Official Vizio VX32L Thread - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 2413 Old 11-17-2006, 01:38 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Moderators if I'm being pretentious in calling this Official feel free to change the title. Many people have been excited about the new Vizio and I can't find an official thread on the new model.

Well the new 32-inch Vizio Vx32L is up at the Vizio Site:

Official VX32L Site

Here's the official blurb:

The totally redesigned VIZIO 32" LCD HDTV proves you don't have to sacrifice style for technology. The elegant design of this television with it's shiny piano black bezel and ultra-slim size will make it the centerpiece to any room. This unit offers a super high 1366x768 native resolution and 1200:1 contrast ratio that will make your movies and video games come to life. HDMI connectivity makes setup fast and easy by allowing you to transfer high-definition audio and video all in one connection. This versatile television even has a PC input, so you can use it as a high-end computer monitor to enjoy surfing the Internet or playing PC games. And as with all VIZIO TV 32" and above we offer you our amazing 1 year in-home service warranty.

32" HD 1366 x 768 native LCD HDTV - Experience the superb picture quality from a flat panel high definition television at an affordable price with the compact Vizio L32HDTV.

178 Degree Viewing Angle - Our LCD HDTV's delivers an viewing angle of up to 178 degrees, resulting in a crisp and clear picture that is visible from any seat in the house.

Integrated television tuner - enjoy high definition and regular television programs with or without paid high definition service.

Zoom and Freeze Function - These functions are great when you have to copy down information displayed on the television. Do you have a favorite cooking show?

Versatile Design - Designed for maximum versatility, the Vizio VX32L is equipped with a wide variety of input interfaces. HDMI for your High Definition Cable Box. Component connection for your DVD player. RGB input for your computer. Go ahead, plug it in.

Here are the official stats:

* High resolution 1366 X 768 pixels wide screen - 16:9 ratio
* No bright pixel defects - Guaranteed
* No permanent burn in - Guaranteed
* Ideal in bright-light environments - minimal glare
* Digital HDTV & standard TV combination tuner
* All TV formats supported (1080i, 720p, 480p, 480i)
* Computer monitor (RGB) up to 1366 X 768 WXGA
* Wall mounting capable with or without speakers
* Typical lamp life of 50,000 hours, equivalent to 22 years*

Specification
Size: 32-in*
*Viewable: 32-in
Tuner: Integrated NTSC/ATSC/QAM HDTV Tuner

Format
1080i, 720p, 720i, 576p, 576i, 480p, 480i

Maximum Panel Resolution: 1366 x 768

Supported Native Resolutions
1366 x 768, 1024 x 768, 854 x 480, 800 x 600

Specification
Panel Type: 32" Diagonal*, 16:9 Wide Screen, Color TFT Active Matrix LCD
Panel Specifications: Anti-Static and hard coated surface
Pixel/Dot Pitch: 0.51mm (H) x 0.51mm (V)
Display Compatibility: HDTV (1080i)
Signal Compatibility: 480i (SDTV), 480P (EDTV), 720P (HDTV), 1080i (HDTV)
Response Time: 8 ms (typical)
Colors: 8 bit 16.77 Million colors
Brightness: 500 cd/m2 (typical)
Contrast Ratio: 1200:1 (Typical)
Viewable Angle: 178° (horizontal and vertical)

Inputs
RF(F Connector for internal Tuner: 1
HDMI whith HDCP: 2
Analog Stereo Audio for HDMI Inputs: 2
Component YPbPr plus Stereo Audio: 2
Composite Video: 2
S-Video plus Stereo Audio: 1
Computer RGB plus Stereo Audio: 1
Service Port: 1

Outputs
Analog Audio out (RCA): 1
5.1 SPDIF Digital Optical Audio: 1
Headphone (Stereo Mini-Jack): 0

