Vizio 47" 1080p and 60" coming - Page 15 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #421 of 430 Old 01-16-2007, 05:48 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Just got one of these today. Guy at the store said they sold 25 yesterday. They had 4 on the floor today.

I like the set. Seems very similar to the 42 I have.

I've got a bit of a hum but it's not noticable from across the room. However, the corner "bleed" is pretty obvious. Makes like an out of focus lense circle in the middle of the screen on an all black image. I'm going to give it some time as my "clouds" on the 42 went away after awhile.

Anyone notice if this "corner" lighting goes away in time? I hope so. The set is great otherwise. Watched T2 and the picture is crisp and the colors are true.

For what it's worth, I'm a stock holder and a loyal customer. If you buy something and it functions as advertised, don't return it. If it malfunctions, EXCHANGE it and enjoy the fact there's a company that backs their customers.

I love the protection the policy offers and would hate to see it go. I live with my decisions and think that's something that's been lost with many in the last 20 years.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #422 of 430 Old 01-17-2007, 04:19 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
All of you who have questions about getting maximum resolution through VGA....it is most likely never going to happen...that is not the fault of the VIZIO...or any other flat panel...If your computer's video graphics card does not display at 1920x1080 it can't happen. If your graphics card will display at that resolution it probably already as a DVI output and you can get a cable which converts to HDMI and use one of those inputs on your TV. (cheapest ones with gold plated connectors are at wal-mart)

If you don't have a capable graphics card you can always upgrade that...depending on your PC....types are AGP, PCI or PCI Express...you can install a new graphics card that displays at least 1920x1080 on flat panels (most will display higher resolutions but not on flat panels) and make sure it has a DVI output. Most have DVI, VGA and S-video so you could also hook up a separate monitor to the VGA output and have two monitors running (one would have to be running through your computers twin viewer) plus your PIP if you are in to having three pictures at one time.

See... it isn't the Vizio's fault that you can't get 1080P through your media center...it is the fault of your computer's graphic card. I changed mine out so that we could run at 1080P and it has improved the pic quality of my non HD tv signal from Media Center substantially....it is still not an HD pic but it's much better than when we could only get 1368x768...and my entire desktop fits on the screen perfectly.

good luck!
post #423 of 430 Old 01-17-2007, 09:17 AM

Here are the settings that I have my 47 set to and they look great.

Backlight 52
Contrast 91
Brightness 46
Color 68
Tint +15
Sharp +4
Color Temp RGB 119/131/128
DNR - Low
Black Lvl Ext - On
White - On
CTI - Low
Flesh - Off
Dynamic - Off
Adv. Luma - Off
post #424 of 430 Old 01-17-2007, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeansmc View Post

All of you who have questions about getting maximum resolution through VGA....it is most likely never going to happen...that is not the fault of the VIZIO...or any other flat panel...If your computer's video graphics card does not display at 1920x1080 it can't happen. If your graphics card will display at that resolution it probably already as a DVI output and you can get a cable which converts to HDMI and use one of those inputs on your TV. (cheapest ones with gold plated connectors are at wal-mart)

If you don't have a capable graphics card you can always upgrade that...depending on your PC....types are AGP, PCI or PCI Express...you can install a new graphics card that displays at least 1920x1080 on flat panels (most will display higher resolutions but not on flat panels) and make sure it has a DVI output. Most have DVI, VGA and S-video so you could also hook up a separate monitor to the VGA output and have two monitors running (one would have to be running through your computers twin viewer) plus your PIP if you are in to having three pictures at one time.

See... it isn't the Vizio's fault that you can't get 1080P through your media center...it is the fault of your computer's graphic card. I changed mine out so that we could run at 1080P and it has improved the pic quality of my non HD tv signal from Media Center substantially....it is still not an HD pic but it's much better than when we could only get 1368x768...and my entire desktop fits on the screen perfectly.

good luck!

I have 3 laptops (Gateway, Toshiba, Dell) purchased 3, 2 and 1 year ago. All have ATI Radeon card with 128MB, each can go up to 1920x1200 and neither has a DVI output, only VGA. I think only a small amount of laptops have DVI ports. I would buy Vizio in a moment if I see how I can output 1920x1080@60hz signal from my laptop.
post #425 of 430 Old 01-17-2007, 02:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
I know I have seen this mentioned somewhere in this thread, but I have searched under both remote and codes and cannot find it!

My DirecTV Mpeg4 DVR box surprisingly does not list Vizio under the list of TV codes programmed into their remote!! :-(

I think someone mentioned the name of another TV that uses the same remote codes... do any of you folks remember what that is??

thanks

There are just two theories for successfully quarreling with a woman -- neither one works!
The Barn - Use Password = AVSForum
post #426 of 430 Old 01-18-2007, 09:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmkara View Post

I have 3 laptops (Gateway, Toshiba, Dell) purchased 3, 2 and 1 year ago. All have ATI Radeon card with 128MB, each can go up to 1920x1200 and neither has a DVI output, only VGA. I think only a small amount of laptops have DVI ports. I would buy Vizio in a moment if I see how I can output 1920x1080@60hz signal from my laptop.

I have not looked at the laptops but I am not surprised at what you said....not all graphics cards capable of 1920x1080 have a DVI output but most of the ones for desktops do now. The new one I installed in my desktop media center is a PNY 256MB. My 6 month old media center laptop does not have DVI or a tv tuner installed.
post #427 of 430 Old 01-18-2007, 10:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by gfrey View Post

Here are the settings that I have my 47 set to and they look great.

Backlight 52
Contrast 91
Brightness 46
Color 68
Tint +15
Sharp +4
Color Temp RGB 119/131/128
DNR - Low
Black Lvl Ext - On
White - On
CTI - Low
Flesh - Off
Dynamic - Off
Adv. Luma - Off

Just picked one up yesterday..... hooked it up and tried your settings..

I felt they were an improvment over the Out of Box settings... I also preferred the Movie settings to OTB.

After watching for a little while my son brought back my Oppo DVD player which he had been using on a projector project and I fired up Avia.

Initially had some problem setting contrast, so I remembered you had the black lvl ext on and the white on also. I turned those off and still had to set:

Contrast to 96 (which seems incredibly high) to get to one white moving bar on Avia.

Brightness to 47

Color to 57

Tint to Zero

Sharpness to 1

and I left the RGB settings where you had them. The color decoder check in Avia pretty much showed them all spot on.

Thanks for the head-start!

There are just two theories for successfully quarreling with a woman -- neither one works!
The Barn - Use Password = AVSForum
post #428 of 430 Old 02-08-2007, 03:55 PM

Hello everyone...Is the GV47LF the same TV as the GV47L?
post #429 of 430 Old 03-03-2007, 09:04 PM

yes
post #430 of 430 Old 03-03-2007, 11:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmkara View Post

Unfortunately you are more a victim of your laptop rather that your video card. Most laptops do not include DVI connections. My newer laptop that costs over 1300 does not have a DVI connection where the geforce 6150 will easily handle the 1920x1080 resolution there is no connection from the laptop that will handle it. My five year old desktop which has a geforce 4600 has DVI out and i get a full 1920x1080 output to my TV.
There are a number of videocards available for under 100 that will easily handle 1080p over a DVI connection
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page