Any Thoughts...Sceptre X32GV-KOMODO LCD? - Page 42 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1231 of 1235 Old 06-01-2009, 03:47 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Bringing this post back up! I bought this TV from Microcenter in February of 2007 and its still going pretty strong. Only downfall is a slightly noticeable band that stretches vertically on the right side of the screen. It's very easy to ignore though.

Anybody know what panel was used for these TVs yet?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1232 of 1235 Old 06-01-2009, 03:51 PM
AVS Special Member

I finally sold mine 2 weeks ago for $200. Bought a 40" 1080p Sharp from the same online Costco for about the same price as the Sceptre when new. It doesn't fit in my old entertainment system which is why I had that 32" in the first place. The slight angle doesn't seem to bother me.

As far as the Sceptre, it did a couple of years of good service. I always hated the remote response, but didn't mind the picture. Of course, it never matched the PQ of my other 47" 1080p TV, but it was 'good enough'.
post #1233 of 1235 Old 06-27-2009, 04:22 PM

I also have the vertical stripe on the right side, but I made a special pair of glasses which are slightly darker on the left to counteract it. I tried making a pair of contacts to do the same, but apparently the ink from the Sharpie wasn't dry, and now the whites of my eyes are now a little gray.

In other news, I'm revisiting this thread because I'm having a very strange problem with the ol' 32" Sceptre. In the past week or two, this problem has happened three times, with no obvious trigger: The screen very suddenly gets dark, and colors start to shift (Ever seen the plasma effect use in demoscene back in the 90's? Yeah, didn't think so...). You can still make out some of the picture, but it's really freaky. The first couple of times, it went away by itself after about a minute. The last time it happened, yesterday, it went on for a few minutes before I turned the TV off and back on (via the remote - no need to pull the AC). But before the power cycle, I switched inputs, but no change -- even the TV's OSD was screwy. The TV is in a well ventilated, air-conditioned area, attached to a UPS.

Has anyone seen this happen before? I can live with it happening once in a while, but I don't want it to be a sign of a failure waiting to happen, especially being out of warranty and all.
post #1234 of 1235 Old 05-27-2010, 07:13 AM

I've had this tv for a long time now. It still works pretty well.

But using it as a PC monitor I've never been able to get text to look clear on it. I am using Clear Type. A DVI/HDMI cable doesn't give me native resolution so I'm using a VGA cable. Does anyone have any tips to improve the look of text? Thanks.
post #1235 of 1235 Old 05-27-2010, 07:19 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pelikan View Post

I've had this tv for a long time now. It still works pretty well.

But using it as a PC monitor I've never been able to get text to look clear on it. I am using Clear Type. A DVI/HDMI cable doesn't give me native resolution so I'm using a VGA cable. Does anyone have any tips to improve the look of text? Thanks.

Funny you should ask. I have a Mac Mini plugged into my Sceptre. I, too, had to go with VGA. Using DVI->HDMI resulted in overscan and "black crush". As for clarity of text? I'm not sure what to say. The Mac does a pretty good job. I do know that if you have the refresh frequency set too high and/or have an inferior cable it can make text look bad. Make sure the refresh is set to 60Hz (higher frequencies are for CRTs - no need to go any higher on an LCD). Also, make sure you're using a cable of decent quality.
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page