Additional Information
Picture-in-Picture (PIP)
Picture-outside-Picture (POP)
Closed Caption (CC)
V-Chip
3D Comb Filter
Zoom
Freeze
3:2 or 2:2 Reverse Pull-down
ATSC with 8VSB & QAM demodulation
ATSC with MPEG-2 decoding
NTSC Video decoding via RF: Yes, thru Antenna, Cable, or Satellite
NTSC Video decoding via Video: Yes, thru CVBS, S-Video, or Component
Progressive Scan Video: Yes, thru Component YPbPr, VGA or HDMI
HDTV: Yes, thru HDMI or Component YPbPr
Computer: 640x480, 800x600, 1024x768, 1366x768 thru VGA/RGB or 640x480 thru HDMI
Sound enhancement: Yes, Virtual Surround option
Color Temperature: No
Color Fine Tuning: No
Audio: Built-in 10W x 2
Lamp (LCD) / Panel (PDP) Life: 50000 hours
Power: IEC Connector for direct power line connection
Voltage Range90 ~ 240 Vac at 50/60 HzW average
Power Consumption: 180
Removable Base

Weight
Gross:39 lbs
Net: 32 lbs
Without Stand: 29 lbs

Dimensions
Carton: 35" W x 28" H x 14.2" D
Net: 31.5" W x 23.3" H x 10.3" D
Without Stand: 31.5" W x 22.1" H x 3.9" D
Without Stand and Speakers:
Certifications: CSA, CSA-US FCC Class B, IC, BETS-7

The primary improvements seem to be better contrast, an extra HDMI input and the new case is not as wide as the old L32. One of the coax connections is lost as well, which can be bad or good depending on the user.

I'm a little verklempt, I've given you a topic, now discuss among yourselves.

"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy." - Benjamin Franklin
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2413 Old 11-17-2006, 05:17 AM
AVS Special Member

I'm definitely very interested in this set and would use it in a bedroom connected to a Directv H20 stb.

I would like to purchase this through Costco. Does anyone know when they might show up there? I inquired yesterday at the local store, but they didn't give me any real time frame.
post #3 of 2413 Old 11-17-2006, 10:51 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Would this set be decent for a living room ? Would 32" be to small? I'm planning on putting it just above my fireplace (non-operational).

Primary uses will be for the Xbox 360 & Nintendo Wii.

thanks,

Jeff
post #4 of 2413 Old 11-17-2006, 10:57 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffsiler View Post

Would this set be decent for a living room ? Would 32" be to small? I'm planning on putting it just above my fireplace (non-operational).

thanks,

Jeff

Depend on what you consider small. I compare a 32" to a regular 26" CRT. It's good for the bedroom or dorm, I don't know if I use it for a medium size living room unless I live in a very small apartment.

I think this set will be out after thanksgiving. Hopefully.
post #5 of 2413 Old 11-17-2006, 12:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

thanks,

Jeff

I'm planning on using my 32" LCD (when I buy it) in the master bedroom. It will seem large there at first, but I don't want to make the mistake of buying a 26" and finding it to be too small later.

I have a four year old Sony 34XBR800 CRT HDTV in my family room. We sit anywhere from six to nine feet away depending where you are in the room. It works fine, but if I were to buy another set today, I would opt for a 46 to 50" set.

It's a common thing to want a larger screen.....so keep that in mind.
post #6 of 2413 Old 11-17-2006, 03:25 PM

Liked: 11
The specs on the page say it doesn't have a color temp setting, but I think that it does have, because there's another model there that says the same thing and in the manual it states that it does have color temp settings. And I find it weird that the page says the vx20 has color temp. but not the vx32l.
post #7 of 2413 Old 11-17-2006, 05:10 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cawgijoe View Post

I'm definitely very interested in this set and would use it in a bedroom connected to a Directv H20 stb.

I would like to purchase this through Costco. Does anyone know when they might show up there? I inquired yesterday at the local store, but they didn't give me any real time frame.

Someone on the boards said their local Costco expected them by mid-December, but I consider that pure speculation. I know that many Costcos are running low on Vizio L32s (the previous model) and that may be an indication that the VX32's are on the way.

Quote:

thanks,

Jeff

Size is a relative thing. If you are moving from a 27-inch SD (4:3 Aspect Ratio) set a 32-inch HD (16:9 Aspect Ratio) offers about the same viewing real estate. If you have been using something larger than a 27-inch SD set then you will probably want to go with something larger than 32-inches. If you have doubts and you can afford it then start looking at 37-inch TVs.

This TV should do well for X-Box 360 because the 360 can output at 720p native and this panel is 768p native. That being the case the Vizio won't need to scale the image provided by the 360 very much. On the L32 people seemed to prefer using the VGA connection over the standard Component cable and that may be the case here as well. I would advise looking on the Vizio VX37 (the VX32 is essentially a scaled down VX37) thread and the Vizio L32 thread on these forums. I would imagine that a 360 will behave about the same on the VX32 as it does on those models.

