manufactured in August.
fromthecreek is offline  
post #223 of 9118 Old 11-20-2006, 05:55 PM
Member
 
sauron256's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Minneapolis, MN
Posts: 97
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by miniz View Post

Call the phone number that was posted on page 4! You will first be sent to a CSR. Explain to them your problem. They will write it down and save it on the computer system. That way anyone who answers the phone will know what you are talking about! Then after that ask to talk directly with a product specialist. Exlpain the problem in great detail and get into their head that you are just some ultra picky consumer, this is a serious defect. If you can convince them and they want to help you then they ask to call you back later. Do NOT do an online chat!!! Those people could care less. They are in India. The call centers are mostly in the USA.

Everyone who owns a set....pick up the phone and let Sony know that you don't like the clouds!! Tell them that you do not expect this on a $3xxx HDTV. Give them a call now.

Well, you can add me as one more person to the list of people who have called and filed an official customer complaint through Sony Level 2 support. They were very nice, but as before sounded like they didn't believe me.

However, they are sending someone out to look at my set. The L2 support person claims that if this is a QC issue, this company they're sending will report it to Sony reps. Hopefully, they send this tech out soon - at least before my 30 day return window expires.
sauron256 is offline  
post #224 of 9118 Old 11-20-2006, 06:12 PM
Newbie
 
gr0m1t's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: seattle, wa
Posts: 13
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by newone88 View Post

sorry guys to hear about your problems. Is this issue with the XBR only or with the v2500?
I remember reading that the panels were the same.
Also, is it with thr 46" models only or with the 40 as well?

not sure about the v2500. but yes, my 40xbr2 has the same problem. i'm trying the laying it flat trick to see if it helps at all. if not, i, too, will be calling. (actually, i'll probably call regardless. unless laying down makes it perfect! but i'm not holding my breath.)
gr0m1t is offline  
post #225 of 9118 Old 11-20-2006, 06:35 PM
Member
 
wemmington's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 31
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I just called Sony and OMG! The dumb*ss lady that got on the phone started to read word for word out of a book and told me that "this issue is caused by dust on the screen" and then went on to tell me how to clean my TV screen! I didn't mean to be rude but I busted out laughing at here. She finally gave me a number to a service center and said call them and thats it. She was rude as hell, I've had better customer service from India with dell. lol
wemmington is offline  
post #226 of 9118 Old 11-20-2006, 07:03 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
miniz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Small Town X, HDTV Land
Posts: 2,267
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
wemmington, call back in! do not give up! Ask to speak to level 2 once they pick up the phone.

I'm on my 3rd XBR2 and have reported all of them.

"PLEASE HELP STOP HDTV ABUSE! FEED YOUR HDTV AN HD SIGNAL!"
miniz is offline  
post #227 of 9118 Old 11-20-2006, 08:32 PM
Newbie
 
ihateyellowtext's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 4
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by newone88 View Post

sorry guys to hear about your problems. Is this issue with the XBR only or with the v2500?
I remember reading that the panels were the same.
Also, is it with thr 46" models only or with the 40 as well?

I own the 40v2500 and it is exhibiting the same cloudiness/backlight issues that have been reported on the XBR sets. It is extremely noticeable during dark scenes of movies or playing on the ps3 (especially when the ps3 logo first comes on). This is so sad because otherwise this is a great set with perfect image quality at 1080p. My HD cable receiver's signal, (ps3) Resistance FOM, and The Corps Bride (Blu-Ray) look amazing when the image is not predominantly black/dark, then the hazy clouds from hell kill the experience trying the "lay it down fix" to see if it helps. plus calling Sony tomorrow to get an official complaint logged. This is unacceptable at the premium prices Sony charges. Premium $$$ should = Premium quality.
ihateyellowtext is offline  
post #228 of 9118 Old 11-21-2006, 06:05 AM
Member
 