The Wii is an altogether different proposition. The maximum resolution that the Wii can natively generate is 480p. Now it can output that 480p in wide-screen, but the VX32 is still going to need to scale that 480p to its 768p format. Who knows how well it will handle that at this point. If I were you I would look around on the aforementioned threads (VX37, L32) and see how those models handled scaling from progressive DVD payers, X-Box and PS2 games. Since those devices also output a 480p signal I would think that the scaling would be similar to what you can expect for the Wii.

The best way to get an answer is to see for yourself. Take your 360/Wii up to Costco or Sams when they get VX32s in and hook them up. Most managers won't have a problem with you hooking up your System to their TVs; they want your business.

"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy." - Benjamin Franklin
post #8 of 2413 Old 11-20-2006, 12:04 PM

Anyone actually seen these in your local Costco yet?
post #9 of 2413 Old 11-21-2006, 05:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nhlfan79 View Post

Anyone actually seen these in your local Costco yet?

Not here in Northern Virginia. In fact the Costco I go to has been out of the previous 32" Vizio model for a couple of weeks now. I was told by them to expect the new model in sometime middle of December.
post #10 of 2413 Old 11-22-2006, 09:33 AM

Hi,

The Vizio VX32L specs says that it has a single RF input to a single tuner (ntsc/atsc/qam) as opposed to a dual RF input and dual tuners (one for NTSC and one for ATSC).

My question is, can the VX32L used to view OTA HD content as well as SD NTSC (standard cable) ? How will the standard cable and OTA antenna be configured - via a RF 2 -> 1 "Y" adapter? (I do not have HD cable).

Since this is a single tuner, I suppose PIP or POP is not possible for NTSC/ATSC.
post #11 of 2413 Old 11-24-2006, 07:28 AM

Just bought one today at Costco in MA. Will set it up today after work. I'll let you know how it is. Looked great in the store!
post #12 of 2413 Old 11-24-2006, 10:01 AM

I decided to go to costco today just to see if they got the vx32l's in yet. They didn't and the person there said to expect them early december.

EDIT: went there later to get some gatorade and they had them! I didn't have enough money on me so I'm going to go pick one up tomorrow.
post #13 of 2413 Old 11-24-2006, 06:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtorc View Post

Just bought one today at Costco in MA. Will set it up today after work. I'll let you know how it is. Looked great in the store!

Sure it's the VX32L?
post #14 of 2413 Old 11-25-2006, 06:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandun View Post

Hi,

The Vizio VX32L specs says that it has a single RF input to a single tuner (ntsc/atsc/qam) as opposed to a dual RF input and dual tuners (one for NTSC and one for ATSC).

My question is, can the VX32L used to view OTA HD content as well as SD NTSC (standard cable) ? How will the standard cable and OTA antenna be configured - via a RF 2 -> 1 "Y" adapter? (I do not have HD cable).

Since this is a single tuner, I suppose PIP or POP is not possible for NTSC/ATSC.

I picked one up last night at Costco (Milford CT) - the VX32L. This will replace my aging 27" CRT in the bedroom. The PQ looks pretty decent for an LCD - that is out of the box (and analog SD). I will probably make the fine-tuning adjustments later this week.

Some notes:

1) Has only one S-Video input - on the side (for some reason, I thought it had two - most likely did not read the specs properly )

2) The box and the manual states typical response time is 8ms (I remember seeing something like 6.5ms in their website).

[EDIT #1 and #2: My bad! I was thinking of the Westinghouse W3213 wrt svideo inputs and response time]

3) PIP/POP is only possible with TV and either Compontent or HDMI. If your main window is TV, then you cannot have PIP with analog A/V inputs (e.g. s-video). Also, since this is a single tuner, you cannot have PIP with another TV channel. So, its not realy useful for my use-case (60% SD cable TV, 40% SD programming via Tivo/S-video ).