snowcrash001's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Posts: 100
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I returned my second exchanged TV yesterday. I'm just going to wait for next model.
snowcrash001 is offline  
post #229 of 9118 Old 11-21-2006, 09:48 AM
Member
 
wemmington's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 31
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I got a call from sony this morning and the guy was very helpful. He asked what was going on and then he said he was going to call the local service center and call me back. He called back 10 minutes later and said that they were shipping a brand new xbr2 to the local service center today and when it gets to the service center they will bring it out to my house and set it up! I'm shocked. From the call last night I didnt think I would get any help from sony but the guy that called today was awesome. Sony must now know that this is a serious problem.
wemmington is offline  
post #230 of 9118 Old 11-21-2006, 10:01 AM
Member
 
sweetp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 87
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
That's great news Wemmington. It will be interesting to see if they are aware, or will just give you another cloudy set, without really isolating the issue and making sure replacements are cloud free. At least it's a step in the right direction. I will hold onto mine until I know that I can call Sony, tell them I have a cloudy set, and then they tell me that they've solved the issue and will deliver a new cloud-free panel to my door.
sweetp is offline  
post #231 of 9118 Old 11-21-2006, 10:12 AM
Senior Member
 
swizzir's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Oregon
Posts: 240
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by wemmington View Post

He called back 10 minutes later and said that they were shipping a brand new xbr2 to the local service center today and when it gets to the service center they will bring it out to my house and set it up!

They're doing the exact same thing for me. The repair center Sony's sending it to hasn't received it yet. I hope it doesn't have the same problem. I'll let everyone know when I get it.
swizzir is offline  
post #232 of 9118 Old 11-21-2006, 11:03 AM
AVS Special Member
 
dtrell's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Akron, OH
Posts: 2,556
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I just checked my pioneer 5070 50" plasma and the picture is perfectly uniform all the way across on both light and dark screens.....LOL
dtrell is offline  
post #233 of 9118 Old 11-21-2006, 11:41 AM
Member
 
sauron256's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Minneapolis, MN
Posts: 97
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Well, after talking with the management at CC today over lunch, I was advised to return my defective XBR 2 set ASAP. The reason is that Sony may say to all it's vendors to stop accepting these sets back if this cloudiness issue gets declared as a defect and then you're stuck with it - regardless of whether you're still within the 30 day return window or not. They claim this has happened in the past before.

If you ask me, this doesn't really make any sense. However, I'm not taking any chances with getting stuck with a bad TV.

The CC staff did add that they've never had any good experiences from Sony support, and that I should not expect to get any resolution from Sony, directly.

I love the features of this Sony, but not enough to live with the clouds. So I'm sorry to say, "Bye bye Sony XBR and hello Samsung."
sauron256 is offline  
post #234 of 9118 Old 11-21-2006, 11:43 AM
Member
 
sauron256's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Minneapolis, MN
Posts: 97
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by dtrell View Post

I just checked my pioneer 5070 50" plasma and the picture is perfectly uniform all the way across on both light and dark screens.....LOL

Troll!

Though, I must admit that the plasma sets have been looking better and better following all my trials and tribulations dealing with these XBR2s.
sauron256 is offline  
post #235 of 9118 Old 11-21-2006, 11:47 AM
Member
 
Stogie1020's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 159
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
This is my first post here, and I just wanted to say thanks to all you guys for the great info on the problem with this set. Since I was planning on buying an XBR2/3, let me ask you guys this:

Does the cloudiness issue PLUS the lack of resolve by Sony to actually fix the set (as opposed to replacement with further defective ones) prevent you from recommending this set to a prospective buyer? I guess what I am asking is should I settle for the minor overscan issues and one less HDMI and buy the Samsung? Thanks in advance for any thoughts.
Stogie1020 is offline  
post #236 of 9118 Old 11-21-2006, 11:47 AM
Senior Member
 
seattlite's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 393
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Looks like the NEC's have the "clouding" problem also: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=754535

Also, wasn't there a picture in this thread that showed a "cloudy" Samsung?
seattlite is offline  
post #237 of 9118 Old 11-21-2006, 03:42 PM
Member
 
sauron256's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Minneapolis, MN
Posts: 97
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by seattlite View Post

Looks like the NEC's have the "clouding" problem also: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=754535

Also, wasn't there a picture in this thread that showed a "cloudy" Samsung?