I have basic/extended SD cable (Comcast). Its not Comcast's digital (SD or HD) programming package. Just the standard analog package (afaik). I was hoping to buy an hd antenna and use a "Y" adapter to hook the antenna + SD cable into the Vizio's single RF input - but it looks like I do not have to do this. When the Vizio model "scanned" for channels on my basic SD cable, it found N analog channels and M digital channels. Flipping through the channels, I found that I am receiving HD channels (local ones such as CBS, FOX, NBC, PBS etc). The display info for these channels show up as e.g "Ch. 72-2/RF72-2 cable, 720p HD".

How is it possible for me to receive "OTA HD" channles via my basic cable? (unless this is a free service of Comcast for their basic analog cable subscribers )
post #15 of 2413 Old 11-25-2006, 07:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Sweet! I'll hit my local Costco's again today and see if they've got this set. I still think for the price this is the set I want. I was at 2 stores yesterday and they didn't have them, so this gives me hope that they should hit Colorado shortly if you guys have already bought them.

Thanks!
post #16 of 2413 Old 11-25-2006, 02:32 PM

I'm seriously debating over the VX32L vs Westy 27w7. The former being about 2.25 bills more (after the latter's rebate), but w/ Costco guarantee and 5" more size, I'm having a tough time pulling the trigger on the Westy (rebate ends today). I noticed that the VX32L doesn't have the color temp change option (nor does the model it replaces or the L37), but how critical is this for PQ? My main uses will be SD, but will upgrade to DISH HD once I choose one. So if someone can please provide some feedback on either or both of these models, or some advice, I thank you in advance. I've got a few more hours before the 27w7 deal ends, so hopefully I can make a decision soon.
post #17 of 2413 Old 11-25-2006, 04:59 PM
GGG

Quote:
Originally Posted by aggiealum View Post

I'm seriously debating over the VX32L vs Westy 27w7. The former being about 2.25 bills more (after the latter's rebate), but w/ Costco guarantee and 5" more size, I'm having a tough time pulling the trigger on the Westy (rebate ends today). I noticed that the VX32L doesn't have the color temp change option (nor does the model it replaces or the L37), but how critical is this for PQ? My main uses will be SD, but will upgrade to DISH HD once I choose one. So if someone can please provide some feedback on either or both of these models, or some advice, I thank you in advance. I've got a few more hours before the 27w7 deal ends, so hopefully I can make a decision soon.

I would go with the Vizio hands down! After looking at the 32 Westy at BB just on aesthetics alone, the Vizio makes the Westy look like a Yugo with a cheap plastic look. The new 32 seems to have the ability to color temp change like the 46. The SD picture through RCA's looks fine, the HD OTA is stunning! I just picked up the 32 this morning to go along with my 46, the 32 has more red push than the 46. Has anyone done a calibration for this set yet?

By the way my local Costco just got 18 sets in this am, I got there at 11 and there only 3 left and they didn't even bother to put one on display!
post #18 of 2413 Old 11-25-2006, 05:21 PM
AVS Special Member

I got my VX32L this morning (Costco got 3 of them overnight) and just got done wall mounting it in my bedroom. It's connected via 75 feet of component video to my HD-Tivo, and the picture is just fantastic.

Even SD material looks perfectly good to me, but the HD stuff is really good. I also have a 1080P DLP hooked up via HDMI to the HD-Tivo, but as long as that TV is off I can get component HD to the bedroom set. There's never a time when both sets would be on, so this is working out great for me.

I'm quite pleased with this set so far, no dead/stuck pixels that I can detect, and the PQ is more than adequate for me. I think for the price it would be tough to beat this set.
post #19 of 2413 Old 11-25-2006, 05:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGG View Post

The new 32 seems to have the ability to color temp change like the 46.

There's Cool, Normal, and Warm I think I recall, but you can also make a custom color temp too it looked like.
post #20 of 2413 Old 11-25-2006, 06:13 PM

Picked mine up today, out of the box i noticed a green hue in the warm color temp, and a blue in the cool.. I have yet to find a good middle ground.
post #21 of 2413 Old 11-26-2006, 02:08 AM
AVS Special Member

One small thing I've noticed is a slight buzzing/humming noise coming from the set. If I turn the backlight up to 88 or higher, the noise stops.