Well, my lack of luck continues.

I just got a Samsung 4695 set home and guess what...? It's cloudy! In fact it's the worst set I've had so far in terms of cloudiness. My two other XBR2's pale in comparison. Mine looks as bad as Rare1's XBR2 does.

Grrr!!!!!
sauron256 is offline  
post #238 of 9118 Old 11-21-2006, 03:44 PM
Senior Member
 
swizzir's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Oregon
Posts: 240
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by sauron256 View Post

Well, my lack of luck continues.

I just got a Samsung 4695 set home and guess what...? It's cloudy! In fact it's the worst set I've had so far in terms of cloudiness. My two other XBR2's pale in comparison. Mine looks as bad as Rare1's XBR2 does.

If I'm not mistaken Samsung makes the panel that does into the XBR2 so I think you're getting the same panel in the 4694 that you'd get in the 46XBR2. What you've had to put up with aside it's good to get confirmation that model Samsung is bad too. Can you post some pics?
swizzir is offline  
post #239 of 9118 Old 11-21-2006, 03:53 PM
Member
 
sauron256's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Minneapolis, MN
Posts: 97
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stogie1020 View Post

This is my first post here, and I just wanted to say thanks to all you guys for the great info on the problem with this set. Since I was planning on buying an XBR2/3, let me ask you guys this:

Does the cloudiness issue PLUS the lack of resolve by Sony to actually fix the set (as opposed to replacement with further defective ones) prevent you from recommending this set to a prospective buyer? I guess what I am asking is should I settle for the minor overscan issues and one less HDMI and buy the Samsung? Thanks in advance for any thoughts.

Stogie1020: My advice is to stay away from these sets until Sony and Samsung acknowledge this issue. I wouldn't settle for anything short of a perfectly uniform screen for the price they charge for either of these sets.

Though, now that I have had the Samsung in as well as the Sony, I would tell you to spend the extra bucks to get the Sony as the picture quality as well as the other electronics seem to be superior on the Sony. PQ is by far better with the Sony.
sauron256 is offline  
post #240 of 9118 Old 11-21-2006, 04:30 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
miniz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Small Town X, HDTV Land
Posts: 2,267
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by wemmington View Post

I got a call from sony this morning and the guy was very helpful. He asked what was going on and then he said he was going to call the local service center and call me back. He called back 10 minutes later and said that they were shipping a brand new xbr2 to the local service center today and when it gets to the service center they will bring it out to my house and set it up! I'm shocked. From the call last night I didnt think I would get any help from sony but the guy that called today was awesome. Sony must now know that this is a serious problem.

I think you are going to get the same problems once again! BUT, maybe not!! I know that when Sony sends out new sets direct to service centers they are fresh off the assembly line. Just maybe... they cleaned up their act and you will get one built in November that is defect free! Let us know!!!

I got a call back from Sony today myself. I was not home to answer it but he left a message. The rep said they want to send their mobile repair crew to take a look at it then proceed further from there.

"PLEASE HELP STOP HDTV ABUSE! FEED YOUR HDTV AN HD SIGNAL!"
miniz is offline  
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Sony Bravia S Series Kdl 40s2010 40 Inch Lcd Hdtv , Sony Bravia W Series Kdl 46w5100 46 Inch Lcd Hdtv , Sony Bravia Xbr Kdl 52xbr4 52 Inch 1080p Lcd Hdtv , Lcd Hdtv
Gear in this thread - 52xbr4 by PriceGrabber.com

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off