It's not that annoying, but I'm wondering if this is typical of this set, or LCDs in general, or if I have a bad set. I don't see much difference in the screen between the default of 80 and 88, so if running it at 88 stops the noise I doubt I'm doing too much harm.
post #22 of 2413 Old 11-26-2006, 06:06 AM

I picked one up yesturday at the costco store in Pembroke Pines Fl. They had a pallet full of them. They did not have them displayed at the store,still where being kept in the warehouse. My take on this lcd comparing it to a Samsung 3251d series,seems to be a good buy,but the overall picture on the samsung is the best I have ever seen on a lcd tv. My sammy crapped out on me on thursday,after 2 days of buying it. I took it back and got the Vizio and saved almost $500 smacks. I have been trying to tweak the picture to match the sammy but i dont think its possible. A few things i like on this set the black piano bezel,under 4"depth,pip with computer,vizio lights up when on in white,yellow when off,no dead pixels and of course its from costco where i have a good warranty. I just might keep this set...
post #23 of 2413 Old 11-26-2006, 08:13 AM

Quote:

Flipping through the channels, I found that I am receiving HD channels (local ones such as CBS, FOX, NBC, PBS etc). The display info for these channels show up as e.g "Ch. 72-2/RF72-2 cable, 720p HD".

I was looking at this set yesterday-was wondering if I should get it for a bedroom set-but are you telling me it will pick up HD channelswithout a box? (I have HD comcast in living room). If this is the case I am sold-and after going to the vizio website it says it will pick up HD without a box - quote from site: " integrated television tuner - enjoy high definition and regular television programs with or without paid high definition service." okay I might be sold now on this set.
thetman
post #24 of 2413 Old 11-26-2006, 09:42 AM

I took mine back this morning. I cant live with no detail in dark scenes,I mean no detail at all, looks like a black blob, yuck. Ill get a sony or another samsung thats it.
post #25 of 2413 Old 11-26-2006, 12:32 PM
AVS Special Member

I went over to Wal-Mart and tried to listen to their LCD sets, but couldn't detect any buzzing/humming from them. Of course, the store is noisy as well, but I put my ear right on the top of the sets and didn't hear anything.

However, I also couldn't find a backlight adjustment on any of them. I wonder if the buzzing is a side effect of running the backlight at anything but full brightness, and these other sets are just on full all the time?
post #26 of 2413 Old 11-26-2006, 01:53 PM

Quote:
I took mine back this morning. I cant live with no detail in dark scenes,I mean no detail at all, looks like a black blob, yuck. Ill get a sony or another samsung thats it.

wow, that didn't takelong-sorry to hear that-considering I was going to purchase it this week. anyone else want to give their experiences with this set-curious to know what issues people are having,thanks
thetman
post #27 of 2413 Old 11-26-2006, 02:17 PM
JDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by thetman View Post

I was looking at this set yesterday-was wondering if I should get it for a bedroom set-but are you telling me it will pick up HD channelswithout a box? (I have HD comcast in living room). If this is the case I am sold-and after going to the vizio website it says it will pick up HD without a box - quote from site: " integrated television tuner - enjoy high definition and regular television programs with or without paid high definition service." okay I might be sold now on this set.
thetman

You will receive Hi-Def channels over your cable line if Comcast sends out those signals unencrypted, i.e. not needing a set-top box.

In my bedroom I only have basic cable, no cable box, but when the VX32L was scanning for channels it picked up my local channels in Hi-Def, which I was not expecting
post #28 of 2413 Old 11-26-2006, 05:50 PM
AVS Special Member

I found a bright pixel in mine this afternoon, so I exchanged it

The new set has about the same buzzing noise, but at the default setting for the backlight (90) there is no noise. I guess that's just what happens if you reduce power to that type of bulb or light element.

I'm fine with leaving it at 90, I don't notice a tremendous difference going lower anyway. And the replacement set has no stuck pixels (yet!).
post #29 of 2413 Old 11-26-2006, 05:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDC View Post

You will receive Hi-Def channels over your cable line if Comcast sends out those signals unencrypted, i.e. not needing a set-top box.

This set only has an ATSC tuner, correct? I thought you needed a QAM tuner for cable HD broadcasts, and a CableCard if they're encrypted.

But I could be wrong
post #30 of 2413 Old 11-26-2006, 06:20 PM
Advanced Member

from their web site:

Specification
Size: 32-in*
*Viewable: 32-in
Tuner: Integrated NTSC/ATSC/QAM HDTV Tuner